Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bill Maher eviscerates Oscars and its nominations which are full of sad and woke movies

Eviscerates, I say !!!

I do not agree with him fully, not even half but he does have a few valid points. What says the Datalounge ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165April 13, 2021 9:23 PM

TRUTH!

by Anonymousreply 1April 10, 2021 5:41 PM

Hollywood is over. They just haven't quite realized it yet.

by Anonymousreply 2April 10, 2021 5:55 PM

Agreed. I watched a bunch of nominated films last week and after I had watched Sound Of Metal, Minari, Nomadland and The Father, my brother texted me to see how my movie watching binge was going and what reccomendations I might have. I texted him back referring to the nominated films as "movies to slit your wrists to."

by Anonymousreply 3April 10, 2021 6:19 PM

Spoilers aplenty, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 4April 10, 2021 6:49 PM

Didn't watch. What movies would he have nominated?

by Anonymousreply 5April 10, 2021 6:54 PM

[quote]What says the Datalounge ?

Oh good lord.

by Anonymousreply 6April 10, 2021 6:55 PM

Remember the 80s and 90s? It was just hit after hit after hit. What the hell happened?

by Anonymousreply 7April 10, 2021 7:08 PM

Same with Broadway. If I wanted to be lectured to, I'd talk to my parents........ and I wouldn't have to spend a couple hundred dollars. Only contemporary theater could produce King Kong as a female empowerment musical.

by Anonymousreply 8April 10, 2021 7:20 PM

Maher's conception of a pre-"woke" Hollywood that made and nominated movies Because They Were Just Good is ludicrous on its face.

by Anonymousreply 9April 10, 2021 7:26 PM

These rules are all so cranky now. Something's missing Billy. Something fun has seeped out of them.

by Anonymousreply 10April 10, 2021 7:37 PM

These "cranky" rules (which few who criticize them have read closely, or at all) are actually incredibly easy to satisfy.

Maher seems to be reverting more and more to his old "libertarian"/asshole straight white pussyhound ways. Hard to believe there were several years there when I found him largely funny and provocative in good ways.

by Anonymousreply 11April 10, 2021 7:42 PM

The Oscars have been a joke from the very beginning. I mean what do you expect from an award that was created by Louis B Mayer to sell movies like canned tomatoes.

Though I do like Wings.

by Anonymousreply 12April 10, 2021 7:44 PM

Because HE is that cranky old man he likely japed at 20-25 years ago.

He is the worst sort of Libertarian/former liberal radicalized in the wake of 9/11. Like the late, unlamented Ron Silver, SNL alum Dennis Whathisname, Arlo Guthrie, and dozens more I could name.

Fuck him and his bathetic "Rules."

by Anonymousreply 13April 10, 2021 7:45 PM

It's sad to me that minorities are FINALLY getting decent representation in the Oscar nominations only when people have stopped going to the movies.

by Anonymousreply 14April 10, 2021 8:02 PM

At least Promising Young Woman's trailer promises some tawdry sex scenes and some hot guys.

by Anonymousreply 15April 10, 2021 8:26 PM

R14 That's the thing though. Minority representation should extend to films that people actually want to see. The vast majority are not interested in docudramas or social justice themes masquerading as entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 16April 10, 2021 8:27 PM

I haven’t really seen any movies from last year. I don’t watch the show that is linked to here.

by Anonymousreply 17April 10, 2021 8:29 PM

I knew in June every winner this year would be non-white, it is MANDATORY. There awards are not for excellence anymore, they're quite openly a quota exercise in wokeness.

Few will watch and fewer will care. The Oscars are killing their brand as quickly as they can.

by Anonymousreply 18April 10, 2021 8:35 PM

[quote]Bill Maher eviscerates Oscars and its nominations which are full of sad

Yes, OP. That was his point. They're all sad movies and maybe the reason people aren't seeing movies is that they don't seem to make good happy ones.

"It's not about entertainment. It's about suffering."

He's right, however. I think these films have their place. It's not about movies that seem to do well at the box office that are exciting and fun. It's about "Oscar Bait" movies that are sad and depressing. Of course you people complained when an action movie with a plot (The Black Panther) got nominated because it was a COMIC movie but it was also a movie that did well at the box office, that people saw, about a subject that hasn't been covered before, that took itself seriously while also being entertaining.

[quote]and woke movies

Right after saying we need more affordable housing for homeless people which is a roundabout way of saying the issues presented in this movies could be eased with a better social net. They make movies about these problems instead of trying to solve them.

by Anonymousreply 19April 10, 2021 8:36 PM

I tend to love darker, depressing movies. So I don't get Maher's objection to those, as I am their target audience. But if the world needs more happy films? Cool. Isn't there a new Top Gun coming out?

