Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ice Creams you like vs Ice Creams you dislike

What ice creams do you enjoy? Which do you hate?

Growing up my mom always bought Breyers or Haagen Dazs. We lived near a Carvel so she would buy from there too, but never the other stuff.

I eat Ben & Jerry’s here and there on my own, but my mom always hated them.

I ran out of Haagen Dazs (the only one I buy) so decided to try Turkey Hill Black Cherry. Omg what a mistake. I know people who love Turkey Hill, and I haven’t tried their other flavors, but this one tastes like the icing on a birthday cake but frozen. It doesn’t taste like ice cream.

I’m so upset. What a waste of money.

My favorite ice cream is Coffee Haagen, or their Pistachio, followed by their Cherry Vanilla.

I hate their Chocolate covered almond one. Barf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293May 1, 2021 11:53 PM

I always love Breyer’s, not so hot on Dreyer’s. I don’t like dense ice cream. The best I’ve ever had is Blue Bell, but they don’t sell it in CA!

by Anonymousreply 1April 17, 2021 11:18 PM

Baskin-Robbins

by Anonymousreply 2April 17, 2021 11:19 PM

Any commercial brand that isn't HD is lesser.

by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2021 11:21 PM

^^Says Andrew Cunnanan, back from the dead...

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2021 12:44 AM

As I get older I have become an ice cream snob. My ice cream has to be Haagen Dazs quality or higher. I love Haagen Dazs vanilla and also caramel cone. I have made the mistake as you did OP and bought that exact same ice cream. I love black cherry anything. But it has to be good quality. I don’t waste calories on crummy ice cream. There’s too many crappy ingredients in Turkey Hill. I also enjoy Strauss, McConnell’s, Graeter’s and Jeni’s ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2021 12:51 AM

I have a fondness for sherbets. I tend to stay away from anything with the word ‘mint’ in the name.

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2021 12:52 AM

R6-You have a fondness for SHERBERTS.

It's NOT 1975.

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2021 1:02 AM

Blue Bell, especially Pecan Praline.

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2021 1:05 AM

Ben and Jerry's used to be EXCELLENT but since Unilever took them over the quality has plummeted. It's too sweet and they put in high fructose corn syrup in a lot of their varieties.

Haagen Dazs is still good in spite of being taken over by Nestle's. My favorite flavor was Banana Split, unfortunately they stopped selling it about four years ago.

Carvel is still VERY good but they are EXPENISVE. I l buy a big tub of the soft serve- 2/3 vanilla and 1/3 chocolate, plus I buy a large cup of their roasted almonds to toss on top. YUM

I know I know I'm a FAT WHORE.

by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2021 1:07 AM

Actually, OP, we love Turkey Hill Vanilla Bean. Have not tried any other flavors. Heaven Daz generally remains my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2021 1:11 AM

I prefer gelato, better mouth feel and taste than ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2021 1:12 AM

R7, I meant what I said, you uncultured swine.

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2021 1:12 AM

Jeni's Almond Brittle Ice cream- her other varieties I don't care for but this one is very good.

by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2021 1:22 AM

We just moved to a place that sells Friendly's ice cream in the grocery store. In high school I used to eat at Friendly's ice cream from the restaurant and stand alone ice cream shops. Is their grocery store ice cream like the restaurant?

by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2021 1:24 AM

Jeni's sucks CUNT! What overpriced garbage. R13, I will take your word for it!

McConnell's has impressed me , however.

by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2021 1:26 AM

Friendly's was good basic American food and their sundae's were good until Hershey's took them over. Then they started to decline. They were sold again and that was the end of the end. All of the Friendly's near me are long gone.

by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2021 1:27 AM

Why do old people call them Sun-dees?

It's SUNDAYS, BITCH!!!

You want an ice cream sun-dee?

Huh!?

by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2021 1:28 AM

R17- Some people would call Hot dogs RED HOTS

by Anonymousreply 18April 18, 2021 1:30 AM

I thought it was sundaes.

by Anonymousreply 19April 18, 2021 1:30 AM

Fat people are gross

by Anonymousreply 20April 18, 2021 1:31 AM

R7 bless your heart, moron. Sherbert (pronounced “shur-bert”) is a common misspelling of sherbet that resulted from a common mispronunciation.

by Anonymousreply 21April 18, 2021 1:32 AM

R19 it is. R17 is either a dumbass or kidding.

by Anonymousreply 22April 18, 2021 1:33 AM

Are all Friendly's gone? My 70 year old mom talks about the one in the Freehold Mall. (I haven't been back to NJ in 8 years.) Do I need to get her to a doctor?

by Anonymousreply 23April 18, 2021 1:34 AM

My favourite ice creams is a sherbert sunday.

by Anonymousreply 24April 18, 2021 1:35 AM

R23- I'm in Westchester county

by Anonymousreply 25April 18, 2021 1:37 AM

R23 if only there was a way to find out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 18, 2021 1:37 AM

R11- Wouldn't you say that a COCK has a better mouth feel than either Gelato or Ice Cream.

by Anonymousreply 27April 18, 2021 1:38 AM

Y'all too fancy for me.

I like Kroger brand. Peanut Butter & Jelly. Chocolate Brookie. Rocky Road. During the holidays they make a mean Spumoni.

by Anonymousreply 28April 18, 2021 1:38 AM

R22- In the northeast old people pronounce sundaes "sundees" it drives me crazy,

by Anonymousreply 29April 18, 2021 1:39 AM

I can't think of a brand of ice cream I've liked since Brown's Velvet and K&B went the way of the dodo.

Brown's Velvet Black Walnut was manna from heaven, tasting exactly like the black walnuts from my mom's family farm in South Carolina. Their Banana Split was incredible, as well.

K&B's Creole Cream Cheese ice cream could make you weep from pure, innocent gladness.

That was long before American ice cream--hell, American ANYTHING--became too fucking sweet.

Our mother always said sweetness will never take the place of good quality ingredients and flavor. And building flavor takes time, whether it's ice cream, pecan candy, biscuits, coconut cake, gravy, tomato sauce, or fig preserves.

by Anonymousreply 30April 18, 2021 1:40 AM

R29- I'm from the Northeast and I pronounce it SUNDAY

by Anonymousreply 31April 18, 2021 1:41 AM

Been having a craving for Turkey Hill lemon pie ice cream lately.

One of the best I've encountered was Hood's Rhode Island coffee ice cream studded with chocolate lighthouses, which had liquid caramel centers.

by Anonymousreply 32April 18, 2021 1:42 AM

after almost an entire lifetime I'm back to my childhood with BR (who was in their Birthday club for a free cone?)

My grandmother in Cleveland called it Sunduh (born in 1900) R31

by Anonymousreply 33April 18, 2021 1:43 AM

Believe it or not I buy the Breyers low carb vanilla because it’s not too sweet.

by Anonymousreply 34April 18, 2021 1:44 AM

HD mint chip mixed with HD chocolate. Or, HD caramel cone mixed with chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 35April 18, 2021 1:45 AM

When I was a kid ca. 1979 my mother would make one of her fabulous cakes , such as- Sour Cherry Crumb Cake and serve it with softened ( by leaving it on the counter for 30 minutes- this was before microwaves were ubiquitous) Schraffts Ice Cream which at that time was THE premium ice cream before Haagen Dazs and Ben And Jerry's appeared.

by Anonymousreply 36April 18, 2021 1:45 AM

R33 You give me life, Chile!

WHAT THE FUCK IS A SUN-DUH???

Sun-dee is bad enough.

But Dun-DUH?

Fly up and hang with me tonight, my liege!

by Anonymousreply 37April 18, 2021 1:47 AM

Also, I was first man mounted on a place called Turkey Hill.

He found me from behind and intruded on my rosebud on Turk-ee Hill.

