Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Atypical COVID?

Since the 13th, I’ve had intermittent chills/hot flashes, cold extremities, tingling legs (like chilblains or poor circulation), and a ‘heavy’ constrictive feeling in my diaphragm when I breathe deeply. Also gummy eyes, night sweats, little stabbing pains at random in my body, and occasional tonsil soreness. No fever, cough, loss of taste or smell. Is this likely to be COVID-19? Anyone had these symptoms?

by Anonymousreply 73September 7, 2021 1:34 AM

You have Covid and you are dying.

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2021 7:22 PM

Btw I’m not vaccinated, as my age group are last in line (we’re up in July). Got a test this AM (16th), and have to wait up to 48 hours for results. I’m calling my Doctor on Monday.

Rn I’m freaking out, as if this is COVID I know how bad it potentially gets over time and what a crapshoot our chances are of recovery (I’m 28/F/only known major health problem is asthma, but my circulation/metabolism isn’t great and there’s family history of thyroid and blood pressure issues).

I’m bummed out, too, as I really thought I’d make it to the end of summer and get a vaccine before catching anything.

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2021 7:22 PM

Wishing you well OP!

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2021 7:23 PM

It sounds a lot like obesity. Lose a hundred pounds and see if the symptoms persist.

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2021 7:24 PM

Ah, there it is, the requisite cunty R1. I am honoured, Sir, and if I do indeed die then I will go in peace knowing I received a good R1.

R4 thanks also to you. I’m actually borderline underweight—like I said, my metabolism is shitty, and on a good normal day I have a low appetite. I also walk a few miles daily with my puppy.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2021 7:26 PM

One way to rule it out, or in, is to get tested.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2021 7:27 PM

There’s an awful cold going around too, now, no? I read it on DL a week or so ago

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2021 7:28 PM

R7 praying and hoping that’s all it is. But I’ve had cold and flu bugs in the past, and they didn’t feel like this...

In fact, the only time I’ve felt this way before is when I was prescribed a bad acne med as a teen and got vitamin A poisoning and kidney damage. I’m not currently taking anything besides a basic salbutamol inhaler for seasonal asthma...

My feet are currently freezing, under warm covers with a bottle in a small heated room, and my toes are red with a frostbitten look. The fuck?

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2021 7:44 PM

a. get tested

b. get tested

c. get tested

d. if you've got it, ask your doctor if you're eligible for monoclonal antibody treatments. Hospitals now have a decent supply in the US, and it works well to keep COVID from turning deadly.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2021 7:48 PM

R9, thanks, that’s helpful. I will totally ask my doctor about that soon as I can (will be a couple of days at minimum, now).

My test was this morning, and I should know by tomorrow. I’m worried that since tests are not 100% accurate, my lack of typical symptoms might mean I can’t get treatment like you suggest if I do have it and the test doesn’t pick it up...

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2021 7:51 PM

If you've got access to a pulse oximeter, use it. Make sure you're keeping tabs on your oxygen levels. If you're feeling much worse before seeing your doctor get the hell to the hospital. Better safe than sorry.

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2021 7:55 PM

R11 Yeah, I will. I just ordered an oximeter as I didn’t have one at home, and with express delivery it should get here in a couple of days. Blood gas level has to be 95% or above to be safe, right?

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2021 8:01 PM

According to the Q-COVID calculator algorithm, if I do have COVID then my chances of hospital admission are roughly 1 in 3,900, and my chances of dying are 1 in 250,000. On their scale, general risk rate for otherwise-healthy asthmatics in my age group & sex is 10 out of 100. Guess I’d have to be unlucky for it to be really seriously bad. Not sure how to feel, still...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2021 8:16 PM

Did you quit drinking again?

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2021 8:20 PM

Get tested, no point in worrying until you get the results. But, follow protocols and isolation until you get the results.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2021 8:25 PM

[quote]Blood gas level has to be 95% or above to be safe, right?

