Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends, See This

What do you think of this lovely period piece?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 26, 2021 3:01 PM

Nice. Not fussed on the period interiors (or the dreadful backsplash in the kitchen... dated old and dated new.) It doesn't look like eight bedrooms to me. There's a ton to work with and really all it needs is to eliminate the Miss Lindsay touches.

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2021 7:24 PM

It’s creepy and it’s kooky,

Mysterious and spooky,

Its all together ooky,

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2021 7:25 PM

The stark contrast of the contemporary kitchen with the rest of the house is unnerving. Victorian is not my style, but if you're going to do it you have to go all in. The front facade is butt ugly

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2021 7:26 PM

Wood flooring surrounding the indoor pool?

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2021 7:27 PM

As much as a preservationist that I am - and a big fan of the Second Empire architectural period, I find myself itching for an additional floor? It has me wanting the Mansarded second story to be 1/3 of the façade rather than half. Still lovely though~

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2021 7:29 PM

I agree with r5. The proportions of the elevation are off. The kitchen is tragic.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2021 7:31 PM

Hideous kitchen. What were they thinking. That pool? What the hell?

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2021 7:34 PM

OP - You are ALWAYS saying Tasteful Friends

If you were showcasing a house in Levittown would begin the thread with TACKY Friends

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2021 7:35 PM

Not jealous.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2021 7:38 PM

My Darling Albert wanted to an indoor swimming pool at Balmoral, but I vetoed the idea. But, he said to me (in German, of course), "But Dearest Victoria, in the future Victorian Architecture will include indoor swimming facilities." As usual, Albert was correct.

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2021 7:38 PM

Thank god they showed the yard prominently! Scary they wouldn’t show any of the bathrooms.

Also, it doesn’t look like it’s on the market. Are you gathering snark on a friend?

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2021 7:38 PM

R6-Your sex life is tragic too.

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2021 7:39 PM

I love the house.

I like the bedrooms.

I'd have to redecorate the first floor in a major way.

The kitchen is hideous.

The swimming pool is quite jarring (although it might be fun to have).

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2021 7:41 PM

Just for you, r8, dare to dream

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2021 7:42 PM

Love it all around, except for the pool. Since there's an access ramp in the back, I assume the pool was therapeutic for an invalid confined to a wheelchair.

Kitchen is fine.

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2021 7:45 PM

@r12, "[R6]-Your sex life is tragic too. "

Who peed on your Wheaties?

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2021 7:46 PM

R14- I just put that price of $8500 into the CPI inflation calculator and in today’s money 💰 one of those 1951 Levittown houses would be a bargain basement price of just over $85,000 .

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2021 7:47 PM

For 3.1mm, shouldn’t the realtor blur out the art?

One age-in-place selling point is that ramp out back. In fact, this house belonged to a cutting board manufacturer/maple syrup czar who was crippled tragically in a raccoon accident.

The pool was used as therapy and it’s heated. Unfortunately, the raccoon’s family still roams the property.

And the bathrooms are all beadboard with custom wood toilet seats and vinyl floors.

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2021 7:50 PM

R16- Remember the datalounge tag line - POINTLESS BITCHERY should nice 1995.

by Anonymousreply 19April 15, 2021 7:50 PM

SINCE 1995

by Anonymousreply 20April 15, 2021 7:51 PM

@r17,Those houses were originally what amounted to a garage with a bathroom, $85K as it was, un-updated, is generous. Notice the add said "Includes a TV"? Nothing about a stove, refrigerator, washer or dryer

by Anonymousreply 21April 15, 2021 7:52 PM

R21- I’m fairly certain that those early Levittown houses included a refrigerator, stove and even a washing machine.

They WERE a bargain.

by Anonymousreply 22April 15, 2021 8:00 PM

Looks like 1313 Mockingbird Lane!

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2021 8:01 PM

What sort of people live in Levittown today?

by Anonymousreply 24April 15, 2021 8:05 PM

Completely average people, R24 - luge lessons, summers in Rangoon.

by Anonymousreply 25April 15, 2021 8:12 PM

Victorian but in a scaled back, tasteful way.

by Anonymousreply 26April 15, 2021 8:14 PM

I was going through the pictures R4, thinking, "well I'd repaint, but otherwise nice". Then I hit the pool and I actually leaned back and said, "what the fuck is that?"

by Anonymousreply 27April 15, 2021 8:15 PM

I love it, even its awkward proportions. It reminds me of the house from The Four Story Mistake.

