Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Karen Olivo quits Moulin Rouge over theaterworld silence on Scott Rudin

YAAAAAAAS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120June 15, 2021 3:46 PM

Is she aware Rudin didn't produce Moulin Rouge?

by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2021 8:49 PM

She stunk anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2April 14, 2021 9:05 PM

Her stance makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 3April 14, 2021 9:15 PM

Which of Karen’s pronouns was speaking? She/her or they/them.

by Anonymousreply 4April 14, 2021 9:19 PM

"We're going out away from you...away from the Moulin Rouge!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 14, 2021 9:23 PM

Did Karen leave before speaking to a manager?

by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2021 9:24 PM

Is she going to return her Tony?

by Anonymousreply 7April 14, 2021 9:28 PM

I hope this dumb, overrated cunt goes away for good.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2021 12:00 AM

Isn't she nuttier than a squirrel turd?

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2021 12:03 AM

There was a girl, a very strange enchanted girl....

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2021 12:41 AM

Did she cut off all her hair?

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2021 1:19 AM

She was great in Moulin Rouge.

Too bad the whole thing was sort of meh

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2021 1:21 AM

Man if she thinks Rudin is bad, wait until she hears about the scores of other abusive people in the Broadway world alone. She'll never be able to take a job again until they're all "canceled".

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2021 2:06 AM

She has a real bipolar off her meds vibe in that Instagram video.

For years DLers have been posting about her coke habit and inability to consistently show up to performances.

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2021 2:18 AM

At least now she won’t have to take off the COVID weight.

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2021 2:20 AM

Isn't she a little....geriatric for the role anyway?

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2021 2:26 AM

She quit because Rubin is bad but he has nothing to do with the show. That seems very sane.

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2021 2:26 AM

She has left and return to Broadway more times than Follies, Fiddler, and Gypsy combined since 2000. One day, she'll go into her classroom wherever she is in Arizona and find that she has no students.

As Debbie Reynolds said about Rachel Maron in "The Bodyguard", "I always knew she was nuts."

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2021 7:27 AM

I didn’t like her as Satine. Satine should be beautiful and mesmerizing. She isn’t. She looked too old for the part, too.

by Anonymousreply 19April 15, 2021 7:37 AM

Moulin Rouge was almost as bad as Starlight Express. They should shut the whole thing down.

by Anonymousreply 20April 15, 2021 7:56 AM

My question is - why Rudin and why now? The timing of it all. He's an asshole and the computer/hand incident is outrageous. But an HR person had to go to the hospital for a panic attack after he threw something? He slammed a napkin dispenser? Come on. I'm so curious about who started this whole ball rolling.

by Anonymousreply 21April 15, 2021 8:41 AM

Broadway has been shut down for more than a year. The entire arts and entertainment industry has been decimated. And this one has a job to which she can return and she's quitting?

So long, dearie. You should have said so long, so long ago.

by Anonymousreply 22April 15, 2021 8:58 AM

R22 she has money. This is nothing for her. But she's jeopardizing the jobs of hundreds of people, who do not have money, with this stunt. People who just want to go back to work after 18 months of tragedy and unemployment.

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2021 9:07 AM

I'll be quitting my job at the Food Circus in protest of Scott Rudin too. Solidarity forever!

by Anonymousreply 24April 15, 2021 10:54 AM

She’s either high or rapid cycling or both in this video.

by Anonymousreply 25April 15, 2021 11:33 AM

A perennial nutcase and difficult (not because of race but because of attitude and work ethic) employee is not a movement's best exemplar.

by Anonymousreply 26April 15, 2021 11:42 AM

Everyone knew about Rudin's behavior for years. If you make a stand, only when it's safe, it means nothing.

by Anonymousreply 27April 15, 2021 11:44 AM

Love her

by Anonymousreply 28April 15, 2021 11:45 AM

a lot of rudin defenders showed up above

by Anonymousreply 29April 15, 2021 11:53 AM

Ya’ll

by Anonymousreply 30April 15, 2021 11:57 AM

R13 Well tell us who they are then

by Anonymousreply 31April 15, 2021 12:01 PM

R22 does she come from money or just has it from working? What a disingenuous post if she actually has a lot of money. Stakes are very low in that scenario. No wonder she can make a manic hysterical video and quit her job.

by Anonymousreply 32April 15, 2021 12:08 PM

Meant r23 ^

by Anonymousreply 33April 15, 2021 12:08 PM

She missed loads of performances. She’s just making it official.

by Anonymousreply 34April 15, 2021 12:15 PM

She barely fit into that Satine corset pre-pandemic so I don't blame her for bowing out now.

by Anonymousreply 35April 15, 2021 12:16 PM

but what has she actually [italic]done[/italic] to help? I got nothin' from her rambling video except some self-congratulation.

by Anonymousreply 36April 15, 2021 12:28 PM

I can't for the life of me figure out how this "quit your show to protest Rudin or you're racist" narrative came about. First, he allegedly abuses people in his office. Not equity members. All the accounts are that he is degrading, loud, abusive and throws things. Where is the specific offense toward the BIPOC community?