I do hate wokeness is movie making. And I think most do.

by Anonymousreply 20April 10, 2021 8:47 PM

yeah, wokeness is dreary. Noticing race and sexuality and power dynamics, all good, all fine, all part of the dynamic of movie making for ages. But wokeness is just a big stupid sledgehammer smashing any subtlety or sense or insight.

by Anonymousreply 21April 10, 2021 8:53 PM

R21, your fellow conservatives feel the same about gay-themed movies, which they also think are "woke"

I don't understand why anyone who is gay would use "woke" as an insult.

by Anonymousreply 22April 10, 2021 8:56 PM

The conservatives on the DL think a woke movie is any movie that acknowledges the existence of non-white people

The same conservatives who bitch about "woke" shit were bitching about Brokeback Mountain 15 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 23April 10, 2021 8:58 PM

there's a difference r22. You can make a gay movie with actual humans, or you can make a woke movie shrieking at everyone that gay people, or these days trans people, are the absolute bestest people in human history and you better fucking believe it.

by Anonymousreply 24April 10, 2021 8:58 PM

The problem with today's movies are that they are just no damn fun. Even the comic book movies have become boring and rote. Who wants to watch people standing in front of a blue screen for two hours?

I'm all for diversity. But for what it's worth, black cinema in the 90's was a golden age. Nothing today comes close to the brevity and depth that decade gave us.

by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2021 8:59 PM

And it is still possible r25. The early years of Superstore managed to be fun and still get the message across. The last year was shit, but for awhile they did it right. Blackish, on the other hand, was very mixed. There were some fun episodes, but sometimes it was just a tiresome lecture.

by Anonymousreply 26April 10, 2021 9:03 PM

Fully agree and so many of the nominated films look dreary. I'm assuming due to theaters closing that the studios didn't release their best in 2020. Last year's Oscar nominated films Ford vs Ferrari, Joker, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, 1917, The Irishman, JoJo Rabbit, Judy, Bombshell, Parasite, Richard Jewell, Marriage Story, Little Women . . . were more diverse and not so bleak.

by Anonymousreply 27April 10, 2021 9:08 PM

People seem to think the Oscars are the People’s Choice Awards. It doesn’t matter if people saw the films or not. Their focus is on acting and directing period. It doesn’t matter how popular they were. This ceremony was closed originally, wasn’t it? Maybe they should go back to that. Drop the televised crap.

by Anonymousreply 28April 10, 2021 9:11 PM

Can I admit I didn't hate Nomadland? Is that permitted?

by Anonymousreply 29April 10, 2021 9:12 PM

Bill's still upset he was snubbed for Best Actor in "Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death "

by Anonymousreply 30April 10, 2021 9:13 PM

Now I want to see that r30

by Anonymousreply 31April 10, 2021 9:14 PM

[quote]Minority representation should extend to films that people actually want to see.

You mean like Will Smith movies, Dwayne Johnson movies, Denzel Washington movies, Kevin Hart movies, Madea movies, Jordan Peele movies, the Creed series, Black Panther, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 32April 10, 2021 9:21 PM

I'd have been more convinced by his crabby diatribe if he had listed 5 or 6 "entertaining" movies that should have been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 33April 10, 2021 9:28 PM

R33 What would those 5 or 6 'entertaining' movies be?

by Anonymousreply 34April 10, 2021 9:33 PM

Bill Maher's stand-up was the last crowd event I went to. He went off on a woman in the audience who yelled "You're a misogynist" at him, turned it into a big 3-minute anti-"woke" rant. It seemed very staged, in hindsight.

I think a "What was your last pre-Covid event?" thread has potential.

by Anonymousreply 35April 10, 2021 9:34 PM

That's what I wonder, r34

by Anonymousreply 36April 10, 2021 9:36 PM

[quote] Of course you people complained when an action movie with a plot (The Black Panther) got nominated because it was a COMIC movie

"you people"

WTF do you mean by that?

by Anonymousreply 37April 10, 2021 9:37 PM

I predict that sad and woke movies are going to be rare for the next couple of years now that people are vaccinated and starting to live normal lives again. They will want to celebrate and watch fun blockbusters again. The last thing they want right now is to watch some depressing movie. Just wait and see.

by Anonymousreply 38April 10, 2021 9:38 PM

Nobody watches that guy anymore

by Anonymousreply 39April 10, 2021 9:38 PM

Who were the two very unattractive Black people whose images were randomly inserted during his monologue, it seemed very strange and obscure and I wasn’t sure what point they were supposed make in reference to the Woke movies?

by Anonymousreply 40April 10, 2021 9:58 PM

I don't understand why DLers (or anyone) think that those of us rolling our eyes at "wokeness" means you're conservative.

I, for one, am not. Never have been, never will be. I'm all about progress; for gays, women, POC. Not to mention I'm for a green economy. Workers rights. Taxing the rich. A big social safety net. Giving immigrants the chance to be here legally and with dignity. Revamping our public education to even the playing field. Health care for all. The list goes on.

I'm a tried and true liberal Democrat. To me, a big part of being a liberal is avoiding dogmatic thought. Dogma = conservatism = fundamentalism = lack of reasoning = control by a few = tyranny.

Wokeness is just a new bible. You believe in it or you die.

Fuck that. And, of course, telling artists what they can and can't create? That's NEVER been a good sign.

But I'm a conservative.

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 41April 10, 2021 10:41 PM

I work in Hollywood and it's a monoculture of people terrified of being labelled as racist. This is not the free environment needed for creative expression. Movies are now a niche artform dominated by woke Lefists who would never have made it working up from the mailroom and working their asses off, as I did. BTW I know for a fact that Maher fucks his interns. This girl I know of was Asian but who know where his tastes run to....

by Anonymousreply 42April 10, 2021 10:54 PM

R42 'I know for a fact that Maher fucks his interns'

Sounds just like a Bill I knew

by Anonymousreply 43April 11, 2021 12:30 AM

Nobody gives a shit what you think, R41.