I've heard 94, but yes. If you have an Apple watch that supposedly also checks blood oxygen levels.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2021 8:28 PM

don't forget to report back OP, we're pulling for ya!

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2021 8:31 PM

FWIW OP, I have pretty much the exact same symptoms. 56 yrs old and also close to being underweight. (I got way too much into running since this whole thing began.)

I had a test a few days ago and it came back negative. I’m getting my second vaccine in a few days.

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2021 8:35 PM

Could be covid, OP, but most of those symptoms can also be associated with stress.

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2021 8:45 PM

Chronic heart failure, you don't have to be fatty to suffer from CHF. Something is very wrong with your blood pressure, cardiovascular system and probably your kidneys. Have blood tests for heart and kidneys to see if there is an underlying problem.

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2021 8:50 PM

And check for toxins, mold, aerosol spray, misquito repellent, etc in your house too. By the way, drink lotsa water will help improve your wretched condition somewhat.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2021 8:52 PM

R20 oh shit, do I need to go to hospital right now then? (Serious question—I can’t drive so I will have to wake someone up and get them to take me rn) Is that to do with COVID usually/sometimes, or not?

Like I said, I had moderate longterm drug-related kidney poisoning when young but that was a decade ago. I’ve never had heart issues that I knew of...:/

As for toxins, I was working outside with someone using a chainsaw a few days ago, and that was giving off nasty fumes. I tried to stay away from them and drink a lot of water, but the wind blew it around. And I’ve been sleeping in a room where recently white spirit got spilled, but I cleaned it up ASAP and aerated the room for a few days (windows open even at night, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2021 8:57 PM

R18 cool, that’s a relief you’re getting vaccinated and your test was negative. Do you think too much running or too little food caused some of your symptoms?

R14 hahahahaha I never started drinking, but I might if the anxiety gets too much. R15 I have supplies for a week in the house.

R19 hmmm, yes it’s a possibility. I do tend to bottle and get worried about things. I’m also a little crazy about cleaning things since COVID started (hands, surfaces, phone etc.) to an obsessive degree. I hope you’re right and that’s all it is. Now I’m going crazy thinking it might be my heart or liver function...

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2021 8:58 PM

Could be pneumonia. I had similar symptoms once and that is what it was. Isn't there an urgent care you could go to? Ask for a blood test too.

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2021 9:16 PM

sounds like "COVID toes" from the description

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2021 9:20 PM

It will get serious when you start wet coughing without having a cold. Liver and heart problems can be managed quite efficiently. But if your kidneys fail, there's no recovery from there. A death sentence worse than AIDS. Low blood pressure will cause less blood, less oxygen to feed the kidneys, hence kidney failure, either chronic or sudden. And as you stated that you're quite underweight, that might also indicate anemia, something to do with red blood cell as well.

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2021 9:21 PM

do you get annual check ups? blood work etc? If not, you should start.

by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2021 9:24 PM

OP is still alive? I only hope he didn't die of hypochondria though.

by Anonymousreply 28April 17, 2021 10:13 PM

You’re sitting too close to the kettle.

by Anonymousreply 29April 17, 2021 10:17 PM

R28 yes, I’m still ticking along, thanks for asking!

My test came back today—apparently I’m COVID negative. Quite a relief. Though I still can’t shake the feeling that the result might be wrong. I’m only on day four of having symptoms and feeling out of sorts, and I’ve heard it said that some people have mild atypical symptoms that suddenly progress around day seven or day ten. I’m still afraid of that, honestly..

Well R26, ‘quite underweight’ is probably pushing it haha🤪I’m like a point under ideal weight. My problem is more that I have no muscle mass. Kidney problems sound terrifying, so I’m gonna follow up with my doctor, hoping it isn’t that. If I have anaemia issues, it may be due to menstruation; I lose more blood every month than the Bates Motel, and I am due to start my monthlies soon so it would make sense.

R25 I’m obsessively checking my toes for swelling or discolouration. Right now they’re just a little red, with tingles and a feeling of coldness. It’s so bizarre.

