Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why I'm leaving Substack!

"I’m leaving Substack. Now let me tell you why. " (Short answer - because of "anti-trans bigotry").

(Skipping paragraphs of self-aggrandizement)

"Yet, targeted harassment of individual marginalized people, especially trans people, goes on openly on this website without any action taken by Substack. Graham Linehan, a retired comedy writer who was kicked off Twitter for targeted harassment and transphobia, uses his Substack exclusively to target trans women. He has multiple pieces targeted and doxxing specific trans women in particular. That even this behavior doesn’t lead to censure from Substack is a sign of how little the service cares to protect people from abuse. It indicated the complete failure of the moderation policy they’ve put to paper, but never into practice."

"More personally, I can’t ignore that Substack is particularly benefiting from and encouraging a culture of anti-trans bigotry. They’ve done this at a time when there is a powerful movement to roll back the bodily autonomy and healthcare of trans people. Just last week, Arkansas Senate passed a law banning gender-affirming healthcare for trans kids, including reversible (and medically recommended) puberty blockers and hormones. If the governor’s veto is overruled, this will kill and irrevocably harm trans children — and it is the point. This year, over 80 similar ‘model bills’ aiming to roll back trans rights and outlaw treatment have been proposed in numerous state legislatures."

(To summarize - he disagrees with some writers using the platform and wants them banned, but Substack won't do it. So he is flouncing off to a cheaper platform).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 24, 2021 4:06 AM

r0

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2021 1:48 AM

Doesn’t this guy have a Beatle to assassinate?

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2021 1:55 AM

Aw, I was on the fence and now I have to start subscribing.

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2021 2:04 AM

Who is this person?

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2021 2:05 AM

When did Trans become the VIPs of this planet for everyone to pander to them and what do they want? Everyone to go through gender conversion just because they went through it?

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2021 2:30 AM

[quote] Who is this person?

A 400 lb “economist” with no degree or credentials who somehow got a gig working for leftist think tanks.

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2021 2:35 AM

I always had the feeling Nathan Tankus was autistic or at least Asperger's. I wonder if he ever leaves his basement. But he's very smart despite the lack of credentials. Don't know why he's all upset about the trans, though.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2021 3:08 AM

Incel.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2021 3:09 AM

[quote] Don't know why he's all upset about the trans, though.

He naturally feels an affinity for fellow incels (=trans)

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2021 3:55 AM

He's right.

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2021 4:24 AM

#1, What is Substack?

#2. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH A FLOATING HEAD OF DOOM!!!

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2021 4:51 AM

I only care what attractive people think.

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2021 5:10 AM

KTHXBYE!

We're polishing our Trans-Lover credentials with this gorgeous couple now, so don't let the door hit you, Tankus, sweetie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2021 9:03 AM

The Left is trying to destroy civil liberties.

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2021 10:11 AM

They get off on any attention or ‘harassment’ they may get. That’s part of the kink.

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2021 11:57 AM

He looks like he smells. As do Grace and Danny Lavery. I physically recoiled from both pictures.

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2021 2:22 PM

Both ugly and unfashionable. They look like they are trying to channel Olympia Dukakis in Tales from the City, and failing.

by Anonymousreply 17April 12, 2021 2:25 PM

The fact that Glenn Greenwald posts on Substack is reason enough to quit it.

by Anonymousreply 18April 12, 2021 2:27 PM

It's not because they ran out of snacks?

by Anonymousreply 19April 12, 2021 2:41 PM

Before I look at the link, is he a fat ugly man with a beard?

by Anonymousreply 20April 12, 2021 2:48 PM

All three of them (at both links) are, r20.

by Anonymousreply 21April 12, 2021 4:19 PM

Why, R18?

Because he provides actual proof that the “Russian collusion” narrative is utter bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 22April 12, 2021 4:28 PM

R7 his fiancée / fiancé is trans

So that makes him 400 lb tranny fucker

by Anonymousreply 23April 12, 2021 4:31 PM

What an amazing attractive couple at r13 link

by Anonymousreply 24April 12, 2021 4:33 PM

I misread the title, Why I'm Leaving Tubesteak.

by Anonymousreply 25April 12, 2021 5:15 PM

Did they misspell Starbucks?

by Anonymousreply 26April 12, 2021 5:47 PM

[quote] The Left is trying to destroy civil liberties.

The Right doesn't deserve them.

by Anonymousreply 27April 12, 2021 6:01 PM

From the looks of him he's leaving Substack because he found out they don't sell sub sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 28April 12, 2021 6:09 PM

Fatso has confused Substack with Shake Shack.

by Anonymousreply 29April 12, 2021 7:06 PM

This person really doesn't get the whole free speech thing. Substance is just a newsletter platform people use. This person wants to control what other people say to their own subscribers.

I'm glad Substack hasn't budged. I wish Twitter had shown more backbone on this.

That said, Glenn Greenwald is pretty much a Russian propagandist these days, but I don't begrudge him his Substack.

by Anonymousreply 30April 12, 2021 7:48 PM

Is she a leaving sandwich shop franchise? They make a great Italian BMT.

by Anonymousreply 31April 12, 2021 7:52 PM

Op: What is a basic farm pig picture doing in the thread?

by Anonymousreply 32April 12, 2021 8:09 PM

R22 go back to licking Glenn Greenwald's ballsac

by Anonymousreply 33April 12, 2021 11:20 PM

Yep he looks like he escaped from the farm.

by Anonymousreply 34April 13, 2021 12:14 AM

And we have DRAMA!

The Laverys (pictured above) apparently pissed off the writers that are trying to force Substack to remove accounts they don't like, when they wrote their ode to Substack in the Times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 13, 2021 1:45 AM

more like Shlubstack

by Anonymousreply 36April 13, 2021 1:50 AM

What’s “substack?” Sounds like a sandwich at Subway.