I barely felt it.

by Anonymousreply 38April 18, 2021 1:49 AM

I go to Whole Foods at least once a week. The last three Sunday's in a row I bought Whole Foods Organic Ice Cream Sandwiches. They are GOOD.

Yes, yes - FAT WHORE here.

by Anonymousreply 39April 18, 2021 1:53 AM

R37 i did not know it was a St Louis thing

Tivoli Majors, a linguist and assistant English professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, says the pronouncing of sundae as “sunduh” is only found in St. Louis. “There is speculation that some started to pronounce ‘sundee’ much like they took the word “opera” and pronounced ‘opree.’’’ With influence from the northern dialect, Majors suggests that “sundae” became pronounced as “sunduh.”

by Anonymousreply 40April 18, 2021 1:54 AM

R39 has pig sized loved handles.

So sad for you. Why don't you eat spinach for desert like NORMAL GOD FEARING FOLKS??

Sinner!

by Anonymousreply 41April 18, 2021 1:55 AM

R40. WTF?

I must google this Tivoli Ma-hors as I consume my PIG SIZED Brownie Sun-dee!

I love my brawn-tee sund-dee!!!!

by Anonymousreply 42April 18, 2021 1:57 AM

R41- You mentioned pigs. That gives me a craving for PIGS IN THE BLANKET. I must go to Stop and Shop tomorrow and buy a BIG thing of frozen FRANKS in a blanket. The ones made from beef.

F. Whore

by Anonymousreply 43April 18, 2021 2:00 AM

B+J:

Chubby Hubby Peanut Butter Cup

You’re welcome, Fatties!

by Anonymousreply 44April 18, 2021 2:01 AM

[quote] The last three Sunday's

Oh, dear R39

by Anonymousreply 45April 18, 2021 2:06 AM

McConnells ice cream used to have a great flavor called banana salted caramel. I loved it but they stopped making it.

by Anonymousreply 46April 18, 2021 2:40 AM

Love my McConnells! East Coast but have it shipped at XMAS.

by Anonymousreply 47April 18, 2021 2:44 AM

Though Friendly's restaurants have largely disappeared, their ice cream is available in many grocery store. Hands down, they have the best black raspberry ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 48April 18, 2021 2:44 AM

I wlll say- that I like Turkey Hill's Coffee Ice Cream.

It melts far quicker with hot fudge for Ice Cream Sun-dees

But it is 1/8 the cost of Haagen Dazs!

by Anonymousreply 49April 18, 2021 2:47 AM

R49 i may try their vanilla bean and coffee.

But this black cherry is not good.

by Anonymousreply 50April 18, 2021 2:55 AM

R 50- I know that you are serious about this shitty black cherry.

The coffee is actually okay. Truly. And I am a picky BITCH. Hell, I am a fan of McConnell's Turkish coffee (creme de la creme)

The Turkey Hill Coffee flavor is a a really good buy.

by Anonymousreply 51April 18, 2021 3:01 AM

Gelaterias in Italy are amazing.

Oh my god, so delicious. We have one in my city in the UK. Really gorgeous ice cream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 18, 2021 3:03 AM

The best ice cream I ever tasted was near Cedar Point in Ohio, a place called Tofts Dairy. Just heaven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 18, 2021 3:03 AM

I buy our "step-up" store brand HEB Creamy Creations because there's no HCFS vs the regular store brand. It's still cheaper than HD or B&J's but tastes just as good.

by Anonymousreply 54April 18, 2021 3:11 AM

R52- It's VERY late in the UK.

What are you still doing up?

by Anonymousreply 55April 18, 2021 3:39 AM

Haagen Daz is hands down the best widely available supermarket ice-cream out there. Their coffee and strawberry flavours are outstanding.

Preferring B+J's to HD is a sign of poor breeding.

by Anonymousreply 56April 18, 2021 4:10 AM

R56- B+J used to be EXCELLENT now it's AVERAGE.

by Anonymousreply 57April 18, 2021 4:12 AM

R55 I couldn't get back to sleep after getting up for a wee in the night.

by Anonymousreply 58April 18, 2021 8:52 AM

My mom used to take me to a Carnation ice cream parlor on Ventura Blvd, in Studio City. They had the best strawberry ice cream I've ever tasted. I've never had better over my lifetime. These days I'm not much into ice cream. There were two flavors I always loved, orange custard and lemon custard. I can't find them anymore so if I want one of them I'm forced to make them from scratch. Too lazy though.

by Anonymousreply 59April 18, 2021 10:27 AM

Graeter’s. The End.

by Anonymousreply 60April 18, 2021 10:46 AM

r60 - I second the nomination for Graeter's from Cincinnati. The raspberry chocolate chip is amazing!

by Anonymousreply 61April 18, 2021 10:48 AM

I still like Breyers - but you have to be careful. Some flavors are ice cream and some flavors are "frozen dairy dessert". I only buy flavors that are ice cream.

I like Ben and Jerry's ice cream, but they always put too much shit in there and sometimes I just want ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 62April 18, 2021 10:53 AM

BlueBell Butter Pecan because it’s really buttery.

by Anonymousreply 63April 18, 2021 11:10 AM

R59 what made it taste so good? Fresh strawberries? Texture? I love strawberry ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 64April 18, 2021 11:11 AM

In my neck of the woods in NE Pennsylvania, the best ice cream, both "hard" and "soft," came from a local company with the delicious name of "Grablick's."

It is still extant and still makes the best ice cream. I only prefer the big three in ice cream: vanilla, chocolate or strawberry.

Never a fan of exotic flavors.

by Anonymousreply 65April 18, 2021 11:17 AM

Haagen Dazs Chocolate covered almond vanilla is meh at best. Too much hard candy in there.

by Anonymousreply 66April 18, 2021 12:47 PM

Turkey Hill has a very good Dutch Chocolate and the best of all is Southern Butter Pecan.

by Anonymousreply 67April 18, 2021 2:29 PM

Why can’t anybody make a good banana ice cream? I’ve been addicted to it since I was a kid. I’ve made it home with ok results but my ice cream machine is gigantic and ancient and running out of freon.

by Anonymousreply 68April 18, 2021 7:03 PM

Trader Joe's makes a Cookie Butter flavor that I cannot keep in the house because it will disappear in 24-48 hrs.

by Anonymousreply 69April 18, 2021 7:07 PM

Anyone who says "sherbert" also had egg creams.

by Anonymousreply 70April 18, 2021 7:08 PM

It's sherbet and sundae, not sherbert and not "ice cream Sunday."

by Anonymousreply 71April 18, 2021 7:14 PM

Beware *** Haagen Dazs fans: the quality of the ice cream bars has gone down.

by Anonymousreply 72April 18, 2021 7:14 PM

R68

We had great banana ice cream at a local place in NJ when I was a kid (Buxtons), but haven't encountered that flavor much since.

by Anonymousreply 73April 18, 2021 7:26 PM

I was a fat kid growing up in Ohio from a diet of United Dairy Farmers chocolate malts, and my parents always had Neapolitan ice cream and pineapple sherbet in the house. Most there still say ‘sherbert’. Lol. Ice cream is still my primary fix today, and the regionalism is something I always try when travelling. I developed a taste for both green tea and durian ice cream spending time in East Asia.

by Anonymousreply 74April 18, 2021 7:27 PM

I love a good green tea (matcha) ice cream as well.

by Anonymousreply 75April 18, 2021 7:39 PM

First World Problems!

by Anonymousreply 76April 18, 2021 7:43 PM

Oh dear

The DARFUR ORPHAN troll

by Anonymousreply 77April 18, 2021 7:44 PM

Is the Blue Bell Bride's Cake ice cream any good?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 18, 2021 7:45 PM

Haagen Dazs Pineapple Coconut doesn't get the love it deserves.

by Anonymousreply 79April 18, 2021 7:45 PM

Green tea was one that I associate with Japanese restaurants in my distant youth.

I dislike strawberry, and pineapple, but almost any other flavor okay.