R24 in the U.K. right now we are discouraged from showing up to hospital or A&E, for obvious reasons. I’d have to call an ambulance very sure that I needed one. Protocol is to see a doctor when one can for anything other that severe conditions. And people here on the NHS (I.e., too poor to afford private medical plans) don’t typically get regular bloodwork and check-ups without an ailment; hard enough getting a timely appointment and results when you’re actually sick...

Just went on WebMD symptom checker, and the list of potential matches was insane and all over the place, including aortic aneurysm, endocarditis, fibromyalgia (I know lmao), hives, hypothyroidism, Lyme disease, pneumonia, sepsis/septicaemia, shingles. I went through it with my Mum on the phone, and to each one she laughingly said that she knew someone with that once, and that I probably don’t have it. She’s of the, “eat more and take naps and you’ll be fine” generation. Idk. Maybe I’m just turning into a vampire?

by Anonymousreply 30April 17, 2021 10:32 PM

With night sweats, test for TB, all the hepatitis, & Hodgkin’s disease.

by Anonymousreply 31April 17, 2021 11:34 PM

R31 thanks, I shall mention it to my doctor when I call on Monday and ask to have bloods done. Are there specific tests I need to request? The panels the NHS do are not comprehensive as I understand it.

I have never had sexual contact with anyone in my life, so I’m not sure it could be hep. I live in an area with a culled badger population, but TB is still a possibility. I don’t even know what Hodgkin’s is—dare I terrify myself?

by Anonymousreply 32April 17, 2021 11:44 PM

Hang in their OP and keep us posted.

by Anonymousreply 33April 18, 2021 12:15 AM

R32 -- Hodgkin is Hodgkin lymphoma. Night sweats **might** be caused by cancer, but there are many, many causes of night sweats.

by Anonymousreply 34April 18, 2021 12:21 AM

Hep isn’t necessarily sexually contracted; my night sweats turned out to be Hep C, which I caught from a deep cut I sustained at a gas station pump. Thankfully, I’m in the minority whose immune system clear the virus on its own, about 20% of the time. Hep A can be caught from contaminated food.

by Anonymousreply 35April 18, 2021 6:00 AM

Munchausen Syndrome

by Anonymousreply 36April 18, 2021 6:58 AM

Ask for a D-dimer test.

by Anonymousreply 37April 18, 2021 7:03 AM

by Anonymousreply 38April 18, 2021 7:06 AM

OP don't freak. Chances are it's nothing serious. And rest assured its not Covid.

by Anonymousreply 39April 18, 2021 7:08 AM

Also, ask for a strep test, sometimes in adults it can cause less of a sore throat but give you symptoms like night sweats and make you feel crummy.

by Anonymousreply 40April 18, 2021 7:08 AM

R40 good call re strep. I’ve had it three times in my life, once as a child and twice as an adult; the third time I had it I had no clue I’d had it, it was far milder than the first two times.

by Anonymousreply 41April 18, 2021 7:17 AM

Oh, you are a woman, then I would point to heart problem due to chronic dehydration as women don't like to go to the loo so they deprive themselves of fluid/water. And then your kidney will have to work harder to reabsorb water from your water and many many health problems will follow.

by Anonymousreply 42April 18, 2021 7:23 AM

[quote]there are many, many causes of night sweats.

Including anxiety, which is what I suspect is causing all your symptoms. Hopefully, your doctor will give you the all clear and that will put your mind at ease.

by Anonymousreply 43April 18, 2021 11:59 AM

R43, I was just about to say the same thing. Focus on your mindset OP. Trust the test for now, hydrate, do something physical to bring your body more in line & ignore the snarkier comments in this thread. You can trust me OP. I have a theater degree & have played both doctors and counselors.

by Anonymousreply 44April 18, 2021 1:00 PM

OP you just described what I experience all last year. I didn't start feeling a bit better until January this year. My doctor passed it off as anxiety, which I think is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 45April 18, 2021 1:24 PM

[quote]some people have mild atypical symptoms that suddenly progress around day seven or day ten

The BF had mild symptoms that were similar to allergies but he still tested positive. He didn't get truly sick until after he took the test.