Needs some work, but I could take my time getting it fixed up after I move in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 15, 2021 8:23 PM

Lose the spa/pool inside, de-frau the interior, redo the kitchen, and it's perfect.

by Anonymousreply 29April 15, 2021 8:25 PM

Brookline is a city/suburb surrounded by Boston and very convenient to downtown. The location makes it so expensive, not the house. Like someone else mentioned, I would redo the exterior so the second floor continues the color and texture of the first floor and have the mansard roof only on the third level.

With the exception of the kitchen, most of the changes I would do would be cosmetic, updated wallpaper, new flooring in the hall, new colors for the bubblegum pink, orange and teal-colored rooms, probably redo the kitchen to something more traditional, and without the lollipop red cabinets and unusually large clock.

by Anonymousreply 30April 15, 2021 8:26 PM

What's not to like about the flooring in the hall?

by Anonymousreply 31April 15, 2021 8:31 PM

Gack.

by Anonymousreply 32April 15, 2021 8:32 PM

Nice that Pepto-Bismol is making paint now.

by Anonymousreply 33April 15, 2021 8:55 PM

Cool house, love the interiors, but yes that kitchen is al kinds of wrong. Fortunately it wouldnt need structural changes, just change the cabinet doors for something more in period with the house, and change the backsplash tiles in the same way. Te rest of the interior is fine as is, and I see no can lights for once! I particularly like the colours and the wallpaper

I can see why an indoor pool makes sense in that climate, but the way its done is just jarring and weird - its the one room that actually should look modern

by Anonymousreply 34April 15, 2021 8:57 PM

I was all in until that Kitchen. Talk about out of place... Not only does the kitchen not appear to relate to the house, but it is ghastly and hideous. The pink is just too strong and some of the other colors are off. The pool? What crackhead put that in there? It’s an invitation to slip and crack your head on the floor. R25 Cara Mia

by Anonymousreply 35April 15, 2021 9:02 PM

That's the oddest indoor pool I've ever seen

by Anonymousreply 36April 15, 2021 9:06 PM

Strange looking, and ugly, house.

by Anonymousreply 37April 15, 2021 9:09 PM

Curious taste. Everything it too much: the wallpaper and flooring, the light fixtures, the odd angles, the jarring contrast of modern and historic design.

by Anonymousreply 38April 15, 2021 9:13 PM

They’re throwing up a cream garage and there’s a fresh shitter in the yard.

by Anonymousreply 39April 15, 2021 9:16 PM

Love the period lighting! The portraits are nice. Don't like the kitchen—looks like a kitchen in a South End condo. The pool looks therapeutic. The grounds are nice. Love the teal color in that one room. The pink room looks beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 40April 15, 2021 10:03 PM

[quote]They’re throwing up a cream garage and there’s a fresh shitter in the yard.[quote]

What does this mean?

by Anonymousreply 41April 15, 2021 10:08 PM

It’s in the street view, R41. I was trying to see the layout of the pool and kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 42April 15, 2021 10:12 PM

I designed something similar when I was 10. Legos as the first floor and Lincoln logs as the second. I think I made the front porch out of tinker toys.

by Anonymousreply 43April 15, 2021 10:23 PM

[quote]I designed something similar when I was 10. Legos as the first floor and Lincoln logs as the second. I think I made the front porch out of tinker toys.

What is this supposed to mean?

by Anonymousreply 44April 15, 2021 10:27 PM

[quote] What is this supposed to mean?

That the exterior doesn't really make sense.

by Anonymousreply 45April 15, 2021 10:37 PM

Those portraits look like family members. Brookline has a lot of old Yankee money.

by Anonymousreply 46April 15, 2021 11:05 PM

I don't understand how Americans can always fuck up a pool?

So for sure, you need the money to fix this indoor pool eyesore.

Then, a shit load of paint.