Who’s he? Yes, I know someone already answered, but still, who’s he?

[quote] targeted harassment of individual marginalized people,

Marginalized! Oh my sides! No specimens have ever been more doted over or been the subject of as much hand-wringing as our beloved Trans.

by Anonymousreply 37April 13, 2021 1:57 AM

Is Tankus his real last name? If yes it Seems kind of like a cruel joke from god?

by Anonymousreply 38April 13, 2021 3:16 AM

Tankus and his fiance are one reason why I can't bring myself to hate trans people even if I'm not buying what they're selling. Imagine transitioning to being a "man" just to partner up with an absolute unit who looks like he smells.

The Laverys are another example of an astonishingly ugly and unpleasant couple who you know are completely miserable together.

And they say they're living their best lives. The mind reels at what their lives must have been like in the beforetimes.

by Anonymousreply 39April 13, 2021 3:38 AM

WHY I’M EATING SUBSTACK!!!

by Anonymousreply 40April 13, 2021 4:06 AM

Chortle chortle, r39!

by Anonymousreply 41April 13, 2021 6:55 AM

[quote]Tankus and his fiance are one reason why I can't bring myself to hate trans people even if I'm not buying what they're selling. Imagine transitioning to being a "man" just to partner up with an absolute unit who looks like he smells. The Laverys are another example of an astonishingly ugly and unpleasant couple who you know are completely miserable together. And they say they're living their best lives. The mind reels at what their lives must have been like in the beforetimes.

Grace Lavery was fantasising this week about a trans woman with a uterus transplant being able to have an abortion. Just a natural progression from top surgery.

Calling out this bullshit isn't hating trans people.

by Anonymousreply 42April 13, 2021 7:35 AM

How long until the first trans woman with a uterus transplant becomes addicted to having abortions?

"They make me feel like a real woman!" - Future trans woman

by Anonymousreply 43April 13, 2021 7:45 AM

I can't be bothered to research these people and their strenuous pronoun situations, so please help me out here to follow r39's post: is Nathan Tankus an FTM? And s/he is engaged to a person who is cis? or trans? identifying as...?

I can tell by the picture that the Laverys are both trans.

by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2021 8:56 AM

I read it as ‘Why I’m leaving Starbucks’

by Anonymousreply 45April 13, 2021 8:59 AM

The FRAPPUCINOS ARE TRANSPHOBIX!!!

by Anonymousreply 46April 13, 2021 9:03 AM

I'm having a Starbucks latte right now, r45

by Anonymousreply 47April 13, 2021 4:48 PM

How old is this guy? I think he has bigger problems to worry about than Substack.

by Anonymousreply 48April 13, 2021 4:55 PM

Nice discussion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 13, 2021 5:59 PM

CANCEL EVERYONE!!!!

by Anonymousreply 50April 13, 2021 6:58 PM

I find this public announcements to be like people who announce on DL "BLOCKED" or tell us they're leaving after some perceived (or real, it is DL after all) slight.

Just go and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

by Anonymousreply 51April 13, 2021 7:02 PM

R51 that wouldn't fulfill their desire for 🚨🚨ATTENTION🚨🚨 and DRAMA where they are the stars standing up for (trendy) righteous causes!

by Anonymousreply 52April 13, 2021 11:53 PM

The Streisand Effect for Substack has been substantial.

by Anonymousreply 53April 17, 2021 7:21 AM

Substack is just another blogging platform, just better monetized. The only people who care are self-absorbed journalists like the one quoted in the OP and, on the opposite end of the spectrum, asshats like Glenn Greenwald. Both sides claim they are there to protect open discourse, and as usual, both are doing the exact opposite.

by Anonymousreply 54April 17, 2021 7:42 AM

OP's writer doesn't seem to comprehend how publishers work. They publish a range of opinions, not just yours, sweetie. You have the right to be offended. You don't have the right to wish other authors cancelled. Fuck you, and your narcissism. Good luck with negotiating further obscurity.

by Anonymousreply 55April 17, 2021 8:10 AM

Too hideous to pay attention to.

by Anonymousreply 56April 17, 2021 8:12 AM

[quote]Grace Lavery was fantasising this week about a trans woman with a uterus transplant being able to have an abortion

Who the hell fantasizes about that? For many women, it's not an easy decision to come to. Some even have regrets. Abortion shouldn't be treated as birth control.

by Anonymousreply 57April 17, 2021 9:05 AM

Grotesque fetishists. Worthy of a block/ignore.

by Anonymousreply 58April 17, 2021 1:01 PM

DRAMA

by Anonymousreply 59April 18, 2021 3:13 AM

It’s funny that the two most prominent voices on sub stack, Glenn Greenwald and Matt Taibbi, R very well educated leftists.

They just happen to be smart enough to see the danger posed by freaks pretending to be liberals.

by Anonymousreply 60April 18, 2021 8:38 AM

Glenn isn't a leftist anymore, he's attacking leftists. He built his career not off attacking right wingers, but left wingers. He's anything but liberal. And now he's a rumored Russian asset.

Matt Taibbi also likes to attack liberals, but not as much as Glenn!

by Anonymousreply 61April 18, 2021 11:16 PM

R61

If a right winger is pointing out the problems with other right wingers, are they suddenly left wingers?

Or are you just fucking retarded?

by Anonymousreply 62April 20, 2021 4:01 AM

Anyone falsely accusing progressives of being Russian assets is a paid shill for the Chinese communist party trying to foment war with Russia.

by Anonymousreply 63April 20, 2021 4:25 AM

Wokeism is destroying liberalism.

by Anonymousreply 64April 24, 2021 4:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!