Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Rise of the Ripped Teen

[QUOTE] Jack, 16, who lives in London, is clear about why he goes to the gym. “Muscles are attractive to girls,” he says. “Pretty much anyone who is popular at school has muscles.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223May 21, 2022 6:18 PM

op would rather fatties as they're easier to catch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2021 6:50 PM

[quote]I don’t really work on my legs, because no one sees them. I don’t wear shorts much.” He prefers a pair of joggers and a sleeveless top to emphasise his biceps and shoulders

DON’T SKIP LEG DAY CHARLIE!!

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2021 6:51 PM

This thread is useless without thirst-trap Instagram photos, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2021 6:53 PM

“press-ups”? Oh god.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2021 6:53 PM

Stealth pedo thread.

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2021 6:53 PM

[QUOTE] This thread is useless without thirst-trap Instagram photos, OP.

There will be none of that here, R3. How about you actually read the article to see what these young men are going through today?

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2021 6:56 PM

I read this at the time and was struck by the difference in tone as to how The Guardian treats trans teenagers.

[quote]But at what point does a healthy interest become a dangerous obsession? What should make a parent worry? “First, how accurate is the person’s body image?” says Olivardia, who treats boys with bigorexia. “When they look in the mirror, are they able to see how they look, or is there a distortion? Are they always dissatisfied with the way they look?” He also points to the amount of time a boy is spending on his body, “and how much time it is taking away from other things that are important and fulfilling in life. He has to do well at school, has to be healthy and has to foster real relationships, not just online likes.”

I can't imagine The Guardian carrying a quote on teenage girls who want a double mastectomy.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2021 6:56 PM

My nephew Traylor and his manly little chums on the lacrosse team are astonishingly well defined specimens, for teens! Really inspiring to watch them.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2021 6:57 PM

It's not a good idea to train certain muscles and not others. It gives you a misshapen appearance which girls don't find sexy.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2021 6:58 PM

I love watching Joel do press ups

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2021 6:59 PM

[QUOTE] It's not a good idea to train certain muscles and not others. It gives you a misshapen appearance which girls don't find sexy.

Oh yeah, cause teenage girls are really checking to make sure the musculature of your legs is proportional to the rest of your body.

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2021 7:00 PM

r11, judgmental people do things like that. They use any excuse to single someone out. I envy you for not knowing that by now.

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2021 7:02 PM

[quote]He works until his muscles can’t take any more. “I push myself until I can barely breathe and I’ve got a headache. Then I go downstairs to have some food, and then go back up again.”

I can’t believe this is about a 13 year old.

[quote]Is there anything you would like to change about your body, I ask Charlie. “I’d like to wax my back,” he replies.

Wax his back? He’s 13, how does he even have enough back hair to need a wax?

[quote]”I wonder how many young lads would be going to the gym if it wasn’t for social media,” says Terry Anderson, owner of CrossFit All Out, a gym in Newton Aycliffe, County Durham.

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2021 7:06 PM

I understand that, R12, but we’re talking about what teenage girls find sexy and I really don’t think they care if your legs are skinny or not.

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2021 7:15 PM

There is a renaissance in the appreciation of the beauty of the male figure, brought about by Instagram and TikTok, and I’m all for it.

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2021 7:27 PM

[quote]“I don’t really work on my legs, because no one sees them. I don’t wear shorts much.”

Chicken with chicken legs!

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2021 7:33 PM

How is this possible when obesity is at an all time high? How can both things be true?

by Anonymousreply 17April 12, 2021 7:36 PM

There are ripped, muscular kids who are popular and then there’s lots of fat kids who are unpopular, R17. What is it you don’t get?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 12, 2021 7:41 PM

[quote]How is this possible when obesity is at an all time high? How can both things be true?

Because the obese kids aren't the ones in the gym.

Between obesity and bigorexia the number of normal kids is decreasing.

by Anonymousreply 19April 12, 2021 7:43 PM

R17,

[quote]How big a problem does he think bigorexia is becoming among young boys? Olivardia says it’s important to keep it in perspective; there are other, worse health crises: “We have a very big problem with obesity in children and teenagers.” Larger numbers of teens are playing video games and not exercising at all. Working out and getting fit, even at a young age, is fine, he says, up to a point. “As long as the conversation is always around health and the joy of physical activity – as opposed to just being strong for strong’s sake, or looking good for looking good’s sake.”

[...]

[quote]But she does worry Charlie might be damaging his muscles. “Maybe a 13-year-old isn’t supposed to have a 23-year-old’s body. But as a mum you always worry. If you’ve got a child who is overweight and eating loads of chocolate, you worry. I’ve got one who is extremely muscular and lean, and I am still worried. God forbid he gets into steroids. At the moment his body is a temple. He won’t vape. He won’t smoke. He doesn’t want to damage anything.”

[...]

[quote] Of course, getting fit can be a good thing when so many children are overweight (almost one in five when they start primary school). But experts worry when the ideal becomes a tyranny. “There is a fine line,” Nagata says. “Some young men become obsessed with their appearance and engage in excessive or compulsive exercise, and body image takes over their lives.”

by Anonymousreply 20April 12, 2021 7:44 PM

R19 Sounds about right. People are leading much more sedentary lifestyles than in the past. Most people who don't develop those skills would naturally let themselves go. However, even famous people back then had bodies that were closer to average. I guess some people use that extra time at the gym, but I doubt it's representative of the majority.

by Anonymousreply 21April 12, 2021 7:46 PM

All steroids. A hormone obsessed generation. If you’re not blocking them, you’re taking them!

by Anonymousreply 22April 12, 2021 7:57 PM

It's natural result of social media and guys having or at least feeling they have image standards to live up to.

