Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Russians are whining over sanctions

Should we feel sorry for them?

How much is Russia going to hurt for the next four years?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 20, 2021 1:36 PM

LOL. Putin’s propagandists don’t even know what “gaslighting” is; they’re just parroting the term because they know it sounds bad to many Americans who *also* don’t know it is.

by Anonymousreply 1April 17, 2021 10:49 PM

Sadly, like all cases of sanctions, I imagine it won't really hurt the people it should. Those who feel it most will be the struggling and everyday people, who have nothing to do with the reason for the sanctions in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 2April 17, 2021 10:49 PM

Haha R1, I thought the exact same thing!

by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2021 10:50 PM

Fuck them. I hope Biden nukes their shithole country!

by Anonymousreply 4April 17, 2021 10:51 PM

I wonder if we have ever interfered electronically in Russia.

by Anonymousreply 5April 17, 2021 10:53 PM

They are all worth hurting. Every single one.

by Anonymousreply 6April 17, 2021 10:54 PM

Wait till the masses cannot buy vodka. Then Vlad the pedo is a gonner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 17, 2021 10:56 PM

Do most Russians know that Putin is a pedophile?

by Anonymousreply 8April 17, 2021 10:57 PM

Probably censored and most too pissed to care

by Anonymousreply 9April 17, 2021 10:59 PM

Let them eat cake

by Anonymousreply 10April 17, 2021 11:23 PM

Tell them to go whine to the former guy whatsisname and Moscow Mitch. Putin needs to send a delegation to Maralago.

by Anonymousreply 11April 17, 2021 11:26 PM

I hope they suffer.

by Anonymousreply 12April 17, 2021 11:27 PM

Russia is basically a nation of Serfs.

by Anonymousreply 13April 17, 2021 11:43 PM

R6, you've met all 145+ million of them? You [italic]were[/italic]busy on your holiday.

by Anonymousreply 14April 17, 2021 11:48 PM

How much are they already hurting? Vlady was a nobody-KGB guy when he got into government, now he's worth 70 Billion. Seventy Billion Dollars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2021 12:12 AM

If they're upset, they should take it out on Vlad. America voted out our psychopath in chief. Aren't they tired of dying of kratom and rotgot vodka? Their ancestors from Stalingrad are fucking REPULSED by them.

Their elderly and children fought harder during the winter seige of that city than their young men do today against a homegrown dictator.

Put down the bottles, you wasted sacks of shit! Alexi Navalny has the ONLY set of balls in that entire fucking country and Putin is almost done killing him.

May Parkinson's rot your every synapse, Vlad 🖕🏽

by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2021 12:15 AM

Russians in the US are lucky people aren't dragging them out into the streets and beating the shit out of them.

At least not yet.

by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2021 12:20 AM

HA HA! Enjoy your sawdust and borscht rations for the next 4 years, comrades!

by Anonymousreply 18April 18, 2021 12:23 AM

Biden's sanctions are specifically targeted to certain persons and business entities so the average Russian shouldn't be directly affected.

by Anonymousreply 19April 18, 2021 12:40 AM

Thanks for reading the article, R19!

by Anonymousreply 20April 18, 2021 12:41 AM

Poor snowflakes

by Anonymousreply 21April 18, 2021 12:43 AM

[quote] Russians in the US are lucky people aren't dragging them out into the streets and beating the shit out of them.

Lets please make this happen.

by Anonymousreply 22April 18, 2021 1:30 AM

Hope they OD on Vodka

by Anonymousreply 23April 18, 2021 1:32 AM

[quote]I wonder if we have ever interfered electronically in Russia.

The US military blocked Russian attempts to hack into US voting systems on the day of the 2018 midterms. If they've fucked around in Russia's cyberspace they haven't mentioned it publicly.

by Anonymousreply 24April 18, 2021 1:49 AM

State Dept has warned Putin not to let Alexi Navalny die. He's on hunger strike and close to kidney failure. Navalny's death could trigger the sanctions on the 35 individuals on the list that was provided on his behalf to the US government. It includes most of Putin's cronies and oligarch friends who might have assets frozen and properties seized as well as being denied access to foreign currency.

by Anonymousreply 25April 18, 2021 7:32 PM

The Russians live on petrol and gas revenues. It pays for everything and the government has a surplus. They don't need us they can find plenty of countries that still want to play with them, like Hungary, Syria, Iran and Serbia. Navalny will die and additional sanctions will not deter Russia from being a bad actor. The FSB and Military Intelligence are running their global operations without restraint. As long as Putin can pay Russian pensions and there are no restraints on gas and oil exports he will do fine.

by Anonymousreply 26April 18, 2021 7:44 PM

Putin's favorite deflection trick is to accuse his political opponents of his own crimes like "gaslighting."

