Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tell me about Peter Lawford

Inspired by comments in the “Dean Martin Was so Slimy” thread, Peter Lawford sounds like a beautiful mess:

[quote]Wasn't there some story of Peter Lawford’s mother visiting LB Mayer's office when Peter was a teenager and warning LB that Peter might have homosexual tendencies? Rumors of Peter's bisexuality continued all his life. It was said he and Dominick Dunne were part of a gay surfers' cabal in Malibu in the 1950s.

[quote]Peter Lawford's fetish was S&M according to his last live in girlfriend. She said he had to be whipped and humiliated. His mother seemed to take sadist delight in humiliating him and I never read why she did that. He had no self esteem because of her. I think the bitch was demonic.

[quote]After Christopher was born, Peter complained to his wife Pat that the baby cried too much, slept irregularly and made the house and his clothes smell like shit. He convinced Pat to have their first born child live with a nanny in an apartment down the street. BTW, Christopher was born on the same day as Joey Luft and in the same hospital.

[quote]Peter Lawford would watch his own son fuck prostitutes. Yes. He actually did that.

[quote]Peter dated Dorothy Dandridge but had to keep it under wraps because of people's views on mixed marriages. Understandable. I read that he was heartbroken when she died. He was one of her pallbearers. I don't know why he went off the rails like he did. He really turned into a dirtball in his later years; his toupee in the 70s was so awful, looking like a mogwai on his head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290May 5, 2021 4:33 AM

He was part of the inner circle with both the Rat Pack and the Kennedy family, then suddenly became persona non grata with both. I was never sure why.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2021 6:51 PM

He only enjoyed oral sex and would force the woman performing on his to keep doing it until he ejaculated

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2021 6:52 PM

Peter Lawford never got over being held responsible by Frank Sinatra for JFK changing his plans to stay in Sinatra’s specially-built guest quarters at his house in Palm Springs for a weekend in March 1962 and switching to stay at Bing Crosby’s house in Ranch Mirage instead. Banishment from the Rat Pack swiftly followed.

Kennedy had to change plans because of rumors about Sinatra and the mafia.

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2021 7:01 PM

I think he was one of those "Hollywood" types who began to look increasingly ridiculous when society began to change so quickly in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2021 7:03 PM

R1-- Because Sinatra grey rocked him and blacklisted him in Hollywood. Sinatra blamed PL when JFK changed his mind about staying at Sinatra's home after he had campaigned for JFK . It had nothing to do with PL and there was nothing he could have done about it. Bobby Kennedy advised JFK to avoid Sinatra because of his mafia associates. It was very cruel and PL really went downhill from there.

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2021 7:29 PM

When Pat Kennedy Lawford left him - cleaning out everything from the house - including the (gasp!) wire hangers, he sent a truck loaded with water bottles to her new home with a note: “Dear Pat: You forgot to drain the swimming pool.”

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2021 7:38 PM

@R6- You beat me to it! I thought that was very funny. I truly think his evil bitch of a mother ruined him psychology. His last wife said his sexual fetish went beyond normal S&M. He wanted to be humiliated.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2021 7:41 PM

Wasn’t his last wife a teenager, too? I heard he died destitute and the Kennedys never helped him. I know one of his children and she’s a weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2021 7:44 PM

(R4) I recall seeing photos of him during the 60's wearing Nehru jacket, love beads just looking like an old man attempting to act young. Was there anyone in Hollywood more despicable than Sinatra.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2021 7:47 PM

R10 I’ve never warmed to Sinatra. And I’m half Italian! My old man used to go on about “the voice” but he just seemed like a nasty guy to me.

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2021 7:50 PM

He was very, very good in Advise & Consent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2021 7:53 PM

He was signed by MGM as a teenager in the 1940s with the hope of grooming into a serious leading man to replace the aging Robert Taylor, Robert Montgomery and James Stewart, but instead put him into light comedies and musicals as a sort of male ingenue even though he couldn't really dance or sing (though they never dubbed him). I guess they thought he didn't have the gravitas for serious drama. But he was the perfect eye candy on the arms of Judy Garland, June Allyson, Jane Powell and the teenaged Elizabeth Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2021 8:03 PM

He’s the only one who faced consequences for the JFK/Marilyn/RFK affairs.

Pat and Peter’s marriage fell apart after Marilyn’s death. Pat had become very close to Marilyn in the last year of her life and she blamed her death on him. RFK hated Peter; the only people in the family who liked him were Jack and Jackie.

After the divorce, Jackie went to Hawaii with her kids to see her (secret) boyfriend, John Warnecke. She found out Peter was going their with a couple of the Lawford kids at the same time and they agreed to share a house; this infuriated Pat.

At Sydney Lawford’s wedding in 1983, Jackie switched the place cards so Peter sat next to her, not Pat. This also pissed Pat off.

Pat’s. friends were instructed to never bring up Jackie in her presence as a result.

In the 80s, when he went to Betty Ford, he had to write a letter to make amends to someone he hurt and he picked JFK. Odd because at that point he had run off all of his friends and family, except for Liz Taylor, his fellow patient at Betty Ford. Peter sold the story of Liz’s admittance to Betty Ford to the Enquirer.

His stay at Betty Ford didn’t work; the only thing he learned while there was how to use a vacuum cleaner. When he returned home in 1984 he’d spend his days snorting coke and vacuuming. His wife called the Betty Ford Clinic and told them “I sent you Peter Lawford and you sent me back a fucking maid that gets high.”

He lived in WeHo in his last years-first at the Sierra Towers, before being evicted, then in a small apartment off Santa Monica and Crescent Heights.

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2021 8:03 PM

He had the best hair at Metro. And I'm not just talking about his head.

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2021 8:04 PM

R4 there could be a thread on that subject. I’d add Bobby Darren.

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2021 8:06 PM

[quote]He was very, very good in Advise & Consent.

But we all know who the breakout star of Advise and Consent was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2021 8:07 PM

Peter Lawford had a paralysis in his right hand and it was a claw.

Next time you see him watch how he always hides it or is carrying something over it - or sometimes even has a cigarette or pen in it......but he is THE CLAW!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 12, 2021 8:13 PM

Yes, Rose

by Anonymousreply 18April 12, 2021 8:13 PM

r17, though I've always heard that about Peter's hand and I know it's a fact, It's simply impossible to see the defect in films or photos, including the photo at your link of him with a water hose in which both of his hands are entirely exposed and look totally normal.

Or was the defect that he couldn't move his fingers out of a claw-like position and thus always looked more normal with his hand grasping something (in this case, the hose)?

by Anonymousreply 19April 12, 2021 8:19 PM

Before Armie Hammer . . . there was Peter Lawford.

by Anonymousreply 20April 12, 2021 8:20 PM

From Wiki:

"At the age of 14, Lawford severely injured his right arm in an accident when it went through a glass door.[11] Irreversible nerve damage severely compromised the use of his forearm and hand,[12] which he later learned to conceal.[13] The injury was judged to be serious enough to prevent his entry into the armed forces, which his parents had planned.[14] Instead, Lawford pursued a career as an actor, a decision that resulted in one of his aunts refusing to leave him her considerable fortune, as she had originally planned.[15]"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 12, 2021 8:23 PM

[quote]there could be a thread on that subject. I’d add Bobby Darren.

Bobby DARIN or James DARREN?

by Anonymousreply 22April 12, 2021 8:27 PM

[quote]His stay at Betty Ford didn’t work; the only thing he learned while there was how to use a vacuum cleaner. When he returned home in 1984 he’d spend his days snorting coke and vacuuming. His wife called the Betty Ford Clinic and told them “I sent you Peter Lawford and you sent me back a fucking maid that gets high.”

I’m laughing too hard at this.

by Anonymousreply 23April 12, 2021 8:39 PM

OPs photo is quite hot. Besides being so handsome, for the era he had a damn impressive body.

by Anonymousreply 24April 12, 2021 8:40 PM

[quote] for the era he had a damn impressive body

That was when muscles were long not bulky (unless you worked as a field hand).

by Anonymousreply 25April 12, 2021 8:44 PM

Peter is the source of the Nancy Reagan blowjob story. Supposedly she sucked his dick on a road trip from California to Arizona in the 40s.

by Anonymousreply 26April 12, 2021 8:46 PM

[quote] To him it was purely a physical release and due to his rejection from Lana Turner in his early days at MGM, it made it difficult for him to give himself emotionally again. Peter’s painful breakup with Lana Turner changed the way he treated women. After that he started to just drop women when he was finished with them, he could be heartless - it was Lana that tought him that.

Of course it was a woman’s fault that he treated women badly!

[quote] Peter didn’t like kids, and even stayed at a different home to Pat when she was pregnant with their first child Chris and remained an absentia father for the rest of his life

It was his mother’s fault!

[quote] Frank ostracised Peter in 1951 after he was seen out with Ava, however, the immediate factor behind their reconciliation in 1959 had little to do with either friendship or Peter’s impressive connections to the Democratic party.

[quote] It was his presidential connection that made him an honourary member of Frank Sinatra's Rat Pack,

[quote] The fact that Peter was in part recruited for his Kennedy connection

Ok...so it wasn’t Peter’s impressive connection to the Democratic Party that made him a member of the Rat Pack. It was Peter’s impressive connection to the head of the Democratic Party that made him an honorary member of the Rat Pack

[quote] Peter became JFK’s family connection to a darker side of the underworld businessman, prostitutes and showgirls ...... Peter helped JFK find many of the women he had affairs with many of those affairs operated out of his own home in Santa Monica, previously owned by Louis B.Mayer. Peter liked the home, but bought it mainly out of spite and to annoy Mayer. His neighbour, Peter Dye, called Peter’s Santa Monica beach house a whore house. Lawford is quoted as saying that he was Sinatra’s pimp and that Sinatra was JFK’s.