Am linking one ice cream that struck me as especially toothsome - corn kernels great for crunch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 18, 2021 7:48 PM

R79- My 7x6 COCK doesn't get the love it deserves.

by Anonymousreply 81April 18, 2021 7:54 PM

Any ice cream that’s in a gallon or half-gallon size is horrible. It’s pints or nothing. But lately people have been putting horrible quality ice cream in pints too. Magnum pints are disgusting and taste like frozen Cool Whip yet they sell them for the same price as Haagen Dazs. Museum of Ice Cream pints taste like shit.

by Anonymousreply 82April 18, 2021 7:58 PM

Thrifty Ice Cream, now sold by Rite-Aid, but not sure if it's available outside California/the Southwest.

by Anonymousreply 83April 18, 2021 7:59 PM

R82 thats what Turkey Hill Black Cherry Tastes like to me. Cool Whip. Or Cake Frosting frozen. Only it’s not thick enough.

by Anonymousreply 84April 18, 2021 8:00 PM

I LOVE getting a Carvel soft serve vanilla in a cone with the Chocolate dip.

The cherry dip is artificial fun too.

by Anonymousreply 85April 18, 2021 8:02 PM

Salt and Straw ice cream is not that good. I don’t understand the lines. It’s $13 a pint, up from $11 just 2 years ago. Their ice cream has tapioca flour as a main ingredient and also Xathem gum which gives the ice cream a horrible mouth feel. These are things true ice creams like Haagen Dazs don’t have.

by Anonymousreply 86April 18, 2021 8:04 PM

R78 That flavor looks delicious.

by Anonymousreply 87April 18, 2021 8:05 PM

I briefly liked Cold Stone Creamery.

I had just finished a session with my SHRINK and was walking by one of their stores. This was in 2004. I bought cherry ice cream and they added chopped cherries to it , topped it with REAL whipped cream all in a waffle cup. YUMMY

Unfortunately the other 2 or 3 times after that I found their ice cream tasteless and OVER priced.

by Anonymousreply 88April 18, 2021 8:08 PM

I have never been more disappointed than when I tried Biscoff ice cream. I love the Biscoff brand and thought cookie butter ice cream would be amazing but they use such an inferior ice cream that it tasted like cookie butter Cool Whip. Why disparage your brand by using such bad ice cream? It could have been really great if they used Haagen Dazs quality ice cream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 18, 2021 8:12 PM

Now Cold Stone really does taste like frozen frosting. It has the consistency of frosting too.

by Anonymousreply 90April 18, 2021 8:14 PM

Talenti, and nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 91April 18, 2021 8:15 PM

I used to love Cold Stone but they’re just meh these days

by Anonymousreply 92April 18, 2021 8:16 PM

Talenti is overrated, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 93April 18, 2021 8:34 PM

R93- It's not surprising considering that Unilever owns Talenti and Ben & Jerry's ( which they ruined)

by Anonymousreply 94April 18, 2021 8:36 PM

Talenti is for the storage jars once the contents are gone! Coincidentally, I just bought two today on sale: caramel sea salt and pistachio.

by Anonymousreply 95April 18, 2021 8:40 PM

Don't put anything too hot in those Talenti plastic jars, though. Cool off things, first. Otherwise, yes, good, clear plastic jars that you can reuse for storage.

by Anonymousreply 96April 18, 2021 8:44 PM

Blue Bell - Bride's Cake (Amaretto), Banana Pudding, and Spiced Pumpkin Pecan. Vanilla bean also a solid choice. I have to look for my favorites in the small container bc fitting in my pants is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 97April 18, 2021 8:48 PM

We used to eat Sealtest back in the day. Delicious. I'm a Talenti fan now and buy it when it is priced under 4 dollars--which isn't often. I like the raspberry sherbet eaten with the dark chocolate. Tastes like eating a raspberry chocolate from See's Candies.

by Anonymousreply 98April 18, 2021 8:54 PM

Growing up, we always had a plastic tub of a local dairy's vanilla ice cream in the freezer. It was hard as hell to scoop out. I suppose that was the higher fat content.

As an adult, I'm happy to have less dense options like Graeter's (black raspberry chocolate chip) or Jeni's (Texas Sheet Cake).

by Anonymousreply 99April 18, 2021 9:05 PM

R99 I like Graeter’s as well but why do they have to put chocolate chips in everything? I just want plain old black cherry.

by Anonymousreply 100April 18, 2021 9:08 PM

Try Haagen Dazs cherry vanilla.

by Anonymousreply 101April 18, 2021 9:10 PM

[quote] It’s pints or nothing.

You mean single serving.

by Anonymousreply 102April 18, 2021 9:13 PM

Haagen Dazs "pints" are now 14 ounces, so an even smaller single serving.

by Anonymousreply 103April 18, 2021 9:15 PM

R101 thats what I usually buy lmao.

by Anonymousreply 104April 18, 2021 9:17 PM

Grocery-store and cheap brand ice creams push it to the absolute legal limit they are allowed to inflate ice cream with air to fill the containers and still label it ice cream according to the FDA. Which is why it is only half the amount when it melts.

Haagan-Dazs has the least amount of air inflation you can buy at the store.

by Anonymousreply 105April 18, 2021 9:17 PM

Another vote for Haagen Dazs. Cherry Vanilla is their best, but I also like Pistachio, Pineapple Coconut, Rocky Road, Coffee and a few other flavors.

I agree that Ben and Jerry's is too sweet, but I think their Pistachio is outstanding, and Cherry Garcia is also quite good.

Breyers isn't what it used to be. Some of the flavors aren't even labelled ice cream anymore. But I will still occasionally buy their Cherry Vanilla.

by Anonymousreply 106April 18, 2021 9:21 PM

When will it be safe to go to Italy again so I can have real gelato?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107April 18, 2021 9:23 PM

I grew up in Oregon and was spoiled with our local brands, Tillamook and Umpqua. Umpqua's chocolate peanut butter ice cream was my childhood favorite--it's plain chocolate ice cream with large, hardened chunks of sweet peanut butter in it. Simple, but it's so good, and the peanut butter is what really makes it.

As far as Tillamook goes, I've never really had a flavor I didn't like. They used to sell an amazing sticky bun ice cream with cinnamon and brown sugar which was delicious, but I haven't seen it in awhile. They have a malted milkshake ice cream too which is great if you like malt flavor (I personally love it). Some of the fruit variants are good too--they sell a peaches and cream one with real peaches in it which is amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108April 18, 2021 9:24 PM

Kristen Bell recently mentioned going to 24-hour Meijer's with her friends in high school to buy Sanders Bumpy Cake Ice Cream, which you Michiganders will be familiar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109April 18, 2021 9:28 PM

Based on and inspired by Sanders Bumpy Cake

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110April 18, 2021 9:30 PM

Butter cream flavored ice cream sound disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 111April 18, 2021 9:33 PM

[quote] Blue Bell - Bride's Cake (Amaretto), Banana Pudding, and Spiced Pumpkin Pecan.

In other words, the white trash flavors.

by Anonymousreply 112April 18, 2021 9:34 PM

R95, R96 you probably already know this but never put those Talenti plastic containers in the dishwasher. They will warp. Even in the top rack. Hand wash only!

by Anonymousreply 113April 18, 2021 9:38 PM

I like vanilla

by Anonymousreply 114April 18, 2021 9:39 PM

[quote]I go to Whole Foods at least once a week. The last three Sunday's in a row I bought Whole Foods Organic Ice Cream Sandwiches. They are GOOD.

Yes, yes - FAT WHORE here.

