Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are your favorite spices for home cooking?

I've been cooking more over the last couple of months, so I can lose my quarantine 15. It's working. But I'm getting bored.

What do you like to use to liven up basics like chicken, fish (salmon or cod), roasted vegetables and homemade salad dressings?

The spice blends at Trader Joe's and the like tend to make everything taste too salty or like soup, I find. I've had better luck with simple stuff like white pepper, garlic powder and oregano.

by Anonymousreply 94June 24, 2021 2:46 PM

Old Bay for seafood and roasted vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2021 1:45 AM

Garam masala.

by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2021 1:49 AM

Look for "sept spices" in a specialty shop - Turkish or Middle Eastern. I swear but it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 13, 2021 1:50 AM

again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2021 1:50 AM

Smoked paprika is my new favorite.

Cumin powder is an old favorite.

by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2021 1:54 AM

Garlic powder + onion powder on everything

by Anonymousreply 6April 13, 2021 1:56 AM

[quote]Garlic powder + onion powder on everything

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 7April 13, 2021 1:57 AM

Dill. Add it to fish, potatoes, etc. It's fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2021 1:57 AM

Dill is an herb, not a spice. I love it, though, and agree it’s good on everything.

by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2021 2:00 AM

OP seems to be using "spices" as a catch-all for herbs and spices (referring to oregano, etc).

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2021 2:03 AM

As are Le Cordon Bleu diplômés here dumping garlic and onion "powders" on their haute cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2021 2:09 AM

Scare quotes around powders. Ha!

by Anonymousreply 12April 13, 2021 2:14 AM

Cumin,thyme, curry powder, cinamon

by Anonymousreply 13April 13, 2021 2:21 AM

I like Herbes de Provence with pasta, rice, tuna salad, broiled fish, etc. The blend contains thyme, rosemary, basil, marjoram, sage, fennel, and lavender.

by Anonymousreply 14April 13, 2021 2:22 AM

Sorry, I meant herbs and spices.

I'm clearly learning the most basic basics of cooking.

by Anonymousreply 15April 13, 2021 2:28 AM

Turmeric + bay leaves. Simple.

by Anonymousreply 16April 13, 2021 2:33 AM

I probably use mustard seeds, ginger, garlic, chiles and curry leaves the most.

but meh, prepackaged preserves, jams (garlic onion jam or maple bacon mustard are popular) , bases (variety of companies, they're kind of meh, but stocks/bases are in general. minor's is the most accessible.), fats (duck/goose is a go to for many), powders/dehydrated/freezedried/crystalized random crap will save you on effort, space, time - more affordable thru restuarant suppliers as consumer options tends to be overpriced camping/emergency ration shit.

bbq: you can get away with cattlemen's carolina tangy gold or mississippi honey bbq mixed with stubbs hot bbq sauce for most folk. . .

if dealing with white or black americans, adding brown sugar to everything is a must.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 13, 2021 2:35 AM

Garlic.... cloves, whole or smashed.... not powder or salt.

by Anonymousreply 18April 13, 2021 2:36 AM

oregano

by Anonymousreply 19April 13, 2021 2:37 AM

I like mixing in a little rosemary and thyme into a pan of noodles .It flavours it just nice.

by Anonymousreply 20April 13, 2021 2:39 AM

Spice Supreme brand Garlic & Pepper seasoning is my go to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 13, 2021 2:40 AM

MSG and ketchup, natch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 13, 2021 2:48 AM

I just made this very nice salad dressing.

Turmeric, fresh ginger, tabasco, salt, sugar, garlic, lemon juice, yogurt, salt, olive oil, almonds.

Mix in a blender and pour over a fresh mixed salad.

