Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Melissa McCarthy, Please Stop Making Bad Movies With Your Husband!

ouch! 😲

then again I don't find her particularly funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 12, 2021 11:27 AM

I loved her in Gilmore Girls, but never guessed she'd become a movie star. Frankly, I find that a bit baffling, as I think her appeal is perfect for TV but not film. Oh wait, I did like her a lot in Can You Ever Forgive Me, but that's an outlier for her.

by Anonymousreply 1April 10, 2021 10:15 PM

She's the 22nd greatest actor of our time, according to the NYT!

Keanu is number four.

Meryl, Judi Dench, Glenn Close, Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett, Claire Danes, Helen Mirren, Maggie Smith didn't make the list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 10, 2021 10:30 PM

The article is right. Melissa is really talented and her husband writes roles for her that are all basically the same: Loud crazy fat woman

I would be offended honestly

by Anonymousreply 3April 10, 2021 10:34 PM

Superintelligence was unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 4April 10, 2021 10:39 PM

I loved her in The Heat and Spy. She’s better when she plays off other strong leads.

by Anonymousreply 5April 10, 2021 10:40 PM

I don’t think she is unfunny. I just think she makes unfunny films.

by Anonymousreply 6April 10, 2021 10:41 PM

She's crazy talented, but she doesn't always pick the best projects.

by Anonymousreply 7April 10, 2021 10:56 PM

She’s SO much better when she’s not in her husband’s movies.

by Anonymousreply 8April 10, 2021 11:04 PM

I loved her in "Spy" and "Can't You Ever Forgive Me." Two great and vastly different performances. I agree that she's extremely talented.

by Anonymousreply 9April 10, 2021 11:51 PM

I love it when she hosts SNL because she almost always makes the other actors break into laughter.

by Anonymousreply 10April 11, 2021 12:23 AM

Let me guess, is Melissa McCarthy playing a loud, fat, obnoxious white trash bitch in this movie? I'm just wondering.

by Anonymousreply 11April 11, 2021 1:10 AM

I'm glad people are telling her this.

She is being wasted in her husband's terrible movies. I know it's awkward for the marriage, but she needs admit he sucks and stop working with him.

by Anonymousreply 12April 11, 2021 1:13 AM

[quote] I love it when she hosts SNL because she almost always makes the other actors break into laughter.

How unprofessional.

by Anonymousreply 13April 11, 2021 1:13 AM

Her husband is funny and they did great in Bridesmaids. But yeah, Ben works better in front the camera than behind it.

by Anonymousreply 14April 11, 2021 9:25 AM

Like other's have said - she's very talented but her movie choice of late have been getting worse and worse.

I loved her in Identity Thief.

by Anonymousreply 15April 11, 2021 10:34 AM

This is a terrible film and it’s clear Falcone has no directing talent. Jason Bateman steals the show but that’s due to he and McCarthy having fun screen chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 16April 11, 2021 10:43 AM

Agree. Love her in Spy as was hoping some of that magic with Bobby (FUCK me hard daddy) Carnivale would be in this one but.... let’s just say his scenes and Jason Batemans scenes are the ONLY ones worth watching. The rest is basically a ‘Teen Nick’ (Nickelodeon) made for TV movie. Octavia Spencer is hard to look at. She seems like fetal alcohol syndrome was in her origins (the weird ass Carny eyes). So she’s a brilliant 4.0 scientist yet she’s obese? She can make herself INVISIBLE but not hot like Beyoncé ? Bitch please. Bad casting.

by Anonymousreply 17April 11, 2021 12:34 PM

Not everyone wants to be Helen Mirren. Melissa and her husband want to get paid and as long as these shitty movies are profitable, she'll continue to make them regardless of what some slate.com writer thinks about it.

by Anonymousreply 18April 11, 2021 2:10 PM

She was just phenomenal in CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? I have seen that film 3 times. One of my favorite performances of the last decade. I hope she does another great role soon.

by Anonymousreply 19April 11, 2021 2:16 PM

It's about the $$$$$. Wny else do that shitty drink show with Ina Garten.

by Anonymousreply 20April 11, 2021 2:42 PM

ITA, R18. She’s not that young, anymore, so gotta make that coin while you’re still bankable.

by Anonymousreply 21April 11, 2021 2:49 PM

It's a harsh review but has some truths in it.

And Falcone actually turned in a decent performance in Can You Ever Forgive Me? (He was one of the shopkeepers/buyers, when Lee Israel sold forgeries.)

by Anonymousreply 22April 11, 2021 2:55 PM

[quote]Thunder Force ★½

[quote]I'd like to declare @ benfalcone as the worst mainstream director working today, his output is even more putrid than Michael Bay. He's made five features with Melissa McCarthy now, & seems determined to ruin her career, which is strange because he is her husband. - Stephen Gibbons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 11, 2021 5:11 PM

I was embarrassed for Jason Bateman. I hope he got paid a bunch of money. After seeing him in Ozark and the Outsider. This crap is beneath him.

by Anonymousreply 24April 11, 2021 5:14 PM

To be fair, a lot of Netflix stuff is crap, now.

by Anonymousreply 25April 11, 2021 6:21 PM

Wow, Melissa has a great voice. I had no idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 12, 2021 10:08 AM

R23 worse than Michael Bay?? Too far.

by Anonymousreply 27April 12, 2021 11:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!