Muscles are attractive to guys too, Jack.

I want to tell him that there's gonna be two more things, at least one of which he'll need to be attractive to girls in the future -- dick and money.

by Anonymousreply 23April 12, 2021 8:16 PM

Girls don’t care about dick. They don’t care about money, either. When they get older, sure, but teenage girls? All they care about is hotness and popularity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 12, 2021 8:26 PM

That's why I said "future."

by Anonymousreply 25April 12, 2021 8:30 PM

[quote]Girls don’t care about dick

If they didn't they wouldn't be going for masculine guys with deep voices.

by Anonymousreply 26April 12, 2021 8:33 PM

Fish care about ONE thing - $$$

by Anonymousreply 27April 12, 2021 8:33 PM

Thanks for chiming in, Erna (R27).

by Anonymousreply 28April 12, 2021 8:35 PM

r9

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 12, 2021 8:35 PM

Perhaps young men feel that their bodies is all they have to offer since they keep putting off their careers or are dirt broke.

by Anonymousreply 30April 12, 2021 8:43 PM

r19 r30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 12, 2021 8:46 PM

And yet most teens in the UK (and the US) are overweight, not super ripped

R26, there's no link between dick size and a guy's voice. Sorry. DL thinks every guy they find attractive has a big dick. Tons of hot, ultra macho guys have tiny dicks and tons of ugly, unappealing guys have huge ones. Dick size isn't based on gay wishful thinking.

by Anonymousreply 32April 12, 2021 8:47 PM

WTF is "pasta with tuna sauce"? How is tuna a sauce? WTF are they feeding the teens at school in the UK??!!

by Anonymousreply 33April 12, 2021 8:48 PM

"Because girls like it" is the socially acceptable pretext, just like "to defend freedom" is the socially acceptable excuse for joining the military when in reality no one does it for that reason. The real reason is to be cool, it's social emulation. The other reason is guys, even straight guys, are turned on by muscles. That doesn't mean they're gay of course.

by Anonymousreply 34April 12, 2021 8:52 PM

r33 Its a sauce that you make that has Tuna in it... Like Tomato sauce is a sauce you make that has tomato's in it. Nature doesn't really provide pre sauced food.

by Anonymousreply 35April 12, 2021 8:53 PM

[QUOTE] And yet most teens in the UK (and the US) are overweight, not super ripped

That doesn’t mean they’re happy about their weight. They probably feel like shit because all the popular kids who get girls walk around looking like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 12, 2021 8:53 PM

r34 girls are into yaoi and kpop.. so yes, looking like a twink matters.

r33 would you rather spotted dick? Or lentils?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 12, 2021 8:56 PM

Sorry, R36, but that guy does not look great and I love well muscled guys. He looks like Nick Robinson in the face but I would rather have Nick and his normal guy body than that guy.

by Anonymousreply 38April 12, 2021 8:56 PM

Why do you think he lifts weights, R38? Whatever flaws you have can be dramatically minimized when you have a great body. It’s like wearing a new BMW around your waist.

by Anonymousreply 39April 12, 2021 9:01 PM

R39, fair enough. I just think he'd be a lot hotter if he wasn't so muscular. He'd also probably have more time to fuck lots of girls and/or guys if he didn't work out so much.

by Anonymousreply 40April 12, 2021 9:05 PM

[quote] Stealth pedo thread.

Uh, don’t muscles make people look more adult?

by Anonymousreply 41April 12, 2021 9:08 PM

This can only escalate to steroids and mass shootings.

by Anonymousreply 42April 12, 2021 9:08 PM

Money and cars get more girls than muscles lol

by Anonymousreply 43April 12, 2021 9:08 PM

[quote] WTF is "pasta with tuna sauce"? How is tuna a sauce? WTF are they feeding the teens at school in the UK??!!

He’s probably referring to the ready-made tuna sweetcorn pasta salad dish that’s generally available in the prepared foods section of most British grocery stores and traiteurs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 12, 2021 9:11 PM

R43, true, but if you're a teen you can't really do anything to get money and cars if you're not from a rich family. All you can do is work out. If you're rich, you have to compete with the other rich guys in some way, so you work out.

by Anonymousreply 45April 12, 2021 9:14 PM

The rise? In 2008?

by Anonymousreply 46April 12, 2021 9:14 PM

R39 is correct. Muscles and abs matter

by Anonymousreply 47April 12, 2021 9:14 PM

more eye candy

by Anonymousreply 48April 12, 2021 9:15 PM

r44 Thanks for explaining that dish but it still looks revolting. But then again what do we expect from a country where beans on toast is a popular meal.

by Anonymousreply 49April 12, 2021 9:18 PM

I'd say this is a terrible squandering of time and talent for these guys, who would be perfectly attractive if they just played a sport a few times a week, but to be honest these guys were never going to be great scholars under any circumstances. It's probably better to have them obsessing over their looks in the gym than out getting drunk or looking for someone to beat up.

by Anonymousreply 50April 12, 2021 9:22 PM

So all this steroid use does what to your body?

by Anonymousreply 51April 12, 2021 9:24 PM

I blame Marvel.

by Anonymousreply 52April 12, 2021 9:26 PM

What is the end goal for all of this? It just seems to be endless circle of nothing. Are they looking for girls? No. 99% of the people who are into muscular guys are guys in real life and social media. So is the goal never-ending admiration from gay and closeted guys?

by Anonymousreply 53April 12, 2021 9:29 PM

It was getting big in the 90s, but it accelerated with social media in the 00s, and exploded with Instagram and TikTok in the 10s

by Anonymousreply 54April 12, 2021 9:29 PM

And it’s a global phenomenon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 12, 2021 9:31 PM

[quote]“As long as the conversation is always around health and the joy of physical activity – as opposed to just being strong for strong’s sake, or looking good for looking good’s sake.”