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2021 9:13 PM

I was wondering the same thing r37, Broadway for Racial Justice is talking about this as a white supremacist issue and I'm genuinely confused. Yes Rudin is white (well, sort of porcine pink) but does that make this racial? Help me understand.

by Anonymousreply 38April 16, 2021 9:51 PM

If you thought her reasoning was confusing already, wait till you read this interview where she "explains" her thinking:

[quote]Responding to a question about whether she personally had stories related to Rudin, she did not say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ but — without going into detail — did say she’s been the victim of assault. "I think it’s probably important for context -- I understand what it’s like to be a survivor," she told FOX 5 NY. "I understand what it's like to be erased or have your trauma erased." ... But her frustrations are much bigger than Broadway’s response — or lack thereof — to the allegations of abuse against one man. She says Broadway is "absolutely" too capitalistic. "We are rushing to open [Broadway theatres] again because of profits," she said. "And when we look at profits then the people who have to make those profits for you become very vulnerable." And, when asked by FOX 5 NY's Chris Welch if she might ever return to the Great White Way, Olivo said, "Under the current model? A model that’s steeped in white supremacy? It’s just — no. I wish."

How many different things does she want to throw in the pot? The ever-increasing amount of reasons she left is just like the way a bad liar keeps adding to their original lie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 16, 2021 11:10 PM

Karen? Nobody cares!

by Anonymousreply 40April 17, 2021 1:10 AM

She was too fat for the role anyway.

by Anonymousreply 41April 17, 2021 5:05 AM

[quote]For years DLers have been posting about her coke habit and inability to consistently show up to performances.

Leave Liza alone.

by Anonymousreply 42April 17, 2021 5:09 AM

[quote]does she come from money

Fom Florida. Tampa Bay area I believe. No money.

by Anonymousreply 43April 17, 2021 5:10 AM

Fat, homewrecking cunt

by Anonymousreply 44April 17, 2021 5:15 AM

She stinks on ice. My question is, is La LuPone returning to Company?

by Anonymousreply 45April 17, 2021 5:21 AM

If Patti quits to do her sitcom they should get Glenn Close to replace her. Lamps will be thrown.

by Anonymousreply 46April 17, 2021 5:47 AM

Rob Roth:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 17, 2021 7:05 AM

that's hilarious

by Anonymousreply 48April 17, 2021 8:13 AM

Has Aaron commented?

by Anonymousreply 49April 17, 2021 8:16 AM

HE HAD BETTER COMMENT! IF HE DOESN'T MAKE A STATEMENT AND QUIT HIS SHOW OVER A PRODUCER WHO HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS SHOW, WHO ALLEGEDLY ABUSED HIS OWN OFFICE STAFF, THAT MEANS HE IS RACIST!

by Anonymousreply 50April 17, 2021 8:45 AM

This actors really are dumb as posts.

by Anonymousreply 51April 17, 2021 9:00 AM

Talk about living up to your name.

by Anonymousreply 52April 17, 2021 9:03 AM

R47 Funny if true, but seems highly unlikely

by Anonymousreply 53April 17, 2021 12:28 PM

It sounds like she wanted to quit and used this as an excuse

by Anonymousreply 54April 17, 2021 12:35 PM

the ease with which someone could post a claim that they "just happened" to be sitting next to someone who "just happened" to work in theater, and whose laptop screen they "just happened" to be able to see is frightening.