The FDA however says a negative test does not rule out COVID, so check with your doctor to be sure. What you described in the OP is so similar to how COVID presented in myself and the BF (right down to the gummy eyes) that I'd make sure to check with a doctor.

Hydrate like crazy, it will help if it's COVID but also is a good idea if you have something else.

by Anonymousreply 46April 18, 2021 1:44 PM

Get a check-up by a physician. If they don't find a physical condition or cause, consider that it might be a somatization of your stress and anxiety. In this case, a cognitive-behavioral psychotherapist could probably help you.

Also, don't worry so much! In the absence of a clear physical cause, paresthesia is likely harmless. By obsessing about it, you might make it worse.

by Anonymousreply 47April 18, 2021 2:01 PM

If it makes OP feel better, Covid symptoms follow this timeline:

1. Fever

2. Cough and muscle pain

3. Nausea or vomiting

4. Diarrhea

by Anonymousreply 48April 18, 2021 2:21 PM

I had medium-bad Covid and had no respiratory issues: no coughing, runny nose or chest pain. And I never lost my sense of taste or smell.

by Anonymousreply 49April 18, 2021 2:28 PM

My neck, my back, my pussy, and my crack ....

by Anonymousreply 50April 18, 2021 5:00 PM

Shut up, bitch. Assuming someone wants to hear all your symptoms and cares.

by Anonymousreply 51April 18, 2021 5:04 PM

All the signs point to it being definitely Munchausen’s Syndrome and you should get that checked out.

by Anonymousreply 52April 18, 2021 5:07 PM

Could be the AIDS you're a homo after all.

by Anonymousreply 53April 18, 2021 5:22 PM

July? Aren't most places open to all adults now?

by Anonymousreply 54April 18, 2021 5:25 PM

Menopause

by Anonymousreply 55April 18, 2021 5:26 PM

[quote]Menopause

Were she not just 28 years old, that would have been my first guess.

by Anonymousreply 56April 18, 2021 5:37 PM

Update—test came back negative on the 17th, been having similar weird symptoms on and off since.

Thought I was in the clear a couple of days ago, as a lot of my symptoms were gone, but now the heavy ‘off’ slightly-congested feeling in my lungs is back—as if I’m wearing a corset, and someone is scouring my lungs with bleach. I woke up feeling a bit strange, and now it’s really quite horribly uncomfortable (not really painful, though, except the occasional twinge in my ribs).

The night sweating/hot flashes, chills and pricking are gone, but my breathing is still laboured and I do have cold hands & feet. Nothing’s turned blue yet, and I still haven’t got a cough or fever. I can breathe without pain or rattling, but it’s uncomfy and doesn’t feel ‘right’ somehow.

Today I called my sister, and she wondered if my inhaler dose could be way too high (500mg a day fluticasone). I tend to have severe GERD attacks, too, but they don’t feel like this.

Got an oximeter too, and my readings for the last few days have been between 98-96. Just now the reading really alarmed me, starting at 85 but climbing to 97 after a minute or two (I think I took it right—with warm hands, on my pointer finger, held upright?)

This is scaring me a bit, so I’m about to call 111 and see what they say, though chances are they won’t help much (in my past experience of several calls, they’re pretty useless and don’t reassure much either). These days you can’t get into a hospital or A&E unless you go through them, first.

by Anonymousreply 57April 22, 2021 7:04 PM

R57 Why haven't you seen a doctor?

by Anonymousreply 58April 22, 2021 7:10 PM

R58 because I live like thirty miles from my Doctor/a hospital and don’t drive. There has to be someone living with me with free time at home not working to take me in, and as it takes hours to be seen sometimes that’s a full afternoon/day commitment. Lot to ask of someone if you aren’t sure it’s serious.