Oh, Fat Whore I love ice cream sandwiches-I never thought to look at Whole Foods. But now I'll check them out

by Anonymousreply 115April 18, 2021 9:40 PM

I generally don't like store bought "premium" ice cream. I did like Haagen Daaz cookies and cream back when it was easily found. But beyond that, I guess I'm trash lol. I just like the local dairy air whipped basic ice cream -- the type my mom would always buy. Though I really don't eat that much ice cream at this point.

by Anonymousreply 116April 18, 2021 9:40 PM

Another person who misses Schraffts. Their coffee ice cream was delicious and had a lovely, creamy texture.

by Anonymousreply 117April 18, 2021 9:42 PM

[quote] I just like the local dairy air whipped basic ice cream

What! Why? Why don’t you just buy a tub of Cool Whip to eat then? Much cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 118April 18, 2021 9:43 PM

My favorites are butter pecan, rum raisin, & Baskin Robbins' lemon chiffon

My least favorite is Pistachio.

by Anonymousreply 119April 18, 2021 9:46 PM

Rum raisin is awful. No taste.

I bought the Haagen Daaz Rum Raisin a few weeks back and it was inedible.

by Anonymousreply 120April 18, 2021 9:51 PM

I don't really like Baskin-Robbins ice cream (flavors aren't great), but if I had to choose a flavor, it would be pistachio. Doesn't taste like pistachio, but has crispy almonds in it.

by Anonymousreply 121April 18, 2021 9:53 PM

What are YOUR favorite flavors then, Mr. Fancy @ R112? Jesus, what a tiresome snob you must be.

by Anonymousreply 122April 18, 2021 9:55 PM

Breyer's is awful. I do not get the love. Take their vanilla (PLEASE!) It's like ice-milk. Texture is bad, flavor is not good. MANY other brands have VASTLY superior ice-creams to Breyer's.

by Anonymousreply 123April 18, 2021 9:55 PM

The only American ice cream I have ever seen sold in Italy is Haagen Daz. It's pretty courageous of them to do so.

My local supermarket carries it. One day I bought it and served it to my Italian friends. The simple vanilla. It passed approval with everyone.

Now back in the US, I have to say the only supermarket ice cream in the spirit of Italian gelato is Haagen Daz. No, it's not the same but it's closer than the others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124April 18, 2021 9:55 PM

It annoys me how so little ice-cream is fruit based these days. Fruit ice-creams are by far the best. But you go into some ice-cream shops and the only one you'll see is "Strawberry". And most strawberry ice-creams are SO lack-luster.

My favorite ice-creams? Banana, peach, raspberry, cherry, black cherry, lemon, apple-cinnamon, apricot, black raspberry, mango....

Growing up we made our own damn ice-cream on the regular. Most frequent flavors we made from scratch were banana and raspberry and strawberry, because they were the easiest.

by Anonymousreply 125April 18, 2021 9:58 PM

Baskin Robbins Chocolate Chip is great

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126April 18, 2021 10:02 PM

R107 When in Italy stay away from gelato joints that display their gelato in that manner. Those gooey sticky glistening mounds are for the tourists.

This is what the serious stuff looks like:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127April 18, 2021 10:05 PM

R125, Haagen Dazs mango?

by Anonymousreply 128April 18, 2021 10:09 PM

I agree R125. I think mango is pretty easy to find, but I had this tart cherry sorbet in France that I still think about, have never found anything like it in the US. Very refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 129April 18, 2021 10:10 PM

Beware the Haagen Dazs mango sorbet, though. Tastes like overripe mangoes.

by Anonymousreply 130April 18, 2021 10:12 PM

[quote] The only American ice cream I have ever seen sold in Italy is Haagen Daz. It's pretty courageous of them to do so.

But it looks like they also sell Magnum, the worst ice cream in the world, so they have no room to talk.

by Anonymousreply 131April 18, 2021 10:19 PM

I learned the hard way about Talenti jars by trying to store hot rice without waiting for it to cool; wouldn't have considered the dishwasher as they strike me as too flimsy to withstand the water pressure.

Funny story about rum raisin: I always considered it a WASPy item, until I saw it sold at a Latin supermarket. Butter pecan and maple walnut are about as WASPy as ice cream gets.

Having moved recently from the west coast, I will miss Tillamook! Luckily, ice cream is an area where Publix does well.

by Anonymousreply 132April 18, 2021 10:29 PM

R31 Magnum is a snack ice cream sold mostly as ice cream bars. It is a Belgian brand (originally Danish) and of high quality. It is sold in every country in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 133April 18, 2021 10:29 PM

I like the Magnum bars.

by Anonymousreply 134April 18, 2021 10:45 PM

You bastards have made me go on an ice cream run. Hope you’re happy.

by Anonymousreply 135April 18, 2021 10:46 PM

You bastards have me eyeballing my old ass ice cream maker and my overripe bananas! Too bad I don’t have any heavy whipping cream on hand or it would be on!

by Anonymousreply 136April 18, 2021 11:00 PM

Ben & Jerry’s Coffee Heath Bar Crunch

Haagen Daz Strawberry

Haagen Daz Coffee

Blue Bell Creole Cream Cheese

by Anonymousreply 137April 18, 2021 11:26 PM

I have found that Blue Bunny chocolate is an incredible ice cream. In fact, for the cost, I like Blue Bunny brand.

Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 138April 18, 2021 11:38 PM

If I go to the grocery store and I see even ONE sugar free or low fat ice cream brand, I'mma have fuck me up a bitch!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 139April 18, 2021 11:43 PM

ONLY Haagen Dazs

by Anonymousreply 140April 19, 2021 12:05 AM

R109, R110 I concur that that is amazing ice cream! My mother introduced me to the bumpy cake back in the 70s. It’s still remains a favorite of mine.

R111 The entire ice cream is not butter cream. It’s just a little bits of butter cream in addition to chocolate frosting, and chocolate cake mixed into the ice cream. It’s very good. Give it a try if they sell it near you.

by Anonymousreply 141April 19, 2021 12:37 AM

R132-, Kate Lawrence on FAMILY once made homemade Rum Raisin ice cream for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 142April 19, 2021 12:43 AM

I miss Ben and Jerry's WAVY GRAVY ice cream which was discontinued in 2006.

by Anonymousreply 143April 19, 2021 12:44 AM

Italian gelato has lots of fruit flavors. Much more so than American ice creams.

What does cantaloupe gelato taste like?

by Anonymousreply 144April 19, 2021 12:45 AM

R115- You won't be disappointed.

Whole Foods Organic Ice Cream Sandwiches are very TASTY.

by Anonymousreply 145April 19, 2021 12:47 AM

I'm craving Talenti pistachio.

by Anonymousreply 146April 19, 2021 12:54 AM

R64 Honestly, I don't know. It tasted very fresh and was lightly creamy. There was enough air in it that it wasn't 'hard' and buttery like some of the premium ice creams. I don't like heavy, overly rich ice cream. I'm thinking it was because it was a true Carnation parlor. It was fresh.

by Anonymousreply 147April 19, 2021 12:55 AM

Talenti salted caramel truffle layered pints wow! The different textures are a real treat. I liked it better than Ben & Jerry’s chunky monkey which is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 148April 19, 2021 12:56 AM

Here in west Michigan we have a regional brand, Hudsonville, that is quite good and has a wide variety of flavors. It’s typically the only ice cream I’ll buy. Their Bananas Foster Flavor is amazing!

by Anonymousreply 149April 19, 2021 12:58 AM

The talenti pint containers are excellent for holding your pot stash.

by Anonymousreply 150April 19, 2021 12:59 AM

I love caramel but the caramel used in the Magnum bars is sickly sweet

by Anonymousreply 151April 19, 2021 12:59 AM

Don't believe the skinny girl DataLounge fat whore rhetoric.

I love burying my face between two big ice-cream fattened ass cheeks.

by Anonymousreply 152April 19, 2021 1:00 AM

Ice cream threads on DL never fail to get well over 100 responses.

