Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Weird Argument with Husband

I value DL's input and advice, even if it's mostly cunty. I just had the strangest fight with my husband over what I feel is the stupidest thing, so I ask DL: am I in the wrong?

We have a a 1957 traditional ranch house that we've been slowly renovating since we bought it five years ago. There's a long list of projects, and we've been tackling them as we can.

One of those is the breezeway that connects the house to the garage. The previous owners installed storm windows about 20 years ago to enclose it, and it looks janky. Half of them don't open, so it gets hot. And it's ugly. Replacement windows would be a couple thousand $, and husband keeps saying it's "on the list."

I've had a lot of free time on my hands, and earlier this week I couldn't stand looking at those hideous windows any more, so I removed one of them and built a wooden framed screen to put in its place. It looks great! And I already have the materials so basically free.

Husband saw my test screen, seemed ok with it, so today I did it for remaining windows. Again, he liked it and agreed it was an improvement. Great.

In addition to the windows, there's an old wonky storm door, and pleased with myself with the screens I built, I built a simple wood framed screen door to match and replace the storm door.

Ok here's where it goes off the rails. Husband FREAKED OUT when he saw what I was doing, like slammed the door mad and wouldn't talk to me. So I put the janky storm door back on and went inside.

I've never seen him this angry. He was yelling at me that "this is his house too and he gets to be included in design decisions." He said I was being "disrespectful."

I told him he likes the test screen I did, so I'm confused why the sudden change of tune. He (again, nearly screaming) said yes he hated those old windows and door too, but I shouldn't have taken it upon myself to do that without asking for his input. Again, calling me disrespectful, and wouldn't I be upset if he made a design decision without me?

To be honest, i wouldn't care! It's not like I painted the house a new color or removed the windows with nothing to replace them. AND HE ADMITTED HE LIKED WHAT I DID, but was furious I did it on my one.

So I just sat there, dumbfounded about his contradictory argument. Let me get this straight: you hated the old windows and door, we've talked about replacing them for the past five years, I finally do something about it and he likes how it looks, but he's furious that I went too far and did the door too.

That's fucked up, right? Please convince me otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 106January 31, 2022 4:31 AM

This is not about the doors

Go find out what it’s really about

by Anonymousreply 1April 9, 2021 11:28 PM

The argument isn’t about the replacement door or windows, OP. Deep down, you know that. Look for what lies beneath.

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 2April 9, 2021 11:29 PM

Is he jealous of your skills? Is he as handy as you?

by Anonymousreply 3April 9, 2021 11:32 PM

This really started years ago when you bought cilantro instead of parsley.

by Anonymousreply 4April 9, 2021 11:32 PM

My guess from your tale: There is something about you doing well/skill at home repair that's emotionally threatening. Loss of Alpha status. You are now the butch one?

by Anonymousreply 5April 9, 2021 11:33 PM

Two bottoms should never mate.

by Anonymousreply 6April 9, 2021 11:34 PM

Actually, I think he’s right, OP. If you own the home together you should share your thoughts on re-dos before you do them. It’s just common respect. Apologize and present hole.

by Anonymousreply 7April 9, 2021 11:34 PM

humblebrag

by Anonymousreply 8April 9, 2021 11:34 PM

The worst problem of all of this is the fact that you do not understand BREVITY. Look it up, OP, when you're not too busy making up stupid shit on an anonymous website.

by Anonymousreply 9April 9, 2021 11:35 PM

Quietly pack your things then tonight when he's sleeping, a bullet to his cerebellum. It's the American way :)

by Anonymousreply 10April 9, 2021 11:35 PM

Vodka.

by Anonymousreply 11April 9, 2021 11:36 PM

At some point you should grow up. It's okay to browse the internet without needing feedback.

by Anonymousreply 12April 9, 2021 11:36 PM

Can you imagine if this wasn't fake? Think about if you had a real-life partner, and not just some made-up one - how would you react? Now construct these scenarios on your own, without posting them - how would you react? After you've thought through those scenarios, go lose some weight, get on a dating site, and report back in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 13April 9, 2021 11:39 PM

