Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are the Beatles overrated?

Inspired by another thread. Are the Beatles still relevant or is The Beatles phenomenon strictly a boomer infatuation? Some topics for discussion: Is A Hard Day's Night weighed down by its production? Is Sgt. Pepper's just a bunch of hippy shit? Lennon's solo career vs. Paul (& Wings). Why are boomers so mad that 'Here Comes The Sun' is the most streamed Beatles song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314June 12, 2021 1:44 PM

A little of column a and a little of column b, to be honest.

They're overrated in some ways, perfectly rated in other ways, and sometimes underrated.

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2021 3:55 AM

Gasp!

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2021 3:57 AM

Way overrated. Way.

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2021 4:00 AM

I've always thought they were weird. Some odd combo of Gilbert & Sullivan and what-could-be kindergarten songs (We All Live in a Yellow Submarine? Octupus' Garden?)

Some exceptions but a lot of silly songs (love songs and other)

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2021 4:02 AM

I think most artists are over and under rated in different ways. A lot of the most highly rated artists prior to the 80s were highly rated, in many ways, due to the bias in critical circles in favor of males, bands, rock. The Beatles did start out really pop but progressed into other types of music.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2021 4:03 AM

The Beatles are regarded as the most influential band of all time. They had a number of clunkers along the way as one poster mentioned; Yellow Submarine and Octopus’ Garden, but they were a groundbreaking group that paved the way for others to come along.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2021 4:14 AM

The Beatles are the most iconic rock band of all time - they influenced the entire world and changed music, period. I doubt that we will ever see their likes again. A Super Nova that will be remembered forever.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2021 4:16 AM

R7 I don’t think that is in question. Elvis, Beatles, MJ, Madonna and a few others were Super Novas who influenced music in profound ways. They are the Big Four in music.

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2021 4:21 AM

One aspect that always amazes me is how the Beatles/British Invasion ended so many careers for American pop / rock acts.

I still can't wrap my head around it ..,everything pre Beatles became music your parents listened to.

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2021 4:31 AM

Same with Elvis, MJ, Madonna, Nirvana. There was a hard shift in music tastes and led to careers ending.

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2021 4:34 AM

Not as overrated as the Beach Boys

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2021 4:35 AM

A Beatles cover of Chuck Barry (“Roll Over Beethoven”) came on the radio today when I was driving and I just thought what a crappy, tinny, sucked dry version it was. But the Beatles got really good later on when they stopped all the jangly rip offs. I love The White Album. I don’t like that they messed up American music by taking our originals and sterilizing them. It makes me mad because now they’re considered geniuses instead of Howlin Wolf or Buddy Holly. Just doesn’t sit right with me!

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2021 4:37 AM

My husband actively dislikes the Beatles. I'm not a huge fan but I feel generally favorable towards their music.

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2021 4:49 AM

I generally like The Beatles, but I think that the music of The Rolling Stones has aged better.

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2021 5:00 AM

R12 The Beatles, Paul McCartney in particular always gave huge props to The Every Brothers. The Beatles absolutely did destroy their careers however.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2021 5:27 AM

Octopus’s Garden is a Ringo song, so it doesn’t count. Yellow Submarine was meant as a song for children.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2021 3:23 PM

Whatever you think of them, and personally I'm a fan, no other group will ever have the same global impact. They were just very lucky in that their timing was perfect. They were the right people, working with the right collaborator(s) (George Marin especially) at the right time.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2021 3:29 PM

*Martin of course

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2021 3:30 PM

I’m surprised at what they could get played on the radio. It sounds practically avant-garde compared to most pop music of its time, before its time, and after its time.

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2021 3:34 PM

"I generally like The Beatles, but I think that the music of The Rolling Stones has aged better."

The Rolling Stones did a blatant and dismal rip off of Sgt. Pepper called "Their Satanic Majesties Request." It was their attempt to be "psychedelic." The Beatles were always more creative and interesting than the Rolling Stones.

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2021 3:40 PM

Not overrated. They have held up amazingly well for 50 years. Despite their relatively short career, they have covered a lot of ground and written many true classics. Madonna and Swift will be largely forgotten in 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2021 3:44 PM

No one listens to the Beatles anymore, R21. They had a bit of a resurgence in the 80s and 90s when some Xers got into them, but younger generations don't know their music.

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2021 3:47 PM

At least in the UK, they’re still very popular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2021 3:50 PM

^US, not UK

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2021 3:50 PM

When people think of people who forever changed music, they think of only two-The Beatles and Janet Jackson. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2021 3:54 PM

They're one of the very few bands that actually deserves its reputation for excellent songwriting.

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2021 3:55 PM

As an uptight elitist conservative formerly devoutly religious Boomer I always thought that they were subversive.

by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2021 3:57 PM

John was very dismissive of The Stones, Mick in particular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2021 4:36 PM

I've always loved songs like When I'm 64, Yellow Submarine and Octopus's Garden because it's the Beatles harking back to the British music hall and what would have had a strong influence on them when they were boys. From the early 20th Century to the avant-garde. They're even better than their reputation.

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2021 4:37 PM

Whether or not the beatles were more creative than the stones doesn't matter, the fact is that the stones music has aged much much better. But yeah, the beatles were more groundbreaking, no question about that.

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2021 4:59 PM

Hell yeah! Can't stand those twee British wankers. The only musician from that era whose work sounds as fresh today as it did back in the 60s is Connie Francis.

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2021 5:05 PM

We hear you R31

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2021 5:30 PM

R31 LOL

by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2021 5:36 PM

They were a cultural phenomenon the likes of which had never been seen before.

by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2021 6:08 PM

^” They were a white cultural phenomenon the likes of which had never been seen before Elvis.”

by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2021 6:09 PM

Everything has to be about race. Everything. Everything. Everything.

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2021 6:18 PM

No. But Little Richard preceded the Beatles and was a thunderbolt. Chuck Berry too.

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2021 6:25 PM

[quote]They were a white cultural phenomenon

What?

by Anonymousreply 38April 16, 2021 6:27 PM

I met Paul McCartney in the greengrocers in Brighton when I lived there.

He was alright.

by Anonymousreply 39April 16, 2021 6:54 PM

Paul wasn't the pissant that John was.

by Anonymousreply 40April 16, 2021 7:07 PM

John being a pissant is what made his music greater than Paul's. Compare Mother to something like Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. There's no comparison.

by Anonymousreply 41April 16, 2021 7:12 PM

I like George Harrison.

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is a beautiful song.

by Anonymousreply 42April 16, 2021 9:04 PM

I think they were over-hyped for sure. The media and corporations wanted to make as much off their popularity as was humanly possible. When I hear one of their songs (not the White Album--yuck) I feel happy because it makes me think of my youth. Do I listen to their albums now? Only John's.

by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2021 9:24 PM

R43 They were not overhyped.

Compared to other groups, they actually kept a lower profile: their concerts, TV appearances and interviews were rare compared to other popular bands at the time.

by Anonymousreply 44April 16, 2021 9:31 PM

Georg Harrison was the one that insisted that they stop touring on 1966 because no one could hear them because of the screaming, hysterical audience. A man and his wife that I know went to a Beatles concert years ago and said that they could hardly hear them because of all the screaming teenage girls. The audience was louder than the band!

by Anonymousreply 45April 16, 2021 9:34 PM

Brian Epstein, a gay man, was their manager and very pivotal to their great success. He groomed them, had them wear specific suits, and had them bow to the audience after a performance. He pushed them to the top and was their icing on the cake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 16, 2021 9:39 PM

R25 - you're joking, right Janet Jackson did NOT change music. She's a dancer/lip syncer. She's not an artist in any sense. She had a career because she was a Jackson family member with a corporation pushing the shit out of her, not because she had any innate talent.

by Anonymousreply 47April 16, 2021 9:40 PM

R21 Swift, no. Madonna, yes. Madonna has been around 38 years and not forgotten.

Beatles were so creative. The diversity of their music is huge. Paul/John were a great collaborative team.

by Anonymousreply 48April 16, 2021 9:51 PM

If you want to understand the impact of the Beatles, you have to know what pop music was like in the US in 1963, early 1964.

Watch this episode of American Bandstand. Early 1964, just a few weeks before the Beatles hit.

Listen to the music. It was 1964 but we were still in the '50s. Look at the clothes. The hair styles.

6 months later it was a whole new world. And I mean it: a whole new world. The kids on the Bandstand show were unaware of what was about to hit them.

Young people today cannot understand the Beatles' impact because they are ignorant of the era. They know nothing about the context.

The swinging 60s began when the Beatles played the Ed Sullivan Show in February. Six weeks after this Bandstand show.

Start at 3:43

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 16, 2021 9:54 PM

I don't think they are overrated or underrated.

by Anonymousreply 50April 16, 2021 10:07 PM

R49: Mary!

by Anonymousreply 51April 16, 2021 10:12 PM

R49 is mostly correct, R51. The Phil Spector (Wall of Sound) music and the Supremes (Motown) were already on the scene; things were already changing. But the British Invasion had the largest impact.

by Anonymousreply 52April 16, 2021 10:18 PM

The Beatles and Kinks are 1000x better than The Rolling Stones.

by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2021 10:22 PM

R52 Phil Spector/Ronettes "Be My Baby"(1963) was still tinged with a 50s "American Graffiti" sound. Just like all of the other girl groups of the time.