[quote] Peter was broken by the Kennedys, his spirit crushed and his morality twisted

Really? The guy who got showgirls & prostitutes for JFK, the guy who ran a whorehouse out of his place in Santa Monica, the guy who got poppers for his friends, the guy who said he was Sinatra’s pimp ..... *he* was broken & morally twisted by the “Kennedy’s”? Because JFK made Peter tell Frank Sinatra that JFK was going to stay at Bing Crosby’s house & not at Sinatra’s house? That broke Peter Lawford’s pimping, drugging, prostituting spirit?

[quote] Sinatra had already begun to set up against him and felt his physical safety threatened by the mobs fury against the Kennedys and the Rat Pack.

The mob was going to kill Peter Lawford because he was JFK’s brother in law? The mob was infuriated with the Rat Pack? Wtf?

[quote] . Peter spent the rest of his life haunted by the knowledge that a large portion of the blame for her death was his. He had bought Marilyn Monroe into the sexually charged, politically dangerous vortex of the Kennedys, a world she was not able to cope with emotionally.

Really? Marilyn Monroe had no drug use before she met the Kennedys? She was not “unable to cope emotionally” on all the films she almost got fired from for her erratic drugging & drinking? It was the Kennedys who made her drink & drug?

[quote] Pat and Peter divorced after Peter admitted having affairs.... He found out who his friends were and was extremely unpopular in Hollywood as he burned bridges while JFK was President by adopting superior attitude.

Gee, he had friends after acting superior, burning bridges & repeatedly cheating on his wife?

Why, this Peter Lawford character sounds like an absolute angel to me. It’s obvious he was tragically treated by every single human being he ever came into contact with since birth & that’s why he was a drunken, drug addled dick who took his son to the Playboy mansion so,Peter could watch him fuck whores.

by Anonymousreply 27April 12, 2021 8:56 PM

[quote] The Kennedys helped in so many ways to bring about his demise. The divorce from Pat saw Peter turn to booze, and after an appointment at the doctors he was told that if continued drinking, he would die. On the way home from the doctors, Peter called into a local bar and downed numerous martinis.

Lawford’s wife divorced him for fooling around with prostitutes and then the dr told him not to drink or he’d die & then he went to a bar & drank.

Those damned Kennedys!

by Anonymousreply 28April 12, 2021 9:01 PM

[quote] Within a few years of the divorce Peter had everything ripped from underneath him. His friendship with Sinatra and his sense of belonging to the Rat Pack was gone, Marilyn, close friend Judy Garland, JFK and RFK were all dead - everything he had was slipping away. If there was a glimmer of hope that Lawford could recapture the kind of power by association he had enjoyed when JFK was President, it had been buried with RFK.

So the assassination of the Kennedys ruined Peter Lawford because he was no longer connected to political power....i guess that’s how “the Kennedys helped in so many ways to bring about Peter’s demise.” By dying.

by Anonymousreply 29April 12, 2021 9:06 PM

[quote] He was hated by the Kennedys after attending RFK's funeral with Milton Ebbins (his personal manager and best friend) and a girl he’d picked up at a bar in a black mini skirt when the invitation was only for himself. The Kennedys felt that he disgraced RFK's memory and he was on the outer after that. He truly thought the Kennedys were good for him – as they reunited him with Sinatra, he was popular in Hollywood, his career was on track – but in reality they wrecked his life

They wrecked his life by holding a funeral for a murdered relative at which he showed up with a hooker. Those bastards!

by Anonymousreply 30April 12, 2021 9:08 PM

I just learned he was on an episode of Bewitched.

Aside from “Advise & Consent,” are any of his movies worth watching?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 12, 2021 9:12 PM

I read that he chartered a helicopter to escapee the Betty Ford clinic. He absolutely loathed Nancy Regan.

by Anonymousreply 32April 12, 2021 9:13 PM

He didn’t like women very much, R32. I’m betting First Ladies would be among the most hated of women in his book. Except for Vairst Leddy. He would’ve wanted to boink her. And Trump would’ve let him.

by Anonymousreply 33April 12, 2021 9:18 PM

A Peter Lawford thread and nobody has posted this yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 12, 2021 9:21 PM

R19 yes holding something in his right hand was a favorite way of covering the problem. If you watch his movies closely you'll see how he hides the hand behind him, in a pocket, or with a coat over it.....or sometimes holding a hat.

by Anonymousreply 35April 12, 2021 9:23 PM

Peter Lawford was dashing and debonair. He had quite a long career and continued to work in movies and television. He may not have been the top box office draw, but money is money, and he did what he could to earn a living. As a younger contemporary of the Rat Pack, Shirley MacLaine liked Peter. She was friends with them all.

My family were huge Sinatra fans so I always have trouble criticizing Frank. However, Sinatra treated Peter unfairly during the JFK/Palm Springs fiasco. RFK advised his brother not to stay at Sinatra's place due to alleged Mafia connections. It wasn't Lawford's fault even though Peter was married to a Kennedy. Sinatra should have understood.

by Anonymousreply 36April 12, 2021 9:28 PM

OP: Peter had a damn good almost twink-like body, very toned with great abs and defined muscles.

by Anonymousreply 37April 12, 2021 9:42 PM

R31 He was the most charming and attractive back in '47

All downhill åter that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 12, 2021 9:50 PM

[quote] except for Liz Taylor, his fellow patient at Betty Ford. Peter sold the story of Liz’s admittance to Betty Ford to the Enquirer.

This. If this is accurate, it's incredibly shitty of him. Shockingly so.

Chances are good that Liz's rehab might have become news anyway, but for an old MGM friend/colleague AND fellow addict to turn on her--what a dick move on Lawford's part.

by Anonymousreply 39April 12, 2021 10:08 PM

He slapped Bette Davis around good and proper in 1964's "Dead Ringers."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 12, 2021 10:19 PM

Christopher Lawford died a couple of years ago of a heart attack at a hot yoga class.

by Anonymousreply 41April 12, 2021 10:45 PM

I believe one of Peter & Pat's kids married one of Frank Gifford's kids (from his first marriage). I wonder if they're still together.....lots of pretty genes there.

by Anonymousreply 42April 12, 2021 11:36 PM

Peter starred in a late 1950s TV series of THE THIN MAN as Nick Charles with former MGM costar Phyllis Kirk as wife Nora. The action was contemporary and set in Los Angeles, where IIRC the Charleses lived a carefree life in a hip beach community (not unlike Peter himself).

I loved that show (it was actually my first introduction to the characters) but haven't watched it since I was a kid. It probably doesn't hold up very well now.

by Anonymousreply 43April 12, 2021 11:40 PM

It was Michael Kennedy, RFK and Ethel’s son, that married Frank Gifford’s daughter.

They broke up when she discovered he was fucking their teenaged babysitter. It went on for three years and started when she was 14.

At the same time, his brother Joe Kennedy II was running for Governor in Massachusetts while also trying to strong arm his ex wife into annulling their marriage.

JFK Jr called the two of them “poster boys for bad behavior” in George.

Shortly after that article hit the stands Michael Kennedy died when he skied headfirst into a tree.

At the funeral Kathie Lee Gifford (who was mired in a child labor scandal over her clothing line and dealing with the fallout of Frank’s Florida affair that was caught on camera by the Enquirer) tried to make the funeral all about her and how horrible the media is.

by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2021 12:06 AM

I liked Peter's son Christopher Lawford quite a lot. A good-looking guy, he was one of the few recovery people who made sense. He was a good actor and writer too and didn't crave the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 45April 13, 2021 12:08 AM

[quote]His wife called the Betty Ford Clinic and told them “I sent you Peter Lawford and you sent me back a fucking maid that gets high.”

Thanks for the laugh, R13!

by Anonymousreply 46April 13, 2021 12:26 AM

Gotta laugh at Sinatra/Lawford/JFK love triangle sob story. Sounds like nobody liked Lawford and when he stopped being useful with his one connection they dumped him like a rock.

by Anonymousreply 47April 13, 2021 12:27 AM

They told me at Betty Ford that Hoovering was good for me!

by Anonymousreply 48April 13, 2021 12:28 AM

Christopher Lawford was a worthless, spoiled brat.

by Anonymousreply 49April 13, 2021 12:32 AM

Wow! He is a terrible singer. A pathetic creature all around.

by Anonymousreply 50April 13, 2021 12:44 AM

I still don't know definitively: DID Peter Lawford know who killed Marilyn and keep it a secret? Was he really first on the scene after she died--and placed her body on her bed (from the floor, where she actually died)? There are so many versions of this story, and his role in it all....Does anyone really know?

by Anonymousreply 51April 13, 2021 12:45 AM

R50 = Bill Cosby at the Playboy mansion

by Anonymousreply 52April 13, 2021 12:49 AM

Peter was certainly unfortunate looking in his later years.

by Anonymousreply 53April 13, 2021 12:56 AM

[quote]Does anyone really know?

If it were true, Lawford would have sold the story. An addict will sell anything to get his hands on cash.

by Anonymousreply 54April 13, 2021 12:56 AM

There have been rumors of a diary that Marilyn supposedly kept detailing her affair with JFK. Marilyn called the White House everyday to speak to him and once Jackie answered the phone. So JFK sent Bobby to ' handle' her and make her understand that JFK was not going to see her anymore. It was too risky. So Bobby had an affair with Marilyn. I have no clue what if anything is true. When Marilyn died it took them hours to call the police. Her housekeeper washed two loads of laundry before calling. The rumor was Peter Lawford and Marilyn's doctor and housekeeper got rid of pill bottles, washed laundry, and looked for Marilyn's dairy because she had written all about her affairs with both Kennedys. The odd thing about Marilyn's autopsy was supposedly no trace of pills were found in her stomach. If one takes enough pills to OD traces of the capsules should be in the stomach contents. Thomas Noguchi was incompetent, imo. This is how the rumor of murder started circulating. Someone held MM down and gave her a fatal enema, and that is why no trace of pills were found in her stomach or intestines, plus the clean up. Sorry but I read this book 30 years ago. I read every book about MM's death that I could find, but I have forgotten so much of it. I believe Marilyn's doctor is responsible for her death. MM was abusing alcohol and he was giving her very dangerous, lethal medication such as Nembutal and Chloral hydrate. The clean up was the doctor and housekeeper covering their asses. He over medicated a suicidal patient who had a severe addiction and was a long time alcohol and pill abuser. She did call Peter and she said goodbye. Peter Lawford did nothing right away. He waited a long time before he tried to call her back. According to some he felt guilty about that for the rest of his life. (He was probably drunk when she called him)

by Anonymousreply 55April 13, 2021 1:13 AM

[quote]Aside from “Advise & Consent,” are any of his movies worth watching?