And god knows what else.

by Anonymousreply 47April 15, 2021 11:18 PM

Its not a pool its a large soaking tub of some sort.

by Anonymousreply 48April 15, 2021 11:20 PM

A horror. The paint colors, the pattens in the wallpaper and rugs. The stunted proportions of the facade. Pool in a den. All around big pass.

by Anonymousreply 49April 15, 2021 11:20 PM

If I didn't know the size of it, I would've thought it was a feature on a mini-golf course.

by Anonymousreply 50April 15, 2021 11:25 PM

The hallway would get a nicotine glaze right over the paper and I’d fix the square they omitted because they didn’t have crown molding, the gelato room would get a red glaze and I’d leave green and blue alone.

I would tear out that stupid hood in the kitchen as well as the euro-bullshit cabinet and this is one time where I’d paint those cabinets white. I’d fill in the pool and make that the tap dancing room because there are times when Rocky Horror Picture Show is needed. I could refashion most of the whore drapes.

by Anonymousreply 51April 15, 2021 11:33 PM

The threadbare rugs suggest Yankee thrift.

by Anonymousreply 52April 15, 2021 11:40 PM

That horrible pool would be second on my agenda after dealing with that eyesore of a kitchen. What kind of crazed Frau goes from the Lincoln bedroom 1860s era wallpaper to THAT offensive modernist kitchen? I am offended and may write a letter!

by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2021 1:14 AM

I love the French blue shutters.

by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2021 1:40 AM

If a Puritan could be a house...this is what it would look like.

by Anonymousreply 55April 16, 2021 1:48 AM

[quote]I could refashion most of the whore drapes.

You have no taste.

by Anonymousreply 56April 16, 2021 1:53 AM

Heavens, I might FAINT!!!!

That Kitchen....

by Anonymousreply 57April 16, 2021 2:01 AM

[quote]If a Puritan could be a house...this is what it would look like.

Oh really.

by Anonymousreply 58April 16, 2021 2:14 AM

It might not be practical, but I quite like the pool. The kitchen is jarringly modern, but that might actually be nice in a house which is otherwise seemingly from a period drama.

Overall, the place is lovely. The only drawback is the bubblegum-pink drawing room. It needs a new colour, which is easy to fix. A bigger problem is the weird protruding wall which cuts the room in half.

I could live in this house pretty happily.

by Anonymousreply 59April 16, 2021 2:16 AM

It is a beautiful house, except for that hideous kitchen. Unfortunately I bet it smells of mildew inside because of the indoor pool.

by Anonymousreply 60April 16, 2021 3:23 AM

This house is an insatiable bottom.

by Anonymousreply 61April 16, 2021 3:34 AM

I like the alternating stripes of light and dark wood on the floor in the hall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 16, 2021 3:49 AM

[quote]I like the alternating stripes of light and dark wood on the floor in the hall.

Yes, so do I. And the Eastlake newel post lamp.

by Anonymousreply 63April 16, 2021 3:55 AM

"I could refashion most of the whore drapes."

"You have no taste."

I saw it in the window and I just couldn't resist...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 16, 2021 3:56 AM

Only a whore would refer to them as "drapes."

by Anonymousreply 65April 16, 2021 3:58 AM

At least you understood the reference. And those valances are as dated as the hobnail bullshit. That dining room is delightful.

And, yes, I would fuck around with glazing because the kitchen would be a mess anyway - might as well do it all at once.

by Anonymousreply 66April 16, 2021 4:04 AM

I'm pretty sure the "pool" is there for hydrotherapy. There is a wheelchair ramp outside. Someone in the owner's family has/had a chronic pain issue.

by Anonymousreply 67April 16, 2021 4:23 AM

The hallway stripes are just awful. And then when next to that busy wallpaper, it's enough to set off seizures. If you're going to have an indoor pool, put in a full-size pool. The room that bothers me too is the white bedroom with a study attached. I would make them separate rooms. Maybe a French door transition would work.

by Anonymousreply 68April 16, 2021 4:27 AM

R24- Levittown , N.Y. is still about 75% White.

