Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are your favorite novels published in the last decade or so?

I've fallen a bit out of touch with contemporary literature so I'm looking for some good recent books to add to my reading list. I'm especially fond of memoirs and (semi)autobiographical stuff but that's certainly not a prerequisite. And nothing too woke, please.

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2021 5:57 PM

On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2021 11:25 AM

Lincoln in the Bardo

I read it in a few days because I could not put it down.

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2021 11:30 AM

Hosseini's Kite Runner

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2021 12:08 PM

Olive Kitteridge, though I think it's more than a decade old.

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2021 1:15 PM

What Happens at Night by Peter Cameron

The Topeka School by Ben Lerner

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2021 1:20 PM

A little over a decade now, but A Great Unrecorded History- A New Life of E. M. Forester was wonderful, especially finding out he lead a relatively happy end of life in a throuple with a hot younger British policeman and his wife. The Pulitzer winning Sontag: Her Life and Work was very well done and balanced both the monster and the vulnerable woman that she was. Red Comet, the latest in the plethora of Sylvia Plath biographies is a game changing biography that is rewriting how we will understand her.

There are many great biographies on visual artists that have been written in the last year if you are into that, and also memoirs by musicians including Elvis Costello, Chrissy Hyndes and the ones by Patty Smith.

There’s been an abundant of graphic novel memoirs that have emerged in the last decade and if you haven’t explored the genre before it is very rich.

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2021 2:25 PM

[quote] Sylvia Plath biographies is a game changing biography that is rewriting how we will understand her.

How much of the content is literary and how much biographical I wonder.

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2021 8:22 PM

R7 The biography uses new information from recently discovered letters from her psychiatrist, FBI reports on her father, medical records of her grandmother and a trove of information from a researcher who was writing a biography that was never published, but the materials have recently been archived and available to researchers. The scholarship looks to be impeccable and the author works to directly dispel problematic analysis and biased issues that other biographies in the past have stated, relied on and perpetuated. There is a considerable integration of her poetry and writing passages so far from her juvenilia writings, most likely less so when it gets to well know materials she published that people are familiar with. The author stays far away from putting any her own assumptions and imaginings into the work.

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2021 8:43 PM

City on Fire - Grant Halberg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2021 10:44 PM

Never Let Me Go.

Notes on a Sacandal.

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2021 11:04 PM

The Rules of Civility - Amor Towles

The Midnight Library - Matt Haig

L'amica geniale novels/Neapolitan novels - Elena Ferrante

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2021 11:08 PM

Brooklyn by Colm Toibin

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2021 11:12 PM

"Social Creature" - Tara Isabella Burton

by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2021 5:18 PM

Hearts Invisible Furies and Ladder to the Sky - John Boyne

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2021 5:20 PM

Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2021 5:24 PM

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2021 5:28 PM

It's almost 20 years old, but I only recently read it: Dancer, by Colum McCann. It's a novelized biography of Rudolf Nureyev.

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2021 5:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!