The Supremes did not have a hit record until "Where Did Our Love Go" in the summer of 1964.

by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2021 10:28 PM

The animated movie "Yellow Submarine" is great for kids and stoned adults. I always thought "Imagine" and "Give Peace a Chance" were kindergarten songs too.

by Anonymousreply 55April 16, 2021 10:28 PM

Beatles suck asshole!

by Anonymousreply 56April 16, 2021 11:37 PM

I was never an enthusiastic Beatles fan. They had some good songs but I think their success was in their personalities. They wrote a lot of clunkers and some annoying trite tunes.

by Anonymousreply 57April 16, 2021 11:42 PM

The opening of the video does not have the correct narration. The guy is claiming it's going to be 1964 but that's impossible.

The camera pans the Criterion theater in the Bond building. It is clearly showing My Fair Lady. The movie had its world premiere at this very theater in Oct of 1964. It would not be playing there on Dec 31 1963.

by Anonymousreply 58April 17, 2021 1:41 AM

The music of the Rolling Stones had a grittier feel to it than the Beatles' did, probably because the Rolling Stones were more R&B based, thanks to poor Brian Jones. In fact, Brian Jones named the band from a song by Muddy Waters called "Rollin' Stone." But the Beatles created some beautiful love songs ("And I Love Her", "If I Fell", "Something") which the Rolling Stones seemed to have no aptitude for. I can't think of any good love song by the Rolling Stones except maybe "Wild Horses" and they got THAT from Gram Parson's influence.

by Anonymousreply 59April 17, 2021 3:25 AM

R32 Connie loves this satire.

by Anonymousreply 60April 17, 2021 3:37 AM

No. Irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 61April 17, 2021 4:16 AM

Ruby Tuesday and Angie - I like them anyway.

More of an edge than the Beatles - more blues-based.

by Anonymousreply 62April 17, 2021 4:21 AM

David Bowie said all British rock and roll was derivative and Brits knew that it didn't spring from their souls - so they made it ironic and something to be smug about.

Wish I could find the interview. Very insightful. Done in 1999 I believe, in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 63April 17, 2021 4:22 AM

Oh and he knew the Internet was going to completely transform music - and the world. That music would be 'of the people' and 'stars' (and labels) wouldn't control the scene like Elvis, Beatles, Stones, had.

The man was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 64April 17, 2021 4:24 AM

Here it is. Bowie with Jeremy Paxman on Newsnight (1999)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 17, 2021 4:26 AM

There was Before the Beatles, and there was After the arrival of the Beatles. They profoundly affected not only music, but the attitude that a new era was upon us.

*They were a breakline in Western culture.*

Very few people outside of Henry VIII and Martin Luther had ever done that before.

by Anonymousreply 66April 17, 2021 4:30 AM

R66 - didn't they really just steal from America though?

"Three great influences that shaped The Beatles' music include Buddy Holly, Little Richard, and The one and only King, Elvis Presley" - and what about Chuck Berry? one of the pioneers of rock and roll music from the 1950s.

They were just cute white boys co-opting...

and for the Stones, it was black bluesmen in the South - Mississippi Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, etc.

by Anonymousreply 68April 17, 2021 4:36 AM

They have never appealed to me even just a little. The lyrics have never moved me and I never thought the music sounded that great. I just don’t get it and it was t that shocking when you compare it to what was going on at the time. I think a band like the Velvet Underground is way more groundbreaking. I don’t know anything about the technical aspects of music but I did have a musician friend tell me that technically speaking their music for the most part is quite simple. I’m someone who has very diverse music taste and I feel like i listen to a lot of good music. I’m a fan of classic blues and jazz, rock from all decades, hip hop, r&b and even some Kpop.

by Anonymousreply 69April 17, 2021 4:37 AM

I don;t understand the sex symbol thing. Paul was the only one who was remotely attractive, and only mildly.

by Anonymousreply 70April 17, 2021 4:37 AM

Elvis co-opted too. Didn't he copy "Hound Dog" from a black blues-Woman named Big Mama Thornton?

And the Sun Records guy said he'd been looking for a white guy who could sound like a black guy - knowing he could make the white one a star (but not the black one because racism)

Makes you wanna cry (and sing the blues - which I guess is why there is blues - the mistreatment of black people)

by Anonymousreply 71April 17, 2021 4:41 AM

R70 cute enough for ordinary teenaged girls - and safe enough to have a crush on, unlike Chuck Berry and Lil Richard you know.

by Anonymousreply 72April 17, 2021 4:43 AM

[quote] I can't think of any good love song by the Rolling Stones except maybe "Wild Horses" and they got THAT from Gram Parson's influence.

I think Paint It Black is a touching love song. Also Trump's fave, You Can't Always Get What You Want.

Usually a melancholy touch to their ballads/love songs.

by Anonymousreply 73April 17, 2021 4:49 AM

Also "As Tears Go By"

by Anonymousreply 74April 17, 2021 4:51 AM

Angie is definitely a love song. I think it’s beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 75April 17, 2021 4:52 AM

Miss You in a way is a love song too.

by Anonymousreply 76April 17, 2021 4:53 AM

WTF, who are these people? They look like ladies.

by Anonymousreply 77April 17, 2021 4:55 AM

I love "Angie". "Heaven" from "Tattoo You" too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 17, 2021 4:55 AM

R69 I personally think that The Velvet Underground is more influential as well, but you really don't like ANY Beatles songs? Not even "In My Life"?

by Anonymousreply 79April 17, 2021 4:58 AM

"They are massively overrated. None of them could sing."

You're an idiot. They must certainly COULD sing, you dumb cluck.

by Anonymousreply 80April 17, 2021 5:10 AM

Even "In My Life" - I like it but I can easily imagine it being a nightclub crooner song - like Perry Como or Vic Damone.

Except for the early crappier versons of Holly and Berry - like Twist and Shout, Love Me Do, and She Was Just 17, they never sound like they're doing rock and roll to me. Either music hall stuff or the "variety" hour with Steve and Eydie or Frank Sinatra - or maybe Bobby Rydell (Yesterday, And I Love Her).

Then the music hall stuff - Penny Lane, All You Need Is Love, Paperback Writer, I Am the Walrus... I mean it could come right out of a Gilbert & Sullivan musical/comedy.

Where's the grit - I think you need it for real rock and roll, blues or r&b. They're lightweights. Hell, I think the Monkees had better songs (albeit written by others - Goffin/Carole King, Neil Diamond, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 81April 17, 2021 5:15 AM

The Rolling Stones come across like a novelty act no matter how catchy some of their songs are

by Anonymousreply 82April 17, 2021 5:15 AM

That's funny R82 - I feel that way about the Beatles - and I feel that the Stones are almost straight-up copying southern black singers, even mimicking the accent, and yet, they do a better version of copying that the Beatles with their Buddy Holly knockoffs and the operetta stuff.

by Anonymousreply 83April 17, 2021 5:19 AM

*a better job of copying THAN the Beatles....

by Anonymousreply 84April 17, 2021 5:19 AM

"I think Paint It Black is a touching love song. Also Trump's fave, You Can't Always Get What You Want."

I don't think either one of those could classify as "love songs." "Ruby Tuesday" and "Angie", maybe. Anyway, they're not much in the love songs department. The Beatles were definitely more versatile.

by Anonymousreply 85April 17, 2021 5:27 AM

The Beatles were the first popular band I became enamoured of, way back in early 1969. The first album I bought was a cut out copy of "Magical Mystery Tour." The only song they recorded that I cannot fucking stand is, "Got to Get You Into My Life." It really predates Paul's horrid Las Vegas shlock.

by Anonymousreply 86April 17, 2021 5:43 AM

I think Paint It Black is a song about his girlfriend dying - a bittersweet love song by a grieving lover: "I see a line of cars And they're all painted black With flowers and my love Both never to come back" ... "If I look hard enough Into the setting sun My love will laugh with me Before the morning comes"

by Anonymousreply 87April 17, 2021 5:52 AM

But I'll give in on You Can't Always Get What You Want. I just always imagined he was upset at his ex-lover and bitter... but yeah, that's not really a love song and maybe not even what it's based on

by Anonymousreply 88April 17, 2021 5:56 AM

They were the best and Mick Jagger, Marianne Faithfull, Keith Richards, Brian Jones, Donovan....knew it,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 17, 2021 6:24 AM

I never quite the get the "the Beatles co-opted" from such and such as a way to "prove" they didn't deserve their success or earn it or whatever. Same with Elvis. Or Madonna. Or Nirvana. Or MJ.

Of course they co-opted part of their act! Guess what? Little Richard stole from someone too! As did Sonic Youth, Husker Du, NWA, Billie Holiday and every single artist, musician or otherwise, who's ever lived. Even the ones we think were the fore bearers! Someone was always doing it first...

But the Beatles, Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, Madonna, MJ, Nirvana, Tupac, and a few others just did it better and at EXACTLY the right time to change pop culture in hugely profound ways, transcending normal fame or influence - even if their music doesn't personally resonate with you.

So the Beatles' impact on modern music? That's not over rated at all and not really up for debate.

But how their music affects you personally? Completely subjective.

by Anonymousreply 90April 17, 2021 6:31 AM

I've always preferred their later stuff over their earlier stuff (like from Sgt Pepper on), so I guess I would feel they can be a bit overrated in some ways and perfectly rated in others.