Most younger guys who work out like mad are doing so to get laid and be popular online. The article itself states that. No 16 year old is hitting the gym just so he can admire himself in the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 56April 12, 2021 9:33 PM

Most guys want to be perceived as strong and athletic. There is a huge emphasis on being an Alpha right now. Muscles are viewed as a huge physical attribute to having Alpha status

by Anonymousreply 57April 12, 2021 9:35 PM

Get laid by who though? The only ones who seem into them are guys. So are they having sex with all these guys who fawn all over them?

by Anonymousreply 58April 12, 2021 9:35 PM

My 15 year old nephew started working out to play lacrosse in HS. He continued working out really hard and when I asked why, he said he didn't want to be "a beta".

by Anonymousreply 59April 12, 2021 9:36 PM

[quote]But she does worry Charlie might be damaging his muscles. “Maybe a 13-year-old isn’t supposed to have a 23-year-old’s body.

There is exactly zero evidence that weight training at 13 (or even younger) can "damage" their muscles or stunt the growth in length of their bones.

I for one am glad that British men are finally starting to take fitness more seriously. It used to be that, if you could even FIND a gym in London, they would invariably be full of expat Americans, Canadians and Australians.

by Anonymousreply 60April 12, 2021 9:37 PM

R57 I wouldn't call an era where men are shamed for their masculinity having an emphasis on being alpha. If it's true, the woke campaign of toxic masculinity must be an epic fail.

by Anonymousreply 61April 12, 2021 9:38 PM

[quote]Muscles are viewed as a huge physical attribute to having Alpha status

The funny thing is—and based on so many posts on DL, these guys tend to be bottoms. Maybe they’re powerbottoms.

by Anonymousreply 62April 12, 2021 9:39 PM

R58 most of these ripped teens are getting laid pretty regular. And many are getting chased by women, not girls. My 15 year old nephew I mentioned above once showed up at my house with his 17 year old teammate and the guy's 22 year old GF. I'm not sure why but it seemed a little skeevy.

by Anonymousreply 63April 12, 2021 9:40 PM

Girls would rather have rich kids than ripped kids

by Anonymousreply 64April 12, 2021 9:41 PM

Pretty sure these very same guys would be getting laid a lot more than they are now if they were transported back to the early 90s when hardly anyone worked out (in this way).

by Anonymousreply 65April 12, 2021 9:41 PM

Girls also live beautiful boys. See BTS

by Anonymousreply 66April 12, 2021 9:42 PM

[quote]My 15 year old nephew I mentioned above once showed up at my house with his 17 year old teammate and the guy's 22 year old GF.

So she’s a predator? Or are making that up? DL tends to make things up.

by Anonymousreply 67April 12, 2021 9:42 PM

by Anonymousreply 68April 12, 2021 9:44 PM

R67, not an EST. I'm sure she was a lovely young woman, but an adult in college dating a teenager in HS just seemed odd. I was curious as to how they even met, but didn't want to seem nosy on top of being a prude.

And before anyone asks, if he had showed up with a 22 year old guy I would have been equally bothered.

by Anonymousreply 69April 12, 2021 9:46 PM

You didn’t seem bothered initially until I called her out for basically being a perv.

by Anonymousreply 70April 12, 2021 9:48 PM

Read my post again R70. I thought it was skeevy.

by Anonymousreply 71April 12, 2021 9:50 PM

When I was a fat tub of lard in high school I envied the guys who were rail thin, not the bulked up guys. All the football players in my school looked like Mike Ditka while the popular thin guys looked like Rob Lowe.

by Anonymousreply 72April 12, 2021 9:52 PM

This is only one aspect of the pathological competitiveness that has taken root in society in recent decades. If you're a teen, you can be sucked into hypercompetitive sports, which will come to totally dominate your life if you are perceived as having genuine talent. You can be sucked into hypercompetitive academics, which will also come to dominate your life if you are perceived as being gifted. Other than sports and academics, all that's left is popularity, and social media has made that hypercompetitive. To compete in that realm, if you're a guy, you have to work out constantly. If you're not an athlete, not a smart kid, and not popular, you're basically invisible.

by Anonymousreply 73April 12, 2021 9:52 PM

R72, stop living in the distant past, dude. It’s not 1964 anymore

by Anonymousreply 74April 12, 2021 9:53 PM

Oh sorry R70!! Yes! Very sorry.

by Anonymousreply 75April 12, 2021 9:54 PM

R71 I mean.

by Anonymousreply 76April 12, 2021 9:54 PM

I had a friend whose cousin was 10 or 11 when he started getting laid regularly due to his body/looks. He said, and it was backed up by his friends, who said he lost his virginity at 10 to a 12 yr old girl. That led to him getting laid by older and older girls and eventually women all while he was still in junior high. He dated a 20 something nurse when he was 13 and claimed many older women through his teens. I don’t remember all the details. This was 10 years ago. His parents (his dad specifically) were apparently ok with it all.

by Anonymousreply 77April 12, 2021 9:55 PM

R77, what was this person's ethnic background and socioeconomic class?

by Anonymousreply 78April 12, 2021 10:08 PM

I’m not sure about his ethnicity. He’s white. Middle/working class if I remember correctly.

by Anonymousreply 79April 12, 2021 10:12 PM

[quote]And before anyone asks, if he had showed up with a 22 year old guy I would have been equally bothered.