Tell you husband three words "Get Over It"

by Anonymousreply 14April 9, 2021 11:39 PM

Double down: Tell him you are turning the garage into a woodworking shop

by Anonymousreply 15April 9, 2021 11:40 PM

War of the Roses II: Breezeway Boogaloo

by Anonymousreply 16April 9, 2021 11:41 PM

I’ve actually had this fight before a few times; but I hate my partner so it’s to be expected.

by Anonymousreply 17April 9, 2021 11:42 PM

This tale would have worked better had his blowup happened at a quite classy soiree where he stormed out and slammed a door ot two leaving an awkward silence amongst your guests.

by Anonymousreply 18April 9, 2021 11:43 PM

OP = I hope your husband cheats and finds another husband....His current one sounds like a pain in the ass....

by Anonymousreply 19April 9, 2021 11:45 PM

Turn all the TVs to a basketball game. Hide the remote.

That'll teach him to fuck with a top.

by Anonymousreply 20April 9, 2021 11:49 PM

--- setting fire to the breezeway seems apt at this point

by Anonymousreply 21April 9, 2021 11:50 PM

Is he bigger than you?

by Anonymousreply 22April 9, 2021 11:55 PM

R1 and R2 are on the nose. Adding to that, it’s safe to presume he has anger issues, not to mention maturity issues as well.

For myself, I would never talk to my husband that way, ever, nor he to me.

by Anonymousreply 23April 9, 2021 11:56 PM

I would take an axe,chop everything I replaced down,then tell him "Now YOU go fix it motherfucker!"

by Anonymousreply 24April 9, 2021 11:57 PM

You should have asked about the windows, to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2021 12:00 AM

I'm putting the old janky windows back up in the morning. I honestly wouldn't have cared one bit if he had been the one to improve it; I really don't understand why he's so upset.

by Anonymousreply 26April 10, 2021 12:03 AM

Maybe he's upset that you didn't get the proper permits.

by Anonymousreply 27April 10, 2021 12:04 AM

Side-piece guilt is getting to him hun. Sorry to break it to you.

by Anonymousreply 28April 10, 2021 12:05 AM

Why don't you get into his car and plow right through that fucking breezeway at 100mph.

by Anonymousreply 29April 10, 2021 12:06 AM

R26/OP, don’t be childish. Leave the windows alone and talk to your husband.

by Anonymousreply 30April 10, 2021 12:07 AM

Hubby is upset because you didn't replace them with 1950s Jalousie windows that open when you turn the crank.

by Anonymousreply 31April 10, 2021 12:10 AM

i put up with this bullshit from time to time. it's about control, of course. but it's also about the windows.

stick with your plan. and while you do that, think back to all the things he did without consulting you. hurl it at him like a monkey flinging feces.

and then buy a bunch of wine, get drunk, and realize that you probably have a mortgage. you're locked in. so, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 32April 10, 2021 12:17 AM

I think I may book a flight back home for a couple weeks. I haven't seen my family and friends in three years. Give him some space to think about how he reacted.

And honestly, if I came back home and he made changes to the house I WOULD NOT CARE.

by Anonymousreply 33April 10, 2021 12:31 AM

Yes, you do sound very talented with your home improvement projects.

But did you remember to shower, put on a cheerful frock, and apply fresh make-up...

before you husband came home?

(No one likes a sweaty, demanding bottom with poor hygiene.)

by Anonymousreply 34April 10, 2021 12:33 AM

If he were a straight guy AND this behavior was completely new I would say it was one of a few things. 1- he's having money issues that you don't know about but he now thinks you do and are trying to 'help' and he's offended. 2- he's cheating on you and looking for an out through picking dumb fights.

by Anonymousreply 35April 10, 2021 12:52 AM

So OP - be honest - of all the projects the past 5 years, how many did you do or 'got your way'?

by Anonymousreply 36April 10, 2021 3:01 AM

You should have just dropped to your knees and started sucking op. Now look at how out of hand this has gotten.

by Anonymousreply 37April 10, 2021 4:07 AM

I hope one day you really get married, OP, because this fantasy story is sad.

by Anonymousreply 38April 10, 2021 4:16 AM

He's leaving you. For a woman

by Anonymousreply 39April 10, 2021 4:23 AM

I don't understand why you couldn't have a 30 second conversation along the lines of, what would you think if I did the rest of the windows this way? And I think the door would look so much better if I changed it to this, what do you think?