Trump may have learned this behavior from Putin. They're both psychopaths.

BRING ON COLD WAR II

by Anonymousreply 27April 18, 2021 7:52 PM

I hope that the sanctions will cause Russian to cut back on its army of internet trolls, bots and other tactics that flood message boards like DL. It doesn’t work. It merely makes us hate the Russian state and alienates potential allies.

by Anonymousreply 28April 18, 2021 7:55 PM

The Russians don't care if you hate them. They don't travel in the west much and have little contact with Americans. They vacation in the former republics of Yugoslavia and Bulgaria.

by Anonymousreply 29April 18, 2021 8:03 PM

Ah... but our economic policies and global antagonisms keeps their economy contained. Russia would benefit from American and Western goodwill.

by Anonymousreply 30April 18, 2021 8:12 PM

Yes, but not enough to make a difference. The Russians still back Putin after all these years. We can't troll back because we are so ignorant of Russian politics, history and culture. We have ZERO Russian speakers in intelligence and the foreign service - which puts us at a huge disadvantage in trying to fight back. At the same time we are still leaders in global popular culture which extends our influence in other ways.

by Anonymousreply 31April 18, 2021 8:19 PM

Putin needs to be defeated. I'm sick of his Evil reign of Russia and I'm sick of seeing and hearing about his Evil ass.

by Anonymousreply 32April 18, 2021 9:02 PM

R29 Not true they love to travel in Italy when I was there on vacation 2 years ago they were everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 33April 18, 2021 9:19 PM

r32 You will have to wait until either he gets sick and dies or is overthrown by a somebody in Russia.

by Anonymousreply 34April 18, 2021 9:21 PM

A lot of Italians learn Russian at school too, which kinda surprised me.

by Anonymousreply 35April 18, 2021 9:25 PM

So send dump over there and they can draw and quarter him in Kremlin Square.

by Anonymousreply 36April 18, 2021 9:28 PM

Unfortunately, our Evangelical and white nationalist friends here in the USA admire Putin's Russia as a country that hates gays and abortion.

by Anonymousreply 37April 18, 2021 9:33 PM

The whole world should freeze them out, neither buy, sell nor trade with them. Let them go back to eating their house pets and making wallpaper soup, like during WW2.

They are a hostile foreign power who murder and poison opponents, and perpetrate cyber warfare around the world.

by Anonymousreply 38April 18, 2021 9:53 PM

[quote] I wonder if we have ever interfered electronically in Russia.

Probably — but subtly as a real tech superpower would.

Like the way we heavily damaged Iran’s nuclear research facilities. No one would have ever known about it but for Israeli meddling.

by Anonymousreply 39April 18, 2021 9:57 PM

It will take a very long time to rebuild our power and credibility after Trump. I am not sure we can ever get back to where we were. The Israelis damaged Iran's reactors on their own.

by Anonymousreply 40April 18, 2021 10:07 PM

They miss their useful idiot.

by Anonymousreply 41April 18, 2021 10:21 PM

[quote] The Israelis damaged Iran's reactors on their own.

Not true — it was US programming technology by and large. We worked with the Israelis to get it into the Iranian systems. The Israelis kept wanting us to go stronger to really wreck the reactors but we kept telling them no, it was a stupid strategy, because then they’d know they were being sabotaged. Also they’d be able to see the fingerprints on the code.

Not satisfied with that, the Israelis went rogue and bolstered the code on their own, doing more damage but also tipping the hand — it was now obvious to the Iranians that they we’re being sabotaged. They were also able to trace it back to the USA. Some think this is the reason the Israelis did it — to force a confrontation between the us and Iran. And of course we can’t try it against Iran anymore because they’re on their guard. And our super sophisticated attack code was revealed to the world.