We’re tired of Bill Maher’s endless repetitive complaints about wokeness. We heard him the first 438 times.

by Anonymousreply 44April 11, 2021 4:46 AM

no we're not r44

by Anonymousreply 45April 11, 2021 4:53 AM

Yes we are, R45

by Anonymousreply 46April 11, 2021 5:07 AM

No we aren't r46.

your turn.

by Anonymousreply 47April 11, 2021 5:09 AM

"Hollywood" ran out of ideas years ago. The franchises and reboots are indicative of an industry in its death throes. The racist, hypocritical "diversity" harangue is simply the final nail in the industry's coffin.

by Anonymousreply 48April 11, 2021 5:17 AM

R42, what grade do they get?

have any of them gotten a job on the show later?

Does he pressure them or just ask?

by Anonymousreply 49April 11, 2021 5:37 AM

Oh great goolymoogly.

The reason more people saw Oscar nominated films of yesteryear is because there were only like 12 MOVIES RELEASED THE WHOLE GODDAMN YEAR.

And you want upbeat movies and new ideas? You think Citizen Kane was a "feel good" movie? You think they turned the novel Gone With the Wind into a movie because "Hollywood is out of ideas?" Pffft.

Holy fuck this is grasping at straws. What a bunch of bitter old queens (maher included).

by Anonymousreply 50April 11, 2021 5:41 AM

It was weird when he talked about feel good movies of yore and one of the first images was Grapes of Wrath.

by Anonymousreply 51April 11, 2021 5:44 AM

R7 You only remember the hits. The 80s and 90s had plenty of shitty movies. You're not looking hard enough if you think good movies are a thing of the past.

by Anonymousreply 52April 11, 2021 5:50 AM

nah r50 there were never just 12 movies released per year. Maybe the first year movies were invented but the studio system churned out tons of films as soon as it got going.

by Anonymousreply 53April 11, 2021 5:58 AM

Oh never mind. I see r50 is that same deranged contrarian. Best to ignore.

by Anonymousreply 54April 11, 2021 5:59 AM

I just want to see nice-looking white people doing interesting things. Is that so wrong?

by Anonymousreply 55April 11, 2021 6:04 AM

R55 In beautiful homes with lovely things.

by Anonymousreply 56April 11, 2021 6:08 AM

Watched Maher for years, no question he changed during the Trump years and his experience with a liberal arts college a while back left a bitter taste in his bong. Now he can't shut up about cancel culture and I guess that's his right, but its also mine to start tuning out. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 57April 11, 2021 6:39 AM

a prick is a prick of course, unless it is,,,, Bill M. of course..... why does such an a hole receive so much slacK? he is creepy as fuck, and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 58April 11, 2021 6:47 AM

R55 is obviously unaware or pretends to be stupid about the Black film industry, which produces films and TV series by, for and about the Black community, where nary a White (or any other race for that matter) can be seen. They are available for free streaming on various online sites.

by Anonymousreply 59April 11, 2021 6:54 AM

R50/r51 not necessarily feel good, just entertaining movies - and for adults. Reds was on there too, not exactly an upbeat movie. Some films were more art than entertainment and vice versa, but never did they all feel like they had to check certain boxes and fill a quota. That was his point.

by Anonymousreply 60April 11, 2021 7:25 AM

He annoys me a lot, and while I used to watch him in the 00s, I just can't now.

Having said that, I agreed with what he was saying to a point. Also, he did show pictures of Schindler's List and 12 Years A Slave among others behind him that would be considered sad and depressing but I thought his point was they were better made, that they weren't just preaching, without enough thought being put into the story.

I watched Us last night. I just thought it was all a good theme with a not very good story. Which makes it dull to watch, I think. In On Writing Stephen King talks about the importance of getting story first, and then layering the themes on top of it, and I think that's when something really shines. Compare Us with Parasite. Both about class. Parasite was really entertaining to watch and you can think about the themes afterwards and really enjoy how well they came together. Us wasn't well made like that, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 61April 11, 2021 7:27 AM

But what about those weird flashes of Black people, were they in the woke movies?

by Anonymousreply 62April 11, 2021 7:31 AM

Thanks for saying it R41. You aren't alone.

by Anonymousreply 63April 11, 2021 7:33 AM

1. A good script. Not available.

2. Compelling characters. Not available.

3. A good film editor. Hard to find.

by Anonymousreply 64April 11, 2021 7:58 AM

The Venn diagram of "good" and "feel good" movies is pretty much two separate circles.

by Anonymousreply 65April 11, 2021 8:13 AM

R62, you must never have watched Real Time. Those other people were guests on his panel that evening. They often insert reaction shots of the guests during Bill's New Rules monologues.

by Anonymousreply 66April 11, 2021 8:20 AM

R66 Thanks, I’ve never seen his show, I thought he was a standup comedian.

by Anonymousreply 67April 11, 2021 8:22 AM

Whoever said there's 12 movies a year once must be 100 and older than Prince Phillip. Even in the 80's there'd be 5 releases per week at least.

by Anonymousreply 68April 11, 2021 8:50 AM

A little off topic. We went to see him in Macon, GA. Partner needed to pee, ticket girl waved us down to the facilities. Then we got waved into the democratic fund raiser that was happening in an exclusive bar on premise.