Very Nice!!!

by Anonymousreply 23April 13, 2021 4:22 AM

what about salt?

by Anonymousreply 24April 13, 2021 4:34 AM

I was binge watching Ina Garten this weekend and she uses a ton of salt. I've made a number of her recipes and I always use less salt than her recipe calls for.

by Anonymousreply 25April 13, 2021 5:02 AM

With these you should be covered for most all recipes:

Black Pepper

Cayenne Pepper

White Pepper

Red Pepper Flakes

Salt

Oregano

Basil

Thyme

Bay Leaves

Rosemary

Cinnamon

Caraway Seed

Tarragon

Celery Seed

Allspice

Saffron

Nutmeg

Ginger

Vanilla

Cloves

Curry

Coriander

Cumin

Garlic

by Anonymousreply 26April 13, 2021 12:49 PM

I've got a bottle of one-time use of Herbs de Provence I'll send anyone?

Yuck

by Anonymousreply 27April 13, 2021 12:59 PM

I like cumin but my party said it smelled like old people, whatever that means. Turmeric adds color, but I don’t think I tastes like anything. I like to use saffron, which I get from Trader Joe’s. The exact same little jar there costs $6 there and $13 at the supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 28April 13, 2021 2:04 PM

Too many people overlook the basics: salt & pepper. That usually gets you 75% of the way to a good dish. Garlic and onion will get you almost the rest of the way: sauté them if you can, otherwise powder. Helps to add as much heat as you can take: paprika, chiles, chili powder/flakes, etc. Everything else is nice, but those are the real necessities.

by Anonymousreply 29April 13, 2021 2:17 PM

Can I just use powder to make the entire dish?

by Anonymousreply 30April 13, 2021 2:21 PM

I've recently discovered Kinder's Buttery Steakhouse seasoning. I've been adding it to roasted vegetables and pasta -- it's delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 13, 2021 2:26 PM

cardamon

by Anonymousreply 32April 13, 2021 3:26 PM

A pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper and I grind coriander. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 33April 13, 2021 3:55 PM

I read that as species.

by Anonymousreply 34April 13, 2021 3:56 PM

I have recently discovered za'atar in the spice aisle after the Palestinian Table author discussed it with Terry Gross on Fresh Air.

by Anonymousreply 35April 13, 2021 3:59 PM

I like to cook with avian species.

by Anonymousreply 36April 13, 2021 4:01 PM

[quote]Can I just use powder to make the entire dish?

Which powder? Which dish?

As someone stated above, salt and pepper are the two most essential spices. I use them both in many things.

I like to make my own chili powder, using Penzeys' ground ancho, cumin, chipotle (hot and smoky), and garlic powder. I saute onions, add salt, sweat them; then I add the spice mixture, cook that for 30 seconds or a minute, then add the meat. Later I add bell peppers and finally, beans. I've purposely left this vague. I cook my chili for an hour, and may use ground turkey or chicken thigh, or else Black Angus beef. You may like more cumin than I do, so I'll leave spice amounts up to you.

I use Penzeys' dill and freshly ground pepper when I make scrambled eggs. I put them in the pan before the eggs rather than adding them to the egg mixture, as they stick to whatever container you mix your eggs in. I do add salt to the eggs. And cream.

by Anonymousreply 37April 13, 2021 4:10 PM

Good Evening America. I'm Chloe Sevigny, and I've recently discovered that I...love... schpisés

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 13, 2021 4:13 PM

If you like crushed red pepper, the kind you put on pizza, try gochugaru (Korean). It’s red pepper flakes without the seeds, more finely ground. Pretty inexpensive, not super hot. No, your food won’t end up tasting like kimchi, but you can make kimchi with it.

I was looking for something without seeds and that’s where I ended up.

by Anonymousreply 39April 13, 2021 5:05 PM

I like Mrs Dash. My blatino husbear likes Adobo.

by Anonymousreply 40April 13, 2021 5:32 PM

[quote] Too many people overlook the basics: salt & pepper. That usually gets you 75% of the way to a good dish. Garlic and onion will get you almost the rest of the way: sauté them if you can, otherwise powder. Helps to add as much heat as you can take: paprika, chiles, chili powder/flakes, etc. Everything else is nice, but those are the real necessities.

