Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

FDA halts use of Johnson & Johnson Vaccine for Covid.

this is due to 6 women developed rare blot clots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 18, 2021 11:22 PM

They're pausing administering the vaccines while they research what may be causing the issue. This is standard procedure. To emphasize:

6 women got rare blood clots after getting the vaccine. 6 women out of 7 million J&J doses administered.

by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2021 2:21 PM

It's a recommendation to pause administering the vaccine, not a mandate.

by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2021 2:32 PM

It's women of childbearing age who are at risk. Oral contraceptives increase the risk of clots. Smoking increases the risk of clots.

It remains to be seen if the affected women were on OCPs and/or smokers.

by Anonymousreply 3April 13, 2021 2:35 PM

Dr. Angela Rasmussen, virologist:

For perspective, here are some numbers:

1 in 1,000,000: J&J vaccine

1 in 3,000: oral contraceptives

1 in 5: hospitalized COVID-19 patients

As someone who got the J&J vaccine 8 days ago, and who took oral contraceptives for 20 years, I’ll take these odds.

by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2021 2:36 PM

They are halting the use of the vaccine so that they can figure out how to avoid the multi-million dollar suits that may arise from their vaccine causing blood clots.

by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2021 2:53 PM

I wonder what the chances are that these women would have developed blood clots without having taken the vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 6April 13, 2021 3:07 PM

[quote]rare blot clots.

Oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 7April 13, 2021 3:17 PM

Now they (the company) have stopped the vaccine before starting vaccinating with it in the EU. We will be 2 months delayed because of this. There simply aren't enough doses of the mrna vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2021 3:56 PM

Is there a worry that more people will develop these clots in the future? 6 people out of 7 million doesn't seem like a reason to halt the J&J vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2021 4:29 PM

Not surprised, J&J is a disreputable company. Would never get myself injected with something from them after the baby powder fiasco.

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2021 4:48 PM

So stop giving it to fish then.

by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2021 4:51 PM

I don't think we're vaccinating fish atm

by Anonymousreply 12April 13, 2021 4:56 PM

My partner had a J&J appointment this morning but our state suspended them. Dammit!

by Anonymousreply 13April 13, 2021 5:02 PM

The risk-reward calculus of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, visualized:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 13, 2021 5:08 PM

R14 yeah it’s crazy

by Anonymousreply 15April 13, 2021 5:28 PM

R5 I thought they were granted immunity from lawsuits?

by Anonymousreply 16April 13, 2021 5:29 PM

R6. These women's risk of blot clots is partially dependent on smoking status and whether they are on hormonal birth control.

by Anonymousreply 17April 13, 2021 5:52 PM

Bloomberg Senior Health Editor Drew Armstrong:

FDA's Marks says one reason they're raising this is because the standard treatment for blood clots -- heparin -- can actually make THIS type of clot worse. So you need to pause + get the word out. Worst case would be people harmed b/c of erroneous treatment.

Marks: Says what to really look for is people showing up at an ER with a "very severe headache", shortness of breath and pain in legs or abdomen, that's a sign to ask about vaccine history and check platelets.

by Anonymousreply 18April 13, 2021 6:12 PM

Keep in mind, too, that they reference seven "reported" cases. There are possibly countless others who, mistaking the little-discussed blood clot symptoms for the more commonly anticipated "flu-like symptoms," are lying in bed at home without the benefit of follow-up medical care.

by Anonymousreply 19April 13, 2021 6:21 PM

💉 [italic] Nobody Knows Nothin'Bout The Corona Vaccine

by Anonymousreply 20April 13, 2021 9:11 PM

by Anonymousreply 21April 13, 2021 9:13 PM

We're all participating in a mass clinical trial.

We don't know what we're being injected with, we don't know all of the immediate side effects, we don't have a clue what long term effects might arise in the future.

We don't even know how effective this vaccine is or is not, and how long it's protection lasts. The CDC is actively monitoring cases of Covid-19 that occur in people shortly after they were vaccinated.

I received both doses of Pfizer. Other that a slight soreness at the injection site, I've not had any side effects. At least I think I haven't .......

by Anonymousreply 22April 13, 2021 9:42 PM

🙄 When I showed up for my vaccine appointment, I was told to come back after I gained at least ten pounds.

by Anonymousreply 23April 13, 2021 9:48 PM

R17 Those things can increase blood clots in general, but these are a different type of blood clots and now from a second manufacturer. Not too shocking, when side effects of vaccines often mimic the effects of the illness -- covid causes these same type of blood clots, so it makes sense that the vaccines carry some measure of risk when a vaccine is meant to imitate the virus to force antibodies.

Mammograms are supposed to be avoided after the vaccine as well because it can look like a cancer scare. Something about temp lumps as a side effect. A neighbor didn't know this and had to go through unnecessary, invasive cancer testing because she got one done shortly after getting the vaccine. I think that's kind of a weird side effect.

