Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Researching Bill Gates

I have to give a one off lecture about Bill Gates and the history of Microsoft to some children.

I am puzzled by why he was such a prick as a businessman, and turned out to be a wonderfully generous and helpful person whom I admire greatly. (Not interested in lunatic conspiracy theories.)

Did he always plan to give the money away?

How well did he personally know S Jobs?

by Anonymousreply 56May 10, 2021 5:55 PM

I get what you are saying. But business is business

If the situations were reversed, the other companies would have probably done the same thing to him

Those tech guys are all a bunch of dicks

by Anonymousreply 1April 11, 2021 9:15 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2021 2:56 AM

I believe his father told him he should start giving money away, around the time of the antitrust case.

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2021 3:06 AM

The classic hypocrite who tells the plebs to rein in their lives to control global warming while gallivanting between his own four or five or however many mansions.

I haven't an ounce of respect for Preacher Bill.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2021 3:23 AM

Why did the father tell him to give money away?

And you have to have respect for his intellect, right?

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2021 5:55 AM

Why should some innate skill standing alone earn respect? Hitler was a brilliant politician, but I don't respect him for that.

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2021 6:05 AM

True story: Bill Gates's original surname was Fences, NOT Gates.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2021 6:07 AM

I read that Melinda is the driving force behind his charitable work but don't recall where, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2021 6:45 AM

If you research him properly, you might not admire him quite so much.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2021 6:51 AM

[quote]If you research him properly, you might not admire him quite so much.

To put it in the mildest way possible.

The reason that there is nothing really out there on his dirty dirty deeds (there is PLENTY) is because he owns everyone.

The B & M Gates Foundation is literally a PR front to scrub all the shit off the walls.

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2021 6:55 AM

Those photos of Gates welcoming MBS to his Medina mansion were telling enough.

But then you see him with Jeffrey Epstein in 2011 AFTER Epstein's conviction and release from prison, and you have to ask just how bright Bill really is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2021 7:19 AM

He wants to bang young Asian chicks with his HUGE COCK with FULL BUSH!

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2021 9:21 PM

Long ago I remember an article exposing the richest people who gave the least to charity or philanthropy. He was high on the list. The Foundation started soon after.

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2021 11:43 PM

He is a selfish fuck who only gives a damn about looking good, not doing good. You are deluded OP.

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2021 11:56 PM

He's doing it to one up Steve Jobs, even in death. Gates will be remembered well after his death for his charitable contributions at this rate. If his foundation actually manages to eradicate Malaria, that will be more important than anything he did with Microsoft.

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2021 12:04 AM

NO, he will be remembered for being the sick fuck who bought up farmland for his fucking GMO garbage.

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2021 2:59 PM

HE HAS A HUGE COCK AND LONG HANGING BALLS AND FULL BUSH!

by Anonymousreply 18May 8, 2021 12:23 AM

I think it’s always good to hear it from those who knew these people intimately. From those early computing days, there is a third man, whose importance in lifting the computing industry off the ground is equal to Jobs’ and Gates’. His name was Scott Peddle, and he designed the 6502 processor that made home computers possible. The 6502 ended up powering the Apple 2, the C64, the Atari 8-bit series, etc. All the big names from that time. He was admired by both Gates and Jobs, the latter recruited him at Apple, but it was a dirty trick by Jobs to deprive Commodore, then a very dangerous competitor to Apple, of their star engineer, Peddle.

Plenty of Peddle interviews on YouTube. My favourite quote of him: “there’s nothing evil about Gates; there’s nothing nice about Jobs”.

by Anonymousreply 19May 8, 2021 1:01 AM

I met Bill back about 1976 at an Altair computer convention. I talked with him for about 15 minutes. He was a total geek back then and you would never guess he would one day be the richest man in the world.

by Anonymousreply 20May 8, 2021 1:04 AM

I've worked for the BMGF in Seattle for years. Melinda and his mother Mary were behind all the philanthropy. Bill is painfully weird and awkward, completely out of touch. If not for Melinda, he'd be living in a hovel eating cheeseburgers every day without showering. All that man is--as far as PR--is because of her.

The Gates Foundation is ALL Melinda.

by Anonymousreply 21May 8, 2021 7:08 AM

He's high functioning Asperger's

by Anonymousreply 22May 8, 2021 7:10 AM

If you make 400,000.00 a year and give 20 a year to charity you are donating more of your income by percentage than Gates.