Re: the onions. I would say use just regular onions (not red, not sweet) and take the extra time to caramelize them. It takes longer than they say in cooking shows, but it's not very active time. Anything you make will taste better if you caramelize the onions.

by Anonymousreply 41April 13, 2021 6:21 PM

Never used jarred garlic:; use fresh or frozen. Same with ginger.

by Anonymousreply 42April 13, 2021 6:26 PM

Pre-peeled garlic is good, though. But fridge (yes, fridge) life is shorter than when you buy the whole bulb and peel yourself.

by Anonymousreply 43April 13, 2021 6:30 PM

Oregano

by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2021 8:13 PM

Fan of TJ frozen ginger cubes here, R42.

by Anonymousreply 45April 13, 2021 8:40 PM

It's all about fenugreek.

by Anonymousreply 46April 13, 2021 8:42 PM

Another tip: if you like the flavor of something, but don't like having bits of it in your food (e.g. garlic, onions, chili peppers), you can fry/sauté it and flavor the oil (or butter, etc.) with it and then just use the oil. My mom makes a batch of super hot oil from chili peppers that she then jars and drizzles as needed.

by Anonymousreply 47April 13, 2021 8:44 PM

You can freeze whole bulbs of fresh garlic and just break off as many cloves as you need, easier to peel when it's frozen also.

by Anonymousreply 48April 13, 2021 9:06 PM

Za’atar, herb de Provence, harissa

by Anonymousreply 49April 13, 2021 9:10 PM

R41 Microwave the onions first and they caramelize in about 2 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 50April 13, 2021 9:14 PM

Turmeric Latte is nice.

by Anonymousreply 51April 13, 2021 9:19 PM

I like salt AND pepper.

by Anonymousreply 52April 13, 2021 9:27 PM

Accent.

by Anonymousreply 53April 13, 2021 9:31 PM

Thank you r50! Seriously, I never even considered that. Someone told me once to add baking soda to speed up the process, but it changed the texture too much.

by Anonymousreply 54April 13, 2021 9:37 PM

R51, spa types call it Golden Milk--milk of some kind, tumeric, honey--hot or cold--supposed to be healthy.

by Anonymousreply 55April 13, 2021 9:44 PM

[quote] [R41] Microwave the onions first and they caramelize in about 2 minutes.

R50, sounds interesting. When you say microwave, do you mean slice/dice the onions first, then microwave (no oil yet)? Sorry to be dense here, but I want to understand specifically what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 56April 13, 2021 9:47 PM

Another for paprika. I like it in many things. I like all the traditional Italian spices as well.

by Anonymousreply 57April 13, 2021 9:53 PM

R56 Prepare the onions sliced or diced, add a few drops of oil or butter (optional) cover with plastic wrap (pierced) microwave about 5 minutes depending on amount/oven power. They will caramelize really quickly afterwards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 13, 2021 10:06 PM

Thanks, R58!

by Anonymousreply 59April 13, 2021 10:09 PM

Another caramelized onion trick is to pre-slice/dice and put in fridge for a day or two. The onions end up drying out a bit. (The time-consuming part of caramelization is steaming off all the moisture (water) in the onions, i.e., drying them out a bit.)

by Anonymousreply 60April 13, 2021 10:13 PM

Turmeric Latte became fashionable some years ago by questionable health gurus. But I think it's a traditional hot drink in India and other Asian countries.

I gave it a try last year, googled for a recipe online and I really liked it. Turmeric has anti inflammatory properties and really developes a nice flavor with hot milk, honey and cinnamon. Other spices like cloves, nutmeg, anisette, ginger and cardamon can be added to the spice mix as well.

by Anonymousreply 61April 13, 2021 10:16 PM

R60 that’s a great one!