I would have been pissed, and sent that 22 year-old packing!

Your nephew's friend could stay, though.

by Anonymousreply 80April 12, 2021 10:12 PM

[quote] I had a friend whose cousin was 10 or 11 when he started getting laid

Fucking hell.

Kids that age should only be playing with each other in chaste games on the playground.

by Anonymousreply 81April 12, 2021 10:17 PM

R6 I prefer to not "actually read the article" because The Guardian is monitoring me and about to close their paywall. They are losing money (and most of their stuff is ill-thought propaganda)

by Anonymousreply 82April 12, 2021 10:20 PM

R81 children have been losing their virginity at young ages since forever. In grade school my best friends was an Italian boy named John. He lost his virginity at the age of 12 when his family went to Italy for the summer. This was back in 1985.

by Anonymousreply 83April 12, 2021 10:22 PM

So what is next is after this? These guys clearly are not happy with their bodies and are afraid of being “feminine” or “beta”—what’s next? Because they’re never going to achieve peace of mind.

by Anonymousreply 84April 12, 2021 10:25 PM

[quote] n high school I envied the guys who were rail thin, not the bulked up guys

R72 it was like that in my school, too (in the 2000s—idk if you went the same time?). Skinny guys were seen as cool and chic, because they could pull off the waifish sensitive-hipster/emo artiste/intellectual image that was so popular back then. If you were jacked, people just assumed you were a jackass and a meathead with no real sense of aesthetic or coolness let alone emotional range.

One of the most popular guys in my graduating class was about 6”2 and 130lbs, pale and pretty and long-limbed, with long gold eyelashes and floppy midlength hair in bright cornsilk/honey, and enormous bugged-out blue eyes like a baby. He could play a little guitar (just enough to impress the ladies), liked poetry and carried books, and wore thrifted leather jackets and vintage blazers instead of regulation uniform. Girls went nuts over this guy.

by Anonymousreply 85April 12, 2021 10:26 PM

R84, nothing's next. Nihilism just hits them earlier in life than it otherwise would have. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 86April 12, 2021 10:28 PM

Male aesthetics is its own modern culture, with its own language, code of conduct, diet, and even sexuality. It is a space where men openly and directly compliment males for being Alphas, “goals,” even “sexy” in an environment focused on male physical ideals. It greatly overlaps with homiesexuality, which has mainstream male-male sexually by masculinizing it.

by Anonymousreply 87April 12, 2021 10:31 PM

You think so though, R86? I think, of course suicide is one, but another I believe is transitioning. I really think so and I see it now with a few bodybuilders.

by Anonymousreply 88April 12, 2021 10:32 PM

R85 I was a teen in the 1980s. One of the guys was lusted after the most at that time looked like Morten Harket from A-Ha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 12, 2021 10:33 PM

r87 which is why feminists hate the homos more than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 90April 12, 2021 10:34 PM

In parts of the world, it isn’t uncommon for those in puberty to start having sex with all ages and having babies. My great-grandparents were 12 and 15 when they were married and 13 when my uncle was born. White, working class.

by Anonymousreply 91April 12, 2021 10:35 PM

Explain r90

by Anonymousreply 92April 12, 2021 10:36 PM

There is a deep pathologic narcissism going on so I can’t imagine a normal or sane life.

by Anonymousreply 93April 12, 2021 10:36 PM

90 is a blocked troll

by Anonymousreply 94April 12, 2021 10:37 PM

[quote]One of the guys was lusted after the most at that time looked like Morten Harket from A-Ha.

I wrote that badly. One of the guys in my school who was lusted after by girls and closet cases like me looked like Morten Harket.

by Anonymousreply 95April 12, 2021 10:38 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 96April 12, 2021 10:40 PM

You’re golden, R95.

That classic beautiful greaser look Morton had is so timeless. It looks cool and effortlessly sexy today. Why don’t body guys get that confidence and charisma and a classic hairstyle on a normal bodyguard (slightly and basically toned/fit) never goes out of style, and will get you all the tail you could want?

by Anonymousreply 97April 12, 2021 10:42 PM

r92 hypermasculinity is toxic masculinity because it is the homoerotic nature of gay men who desire to be women, which is why women should be lesbians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 12, 2021 10:42 PM

Just the latest outcome from body dysmorphic advertising and editorial messages -- for decades aimed at women/girls and in more recent years also toward men/boys -- plus social media amplification where "influencers" are "curating" highly staged, often heavily retouched images of their "best selves."

Being committed to fitness for good physical and mental health is obviously good. Being obsessed with fitness for the sake of measuring one's self worth and attaching that worth to the deserving of love and attention, obviously is not good.

Sorry, kids. We've been on a cultural slippery slope for years, and the forces were so strong it was tragically inevitable that we'd fail you.

by Anonymousreply 99April 12, 2021 10:45 PM

Girls absolutely DO notice chicken legs. Are you fucking kidding me? They look ridiculous.