The Israelis are treacherous allies. Even if you try to help them, they will manipulate and exploit you every chance they get.

by Anonymousreply 42April 18, 2021 10:51 PM

Bootsy-Gumdrop, could you provide a link? That’s a pretty astonishing claim that I have not seen reported.

by Anonymousreply 43April 18, 2021 11:04 PM

Yes — watch the documentary “Zero Days.” Not only does it confirm what I’ve just recounted, but it also tells the subsequent story of Stuxnet.

by Anonymousreply 44April 18, 2021 11:10 PM

More info:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 18, 2021 11:11 PM

Ok, that’s the confusion. I believe the earlier poster was referring to the attack in recent weeks, which appears to be solely Israel. Zero Days is from five years ago, and looks at Stuxnet (the American and Israeli malware from 2005, discovered in 2010).

by Anonymousreply 46April 18, 2021 11:15 PM

My point was that we are capable of doing much more sophisticated work than the Russians are. That’s why I referred to Stuxnet.

The Russians are really just trolls. Hacking and launching misinformation campaigns to exploit weaknesses in western democracies is not nearly as sophisticated and damaging as the kind of programming we are capable of. It’s just that we don’t talk about it. When you are strong, appear weak. When you are weak, appear strong.

by Anonymousreply 47April 18, 2021 11:18 PM

R42. Fuck Isreal! They want us to do their dirty work! They need to grow some balls for a change and we need to tell them in no uncertain terms: "You first! We will be there IF you need us.". Tell it straight to them!

by Anonymousreply 48April 19, 2021 8:24 AM

What a shithole Russia is.

by Anonymousreply 49April 20, 2021 12:40 AM

If Russia would stop sending trolls to Data Lounge with racist and anti-tranny garbage, I would be thankful.

by Anonymousreply 50April 20, 2021 5:04 AM

Russian women are all whores.

by Anonymousreply 51April 20, 2021 5:17 AM

Not all of them R51, just 90% of them

by Anonymousreply 52April 20, 2021 11:25 AM

R37 Russia hates abortion?

by Anonymousreply 53April 20, 2021 12:32 PM

R53 Russia hates abortion but they love mothers drinking while pregnant

by Anonymousreply 54April 20, 2021 12:34 PM

[quote]We can't troll back because we are so ignorant of Russian politics, history and culture. We have ZERO Russian speakers in intelligence and the foreign service - which puts us at a huge disadvantage in trying to fight back.

That's not true about Russian speakers, or at least it didn't used to be true. Trump may have gotten rid of all of them, but I'd expect Biden has re-staffed to some degree. I know two people who both worked in Intelligence during Obama's admin who were fluent in Russian.

To be fair, there's no need for Americans to know much of anything about Russian history and culture, as they've never been that influential on us.

We don't need to fight back against their trolling, we need to educate our own people that they (and other bad actors) are trolls and shouldn't be listened to. There's no reason to waste time learning about Russia to fight back and troll them in return. Sure, you might surprise a troll here or there with your deep knowledge of Raskazachivaniye but that won't actually do any good in the long run.

by Anonymousreply 55April 20, 2021 12:44 PM

A Ukrainian woman at work made me a Russian salad (or as she referred to it, a "Soviet Salad" as it was everywhere during Soviet times, apparently). I was initially apprehensive because whenever I've seen Russian food, it's looked... interesting, but this was really delicious! Refreshing, would be good at a barbecue. The salad is technically called "Винегрет", made of beetroot, potato, carrot, pickles, a few beans and dressed with oil and a bit of salt.

This isn't really relevant to the discussion, I guess, but just wanted to share that it's not all horror. Plus, she grew up in the USSR and is one of the nicest people I work with.

by Anonymousreply 56April 20, 2021 1:02 PM

Can't we stop them from using the dollar in transactions? I read something about that, that would cripple their revenue from oil and gas.

by Anonymousreply 57April 20, 2021 1:12 PM

OP- Forget about Russia. In that photo of Biden he looks like he’s had a TON of plastic surgery done on his face.

by Anonymousreply 58April 20, 2021 1:12 PM

Russia is a weak cunt-storm of graft and lies

by Anonymousreply 59April 20, 2021 1:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!