Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Charles Phoenix - Mid-century Retro Guru

I thoroughly enjoy web personality Charles Phoenix, "Mid-century pop culture expert", a flamboyant gay brother with a love of 1950's and 1960's culture. His website is www.charlesphoenix.com . Homes, cars, food, and clothing from that era are all things he enjoys studying and sharing with viewers. His Joyride videos for a number of classic cars from that period are delightful. Here is a sample video of a " dusk mauve metallic" 1960 Imperial Crown. It definitely would have been a favorite of the Gay Imperial Owners Club.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2021 9:47 AM

I enjoyed Charles until I went on one of his double decker bus tours during Modernism Week in PS a few years ago. To say he was a catty bitch was an understatement; it was bizarre and all of us on the bus were appalled and offended by some of the things he said. I already had tickets to his slide show a few hours later, and he was a complete angel at that. I decided then and there I'd never spend any more $$$ on what he's hawking. Other people do the same thing he does and aren't condescending and rude to those paying $100 for a bus tour.

by Anonymousreply 1April 11, 2021 8:58 PM

[R1] Thank you for the heads up! I will enjoy his videos on YouTube and check his books out from our local library.

by Anonymousreply 2April 11, 2021 9:10 PM

Here is the link to his website

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 11, 2021 9:12 PM

Trying again on that link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 11, 2021 9:14 PM

I took my mom and stepdad to his holiday slide show about 15 years ago when they were in LA visiting for Christmas and it was a lot of fun. Not raucously funny or anything, just benignly pleasant and enjoyable. I've never gone back but have recommended it to others.

by Anonymousreply 5April 11, 2021 9:20 PM

I can’t stand him, he’s just too much. I KNOOW! Blech!

by Anonymousreply 6April 11, 2021 9:37 PM

I had to stop watching after he said, “Look at that...” for the 50th time in two minutes. Sounds like a moron, but the car is great.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2021 1:58 AM

He goes on way too long about that Imperial, which was a huge failure in its day. I'd probably think better of him if R1 told use what was so offensive.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2021 2:22 AM

R8, he was just very catty on the bus tour. It was 8AM and we were all tired from parties and functions the night before. At one point he was telling us about something in a neighbourhood, and apparently he wasn't getting the "Oohs" and "Aahs" he wanted. He finally yelled into the bullhorn, "Never mind; obviously none of you care what I'm babbling on about!" It was just bizarre and weird. He also asked me twice if I was partnered with the guy sitting next to me. Both of us were on the tour by ourselves, and besides which, why would it have been any of his business if we were partnered? But again, he was on point in his slide show presentation. But I've never been able to forget how he acted on that bus tour.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2021 4:05 AM

[quote] It was 8AM and we were all tired from parties and functions the

Then you shouldn't have gone.

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2021 4:18 AM

He's fabulous in drag!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2021 5:05 AM

[R1] Do you think he was a "catty bitch" because he didn't have a Daddy poking his hole at the time and was frustrated?

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2021 9:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!