You all type fat ;)

by Anonymousreply 153April 19, 2021 1:02 AM

The only ice cream that matters is Sealtest.

by Anonymousreply 154April 19, 2021 1:16 AM

R153 find one example

by Anonymousreply 155April 19, 2021 1:17 AM

I don’t usually like butter pecan ice cream. But then I tried Talenti’s gelato version. It is excellent!

by Anonymousreply 156April 19, 2021 2:12 AM

R156 i may have to try that

by Anonymousreply 157April 19, 2021 2:35 AM

R53 Get to the Point!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158April 19, 2021 3:51 AM

I've always been more of a frozen yogurt person than ice cream; it's just too dense for me (ice cream). i like gelato better than ice cream. that said, i like Rocky road and mint choc chip ice cream. i don't ever buy it so i don't have brands to name.

by Anonymousreply 159April 19, 2021 3:59 AM

[quote] Magnum is a snack ice cream sold mostly as ice cream bars. It is a Belgian brand (originally Danish) and of high quality. It is sold in every country in Europe.

Magnum is NOT of high quality. I had to throw my pint out because the texture was like Cool Whip. And I NEVER throw ice cream out so you know how bad it was. Completely inedible. They have a good gimmick of cracking the chocolate shell but it’s useless if the ice cream itself is no good.

by Anonymousreply 160April 19, 2021 8:31 AM

[quote] Whole Foods Organic Ice Cream Sandwiches are very TASTY.

Do they make this in store? Do they sell it at their deli or bakery? Or is it a pre-packaged thing?

by Anonymousreply 161April 19, 2021 8:32 AM

R21 yes! I was staring at that in confusion for ages, wondering why on Earth anyone would make sherbert-flavoured ice-cream. For those who don’t know, in Britain sherbert refers to a sugary-sweet and fine flavoured edible powder, used to make a drink bubbly or eaten by itself using fingers or a confectionary stick. We don’t make ice-cream from it.

As for ice-cream, I’m partial to brown bread, myself, preferably homemade by a local parlour. Whisky & ginger is quite nice, too, and honeycomb is also rather a lovely flavour though hard to find. For a more orthodox choice, I find strawberries & cream or clotted cream hard to beat.

by Anonymousreply 162April 19, 2021 8:59 AM

R162 Sweets separated by a common language. Sherbet in North American is essentially a sorbet with usually 1-2% milkfat added. It’s like Smarties and not Smarties in the US. What they call Smarties are Fizzers here. They’d assume UK Smarties are an off brand of M&Ms. More confusingly, Canadians call Fizzers Rockets. The foam bananas you get in the Sweet Shop here magically transformed into orange ‘Circus Peanuts’ in the US, yet they still mysteriously have the ersatz banana flavour instead of tasting like peanuts or maybe oranges as you’d expect. So much lost in translation! ;-)

by Anonymousreply 163April 19, 2021 2:07 PM

[quote]Magnum is NOT of high quality.

I see that Magnum has been bought out by Unilever. So I stand corrected: it used to be high quality.

by Anonymousreply 164April 19, 2021 4:53 PM

Also: Magnum built its reputation on chocolate covered ice cream bars and cones. Not pints of ice cream. Those are a recent addition.

by Anonymousreply 165April 19, 2021 5:13 PM

Magnum reveals it's level of quality by constantly being on sale and marking everything down

by Anonymousreply 166April 19, 2021 5:22 PM

R161, I've seen the 365 or Whole Foods brand ice cream sandwiches in the freezer section. It's located where al the other ice cream stuff is located. (It's premade, like Fat Boys.)

It's on my list to try as well.

by Anonymousreply 167April 19, 2021 5:24 PM

Try to give some business to the small ice creameries. The families who still do this are committed to quality. Best of the best is Graeter’s out of Cincinnati. Meijer grocery stores carries it, as well as some others. They’ve been making it since 1870.

by Anonymousreply 168April 19, 2021 9:36 PM

[quote]Try to give some business to the small ice creameries.

I would, but I live in Brooklyn and a lot of it is hipster, artisanal nonsense and I really don't like rosewater and white peppercorns in my ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 169April 19, 2021 9:44 PM

This is the best ice-cream in the world:

Graeter's Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip (CHUNK!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170April 19, 2021 11:57 PM

R169, right?

Everyone's always pushing "Jenni's" ice-cream on me, but it's utter shit. First of all, anyone who wants to eat fig, anise, and goat-cheese ice-cream needs their fucking head examined. Second, when I found a flavor that wasn't ridiculously pretentious bullshit, "Berry Crumble", it was extremely over-priced and VERY mediocre. STORE BRAND ice-creams are better for chrissakes.

by Anonymousreply 171April 19, 2021 11:59 PM

Haagen Dazs Chocolate Peanut Butter is the only ice cream that feels decadent enough to me to justify the splurge.

by Anonymousreply 172April 20, 2021 12:02 AM

HEB's "Creamy Creations" Banana-Peanut-Butter ice-cream is amazingly good.

by Anonymousreply 173April 20, 2021 12:03 AM

R171 I believe Jeni’s uses cream cheese at its base rather than egg yolks. I have made ice cream using both and I prefer the egg yolks.

by Anonymousreply 174April 20, 2021 1:50 AM

Jennni's ice-cream is over-priced over-rated shit.

by Anonymousreply 175April 20, 2021 2:52 AM

R175- Jeni's ice cream has ONE good flavor which I mentioned earlier in this thread- Jeni's Almond Brittle Ice cream. -

by Anonymousreply 176April 20, 2021 3:12 AM

R101? Are you talking to me?

by Anonymousreply 177April 20, 2021 3:22 AM

Talenti Belgian Milk chocolate

Haagen Dasz vanilla Swiss almond or HD coffee

Much cheaper than air fare to Rome for gelato

Anything else is just not worth the Kcals

by Anonymousreply 178April 20, 2021 3:40 AM

Turkey Hill mint choco chip is great

by Anonymousreply 179April 20, 2021 3:50 AM

Thanks to you guys, I bought some ice cream sandwiches while shopping today. Not any premium brand, but good.

Another quick ice cream fix for me is the McDonald's vanilla ice cream cone. I get it in the drive through and eat it while driving.

by Anonymousreply 180April 20, 2021 3:52 AM

In Paris Berthillon is amazing ..sold near Norte Dame..small family co

by Anonymousreply 181April 20, 2021 3:54 AM

I'm the original poster who mentioned how good Whole Foods Organic Ice Cream Sandwiches are. I just looked at my receipt- $4.99 for a box of 6. That's very reasonable , especially considering how good they are.

by Anonymousreply 182April 20, 2021 3:56 AM

R108 — I love Tillamook. I haven’t been able to get all 28 flavors currently manufactured but have been able to experience 18. (This is Michigan.) Among the flavors which stand out: Old-Fashioned Vanilla, Chocolate, Waffle Cone Swirl, Peaches & Cream, Malted Moo Shake, Cookies & Cream, Coffee Almond Fudge and, one flavor I would not normally get but which surprised me, Birthday Cake. Want to try some other flavors I can’t get: Marionberry Pie, Mountain Huckleberry, White Chocolate Raspberry, Banana Split, Udderly Chocolate, Monster Cookie, and Oregon Hazelnut & Salted Caramel.

R149 — I am in the area of Detroit, Michigan. Every store here which has any supply of ice cream carried Holland, Michigan-based Hudsonville. I first tried it when I was given a birthday sundae in a restaurant that used Creamy Vanilla from Hudsonville. It is fine ice cream. I have been appreciating more of TIllamook; so, at some point, I will get back to Hudsonville when I am ready.

by Anonymousreply 183April 20, 2021 4:05 AM

R183 all you need is some Häagen-Dazs vanilla ice cream and Saunders milk chocolate hot fudge. It’s truly wonderful!

by Anonymousreply 184April 20, 2021 5:07 AM

R30 -- Fellow New Orleanian here. Too young for K&B, but oh boy do I remember Brown's Velvet pecan praline ice cream dearly. Blue Bell's Mocha Almond Fudge is a sweet coffee experience that'll make you stay up all night.

by Anonymousreply 185April 20, 2021 11:46 AM

R178 I remember reading in one of the ‘Lets be Lesbians’ threads here that Haagen Dasz Vanilla Swiss Almond is an extremely sapphic preference.

by Anonymousreply 186April 20, 2021 11:59 AM

Yesssss, R185, Brown's Velvet pecan praline was my late Mom's favorite, as well!