by Anonymousreply 69April 16, 2021 4:29 AM

i felt the same way about the clash of the flooring and wallpaper in the hallway. i would replace the wallpaper; i rather like the unique flooring.

the kitchen is horrid and barely even any cabinet space so that's a complete re-do.

i think the hydrotherapy pool is fine. it was obviously for physical therapy for someone with health issues. heated, so you can use it year round (turn off the heat in the summer to cool down).

i think the worst thing about the house is the exterior is how far down that roofing extends on the building. that needs to be removed.

the hostas are gorgeous!!

by Anonymousreply 70April 16, 2021 4:33 AM

Outside is really nice; the inside sucks. Rooms are too small and the ceilings are too low.

by Anonymousreply 71April 16, 2021 4:33 AM

The entire house doesn’t make sense. But that pool looks like a huge issue. One, it’s surrounded by wood floors. Two, the heating ducts are on the floor, so too much movement in the water and you may get a nice bit of water right into your heating duct. I’m no expert but I feel that that’s be a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 72April 16, 2021 4:57 AM

The exterior is so...defined by that shit brown Mansard. I like the massing and 1.5 story Mansards are striking usually, but it comes down to being a $650k house in a $3.5M neighborhood.

The interior decoration and furniture are terrible (and the kitchen), but the rooms themselves are quite pleasant if a little kiw-ceilinged.

I'm guessing someone had a physical disability for that rehab looking pool; there's no excuse for it otherwise. It will cost way too much money to be rid of that problem.

by Anonymousreply 73April 16, 2021 7:31 AM

*low-ceilinged

by Anonymousreply 74April 16, 2021 8:02 AM

It can snow in May in Brookline. No wonder the therapy pool is inside.

Dealing with a detached garage would get old really fast.

by Anonymousreply 75April 16, 2021 9:17 AM

I love that all the bedrooms have fireplaces. Also love the velvet-covered chandelier poles in the drawing room. The interior design suits the house, I think. The rooms don't look small to me. Love the double-parlor drawing room....it's huge!

by Anonymousreply 76April 16, 2021 3:38 PM

I really like the hanging bronze light in the front hall. And the portraits are lovely. Also like the period sconces and the Eastlake hanging light in the teal library. And I like to newel post lamp in the front hall.

by Anonymousreply 77April 16, 2021 3:41 PM

I love the smell of chlorine in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 78April 16, 2021 3:43 PM

R69 forgot to mention trashy.

by Anonymousreply 79April 16, 2021 5:10 PM

[quote]And those valances are as dated as the hobnail bullshit.

What is the hobnail bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 80April 16, 2021 8:33 PM

Love how this place looks like a house museum.

by Anonymousreply 81April 17, 2021 9:19 PM

It looks like where the caretaker for a cemetery stays.

by Anonymousreply 82April 17, 2021 11:09 PM

[quote]It looks like where the caretaker for a cemetery stays.

Really? I doubt most cemetery caretakers live in such surroundings.

by Anonymousreply 83April 20, 2021 3:43 PM

Meh.

by Anonymousreply 84April 20, 2021 4:13 PM

Meh?

by Anonymousreply 85April 20, 2021 10:01 PM

No thanks. Dreary.

by Anonymousreply 86April 20, 2021 10:23 PM

Yeah, R85. Meh.

by Anonymousreply 87April 20, 2021 11:04 PM

I see that place every time I go to the cardiologist or the dentist. It's across the - very nice - street from the Green Line of the MBTA, Boston's public transit system. For that kind of money, I'd like a better view than trolley tracks with trains running on 'em from 5 am until 1 am. The line is electrified so it's not like diesel locomotives going by all day, but still...

Something else weird there, too: the RE assessment from the Town of Brookline has been almost halved (down by 43%, something that almost never happens unless the place burned down) and is now valued, for taxes, as less than what it sold for in 2016 despite the new garage and breezeway connecting it to the house which would have cost at the very least $150,000 - 200,000 to build.

by Anonymousreply 88April 20, 2021 11:10 PM

The bedrooms need attention.

by Anonymousreply 89April 25, 2021 6:47 PM

I love the teal room! The kitchen is tragic.

by Anonymousreply 90April 26, 2021 3:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!