"Little Women" (the June Allyson/Liz Taylor version)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 13, 2021 1:26 AM

[quote]Aside from “Advise & Consent,” are any of his movies worth watching?

You bitches are slipping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 13, 2021 1:41 AM

Marilyn was hanging out with Sinatra, who was buddies with mobster Sam Giacana(sic). Sinatra was just trash. He thought hanging out with low life greasy thugs and murderers made him a big man. Sinatra supposedly set Marilyn up in Las Vegas by bringing SG into her room at FS casino where he took advantage of Marilyn's pitiful condition. Marilyn was drugged up with pills, drunk, out of it. Joe Dimaggio never forgave Sinatra for that and they never spoke again. JD barred Sinatra from attending Marilyn's funeral service. So rumors of the Kennedys murdering Marilyn to keep her quite about their affairs, a mob hit from Sam G. Take your pick. But I believe Marilyn accidentally overdosed. She was in a very sad state. Many who should have helped her did not. That is why Joe Dimaggio barred every one of them from her funeral. Her doctor should have been charged for her death and his license pulled. He was just taking advantage of her financially.

by Anonymousreply 58April 13, 2021 1:42 AM

In the 1980s biography "A Woman Named Jackie," someone described that Lawford's mother despised Kennedy so much, that during his Presidential election she hired an elephant and rode it through Manhattan campaigning for the Republicans and Nixon, or something such.

by Anonymousreply 59April 13, 2021 1:57 AM

No thanks, fossil!

by Anonymousreply 60April 13, 2021 1:58 AM

R59- I didn't know that, lol. His mother was psychotic.

by Anonymousreply 61April 13, 2021 2:33 AM

One hell of a pimp.

by Anonymousreply 62April 13, 2021 2:33 AM

Peter Lawford was a CONNOISSEUR of cock.

by Anonymousreply 63April 13, 2021 2:53 AM

His eyebrows were out of control.

They were endearing in the 40s but they grew into monstrous hairy caterpillars in the 60s.

Why wasn't he told?

by Anonymousreply 64April 13, 2021 3:14 AM

I remember him introducing Marilyn at JFK's birthday bash. It was so grotesque: after two mock introductions he finally introduces her as "the LATE Marilyn Monroe" and she comes mincing out in that dress that left little to the imagination and sings "Happy Birthday" in that Marilyn Monroe voice of hers. She was drunk; insecure as always, she'd swilled a lot of champagne to bolster her courage.

by Anonymousreply 65April 13, 2021 3:22 AM

That was the night she started her affair with JFK. Marilyn had to literally be sewn into that dress in order to wear it.

by Anonymousreply 66April 13, 2021 3:43 AM

Marilyn never really had "an affair" with JFK. They fucked at least once or twice, but that was it. It's debatable as to whether or not she had an affair with RFK. The theory is always that she and Bobby Kennedy had a hot, long affair and that she thought he would marry her, never mind the fact he was already married, Catholic, had seven children and was the Attorney General of the United States and the brother of the President. And that afraid she would blab that they had fucked her the Kennedys had her killed. Or maybe Sam Giancana did it to frame them. That's the kind of wild conspiracy theories you keep hearing about MM and the Kennedys. There's not much in the way of proof to back it up, but people love to believe shit like that.

by Anonymousreply 67April 13, 2021 3:57 AM

Yes, and there other wild rumors as well. The things I have posted about were from one book on Marilyn's death. There was a rumor that her house had been bugged. All kinds of ridiculous stories. Marilyn died from an overdose. Accidental or suicide no one will ever know. But it is ridiculous to think she was murdered. She destroyed herself, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 68April 13, 2021 4:10 AM

R38, I happened to catch "Good News" for the first time last year. Peter Lawford was a spectacularly handsome man in that movie. All I remember him from before seeing that movie was cheesy tv shows in the late 60's and 70's.

by Anonymousreply 69April 13, 2021 4:21 AM

Before he was permitted to marry Pat Kennedy old Joe had his PI confirm that Lawford was not a "Nancy Boy".

by Anonymousreply 70April 13, 2021 4:27 AM

Lawford had a helicopter land right off the grounds of Betty Ford to deliver his cocaine. He'd run out and meet it and pay for the coke with his AmEx.

If that's not sad enough, it's sadder that he conned his friend Liz Taylor into thinking he was "supporting her" at Betty Ford, when he was really there to sell stories about her (as referenced above). Liz was very serious at the time about getting sober; Betty Ford staff should've kicked Lawford out for the stunts he pulled there.

by Anonymousreply 71April 13, 2021 4:50 AM

In fairness to Peter, it could have been his wife who leaked that story about Liz . Pat Seaton Lawford seems like a real piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 72April 13, 2021 5:18 AM

Yes, R69. he was 'spectacularly' handsome in that film. But he was too slender and lightweight to star in a serious movie.

He wasn't as masculine as Maureen in this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 13, 2021 6:00 AM

R44 Those were HUGE scandals at the time. But it was just before social media, so they’ve faded, luckily for those involved.

by Anonymousreply 74April 13, 2021 12:12 PM

R65 it was horrible. She did look unbelievably sexy though. Jackie must have been livid pissed.

by Anonymousreply 75April 13, 2021 12:15 PM

GOOD NEWS even provides a lovely locker room scene for Peter Lawford where he's seen undressed after a college football game. And MGM allowed his beautiful hairy body to remain unshaved.

Lawford is one of the narrators of THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT (sadly, looking his early 1970s' faux-hippie silliest) and his presentation of some of the youthful musical moments of Elizabeth Taylor, June Allyson and Jane Powell are very sweet. And he's very self-deprecating about his own musical talents, or lack thereof.

by Anonymousreply 76April 13, 2021 1:43 PM

Coincidentally, yesterday on TCM I caught Lawford in the George Cukor film IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU, where he plays a suave NY ad exec opposite Judy Holliday. It's mid-1950s but he's still very hot and sexy, even in black & white. He had amazing hair and skin back then that just glowed on film.

Nevertheless, he's outshone by the very cute and youthful Jack Lemmon, who was making his film debut, as a rival and eventual winner, for Judy's love.

by Anonymousreply 77April 13, 2021 1:47 PM

Actually the tv series version of The Thin Man was set in New York City. They may have spent some time at a beach house in the second season, hard to remember.

It lasted for two seasons, and was rerun Monday-Friday at 4 p.m. in the afternoon on NBC for a year or so after that.

Phyllis Kirk had had polio as a child so she had some difficulty walking - Peter was not amused and refused to do kissing scenes with her because he didn't like her. They very rarely even embraced even though they were supposed to be a loving man and wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 13, 2021 1:54 PM

[quote]And he's very self-deprecating about his own musical talents, or lack thereof.

I'm astonished MGM didn't dub him in the musical number at R57: his voice is pretty bad. (It's not much of a song, either, but Judy delivers the charm and expertise.)

My favorite thing is the beige umbrella that appears to be about 8 feet wide.

by Anonymousreply 79April 13, 2021 2:12 PM

Yes, I'm surprised that Lawford's singing is never brought up in all those Hollywood stories of musical dubbing in films over the years. Surely, MGM didn't think his voice was so distinctive that it couldn't be matched by a better singer? He's charming and handsome enough in GOOD NEWS to almost get away with it.

Apparently, Comden & Green wrote the song "The French Lesson" in GOOD NEWS because they knew Peter was fluent in French. While his French is impeccable, his singing remains flat.

by Anonymousreply 80April 13, 2021 2:52 PM

Peter’s grandsons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 13, 2021 2:59 PM

I remember reading that the Hoover had the FBI bug Monroe's phone and/or house to get blackmail material on the Kennedy brothers, whom he despised.

I also read a book by someone who visited JFK while he was in a hotel in NYC (I think the Pierre) and they saw two men chloroform Monroe and take her lifeless body down to a car because JFK had no more use for her and she was getting on his nerves.

by Anonymousreply 82April 13, 2021 3:57 PM

Sargent Shriner was really the only monogamous man in that family, which is why the other Kennedy men didn’t care for him.

If JFK had lived I wonder if Jackie would have eventually divorced him, he really humiliated her with the affairs at times.

by Anonymousreply 83April 13, 2021 4:10 PM

Shriver not Shriner

by Anonymousreply 84April 13, 2021 4:17 PM

Christopher Lawford’s memoir should be required reading. It’s so dishy and he’s self deprecating. Peter Lawford was a complete mess and Pat a total drunk. Chris turned out OK in spite of that. I was sad to hear that he died.

by Anonymousreply 85April 13, 2021 5:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 13, 2021 7:54 PM

I don’t know who all of these people are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 13, 2021 7:56 PM

They’re your in laws Joan at r67. The picture was taken early in the morning. Had you already finished off your first pitcher of mai tais?

by Anonymousreply 88April 13, 2021 7:59 PM

How is his French, I don’t speak the language.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 13, 2021 8:01 PM

Hus comprehension is good, his fluency is average, his pronunciation is "English."

by Anonymousreply 90April 13, 2021 8:07 PM

Is that date right in that video at r89? If so, Pat was very pregnant at the time and gave birth in July to their last child , Robin.