It was interesting talking to the people that had bought their way in. Such liberals in Macon GA. the liquor was flowing like water and everybody was having a blast.

It gave me some hope.

by Anonymousreply 69April 11, 2021 9:14 AM

Streaming has made Hollywood, and thus the Oscars, irrelevant. Nobody ever cared about the awards, they tuned in for the glamor. But social media has oversaturated us with celebs. Boring.

Awards shows have become 3 hours of political grandstanding. There are too many other choices on TV to stoop to subjecting one's self to that trifling crap.

Bill Maher is trying to prevent another Trump by trying to tell Libs to get over woke culture. Too bad it's falling on deaf ears.

by Anonymousreply 70April 11, 2021 9:39 AM

[quote]Awards shows have become 3 hours of political grandstanding.

It always cracks me up when I remember Ricky Gervais opening by telling people to just accept their award and sit down again as most of them had barely graduated high school and no one cares about their opinions, and was then followed later on by Michelle Williams standing up and giving some long speech about some cause or other.

by Anonymousreply 71April 11, 2021 9:43 AM

Jesus, could he be more of a "Get off my lawn, you woke progressives!" gramps? Will he berate an empty chair on stage next?

The tide is turning against the absolutely toxic status quo of straight, white men doing their best to make minorities feel small and powerless. And Maher has nothing better to do than whine that it's so unfair that white men lose their privilege to be dicks to minorities and have to accept the existence and endure entertainment not pandering to straight, white men. Oh, what a world! *rolling eyes*

by Anonymousreply 72April 11, 2021 11:52 AM

They are fashion shows now, as Glenda Jackson says.

by Anonymousreply 73April 11, 2021 11:55 AM

TOO MANY CAR CRASHES AND CGI MOVIES! Now it’s TOO MANY SAD MOVIES! Can never satisfy old people. Always got to complain about something.

by Anonymousreply 74April 11, 2021 11:57 AM

In general terms he might have a point when in the old days people were entertained by the good guys winning the battle against the bad guys. There was more feel-good entertainment. And that kind of entertainment is still around. It just involves comic book characters and arcs that last for several movies, and TV shows, instead of a single one. We live in a movie (and TV) franchise era where everything's connected to fit the brand and create brand loyalty by creating a fandom demographic and supplying said fandom with new content ready to be consumed by said fandom in a shorter time (incorporating movies and TV shows within the franchise formula).

Maher's attempt of a distinction between happy vs. sad movies is rather silly and simplistic and, to me, it feels like Maher is talking down to his audience like Liberals are as stupid as Deplorables. And, to me, that seems insulting.

by Anonymousreply 75April 11, 2021 12:16 PM

What R2 said.

by Anonymousreply 76April 11, 2021 12:20 PM

Does he provide a list of "woke" films?

by Anonymousreply 77April 11, 2021 12:49 PM

R75 blah blah blah blah zzzzzzzzzzz nothing.

by Anonymousreply 78April 11, 2021 1:30 PM

r78. What a well put together argument. Can't wait for more of your absolutely valid contributions. *rolling eyes*

by Anonymousreply 79April 11, 2021 1:34 PM

It's all bullshit unless I win.

by Anonymousreply 80April 11, 2021 2:07 PM

I listened to the Maher comments a second time - I saw the actual show yesterday - and I have a different takeaway than a number of you guys are giving it.

I'm not hearing him complain about message - or "woke" - films; I hear him complaining about message films that lack entertainment value.

Some posters above (like R55) are bringing up race, but some of the negative examples Maher uses (at least to my understanding) are not about race: Promising Young Woman, Sound of Metal, The Father, Nomadland.

Maher's point is that there is a the relentless amount of suffering and sadness in the overwhelming majority of Best Picture nominees.

His issue could be summed up in his line: "Would it kill you once in a while to make a movie where I don't want to take a bath with the toaster?"

Or this line: "The Oscars, brought to you by razor blades, Kleenex and rope."

Or this: "We all had a rough year. A little escapism would've been appreciated."

The made up example he uses as a logical conclusion is the movie title, "The Immigrant Who Shit in a Coffee Can."

There were examples that he used of old movies that were both entertaining as well as having a message, such as Reds, Do the Right Thing, Milk, Schindler's List & 12 Years a Slave.

His point seems to be that movies can't be just about suffering.

by Anonymousreply 81April 11, 2021 2:09 PM

Complaining about wokeness is usually a sign of racism, and racism is usually a sign of transphobia.

by Anonymousreply 82April 11, 2021 2:13 PM

Bill has an absolute point. It’s hard to imagine movies like Moonstruck and Working Girl being made in this climate. We will be watching those movies for decades... can we say the same about Moonlight or Nomadland or Minari. This year’s crop of films seems like we’ve reached the tipping point where they all feel like one gigantic slog of a homework assignment.

by Anonymousreply 83April 11, 2021 2:16 PM

It's about overcoming adversity. Not being defeated by it. Every movie has a main struggle, a conflict and the lead or leading characters acquiring personal growth, at the end, through their actions throughout the movie. Has that formula changed? I think not.

by Anonymousreply 84April 11, 2021 2:18 PM

I love Nomadland and I've watched it twice already.