I had to purchase a small jar of whole nutmeg around Thanksgiving, for pumpkin pie. The jar was about $10 and I was annoyed at the expense. Now I have used all but two of the nuts. I’ve grated fresh nutmeg into a surprising number of things! Into creamed spinach, ricotta filling for shells/cannelloni, coffee, and Dutch baby (which I make most mornings). It’s remarkable.

by Anonymousreply 62April 13, 2021 10:23 PM

What do you use to grate your nutmeg, R62? I have the finest Microplane grater. Would that work?

by Anonymousreply 63April 13, 2021 10:25 PM

R63, that’s what I use.

by Anonymousreply 64April 13, 2021 10:43 PM

Trader Joe's Aioli Garlic Mustard Sauce, I've used it on fish and chicken with a coating of bread crumbs then cooked it in the air fryer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 13, 2021 10:52 PM

I've been using a lot of Knorr Aromat lately. Initially, I just used it in a few Swiss recipes but now add it to many different soups, sauces, dressings, etc.

I got some oregano from Eataly (De Carlo organic oregano) that is vastly superior to any other dried oregano I've ever tried.

I'm also addicted to Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel seasoning. Love it on a hot dog with sauerkraut and sweet/hot mustard and on deviled eggs.

by Anonymousreply 66April 13, 2021 11:09 PM

That is really good, R65 (Trader Joe's mustard). It's more like a mustard than a mayo (aioli) and that is why I like it.

by Anonymousreply 67April 13, 2021 11:14 PM

Sweat of some dangling 32-year-old ballsack adds that perfect umami char for your burgers.

by Anonymousreply 68April 13, 2021 11:34 PM

As a Pagan with witchy tendencies, living in a home with negative dark individuals, I pack my food and drink and laundry and bathwater with protective herbs & spices as well as salt and vinegar and honey to ward myself. They go in my morning coffee, my breakfast and lunch, in my face cleanser, in my socks....

My favourites in terms of smell and taste are paprika, clove, cardamom, nigella seed, pepper (especially black and pink), celery salt, basil, rosemary, and sage (though, like cinnamon decent-quality ethical dried sage is hard to get, so you really have to grow it).

by Anonymousreply 69April 13, 2021 11:39 PM

Herbes de Provence for beef stew, cardamom for baking, Lawry's seasoned salt to flavor popcorn and frozen or canned foods

When I stir fry beef or chicken, I usually marinate the meat in soy sauce and sherry with minced garlic and grated ginger. The cooking odors will make your stomach grumble loudly. I sometimes use sesame oil when preparing the sauce to serve.

by Anonymousreply 70April 14, 2021 1:13 AM

Lately, to ease the boredom, I've been looking into Spice Blends. If you live in the USA you may have heard of Penzey's. They sell spices. I got a set of four blended spice mixes as a Christmas gift, and I finally got around to using them the other day. I put several chicken breasts in a covered roasting pan with olive oil and about 1 inch of water. I used Sea Salt, and ground black pepper, lots of fresh crushed garlic and a few sprigs of fresh oregano. I've done this before. It's simple and easy. But this time, I also used the Tuscan Spice Blend from Penzey's and it made all the difference. They do mail order and store pick up. Check them out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 14, 2021 1:29 AM

If I can make a small point (but an important one, I believe): purchase your herbs and spices where there's a high product turnover. That may mean purchasing on-line. Julia Child herself sometimes recommended 'Italian Seasoning', and that is one of the true high-turnover herb blends at my local supermarket. We've discussed paprika in some other thread, and so many people thought it had no flavor, but it's wonderful when it's reasonably fresh. It just becomes stale (and tasteless) pretty quickly.

Chives are very easy to grow, and the more you trim them, the quicker they grow. And they have pretty flowers, which are also edible. They're quite winter-hardy, too.

by Anonymousreply 72April 14, 2021 1:40 AM

I like fresh thyme. It's really good on roasted vegetables. I like citrus zest too, lemon for savory dishes and orange for sweet dishes. I don't use dried herbs, no matter what variety or brand, I think they taste like dust.

by Anonymousreply 73April 14, 2021 1:46 AM

No love for lemongrass??

by Anonymousreply 74April 14, 2021 2:02 AM

As a rule I only ever use fresh herbs (from the garden or greenhouse) and whole spices which I toast and grind.