Putting the old windows back is dumb.

by Anonymousreply 40April 10, 2021 4:29 AM

Your husband sounds like a ragey, immature, control freak. Why do married people put up with this abusive behavior? He thinks very little of you and your feelings, in case you needed the reminder. Get rid of him, or get used to this for the rest of your sorry life.

by Anonymousreply 41April 10, 2021 4:48 AM

R7 is correct, and yet I see from your post at R26 that you still don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 42April 10, 2021 4:56 AM

[quote]And honestly, if I came back home and he made changes to the house I WOULD NOT CARE.

If he's smart, he'll change the locks.

by Anonymousreply 43April 10, 2021 4:59 AM

"I think I may book a flight back home for a couple weeks." MARY!

DON'T put the "janky' windows back up fool. If they're an improvement, they're an improvement.

by Anonymousreply 44April 10, 2021 4:59 AM

0/10

by Anonymousreply 45April 10, 2021 5:58 AM

OP, maybe he thought the wooden door looked too much like a farmhouse instead of a ranch house? Since he mentioned design changes? Did he understand your handcrafted door is a temporary replacement? It's odd the door is what set him off. Beyond this, I agree with others here who say this is about something else: jealousy, hidden financial issues, threatened masculinity, or (heaven forbid) he's wanting to stir a fight as an excuse to end the relationship.

Let things cool off then calmly approach him. Tell him you don't understand what made him so angry about the door, why he approved when you did the same thing to the windows. But I wouldn't act all "yes, dear" wimpy either; he was actually the one being disrespectful with his tantrum. Just be non-confrontational, tell him you thought you were being helpful, you don't understand how you were being disrespectful, and give him a chance to explain himself. I hope you can get things sorted out.

by Anonymousreply 46April 10, 2021 6:28 AM

[quote]r18 This tale would have worked better had his blowup happened at a quite classy soiree where he stormed out and slammed a door ot two leaving an awkward silence amongst your guests.

...and several of the new screen windows then thudding to the ground.

by Anonymousreply 47April 10, 2021 7:32 AM

He might have had a plan and you got to them before he did.

by Anonymousreply 48April 10, 2021 7:39 AM

Your husband smokes meth.

by Anonymousreply 49April 10, 2021 7:46 AM

Buy him a coloring book and some crayons

by Anonymousreply 50April 10, 2021 7:47 AM

This is about ego. The husband wants to be formally asked for permission what is being done to the home owned by BOTH the OP and the husband. Husband feels pushed aside or dominated, and he doesn't like it.

Even if this turns out just to be trolling, I think it's a rather daring to have such a challenging, long-term, couple's project.

by Anonymousreply 51April 10, 2021 7:49 AM

Five years is a long time for these kinds of basic repairs to be "on the list." I'm guessing that husband is insecure and controlling the pace (slow) of these mundane projects is his way of feeling some power.

by Anonymousreply 52April 10, 2021 7:57 AM

[quote] Your husband smokes meth.

If he smoked meth, more of these home improvement projects would be crossed off the list already.

by Anonymousreply 53April 10, 2021 7:57 AM

Yup it's about Jalousie

by Anonymousreply 54April 10, 2021 3:07 PM

OP R26, don’t pretend you don’t know that putting the old ones back up will make it worse. You’re a cunt, not an innocent. There’s obviously a lot of background information missing here.

by Anonymousreply 55April 10, 2021 4:47 PM

All this immature drama makes me remember just why I'm happy to now be VERY single.

by Anonymousreply 56April 10, 2021 4:51 PM

The truth of the matter is breezeways always ruin relationships, they always have and always will. They are a contentious issue.

by Anonymousreply 57April 10, 2021 5:02 PM

I really want to hear how this works out. His reaction makes no sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 58April 10, 2021 9:15 PM

[quote]I think I may book a flight back home for a couple weeks. I haven't seen my family and friends in three years. Give him some space to think about how he reacted.

So you're going to run away instead of talking about it.

by Anonymousreply 59April 11, 2021 1:55 AM

He tolerated your initial craft experiment, which you misread as acceptance and encouragement to do more. He loathes your lack of taste.

by Anonymousreply 60April 11, 2021 2:04 AM

My partner does stuff like this all the time. He gets stuff done, but I would prefer to do it at a higher quality level. However, I acknowledge that a job done decently is almost always better than a to do item on a list.