So sue me.

by Anonymousreply 85April 11, 2021 2:35 PM

With all the screenwriters stuck in quarantine during 2020 I have a feeling the subject matter will get even worse. Just wait until Hollywood starts releasing movies centered around Covid19. It'll be like that godawful "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" film about 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 86April 11, 2021 2:37 PM

It was a bad year for movies to begin with. I can't think of any better choices for this year's Oscar nominees.

by Anonymousreply 87April 11, 2021 2:40 PM

I’m already hearing that next year’s Oscars will not allow any white actors, producers, or directors to be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 88April 11, 2021 2:40 PM

I didn't find Nomadland as depressing as many made it out to be. After watching it I felt I'd be doing the same thing given the choices of those people at that age. There were sad moments, but overall I found the film somewhat life-affirming.

Same with Sound of Metal. There was just something about the film that gave beauty to what the main character was left with.

by Anonymousreply 89April 11, 2021 2:52 PM

I think Bill Maher should host next year's Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 90April 11, 2021 2:53 PM

R90 - I think we should cancel the Oscars completely.

by Anonymousreply 91April 11, 2021 2:55 PM

R91 I think they should continue for the sake of being able to read about them the next day on DL.

by Anonymousreply 92April 11, 2021 3:06 PM

I found Promising Young Woman, Chicago 7, Sound of Metal, Minari . . . all wonderfully entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 93April 11, 2021 3:45 PM

Who is Bill Maher?

by Anonymousreply 94April 11, 2021 4:03 PM

I laughed when he said people are sick of depressing movies and would rather watch the Motley Crue movie on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 95April 11, 2021 4:45 PM

R94 I’m not Gen Z and I struggle to really know who he is, I guess if you don’t have HBO or TMC or whoever it is he’s on you don’t really know him. It’s not like you come upon his show flipping channels.

by Anonymousreply 96April 11, 2021 4:47 PM

I wonder if he'll go all Glenn Greenwald in Brazil in his dotage.

by Anonymousreply 97April 11, 2021 4:49 PM

What happened to movies isn't rocket science.

Streaming TV happened and the freedom that went with it, and the talented people who used to make movies are now making eight-episode series for Netflix or Hulu and whatever stigma there once was to appearing on a TV series is no more.

by Anonymousreply 98April 11, 2021 4:57 PM

I don't care how "depressing" a movie's subject matter is, if the movie is artfully made I am not depressed at all, but exhilarated. And who would use the word "entertaining" to describe SCHINDLER'S LIST?

by Anonymousreply 99April 11, 2021 5:06 PM

Blacks are 13% of the population but deserve half or more of the nominations. Reparations now! Latinos and Asians are on their own. Black only baby.

by Anonymousreply 100April 11, 2021 5:11 PM

Black voices are the only ones that matter in current media.

by Anonymousreply 101April 11, 2021 5:17 PM

The "tHeSe MoViEs ArE tOo SaD!" argument has been going on forever. Letterman did a joke 17 years ago - something like "I believe it's important to watch some of the films nominated for the Oscars. On Monday, I'll see 'Mystic River'. Tuesday, I'll watch 'House of Sand and Fog'. Wednesday - 'Monster'. And on Thursday, I'm going to kill myself."

by Anonymousreply 102April 11, 2021 5:33 PM

[quote] and whatever stigma there once was to appearing on a TV series is no more.

Except for Barbra. She's pretty much the last of the old school "movie stars don't do tv" holdouts.

by Anonymousreply 103April 11, 2021 5:34 PM

R102, lol. Films reached peak "slit your wrists" realness around the era release of What Dreams May Come, Requiem for a Dream, Dancer in the Dark.

by Anonymousreply 104April 11, 2021 5:35 PM

"Mystic River" was a great film.

by Anonymousreply 105April 11, 2021 5:35 PM

Barbra sits on her ass all day.

by Anonymousreply 106April 11, 2021 5:39 PM

“Just look at that group picture of all the nominees. There’s far too many white faces in there.”

by Anonymousreply 107April 11, 2021 5:42 PM

Has Will Smith ever gotten a nomination?

by Anonymousreply 108April 11, 2021 5:55 PM

R48 Ditto Broadway with its stage adaptations of movies: Tootsie, Pretty Woman, Spiderman, Mean Girls, Misery, Beetlejuice, The Lion King and it's jukebox musicals. Coming to Broadway in the summer of 2022 "Beautiful Noise" a new bio-musical based on the career of Neil Diamond!

by Anonymousreply 109April 11, 2021 5:57 PM

R108 Two.

Best Actor for "Ali" and "The Pursuit of Happyness"

by Anonymousreply 110April 11, 2021 5:58 PM

R96 Granny, ever hear of YouTube or Hulu? Stop with the channel flipping already!

by Anonymousreply 111April 11, 2021 6:14 PM

I saw this. One thing you can say about Bill, he never minces words.

by Anonymousreply 112April 11, 2021 6:15 PM

Has Jada weighed in yet?

by Anonymousreply 113April 11, 2021 6:22 PM

With this old git everything always come back to legalizing marijuana.

by Anonymousreply 114April 11, 2021 6:24 PM

A "Most Popular" Oscar category would be great. Maybe a "Best Comedy" or "Best Musical"...

by Anonymousreply 115April 11, 2021 6:29 PM

Watch: black actors will basically sweep this year. Going beyond population percentages. But next year, if god forbid there are less poc nominees, outrage will ensue.