I have a 10ft Italian Bay tree in my garden.

Honestly I'm not shittin.

by Anonymousreply 75April 14, 2021 2:22 AM

From Penzeys I love fox point seasoning, green goddess, and pizza seasoning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 14, 2021 2:33 AM

The spice house sells a similar seasoning to Penzeys Fox Point called Lake Shore Drive. I love it sprinkled on fish!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 14, 2021 2:35 AM

I like putting smoked paprika on my steak.

by Anonymousreply 78April 14, 2021 6:03 PM

Smoked paprika and cayenne pepper - it a toss up.

Both very versatile and add a kick to many recipes.

by Anonymousreply 79April 14, 2021 6:21 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 14, 2021 6:24 PM

Sorry for that post, I know we're talking about spices here.

by Anonymousreply 81April 14, 2021 6:25 PM

Is anyone else here having difficulty obtaining Rubbed Sage, or Poultry Seasoning, which contains sage? I typically use Adams, but cannot find any. Not even McCormick.

I had a small cache of both in my spice cabinet which I used up during Thanksgiving & Christmas 2020. Throughout the last quarter of 2020, I kept looking for them at grocery stores (Kroger, Walmart, WinCo) and kept not finding them. I shrugged it off, attributing the shortage to the pandemic.

It's nearly July, and the dearth of sage has remained. WTF is the deal? Is there a shortage? (Yes, I've asked Google, without fruitful results.)

(Reluctant to start a thread just for this question, I decided to put it on the relatively recent Spices thread.)

by Anonymousreply 82June 24, 2021 10:26 AM

^^ Forgot to sign my post.

by Anonymousreply 83June 24, 2021 10:28 AM

My first boyfriend's mom was very WASP and never used any spices. He told me that when he was growing up she taught him and his siblings that spices were for the uncivilized, uncouth races who had excitable temperaments and needed to mask the poor quality of their food with spices. She looked down on all cuisine from Southern Europe and wouldn't even consider eating anything from what she considered "filthy Third World foods".

Needless to say she was NOT happy when he started dating me. I wonder if she is still the same stuck up cunt she used to be. Most of what she cooked was just awful, despite all her pretensions.

by Anonymousreply 84June 24, 2021 11:24 AM

Spunk. I like spunk.

by Anonymousreply 85June 24, 2021 11:42 AM

On the flip side, I have a passionate hatred of basil. I find it overwhelming. Basil is my cilantro.

by Anonymousreply 86June 24, 2021 11:43 AM

Something I learned from Food Network is Mexican Oregano. It is different that the Oregano used in Italian food, etc. It in more floral. I use it in making any Mexican food.

by Anonymousreply 87June 24, 2021 11:55 AM

This is one of my favorites. You just have to use it sparingly or it gets hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88June 24, 2021 11:55 AM

Ever since I saw Kit Harington's interview where he complained about eating boiled chicken forever while filming GOT, I have used this herb salt he said got him through the experience. It is tasty, the only salt I use now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 24, 2021 12:04 PM

I mix oregano ,lemon juice and olive oil to marinate chicken in...it is delicious and simple

by Anonymousreply 90June 24, 2021 12:12 PM

Interesting R86, as I often use dried Thai basil leaves on place of (addition to) regular bay leaves.

by Anonymousreply 91June 24, 2021 12:23 PM

r82, Penzeys appears to have rubbed sage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 24, 2021 1:11 PM

Man, Penzy's has everything.

by Anonymousreply 93June 24, 2021 2:10 PM

I use middle eastern spices but usually end up using more cumin than most people do. Another spice I use that I don’t think many people use is white pepper….it creates a nice subtle warming effect to my soups without being overtly ‘hot’ like say… chili pepper….. It’s great for winter because it is warm,soothing.and pleasant….

by Anonymousreply 94June 24, 2021 2:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!