Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Drag Race contracts

Even though the creator of this has the questionable nickname of "Bussy Queen" this is very interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 24, 2021 12:19 AM

World of Wonder should be investigated for a few reasons, including avoiding SAG and WGA contracts. They’re also a Cheap company. Beyond cheap.

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2021 6:45 PM

I watched it. It is very interesting indeed. One tip, this kid is good, but he talks a mile a minute, so go to settings on YouTube and slow down the playback a bit.

The contract is fucking insane. It's right up there with something Scientology would come up with.

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2021 6:50 PM

I’ve had to sign a couple of contracts to be on reality shows, and they were all pretty much identical to this one. Nothing was surprising although the twink tried to make it look exceptional.

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2021 7:26 PM

This is a pretty standard contract for reality/competition shows. Welcome to how the showbiz world works

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2021 7:28 PM

He does say there are many similarities. However when you see clauses with wording like "throughout the universe"... it does get weird. Did the ones you signed r3 have that same language? Or are you and R4 from WoW?

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2021 7:46 PM

So even the most successful queens are indentured servants.

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2021 8:04 PM

I think the base may have been a standard language thing but some of the recent changes are pretty rough and very onerous for artists.

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2021 8:13 PM

R5, my contracts also said “the universe”. I remember that because it always stuck out to me. They were never with world of wonder.

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2021 8:59 PM

Isn’t this the reason bendela quit?

by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2021 9:07 PM

"throughout the universe", the definition of universe,

1. the universe is all of space and time and their contents, including planets, stars, galaxies, and all other forms of matter and energy.

2. a particular sphere of activity, interest, or experience.

I assume it meant to be # 1, which itself also covered # 2 like fan-verse. It's an ironclad term, there is really no way for you to escape.

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2021 9:20 PM

Yeah, it's meant to be the first definition. Also there is a lot of "self renewing" built in. If you are at the very end of your contract, but they call you back in for a required appearance/action, it resets all over again. Theoretically, this could go on for years, decades even. If you haven't seen the video yet, and are surmising only from your own experiences and assuming it's similar. I encourage you to watch the video.

Also, what r7 said.

Unlike most reality shows, a number of contestants from Drag Race go on to make a very healthy income, at least pre-pandemic, so it is far more in Viacom/WoWs interest to keep them locked in for as long as possible in order to keep getting their massive cut of the action. Joe Blow and his 2 episode appearance on "The Cuntelor"...not so much.

Also, this Vice article is worth a gander, though it is less about the contract and more about the money involved

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 19, 2021 1:06 AM

R9, didn't he quit because he's an attention whore? From what I've heard he's sucking up to the show now, hoping to get back on again.

by Anonymousreply 12April 19, 2021 1:15 AM

Max from Season 7, bitter over her edit in her elimination episode, followed the advice of her boyfriend/manager at the time and deliberately held back on touring, making content, and selling merchandise while her obligation to WOW was in effect so they wouldn't get their cut. It was, of course, cutting off her nose to spite her face (RuPaul vague-tweeted at the time, "Never let your lover be your manager"), and it tanked her post-RPDR career. There were also rumors that WOW actually sued her for violating her NDA when she complained publicly about her edit.

by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2021 1:30 AM

No contract can be enforced for more than seven years. It is what killed the Hollywood studio system.

Dame Olivia made it so.

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2021 2:42 AM

Watch the video R14. These can.

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2021 7:33 AM

It sounds like a standard contract. The problem is all the teens who watch the show have a totally unrealistic view of the role of a production company. They think WOW needs to “coach” the contestants in how to avoid negative fans, how to manage their money, how to do merchandise, ect.

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2021 7:41 AM

The WoW media poodles are speaking up I see.

by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2021 5:15 PM

R12, what did you hear?

I heard Bendela quit right before the finals cause those who made the finals were contractually obligated to do certain things. By that point she knew the exposure she’d get was good enough for her so she left.

by Anonymousreply 18April 20, 2021 8:20 PM

Show is kinda over now, isn't it.

by Anonymousreply 19April 20, 2021 8:28 PM

He did another video about how much the different contestants' show clothes cost, and Gottmik was the 'winner' with a $60,000 wardrobe...!!!

How rich is this makeup artist, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 20April 24, 2021 12:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!