Even though I do love the album, as time goes on I will admit that The Beatles should've been pared down to just one album (mostly of tracks made up from disc 1).

by Anonymousreply 91April 17, 2021 6:34 AM

What was interesting that EVERYONE loved the music of the mid-career Beatles. From tiny-tots to grandmothers.

by Anonymousreply 92April 17, 2021 8:20 AM

A composer explains the importance of the Beatles in the history of music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 17, 2021 8:25 AM

And of course, there was the beautiful Sir George Martin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94April 17, 2021 9:21 AM

I never liked the Beatles much, but I have to concede they were a huge influence. I've always understood and liked American rock and pop (and Australian, and Canadian) more than British. That's still true. I find the Beatles' music kind of treacly and syrupy, in the ballads, and overall kind of overblown, and I don't really like Paul's or John's voices..

by Anonymousreply 95April 17, 2021 9:57 AM

The first Beatles album I really listened to was Rubber Soul. I didn't listen to rock albums only 45s. But the song Michelle was on it and my parents really liked it so they bought it one day which really surprised me as they were of the Rodgers and Hammerstein generation and really didn't like rock at all. In fact when my father first bought a stereo the first record he bought was the obc of Guys and Dolls because my mother had seen it and fell in love with Robert Alda. Even though I went through a period of listening to Broadway cast recordings obsessively today it is one of the very few I can listen to. You can't get tired of it. It really is a masterpiece.

I have been buying recently the Beatles albums on vinyl which I didn't own as a kid and neither did I on cd and it really is an exhilarating revelation. Like Sinatra or Ella they are better on vinyl. I'm not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 96April 17, 2021 10:04 AM

R70, Ringo was the only sexy one. In an earthy way, and he had BDF. I bet it's thick too.

by Anonymousreply 97April 17, 2021 10:16 AM

Everyone can have their own personal opinion about the Beatles but the fact remains: they (most importantly Lennon/McCarney) created the most covered songs of the 20th century. Of the top 5, they hold the top 3 places.

Everyone covered their music, from Sinatra to Nina Simone.

[quote]I don;t understand the sex symbol thing. Paul was the only one who was remotely attractive, and only mildly.

The Beatles were stylish.

By the early 1960s, there were really few top 40 bands left outside of the Four Seasons and The Beach Boys. It was mostly solo singers.

To see this group of four guys all dressed in the same tight collarless sharkskin suits with long hair was something new. They were elegant, kind of feminine, no one had seen anything like it.

The FourSeasons looked like street corner guys from 1950s South Philly, The Beach Boys were wearing plaid and chinos.

by Anonymousreply 98April 17, 2021 2:13 PM

[quote]Even "In My Life" - I like it but I can easily imagine it being a nightclub crooner song - like Perry Como or Vic Damone.

And that's why the Beatles were so respected.

They started with teenybopper crap like "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand" but quickly evolved into writing songs that became standards. They were being compared to Irving Berlin and George and Ira Gershwin

by Anonymousreply 99April 17, 2021 2:34 PM

They were brilliant composers. Singing styles may change but their compositions will last.

by Anonymousreply 100April 17, 2021 2:48 PM

I really love Hyuna’s solo stuff

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101April 17, 2021 5:19 PM

They were great songwriters, but I thought the Stones were much cooler. The Beatles just didn’t have many songs I’d want to jam to while driving down the highway.

by Anonymousreply 102April 17, 2021 5:24 PM

Op wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 103April 17, 2021 5:26 PM

"They were great songwriters, but I thought the Stones were much cooler."

I didn't think they were. They were so awful; Mick Jagger is so narcissistic and Keith Richards is such a disgusting junkie. Brian Jones was pitiful in several ways, but he was a asshole who fathered several illegitimate children (and financially supported none of the), physically abused women and was a hopeless drug addict. Bill Wyman liked to fuck girls as young as 14 and married one of his child lovers. Charlie Watts kept a low profile but heard he was a druggie, too. The Beatles had their flaws, but I think the Stones were a lot slimier.

by Anonymousreply 104April 17, 2021 5:44 PM

Mick Jaggers prancing aroud stage flamboyantly is so painful to watch. The Rolling Stons always came across as huge posers.

by Anonymousreply 105April 17, 2021 5:46 PM

I don't think the poster who believes the Stones to be cooler is referencing their personal lives I think he's strictly talking about the songs. No doubt the Stones were creeps and Mick Jagger often looks like a fool on stage but the music is still good. And has aged so much better than the Beatles, though their music is great too if rearranged to sound more modern.

by Anonymousreply 106April 17, 2021 6:05 PM

"And has aged so much better than the Beatles."

I don't think so. That's the thing about the Beatles; much of their music sounds as fresh and exciting as it did when it was released. Of course the same can be said for the Rolling Stones, too, That's the thing about good music; it stands the test of time.

by Anonymousreply 107April 17, 2021 6:37 PM

The Beatles are for bottoms and the Stones are for tops.

by Anonymousreply 108April 17, 2021 6:41 PM

[quote]Elvis co-opted too.

Elvis was the real thing.

Born in Tupelo Miss. Grew up in Memphis. In poverty. That was his environment and heritage just as much as anyone else's

Had a genuinely great singing voice. Played the guitar. He started singing as a child.

He co-opted nothing from anyone. He was a product of his environment. The music he sang was his.

by Anonymousreply 109April 17, 2021 7:14 PM

I've found most of the Beatles are overrated crowd are people who have only heard the Beatles when they've only heard the same few songs that are played on the radio. Their career trajectory via their albums really is extraordinary.

If someone doesn't want to listen beyond the few songs they've heard, and don't have any interest beyond that, fine, but that isn't all there is. They're not overrated. Their talents are not normal. That connection does not happen often.

And R11, The Beach Boys actually are underrated. They're disregarded as too feel good pop or whatever, but their music was quite frequently excellent. They really do create a sonic experience. Paul McCartney has said that God Only Knows as the song he wished he had wrote.

by Anonymousreply 110April 17, 2021 7:24 PM

R110, I’ve owned every Beatles album and over time I’ve come to think of them as somewhat overrated. They were very good, no doubt, but I no longer think they were leagues above other bands with talented songwriters and musicians.

by Anonymousreply 111April 17, 2021 7:27 PM

[quote]I've found most of the Beatles are overrated crowd are people who have only heard the Beatles when they've only heard the same few songs that are played on the radio.

Many people here probably grew up with them so they probably have heard a lot more than a few songs.

by Anonymousreply 112April 17, 2021 7:32 PM

NO. For one thing, it’s pretty much the only group whose albums (remember those?) I enjoy listen to from start to finish. When you think of just HOW many songs they put out that were great, within a relatively short period of time, it’s astounding. Not just their big hits.

I love The Rolling Stones too, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 113April 17, 2021 7:37 PM

[quote]The opening of the video does not have the correct narration. The guy is claiming it's going to be 1964 but that's impossible. The camera pans the Criterion theater in the Bond building. It is clearly showing My Fair Lady. The movie had its world premiere at this very theater in Oct of 1964. It would not be playing there on Dec 31 1963.

You're right. Great eye.

On that date, the British film "The Victors" was playing at the Criterion.

The narration is correct because he talks of the JFK assassination and we do see the ball drop and then "1964". It seems to me that the YouTuber who posted it cobbled two videos together. That intro was his, it was not part of the American Bandstand episode.

by Anonymousreply 114April 17, 2021 8:09 PM

The more I think about it, the more I realize how great they were as artists. They didn't buck convencion, they bucked the expectation of their previous fans, and kept developing themselves in their own artistic direction. They might be one of the few that went against financial/popular trends, kept steering left, and had it work out for them.

by Anonymousreply 115April 17, 2021 8:23 PM

They had a good beat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116April 17, 2021 8:50 PM

Genius cannot be overrated.

by Anonymousreply 117April 17, 2021 9:11 PM

Side 2 of Abbey Road is one of my favourite things they have done.

R110, wasn't there a moment where the two bands were creating albums in order to trump each other, like a friendly competition? I think it was Revolver - Pet Sounds - Sgt Pepper?

by Anonymousreply 118April 17, 2021 9:45 PM

Why does it have to be about who's better than who? They each had their good qualities.

by Anonymousreply 119April 17, 2021 10:03 PM

Agree with everyone who is saying the Beatles are overrated and the Stones music holds up much better.

Stones love song you all forgot: Memory Motel. (Well, love song of a sort.)

For those of you who are saying Beatles songs sound like kindergarten music: You are correct. I am 36. We used to sing Yellow Submarine, Obladi-Oblada and I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends in preschool and kindergarten. I was kind of shocked when I was older and found out they weren't supposed kids songs.

by Anonymousreply 120April 18, 2021 12:30 AM

^^weren't supposed to be kids songs

by Anonymousreply 121April 18, 2021 12:30 AM

R118 that’s my favorite too. She’s Like a Rainbow was the Stones’ attempt to replicate the psychedelic era of the Beatles. Ditto 2000 light years from home, etc. They’re fine but not nearly as good, no - that wasn’t their strength.

by Anonymousreply 122April 18, 2021 12:35 AM

R118 Rubber Soul was the album that inspired Brian Wilson to create Pet Sounds, which Paul McCartney called his favorite album of all time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123April 18, 2021 12:41 AM

[quote]For those of you who are saying Beatles songs sound like kindergarten music: You are correct. I am 36. We used to sing Yellow Submarine, Obladi-Oblada and I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends in preschool and kindergarten. I was kind of shocked when I was older and found out they weren't supposed kids songs.

This is just so dumb.

The Beatles were Brits. Those particular songs come from the British Music Hall tradition.

The Beatles worked in all kinds of genres: Music Hall, American Standard, Country , Rock, Psychedelic, Baroque Pop etc.

Their songs ranged from simple tunes to things that were very complex and sophisticated.

by Anonymousreply 124April 18, 2021 12:42 AM

Yes R124. One of those incredibly bewildering things that one reads on DL from time to time that makes you think what is wrong with some people. Most people today have no sense of history or context. Well we sang this song when I was a child so it has to be a song that is so simplistic that only a child can like it. Ugh. It makes one want to smite ones head.

by Anonymousreply 125April 18, 2021 12:55 AM

They had some beautiful songs. Sometimes when I clean I listen to them. It’s crazy I know the words to every song.

by Anonymousreply 126April 18, 2021 1:01 AM

"And has aged so much better than the Beatles."