Which reminds me- On Thursday night, I just happened to be sitting next to Hugh Jackman on a flight and I just happened to be see his laptop screen as he was typing this email: "Dear Scott, Don't worry I'm not going anywhere, mate. I totally get it that sometimes assistants just need to be put in their place and besides, I'm still 100% looking forward to a year as Harold Hill and appreciate the hot blokes you've hired for the chorus, since as you know I'm really gay although I'm still grateful for you staying mum on those Palm Springs vacation snaps of Lucas, Colt and me that I texted you. (Great cock on Lucas, eh, mate? Man that thing hurt so good! Hard to explain to Deb why I was walking like that. Wink wink.) Anyway be brave my good man. G'day, HJ."

by Anonymousreply 55April 17, 2021 1:00 PM

She barely showed up anyway. Same deal with West Side Story. Her understudy did more shows than she did. She’s got some screws loose.

by Anonymousreply 56April 17, 2021 1:13 PM

R56 that’s called ‘integrity’

by Anonymousreply 57April 17, 2021 1:28 PM

R56 Dame Diana Rigg would not have stood for that type of behavior, though now she’s dead and people are getting away with murder, murder I tell you!

by Anonymousreply 58April 17, 2021 3:12 PM

The Vulture piece should be an object lesson in why alternating pronouns for someone just makes a big mess: “The Broadway star announced on Instagram today that she’s leaving their starring role as Satine.” Or is this just what happens when you let the interns trump the copyeditors?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 17, 2021 4:04 PM

I have no idea what she/they wants with a she/they preference. he/him/his defines three different uses. she & they are for the same thing so what the she/they fuck???

by Anonymousreply 60April 17, 2021 4:08 PM

Well, she got her way by drawing attention to the problem.

She may be nuts, but at least she did something about it. the rest of you seem to want him to be allowed to throw things at people indefinitely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 17, 2021 4:24 PM

She can go and fart on herself

by Anonymousreply 62April 17, 2021 4:36 PM

You tell her/them r62!!!

by Anonymousreply 63April 17, 2021 4:38 PM

R61 You really think it was Karen which caused him to step away? Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 64April 17, 2021 6:09 PM

I thought you were dead, Joan Rivers at r64.

by Anonymousreply 65April 17, 2021 6:57 PM

Being deinied Will Swenson's timid penis sent her over the edge years ago.

by Anonymousreply 66April 17, 2021 9:24 PM

R65 What line?

by Anonymousreply 67April 17, 2021 10:04 PM

She’s openly taking credit on Instagram for the Scott Rudin statement, and somehow Eden Espinoza is mixed up in this mess too?? Participating in their big transparency chat #broadwayfightsback.

This is so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 68April 17, 2021 10:49 PM

This guy succinctly explains why KO is an idiot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 17, 2021 11:25 PM

R69 I've noticed these attacks on Equity being reposted by a few different actors - including direct calls to harass named Equity leaders - all over the Rudin incident. Which is insane, given no actors have come forward with stories about Rudin, as far as I'm aware, and having the backing of a union is probably a good reason for that.

They also keep trying to make this a racial issue, which I don't understand at all.

by Anonymousreply 70April 17, 2021 11:30 PM

When Trump threw out paper towels in Puerto Rico, she complained that there wasn't fried chicken and plantains in hers.

The only Anita in history who danced worse than Janet Leigh as Rose in "Bye Bye Birdie".

Or was she just having a nightly seizure?

Talentless cunt.

by Anonymousreply 71April 18, 2021 5:16 AM

R71 ....she won an award for her dancing.

by Anonymousreply 72April 18, 2021 5:26 AM

which award?

by Anonymousreply 73April 18, 2021 5:30 AM

They earned their second Astaire Award nomination for Best Female Dancer for their performance in West Side Story, after previously winning the same award in 2008 for their performance in In the Heights

by Anonymousreply 74April 18, 2021 5:33 AM

I'm ready to take over the role

by Anonymousreply 75April 18, 2021 5:48 AM

She and Tveit never looked right together. She looks older and fatter.

Call Nicole.

by Anonymousreply 76April 18, 2021 5:51 AM

FOLLIES!

by Anonymousreply 77April 18, 2021 5:52 AM

She's just a Karen!

by Anonymousreply 78April 18, 2021 5:58 AM

R74, alternate those pronouns!

by Anonymousreply 79April 18, 2021 9:38 AM

I just saw on Wikipedia (I know) that she's on her third marriage. That's a lot by 45. Chica can't sustain anything. Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 80April 18, 2021 11:33 AM

Paging Laura Osnes!

by Anonymousreply 81April 18, 2021 11:46 AM

But was Scott Rudin involved in any way with Moulin Rouge? I don't believe he was. I don't get her point.

by Anonymousreply 82April 18, 2021 12:03 PM

She probably doesn't want to go back to work yet needs some attention.

by Anonymousreply 83April 18, 2021 12:06 PM

Their Wikipedia article is also awash with she and they pronouns. I really hate her now.