Don’t fool yourselves, all you lazy asses skipping Leg Day.

by Anonymousreply 100April 12, 2021 10:52 PM

R49, it’s like a lite lunchtime version of an American tuna casserole. Substitute corn for peas and bow ties for egg noodles. To bind it all together they use mayonnaise instead of cream of mushroom soup.

by Anonymousreply 101April 12, 2021 11:08 PM

Steroids probably SAVE Luis Hernandez time in the gym. You have to work out less for greater results.

by Anonymousreply 102April 12, 2021 11:11 PM

Unless high school girls' tastes have dramatically changed over the last 15 years or so, I don't think they care about chicken legs. The hottest guy in my high school class was this cute wrestler, 5'9" maybe 5'10". He had the most wonderful ass and thighs, two perfectly sculpted mounds on top of two beautiful, solid, thick trunks of powerful muscle. The girls lusted over many other guys but never him. Too bad he was/is straight. He's probably never had that ass eaten like it deserves to be.

by Anonymousreply 103April 12, 2021 11:12 PM

A generation of fucking narcissists.

by Anonymousreply 104April 12, 2021 11:14 PM

I feel so ahead of my time. I was fat & unpopular 40 years ago!

by Anonymousreply 105April 12, 2021 11:16 PM

r94

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106April 12, 2021 11:16 PM

Yes R103, that checks out.

Non-dysmorphic normal females don’t find muscular physiques that attractive or much of a plus. More crucially, a man has to have personality and prospects and a way of looking good in public to get the’ attention of women en masse.

by Anonymousreply 107April 12, 2021 11:17 PM

r104

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108April 12, 2021 11:17 PM

If you ask me, men are only tolerable when they cry. I just walk away if they start yelling.

by Anonymousreply 109April 12, 2021 11:19 PM

And yet r99 would give their left arm to be railed hard by Luis Hernandez.

by Anonymousreply 110April 12, 2021 11:44 PM

Sadly, being famous is all a guy has to do “to get the’ attention of women en masse.”

Women throw themselves at serial killers, for Chrissakes.

by Anonymousreply 111April 12, 2021 11:49 PM

r110 likely a frigid feminazi ignorant about charles atlas ads

by Anonymousreply 112April 12, 2021 11:55 PM

R110, Speak for yourself, cunt. I hold myself in much higher regard than you evidently hold yourself. Also, DIAGF.

R112, Agree and thanks for the back-up. 😉

by Anonymousreply 113April 13, 2021 12:01 AM

Wait a few years after high school. Muscles are nice, but most American gals are more interested in the size of a fella's wallet, hee!

by Anonymousreply 114April 13, 2021 12:04 AM

R110, even if that were true, why would it matter? I don't see any contradiction between wanting to be pounded by an overly muscular dude and at the same time realizing that a culture that encourages guys to look like that has some serious problems. We can't really control what we want sexually because we don't really know what we want. We have to be taught it through culture. But we can also realize that that culture is sick.

by Anonymousreply 115April 13, 2021 12:04 AM

How did this discussion devolve into an argument about who wants to get pounded by Luis Hernandez?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116April 13, 2021 12:11 AM

[bold] Y E T

A N O T H E R

N O T - S O - S T E A L T H

N A M B L A

T H R E A D

by Anonymousreply 117April 13, 2021 12:12 AM

r115 it seems to persist in certain breed of people that find any sexual attraction as sordid.

it's on par with r114 in pushing the love language, five love bs... that long stigmatized lesbian/gay attraction as immature love or lust, a phase... it's postmodern puritanism. ready to stone ya for looking too good. as the meek (and homely) will inherit the earth and all that. . .

but maybe a psa can help them sort it out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118April 13, 2021 12:12 AM

r117 so redirect it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119April 13, 2021 12:14 AM

r114

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120April 13, 2021 12:24 AM

But if they aren’t starting to work out when they’re 14 and 15 how are they ever going to be ripped and ready for their OnlyFans launch on their 18th birthday like Canada’s own Issac Rossiter?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121April 13, 2021 5:26 AM

As long as it doesn't cross over into obsession territory, where young guys are damaging themselves physically and mentally in pursuit of the so-called 'perfect' body, and they are not neglecting their studies, I think it's a good thing that there is a lot more interest in health and fitness these days.

I fucking wish I had taken working out more seriously from a young age and had been buff and ripped in my early twenties!

by Anonymousreply 122April 13, 2021 8:32 AM

My sister’s Egyptian fiancé is into building. He’s a nice enough guy, good to my sis and hardworking, but he does have quite limited interests and OCD tendencies. He’s the type to spreadsheet and schedule everything in his life down to the minutiae. He doesn’t have much understanding or appreciation for arts and culture beyond what’s on Netflix, and he gets all his philosophy from Joe Rogan and bestseller audiobooks.

Idk. People should do what they want with their lives, but personally I wonder whether we were put here only to get swole and micromanage ourselves..

by Anonymousreply 123April 13, 2021 9:29 AM

I remember that when I was in high school (mid-90s), a stereotypical lesbian PE teacher told us that all the boys should do lots of crunches because that's how we get the six-pack that makes all the girls go crazy.

I thought, "good god, she talks about people like they're nothing but animals in heat."

She was of course right. I've heard of so many women and men who put up with physically and verbally abusive partners just because they are turned on by insectlike abdominal sections or a donkey dick.