The music of the Rolling Stones has NOT "aged so much better than the Beatles." The best of the Beatles sounds as good today as it did when it was released. The Beatles music is just different from the Stones. The Beatles had a sense of humor, hence songs like "When I'm 64", and "Yellow Submarine" and "Ob La Di, Ob La Da." The Rolling Stones had no sense of humor at all.

by Anonymousreply 127April 18, 2021 1:08 AM

They are not overrated. Unless you are an old fuck like me, you cannot know of the freshness and excitement of their sound at that time.

by Anonymousreply 128April 18, 2021 1:14 AM

[quote]For those of you who are saying Beatles songs sound like kindergarten music: You are correct.

Eleanor Rigby

A Day In the Life.

Norwegian Wood

Come Together

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Tomorrow Never Knows

by Anonymousreply 129April 18, 2021 1:18 AM

Oh, shut up.

by Anonymousreply 130April 18, 2021 1:42 AM

R130 is to the OP.

by Anonymousreply 131April 18, 2021 1:43 AM

Thanks, R123.

by Anonymousreply 132April 18, 2021 5:01 AM

Through the lens of the filmmaker, this piece captures the social phenomenon that went with the music...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133April 18, 2021 5:42 PM

R129

“Here, There and Everywhere"

“Something"

“Let It Be"

"“For No One"

“Yesterday"

“In My Life"

"“The Long and Winding Road"

"“You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away"

“And I Love Her"

And etc.

by Anonymousreply 134April 18, 2021 5:58 PM

Thanks, r134. "For No One" is my favorite Beatles song.

by Anonymousreply 135April 18, 2021 6:18 PM

"For No One" is achingly beautiful.

Pay attention to the lyrics. The sophisticated melody. It is such a finely crafted song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136April 18, 2021 6:37 PM

Yes, totally overrated. No good songs, no innovation. They’ll be forgotten when the “boomers” die off because only the boomers like their boring, white music. Certainly no subsequent generations have enjoyed their music and kids today don’t know who they are. If they haven’t been cancelled, let’s do so now! I’m glad there are so many better artists around these days.

by Anonymousreply 137April 18, 2021 6:38 PM

R21 Aren't Madonna and Swift pretty over and done with now!

by Anonymousreply 138April 18, 2021 6:41 PM

[quote] [R25] - you're joking, right Janet Jackson did NOT change music. She's a dancer/lip syncer. She's not an artist in any sense. She had a career because she was a Jackson family member with a corporation pushing the shit out of her, not because she had any innate talent.

Yes, that was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 139April 18, 2021 6:50 PM

[quote] "I think Paint It Black is a touching love song. Also Trump's fave, You Can't Always Get What You Want."

[quote] I don't think either one of those could classify as "love songs." "Ruby Tuesday" and "Angie", maybe. Anyway, they're not much in the love songs department. The Beatles were definitely more versatile.

That was a joke, too.

by Anonymousreply 140April 18, 2021 6:51 PM

I just watched a YouTube video on them, and at one one point the actor David Tennant (I think that’s his name) said something about “from Love Me Do” to “Hey Jude” in eight years is extraordinary. They still sound fresh and I wish I had been around when their albums were being released to actually live through their progression. It must’ve been mind blowing. Oh well, I’m glad to have their music. They got me through the pandemic.

The video I watched was about the UK’s favorite Beatles songs and I guess there was some kind of vote. It’s funny how opinions differ. My list wouldn’t been totally different. My top 10 (and it’s so hard to pick just 10) in no order:

1. Hey Jude (probably my favorite song ever)

2. Tomorrow Never Knows

3. You’re Gonna Lose That Girl

4. Girl

5. Come Together

6. Here Comes the Sun

7. The Abbey Road medley, but especially Carry That Weight and The End

8. If I Fell

9. Norwegian Wood

10. With a Little Help....

I do find it chilling the way John mutters “shoot me” in Come Together. There are a lot of death references in his songs. I was listening to I Am the Walrus today and noticed the “oh, untimely death!” towards the end...

by Anonymousreply 141April 18, 2021 6:52 PM

Early Beatles, yes, overrated. They brought a more palatable version of what black artists were doing to a white audience.

Later Beatles, not overrated. Lennon & McCartney had songwriting synergy. Then you had George Harrison to throw in a couple of gems as well.

Off the top of my head, I love:

Here, There, Everywhere.

Norwegian Wood.

by Anonymousreply 142April 18, 2021 6:59 PM

Hey Jude is one of the most amazing songs ever.

by Anonymousreply 143April 18, 2021 7:04 PM

[quote] The Rolling Stones had no sense of humor at all.

The Rolling Stones were one-note when compared to The Beatles. I still don't get why Exile on Main Street is considered so great--it's a chore to listen to. The vast majority of the Stones' best work was in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 144April 18, 2021 7:07 PM

[quote] They’ll be forgotten when the “boomers” die off because only the boomers like their boring, white music.

LOL I know you were joking but it is very impressive thatThe Beatles still are the best performing legacy group on Spotify. Queen are number 2 followed by Michael Jackson. That's impressive because Queen had Bohemian Rhapsody while The Beatles haven't had any major biopics or movies about them recently.

by Anonymousreply 145April 18, 2021 7:09 PM

R144, I listen to Exile on Main Street frequently. It’s a fantastic album.

by Anonymousreply 146April 18, 2021 7:19 PM

For Hey Jude fans...

R145 that’s cool - I didn’t know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147April 18, 2021 7:25 PM

TG for the brilliant singer/songwriter/composer Paul McCartney. I've loved them all but Paul's talent was a cut above.

by Anonymousreply 148April 18, 2021 7:31 PM

I actually don't think The Beatles overrated. I wouldn't argue about Michael Jackson, Madonna or Elvis because they are really performers and it feels were 100% marketing.

But The Beatles wrote their songs and played instruments. They really changed the game when they shifted to a more experimental sound in their last few years. They were real musicians and influenced way too many bands and artists to be dismissed.

by Anonymousreply 149April 18, 2021 7:39 PM

*were overrated

by Anonymousreply 150April 18, 2021 7:41 PM

R149 wins the thread. Now, can we please stop this nonsense? When the discussion devolves into, "Who's better, the Beatles or the Stones?" it's like debating about apples vs. oranges.

by Anonymousreply 151April 18, 2021 9:43 PM

"Yes, totally overrated. No good songs, no innovation. They’ll be forgotten when the “boomers” die off because only the boomers like their boring, white music. Certainly no subsequent generations have enjoyed their music and kids today don’t know who they are. If they haven’t been cancelled, let’s do so now! I’m glad there are so many better artists around these days."

Everything you said is completely untrue, so I'm assuming you're just a retarded, shit stirring troll. You're really a dumb shit.

by Anonymousreply 152April 18, 2021 10:10 PM

R152, I genuinely think that person was being saracstic. Unless they are Janbot. Then they weren't.

by Anonymousreply 153April 18, 2021 10:13 PM

[quote]You're really a dumb shit.

More likely that you can't recognize satire.

by Anonymousreply 154April 18, 2021 10:14 PM

More likely that you can't recognize satire."

Pretty lame "satire." It did cross my mind that it was sarcasm, but it's still dumb.

by Anonymousreply 155April 18, 2021 10:49 PM

I don't think so. But I DO believe The Rolling Stones are entirely overrated. Horribly so. I always preferred The Who, Led Zeppelin, & Pink Floyd.

by Anonymousreply 156April 18, 2021 10:53 PM

When I was in nursery school in the early 80s, my teacher used to play Yellow Submarine to put us to sleep during nap time. Worked like a charm.

by Anonymousreply 157April 18, 2021 10:59 PM

"Yellow Submarine " is like an old British pub song.

Although we think of the 1960s as being all about the jet-age future, there was a huge nostalgia wave at the same time, especially toward the latter half of the decade.

by Anonymousreply 158April 19, 2021 2:00 AM

My father was a very old fashioned conservative Nixonian man and we were in the car and Hey Jude was playing on the radio and he shocked me by saying 'I like that song but I wish they wouldn't go on like that at the end.'

by Anonymousreply 159April 19, 2021 2:29 AM

R152 it was not very effective sarcasm. I am also R141. I can’t get enough of the Beatles and listening to them honestly changes my mood for the better.

It just annoys me that everything good has to be “torn down.”

To me, they still sound sound fresh. I never get tired of listening to them and I’m always noticing new things.

by Anonymousreply 160April 19, 2021 4:59 AM

R160, your comment about always hearing new things reminds me of an interview I read with Kate Bush once, where she said that she wanted to make The Dreaming like Sgt Pepper - an album where no matter how many times you listen to it, you keep hearing new things (and I think she succeeded).

by Anonymousreply 161April 19, 2021 8:39 PM

R161 amazing you said that because I almost added that Kate Bush is the other artist whose music is always a new “discovery” for me. I’m always falling in love with different songs of hers.

by Anonymousreply 162April 19, 2021 9:12 PM

R159, My "Greatest Generation" father declared, after reading some of John Lennon's "In His Own Write" poetry in "The Saturday Evening Post," that Lennon was a genius.