Speaking of Robin-I’ve always been curious about her. She never married , and Christopher Lawford implies in his book that spent most of her adulthood taking care of their drunk mother.

by Anonymousreply 91April 13, 2021 8:08 PM

I read this somewhere but when he was on the wagon he discovered vacuuming, as he had never had to keep house for himself, or something, and he became a crazy vaccuumer, he loved it and was delighted by vacuuming. Never forgot that.

by Anonymousreply 92April 13, 2021 8:17 PM

r92 Try reading the thread. Or maybe that's where you read it.

by Anonymousreply 93April 13, 2021 8:18 PM

[quote]My favorite thing is the beige umbrella that appears to be about 8 feet wide.

In the scene they took it off the cart of a street vendor, that's why it's big.

by Anonymousreply 94April 13, 2021 8:19 PM

R93 Not only did I read it, I wrote it. Try fucking off.

by Anonymousreply 95April 13, 2021 8:20 PM

He was no Sammy Davis jr

by Anonymousreply 96April 13, 2021 8:23 PM

[quote]Martha Raye’s solo spot is a rendition of ‘Takin’ a Chance on Love’, which she sings and dances with some of the programme’s chorus boys. This is followed by Lawford’s scene in which he is attended to by his Butler and mini-skirted maids. The bare set is dressed with furniture while Lawford sings ‘It’s So Nice to Have a Man Around the House’. By this point in his career Lawford had become much more louche in style than he was during his MGM era – the influence of his association with the Rat Pack, no doubt. Lawford’s lady guest as announced by the butler is Judy Garland and in this sketch she seems every bit as resistant to Lawford’s charms as Hannah Brown was to Johnny in Easter Parade! Judy sings ‘I’m Old Fashioned’, but by the end of the song, Lawford has sneaked off to bed “feeling queasy” and is replaced by the butler.

I need to find video of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 13, 2021 8:33 PM

[quote]Is that date right in that video at [R89]?

Yes, I believe that is the date it was filmed.

by Anonymousreply 98April 13, 2021 8:34 PM

Found the episode of the Judy Garland show, will water this later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99April 13, 2021 8:35 PM

I’ll also watch this episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 13, 2021 8:37 PM

R91 she might be family.

Peter Lawford was really handsome and he seemed to be one for a good time. Did he have any tendencies toward our direction I do so wonder?

Peter Lawford was molested by one of his nannies. When he was an adult, he tried to play the molestation off as though it was a right of passage, but his nanny was obviously a sick piece of crap. Poor man. Between his mother and his nanny I'm really not surprised he took to drugs and drink. That man was as gorgeous as he was self destructive.

I spent a whole summer as a sickly teenager reading unauthorized Kennedy tomes and such for whatever reason. Obviously I should have been practicing my grammar for English, right? I did find a nice picture of the poor dear taking a bit of a shirtless jog on the beach for everyone, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101April 13, 2021 8:40 PM

@r81, It seems that Peter did one thing right, he knew how to make some good-looking boys

by Anonymousreply 102April 13, 2021 9:00 PM

r101, stinky linky.

And I wanted to see it!

by Anonymousreply 103April 13, 2021 9:05 PM

Pat Kennedy Lawford was a classically "handsome" woman so it's no surprise she'd make mega-handsome boys with Peter Lawford. It would be their girls whose looks might be questionable.

by Anonymousreply 104April 13, 2021 9:07 PM

I always thought that the funny thing about that iconic photo of the Kennedy clan at r87, is that virtually no one except old Joe and Rose are next to their spouses.

by Anonymousreply 105April 13, 2021 9:09 PM

r92 Please look into a good memory care facility.

by Anonymousreply 106April 13, 2021 9:19 PM

Cocaine! Paul Williams talks about this in relation to Lawford.

by Anonymousreply 107April 13, 2021 9:48 PM

[quote]I spent a whole summer as a sickly teenager reading unauthorized Kennedy tomes

They are called books, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 108April 13, 2021 10:43 PM

R108 I call them tombstones

by Anonymousreply 109April 13, 2021 11:02 PM

Mean, self-involved drunk who continuously punched above his weight who impregnated a Kennedy offspring and made out very well for all of it.

Apologies if said above as I'm a latecomer He was, allegedly, a recipient of an L.A. to AZ shared car ride with another actor. Nancy eagerly serviced both under view, per Kitty Kelly's Nancy bio.

by Anonymousreply 110April 13, 2021 11:15 PM

[quote]Did he have any tendencies toward our direction I do so wonder?

I thought Maureen O'Hara said in her autobiography (or somewhere) that Lawford and Richard Boone visited a male brothel during the filming of Kangaroo (1952), and liked young guys. But then R106 thinks I have dementia so I could be mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 111April 13, 2021 11:16 PM

You are not mistaken, R111, I found the part of the book you’re referring to:

[quote]The press sure gave it to them when they caught Lawford and Boone in a brothel full of beautiful boys. The press couldn't wait to break the story. I got a panicked late-night call from the publicity head of 20th Century-Fox Australia, Sydney Albright, saying, "Maureen, you've got to help us kill this story! The people and the press here love you, and if you don't, it will kill the picture."

[quote]The next morning I went to a secret meeting with the press that had been hastily arranged by the studio. I told them, "Listen, this is the first Hollywood movie ever to be made in Australia. It is very important. If you break this story, you're not just going to hurt Peter Lawford and Richard Boone, you're going to hurt me, the whole cast and crew, your own country and the people of Australia, because the studio will shut down this picture. Australia will suffer much more than those two will.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 13, 2021 11:34 PM

Here's a little more about Kangaroo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113April 13, 2021 11:45 PM

R112 The publicity described Maureen as 'spirited'; her co-stars described her as 'assertive'; her rivals described her as 'pushy'.

She certainly dominated over skinny Peter Lawford.

by Anonymousreply 114April 13, 2021 11:46 PM

Weird that super-Catholic Rose Kennedy was apparently fine with her daughter marrying Protestant Peter, but was aghast that her other daughter Kathleen was going to marry a Protestant man, until they both died in that plane crash.

by Anonymousreply 115April 13, 2021 11:47 PM

LOVE the Maureen O'Hara story! I wonder if it was actually a big brothel with both female and male prostitutes in different rooms? Could there be such a place?

Richard Boone was a HUGE TV star with Have Gun, Will Travel, his character Paladin one of the very first "anti-heroes" in serial TV. He always wore black, which was quite a change for a Western hero in film or TV in the late 1950s. IIRC he was a gun for hire and thus morally ambiguous. Totally forgotten today.

by Anonymousreply 116April 14, 2021 12:05 AM

[quote]LOVE the Maureen O'Hara story! I wonder if it was actually a big brothel with both female and male prostitutes in different rooms? Could there be such a place?

What's your point? She said it was a brothel of beautiful boys.

by Anonymousreply 117April 14, 2021 2:02 AM

I loved Palladin in Have Gun Will Travel! He was like a Travis Mcgee character on horseback, living the connoisseur life in San Francisco when he was not working.

Richard Boone was a great character actor. He's another who died too soon, of cancer.

by Anonymousreply 118April 14, 2021 2:06 AM

Cocaine, R107. Dominick Dunne talks about his and Lawford's adventures in the snow. Among them...

"Peter and Liz were lifelong friends. Dominick Dunne told me that in 1973, he, Liz, Peter, Roddy McDowall, the director George Cukor and others flew by helicopter from Los Angeles to Disneyland. Inside the park, they were able to escape crowds of people gawking at them by going inside rides like Pirates of the Caribbean. That's when it got interesting, Dunne recalled. "Elizabeth had a bottle of Jack Daniels, and Peter had something, and everybody got the bottles going. Then a bit of coke was going around and you'd hear sniffing. Everybody was just screaming with laughter. It was one of the maddest moments I ever saw in my life. And then the boat came out into the sunlight again. Everybody tried to compose themselves, and Liz waved regally to the crowds as they cheered her." James Spada, Lawford biographer.

by Anonymousreply 119April 14, 2021 2:35 AM

"Peter and Liz were lifelong friends."

Oh, then, he's definitely Gay.

by Anonymousreply 120April 14, 2021 2:48 AM

Richard Boone had big dick face.

Just saying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121April 14, 2021 1:39 PM

According to her book Maureen O'Hara saved about every situation that happened in Hollywood - where was she when Lincoln was shot.

by Anonymousreply 122April 14, 2021 2:05 PM

You've got to check out 1948's On An Island With You, an Esther Williams splash-fest.

In one Technicolor scene Ricardo Montalban and Peter Lawford wrestle underwater in skimpy swim trunks. Homo-eroticism at its very best - very intentional.

by Anonymousreply 123April 14, 2021 2:54 PM

From r113...

"I don't know if these two actually did partake in the gay brothel (or if they ever found entertainment on their own time), but I can say that throughout Kangaroo, Boone can scarcely keep his eyes or his hands off of Lawford. They have more chemistry together than the supposed lovebirds Lawford and O'Hara. It must be said, though, that O'Hara refers to Boone as a Broadway "hoofer" when, in fact, Boone was a dramatic actor in things like Medea and The Man and never a musical on The Great White Way. Both men were married for most of their lives, Boone three times and Lawford four, not that this means anything in the final analysis."

by Anonymousreply 124April 14, 2021 3:02 PM

R31 - I think Peter Lawford co-starred with Doris Day in a TV show in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 125April 14, 2021 3:11 PM

"I think Peter Lawford co-starred with Doris Day in a TV show in the 1970s."

I think she played one of her boyfriends on "The Doris Day Show." I wonder why he was picked for the role; he had that awful mop of gray hair and those bushy grey eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 126April 14, 2021 6:12 PM

[quote] bushy grey eyebrows.