Even poc need to acknowledge this insanity. Unless they love the total artless bs that wokeness represents.

by Anonymousreply 116April 11, 2021 6:39 PM

If I were an actor I'd probably want to avoid the Oscars completely.

by Anonymousreply 117April 11, 2021 6:39 PM

Somehow, despite Maher’s evisceration, the Oscars will go on.

by Anonymousreply 118April 11, 2021 6:42 PM

[quote] It's about overcoming adversity. Not being defeated by it. Every movie has a main struggle, a conflict and the lead or leading characters acquiring personal growth, at the end, through their actions throughout the movie.

This is true. Which is why Spielberg decided to make Schindler's List a more personal story with moments that were uplifting. There is nothing wrong with showing a character struggling, but audiences like to see the characters overcome adversity.

There is also a preachy element in today's films where the entire aim is to make the audience feel bad for empathizing with the hero. Or to just straight up make the audience feel guilty while getting lost in the irony that the filmmakers are exploiting other people's tragedy for profit and virtue points.

by Anonymousreply 119April 11, 2021 6:57 PM

I actually don’t mind that the vast majority of this year’s films have dark undertones. My problem is with this pathetic virtue signaling that you’re seeing at all these award shows. The far left is all about virtue signaling. They love when someone is the first woman or the first black to do something. This woke exercise is actually insulting to actors of color because these award bodies are essentially saying: “we’re so sorry for our while guilt; here’s a participation trophy.” Woke bullshit that emphasizes diversity over talent is now in colleges, schools, corporations, Congress, major airlines, and even the military. And they wonder why the ratings for the Oscars suck every year.

If Hollywood truly wants to redeem itself and make a strong comeback, they need to do three things. First, make movies that people actually want to see. Don’t just hire POC and say you’re making a movie with a cast that looks like America. Find stories that are interesting and that people actually care about. Second, Hollywood needs to admit its hypocrisy and guilt in regards to protecting its villains - Weinstein, Franco, etc. Third and most importantly, stop with these quota exercises. Make sure representation is equal across the board for everybody. Don’t give an award or a high profile movie role just because somebody has the correct skin color. Also, actors tone down the politics a bit when you accept an award.

by Anonymousreply 120April 11, 2021 6:59 PM

I'm with r120!

by Anonymousreply 121April 11, 2021 7:13 PM

R118 Like the Super Bowl and the Grammys, I suspect the Oscars will see an all time low in viewership even during a pandemic. Go woke, go broke.

by Anonymousreply 122April 11, 2021 7:37 PM

^ ditto the Golden Globes. All tarnished

by Anonymousreply 123April 11, 2021 7:39 PM

[quote]Or this: "We all had a rough year. A little escapism would've been appreciated."

These movies were all well into production way before 2020. Remember, the roaring 20s followed the last pandemic. The world will emerge from this with more hope and happiness. If all else fails, McConnell and Trump will both be dead by the end of the 2020s. Boomers will be gone. Cool GenXers will be the elders. GenZ will tell the Millennials to shut up. All will be well in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 124April 11, 2021 7:46 PM

[quote] It's sad to me that minorities are FINALLY getting decent representation in the Oscar nominations

Doesn't it seem contrived?

Is it out of proportion to their numbers in the population?

by Anonymousreply 125April 11, 2021 8:07 PM

Shouldn't there be more white people in the NBA and NFL, yet all we hear about is the lack of blacks in MLB. If we're going quotas, then it should extend to sports also.

by Anonymousreply 126April 11, 2021 8:17 PM

R108 yes, two too many.

by Anonymousreply 127April 11, 2021 8:17 PM

Also, I want to hear more about this intern thing. Is it consensual?

by Anonymousreply 128April 11, 2021 8:19 PM

[quote]Remember, the roaring 20s followed the last pandemic. The world will emerge from this with more hope and happiness.

The roaring 20s barely lasted 7 years. And what followed then?

by Anonymousreply 129April 11, 2021 9:07 PM

R103 Is Barbra a hold out or are TV and streaming services and their audience not interested in her? Her last feature films were The Guilt Trip, Little Fockers and Meet the Fockers! And before that the dreadful BO dud The Mirror Has Two Faces in 1996!

by Anonymousreply 130April 11, 2021 9:25 PM

^ Not a 'hold out'. More like put on hold indefinitely

by Anonymousreply 131April 11, 2021 9:29 PM

As if people are falling over themselves to get a mannered, puffed up old woman on their show. Maybe she can do Yentl 2: The Aftermath and play a 30 year old Jewish man in turn of the century New York.

by Anonymousreply 132April 11, 2021 9:36 PM

R28 'THEIR FOCUS is in acting and writing period'??????

Have you not heard of THEIR new Oscar diversity standards which is about inclusion not merit?

by Anonymousreply 133April 11, 2021 9:40 PM

[quote]and the talented people who used to make movies are now making eight-episode series for Netflix or Hulu

More likely, eight episodes dragged out to ten episodes that really could have been done in only four but we gotta binge watch the fuck out of every single piece of shit made nowadays.

And be sure to dangle a loose ending or two to ensure at least three more seasons because nobody can get enough of this shit

by Anonymousreply 134April 11, 2021 9:45 PM

How to fix it:

Easy.