I don't think he cared too much for the music, though!

by Anonymousreply 163April 19, 2021 11:13 PM

For those who think today's musicians are so much better: If true, it is because they, as with the Beatles before them, stand on the shoulders of giants.

by Anonymousreply 164April 19, 2021 11:15 PM

I think their music is timeless, and their heyday was before my time. They perfected the 2.5 minute pop song.

by Anonymousreply 165April 19, 2021 11:18 PM

Two little played Beatles songs that I like very much are "I Need You" and "I'll Follow The Sun." They're both simple little ditties, but they're so beautiful, so sweet. The Rolling Stones could never come up with anything like that.

by Anonymousreply 166April 20, 2021 12:20 AM

[quote]"They are massively overrated. None of them could sing."

Sure...🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167April 20, 2021 6:28 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes!!

Paul rocks “Oh Darling”. I wonder how many takes they did in the studio before his voice crapped out. Totally understandable, as the singing part is written in the stratosphere.

by Anonymousreply 168April 20, 2021 7:42 AM

Gen X here, never even remotely understood their appeal.

by Anonymousreply 169April 20, 2021 8:25 AM

And you post this, r169?

by Anonymousreply 170April 20, 2021 10:52 AM

"Revolver" was their last good album. Then Yoko Ono came along, wrecked John's marriage and totally destroyed the band, creatively and interpersonally.

by Anonymousreply 171April 20, 2021 11:16 AM

R171 I don’t agree about Revolver being their last best album. I LOVE Abbey Road. Could listen to it every day.

Regarding “Oh, Darling,” Lennon said later he should’ve sang, not Paul, because it sounded more like one of his songs.

by Anonymousreply 172April 20, 2021 12:23 PM

I listened to Revolver for the first time last year and I didn't love it that much. But from Sgt Pepper onwards I enjoy most of their stuff.

by Anonymousreply 173April 20, 2021 12:24 PM

It’s funny, I may not love a song of theirs at one point but then suddenly I do. I never thought much about Paperback Writer and now it’s one of my favorites.

Never really liked The Long and Winding Road but recently heard the stripped down, Let it Be...Naked version and I love it.

by Anonymousreply 174April 20, 2021 12:30 PM

"Golden Slumbers" is one that comes into my head often, I think that's an underrated one.

by Anonymousreply 175April 20, 2021 12:38 PM

R175 I love the way it goes into one of my favorites, Carry That Weight. I really like how you can hear Ringo in the chorus of voices.

by Anonymousreply 176April 20, 2021 12:43 PM

Can anyone name another band with 50 GREAT songs?

by Anonymousreply 177April 20, 2021 12:46 PM

[quote]Can anyone name another band with 50 GREAT songs?

The Beach Boys

Linda Ronstadt (even though she didn't write them)

Miles Davis

John Coltrane

by Anonymousreply 178April 20, 2021 12:53 PM

Yes R176! I just love the second side to Abbey Road and how all those songs mix together; particularly "Golden Slumbers" into "Carry That Weight" as you say.

by Anonymousreply 179April 20, 2021 12:55 PM

[quote]There was a hard shift in music tastes

Nah. "Music tastes" for the masses is just whatever the music industry thinks it can sell to the kids next. There was no mass fan exodus of, for example, hair metal to grunge. The music industry and its arms (radio, MTV) decided this was the next new thing and dropped all support for a genre of music it no longer felt they could sell to the kids.

The Beatles changed EVERYTHING. And a big part of it was the mass hysteria they conjured and that the music industry latched onto for profit. Out of all the classics, The Beatles are the least overrated (and I'm not even a big fan except of some albums).

by Anonymousreply 180April 20, 2021 1:02 PM

R178 I would say the 20 range, especially for The Beach Boys & Miles Davis (Kind Of Blue & Porgy & Bess)

by Anonymousreply 181April 20, 2021 1:11 PM

The Stones a solid 40, but who’s counting?

by Anonymousreply 182April 20, 2021 1:14 PM

Ringo’s drum solo on The End!

by Anonymousreply 183April 20, 2021 1:17 PM

The Beatles were revolutionary - from a marketing standpoint. And that's all that matters, really.

by Anonymousreply 184April 20, 2021 1:20 PM

Except to the people who truly 💛 them! Meet the Beatles - 👨‍👨‍👦‍👦

by Anonymousreply 185April 20, 2021 1:25 PM

What about us?

by Anonymousreply 186April 20, 2021 1:26 PM

I really like some of the older Beatles songs, such as "Anna," "Chains," 'Til There Was You," "All My Lovin'," "I Call Your Name," and others, whether they wrote them or not.

by Anonymousreply 187April 20, 2021 3:15 PM

I like the raw, expressive quality of the songs where Lennon solos (before he started heavily post processing his vocals).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188April 20, 2021 4:06 PM

Nearly 200 posts and no mention of The Who? I think they were the best ever who played pure rock, and Entwistle and Moon were perhaps the greatest ever on their respective instruments. Here’s Entwistle isolated on the bass playing Won’t Get Fooled Again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189April 20, 2021 4:46 PM

[quote]Can anyone name another band with 50 GREAT songs?

There is no one.

by Anonymousreply 190April 20, 2021 4:57 PM

Queen, Pink Floyd, Sabbath...

by Anonymousreply 191April 20, 2021 5:08 PM

R191 List the songs they've created that have been covered by other singers.

by Anonymousreply 192April 20, 2021 5:13 PM

You're kidding, right, r192? (And I was responding to "name another band with 50 great songs). Here's a start if you were serious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193April 20, 2021 5:17 PM

R193 Still pales in comparison to the Beatles. Most covered band in history.

by Anonymousreply 194April 20, 2021 5:20 PM

And?

by Anonymousreply 195April 20, 2021 5:23 PM

I was the dreamweaver but now I’m reborn. I was the walrus but now I’m John. And so, dear friends, you’ll just have to carry on. The dream is over.

by Anonymousreply 196April 20, 2021 6:16 PM

R191, Fifty?

by Anonymousreply 197April 20, 2021 6:46 PM

Try this comparison, r193.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198April 20, 2021 6:49 PM

For r193:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199April 20, 2021 6:49 PM

Sorry for the duplicate.

by Anonymousreply 200April 20, 2021 7:08 PM

About "Oh! Darling"...in a Playboy interview John said he knew that was Paul's song but he thought he should have been the one to sing it. I think he may have been right. I think John could really have done an awesome job singing it.

by Anonymousreply 201April 20, 2021 8:57 PM

The Beatles did everything they did in six years

by Anonymousreply 202April 20, 2021 9:20 PM

The Beatles had more than 50 great songs. The second half of their greatest hits alone is about 50. They have hundreds. No one else approaches that, really.

by Anonymousreply 203April 21, 2021 2:04 AM

Plus all the songs they gave away to other artists who had hits with them, nearly 200, I think.

by Anonymousreply 204April 21, 2021 2:43 AM

"According to Guinness World Records, “Yesterday” has the most cover versions of any song ever written. "

"The song remains popular today with more than 1,600 recorded cover versions."

by Anonymousreply 205April 21, 2021 3:23 AM

More than White Christmas?

by Anonymousreply 206April 21, 2021 4:34 AM

John's marriage was wrecked way before Yoko, R170.

Talk to Cynthia Twist.

by Anonymousreply 207April 22, 2021 3:55 PM

I always preferred the Rolling Stones to the Beatles from that period.

The Beatles were a boy band while the Stones were just on another level of style, maturity and sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 208April 22, 2021 4:00 PM

Sure, Jan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209April 22, 2021 4:08 PM

"John's marriage was wrecked way before Yoko."

Not exactly "wrecked." More like nonexistent. He and Cynthia basically lived separate lives, but there was no major rift between them. John made no attempt to divorce her. Yoko Ono was the catalyst that ended the marriage. John abandoned Cynthia (and his son Julian) to be with her. It would have been nice if he had given Cynthia a big divorce settlement but he didn't even do that. When John Lennon died I grieved, because his death truly meant the Beatles were over, but later on I felt a little ashamed for doing that. He was such a prick.

by Anonymousreply 210April 22, 2021 5:51 PM

I don’t think John had a lot of money til Yoko started investing for him. Still, he should’ve taken care of Julian.

People assume the Beatles made tons of money on those posters and lunchboxes but they didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 211April 22, 2021 6:41 PM

R208, A "Boy Band" is properly a group of male singers (Backstreet Boys, Boyzone, 'NSync, One Direction, etc.) who are not the primary instrumentalists. That's why many Boy Band acts can include choreography.

The major British Invasion groups comprised both singers and primary instrumentalists; hence NOT "Boy Bands."

by Anonymousreply 212April 23, 2021 11:52 PM

Perfection:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213April 25, 2021 3:57 AM

I was a kid when Eleanor Rigby was released...it sounded like nothing you had ever heard before.

by Anonymousreply 214April 25, 2021 4:05 AM

McCartney wanted the violins to sound jarring and stacato like the Psycho theme.

by Anonymousreply 215April 25, 2021 5:33 PM

A Day In The Life is sublime.

by Anonymousreply 216April 25, 2021 7:32 PM

Tomorrow Never Knows fascinates me, from Lennon’s lyrics to Ringos’ bongos to McCartney’s distorted seagull laugh. Great song.

by Anonymousreply 217April 25, 2021 9:16 PM

Revolver definitely took a sharp left turn from the standard "rock n' roll" everyone was used to hearing. And every track sounds completely unique.

by Anonymousreply 218April 25, 2021 9:34 PM

Listen to Eleanor Rigby and remember that just five years earlier, pop music was Frankie Avalon, Bobby Rydell and Fabian.

by Anonymousreply 219April 25, 2021 9:40 PM

Hey Jude is one of my least favorite songs of all time, and it drags on for ever. As a Brit growing up at that time, I think we had a lot of much better bands than the Beatles. My regret is not discovering the harder side of Sweet in the 70s because I was too busy studying. Much better voices, and looks.

by Anonymousreply 220April 25, 2021 9:56 PM

I tried Revolver but didn't like it as much as I was expecting, or that everyone else lead me to believe. Not that I think it was bad. But Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album and Abbey Road are the top Beatles albums for me.

by Anonymousreply 221April 26, 2021 10:17 AM

Revolver grew on me.

by Anonymousreply 222April 26, 2021 9:23 PM

R220 I too dislike Hey Jude. I think Lennon's songs have aged much better than McCartney's.

by Anonymousreply 223April 26, 2021 9:37 PM

It’s hard to choose who had the better voice. McCartney’s voice is very sweet and melodic but Lennon’s was perfect for rock and roll. I can’t explain why, exactly, but listening to him sing is very satisfying. When they sang together and with Harrison, it was magic.

by Anonymousreply 224April 27, 2021 8:48 AM

They were great self-promoters

by Anonymousreply 225April 27, 2021 10:08 AM

They had Brian Epstein behind them, r225. But they definitely were revolutionary. Every album they put out was ground breaking in some way. They may not be your cup of tea, but you can’t deny their influence, even today.

by Anonymousreply 226April 27, 2021 2:31 PM

R226 people don’t deny now, because it’s in vogue to shit on any talented white person, especially when it comes to musicians.