They were ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 127April 14, 2021 9:49 PM

Pat Lawford placed second in the “worst Kennedy mother” contest, after Ethel.

When Robin Lawford was a few weeks old she was admitted to the hospital for emergency surgery (I think it was related to her breathing). Instead of being at their newborn daughter’s bedside , Pat and Peter flew to the South of France, where they were vacationing with friends on a yacht.

In 1970, weary of all the tragedies that had befallen the family over the past few years, Pat went to Paris for an extended period with her daughters and left Chris to his own devices.

I think Pat had some issues with mental health and confidence in addition to alcoholism. In The Kennedy Woman (which despite the terrible writing style of the author is a great source on the family history), it’s noted that Pat wouldn’t visit her mother at the Hyannis Port house for a period of time because she didn’t get along with Rose’s cook.

by Anonymousreply 128April 14, 2021 10:38 PM

None of those Kennedy broads was a bargain. Not one.

by Anonymousreply 129April 14, 2021 11:03 PM

MM had a history of taking too much medication, she was an addict, she'd wake up and take more. She'd been rescued from a similar overdose a few weeks before at the Cal Neva Lodge in Lake Tahoe. She was in fine spirits that night when talking to Joe DiMaggio Jr. She made a few more calls sounding increasingly slurry. If Lawford can be believed (?) she called him to say goodbye, but he just called her attorney who called her agent who called Mrs. Murray (psychiatric nurse) who said she was fine...

Those grandkids are gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 130April 14, 2021 11:22 PM

[Quote]it’s noted that Pat wouldn’t visit her mother at the Hyannis Port house for a period of time because she didn’t get along with Rose’s cook.

Blaming the cook is such a load of shit. Rose was the most fecund and least interested in a Catholic swarm of children. She regularly took off on European shopping trips after she successfully whelped and did her Catholic duty. Other wifely or motherly duties didn't include the nursery or her children's well-being or development.

Rose Kennedy was a truly awful person like her husband.

by Anonymousreply 131April 14, 2021 11:31 PM

Didn't Lawford murder Marilyn on Bobby's instructions? A couple of weeks before her death, she'd called the White House and managed to get Jackie on the phone. Marilyn told Jackie that she was screwing her husband, he was going to marry her and she'd be First Lady. After that, Bobby decided Marilyn was too dangerous. The media refused to discuss all Jack's other mistressses but Marilyn was too famous for them to ignore. She could have brought the whole Kennedy family down.

Bobby Kennedy, by the way, only turned into a paragon of virtue after JFK's death. Before that he was Jack and his father's enforcer - totally devoid of ethics where his family's quest for power was concerned.

by Anonymousreply 132April 14, 2021 11:41 PM

I think Christopher Lawford's biography said that his father watched him have sex with a girl or maybe they shared a woman in the same bed. I know it was something like this.

by Anonymousreply 133April 14, 2021 11:53 PM

Eunice Kennedy Shriver was a wonderful person.

by Anonymousreply 134April 14, 2021 11:55 PM

What about infamous Kennedy mistress Judith Exner? Was she mixed up with Peter, too? Wasn't she once Sinatra's mistress?

by Anonymousreply 135April 15, 2021 12:13 AM

This 2010 thread has many more tidbits, including the nipple torture rumors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136April 15, 2021 1:19 AM

The Shrivers were the smartest and classiest members of the Kennedy clan. Sarge was interested in running for President himself and the Kennedys went berserk: IT IS TEDDY'S TURN!!

by Anonymousreply 137April 15, 2021 1:20 AM

R132 When it comes to history you have an Enquiring mind.

by Anonymousreply 138April 15, 2021 1:26 AM

Peter Lawford is like the male version of Barbara Payton. Complete train wrecks. I really enjoy these threads more than maybe I should, my life is so square, baby.

by Anonymousreply 139April 15, 2021 2:02 AM

If you've never seed Dead Ringer it's a craptastic hoot. Bette Davis (wearing the ugliest wig that has ever been captured on film) plays twins, one good and one bad. The bad one kills the good one and assumes her identity, and Peter Lawford is the romantic interest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140April 15, 2021 2:06 AM

Judging by his hair in r140's link, I'd assume Peter died with a full head of his own.

by Anonymousreply 141April 15, 2021 2:36 AM

The woman in the boating pic with Pete is wearing high heeled shoes, also known as pumps, while on board a boat! A shocking incident in marine behavior.

by Anonymousreply 142April 15, 2021 2:40 AM

God, the booze and cigs really did a number on Bette's looks. She was only in her mid-fifties there and she looked seventy.

by Anonymousreply 143April 15, 2021 2:44 AM

Marilyn didn’t like him. She wrote in her diaries that he gave her the creeps. She said she felt as if he wanted to be a woman. More specifically, she thought he wanted to be her.

by Anonymousreply 144April 15, 2021 2:45 AM

There is zero evidence MM ever had an affair with RFK. Those stories came from known liars like Robert Slatzer and Jeannie Carmen. The same with the alleged missing diary that supposedly had political secrets in it. The only known affair she had was with JFK, and the seriousness of that exchange is also debatable.

by Anonymousreply 145April 15, 2021 2:50 AM

She didn't have an affair with JFK, they apparently just hooked up a couple of times.

by Anonymousreply 146April 15, 2021 2:59 AM

^ Apparently most of JFK's "affairs" were just occasional hook-ups. There's an old rumor that the only time Angie Dickinson relented and spoke of her "affair" with JFK she said, "What do you want me to say? It was the best 20 seconds of my life, ok?"

So much for the Kennedy mystique, Madonna practically confirms the selfish Kennedy technique when describing sex with JFK Jr. she said, "It was like having sex with an 11 year old" and I believe her, like father, like son

by Anonymousreply 147April 15, 2021 3:12 AM

The Kennedy men were notorious for being "stick it in, pump, squirt, pull it out" types. They were not into foreplay. The sex they indulged in had no intimacy at all. They used women like kleenex. They had no respect for women at all, unless it was maybe their mother or their long suffering wives.

by Anonymousreply 148April 15, 2021 3:18 AM

^ Ha! There isn't a woman on earth who could compete with MY fabulous JFK blow jobs...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149April 15, 2021 3:19 AM

It was a love affair in MM's mind. "There is danger for him who snatches a delusion from a woman."

by Anonymousreply 150April 15, 2021 3:26 AM

r148 I think that was pretty typical of men from that era.

by Anonymousreply 151April 15, 2021 3:32 AM

Truman Capote said it best about the sexual conquests re the Kennedy men - "They were like dogs going around pissing on fire hydrants. If you lined each one of them (dicks) end to end, you still wouldn't have a decent cock. Teddy? Forget it!"

by Anonymousreply 152April 15, 2021 11:07 AM

" If you lined each one of them (dicks) end to end, you still wouldn't have a decent cock. "

I see that the old Irish curse was alive and well within the Kennedy clan

by Anonymousreply 153April 15, 2021 11:18 AM

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 154April 15, 2021 11:21 AM

Simple. Peter Lawford preferred cock in an age when you couldn’t be openly gay. Like so many other famous men at the time, and to a point, even now. To be openly gay then meant the end of your career. Period. This is why they got married and had so many failed marriages. Settling down with one person, female, and having kids doesn’t make the desire for cock evaporate. R[65]. I don’t fully agree. At the time of Marilyn singing happy birthday she wasn’t that much of a mess. She’d actually started to get her shit together. The studio had re hired her for ‘somethings got to give’. With a substantial raise. They realised they couldn’t film it without her. Look at the last remaining bits of film. She looked fucking sensational. She still had drug and drink problems but DiMaggio was back in her life. She had knocked Liz Taylor off the cover of every magazine in the world. Things were looking up. She was in control. I think her death was a tragic accident. She knew she’d done something stupid when she phoned Lawford and he thought same old shit, she was just crying wolf. I wondered if he would come clean at the end of his life and admit he could have acted sooner or had indeed performed a clean up act before the police arrived to stop a scandal.

by Anonymousreply 155April 15, 2021 12:28 PM

I finally read the 2010 Peter Lawford thread, here are some highlights:

[quote]Blind item from "Crazy Days and Nights"

[quote]Four people involved in this. #1 and #2 were actors who made their fame in films, but both got their only real serious award nomination for television. Any movie lover will know who #2 is. #1, maybe not. #3 was an actress but gave it up when she married #1. Eventually she married #2 as well although the marriage to #2 was as a cover for #2 being gay. The twist to this story involves #4. #4 was an actor who also married into a really wild family. Everyone will know #4. #4 also tended to go both ways as well which must have made it fun when prior to #4's marriage, #1,#2,#3 and #4 used to periodically share one bed.

[quote]#1 - Kennan Wynn, #2 - Van Johnson, #3 - Evie Wynn, #4 - Peter Lawford

by Anonymousreply 156April 15, 2021 2:42 PM

More from 2010:

[quote]Actor Peter Lawford was married to one of the Kennedy sisters but before the marriage, he only had eyes for Dorothy Dandridge, some say, she was the true love of his life. One evening, they almost went public with their relationship up until the last minute when they decided-it would be a bad career move for both of them. They arrived at a Cole Porter party separately.

[quote]When Dorothy walked in, every man in the room (including Richard Burton and William Holden) couldn’t keep their eyes off her. Peter Lawford found her irresistible. Lawford was far more taken with her than she was with him. He even told her, he loved her. At Dandridge’s funeral, Lawford was so devastated by grief; he was unable to deliver the eulogy.

by Anonymousreply 157April 15, 2021 2:42 PM

[quote]Pat made the sign of the cross each time before she engaged in intercourse with Peter Lawford.

[quote]Peter Lawford brought a prostitute as his date to RFK’s funeral.