I still wonder if I'm fully human. I sometimes feel like an alien that's just here to observe strange human behavior.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124April 13, 2021 10:06 AM

I love swole bros

by Anonymousreply 125April 13, 2021 11:26 AM

R107, good point.

There have been studies conducted which show that having a muscular physique matters more to men than to women. One study from Harvard showed that women usually prefer an average physique rather than a bodybuilder physique. The results showed that it was college men that were preoccupied with the size of muscles rather than women. The men overestimated how many pounds of muscle they actually needed.

by Anonymousreply 126April 13, 2021 12:53 PM

We ladies still want to be the pretty one in the relationship, fellas!

by Anonymousreply 127April 13, 2021 2:03 PM

Definitely different than it was in the early 90s.

There were always a few guys in HS who were hugely muscular or very lean and sculpted, but most of us were average.

Now "average" is having biceps the size of a boulder.

by Anonymousreply 128April 13, 2021 2:14 PM

All steroid use.

by Anonymousreply 129April 13, 2021 2:16 PM

This has surely increased the number of boys with body dysmorphia like those poor anorexic girls we heard so much about in the 90s. At least they’re not starving themselves to death in the same way if they are trying to build muscle mass.

by Anonymousreply 130April 13, 2021 2:22 PM

[quote]At least they’re not starving themselves to death

No, they’re just drugging themselves to death.

by Anonymousreply 131April 13, 2021 2:24 PM

Swole matters

by Anonymousreply 132April 13, 2021 2:35 PM

R126, perhaps but plenty of women today drool over swole dudes with bolder biceps. Just look at comment sections on social media

by Anonymousreply 133April 13, 2021 2:37 PM

Those same women worship people like the Kardashians, R133, they’re in the minority.

by Anonymousreply 134April 13, 2021 2:41 PM

Not really

by Anonymousreply 135April 13, 2021 8:40 PM

People with muscles don’t own property

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136April 13, 2021 9:28 PM

This is the teen boy version of anorexia and the diet industry for women. Boys feel bad about their bodies so the fitness industry can profit from their insecurities.

by Anonymousreply 137April 13, 2021 10:21 PM

All these young people who hate themselves are taking extreme measures to change themselves. Tattooing, steroids, and transitioning.

by Anonymousreply 138April 13, 2021 10:25 PM

R138 Yeah. Time was, we’d just dye or bleach our hair, wear a lot of skulls, do some skin art with a razor, and listen to loud obnoxious metalcore. Never thought I’d be nostalgic for that, but here we are.

by Anonymousreply 139April 13, 2021 10:56 PM

Muscles equal clout

by Anonymousreply 140April 13, 2021 11:19 PM

Who wouldn’t want this steroids or not? Sry not sry. You all wish you could have it or look like it.

by Anonymousreply 141April 13, 2021 11:20 PM

Dudes will do anything not to look Beta

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142April 14, 2021 3:22 AM

R142 See, I don’t see Alpha. They’re pretty boys. They’re just hot, not tough looking.

by Anonymousreply 143April 14, 2021 3:24 AM

R143, this is a particular, current definition of Alpha

by Anonymousreply 144April 14, 2021 3:31 AM

This is the type of dude young women drool over

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145April 15, 2021 12:27 AM

These guys are into weight lifting because men are like pack animals, and have to belong to a group or clique to feel normal. Working out has increased in popularity among ALL young people, young men are just getting more attention for it because it's the first time in modern history where men are putting as much effort into their looks as women. Guarantee you they don't spend one minute of their day cultivating and stressing about their looks more than a woman.

by Anonymousreply 146April 15, 2021 12:46 AM

You can’t even see him.

Are you the “watch yourself bro” dude R145?

by Anonymousreply 147April 15, 2021 12:46 AM

[quote]Guarantee you they don't spend one minute of their day cultivating and stressing about their looks more than a woman.[/quote]

That's meaningless when guys used to spend a small fraction of the time women did stressing about their looks.

by Anonymousreply 148April 15, 2021 12:49 AM

R147, I'd suck him off just based on what I can see of him in the video.

by Anonymousreply 149April 15, 2021 12:52 AM

You can’t see him tho snd what if he’s a bottom?

by Anonymousreply 150April 15, 2021 1:01 AM

R147, you can’t see his face clearly, but you can certainly tell he’s hot. Just look at the comments and reactions to him

by Anonymousreply 151April 15, 2021 1:04 AM

When many adult straight men don't wipe their asses properly "because it seems gay," younger guys working out, dieting, and stressing about their appearances is refreshing by comparison.

(Remember that the next time you read DLers rhapsodizing about how hawt straight men are.)

by Anonymousreply 152April 15, 2021 1:26 AM

[quote]When many adult straight men don't wipe their asses properly "because it seems gay," younger guys working out, dieting, and stressing about their appearances is refreshing by comparison.

But neither like gays...

by Anonymousreply 153April 15, 2021 1:31 AM

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 154April 15, 2021 1:35 AM

Neither of those groups you describe like gays.

by Anonymousreply 155April 15, 2021 1:37 AM

R155, man, you are addicted to overbroad generalizations about large groups of people

by Anonymousreply 156April 15, 2021 1:47 AM

[quote]Why do you think he lifts weights, [R38]? Whatever flaws you have can be dramatically minimized when you have a great body.