Never would I go after him for taking action on things I have put off. Don’t put up with this shit, OP.

by Anonymousreply 61April 11, 2021 2:04 AM

I am finding OP to be kind of inflexible. He seems to feel because he wouldn't care about something the husband shouldn't either. He just cannot understand why the husband can't see it his way.

I couldn't live with that 24/7. R1 is righter than ever.

by Anonymousreply 62April 11, 2021 2:10 AM

R58 you realize this is not a true story

by Anonymousreply 63April 11, 2021 2:28 AM

I think OP’s conflicted relationship needs sweepingly discordant background music to underscore its tortured tension.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 11, 2021 5:07 AM

It wasn’t about the door. You fouled up my plan for a line of glory holes on either side of the breezeway.

by Anonymousreply 65April 11, 2021 5:31 AM

There is more to this story, per R! and R2. You are leaving out key details.

OP, why do you have a lot of time on your hands? Are you retired, employed, laid off?

I felt annoyed with you just reading this post. You seem very pleased with yourself. Did you show your husband one screen and mislead him but doing the whole breezeway? Maybe the door was the straw the broke the camel's back?

You are now going away for a few weeks? I hope your name is on the deed.

by Anonymousreply 66April 11, 2021 5:44 AM

OP, why would you just put screens, including just a screen door, on a breezeway.

This sounds to me like it not be secure at all? Replacing windows and a door with just screens?

What about rain or snow (if you are that kind of climate area). Not to mention how easy it would be to simply cut the screen and enter.

by Anonymousreply 67April 11, 2021 6:16 AM

It’s a breezeway R67 not Houston Mission Control - they are often nothing more than a covered walkway.

by Anonymousreply 68April 11, 2021 6:42 AM

OP, my husband does things just like you. He does not talk about it. He just does it.

He does a good job. I just hate him making changes to the house without discussing it first.

Leaving on a trip would piss me off. Suggest you wait this out.

by Anonymousreply 69April 11, 2021 7:14 AM

Maybe it's the screens. You felt validated by your first attempt; he accepted it as you replaced the other panels. But when you ventured to doors - he felt he needed to make a stand.

Don't replace anything. Tell him you thought the changes were a temp fix and ask how he would like to do it. Whatever you do - don't escalate.

by Anonymousreply 70April 11, 2021 7:32 AM

Any updates, OP?

by Anonymousreply 71April 11, 2021 7:50 PM

My husband built a screen door for our Manhattan apartment and I was shocked that I loved the look, feeling and sound of it. Getting it perfectly balanced so it closes on its own is an art. All the neighbors wanted one.

by Anonymousreply 72April 11, 2021 8:23 PM

I used screen doors on the kids' rooms... windows.

by Anonymousreply 73April 11, 2021 8:27 PM

I couldn't afford screen doors for my terraces and had to use fly paper through the summer.

by Anonymousreply 74April 11, 2021 8:31 PM

I wish I'd thought of that!

by Anonymousreply 75April 11, 2021 8:45 PM

I am surprised that, Mrs. Patsy Ramsey, formerly of Boulder did not mention in her above post that there are ways of dealing with cranky family members.

by Anonymousreply 76April 11, 2021 8:47 PM

[quote]....so I ask DL: am I in the wrong?

Oh, dear.

Full statements following a colon, such as this interrogative statement, require an initial capitalization. I add this not for everyone else here who knows better, but to avoid this troubled OP from starting a pointless argument.

by Anonymousreply 77April 11, 2021 8:48 PM

R76, that might be misinterpreted, as an admission of something, for example.

by Anonymousreply 78April 11, 2021 8:49 PM

OP, I'm so distracted with your stupid adjectives that I can't begin to care that you won't make a dime out of selling the dump after what should be your imminent divorce.