[quote]Hugh Hefner, feeling sorry for Peter, let him stay for free in a small guest cottage on the grounds of Hef’s Playboy Mansion during the 1970s. While visiting Hef with a "female companion" at the height of his Jello Puddin' Pop fame, Bill Cosby described Peter as "pathetic" within earshot of Christopher Lawford.

by Anonymousreply 158April 15, 2021 2:43 PM

[quote]During sex he liked to get his nipples bitten until they bled.

[quote]In his later years, Peter Lawford could not achieve orgasm without getting his nipples lacerated with razor blades.

[quote]In 1961 Peter Lawford was a frequent and accomplished guest on the game show PASSWORD, Lawford was the all-time champion at the "lightning round", prompting 10 out of 10 correct guesses in only 16 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 159April 15, 2021 2:44 PM

[quote]I remember a story told on the Bio channel's special on the Rat Pack. Apparently, by the time he was a teenager, Peter Lawford's parents had lost most of their money, and had moved to Florida, where he had to get a job. He worked at a country club in Palm Beach.

[quote]One day, a club members saw him eating lunch with a group of black co-workers and angrily complained to the manager that it looked bad for the club for a white boy to be seen hanging out with "coloreds" and Lawford was quickly reprimended.

[quote]The club member was his future father in law, Joseph P. Kennedy.

by Anonymousreply 160April 15, 2021 2:45 PM

[quote]I don't think Pat was a lesbian. I think Eunice was- Ethel too.

[quote]Like R52 said, Pat was a party girl and was drawn to Hollywood. I think her marriage to Lawford and her subsequent life in California were attempts to find her own identity outside of the Kennedy family.

[quote]She was thirty when she married and no doubt was feeling a lot of pressure for being unmarried at a time when women were meant to marry and have babies.

[quote]Joe hated Lawford, a Protestant actor, and sent Pat on a trip around the world to get him out of her system. It didn’t work.

by Anonymousreply 161April 15, 2021 2:45 PM

[quote]Lady May Lawford "had once informed Louis B. Mayer that she should be placed on his MGM payroll to 'supervise' her 'homosexual' son."

[quote]”1960," by David Pietrusza, p. 243.

by Anonymousreply 162April 15, 2021 2:46 PM

[quote]He was such a great friend to Elizabeth that he introduced her to his druggie buddie the used car salesman Henry Winberg or something like that. They were all zoned out on pills and alcohol most of the time. Then Elizabeth decided to get "engaged" to Henry. It was a complete screwed up mess. Peter was trouble.

[quote]Didn't he introduce Elizabeth to the used car salesman because she was fucking his son and wanted her to move along?

by Anonymousreply 163April 15, 2021 2:46 PM

[quote]I'm sorry but all the gossip I ever heard about him was that he was deeply in the closet. Peter was gay. He used to go down to the beach and pick up guys when he was a young man and a very hot commodity with the studio. He had assignations in the middle of the afternoon with lots of young attractive beach bums.

[quote]Were Peter and Dominick Dunne lovers in the late 50s/early 60s? Is that mentioned in any of the books? I know they were Malibu neighbors back then. And their kids were about the same ages.

[quote]He posed nude for VIVA magazine before he died. Anyone got the pics?

by Anonymousreply 164April 15, 2021 2:48 PM

Why did Marilyn Monroe believe Peter wanted to be a woman? Was there any truth to this? Did he cross-dress or anything like that? Or was it just homophobia on Marilyn's part?

by Anonymousreply 165April 16, 2021 8:56 PM

No dear, it was my other co-star Jeff Chandler who loved polka dots and crinolines.

by Anonymousreply 166April 17, 2021 12:49 AM

When Scorsese was trying to get a Rat Pack movie off the ground 30 years ago, he wanted Hugh Grant for Peter Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 167April 19, 2021 1:38 PM

Hugh Grant could definitely play an elder, seedy, post-hawtness Peter Lawford now. Just needs the right wig.

by Anonymousreply 168April 19, 2021 1:39 PM

When I was a little kid he used to peddle Western Union Candygrams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169April 19, 2021 1:53 PM

Who do we cast opposite Hugh Grant? As Liz Taylor in rehab? As Jackie? Mayim Bialik as Patricia Seaton!

by Anonymousreply 170April 19, 2021 7:39 PM

I rather pity him.

by Anonymousreply 171April 19, 2021 7:53 PM

I kinda feel sorry for him.

by Anonymousreply 172April 19, 2021 8:01 PM

[quote]he wanted Hugh Grant for Peter Lawson.

They're making a movie about Helen's illegitimate son?

by Anonymousreply 173April 19, 2021 9:27 PM

Hugh looks nothing like Peter. The nose is all wrong, too pasty...

by Anonymousreply 174April 20, 2021 5:44 PM

How could JFK supposedly fuck so much Grade-A pussy with a bad back? I can barely get out bed on days when my back pain is active.

by Anonymousreply 175April 20, 2021 6:49 PM

Usually, ladies on top, R175. They did most of the work.

He liked to have it on with Fiddle and Faddle (two WH secretaries who couldn't take dictation but loved to take dick) in the White House pool.

Aquatherapy, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 176April 20, 2021 6:53 PM

I have never found JFK attractive.

by Anonymousreply 177April 21, 2021 1:15 AM

I agree R177. He had fat cheeks like Colton.

He was bad influence on America— the voters started to expect presidents to look and behave like movie stars instead of crusty old politicians .

by Anonymousreply 178April 21, 2021 1:23 AM

I always felt JFK's sex life was greatly exaggerated. He had a bad back, he was ill and heavily medicated and I doubt he had much free time during his Presidency especially with so much going on. I just doubt he slept with hundreds of women. Like a lot of men, he just embellished the numbers.

by Anonymousreply 179April 21, 2021 2:05 AM

Not really, R179

Dave Powers was his pimp. Marlene Dietrich was one of his many, many amours.

He was getting laid on a yacht in the Mediterranean when Jackie first miscarried in 1956 and wouldn't come home until has father forced him.

Jackie found another woman's bra in a pillowcase in their bedroom.

His father was a whoremaster and he learned it all from him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180April 21, 2021 2:12 AM

JFK = Sexpig.

It's time for him to be cancelled!

by Anonymousreply 181April 21, 2021 2:17 AM

It's really hard to feel sorry for Jackie since she accepted her fate as a trophy wife and was greedy. She choose wealth over her dignity. JFK was a narcissist and his legacy was overrated. His assassination probably was the best for his reputation. I can't imagine how long his health problems, his shameless slutty behavior and the Kennedy corruption could have been covered up.

by Anonymousreply 182April 21, 2021 2:28 AM

Covered up? Until the 1964 election. And he'd still have beaten Barry Goldwater.

I know a bit about his health. After winning in 1964 he'd likely be dead by the midterms.

If somebody's husband didn't shoot him first.

by Anonymousreply 183April 21, 2021 2:33 AM

[quote] If you've never seed Dead Ringer it's a craptastic hoot. Bette Davis (wearing the ugliest wig that has ever been captured on film) plays twins, one good and one bad. The bad one kills the good one and assumes her identity,

Actually, the good one kills the bad one (which then makes her a murderer, so they're both bad).

by Anonymousreply 184April 21, 2021 2:56 AM

"I always felt JFK's sex life was greatly exaggerated."

I don't think it was. He fucked anything that moved. And women always wanted to fuck him because he was from a rich, prominent family. And of course what woman would turn down the President of the United States? Well, there is one I know of. Sophia Loren wouldn't fuck him. God knows he was not her type.

An aging Marlene Dietrich fucked him. She too would fuck anything that moved. Her daughter Maria tells this story. Dietrich and Riva's husband were staying in the same hotel. One day she comes in after a tryst with Kennedy; she sees him, and shoves a pair of panties in his face exclaiming "Here! Smell! It is him! He was wonderful!" Riva's husband decided to move to another hotel.

by Anonymousreply 185April 21, 2021 2:57 AM

The picture of JFK Jr. at R86 reminds me how freakishly handsome he was. I've never seen a bad picture of him.

If he'd lived, he could have been a senator or even president based just on his looks and name recognition. He looked like Hollywood's idea of a president.

by Anonymousreply 186April 21, 2021 3:27 AM

Let's talk about Peter or close the thread.

by Anonymousreply 187April 21, 2021 2:39 PM

"Let's talk about Peter or close the thread."

What else is there to say about him? He was a train wreck personality and a mediocre actor. That sums him up.

by Anonymousreply 188April 21, 2021 8:59 PM

Peter had a torrid affair with Lee Remick while making the TV movie The Farmer’s Daughter in 1962. They were not discreet.

Hedda Hopper found out about it and put a blind item in her column about the affair, referring to Pat Lawford as “His Million Dollar Baby.”

Shortly after that appeared, Lee introduced herself at a party to Pat—“hello Pat, I’m Lee Remick.” To which Pat replied, “and I’m the Million Dollar Baby.”

by Anonymousreply 189April 21, 2021 9:08 PM

Peter was on some game show we went to see as a family (I was probably 16), at the NBC studios in Burbank. This was in the mid-1970s when we went to see a show every once in a while (Sonny & Cher, etc.) This was some game show where contestants were briefly kept in a soundproof booth for part of the time, though still on camera. So I can say I saw him in person once. All I remember is thinking he was some sort of movie star. I kept hoping we would see Johnny Carson or any famous person while we were at the studio.

by Anonymousreply 190April 21, 2021 9:45 PM

Coincidentally, I just came across MGM's THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY now on TCM starring Hurd Hatfield as a man who is supposed to be inordinately beautiful and eternally youthful. Hatfield is neither of those things and it's a puzzlement why he was cast when they have the young and absolutely gorgeous Peter Lawford in a supporting role.

It's undeniable that when Lawford was young (he was 22 when this film was shot in 1945), he was one of the handsomest men who ever appeared in Hollywood films.

by Anonymousreply 191April 21, 2021 11:40 PM

r165 No she wasn't homophobic, she loved Monty Clift. She had some bizarre beliefs, though, like thinking Arthur Miller had suppressed gay desires and other actresses unconsciously wanted to be blonde, etc.

by Anonymousreply 192April 21, 2021 11:57 PM

R191 Are you suggesting that Lawford should have been cast as Dorian?