It’s one thing to say you don’t like their music, that’s fine. It’s asinine to say they weren’t extremely talented innovators.

But whatever. Their music will endure.

by Anonymousreply 227April 27, 2021 4:07 PM

People DO deny it now, I meant.

by Anonymousreply 228April 27, 2021 4:08 PM

Because people are stupid, r228.

Not-Boomers like to say that So-and-So's current music is light-years "better" than the Beatles', which opinion never accounts for the social context and milieu; the extant recording technology; or the now-accepted but then-innovative approaches to their songs by the group, George Martin, and Brian Epstein.

But Boomers know, because we not only are here now, but we were there then.

The Beatles' appearance on "The Ed Sullivan Show," less than three months after the JFK assassination and the televised murder of LHO. I don't think the combined effect of these events on the collective psyche of a generation has been fully analyzed.

by Anonymousreply 229April 27, 2021 5:44 PM

Mariah's number ones are NOT that memorable and I say that as a somewhat fan. Really, I think Madonna's 8 or 9 number one hits from 1985 through 1992 destroy Mariah's 15 or so number-one hits from 1990 through 2000. It's ironic that two of Mariah's most remembered older hits are two songs that never hit number one in America in their original run (Without You and All I Want for Christmas). And let's not even TRY to compare Mariah's number one hits with those of The Beatles.

by Anonymousreply 230April 27, 2021 11:45 PM

What is it about Lennon's raw vocals? They just slice right through me. This one was influenced by his "Dylan period" although some thought it was secretly about his holiday in Barcelona with Epstein.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231April 28, 2021 2:49 AM

MASSIVELY overrated

none of them were great singers

some of their songs are great. Not every Beatles song is a fucking masterpiece as their baby boomer stans would have you believe

by Anonymousreply 232April 28, 2021 2:51 AM

The real story of what happened between Lennon and Epstein according to his childhood friend Pete Shotton...

"I visited John at Aunt Mimi’s a few days after his return to England. And when he started in about how much he had enjoyed Spain, I could hardly resist taking the piss out of him. “So you had a good time with Brian, then?” I smirked. Nudge nudge, wink wink.

I was somewhat taken aback when John didn’t so much as crack a smile. “Oh, fuckin’ hell,” he groaned. “Not you as well, Pete!”

“What do you mean, not me as well?”

“They’re all fucking going on about it.”

It’s OK, John. Don’t take it so serious. I’m just joking, for Christ’s sake.”

“Actually Pete,” he said softly, “Something did happen with him one night.”

Now that wiped the grin right off my face. Had I even dreamed there might be any truth whatsoever to the rumors, I would never have made light of the subject in the first place. Still – as John surely knew – I would have stood by him, and let the rest of the world handle the business of passing moral judgement, even if he had just told me he’d committed murder. And John would surely have done the same for me. Which, after all, is what true friendship is all about.

“What happened,” John explained, “is that Eppy just kept on and on at me. Until one night I finally just pulled me trousers down and said to him: ‘Oh, for Christ’s sake, Brian, just stick it up me fucking arse then.’

“And he said to me, ‘Actually, John, I don’t do that kind of thing. That’s not what I like to do.’

“‘Well,’ I said, ‘what is it you like to do, then?’

“And he said, ‘I’d really just like to touch you, John.’

“And so I let him toss me off.”

And that was that. End of story.

“That’s all, John” I said. “Well, so what? What’s the big fucking deal, then?”

“Yeah, so fucking what! The poor bastard. He’s having a fucking hard enough time anyway.” This was in reference to the “butch” dockers who, on several recent occasions, had rewarded Brian’s advances by beating him to a bloody pulp.

“So what harm did it do, then, Pete, for fuck’s sake?” John asked rhetorically. “No harm at all. The poor fucking bastard, he can’t help the way he is.”

Pete Shotton (John Lennon: In My Life)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233April 28, 2021 2:55 AM

R231 one of my favorites. I can’t pinpoint why his vocals are so good.

Another amazing thing is how different the songs are. Come Together, If I Fell, Eleanor Rigby...all from the same band in 6 years.

by Anonymousreply 234April 28, 2021 2:56 AM

R233 that’s hot.

by Anonymousreply 235April 28, 2021 2:59 AM

Brian Epstein was in love with John Lennon. But Lennon tended to treat him like shit. When he asked what might be a good title for a memoir he was writing Lennon suggested "Queer Jew." He eventually called it "A Cellar Full of Noise"; Lennon said it should have been "A Cellar Full of Boys." Lennon was very cruel to him, full well knowing how Epstein felt about him.

by Anonymousreply 236April 28, 2021 3:33 AM

[quote]Not every Beatles song is a fucking masterpiece as their baby boomer stans would have you believe

No, but their hit to shit ratio was higher than pretty much anyone else's.

by Anonymousreply 237April 28, 2021 4:16 AM

No "baby boomer stans" have ever said that every Beatles song was a masterpiece. Like any other musical act they had duds. But the number of good/great/classic songs did they come up with were substantial.

by Anonymousreply 238April 28, 2021 4:38 AM

They made dorky people feel cool with their great friendship and sense of humor. Their songs were ok, but the band friendship story sold it.

by Anonymousreply 239April 28, 2021 4:55 AM

R219 Say thanks to drugs.

by Anonymousreply 240April 28, 2021 4:57 AM

R236, I'd heard things like that too, how one of the lines in "Baby You're A Rich Man" John sung as "Baby you're a rich jew fag" or something like that, can't remember the exact words.

Poor Epstein, you just want to go back in time and tell him to get himself some self-esteem, pronto!

by Anonymousreply 241April 28, 2021 10:19 AM

R232, How does it feel to be in a minority group? I mean, you must be aware of the many tomes of brighter minds that disagree MASSIVELY with your overwrought and unsubstantiated opinion.

As to your observation that you no doubt think is trenchant: There is not a group or performer who has had nothing but musical triumphs, so your strawman points at your faves, too.

by Anonymousreply 242April 28, 2021 6:19 PM

[quote]MASSIVELY overrated,none of them were great singers

Sure, Jan...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243May 13, 2021 7:32 AM

I remember my grandfather in the '90s saying that their music was pretty simple and lyrics pedestrian, and that the only reason they're notable is because they were the first British band to hit it big in the U.S. Thus, ushering in the British Invasion of the mid to late '60s. But they were very much inspired by Americans like Elvis, Buddy Holly and The Crickets, and the Everly Brothers. He said they were not doing anything new. They were just British.

by Anonymousreply 244May 13, 2021 7:53 AM

Well, if your GRANDFATHER said it......

I'll bet he was a clean old man.

by Anonymousreply 245May 13, 2021 8:22 AM

Helllooooo, Grandfather!

by Anonymousreply 246May 13, 2021 1:14 PM

He's a villain - a real mixer!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247May 13, 2021 2:10 PM

Many bands have huge screaming fan bases, but none have transcended like the Beatles. They have dozens of timeless classics that have been covered by thousands of artists. They will live as long as there are humans invested in music, no different than Bach or Beethoven. The Beatles were masters, lightning in a bottle and we are enriched as a society because they once were and always will be the Fab 4.

by Anonymousreply 248May 13, 2021 2:24 PM

R248 the Beatles were knock-off rock-n-roll bands who benefited from American Anglophilia. Yes, they contributed some great songs ("Hey, Jude" is one of my favorites), but they were not that life-altering. Things were changing as they came along. JFK's assassination a few months before their Ed Sullivan debut paved the way for escapism.

by Anonymousreply 249May 13, 2021 2:37 PM

R247 and the poor head tremblin’ under the weight of it!

by Anonymousreply 250May 13, 2021 4:05 PM

R259 From Love Me Do to Hey Jude in eight years. They innovated at light speed. No other artist has done that. Even if you don’t like them, you cannot deny their influence.

by Anonymousreply 251May 13, 2021 4:06 PM

[quote]the Beatles were knock-off rock-n-roll bands who benefited from American Anglophilia. Yes, they contributed some great songs ("Hey, Jude" is one of my favorites), but they were not that life-altering.

You obviously were not around then.

by Anonymousreply 252May 13, 2021 5:34 PM

[quote]I remember my grandfather in the '90s saying that their music was pretty simple and lyrics pedestrian, and that the only reason they're notable is because they were the first British band to hit it big in the U.S. Thus, ushering in the British Invasion of the mid to late '60s. But they were very much inspired by Americans like Elvis, Buddy Holly and The Crickets, and the Everly Brothers. He said they were not doing anything new. They were just British.

