Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dead people's products

Who gets the money while the merchandise continues to sell?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 11, 2021 9:06 PM

The funeral parlour, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 1April 11, 2021 3:06 AM

Ka-CHING!

by Anonymousreply 2April 11, 2021 3:14 AM

You can still tune into the Joan Rivers Collection on TSC. Jewellry, clothing, cover up your leg veins skin cream! She's not there in person so often anymore. Just for the big launches. She's getting old.

by Anonymousreply 3April 11, 2021 3:20 AM

They could just have a drag queen play her, #3.

by Anonymousreply 4April 11, 2021 3:29 AM

Has anyone seen The Jackie O Collection? Genuine reproductions in a dark blue velveteen box! Authorized by Coraleen Kennedy herself. You can own fake reproductions of Jackie's fake pearls!! The ear clips. The Cartier bracelet from when JFK came back from fucking Marilyn Monroe. Fascinating history and not copies. These are reproductions!!! Maurice Templeston's housekeepers son's shyster lawyer comes on air and point to pictures of Jakeleen wearing the originals and gives a sad or sweet or sentimental story about their origin. He's really snobby about the provenance.

Because no one knows who the fuck JBK fucking is and she looks so weird in most photos, he's moved on to the Princess of Monaco collection royale. Cuz we all love her. Remember when she went off the cliff with a 2.1 alcohol level? You can buy the watch she was wearing. A replica.

by Anonymousreply 5April 11, 2021 3:49 AM

I always think I've heard the dumbest question ever on DL, and then comes along an even dumber one.

by Anonymousreply 6April 11, 2021 4:26 AM

Melissa has spoken about how QVC wanted her to take over for her mum, but her heart's not in it. So David Dangle--who co-hosted with Joan for years--presents her line now. I'm sure he gets a decent cut, and Melissa laughs all the way to the bank.

For someone like Marilyn Monroe, though, who gets all the $$$ from all the merch with her likeness on it or linked to it? I know there's merchandisers who specialize in dead celebs (like MM, James Dean, and Elvis). But who actually gets the $$$ and where it goes is a good question.

by Anonymousreply 7April 11, 2021 4:26 AM

WTF are you talking about OP? What an incredibly stupid question!

Gloria had heirs, notably her son Anderson Cooper.

Coco Chanel has been dead a long time, her brand continues to sell. The same for many other fashion designers.

by Anonymousreply 8April 11, 2021 4:39 AM

[quote]For someone like Marilyn Monroe

ABS Group bought what they though was the rights to Monroe's likeness, but a court decided Marilyn had no rights to publicity as she was a New York State resident. So ABS bought the right from the photographers estates like Milton Greene and others to control the images they took.

But Marilyn's image is in public domain.

by Anonymousreply 9April 11, 2021 4:45 AM

It's like any asset in an estate: goes as bequeathed in the will or to the heirs if there's no will. Unless sold or transferred before death.

Rights to Albert Einstein's name and likeness for example are held by Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

by Anonymousreply 10April 11, 2021 4:55 AM

There's sometimes ugly battles over profits from names and likenesses of deceased celebrities. Selena Quintanilla Perez is a good example. She didn't have a will, but she had signed over certain property rights to her father prior to her death. Her widower Chris Perez after her death made an estate properties agreement with the Quintanillas and as a result they own her likeness, voice, and name. Years later, drama happened when Chris was trying to develop a TV series based on his book about Selena. Abraham Quintanilla sued Perez and the production company.

I sort of feel bad for Chris Perez. Yes, he entered into estate properties agreement. But, Selena's father is such a greedy asshole and it's hard to feel sorry for him at times. It seemed like when Selena was alive, she was very enmeshed with her stage dad and bandmate siblings and she likely didn't put up boundaries with her family after getting married.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 11, 2021 5:55 AM

Selena wasn't planning on being murdered at 23. Janis Joplin's relatives still effectively stop a film being made about her.

Elvis's life & likeness on the other hand has been pimped out more that Liza Mary Presley's kids on a long weekend at Neverland.

by Anonymousreply 12April 11, 2021 6:03 AM

Lisa Marie pissed away a lot of money from the Elvis estate and I'm sure the Scienos were always happy about her donations.

With Selena, I thought it was hilarious a few years back when some of her fans went nuts on social media because Kylie Jenner wore a Selena shirt. Part of the issue fans had was that Jenner isn't Latina and wasn't even born when Selena was alive. There were a few fans bitching that the Quintanillas should be outraged. I laughed back then because if Jenner was wearing a t-shirt that had a licensed image, the Quintanillas probably didn't give a fuck about the fans' complaints because they made a tiny bit of money off the shirt. A.B. Quintanilla later posted on social media and said it was fine for Jenner to wear the shirt.

by Anonymousreply 13April 11, 2021 8:21 PM

Casper the Friendly Ghost keeps his.

by Anonymousreply 14April 11, 2021 9:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!