I'm all for modern science and looking at the numbers when it comes to vaccinations (pros vs cons), but it does no favor to the fight against fear to completely handwave away side effects as nothing, or to argue about the percentages. Better to be honest and demand they get it figured out. Agree with R19 too. There's plenty of people that don't go get checked for issues, or that go about life not knowing something is wrong. Blood clots can be sneaky.

They really should test people for antibodies too, to see if they are covered like having the vaccine done, counting that towards being covered for the year. So far, I've read that people don't seem to get covid for awhile after having it, just like the vaccine. You'd think that would be as good as vaccination, saving vaccine access for those that haven't had it, are more vulnerable, prone to side effects, or hesitant to have it done n

by Anonymousreply 24April 13, 2021 10:42 PM

What do they mean by a different kind of blood clot where heparin must be avoided? I have posted here before about developing long haul covid last year which caused micro clots and that heparin turned it around and gave me complete recovery. I wonder what that would mean if I get the J&J or similar, as I am still on heparin.

by Anonymousreply 25April 13, 2021 10:50 PM

Six fish don’t a disaster make!

by Anonymousreply 26April 13, 2021 11:01 PM

You sign away your right to sue if they kill you when you sign up for it.

by Anonymousreply 27April 14, 2021 10:58 AM

America has bannned other life saving drugs for less. Look at what the lawyers did to Celecoxib and Roundup.

by Anonymousreply 28April 14, 2021 11:27 AM

R28 Roundup is a weed killer.

by Anonymousreply 29April 14, 2021 11:36 AM

There babyish powders give the choochkie the diseases.

by Anonymousreply 30April 14, 2021 11:52 AM

One woman died. RIP. She was only 45

by Anonymousreply 31April 14, 2021 12:41 PM

Has it been confirmed that there is actually a causal link between the J&J vaccine and these clotting problems?

by Anonymousreply 32April 14, 2021 5:26 PM

R32 No. They're pausing vaccinations while they research to see if there is an actual link.

by Anonymousreply 33April 14, 2021 9:40 PM

cunts!

by Anonymousreply 34April 15, 2021 1:08 AM

I never trusted this J&J vaccine. CVS was giving it, too. Dodged that bullet.

by Anonymousreply 35April 15, 2021 1:10 AM

If you're a woman who is, let's say 35, then your chance to die from Covid is minimal. You have to compare it against this number as a baseline. When the chance someone dies from Covid is about the same order of magnitude as the chance of dying from a blood clot from the vaccine, I understand that people say they're rather taking their chances. For myself, I don't give a fuck anymore. I'd take any vaccine. Let's see when the German nanny state provides me with an opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 36April 15, 2021 1:38 AM

R36 I generally agree. Also these side effects - that’s about as sick I ever get (I don’t get “sicker” - maybe once or twice a decade, and even then it’s usually not from the flu). That’s why I never got the flu shot.

I’m only doing this so I can do whatever the f I want without being banned from anything - I also just have a profession that involves a lot of in person meetings, work events, on site shoots etc. But it sucks. We’re basically all guinea pigs for the greater good.

by Anonymousreply 37April 15, 2021 1:47 AM

Xennial, are you a woman?

by Anonymousreply 38April 15, 2021 4:45 AM

I am actually so angry at the women in my life right now, I actually wish they'd only use J&J on them all and wipe out a few of the shrewy ones. God willing MTG got it.

by Anonymousreply 39April 15, 2021 10:09 AM

R26

Your rationale reminds me of how homophobic people talked in the 80s at the onset of AIDS.

"Just a few f*gs who died."

by Anonymousreply 40April 16, 2021 3:47 PM

////////

by Anonymousreply 41April 18, 2021 5:32 PM

This is one area where I'm glad the public at large doesn't get any say in the matter (beyond making their own personal choice). 1/2 the country thinking it's proof that vaccines are the DEVIL'S JUICE and the other half thinking the pause is an ATTACK on SCIENCE.

by Anonymousreply 42April 18, 2021 5:37 PM

This is make it seem as though they're "doing something" - - shots should resume in near future.

by Anonymousreply 43April 18, 2021 5:37 PM

Good point R44.

by Anonymousreply 45April 18, 2021 5:43 PM

BINGO !!!!!!! r44 IS THE WINNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 46April 18, 2021 5:45 PM

Yeah r44 Pfizer has been a total nightmare for me. Every single side effect and then some.

by Anonymousreply 47April 18, 2021 8:57 PM

Did you die??!

by Anonymousreply 48April 18, 2021 11:07 PM

This is all sounding less and less worth it - these side effects are worse then any illness I ever get.

I’ll go through with the second only because I feel I have to...which is incredibly annoying yet I know that it has to be that way or we as a country will never outrace this damn thing. But just to be clear it’s annoying.

How protected does vax #1 leave you anyway?

by Anonymousreply 49April 18, 2021 11:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!