R244 Sorry but your grandad sounds pretty dumb.

Yes the early Beatles did include covers of their American idols and imitated their sound but their first smash hits sounded NOTHING like "Elvis, Buddy Holly and The Crickets, and the Everly Brothers."

To say that "they were not doing anything new." is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 253May 13, 2021 5:39 PM

[quote] their music was pretty simple and lyrics pedestrian

Pop music and lyrics have always been a relatively simple endeavor. They're derived from the universal human emotions of heartache, frustration and longing, all to elicit mass appeal, not the existential musings of Dostoevsky. Classical music or jazz was never intended to or will ever have that type of broad engagement.

The Beatles were the perfect storm, so to speak, of four uniquely talented individuals coming together at just the right moment in time: the embryonic stages of the social upheaval of the 1960s. They were acutely sensitive to the change occurring in the world around them, and their unprecedented global fame allowed them to experiment and tap their creativity like no other musical group before them.

In that context, I don't think the Beatles are overrated. Collectively speaking, they had an uncanny savvy and an extraordinary ability to reflect in their music the times in which they lived.

by Anonymousreply 254May 13, 2021 6:29 PM

Their music really enhances my life.

I know, I know - (Mother) Mary!

by Anonymousreply 255May 13, 2021 6:37 PM

The Beatles are not overrated. Want to know who is overrated? Fleetwood Mac.

by Anonymousreply 256May 13, 2021 6:38 PM

I can't believe this is true but I read somewhere that someone in the Wilson family said they made more money off the Beatles Till There Was You than all the royalties together of The Music Man.

by Anonymousreply 257May 14, 2021 1:21 AM

R256 yes and yes. Stevie Nicks should have never been the first woman in the hall of fame twice, either.

by Anonymousreply 258May 14, 2021 2:36 AM

The lyrics were no simpler any other blues or pop music of the era.

Get A Job (by The Silhouettes)

Yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip

Sha na na na, sha na na na na

Yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip

Mum mum mum mum mum mum

Get a job, sha na na na, sha na na na na

Ev'ry morning about this time

She get me out of my bed

A-crying, get a job

After breakfast ev'ry nay

She throws the want ads right my way

And never fails to say

Get a job, sha na na na, sha na na na na....

by Anonymousreply 259May 14, 2021 2:43 AM

R257 I read that Paul was a big fan of Peggy Lee and so wanted to record Til There Was You because of her version. The Beatles and Lee versions are both great, much better than the MM one.

by Anonymousreply 260May 14, 2021 1:40 PM

[quote]their music was pretty simple and lyrics pedestrian

Compare the lyrics to "Yesterday", "Elenore Rigby", "'In My Life'", 'A Day in the Life', 'Let It Be', 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps', 'Here, There and Everywhere', 'You've Got to Hide Your Love Away', 'For No One'...with other pop songs written between 1965 and 1970.

by Anonymousreply 261May 15, 2021 1:26 AM

These four guys were the coolest of the coolest . Intelligent , experimental and super talented . No one can touch them!

by Anonymousreply 262May 15, 2021 6:46 PM

I did!

by Anonymousreply 263May 15, 2021 10:48 PM

I don't know how the hell my tourist post made it onto the Beatles thread.

by Anonymousreply 264May 16, 2021 12:25 AM

R249, You are being deliberately obtuse. The Beatles changed everything. Sure, other battles helped win the war, but first there had to be the invasion at Normandy.

First there had to be the Beatles.

by Anonymousreply 265May 16, 2021 10:19 AM

But r249 (r265 here), it really and emphatically is true that "you had to be there."

No amount of reading, of being given reasons or examples or comparisons or videos, or even of listening to the Beatles' oeuvre, can offer you the experience, the visceral and immediate thrill of connection to Ringo's brief drum roll to open "She Loves You" on "The Ed Sullivan Show," February 9, 1964. Teens across the U.S. felt an earthquake, and its tremors remain with us still.

"Bliss it was in that dawn to be alive,

But to be young was very heaven!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266May 16, 2021 10:37 AM

I think people resent not being part of significant so it annoys younger people that an artist before their time is still held up as the best. People want to feel as though they living through a time of historic change RIGHT NOW. I get that.

However, I don’t see it that way. They were well before my time but I’m glad I have their music. I love the music of my youth, 80s bands, but the Beatles were something singular and without peer.

I admit, I would have loved to be around to follow their course from the first to last albums - THAT must’ve been something!

by Anonymousreply 267May 16, 2021 7:24 PM

[quote]I think people resent not being part of significant so it annoys younger people that an artist before their time is still held up as the best. They were well before my time but I’m glad I have their music.

I feel the same. I wish I could have been here, with them .....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268May 16, 2021 7:45 PM

[quote] Want to know who is overrated? Fleetwood Mac.

You triggered half of DL with this comment. The half that even finds Stevie's solo music impressive. Let's face it--she started sounding like a goat after the early 80s or so and she has never sounded great since then.

by Anonymousreply 269May 16, 2021 8:10 PM

I don’t know, but it sounds as if the cicadas are going to get their due this summer.

by Anonymousreply 270May 16, 2021 8:25 PM

R269 Me too! Imagine hearing that for the first time!

by Anonymousreply 271May 16, 2021 8:29 PM

R268 I meant lol

by Anonymousreply 272May 16, 2021 8:29 PM

I was too young to have felt the cultural earthquake from '63-'64 but the later part of their career from St Pepper on was an important part of my awareness of the outside world and of those of everyone else under the age of 30 it seemed.

by Anonymousreply 273May 16, 2021 10:20 PM

My oldest sister had teen magazine photos of the Beatles plastered all over her bedroom walls in 1964, and to her and her friends they were the absolute rage.

My childhood friend and I would make cardboard guitar cut-outs and stand on the ledge of a giant brick factory window and pretend we were John and Paul on stage.

My father and mother could make no sense of the Fab Four phenomenon at all and the song "She Loves You" (yeah!, yeah!, yeah!) sounded completely ridiculous to them. To my father, they were corrupting the minds of young girls and causing them to go insane. All of their other hits at the time including "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "A Hard Days Night" were played on the radio endlessly, night and day. As a young kid who was too young to understand or care about most of the world's current events, I remember them seemingly being front and center for the longest time. You really had to be there to grasp it all.

And this was just the beginning. The spectacle of the effect they were having on pop culture and social mores as the 60s evolved is incomparable to anything before or since in modern times.

by Anonymousreply 274May 16, 2021 11:00 PM

R274 even WAP?!?

by Anonymousreply 275May 16, 2021 11:02 PM

A Hard Day's Night was hardly revolutionary. They were a straight skiffle band at that point, albeit with great melodies and commercial appeal. The Beatles changed music forever with Rubber Soul. Such a dramatic change in sound and image in a relatively conservative industry was a bold move. It was like if The Every Brothers became Pink Floyd. The Beatles weren't the first anglophone musicians to introduce non-western (or non-African) music styles. Dick Dale who was Lebanese-American invented surf rock when he played Arabic scales on electric guitar. The Beatles just had the perfect mix of talent, charisma, and willingness to experiment that made them the right bands for the right time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276May 17, 2021 7:41 AM

R276, Whoever made the "non-Western...music styles" claim, re: the Beatles, that you refute?

by Anonymousreply 277May 17, 2021 10:43 AM

R276 A smash hit in 1953 long before Dick Dale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278May 17, 2021 5:50 PM

And Rosemary Clooney with her signature song "Come On-a My House". Another smash from the early 50s. The tune is based on an Armenian folk song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279May 17, 2021 5:56 PM

BTW: that Clooney number is bona fide rock. 1951.

by Anonymousreply 280May 17, 2021 6:00 PM

R278 R279. Dale's version of Missirlou was special because it blended modern recording techniques and ELECTRIC GUITAR. It became the blueprint for hardrock. Com On-A My House influenced no one cool or influential. It's an old lady song.

[quote]Fender introduced the Stratocaster in 1954 and its solid body construction became popularized by Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens not much later, yet Dale is who really pushed the limits of the Strat, not to mention Fender’s amplification. Leo Fender heard tale of Dale’s riotous concerts at the Rendezvous Ballroom in Orange County, where the guitarist continually pushed his amps to the point of destruction in pursuit of a throttling sound that emphasized the low end. Soon enough, Fender was working with the guitarist to develop one of the first “stacked” guitar amps, where the amplifier box rested upon the speaker cabinet; Leo named the Showman in tribute to Dick’s skills as a performer.

[quote]Echo wasn’t unheard of in popular music in the early ’60s, but it usually was a product of the studio. Sam Phillips slapped on a doubleback echo at his Sun Studio, creating a delay by recording a playback while cutting a group playing live, while Duane Eddy’s trembling tremolo on 1958’s “Rebel-’Rouser” opened the door for the kind of guitar instrumental that would become Dale’s specialty. Inspired by the swirling sounds of the Hammond organ’s reverb tank, Dale wanted to bring that kind of enveloping echo to the stage. Through some trial and error, Fender channeled this into a pedal that drastically expanded Dale’s tonal options. Where he once slashed and stabbed with his Strat, Dale could now paint with reverb. Famously, this effect was dubbed “wet,” which was all too appropriate for surf rock. The term also captured how the music seemed warm and alive, dripping with colors.