by Anonymousreply 84April 18, 2021 12:13 PM

If you read between the lines in the Washington Post story, Rudin just knows that he has to step aside but that it won't affect his bottom line at all. Win-win for him.

by Anonymousreply 85April 18, 2021 12:44 PM

I've come to realize that arbitrary pronoun preference does a huge disservice for actual trans people. It implies (especially to the right) that this is all a whim, including sexual preference. It contradicts any "born this way" pride and advocacy for trans and other LGBQT+ people

Sure one can say we can all choose to be identified however we want, but it reinforces that conversion therapy and other abuse and bigotry can be valid as well.

by Anonymousreply 86April 18, 2021 1:05 PM

And it reinforces gender norms.

by Anonymousreply 87April 18, 2021 1:29 PM

Give up a job in which I have to kiss Aaron Tveit? Yeah, right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88April 18, 2021 1:33 PM

Don't know Karen, but struggling to find anything in her outburst that resembles a point. Like many SJW grandstanders, they miss identifying the real problem and offer brain dead solutions like eliminating the fucking union that made it possible for her to SURVIVE.

The people who are energized by this shit are looking for places to hide rather than places to perform or practice their art. The entertainment world is due for a reckoning in terms of work place bullying, but these self serving incoherent tantrums just make it easier to dismiss performers as children.

It is almost impossible for me to believe that someone who has worked on Broadway or professionally in ANY capacity as an actor could seriously suggest dissolving the union and replacing it with a policy of (somehow) only permitting "nice" producers to work on Broadway.

Her best defense is insanity.

by Anonymousreply 89April 18, 2021 1:37 PM

I guess there’s no escaping being a Karen if you’re born with the name. “I want to see Scott Rudin’s manager NOW! Or I’m quitting!”

by Anonymousreply 90April 18, 2021 1:51 PM

How is Karen Olivo the villain in this story? The entire entertainment industry knows what Scott Rudin is like? Finally, he’s getting called on his behavior with consequences and you go after KO?

This place sucks.

by Anonymousreply 91April 18, 2021 1:58 PM

I'll feel sorry for her students who will leave university with a very false sense of what the real world is like and what they can expect.

by Anonymousreply 92April 18, 2021 2:14 PM

[quote]How is Karen Olivo the villain in this story

Karen Olivo isn't the villain in this story, she simply used the story to grand stand not very intelligently by endorsing a ridiculous and dangerous notion that Actors Equity be dissolved because we could solve any labor disputes by only working with "nice" producers.

Scott Rudin is THE villain in his own story. Karen is simply using her platform to advance half-baked ideas to get attention and create an exit from a job she no longer wanted or feared they no longer wanted her and in doing so, she is embarrassing the profession.

Just think it through

by Anonymousreply 93April 18, 2021 3:14 PM

R91, She's merely using the Scott Rudin exposé as a means to leave a Broadway show she has tired of.

by Anonymousreply 94April 18, 2021 5:19 PM

I suspect that her contract was being re-negotiated for the restart of Moulin Rouge and the producers did not meet her demands....and so she left, attempting to control the narrative.

Moulin Rouge will have one of the toughest roads to navigate as Broadway restarts as the insanely budgeted show really needs to fill seats, not only to capacity, but to sell many seats at premium pricing. And who's going to want to see that big piece of turd in the fall, anyway? Most NY theatergoers who wanted to see it already have, and the tourists won't be back in full force for at least another year. I see the show ultimately suffering a BIG financial loss.

by Anonymousreply 95April 18, 2021 6:37 PM

R91 She is not the villain, but her point is absurd. It looks lilke she wanted to quit and she is using Rudin as a excuse because the truth is Rudin has absolutely nothing to do with Moulin Rouge

by Anonymousreply 96April 18, 2021 7:13 PM

R95, But, I still get my Tony, right?

by Anonymousreply 97April 18, 2021 8:13 PM

Moulin Rouge should shutdown on broadway and reopen in Vegas where it belongs.

by Anonymousreply 98April 19, 2021 2:26 AM

I wasn't that impressed with her in Moulin Rouge. Maybe it was an off night for her, but she seemed a bit disconnected.

by Anonymousreply 99April 19, 2021 2:35 AM

Karen isn't the villain, but she held up her own integrity as a standard. Anyone who has worked with her or been even a casual observer of her career knows that she has no integrity and no work ethic, and her backstage behavior is awful. She is a complete mess, and only made this outburst to draw attention to herself. If the show doesn't reopen or closes shortly after attempting to reopen, a certain percentage of people will blame her for the closure, fair or not. I doubt she's considered that.

