Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Vivian Vance - why is she so popular?

I don't want to look like her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 25, 2021 2:53 AM

Luff huh.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2021 8:30 PM

I've never heard of her outside of DL.

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2021 8:31 PM

She was married four times...and her husbands were gay.

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2021 8:58 PM

R3-Perhaps VV was a CARPET MUNCHER.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2021 9:08 PM

She only lives in infamy here on the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2021 9:10 PM

Some find her merely sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2021 9:20 PM

Have you a winning smile and a lovely bustline, OP?

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2021 9:25 PM

She was likable, relatable, pretty, and funny.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2021 9:27 PM

Ethel May Potter, we never forgot 'er.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2021 9:34 PM

And as Tim Gunn tells it in the linked video, Vivian had strong ties to the FBI under J. Edgar Hoover...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2021 9:40 PM

There's no one as exactly relatable as Ethel Mertz was on ILL. We've all been Vivian Vance at one time or another.

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2021 9:42 PM

I think we've all wanted to say what Ethel said to Lucy as she walking out of the dining room:

"You bet your sweet life that'll be all....."

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2021 9:49 PM

She was an advocate for the mentally ill at a time when mental illness was still very much stigmatized. Not sure if that's why she's popular on DL, but it's why I always liked her.

Here is a story from her bio:

In the 1960s, she appeared on Candid Camera. She worked the counter at some dept store and customers would react when they realized who was ringing them out.

One younger guy came up with a nightgown. Viv asked him who it was for, and he started to cry and said his wife had been admitted to a mental hospital. Viv told them to cut the cameras and asked, "Do you think she'd like a visit from someone who's also struggled with mental illness, to show her there is hope?" That incident prompted her to start visiting mental wards and talk with patients.

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2021 9:53 PM

R2 leads a sheltered life.

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2021 9:53 PM

Here are some excerpts of an article she wrote for McCall's in 1955, when she was very much a public figure. The article went into details about her nervous breakdown and recovery. I think it took guts to publish this in the 1950s:

[quote]I have never told this story before. I have not wished to. The reasons aren't difficult to understand. They have nothing to do with vanity, or endangering my career, or even the possibility of relapse should I open an old wound. There simply seemed no reason to tell the story. My case, I felt, was as special as a clinical history of beri-beri, as isolated from common problems as dengue fever, and therefore of no conceivable general interest, let alone therapeutic value or assistance.

[quote]But today I think I know differently. I have been informed by authorities whose opinions I not only respect but revere that there are millions like me - or millions, more properly, in the gray-night world from which I have been led. And if this is so, and it must be so, I know them and they are my friends. Not because we have met, but because of the sympathetic bond between us. I know that their hands perspire in strange, unidentified fears, that their stomachs contract in nausea if the boss fails to smile at them, that they walk alone in queer, numbing depression wherever they may be, and that always they are afraid.

[quote]But I know something else, something possibly that they do not. I know they can be healed, as I was healed. I know they can be taken from the shadows of what is only half-life and be restored to happiness. I know they can if they only will.

[quote]So, if you are afflicted as I was you can face it, by forcing a showdown, by meeting it eye to eye for what it is. But perhaps you, like myself, can not do it alone. And if, like Vivian Vance, you can't reach quite far enough to touch God's fingers, then why not reach for those fingers that are within your grasp? I cannot believe He would consider this sacrilege. Surely God must love His healers.

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2021 9:57 PM

[quote]She was an advocate for the mentally ill at a time when mental illness was still very much stigmatized. Not sure if that's why she's popular on DL

OH YES!

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2021 10:03 PM

Lol. I knew that was coming r16

by Anonymousreply 17April 12, 2021 10:03 PM

[quote]I don't want to look like her.

I don't think you could afford the operations, OP.

by Anonymousreply 18April 12, 2021 10:12 PM

She was one of the greatest TV comic actresses. I'd rate her only second to Lucy. Well, actually I'd make it a tie.

by Anonymousreply 19April 12, 2021 10:14 PM

Lucille Ball was not the number-one TV comic actress. Maybe in power but not talent.

by Anonymousreply 20April 12, 2021 11:00 PM

R20 According to you.

by Anonymousreply 21April 12, 2021 11:08 PM

This always makes me laugh...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 12, 2021 11:10 PM

A friend who was working with Vance on her autobiography said that she would absolutely NOT include anything that was negative about her.

The friend said Vivian's relationship was so toxic that they didn't speak once Viv left home. Her mother had always said that Viv would turn out to be a bad girl.....because only bad girls showed their legs. Viv said after she left home she hid her legs - under any man who would ask her.

The book was never published because Viv wouldn't approve anything that didn't put her in the best light. The manuscript was found in a closet in the San Francisco home of her last husband, John Dodds - found my his boyfriend. It was ghostwritten even more and published as "The Other Side of Ethel Mertz."