He is a fraud.

by Anonymousreply 23May 8, 2021 2:31 PM

Who or what is MBS?

by Anonymousreply 24May 8, 2021 2:44 PM

R24, Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman

by Anonymousreply 25May 8, 2021 2:46 PM

^the guy behind the assassination of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

by Anonymousreply 26May 8, 2021 2:48 PM

Just stop it.

by Anonymousreply 27May 8, 2021 2:50 PM

Before his marriage, he was known for being notably unphilanthropic, for only making charitable donations that would benefit his company in some way, like putting money into computer science education.

He became a massive philanthropist sometime after he married, and yes, Melinda has gotten a lot of the credit, who knows how true that is. Perhaps it was his father more than Melina that changed his mind, perhaps that was the point where his personal fortune got so huge he decided it was illogical to just keep amassing more, who knows what goes through the mind of someone on the autism spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 28May 8, 2021 4:20 PM

His father was a eugenicist.

by Anonymousreply 29May 8, 2021 7:21 PM

20 bucks from us would be more by percentage that this disgusting cretin ever gave.

by Anonymousreply 30May 8, 2021 7:36 PM

Havd you seen that fallout shelter of a beach house, OP? Gates is a cheapskate.

by Anonymousreply 31May 8, 2021 7:46 PM

The house belongs to his somewhat ex-girlfriend, not Gates himself, R31. It is unclear if their annual weekends continued once SHE married.

by Anonymousreply 32May 8, 2021 7:48 PM

I dislike him for his involvement in public education and for buying up huge amounts of land in the US. The acreage he owns is now larger than Hong Kong and he shows no sign of stopping. He was the one that forced his way into determining education standards back in the 90s, with no background, and why we're seeing shitty results.

It's weird that some billionaires are given a pass as good guy geniuses because they aren't as upfront about their intentions. They aren't political allies either -- in fact, they're not right or left, but for themselves. Look up their political donations... pretty split down the middle, depending on what they want.

Not saying that BG is any worse than other wealthy tech leaders, but he's not any better either. Many of these billionaires are buying up US acreage, I'm guessing as an investment and for an agricultural tax break. They're dipping their hands into everything they can, but wanting to overtake food supplies in more recent times, which should be seen as somewhat suspect. No, I don't think it's some "conspiracy" -- it's just having a strong self interest in swaying public education and resources.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 8, 2021 8:08 PM

This article sums up his "genius" with standardized testing. He wasted the public's tax money on a system that had flaws right away. Because he's Bill Gates though, no one stopped his interference. 100s of millions wasted of OUR MONEY with no positive results.

"The findings revive questions about whether the country is well-served when America’s wealthiest citizens choose pet projects and fund them so generously that public institutions, policy and money follow — even if those projects are not grounded in sound research. Such concerns have been raised most often about Gates, because he is the largest education philanthropist by far, and because he was a key player in Obama administration education reforms.

Gates, though, was pushing his own ideas for school reform before Obama became president, and he has since acknowledged that none of them turned out as well as he had hoped. In 2014, he gave a nearly hour-long interview at Harvard University, saying, “It would be great if our education stuff worked, but that we won’t know for probably a decade.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 8, 2021 8:16 PM

Gates is heavily invested in fake meat products too, R33. They are not very popular but he procalims they WILL turn a profit. Draw your own conclusions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 8, 2021 10:36 PM

Gates comes from a eugenicist family. Research for yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 8, 2021 10:38 PM

" . . .and turned out to be a wonderfully generous and helpful person."

And by his PR ye shall know him.

by Anonymousreply 37May 8, 2021 10:41 PM

[quote] I have to give a one off lecture about Bill Gates and the history of Microsoft to some children.

Based on your entire op, you don't sound very qualified to give a lecture about anything.

by Anonymousreply 38May 8, 2021 11:19 PM

Beyond Meat is *beyond* where I'm willing to go.

by Anonymousreply 39May 9, 2021 12:15 AM

As he is buying up so much farmland, "meat" may become quite scarce. He said his investment WILL be profitable when he was asked about it and a reporter mentioned how it is not catching on. He seems to have a long game strategy kwim?

by Anonymousreply 40May 9, 2021 12:18 AM

^^^ Buy stock in Ore-Ida. French fries are your friends.

by Anonymousreply 41May 9, 2021 12:43 AM

If he dies tomorrow will anyone care?

by Anonymousreply 42May 9, 2021 3:00 PM

This kind of Gates is decent spam is appearing everywhere these days.