by Anonymousreply 100April 19, 2021 2:49 AM

R100 honestly they're better off with someone else in the role. She really was a weak point in a show that can't afford to have weak leads

by Anonymousreply 101April 19, 2021 2:50 AM

R101 Moulin Rouge! is a piece of shit and should not have been produced anywhere where artistic excellence is valued at all. The core problem with Broadway is that the shows themselves are garbage for the most part, engineered crap designed to pander to the lowest common denominator and separate you from as much cash as possible. Success now is judged only in terms of dollars and cents, FLOP or HIT. Until that changes, nothing will get better, Wokestapo protests or not.

by Anonymousreply 102April 19, 2021 2:57 AM

R102 yeah it kinda sucked. There was a certain element that the movie had that was completely missing. It played like a bargain basement, Vegas jukebox version of Cabaret.

And, for all the implications in the beginning that it was sexy, it really wasn't at all. The male lead was good, though.

In November of 2019, it was the one show I picked on my big yearly trip to NYC. I ought to have picked Hadestown or something.

Does anyone know if/when Company is opening back up? I suspect it will be La LuPone's final bow on Broadway. I need to be there for it.

by Anonymousreply 103April 19, 2021 3:13 AM

Actors really are pretty dumb and a large number of union members,both Equity as well as SAG-AFTRA do not understand that the basic functions of a labor union are wages and working conditions and not acting as SJW wish-fulfillment and niceness centers. If more actors understood the functions and responsibilities of being union members both unions would be stronger.

by Anonymousreply 104April 19, 2021 3:15 AM

I hated Moulin Rouge but I thought Karen gave the best performance in the show.

by Anonymousreply 105April 19, 2021 12:29 PM

Moulin Rouge and Karen have something in common- They think that being loud and attention-grabbing will camouflage their lack of anything to say.

by Anonymousreply 106April 19, 2021 12:44 PM

well now the email from r47 looks like it was true and director has stepped down from Beauty and the Beast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107April 20, 2021 1:46 AM

Does anyone know if Roth had any connection to Rudin? Any projects? Why on earth did he email him?

by Anonymousreply 108April 26, 2021 3:25 PM

The show IS a mess, as R160 wrote. And I thought Karen Olivo came across as quite hard and a bit trashy, neither of which Satine is supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 109April 26, 2021 3:49 PM

I worked briefly with and around Rob Roth a lifetime ago and he was a really great, sweet guy.

After "Beauty and the Beast" on Broadway he was jettisoned from Disney's "Aida" out of town when it was called "Elaborate Lives" and had this massive and problematic pyramid-sized set. It seems the show was a turkey anyway, and I'm not sure Rob has had a high-profile directing gig since. He shouldn't need to work if he invested his "Beauty" money well, but everyone wants to work, and going without a good job after tasting success is torture.

by Anonymousreply 110April 26, 2021 11:26 PM

R109, harder and trashier than Kidman in the film? That is tough!

by Anonymousreply 111April 26, 2021 11:39 PM

Yes, R 111, she was harder than Kidman. (At least I thought so)

by Anonymousreply 112April 27, 2021 1:30 AM

Who's the new Satine?

by Anonymousreply 113June 7, 2021 1:50 PM

Billy Porter.

by Anonymousreply 114June 7, 2021 1:52 PM

Like most theatregoers, I ve never seen her, even in shows she's supposedly in..

Is she really good enough to be worth the trouble she causes? Aren't there talented women who are right for these parts and will actually show up to play them?

What does she have that's special?

by Anonymousreply 115June 7, 2021 2:09 PM

Karen, we still have a role for you at the Waukesha Pottery Barn!

by Anonymousreply 116June 7, 2021 2:09 PM

r114 If only that were as far-fetched as you intended it to be.

by Anonymousreply 117June 7, 2021 2:10 PM

Another one whose wokeness and virtue signaling over-inflated her sense of self-importance and over-whelmed any value she might have as a performer. She just ain't worth the trouble. Few will even notice she's gone.

by Anonymousreply 118June 15, 2021 11:07 AM

except the people in the workplace who will rejoice

by Anonymousreply 119June 15, 2021 12:03 PM

I really hated the movie version of Moulin Rouge, it was a loud, flashy hodgepodge masquerading as...something. Everyone impressed with surface flash seems to love it.

by Anonymousreply 120June 15, 2021 3:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!