My friend was acknowledged - even though her name was spelled wrong.

by Anonymousreply 23April 12, 2021 11:14 PM

"Viv's relationship with her mother......"

by Anonymousreply 24April 12, 2021 11:15 PM

Correct, R21. And others share my opinion. I wouldn't put her in the top 5 but you do you.

by Anonymousreply 25April 12, 2021 11:15 PM

"...found BY his boyfriend...."

JHC, I give up.

by Anonymousreply 26April 12, 2021 11:16 PM

Frawley said that her pussy stunk!

by Anonymousreply 27April 12, 2021 11:21 PM

Because Viv was a good ol' broad.

by Anonymousreply 28April 13, 2021 12:24 AM

[quote]And others share my opinion.

Who exactly?

by Anonymousreply 29April 13, 2021 12:24 AM

[quote]She was an advocate for the mentally ill at a time when mental illness was still very much stigmatized. Not sure if that's why she's popular on DL, but it's why I always liked her.

I didn’t know this, this makes me like her even more.

by Anonymousreply 30April 13, 2021 12:26 AM

Vivian Vance was the reason Lucie Arnaz moved to NYC and encouraged her to focus on the theatre and do what she loved and hone her craft rather than get caught in endless rabbit hole of waiting for television to come calling.

by Anonymousreply 31April 13, 2021 12:27 AM

IBDB

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 13, 2021 12:29 AM

Lucie Arnaz married Dorian Lord’s ex.

by Anonymousreply 33April 13, 2021 12:29 AM

IMDB

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 13, 2021 12:30 AM

Ask Desi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 13, 2021 12:35 AM

She's so popular here because we're all sidekicks. It's about time we admitted it.

by Anonymousreply 36April 13, 2021 12:57 AM

OP has apparently had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 37April 13, 2021 1:03 AM

G is also an advocate for those with mental illness, and she’s not beloved.

by Anonymousreply 38April 13, 2021 1:07 AM

She could open a bottle of beer with her cooch.

by Anonymousreply 39April 13, 2021 1:08 AM

She was so friendly and relatable on ILL.

by Anonymousreply 40April 13, 2021 1:41 AM

Her delivery on the Friars' Roast of Lucille Ball alone made me love her, like when she said in a flat drawl:

[quote]I've known Lucille Ball – man and boy – for over twenty years.

by Anonymousreply 41April 13, 2021 1:49 AM

How can anyone not love Vivian?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 13, 2021 2:47 PM

Ricky: How much would one dress cost at Don Loper's? Lucy: Oh well for a little nothing special dress.....a hundred dollars.... Fred: (goes into a coughing fit)......a hundred dollars for one dress?

ETHEL: (in her perfect line-reading) He almost choked to death because a hundred dollars is all I've spent on clothes since we've been married!

by Anonymousreply 43April 13, 2021 9:20 PM

Like Follies and Vera's straws, Vivian is a shibboleth to gays of a certain age.

by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2021 10:07 PM

I think VV is a wonderful comic actress and a capable dramatic performer, plus she had a strong, versatile singing voice.

by Anonymousreply 45May 23, 2021 2:42 AM

OP = William Frawley

by Anonymousreply 46May 23, 2021 4:30 AM

She made good coffee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 23, 2021 5:11 AM

Because she stood her ground against Bitch Ball and lived to tell the tale. Until she died of unrelated causes.

by Anonymousreply 48May 23, 2021 5:28 AM

Vance and Frawley were the perfect casting as the support for Lucy and Desi on ILL. They brought a different kind of snarky energy that Gale Gordon and Bea Benederet would have brought if they had been available for those roles.

I don't think I Love Lucy would have become the lasting icon that it became if Viv and Bill Frawley hadn't been a part of it.

by Anonymousreply 49May 23, 2021 5:38 AM

[quote] Have you a winning smile and a lovely bustline, OP?

The only thing that smile is winning is the Kentucky Derby!

by Anonymousreply 50May 23, 2021 5:53 AM

Frawley used to fart around Vance constantly. And boy did his farts stink!

by Anonymousreply 51May 23, 2021 10:43 AM

You keep out of this, Whirlaway!

by Anonymousreply 52May 24, 2021 5:32 PM

Because Viv was a good ol' broad.

by Anonymousreply 53May 24, 2021 8:48 PM

She was gorgeous and a great comedic talent.

by Anonymousreply 54May 25, 2021 2:47 AM

I will proudly admit that I'm always the Ethel in my friendships. I'm not the star and I don't come up with the crazy schemes, but I'm more the willing to go along for the ride. That's why Ethel is one of my faves.

by Anonymousreply 55May 25, 2021 2:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!