I suspect he hired a PR person to plant garbage like this so that the stupid do not see him for the man he is. He give a shit about nothing but his money and control.

Horrible human

by Anonymousreply 43May 9, 2021 3:18 PM

Worse, it's probably his tax-free foundation that's paying for the PR.

by Anonymousreply 44May 9, 2021 3:28 PM

In France, he is known as Guilleme Gatees

by Anonymousreply 45May 9, 2021 3:43 PM

R16 Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that I think Gates is a good guy, just that he's obviously trying to build a "good" legacy to be remembered by. I'm not sure if the average person would investigate how rotten Gates really is.

Like how Andrew Carnegie might be more remembered these days for his philanthropy (for example, public libraries), than his business dealings.

by Anonymousreply 46May 9, 2021 4:02 PM

"I'm not saying that I think Gates is a good guy, just that he's obviously trying to build a "good" legacy to be remembered by."

Fine by me! Because the fact is, you don't have to be a nice person to do something good. I mean, my job regularly brings me into contact with surgeons, and a lot of them are assholes or have the charm of a teenaged gamer, but they generally spend their careers improving other people's lives. Hell, I'd be dead and crippled myself, if not for a couple of surgeons who fixed a broken leg and ruptured appendix, respectively.

So if Gates isn't nice and lacks "normal" human compassion and still vaccinates billions of children against polio and does other things that benefit other humans... then well done Bill and Melinda Gates! I virtually applaud you both! It would be great if you were also nice to the other people around you, but I know I can't have everything.

by Anonymousreply 47May 9, 2021 4:21 PM

R21 is, I’m pretty sure, 100% right. He benefitted greatly from the women who managed him and corralled him. It’ll be interesting to see what happens now that they’re gone.

by Anonymousreply 48May 9, 2021 4:24 PM

R47 look to results not PR

AP News reports: The World Health Organization says a new polio outbreak in Sudan is linked to an ongoing vaccine-sparked epidemic in Chad – a week after the U.N. health agency declared the African continent free of the wild polio virus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 9, 2021 4:30 PM

No matter what else he does, Bill Gates will always be remembered for the torture and waste he inflicted on the world through his buggy Windows. How he became insanely wealthy selling it while users were stuck trying to get the damn thing to work. Just because he managed to create a defacto monopoly, for a time.

Bezos may have plenty of faults but he made his money building a system that works.

by Anonymousreply 50May 9, 2021 4:31 PM

His plans for all that farmland may be worse, time will tell.

by Anonymousreply 51May 9, 2021 4:35 PM

Because of connections to Duke, I’ve heard a bit about Melinda Gates and she’s is generally well-liked and considered to be the heart behind the Gates Foundation.

I have no real problem with Bill, and won’t go as far as to believe claims of him being nefarious, but I do have an issue with the Foundation in general.

The idea that the world’s problems will be solved by genius billionaires is attractive to the media and some of the public, I can’t think of when that has worked. While what they are doing, trying to tackle some of the big health problems faced by humanity, is admirable I don’t believe that it’s the best way to go about it. Global-scale problems aren’t typically solved by very rich people throwing large sums of money at them. Those large scale problems are best solved by governments and massive sums of money backed by international agreements and legislative actions.

by Anonymousreply 52May 9, 2021 5:08 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 10, 2021 4:43 PM

"Those large scale problems are best solved by governments and massive sums of money backed by international agreements and legislative actions."

I agree, R52, governments are the only parties that can reach an entire population.

But until the day when all the governments of the world get their collective acts together and provide their citizens with the services they actually need, I'm okay if bazillionaires do their best to step in. Better they should be spending their money on vaccinations for the poor of the world than cocaine, you know?

by Anonymousreply 54May 10, 2021 5:46 PM

Gates has always been amoral. Steve Jobs, himself no poster boy for honesty or trustworthiness, thought Gates was one of the more dishonest men in the software industry, which is saying a lot.

by Anonymousreply 55May 10, 2021 5:52 PM

The Grand Solution approach assumes problems do have a grand solution that can be agreed on and implemented across the board. But that sort of veritable certainty rarely exists, though proponents of any given approach will do their best to pretend it does.

A good case can instead be made for letting lots of little solutions, some public some private, compete and challenge each other.

by Anonymousreply 56May 10, 2021 5:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!