The people who will be the happiest and most well-adjusted adults will be those who learned to accept their flaws at a young age.

by Anonymousreply 157April 15, 2021 2:05 AM

This guy has s message for haters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158April 15, 2021 2:17 AM

I want a 10 inch penis and 2% body fat. I’m gonna get all the girls someday! 🤡

by Anonymousreply 159April 15, 2021 2:19 AM

[quote]man, you are addicted to overbroad generalizations about large groups of people

Watch yourself bro

by Anonymousreply 160April 15, 2021 2:42 AM

They’re getting an endorphin high. It requires more time and effort as you max out.

It’s an addictive personality and the kids should be warned they are more prone to other addictive behavior. These are the ones who get injured, are given opiates, and get stuck with a heroin habit.

Hopefully, they discover girls/guys and the body building phase weakens.

by Anonymousreply 161April 15, 2021 2:56 AM

You don’t tire of the adoration from The masses

by Anonymousreply 162April 15, 2021 3:03 AM

I love it how guys critique male physiques

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163April 15, 2021 3:06 AM

The whole trend began with this young man:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 15, 2021 6:46 AM

How many of these young gym rats are closet cases?

by Anonymousreply 165April 15, 2021 10:07 AM

Probably a lot are closeted. How many truly straight guys are that vain?

by Anonymousreply 166April 15, 2021 5:17 PM

I'm not so sure this is about vanity, I think it has far more to do with the constant need for external validation that social media creates. These teens probably have abysmal self-esteem from growing up on "influencers" who heavily curate what they show of themselves; this creates impossibly high standards of appearance and lifestyle. These teens do not get that kind of physique without compromising other parts of their development.

Moreover it seems to me this kind of self-obsessed need for constant validation somehow prevents the formation of any real internal sense of self. All that time at the gym takes away from learning about culture, art, history, or anything else substantive to growing as a person. Instead their world views are fed to them by social media—endlessly regurgitating the same key words and arguments without ever stopping to think about why they believe in something. But hey [insert minor celebrity] made an ICONIC tweet taking down [insert conservative pundit] so all of our problems are solved! Never mind that half these kids probably won't even bother to vote when they turn 18.

People like this become hollow attention seekers who mindlessly consume and worship pop-culture. Having a fulfilling social life slowly becomes a commodity locked behind having enough followers, and the system all these kids say they want to "tear down" is the real winner.

Also, the barely concealed lust for teenagers by some posters in this thread is disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 167April 15, 2021 7:14 PM

They probably figure they can become internet sensations and rake in millions. Betas don't get billions, bro.

by Anonymousreply 168April 15, 2021 9:52 PM

Maybe the reason they don’t want your desperate but less poorly-wiped asses is not because you don’t have a cunt but because you are one.

by Anonymousreply 169April 15, 2021 10:56 PM

It's obvious from the comments that no one here really has issues with actual body dysmorphia (which is a good thing). But I endured a severe case for several years, I can earnestly say this rise in the visibility of young people doing this is alarming. One thing that should be mentioned is that the younger people you see on social media engaging in this kind of behavior are still a small minority of all teens and 20-somethings. Not every guy high-school guy, athlete or not, is trying to get swole, and not every teenage girl out there is being a TikTok slut and vomiting her lunches up. Despite the apparent plethora of hos and bros over social media, it's not a lot in comparison to the population. So it's certainly not a major social concern yet. With that said, there are definitely pockets of teenagers in certain areas who are definitely susceptible to body dismorphia issues and I think any parent should be concerned if their son or daughter is going down that road, because it's truly a mental illness, one that I still struggle with still to this day.

Like others stated above, working out and fitness are great and it is good that younger generations are taking it more seriously than those prior. But there is a certain personality susceptible to the obsession that can occur. I used to go out in the evenings with friends to bars and clubs and if I didn't get a comment (or enough comments) on my physique, I'd hurry to the gym during the wee early hours immediately after bar close and lift or run on a treadmill for an hour. You get so addicted to the attention, that when it doesn't happen you really do go crazy and start doing really weird shit (like working out drunk at 2:30 am). And I will say that for the vast majority of these younger people, none of this is natural or due to gifted-genetics (that video above of the guy critiquing Laid's physique was fucking ridiculous). And it is sometimes promulgated by coaches, older siblings and also parents. It really is a sickness and, while I don't think it's excessively prevalent to a point of causing social concern quite yet, it is scary for it to be so much more visible now with social media.

by Anonymousreply 170April 16, 2021 3:32 AM

If r167and r170 had spent as much time in the gym as composing those epistles, they’d be getting laid like Luis Hernandez.

by Anonymousreply 171April 16, 2021 10:12 AM

R170 has an OCD or other mental illness. It’s more severe than “body dysmorphia” alone. It’s not something most of the juiceheads even have a problem with.

by Anonymousreply 172April 16, 2021 10:14 AM

Look up hashtag #SARMS on TikTok

by Anonymousreply 173April 16, 2021 12:34 PM

Read this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174April 16, 2021 1:06 PM

From drug addiction to gym bro

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175April 16, 2021 1:22 PM

Lol fuck you R171, I manage to stay fit and healthy and get all the dick I want while still opening an actual book quite often. Amazing that such things are possible without becoming a vapid narcissist. Pray tell, what do you have to contribute to this discussion?

by Anonymousreply 176April 16, 2021 1:56 PM

The social media false ideal, bleeding over into real life.

by Anonymousreply 177April 16, 2021 1:57 PM

OP- Forget about the rise of the RIPPED teen.