Reminds me of a story Mom often told: She grew up in upcountry South Carolina, where they pronounced it "PeaCAN PRAYleen." When she married my father and moved down to Louisiana, Daddy had to set her straight: from now on, it was to be "PuhCAHN[soft"p"] PRAH-LEEN." Which was rich, considering his country-ass family in rural Pointe Coupee Parish always said "PUH[hard"P"]-CAOHWN PrawLEEN."😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 187April 20, 2021 1:36 PM

R187, here in Texas it's puh-CAHN PRAY-LEEN.

by Anonymousreply 188April 20, 2021 1:47 PM

R188- Here in the north it's PEEKAHN

by Anonymousreply 189April 20, 2021 1:49 PM

I like a good butter brickle, but you don't see it that much. You see things with toffee that aren't quite the same and of course butter pecan. I find there's a lot of variation within brands - a single brand will nail some ice creams and other ones in their line up are trash.

I've never been a big fan of Ben and Jerry's and their everything but the kitchen sink approach. Lol. Even the more basic, simpler flavors, I'm not a big fan of B&J. Mint Chocolate Cookie is decent.

by Anonymousreply 190April 20, 2021 4:13 PM

[quote] Here in the north it's PEEKAHN

I'm from NJ and MA, pronouncing it more with a short I than a long E (pih-kahn).

by Anonymousreply 191April 20, 2021 5:03 PM

[quote]I've never been a big fan of Ben and Jerry's and their everything but the kitchen sink approach.

Lots of junky trashy flavors . And those cutesy names and labels. . I find Ben and Jerry's revolting.

by Anonymousreply 192April 20, 2021 5:04 PM

I love rum raisin. I also love ginger ice cream, which has a nice tang.

by Anonymousreply 193April 20, 2021 5:16 PM

[quote[R188]- Here in the north it's PEEKAHN

I don't. I use "Puh-kahn."

by Anonymousreply 194April 20, 2021 5:19 PM

Hey R39, R115 and other ice cream sandwich fans. If you’re on the West Coast there’s one called the Cream’wich. It’s delicious! I found it at Whole Foods and at Gelsons. They’re pricey but worth it in my opinion. Check out the store locator at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195April 20, 2021 7:41 PM

Anyon got U.K. brands and flavours they highly recommend? Preferably available to order in the South-West.

by Anonymousreply 196April 21, 2021 12:33 PM

Yes, R188, but y'all also say [italic]BY-OH[/italic] for bayou.

Tsk, tsk😘

by Anonymousreply 197April 21, 2021 6:23 PM

I'm from the north and I KNOW I'm pronouncing it wrong when I say - New OrLEENS.

by Anonymousreply 198April 21, 2021 6:36 PM

I still love Superman ice cream as an adult!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199April 21, 2021 6:42 PM

R54 Is "HCFS" the new "WHET" on DL?

by Anonymousreply 200April 22, 2021 1:29 AM

Does anyone remember Ben & Jerry's Schweddy Balls?

by Anonymousreply 201April 22, 2021 1:53 AM

r199 Fuck Superman ice cream. All those pretty colors and it's just vanilla? But, I guess it stays true to the name.

by Anonymousreply 202April 22, 2021 2:22 AM

I like my own homemade ice cream, and can't understand why people who like ice cream don't make their own.

Laziness? Ignorance?

Plus, it EASY.

by Anonymousreply 203April 22, 2021 2:33 AM

R202 it actually has a distinct taste to it. Can’t put my finger on what it tastes like but it tastes good!

by Anonymousreply 204April 22, 2021 2:38 AM

The food coloring is the distinct taste.

by Anonymousreply 205April 22, 2021 2:41 AM

I'm going to get out my Cuisinart ice cream maker and start making my own this summer. I haven't been happy with store bought ice cream in awhile. The only good ice cream is expensive and I'm not spending a fortune for a small pint that I would eat in one sitting.

by Anonymousreply 206April 22, 2021 3:19 AM

Homemade sounds great, but some of us have never created from scratch before. If you know how to make excellent ice cream, then please share your recipes.

by Anonymousreply 207April 22, 2021 9:06 AM

Even so much so-called 'gourmet' ice-cream is shit these days. If you check the label you see glucose and vegetable gums as substitutes. Vile.

by Anonymousreply 208April 22, 2021 9:28 AM

Good story here on Berthillon: definitely one of the world's finest ice-creams. I had to laugh about the poster who said they would eat a pint at a sitting: a sign of crap ice-cream. You could only eat at most a small scoop or two of Berthillon. The natural flavours are so incredibly intense, and intensely satisfying, you savour it. But it's always best to only buy it at the Ile St Louis shop, not the couple of street vendors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209April 22, 2021 9:36 AM

For a while, there was a brand called Lady Horton’s Ice cream in Michigan. Their double strawberry was hands down the best ice-cream I have ever tasted. It lasted for a couple of years, the only place I could find it was in Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 210April 22, 2021 10:14 AM

I don't know why but I can't see myself buying an ice cream from a brand called 'Turkey Hill', not least because it seems to have to plaster 'REAL Ice Cream' all over the packaging as if to somehow trick you into believing that it is. Like, what the fuck else is it going to be?

Haagen or Ben & Jerry's for me.

by Anonymousreply 211April 22, 2021 11:19 AM

Ben & Jerry's had an amazing "Chocolate Cherry Garcia" frozen yogurt that I really miss and haven't seen in years.

by Anonymousreply 212April 22, 2021 1:35 PM

R212 yeah I agree, I used to love that as well and haven't seen it for ages - assume it's been discontinued :-(

by Anonymousreply 213April 22, 2021 4:19 PM

Turkey Hill is pretty good, R211, but sorry you don't care for the packaging.

by Anonymousreply 214April 22, 2021 7:27 PM

Most commercial brands are far too sweet and many just so artificial tasting

Haagen-Dazs uses few ingredients and it has a smooth consistency.

by Anonymousreply 215April 22, 2021 8:23 PM

Berthillon paraît magnifique, r209.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216April 22, 2021 8:39 PM

If I buy ice cream, it would be Ben & Jerry's. I haven't had it in a while, so maybe it's not as good as it used to be. I'll buy ice cream in town...two places that make their own home made...delicious.

by Anonymousreply 217April 22, 2021 8:47 PM

I'm another Ohioan who is spoiled by Graeter's ice cream. I can buy it at my local Kroger, but I have a couple of Graeter's ice cream parlors within a few miles from my house, where I can still sit down to eat an ice cream sundae, and pick up some cookies or pastries to bring home. I'm a purist, so I usually buy their Madagascar Vanilla Bean ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 218April 23, 2021 12:22 AM

I love banana ice-cream... but why does everyone think you have to put fucking walnuts in banana ice-cream? NOTHING ruins a good banana ice-cream faster than putting fucking walnuts in it! STOP DOING THIS!

by Anonymousreply 219April 23, 2021 4:31 AM

I bought some Tillamook marionberry ice cream, but I will have to buy Haagen-Daz next time.

by Anonymousreply 220April 23, 2021 4:45 AM

What's fascinating about Berthillon for a foreigner is how tiny the scoops are. About a 1/4 the size of an American ice-cream scoop. But 4 times the flavour.

by Anonymousreply 221April 23, 2021 7:01 AM

But it looks huge at R216.

by Anonymousreply 222April 23, 2021 7:22 AM

Blue Bell is the best ice cream

I'm a fat eldergay and I have tried everything (even lived in U.K. for a while during the 70s -their ice cream sucked back then) and trust and believe this old fattie - Blue Bell is the best.

by Anonymousreply 223April 23, 2021 8:36 AM

McConnell's black cherry

by Anonymousreply 224April 23, 2021 8:44 AM

Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey...mmm mmm

by Anonymousreply 225April 23, 2021 12:13 PM

R224, HEB's "Creamy Creations" is actually better.