Also, as I mentioned, the whole ‘have to go through 111’ thing. It takes an hour or more, and at least two consultations. Ten their response tends to be either “walk it off and take an aspirin” or “we’ll send an ambulance”, no in-between. Bit shambolic, but what can you do? (plus it’s free and better than most get, I suppose)

Currently waiting for a clinician to ring back, which could be a while and may not bear fruit. We shall see.

by Anonymousreply 59April 22, 2021 7:23 PM

Sounds like covid and aids. Jesus. Make sure you stay inside till you expire.

by Anonymousreply 60April 22, 2021 7:26 PM

Wishing you well. My sister-in-law is dealing with numbness in the body and chest pains. She had Covid a month ago. She got her second Pfizer shot a week ago. ER told her it is residuals from Covid but she is getting a second opinion today. I would get tested OP, absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 61April 22, 2021 7:29 PM

You could be pregnant.

Stay inside for 9 months and get your landlord to help you cut the cord.

by Anonymousreply 62April 22, 2021 7:41 PM

R62 unless I’m the next Mother Mary, there’s is literally no way I could be preggers lmao

Just had a very nice Paramedic round, who did all his checks. Apparently there’s nothing even slightly amiss with my heart or blood pressure or oxygen, so there’s that. Reassuring, but doesn’t explain anything, so I’ll have to talk to my GP in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 63April 22, 2021 11:08 PM

OP, how are you doing today?

by Anonymousreply 64April 23, 2021 3:51 PM

Try taking Famotidine or a PPI, it sounds more like GERD to me. Also, your pO2 going from 85 to 97 in a minute is more a sign of anxiety and holding your breath. If something were truly wrong with your lungs it would stay in the 80's until you got ER help.

by Anonymousreply 65April 23, 2021 4:51 PM

Are you still alive, OP?

by Anonymousreply 66May 4, 2021 7:03 PM

Lack of exercise.

by Anonymousreply 67May 4, 2021 7:14 PM

Get your calcium, B12, and vitamin D checked. It could be a vitamin deficiency.

by Anonymousreply 68May 4, 2021 7:26 PM

I was exposed through work and I'm waiting on test results. About a week ago I felt like I had a cold for a few days, I thought it went away. Then a week later my co-worker was diagnosed with Covid. Around the same time my "cold" came back. I have no fever, but I have sneezing, runny nose and a "full" feeling in my throat, no taste, no smell, and itchy, grainy eyes. No problems breathing or any particular fatigue or nausea.

Who knows? I hope it's not Covid.

by Anonymousreply 69May 4, 2021 7:56 PM

R66 thanks for asking mate, I’m still here live and kicking!

As it turns out, R68 was onto something, and a recent blood panel showed my B12 had dropped perilously low. Doctor doesn’t know why, suggested it could be the stress of the last year and slight undereating on my part. So now I’m on a course of 5 initial shots to get my levels up, and after that I’m not sure where we go.

I had my first shot a few days ago, and while I’m feeling noticeably perkier and healthier during the day and my tingling pains have subsided, at night I’m still getting flu-like symptoms such a heavy congested feelings in my chest—is that normal? I’m not sure whether to test for COVID or not (I’m now doubled Pfizered, got my second ten days ago).

by Anonymousreply 70September 6, 2021 9:18 PM

Not R66, but glad to hear you are well, OP!

by Anonymousreply 71September 6, 2021 9:40 PM

You can get a test over the counter at any drugstore. Why would you not get tested? If you don't feel well enough to go to the store, have someone pick one up for you. Jesus, OP.

We're glad you're not dead but you're fucking stupid. Get tested.

by Anonymousreply 72September 7, 2021 1:23 AM

OP, all snarking aside, if you feel something's not right, go to your doctor and tell them. And do NOT accept an appt. for two years out! Get in before the end of the week, if you can. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 73September 7, 2021 1:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!