Add a new choice to each of the categories. List the nominees along the last choice of "NONE OF THE ABOVE". Perhaps even leave a space for each voter to list who they think SHOULD get the Oscar.

And then give the vote totals for each category.

That would make the show more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 135April 11, 2021 10:13 PM

It is very possible all the actors and the director this year will be people of color.

That should end Jada and her ilks complaints.

by Anonymousreply 136April 12, 2021 4:24 AM

I think the Oscars are tiresome, and I think the worthless satellite industries that the Oscars fuels, like Bill Maher, are tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 137April 12, 2021 5:15 AM

[quote]I just want to see nice-looking white people doing interesting things. Is that so wrong?

Ooooohh, R55, The Hallmark Channel/HMC's Movies & Mysteries is made to order for you!

by Anonymousreply 138April 12, 2021 11:24 AM

[quote]Shouldn't there be more white people in the NBA and NFL, yet all we hear about is the lack of blacks in MLB. If we're going quotas, then it should extend to sports also.

There are mostly white players in the NFL and MLB. There are many black players in the NFL and NBA.

As for the NFL, at the start of the 2020 season, there were 10 black quarterbacks/game managers out of 35 quarterbacks total and that was the most in history.

You're not saying what you think you are about "sports."

by Anonymousreply 139April 12, 2021 11:35 AM

R 139, please do your research.

The study said that the NBA was 18.3 percent white last season, which was 5 percent less than the season before. The league was also a record 22.3 percent international last season.

The data in the chart above, collected by The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport (TIDES), shows that while 70% of NFL players are black, only 9% of managers in the league office are (that’s vs. 13% of Americans overall).

About those numbers. MLB has seen a small increase in the percent of Black players on opening-day rosters this year, with 7.8%, or 80 players, comprising the 30-man rosters, injured and restricted lists, according to analysis by USA TODAY Sports.Aug 14, 2020.

...hence the " concern" about the lack of blacks in MLB.

by Anonymousreply 140April 12, 2021 11:45 AM

R41 Same here. Very liberal but think that distilling people to their skin color is a terrible idea and certainly does the opposite of empowering. Books like Oluo’s Mediocrity: the Dangerous Legacy of White Male America are racist and immaculate: No, it’s not only white American or European men who are racist. There is racism is all all ethnic groups. Yes, there are countless “mediocre” white men...as well as mediocre black men, Asian men, etc. And women. This book got a great review in the NYT.

Then you have someone like Robin di Angelo telling black people they need shrill white fraus like her to speak for them, that any disagreement with a coworker is due to race and that tests for school kids should be made easier for black students. Extremely offensive and condescending. Black people are not a monolith and don’t need things dumbed down for them. I can’t believe anyone buys into this cartoonish “woke” ideology.

We are all responsible for ourselves and blaming our lot in life in life on others is not only futile, but takes away one’s sense of agency. There will always be another guy who is richer, younger, better looking, better connected, etc than you. That’s life. The key is concentrate on yourself, work hard, make the right decisions or correct bad ones, and above all else, do not let yourself fall into the victim mentality trap.

by Anonymousreply 141April 12, 2021 12:09 PM

Inaccurate not immaculate lol

by Anonymousreply 142April 12, 2021 12:10 PM

[quote] There are mostly white players in the *NFL* and MLB. There are many black players in the *NFL* and NBA. You're not saying what you think you are about "sports."

Neither are you.

by Anonymousreply 143April 12, 2021 12:20 PM

Robin DiAngelo has made a nice living for herself with all of this, her bank account's never been better. What she never says is that she lives in a wealthy Seattle neighborhood that's 99% white.

by Anonymousreply 144April 12, 2021 2:27 PM

R144 and yet in her book she calls out and mocks a friend who texts her saying she would be afraid to live in a certain New Orleans neighborhood due to the high crime rate. Di Angelo accuses her of using “high crime rate” as code for black people and says she is racist.

by Anonymousreply 145April 12, 2021 2:44 PM

[R120] An artist should be under no obligation to shape his/her material and characters to conform to political requirements. That's insane. If you legislate the contents of the imagination you won't get art - you'll get propaganda, which most movies now are, unfortunately. Whereas I can see that "representation" might matter some for a sitcom or formula SVU type show, the real artist must be left alone, whatever his/her hue.

by Anonymousreply 146April 12, 2021 3:57 PM

It's a measure of the decline of the movies as an art form that it's being commandeered by the woke mob, who know nothing of art.

by Anonymousreply 147April 12, 2021 4:00 PM

[quote] and yet in her book she calls out and mocks a friend who texts her saying she would be afraid to live in a certain New Orleans neighborhood due to the high crime rate.

Oh fucking hell I've been literally everywhere in New Orleans and trust me there are certain neighborhoods you would never want to set foot in, never mind live there. The world can be a dangerous place, that's just reality.

by Anonymousreply 148April 12, 2021 6:03 PM

Well R148 di Angelo certainly didn’t buy a home there...but somehow her friend is racist for not wanting to either.

by Anonymousreply 149April 12, 2021 6:20 PM

If Maher is so hard up for feel good material he should just stick to the Hallmark Channel.

Most of the major Hollywood releases you would have seen in a given year have been held until theaters can sell most or all of their seats. So it shouldn't surprise anyone that the Oscar list looks the way it does: mostly indie films available at least in part via streaming. In a normal year, at least some of these films wouldn't make the cut.