The Blue Bell "King Cake" ice cream was just fucking disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 226April 23, 2021 2:10 PM

r14 the ice cream that was scooped and sold from the Friendly's shops and restaurants was different from the pre-packed gallons sold in grocery stores under their label. It was denser (less air), firmer and more flavorful. Their restaurant vanilla ice cream was superb, an all-time favorite.

The stuff sold under their name in grocery stores is average at best, over-whipped and full of fillers. Its a shame about the bricks-and-mortar shops, many have shut down or closed and there are very few left nowadays. No place left in the Northeast to get a refreshing Watermelon Cooler (watermelon sherbet, sprite, and club soda) in the summertime, shame.

by Anonymousreply 227April 23, 2021 3:05 PM

R219 I too am a banana ice cream fanatic! And I hate anything else added to it except maybe caramel. I may have to dust off my old ice cream maker and make it myself! If you’re interested in making it yourself this is a pretty good recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228April 23, 2021 6:04 PM

[quote] I had to laugh about the poster who said they would eat a pint at a sitting: a sign of crap ice-cream. You could only eat at most a small scoop or two of Berthillon. The natural flavours are so incredibly intense, and intensely satisfying, you savour it.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 229April 23, 2021 6:06 PM

In the South, we have peach ice cream in the summer when peaches are in season. Homemade peach ice cream is amazing!

I don't think they even have peach ice cream up North.

by Anonymousreply 230April 23, 2021 6:15 PM

Homemade strawberry ice cream is also amazing. But so is Haagen Dazs strawberry ice cream. (I don't even really like strawberries.)

by Anonymousreply 231April 23, 2021 6:24 PM

R230 I may have to try making peach ice cream this summer. I also make cherry ice cream when the cherries are in season. I want to get my hand on some marionberries and try to make ice cream with them as well.

by Anonymousreply 232April 23, 2021 6:32 PM

Ben & Jerry's is awful. Tastes chemically in addition to all their silly flavors.

by Anonymousreply 233April 23, 2021 6:41 PM

You fat whores going on and on about banana ice cream. Just make a healthier version with a yonana!

by Anonymousreply 234April 23, 2021 7:00 PM

How about I make one with yo mama?

by Anonymousreply 235April 23, 2021 7:23 PM

Do they still make Sealtest?

by Anonymousreply 236April 23, 2021 7:39 PM

Is that a sealant? Seems like something you would get at Home Depot.

by Anonymousreply 237April 23, 2021 7:41 PM

I enjoy Breyer's , Dolley Madison, Haagen Dazs, Turkey Hill, HALO, Blue Bunny and Ben & Jerry ice creams.

I don't enjoy ENLIGHTENED and non-dairy frozen desserts and store generic brands. These taste artificial.

by Anonymousreply 238April 23, 2021 7:42 PM

I can remember growing up and my mother making homemade ice cream outside and my job was to make sure it had plenty of ice and rock salt. I had to turn the crank on the machine before we got an electric maker. For my hard work, I got to lick the beater when the ice cream was ready. I'll never have ice cream as good as that again.

Summer was so much fun when I was a kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239April 23, 2021 7:50 PM

[quote] I enjoy Breyer's , Dolley Madison, Haagen Dazs, Turkey Hill, HALO, Blue Bunny and Ben & Jerry ice creams.

Who the fuck enjoys Halo? It’s more of a necessity thing for keto dieters.

by Anonymousreply 240April 23, 2021 8:25 PM

The only really enjoyable ice cream left is Carvel's soft serve vanilla ( especially dipped in chocolate).

by Anonymousreply 241April 23, 2021 8:29 PM

I adore the Sealtest troll.

When I was a very little boy growing up in New York I do recall that brand! I remember liking it.

I don't think we ever had it in New England, we moved up here in the late 80's..

The brand up here similar to Sealtest was/is probably "Hood".

by Anonymousreply 242April 23, 2021 8:53 PM

Hoodsies, yum. With the little wooden spoon.

by Anonymousreply 243April 23, 2021 9:00 PM

Back in the late 70s there was an ice-cream brand (maybe a "store brand") called "Gaylord".

Gaylord Chocolate Ice-cream was ... weird. It was pink, not brown, and it tasted NOTHING like Chocolate. But it was DELICIOUS whatever it was. I remember it fondly, and I really miss it.

by Anonymousreply 244April 23, 2021 11:27 PM

When I was a kid, we always had Sealtest or Breyers...or the Acme brand of butter pecan ice cream. Back then, even the Acme brand was pretty good. Maybe it had better ingredients then, or as a kid, I didn't know better..lol. My dad always had his huge bowl of butter pecan every night, while watching the 11 o'clock news. He was slim, too.

by Anonymousreply 245April 24, 2021 12:41 AM

R245, wasn't the Acme brand of ice cream called Ideal....or am I remembering wrong?

by Anonymousreply 246April 24, 2021 1:33 AM

R234 wtf is a yonana?

by Anonymousreply 247April 24, 2021 1:43 AM

American ice cream is awful. It's weird. I wonder why gelato shops haven't caught on in American?

by Anonymousreply 248April 24, 2021 1:45 AM

R246...Yes, it was called Ideal. I forgot that. Great memory... :)

by Anonymousreply 249April 24, 2021 1:59 AM

Does anyone remember Mellorine? It was an imitation ice cream that was popular in the 1970s because it was cheaper than ice cream. My grandparents used to serve it to us grandkids when we visited.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250April 24, 2021 3:18 AM

[quote][R234] wtf is a yonana?

It's a machine that turns frozen fruit (esp. bananas) into a soft serve treat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251April 24, 2021 5:42 AM

How is that different from a blender?

by Anonymousreply 252April 24, 2021 6:11 AM

Seriously, Breyers is just awful. The texture of ice-milk. Bland. Why the fuck would anyone choose that over any of the far superior ice-creams out there?

by Anonymousreply 253April 24, 2021 6:15 AM

This shit is DA BOMB!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254April 24, 2021 6:17 AM

R251 I have never heard of that kitchen gadget before. Do you own one? Is the frozen fruit tasty?

by Anonymousreply 255April 24, 2021 7:16 AM

Bring em bring em bring em, bring em home some Brighams

by Anonymousreply 256April 24, 2021 7:42 AM

Whenever Ben and Jerry's is on sale, I would buy them a lot, don't really pay attention to particular flavors, just grab them. Once I picked one called "Justice Remixed", I thought it was a tie in with the comic movie "Justice League", but it's not, it's about social justice,

Cinnamon & Chocolate Ice Creams with Gobs of Cinnamon Bun Dough & Spicy Fudge Brownies

It's a miss for me, I don't like it, they don't blend well together, especially the "spicy" brownies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257April 24, 2021 7:42 AM

I just woke up from a dream in which I went to Berthillon and lots of their flavors on little tiny cones. The last one I tried was so beautiful, vanilla studded with something red, but it turned out to be beets.

Going back to bed.

by Anonymousreply 258April 24, 2021 8:21 AM

Ben & Jerry's Netflix & Chill'd is a recent favorite.

Also plain old Giant Eagle brand rainbow sherbet. Not technically ice cream, and not particularly "good", but I love it. It's like eating a big, neon-colored bowl of childhood.

by Anonymousreply 259April 24, 2021 9:22 AM

Frusen Glädje, of course.