Hatfield was certainly as expressionless as a Sphinx but I think only Tyrone Power could have done the role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193April 22, 2021 1:30 AM

His eyebrows were out of control right from the beginning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194April 23, 2021 1:51 AM

Please note Peter's infamous hands in that photo at r194. They both look perfectly normal.

by Anonymousreply 195April 23, 2021 2:00 AM

I always thought Lawford was weedy looking with a giant head. Tyrone Power would have been a perfect Dorian.

by Anonymousreply 196April 23, 2021 2:09 AM

Peter's son and his grandsons inherited his eyebrows, uniform across the picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197April 23, 2021 2:38 AM

Given Lawford's eyebrows and underarm hair, his bush must have been gigantic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198April 23, 2021 2:39 AM

^ A Pretty young Man with a Lousy Career.

by Anonymousreply 199April 23, 2021 3:45 AM

He had nice feet, too.

by Anonymousreply 200April 23, 2021 10:30 PM

Did Peter screw any big name male celebrities?

by Anonymousreply 201April 24, 2021 12:12 AM

[quote]He was bad influence on America— the voters started to expect presidents to look and behave like movie stars instead of crusty old politicians .

Which is why the next two presidents were the Adonises LBJ and Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 202April 24, 2021 3:42 AM

I readily believe that Lawford was an ass, however, it's still so easy to have real pity for him after reading "The Way We Lived Then" by Dominick Dunne.

Dunne describes, how, when both, after some success such as it was, were at the bottom of the Hollywood hierarchy, they would be invited to "A" List parties alright, but not because they were wanted, but because of a a last minute cancellation by an "A" Lister and the hosts needed the chair filled.

Then as soon as the other invited guests saw who they were seated next to, either Lawford or Dunne, those guests quickly made a brief, polite stab at small-talk and then as soon as possible, moved away from them.

True, the world is full of actual, cruel, situations far, far exceeding Dunne's description of being a seat filler at a Hollywood party, but Dunne was such a good writer that, I'll admit it, he wrung my heart when I read his words about him and Lawford.

by Anonymousreply 203April 24, 2021 2:23 PM

R203 Dunne was such a social climber, it must have been devasting to be shunned like that.

by Anonymousreply 204April 24, 2021 2:40 PM

Yes, r204, and, to Dunne's credit, he forthrightly describes his devastation, and his shallowness, in "TWWLT".

I recommend that book. It captures a time in the Hollywood 60s and 70 s, at least Dunne's experience of it, that I found fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 205April 24, 2021 3:04 PM

[quote] Tell me about Peter Lawford

He’s dead.

by Anonymousreply 206April 24, 2021 3:35 PM

If I'm not mistaken, in Dead Wringer, with Bette Davis, the good sister kills the evil sister and assumes her identity, not the other way around. Her being the good one is why we care about what is happening to her throughout the rest of the film.

by Anonymousreply 207April 24, 2021 3:39 PM

*Dead Ringer

by Anonymousreply 208April 24, 2021 3:40 PM

I don't know.....I kind of want to see Bette Davis in Dead Wringer.

by Anonymousreply 209April 24, 2021 3:43 PM

R209 lol

by Anonymousreply 210April 24, 2021 3:52 PM

[quote]If I'm not mistaken, in Dead Wringer, with Bette Davis, the good sister kills the evil sister and assumes her identity, not the other way around. Her being the good one is why we care about what is happening to her throughout the rest of the film.

This was borrowed for "Die, Mommie, Die!"

The sister with no talent killed the sister in show biz with talent.

One of my favorite scenes is when she hands her the gin and tonic full of barbiturates to kill her and: (1) all the pills are very visible; and (2) the sister died instantly.

by Anonymousreply 211April 24, 2021 3:55 PM

Dead Ringer is hilarious. Everybody in the movie is smoking in every scene, even ancient old Mildred Natwick.

by Anonymousreply 212April 24, 2021 4:06 PM

Mildred Natwick wasn't in it, though...

by Anonymousreply 213April 24, 2021 4:07 PM

Estelle Winwood, not Mildred Natwick. I seem to correct someone on that point whenever Dead Ringer is mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 214April 24, 2021 4:10 PM

Sorry, Estelle Winwood. I get my old crones confused.

by Anonymousreply 215April 24, 2021 4:12 PM

Easy to do.

by Anonymousreply 216April 24, 2021 4:15 PM

Peter? He sucked all the right dicks, just like all the rest of 'em!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217April 24, 2021 4:18 PM

Dead Ringer (directed by Paul Henreid) is a pretty good suspense movie. It keeps you interested and moves along. For a medium budget it has a good cast, nobody in it is boring. It's campy but not ridiculously so. And it has good mid-60s LA atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 218April 24, 2021 4:26 PM

The ugliest goddamn wig ever. And after filming, Bette lifted it from the hair and makeup trailer and wore it in her private life for several years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219April 24, 2021 4:28 PM

Doesn't she cut and tease and comb it in front of a mirror when she's supposed to look like her sister, after she kills her? It looks like her own hair. It kind of does in that picture, also.

by Anonymousreply 220April 24, 2021 4:39 PM

No, that was a wig.

by Anonymousreply 221April 24, 2021 7:31 PM

Maybe I am confusing it with the hair of "Edie" before she impersonates the sister. Was that real, or also a wig?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222April 24, 2021 10:38 PM

I believe Edie’s pre-glam/tiny bangs transformation into Margaret is Bette’s own wispy hair which was once lush and luxurious but never recovered from shaving her hairline to play Elizabeth I or from dying it red later for Night of the Iguana.

by Anonymousreply 223April 24, 2021 10:48 PM

Do you know the background of the dark hair vs light hair in Iguana? Two different playbill covers:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224April 24, 2021 11:03 PM

The other one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225April 24, 2021 11:04 PM

Bette dyed her hair red during the run of the play because she was jealous of the attention Margaret Leighton was getting. Davis appeared on Broadway a few times in her career and it was always a disaster. She couldn't handle eight shows a week and she couldn't stand it if the attention of the audience wasn't on her at all times. She left all the shows she attempted shortly after they started.

by Anonymousreply 226April 24, 2021 11:07 PM

Ok thanks, I know all that, but which one is "dyed red"? Because this looks black.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227April 24, 2021 11:11 PM

Bette wearing the Dead Ringer wig IRL. She kept it and wore the hell out of it for awhile. God only knows why, it was so damn unflattering.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228April 24, 2021 11:11 PM

And which one is this? Red, or not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229April 24, 2021 11:12 PM

...And I'm pretty sure they're both wigs, also.

by Anonymousreply 230April 24, 2021 11:14 PM

Tennessee Williams on Bette Davis:

[quote]She was out of her element on [Night of the] Iguana. If she had ever truly had a command of her talent on the stage, she had lost it by that time. There was ever any doubt that she could command a sound stage, but she seemed lost working on a play; she seemed small, lost. Of course this made her terribly angry, so most of what we saw was the virago, railing about the set and the costumes and the audiences: She both wanted for them to love her and want to see her, but would then chastise them for being stupid fans who weren't there to appreciate my play. Davis also could not help perpetually thinking of her investment in the play: At Warner Bros., she would always begin, she could work for four to six weeks, and at the conclusion of that time, she would have a Jezebel or a Dark Victory or The Letter to show for it: a completed project, featuring her, ready to sell, ready for applause. On a play, you put in two, three months, and all you have is the same play, but you are, one hopes, perfecting the performances, helping your fellow players perfect their own performances. This was insufficient to Miss Davis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231April 24, 2021 11:17 PM

Bette Davis was very prophetic about the future of Broadway and films:

[quote]This project you're on--finding Tennessee's women and talking to them is good, but it's sad. All of those women you've mentioned--there will never be a list of names like that again. Good luck to the person who dreams of a life in the theatre in another ten or twenty years. Who will they write to for help? Who will they wait in line to see? Who will they conjure in thought to create a character? It's very sad, I tell you. It's over. I really think it's over. I honestly think that we will no longer go to theatres to see films--they'll be shown entirely on televisions now: on cable or video recorders. This is horrible, I think. I think films should be seen on a big screen with an audience, and I think you should get together and get dressed and sit with that group and give a damn about what happens. I think you should go to the theatre to see great plays about great ideas, cast with people you want to look at for two hours, creating characters who are interesting and larger than life.

by Anonymousreply 232April 24, 2021 11:22 PM

R232 Yes she was totally right. People now think they have had a deep, mature, artistic experience when they go to The Lion KIng.

R231 That's a shame, but then Margaret Leighton could not command the screen like Bette Davis or have legions of adoring fans for her screen work.

by Anonymousreply 233April 24, 2021 11:28 PM

Everything Bette Davis said in that quote came true.

by Anonymousreply 234April 24, 2021 11:58 PM

Getting back to Peter Lawford... If I had some private time with him, I'd make the most of it. His eyes would be rolling back in his head.

by Anonymousreply 235April 25, 2021 2:58 AM

His last wife (the one that berated the Betty Ford Clinic) wrote in her book that he liked extreme nipple play -he loved having his worked over. She also wrote that he loved three-ways with two women and was well endowed.

by Anonymousreply 236April 25, 2021 4:45 AM

I think the wife said he liked to have his nipples bitten. What a freak.

by Anonymousreply 237April 25, 2021 5:04 AM

He didn't just like his nipples bitten, he liked them lacerated with razor blades. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 238April 25, 2021 3:56 PM

He's beautiful in OP's picture but his head is too narrow.

by Anonymousreply 239April 25, 2021 7:23 PM

Too narrow for what?

by Anonymousreply 240April 25, 2021 7:34 PM

I can't tell you how many new words I've learned over the years on DL. "Virago" from Williams' comment is the most obscure and my favorite.