All of the posters here bitching about "wokeness" and "more Black nominees than their percentage of the population" sound like they've been watching too much Tucker Carlson. Given decades of white-only nominees at the Oscars (far outstripping their percentage of the population BTW) with only occasional representation by any non-white, only the insecure and churlish are complaining.

by Anonymousreply 150April 12, 2021 6:57 PM

[R150] Twisted logic tainted by vengeance disguised as "justice."

by Anonymousreply 151April 12, 2021 7:56 PM

[quote]If Maher is so hard up for feel good material he should just stick to the Hallmark Channel.

But I mentioned in R81, that isn't his argument.

by Anonymousreply 152April 12, 2021 8:42 PM

[quote]His point seems to be that movies can't be just about suffering

But that is my specialty!!! Offscreen and on!!! They called me fat at Julliard!!!

by Anonymousreply 153April 12, 2021 8:43 PM

I went to high school in a high-crime, yes predominantly Black area, not only would I not live in that neighborhood, none of the Blacks I knew with money would send their kids to that high school. They either went private or sent their kids to the Whiter/more Asian school.

Can't stand the DiAngelo types--they have no actual life experience with POC or poor people if any shade, but oh the fucking lectures they live to give.

by Anonymousreply 154April 12, 2021 9:05 PM

I think it's important to have political themes in films. All the best ones do, but they're usually so well mixed into the story and characters that you rarely notice.

Maybe it's a response to the awful Trump White House that did everything in its power to marginalize the marginalized even more than before, but there are ways to bake in political themes without making it seem like a very special episode of Saved By the Bell where the writing is as subtle as a sledgehammer.

I once attended the end of the year screenings of a film school, because one of my friends went there and had made a film she wanted me to see. Before I could get to hers, I saw 2 hours worth of the most pretentious 5 minute films I'd ever seen in my life. They were bringing up important issues like rape, racism, gay rights, abortion, incest, etc. but they refused (or didn't have the time) to give us characters we could root for or relate to. It wanted us to root for them simply because they were a victim of some hate crime or injustice of some sort and that's, frankly, just not good enough. We only care about characters when they feel like people we know - not political pundits spewing out statistics or nameless victims.

I compare it to when you first hear that there's a big tragedy like a school shooting or plane crash. When you hear the news, if you have any empathy whatsoever, you'll think "oh, no. That's awful." But are you going to cry about it? Of course not. Not unless you knew one of the victims. It's only later when you hear their friends and family members talking about them on the news that you start to feel that tug on your heartstrings. Suddenly, victim #12 becomes a real flesh and blood person who had friends, family, dreams, and goals of their own.

This is what a lot of these movies do. They only give you the horrible and tragic part without making you care about anyone going through it. Movies like that usually get forgotten as the years go on.

by Anonymousreply 155April 12, 2021 9:20 PM

R136 Don't count on it. She concerned that her little Willie doesn't have an Oscar!

by Anonymousreply 156April 12, 2021 11:08 PM

Maybe these "Wokes" need to learn about subtext.

by Anonymousreply 157April 13, 2021 6:24 AM

Bill must be gay. why is he thinking about Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 158April 13, 2021 6:25 AM

Longingly envisioning BM taking a bath with his toaster...

by Anonymousreply 159April 13, 2021 7:39 AM

I find DiAngelo to be quite sinister. This whole messing with people's minds thing: "You either say you're a racist and therefore you are, or you say you're not a racist, which is being defensive, and so you are a racist" is sick. It's like something from a novel by Kafka. It used to be that her kind of arguing would be dismissed immediately by everyone because it was a fallacy, now it sells books and creates lucrative seminars. This isn't going to help us as a species.

by Anonymousreply 160April 13, 2021 9:12 AM

R160 I blame the people buying her book and hiring her. I admit, I did read it when it came out in 2018. It’s not well written and it all strictly anecdotal. I was amazed at how it blew up last year. I wonder how many people are posting photos of it in Instagram not because they are convinced of her “arguments” but because they are virtue signaling.

by Anonymousreply 161April 13, 2021 1:24 PM

It's true that the books and films that are lauded and taken most seriously by critics these days are always about tragedy and dysfunction. Not interested, myself. I like beauty, escapism, uplift.

by Anonymousreply 162April 13, 2021 1:49 PM

R161, yeah I get this real feeling it's people wanting to signal to others how good they are as to why they go on about it.

I hate saying it, but a girl I know who I've always thought highly of started going on about what an important book it was for white people to read to understand racism and my opinion of her has never been the same.

Also, when I looked at reviews on goodreads, any fair crticism of the book (I'm not talking 'this books sucks!' but actual well thought out criticism) is met by a heap of people saying: "your comments are exactly why this book is necessary", or "your comments prove the book's point" etc. It's set itself up to, in its own mind, be impossible to criticise. This is happening a lot in discourse now, it's "if you disagree with this, you're an X". It makes me laugh to think of the rage when some of these people go to university and try to write an essay with arguments like that and don't get taken seriously, haha.

Or maybe they do now. Which is a depressing thought.

by Anonymousreply 163April 13, 2021 8:27 PM

R163 I thought this writer summed up my feelings about the book better than I do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 13, 2021 9:17 PM

Thanks R164! An excellent read.

by Anonymousreply 165April 13, 2021 9:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!