[quote]This twin innovation of crushing volume and mind-expanding effects was an immediate sensation in the region. Countless SoCal bands coveted this charged, electric sound, snapping up Stratocasters and offshoots like the Jazzmaster and Jaguar, running them through Fender amps and reverb boxes. And many of these groups went onto greater commercial success than Dick Dale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281May 17, 2021 6:06 PM

[quote]Dale's version of Missirlou was special because it blended modern recording techniques and ELECTRIC GUITAR. It became the blueprint for hardrock. Com On-A My House influenced no one cool or influential. It's an old lady song.

You wrote: "The Beatles weren't the first anglophone musicians to introduce non-western (or non-African) music styles."

As if anyone claimed they were the first.

I'm simply pointing out that others did in popular hits long before the Beatles or Dick dale.

Your other comment: "A Hard Day's Night" was hardly revolutionary"

Once again, who ever made the claim that the song "A Hard Day's Night" was "revolutionary"? The Beatles certainly were but not every song was.

by Anonymousreply 282May 17, 2021 6:17 PM

]quote]Com On-A My House influenced no one cool or influential. It's an old lady song.

And there you go again.

Please point out where I wrote that Com On-A My House influenced anyone?

It is what it is. A novelty song with a non-western melody that became a big hit. Stan Freeman's arrangement was something new for the time. How influential that arrangement was or wasn't, I have no idea. I mentioned the song because it too had a non western melody.

And speaking of surf: The Surf Punks did a version of it in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 283May 17, 2021 6:38 PM

What inspired using the sitar, according to Harrison...

[quote]"When we were working on Norwegian Wood it just needed something and it was quite spontaneous, from what I remember. I just picked up the sitar, found the notes and just played it. We miked it up and put it on and it just seemed to hit the spot. " (Roylance, 2000).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284May 17, 2021 11:54 PM

One of my favorites. The sitar really makes it. Again, another example of their canny knack for developing their sound.

People today hear a sitar of all of those 60s inspired 90s songs and assume rock stars just always picked up unusual (to their own culture) instruments.

by Anonymousreply 285May 18, 2021 12:20 PM

Wasn't around for Beatles in their heyday, but enjoyed lots of former members solo efforts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286May 30, 2021 12:44 AM

I think people bought Paul McCartney's solo records primarily because he used to be a Beatle. So much of what he put out was dreck, but it got to be big hits anyway. "My Love", "Silly Love Songs", "Someone's Knocking At The Door", those stupid duets with Stevie Wonder ("Ebony and Ivory") and Michael Jackson ("The Girl Is Mine")...whew, what a bunch of clunkers.

by Anonymousreply 287May 30, 2021 2:50 AM

Love this one by George - works so well for the movie.

As for McCartney, he’s had some “clunkers” as you say that were “of their time” and sound dated. He’s also had a LOT of great material, too. There is / was an excellent thread on just McCartney’s solo work.

by Anonymousreply 288June 6, 2021 2:14 PM

Here’s the song -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289June 6, 2021 2:15 PM

I keep thinking that a lot of Beatles/McCartney stuff sounds like Burt Bacharach. Some others sound like Gilbert & Sullivan - and still others like kindergartners' songs.

And there's nothing wrong with that, per se - Gilbert & Sullivan and Bacharach were great. What they weren't is "rock and roll." The Beatles don't seem like any sort of rock and roll to me - not traditional rock (after the cheesy Chuck Berry or Fats Domino ripoffs like Twist and Shout) - not glam rock, not bluesy rock - just not rock at all. More like operettas and little Vaudevillian ditties. Oh and the Sinatra/Bacharach stuff like Yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 290June 6, 2021 2:18 PM

R290 Some of his output is bland pop songs, yes. But he has some experimental stuff as well. Ram is great album, as is mcCartney II - really ahead if it’s time!

And for some great plain old pop songs, Tug of War is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 291June 6, 2021 2:26 PM

Always loved this duet with Carl Perkins.

Mccartney seems to make music to please himself, not because he cares what sells. I like that about him. He seems like a genuinely happy man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292June 6, 2021 2:27 PM

The Beatles had a lot of rock and roll songs, though. Helter Skelter, A Hard Day’s Night, Taxman…

by Anonymousreply 293June 6, 2021 2:30 PM

Do you know who is overrated OP ? BEYONCE....I read an article this morning about her daughter Blue Ivy being worth 500 MILLION in her own right and that she already has a Grammy and an NAACP award...AT 8 YEARS OLD. Talk about bullshit hype that the public just eats up...its like the Kardashians...became billionaires FOR WHAT ? Aside from Single Ladies, I cant name a single Beyonce song off the top of my head. To this day you hear songs by The Beatles on the radio, in films, in commercials. They left a mark in the music industry, thats for sure.

by Anonymousreply 294June 6, 2021 2:34 PM

R294 you’re not really allowed to say that because “vague racism.”

It’s become fashionable to say, “the Beatles weren’t that good, they were terrible musicians because Saint Quincy Jones said so, George Martin wrote their music, they weren’t innovators, John Lennon was a women beater so let’s cancel him…” I’m waiting for the inevitable “and they were racist” lie,” as we saw in the Elvis Presley thread.

by Anonymousreply 295June 6, 2021 2:38 PM

I've always had a pathological hatred of Paul. John can be brilliant. George Harrison was always my fave.

by Anonymousreply 296June 6, 2021 2:43 PM

R296 Hatred? Why? I can understand not liking his music or singing voice but as far as being a celebrity and person, he seems like a good guy - not obnoxious, attention seeking or in your face. He also does a lot of charity work. He seems like a content man. I admire that.

by Anonymousreply 297June 6, 2021 2:53 PM

R297 Paul has no edge. He's a huge pussy. His solo work reflects that. He may have been the most popular but I loathe any song he writes or sings. He also elbowed John out of rightful credit for his brilliant work. Paul is the equivalent of all U2's work. That is, U2 are rightfully hated and seen as untruthful.

by Anonymousreply 298June 6, 2021 2:59 PM

The Beatles were legends in their own time , plus they probably would never have seen success had it not been for their gay manager Brian Epstein

by Anonymousreply 299June 6, 2021 3:19 PM

Somebody thinks they are still relevant….60 years and running and their albums are still selling

by Anonymousreply 300June 6, 2021 3:23 PM

I'm not a McCartney lover but I don't hate the guy. It was Lennon's edginess that made the Beatles innovators after their early, fluffy pop tunes. Their "new sound" was all Lennon and his voice was always distinctive, raw and sexy.

by Anonymousreply 301June 6, 2021 3:57 PM

R298 I don’t think being “edgy” was ever his priority, though I would imagine (and sadly I wasn’t around to have experienced this) the Beatles WERE edgy when they came out. Certainly Paul’s Helter Skelter was.

Not a fan of U2 but I don’t the comparison is apt. I don’t know who writes their songs, but they’ve never put out anything close to Hey Jude or Eleanor Rigby. As for that last, I read that the strings were intended tj sound like the jagged violin score to Pyschio. I’d say that’s pretty edgy lol.

I do adore Lennon’s work (the song God moves me to tears) but the Beatles as a whole had an incredible synergy, and much of it was due to Paul’s talent.

by Anonymousreply 302June 6, 2021 4:00 PM

“Raw and sexy” - perfect description of Lennon’s voice.

by Anonymousreply 303June 6, 2021 4:01 PM

R152 A member of Generation M. Miserable.

by Anonymousreply 304June 6, 2021 4:20 PM

Hey Jude is one of the worst fucking songs EVER. Five fucking minutes of nah nah nah nah. That song makes me want to stab everyone on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 305June 6, 2021 6:59 PM

R305 I see a posters on here saying that but for many people (myself included) it’s a perfect song. If it’s not my absolute favorite song, it’s in my top 3.

I’m not familiar with U2 after the 90s, but I’ve never heard any of their songs come close. To me, they’re pretty bland.

In any case, even if you don’t like McCartney’s contributions to the Beatles, you’ve still got Lennon. And Harrison wrote quite a few lovely songs as well. Here Comes the Sun is another favorite of mine.

by Anonymousreply 306June 6, 2021 8:09 PM

Praise for Lennon's vocals on the 40th anniversary of his death...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307June 7, 2021 3:53 AM

R303 This illustrates what I'm talking about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308June 7, 2021 4:33 AM

I like the Beatles, but don't love them. I don't "care" about them like a huge number of people do - there are many other bands and artist I'd rather focus my passion for music on.

But, I don't think they're "overrated" in the slightest.

by Anonymousreply 309June 7, 2021 4:33 AM

Bad to Me was a Beatles composition (attributed to Lennon but probably written by Lennon and McCartney) commissioned for Billy J Kramer. Lennon mentions demoing it to Brian Epstein during their trip to Spain:

[quote]"We used to sit in a cafe in Torremolinos looking at all the boys and I’d say, ‘Do you like that one, do you like this one?’ I was rather enjoying the experience, thinking like a writer all the time: I am experiencing this, you know. And while he was out on the tiles one night, or lying asleep with a hangover one afternoon, I remember playing him the song Bad To Me. That was a commissioned song, done for Billy J Kramer, who was another of Brian’s singers." -- John Lennon (All We Are Saying, David Sheff)

On this video you can hear Lennon's soulful version and then Kramer's soulless version...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310June 7, 2021 6:22 AM

R308 I hear you. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 311June 7, 2021 11:37 AM

Can't resist posting another Lennon belter, back when they were covering R&B hits. This Live at the BBC version highlights his vocals better than the studio track on the album...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312June 11, 2021 1:25 AM

No….they were legends in their own time…and they’re still killin it!

by Anonymousreply 313June 11, 2021 1:29 AM

Nothing can surpass Lennon’s vocals on Twist and Shout……Take it , take it , baby now….masters of double entendre.

by Anonymousreply 314June 12, 2021 1:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!