[Quote]A domineering, violent, or bad-tempered woman.

by Anonymousreply 241April 25, 2021 8:33 PM

I can't believe that it's taken this long to post this (train wreck) You Tube classic. Peter Lawford performing 'Age of Aquarius' on the Hollywood Palace circa 1968.

by Anonymousreply 242April 25, 2021 10:01 PM

Sorry. Here we go:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243April 25, 2021 10:02 PM

R242/R243 Don't believe it: someone already did.

Two weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 244April 25, 2021 10:54 PM

What was the story of Frank Sinatra going berserk one time when Age of Aquarius was playing on the radio in his car, and did it have anything to do with Peter Lawford's performance?

by Anonymousreply 245April 26, 2021 1:04 AM

Frank Sinatra showed up on TV in a Nehru jacket and sang Aquarius with the Fifth Dimension.

Lots of performers from that generation had a huge shock in the late 60s when a new generation took over pop culture. They were desperate to stay relevant and be seen as cool by "the kids" so they went on tv and totally embarrassed themselves by dressing like and singing songs of the younger generation. It was painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 246April 26, 2021 1:28 AM

R246 - I think Timothy Dalton did the same thing with Mae West which I never understood why!

by Anonymousreply 247April 26, 2021 2:28 PM

R247 it was from Mae's 1977 movie Sextette where an eighty-something West and a thirty-something Dalton sing and flirt with each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248April 26, 2021 3:22 PM

R246 I often think Marilyn Monroe would have been well suited to the hippie era. She was constricted by the stuffiness of the Kennedy era. I can imagine her as an Earth mother, tits out at Woodstock.

by Anonymousreply 249April 26, 2021 3:26 PM

r245, well, Sinatra sure has the nerve, if that's true.

Here, Sinatra needed the great 5th Dimension more than they needed him. Sinatra wasn't slumming it with them, they were with him.

And I write this as a huge, albeit, guilty fan of Sinatra. He truly was despicable person, but damn, I love his sound and skill at story-telling. I listen to Sinatra all the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250April 26, 2021 6:26 PM

Sinatra seems to be enjoying himself. I can't believe they got him to wear that get up.

by Anonymousreply 251April 26, 2021 7:42 PM

So many embarrassing moments for the older generation of stars in the late 60s. They just did not know how to cope with the changing times and a new generation becoming dominant in the culture. Kate Smith sang Beatles songs, Lucille Ball did a special where she went to London and got "mod," Sammy Davis Jr. in love beads singing pop songs, etc. It was so embarrassing and they were desperately trying to appeal to "the kids."

by Anonymousreply 252April 26, 2021 7:47 PM

I can’t remember what Kennedy biography I read but in it, it mentions Peter had a nanny when he was 10 and lived in France. The nanny would take him to the park and have him suckle her breast until she orgasmed. Peter thought it was hilarious and would retell the story at dinner parties when he was older.

by Anonymousreply 253April 26, 2021 9:07 PM

I dreamed about Peter Lawford's mother last night.

She was announcing she was returning to spend her final years in England (and then secretly talked about having two lines of her thick eyebrows being trimmed off).

by Anonymousreply 254April 26, 2021 9:09 PM

I'll up your Sinatra outfit with this 1969 gem. The bookend gays compliment the ensemble.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255April 27, 2021 3:53 AM

By 1968, the only member of the Rat Pack who was still friendly with Peter Lawford was Sammy Davis Jr. They shot a film in London, directed by future SUPERMAN director Richard Donner titled 'Salt and Pepper' playing club owners who were also private eyes. The sequel to the film was shot a few years later and directed by Jerry Lewis titled 'One More Time'

Here's the opening:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256May 1, 2021 3:57 PM

R256 That was the era of bad fonts.

by Anonymousreply 257May 1, 2021 4:32 PM

JFC did they make some shit movies or what?

by Anonymousreply 258May 1, 2021 4:33 PM

The opening is fine except for the music—it really ruins it.

by Anonymousreply 259May 1, 2021 5:51 PM

@r252, "Lucille Ball did a special where she went to London and got "mod,"

Hey, I was always down with all the kids, with their hair and their clothes...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260May 1, 2021 6:22 PM

I had go-go boots just like that!

by Anonymousreply 261May 1, 2021 7:24 PM

^ You still do, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 262May 1, 2021 8:12 PM

Ha ha, I don't know why I read that post above as "Peter Lorre singing Age of Aquarious". I think that would have been even better, though.

by Anonymousreply 263May 1, 2021 8:51 PM

Even Bette Davis got in on the act in "Bunny O'Hare," one of the worst movies ever made. She played a woman who "disguises" herself as a hippie.

Yes, Bette Davis as a hippie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264May 1, 2021 9:11 PM

There's some video of Judy Garland rehearsing and she's attempting to sing the 60s pop tune "What the World Needs Now Is Love." It's obvious she hates the song and hates singing it. I don't think Judy would much liked the hippie era. When she got involved with Mickey Deans she tried to be more "hip" and with it by wearing Carnaby street "mod" clothes but she just looked silly in them. Judy was a product of a certain era; she did not fit in well with the 60s, like so many other middle aged or older stars.

by Anonymousreply 265May 1, 2021 11:25 PM

I trust you aren't referring to me, r265.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266May 1, 2021 11:33 PM

Lucy In London looked abysmal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267May 2, 2021 12:31 AM

Did Judy die a short time after that photo was taken at r255? She looks dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 268May 2, 2021 1:08 AM

Haha...no r262.

by Anonymousreply 269May 2, 2021 1:11 AM

[quote] but was aghast that her other daughter Kathleen was going to marry a Protestant man

Peter Fitzwilliam was divorced. That was Rose Kennedy's objection.

by Anonymousreply 270May 2, 2021 1:16 AM

Yes, R268, Judy didn't last long after that photo. She died not long after her marriage to Mickey Deans. She died at 47. She looks more like 67 in that pic.

by Anonymousreply 271May 2, 2021 1:35 AM

Here is the trailer to 'One More Time' starring Sammy Davis Jr, and Peter Lawford (and directed by Jerry Lewis).

Worst. Film. Ever. Made.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272May 2, 2021 1:51 PM

[quote]Worst. Film. Ever. Made.

Ahem...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273May 2, 2021 2:24 PM

R255 Judy looks like an organ grinder's monkey.

by Anonymousreply 274May 2, 2021 4:31 PM

Sammy Davis Jr was born in 1925 so he wasn't exactly an old man in the 60s. He had a #11 hit with I've Gotta Be Me in '68 and a #1 in 1971 with Candy Man.

by Anonymousreply 275May 2, 2021 6:43 PM

"[R255] Judy looks like an organ grinder's monkey. "

She looks like a bell hop

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276May 2, 2021 7:38 PM

I'm praying that Nicole Kidman does Lucille Ball Doing London.

"Nic" is now the right age. And is appropriately grotesque.

by Anonymousreply 277May 2, 2021 7:58 PM

Lucy still had a great figure for being in her late 50s.

by Anonymousreply 278May 2, 2021 8:28 PM

[quote]Sammy Davis Jr was born in 1925 so he wasn't exactly an old man in the 60s. He had a #11 hit with I've Gotta Be Me in '68 and a #1 in 1971 with Candy Man.

He was in his 40s mid-sixties, a decade when 30 was regarded as old.

He was also associated with a prior time. Yes, he had talent but he was corny AF.

He tried to look "with it" with his love beads and Nehru jackets but they just made him look silly.

by Anonymousreply 279May 2, 2021 8:39 PM

Diana, Dinah, and Lucy in 1969

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280May 2, 2021 8:42 PM

[quote]He was in his 40s mid-sixties, a decade when 30 was regarded as old.

Yeah, that's sort of a cliche but not actually true. Older culture and newer culture existed side by side in the 60s and often overlapped. Top grossing movies of 1968 and 1969, for instance. Yours, Mine And Ours (Lucille Ball, Henry Fonda and Van Johnson), The Odd Couple (Lemmon and Matthau), True Grit (John Wayne) , and Cactus Flower (Ingrid Bergamn, Matthau, Goldie Hawn), and Hello Dolly coexisted with Easy Rider, Midnight Cowboy, and Butch Cassidy.

by Anonymousreply 281May 2, 2021 8:49 PM

R281 That's because older people didn't go away. Sammy was playing to older audiences -- and kids who didn't know better.

Even today, there is schmaltzy Hallmark entertainment and rap stars talking about their wet pussies. But not to the same audience most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 282May 2, 2021 8:54 PM

R280 Poor Diana.

Of course, now she would be the dated one trying to act young.

by Anonymousreply 283May 2, 2021 8:55 PM

[quote]He was also associated with a prior time. Yes, he had talent but he was corny AF.

He was on an episode of I Dream of Jeannie. What did people think of that show during it’s original run?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284May 2, 2021 9:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285May 2, 2021 9:08 PM

IDOJ was kid-stuff and a bit old-fashioned. Hipper than Lawrence Welk but cornier than Laugh-In.

by Anonymousreply 286May 2, 2021 9:12 PM

In the 60s there was a youth culture but not like today. There were a lot of older singers on the charts. Even up to the end of the 70s the entertainment industry was largely by adults, for adults. Today there are literally hundreds of 'young adult' actors, for example, while back there in the 60s and 70s there were almost none, except on a handful of sitcoms. People who grew up then know this is true. They went to movies, read books, watched TV that was targeted to adults.

by Anonymousreply 287May 4, 2021 8:16 AM

Not a very big package...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288May 5, 2021 3:14 AM

JFK looks so modern in that picture.

by Anonymousreply 289May 5, 2021 3:36 AM

[quote]Not a very big package...

Which one?

by Anonymousreply 290May 5, 2021 4:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!