Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Charo to begin Vegas residency

Hurray for the old girl! If I had to travel to Vegas, I'd check out her cuchi-cuchi show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 13, 2021 6:49 AM

I love Charo.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2021 3:15 AM

I love Charo but I assume she has played Vegas for centuries.

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2021 3:24 AM

70...or perhaps older

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2021 3:37 AM

What exactly will she do to entertain?

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2021 3:43 AM

She’s actually a good guitar player.

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2021 3:46 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2021 3:48 AM

Which cemetery?

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2021 4:12 AM

When I saw her years ago she was wonderful — practiced jokes about her accent, purposeful mispronunciations, cuchi-cuchi interpretations of songs like "Disco Inferno." And, yes, she did a little speech about "how cooltured" this audience was, and because of that she was going to play a song on classical guitar (which was excellent). Certainly not as talented as Dolly Parton but that same sunny spirit.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2021 4:13 AM

She's somewhere between 70 and 90.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2021 4:14 AM

Anybody here had her handsome son?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2021 5:09 AM

Is she performing with Gaga?

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2021 6:42 AM

Here's a 14-year-old Charo performing La Cucaracha. Such a talented adolescent!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2021 7:58 AM

Damn she is in amazing shape for someone who is actually 80 years old.

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2021 8:32 AM

Lord, I remember her on Laugh In from when I was a kid; she's got to be ancient.

I feel bad for entertainers who have to keep working at an advanced aged instead of just being able to hang out by the pool sipping drinks. I suppose she may not *have* to, but that's got to be physically grueling for anyone, never mind a 70+ person

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2021 8:42 AM

Unless she gets banged by Donald Trump and the ghosts of Adolf Hitler and Mao Zedong during her act, she can do no wrong in my eyes.

Get that cash!

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2021 8:47 AM

¿Eres tú mi mamá?

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2021 9:01 AM

Charo doesn't seem like a type to have wasted her money. She must like to work.

by Anonymousreply 17April 12, 2021 9:01 AM

Considering she has lived in the States for so long her accent is so strong. She doesn’t make any effort to pronounce her words properly and I’m surprised Americans can understand her tbh.

by Anonymousreply 18April 12, 2021 9:22 AM

80 years old, toiling away at above the Heart Attack Grill:

[quote]Charo is often accused of trimming 10 years from her age. In 1977, a Las Vegas federal district court allowed Charo's claim that she was born in 1951 and that her March 13, 1941 birth date on her original Spanish birth certificate, passport, and American naturalization papers was incorrect based on affidavits submitted by Charo's parents, a claim that has been viewed with skepticism.

[quote]The same judge who permitted Charo to change her legal age issued a near-identical order finding that Charo's older sister Carmen Martinez Molina was 29, not 40 as stated in her Spanish passport. That order was similarly premised on affidavits submitted by Carmen's parents, who claimed that Carmen was 11 years younger than stated in all Spanish public records.

[quote]However, a 1951 birthdate is inconsistent with Charo's statements in numerous articles and interviews regarding the dates of her childhood, education and emigration to the United States. The performer did not appear to be a young teenager at the time of her live and TV performances in the 1960s, during which she variously cited her birth year as 1947 and 1949.

[quote]If born in 1951, Charo would have been only 15 years old when she married 66-year-old bandleader Xavier Cugat in 1966. She has stated in many interviews that she was attending school in Madrid at that age and graduated at 16, not having yet begun her performing career. She has never clarified the obvious discrepancy. As of 2016, Charo's current IMDb entry indicates a birth date of March 13, 1941.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 12, 2021 9:33 AM

I've always admired that she kept her natural hair color.

by Anonymousreply 20April 12, 2021 10:27 AM

I have seen her and she is loveable. Entertaining but you just want to give her a hug after the show.

by Anonymousreply 21April 12, 2021 10:35 AM

"Considering she has lived in the States for so long her accent is so strong. She doesn’t make any effort to pronounce her words properly and I’m surprised Americans can understand her tbh."

Could it be part of her " act"?

by Anonymousreply 22April 12, 2021 11:51 AM

I bumped into her in the lobby of the Beverly Hilton a few years ago. Couldn't have been sweeter. Posed for a picture with old fanboy me, yes, doing the "cuchi cuchi" move. How many times has the poor woman had to endure hearing that line, even though it is her bread and butter. She looked excellent for her age, vibrant, her pert little butt in tight jeans.

by Anonymousreply 23April 12, 2021 1:11 PM

Here's a clip of Charo on the Carol Burnett show. I came across this recently. It would never get made in today's environment but I thought it was great.

by Anonymousreply 24April 12, 2021 1:25 PM

Oops. Forgot to post the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 12, 2021 1:45 PM

Loved her first two albums. Pure disco backed by the Salsoul Orchestra.

by Anonymousreply 26April 12, 2021 2:40 PM

Follow her on social media if you don't already, she's priceless.

by Anonymousreply 27April 13, 2021 1:14 AM

Wow, her son is hot!

I saw her show in Hawaii years ago -not much to do there in the evenings, so I thought, "What the hell?" I left a fan. Not only was the show good, she also showed brilliant business savvy. Throughout the evening she cozied up to audience members -seemingly at random. After the show, the lobby had a photo of her with every single member of the audience -captured unobtrusively while she did her thing. Even back then I think they were selling for $20 a pop. Unless you were taking notes, you'd never guess that she had hugged or sat in every lap during the course of the show! She was clearly raking it in every night.

At this point, I'm pretty sure she works because she enjoys it, not because she needs the money. If I found myself in LV, I'd go see her again.

by Anonymousreply 28April 13, 2021 1:26 AM

Most people only know her as a bimbo disco singer that was on Loveboat who dances wildly and goes "Cuchi Cuchi." They don't realize that she's also an immensely talented classical guitar player.

by Anonymousreply 29April 13, 2021 6:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!