You're a pushy Frau no matter where if the nethers are extruded or not.

by Anonymousreply 79April 11, 2021 8:52 PM

Put back the old door and windows and nail them all shut. Only allow entry to your home by climbing a ladder to the roof and sliding down the chimney. Your husband will come around.

by Anonymousreply 80April 11, 2021 8:57 PM

[quote]This is not about the doors

It's about OP's backdoor!

by Anonymousreply 81April 11, 2021 9:08 PM

My husband did something similar once. We were remodeling my bathroom (we have separate bathrooms). We spent a lot of time picking out tiles, paint and cabinets. When I saw the finished result, none of what I had chosen was incorporated. He and the contractor used other materials. I simply hired another contractor to come and do the bathroom over, using what I had chosen. Expensive? Hell yes! But that was the last time he pulled any shit like that.

by Anonymousreply 82April 11, 2021 9:47 PM

Whatever happened with this, OP?

by Anonymousreply 83July 29, 2021 1:01 AM

I fear OP has been murdered by his deranged husband.

by Anonymousreply 84July 29, 2021 1:05 AM

When's the last time you two had sex?

by Anonymousreply 85July 29, 2021 1:06 AM

Bed death.

by Anonymousreply 86July 29, 2021 1:07 AM

I wonder what the husband’s side of this argument is….

by Anonymousreply 87July 29, 2021 1:09 AM

They painted a line down the center of the 4 foot wide breezeway - now the northern elevation has janky screens and the southern elevation has janky storm windows. If one of them steps on the other's side he gets a vicious slap.

by Anonymousreply 88July 31, 2021 4:31 AM

Scat thread. Delete.

by Anonymousreply 89July 31, 2021 4:50 AM

OP. have you asked him yet why he's digging such a big hole in the backyard?

by Anonymousreply 90July 31, 2021 4:51 AM

OP,

When you continued on with the door, I think he felt pushed out of making decisions about his own home, which, of course, is yours. too. He shouldn't have spoken to you that way, but think about sitting down with him, making a list of what you want to do, and then giving him the chance to tell you his views. Then decide upon an option that both of you like. Unless I'm missing something, the house belongs to both of you, and he deserves an equal chance to decide about even small renovations.

Of course, this is if this story is real.

Don't remove the screens in retaliation. That's just petty. So is running away when times get tough.

by Anonymousreply 91July 31, 2021 5:30 AM

NO MORE SCAT EST THREADS!!!

by Anonymousreply 92July 31, 2021 5:34 AM

Always consult your husband before you do Any renovating to your shared home. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 93July 31, 2021 7:13 AM

OP. Be sure to consult your husband before transitioning from MTF.

by Anonymousreply 94July 31, 2021 12:44 PM

This is even worse than the time you bought azaleas without permission, OP.

by Anonymousreply 95July 31, 2021 1:47 PM

OP types fat.

Real, real fat.

by Anonymousreply 96July 31, 2021 2:04 PM

Long breezeways should always be turned into galleries, not screened in porches, you hillbilly. But since you've already wasted all that time fucking things up, why not paint the whole abomination pink or purple or navy blue? Your husband will love you for it.

by Anonymousreply 97July 31, 2021 5:08 PM

OP, you sound like a typical clueless male. Are you sure you're not straight?

Of course you should talk to him about changes.

by Anonymousreply 98July 31, 2021 5:52 PM

SCAT THREAD!

by Anonymousreply 99August 1, 2021 12:38 AM

What's wire hangers doing in this closet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 1, 2021 12:46 AM

[quote]What's wire hangers doing in this closet?

Oh dearing like the rest of us, I'd imagine.

by Anonymousreply 101August 1, 2021 12:51 AM

I would bet that if you had consulted him, he’d have asked you why you were bothering. This is something that became an issue only after you did it and became a focus of something to seethe about for who knows what.

I’ve been dealing with a housemate who is chronically messy and leaves clutter and unfinished projects everywhere. I finally took it upon myself to clean up in the common areas just because it felt and looks better. Instead of appreciating the time and effort, there was obvious resentment, as if I thought it was “my” house. I felt like saying bitch I didn’t redecorate the living room, I cleaned up your messes. Needless to say I no longer clean anymore and won’t until I move out.

by Anonymousreply 102August 1, 2021 1:02 AM

I’m not reading this whole thread, can someone just let me know if this all ended in divorce or murder/suicide, much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 104January 31, 2022 4:04 AM

well, why not apologise and say that next time you'll confer with him about it, ask if he's okay with you doing that?

by Anonymousreply 105January 31, 2022 4:09 AM

If you apologized and re-installed the door then the fight should be over. This is about something else...and he's very passive aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 106January 31, 2022 4:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!