I always was pulling shit like this-

Mom, can we stop and get some ice cream? No, you stay here- I'll run in! (Convenience store)

Okay, little one. (She has in mind your standard 1/2 gallon of some mid range brand)

I head right to the top quality pints with the fanciest packaging and most foreign sounding names.

Open up the car door-

What did you get?

Frusen Glädje, SUCKER!!!!

My mother would flip the fuck out.

By the 2nd time, I was never allowed "to run in" again.

by Anonymousreply 260April 26, 2021 9:36 PM

Ice cream is plural?

by Anonymousreply 261April 26, 2021 9:37 PM

Has anyone ever had Earl Grey flavored ice cream. I've seen it around the net & on TV but never had the chance to try it.

It sounds delicious. Is it any good?

by Anonymousreply 262April 26, 2021 9:43 PM

R261. That made me laugh. What a bitch you are.

Ice Cream is not plural. Kind of like deer?

by Anonymousreply 263April 26, 2021 9:44 PM

Monica Colby for Frusen Glädje

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264April 26, 2021 9:44 PM

R262! McConnells makes an Earl Grey and cookies (biscuits) ice cream.

I love McConnells.

by Anonymousreply 265April 26, 2021 9:45 PM

THANK YOU R264! Need I say more?

Of course I chose the ice cream of Ms Tracey Scoggins and shaped like a Swedish Sculpture.

Only the best will do.

(Shocked that it was still around in 1988) I was 9 in 1986 and I thought that the ice cream was discontinued that year..

by Anonymousreply 266April 26, 2021 9:47 PM

Damn you, R264. You had me thinking there was something wrong with my sound for a few moments. Then I realized it was the shitty audio on that commercial. Looks good though.

by Anonymousreply 267April 26, 2021 9:50 PM

The Ben & Jerry's mix-ins are hit or miss.

Breyer's is a shadow of what it once was. Carvel had an odd consistency---haven't had it in ages and haven't really wanted it.

Super market ice cream often has been awful---Kroger's Country Club line, never really melted and always tasted of chemicals.

Graeter's--based in Ohio but with widening distribution is fantastic and rich. Jeni's (also from Ohio) is oddly popular even though it's really bland.

by Anonymousreply 268April 26, 2021 9:59 PM

Agreed- Jeni's is particularly overrated. Coolhaus is TERRIBLE. Who fucks up vanilla? They did! They call it World's Best Vanilla- Not.

McConnells is well worth it. It has a more homemade vibe and is delicious.

Graeters I have had and was very good.

I really enjoyed the simplicity of Humphrey Slocombe too. Their Malt Ice Cream truly tastes like an old fashioned milkshake!

by Anonymousreply 269April 26, 2021 10:03 PM

Bluebell

delicious

by Anonymousreply 270April 27, 2021 6:29 AM

Maggie Moo's no sugar added was the bomb.

by Anonymousreply 271April 27, 2021 2:52 PM

Right now I'm eating Coolhaus Sweet Cart Churro Dough ice cream .

It's good.

by Anonymousreply 272April 27, 2021 7:49 PM

So there are no good supermarket ice creams?

by Anonymousreply 273April 27, 2021 8:31 PM

R273- I bought my ice cream at Whole Foods.

by Anonymousreply 274April 27, 2021 8:46 PM

R273, HEB's "Creamy Creations" Ice-Cream is quite good.

I generally like it better than Blue Bell.

by Anonymousreply 275April 28, 2021 4:30 AM

Biscoff ice cream is on sale for $2.99 at Safeway. When I picked up a pint, I couldn’t believe how light it was. How could a pint weight so little? A Haagen Daz pint weighs twice as much.

by Anonymousreply 276April 28, 2021 5:32 AM

They whip a lot of air into it.

by Anonymousreply 277April 28, 2021 2:04 PM

The Kroger Private Selection ice creams are very good. I think they're the best ice cream out there for the money. It's not as good as Haagen-Dazs, but it's half the cost.

by Anonymousreply 278April 28, 2021 4:31 PM

I get so confused about ounces being used to measure weight AND volume. How does that make sense?

by Anonymousreply 279April 28, 2021 5:08 PM

"Ounces" and "Fluid Ounces" are two different measures.

by Anonymousreply 280April 28, 2021 5:52 PM

I like Lewis Brothers Ice Cream on Commercial Street in Provincetown.

by Anonymousreply 281April 28, 2021 6:58 PM

I love Lactaid chocolate ice cream. It's so smooth, creamy and rich you won't believe it's lactose-free.

by Anonymousreply 282April 28, 2021 7:16 PM

Whole Foods has a line of the large tubs for only $6.00, which is about what a mere pint of the fancy brands cost.

The flavors are basic, unfortunately. WF does have a line of "gourmet" ice cream, but they're the overpriced pints.

I agree with the poster who singled out Turkey Hill mint chocolate chip. But it's hard to find.

My family lived in Italy when I was a kid, and the gelato there was unlike our American kind, with a different texture. And the pops were quite small. It wasn't a full-scale dessert, just a bonne bouche to get a sweet taste. I wonder if all European ice cream is different from ours.

by Anonymousreply 283April 28, 2021 8:48 PM

I was excited to try Tillamook marionberry pie ice cream the other day. It was just meh. The actual marionberry swirl is very scarce and the little pieces of pie scared about were like eating a little clumps of doughy blah. Not gonna buy this again.

Jeni’s sells a Brambleberry crisp ice cream that is much better! Too bad no one makes a really good marionberry ice cream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284May 1, 2021 5:27 PM

Now that we all can get the creamy ice creams made of natural ingredients, all those artificially constructed ice creams America used to have are going extinct

by Anonymousreply 285May 1, 2021 5:40 PM

If you ever go to Britain, try clotted cream ice cream. I guess clotted cream (a very creamy butter that needs a more appetizing name) is the base. It can be found in ice cream shops everywhere.

So extraordinary. Even more creamy than gelato.

by Anonymousreply 286May 1, 2021 5:42 PM

[quote]Oh, Fat Whore I love ice cream sandwiches

This thread is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 287May 1, 2021 6:50 PM

[quote]I don't know why but I can't see myself buying an ice cream from a brand called 'Turkey Hill', not least because it seems to have to plaster 'REAL Ice Cream' all over the packaging as if to somehow trick you into believing that it is. Like, what the fuck else is it going to be?

Frozen dairy dessert, R211. I feel like people were pretty clear in this thread about how, in the US at least, a lot of ice cream is no longer ice cream but whipped air-filled dairy dessert that cannot be legally called "ice cream."

Turkey Hill coffee ice cream is really good. Their Rocky Road is a bit too sweet.

by Anonymousreply 288May 1, 2021 7:03 PM

R286. I have an ice cream maker and would be curious to try to make ice cream using clotted cream. I am in Southern California and my store sells clotted cream and also double cream. Could you make ice cream using either one or just the clotted cream?

by Anonymousreply 289May 1, 2021 7:09 PM

I don't like that name CLOTTED cream.

It sounds like CLOTTED ARTERIES.

by Anonymousreply 290May 1, 2021 7:14 PM

As an ice cream alternative, try eating straight mascarpone cheese. You can put honey or whatever you like on it. I bought the Crave Brothers brand a while back and it was unbelievably delicious. Yes, tons of calories, maybe more than ice cream, actually. You can probably use it on scones, subbing for clotted / Devonshire cream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291May 1, 2021 7:17 PM

[quote]Jeni’s sells a Brambleberry crisp ice cream that is much better!

I tried that, and talk about meh. The texture, the flavor, everything was just bleh. I do NOT get why anyone raves about Jeni's. It's grossly over-priced mediocre pretentiousness, and nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 292May 1, 2021 7:50 PM

[Quote] . I am in Southern California and my store sells clotted cream and also double cream. Could you make ice cream using either one or just the clotted cream?

Since you have an ice cream maker, experiment a little

by Anonymousreply 293May 1, 2021 11:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!