Let's discuss the rise of the ripped QUEEN.

by Anonymousreply 178April 16, 2021 2:02 PM

It’s kween.

by Anonymousreply 179April 16, 2021 2:05 PM

But queens aren’t hot, or cool, so who cares

by Anonymousreply 180April 16, 2021 2:06 PM

R180- I guess you're into UNDER aged boys.

I'm NOT into TEENS or QUEENS.

by Anonymousreply 181April 16, 2021 2:11 PM

Nope, I like em 18 and up

by Anonymousreply 182April 16, 2021 2:46 PM

R22 exactly! They’re all Gasheads!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183April 16, 2021 4:05 PM

Guys wanna be cocky

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184April 16, 2021 5:38 PM

The adoration is so addicting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185April 16, 2021 5:42 PM

Epidemic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186April 16, 2021 7:22 PM

Gymspiration

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187April 21, 2021 4:05 AM

“I have no life, but at least I’m swole.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188April 21, 2021 1:54 PM

Motivator

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189May 8, 2021 2:52 PM

Gadzooks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190May 28, 2021 11:33 AM

I caught Olivardia from an unwashed salad at Disney.

by Anonymousreply 191May 28, 2021 11:43 AM

When I was at school, there was this kid, about 12, 13 years old who was incredibly muscular and someone told me that his older brother owned a gym and that it was steroids. I was pretty horrified.

by Anonymousreply 192May 28, 2021 11:44 AM

SARMS are so popular now

by Anonymousreply 193May 28, 2021 11:57 AM

[QUOTE] When I was at school, there was this kid, about 12, 13 years old who was incredibly muscular and someone told me that his older brother owned a gym and that it was steroids. I was pretty horrified.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 194May 28, 2021 5:20 PM

Amazeballs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195June 5, 2021 1:52 PM

Goals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196June 5, 2021 6:45 PM

How to infuriate a gym bro

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197June 6, 2021 1:02 AM

Cute little blond dude Sam Wick getting ripped and sharing his tips with the world. I like him— he’s no douchebag. Cute giggle and seems sweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198June 6, 2021 1:19 PM

Damn R196 that guy is fine. And I NEVER comment on these threads lol.

by Anonymousreply 199June 6, 2021 1:30 PM

Goals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200September 20, 2021 12:23 PM

Work out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201January 8, 2022 11:46 AM

My sister became a health nut at 14. Though she was all about running and doing yoga and eating healthy foods, not so much building muscle.

Some young people really do embrace heath and fitness.

by Anonymousreply 202January 8, 2022 12:24 PM

That hair! ✂️

He’s got a nice, fuckable body. He’ll make a nice houseboy when he’s of age. Buckle up, boy! Work that body.?

by Anonymousreply 203January 8, 2022 2:21 PM

Gen Muscle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204January 22, 2022 8:45 PM

Ultra ripped

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205January 23, 2022 4:12 AM

R198 He sounds like Elizabeth Holmes.

by Anonymousreply 206January 23, 2022 2:12 PM

Damn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207April 24, 2022 1:52 PM

Purely a factor of social media. Everyone’s spending every waking minute managing their “personal brand.” It’s not just teens of course.

by Anonymousreply 208April 24, 2022 2:12 PM

So many hot dudes

by Anonymousreply 209April 24, 2022 2:18 PM

Nineteen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210April 27, 2022 12:14 AM

LOL - the hysteria about teenage boys exercising is...humorous.

Whereas, when it's teenage girls starving themselves to get a "thigh gap" or some such - meh.

Even I can see the double standard.

by Anonymousreply 211April 27, 2022 12:18 AM

Some hipster Zoomer wrote this piece for British Vogue about about ED in men & boys. Apparently he had a raging anorexia issue, and was also fucked up with bodybuilding for a while after that.

Truthfully it’s a poorly-written article, and its author unfortunately comes off as pretentious and condescending (a bit woke as well), but still an insightful read I suppose. It’s a step forward if lads have the opportunity to come and talk about this issue on major platforms, these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212April 27, 2022 12:23 AM

Poser

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213April 29, 2022 9:21 AM

PMPH: It's no wonder so many young people have body issues. They take Instagram at face value, not realising how heavily manipulated and unnatural everything is, especially when it comes to fitness and beauty influencers.

By striving to appear "perfect" with use of sunbeds, cigarettes, drugs, and plastic surgery they're actually aging themselves prematurely and obviously damaging their health, but this all goes on behind-the-scenes so their subscribers don't see it.

by Anonymousreply 214April 30, 2022 7:18 PM

Never sad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215May 21, 2022 2:02 PM

The rise of the ripped teen sounds like one of those mystery science theater film titles.

by Anonymousreply 216May 21, 2022 2:25 PM

^ "They Came from Behind!!"

by Anonymousreply 217May 21, 2022 3:33 PM

These guys are making these bodies only with the "help" of creatine and steroids. They're junkies, basically.

by Anonymousreply 218May 21, 2022 3:36 PM

^And it's all OK because it's "scientific." LOL.

by Anonymousreply 219May 21, 2022 4:18 PM

Creatine is safe

by Anonymousreply 220May 21, 2022 5:06 PM

When you're 14? Oh go on...

by Anonymousreply 221May 21, 2022 5:19 PM

I'm sure social media has taken it to new extremes, but all the hot, popular guys in my high school 20 years ago were big into showing off their abs and biceps.

by Anonymousreply 222May 21, 2022 5:59 PM

Yep, men want to be perceived as Alpha, and being jacked is part of that identity

by Anonymousreply 223May 21, 2022 6:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!