Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marcia Gay Harden suggests Judi Dench was "not happy" that she won the Oscar for Pollock

Dench was up for Chocolat (a performance I don't even remember).

Harden totally deserved to win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217April 20, 2021 1:48 AM

Why would Dame Judi give a shite after she already won for a role she could do in her sleep. Her husband was dying at the time so there's that.

Dench should have won for Iris in 2001

by Anonymousreply 1April 9, 2021 10:18 PM

Pointless. How did Harden realized the unnamed nominee was not happy that she won? Fake news.

by Anonymousreply 2April 9, 2021 10:19 PM

I LOVE Marcia Gay Hardon.

by Anonymousreply 3April 9, 2021 10:20 PM

I hate Judi Dench in winsome mode.

by Anonymousreply 4April 9, 2021 10:27 PM

if anyone had a right to be pissed it is Kate Hudson

Let me say that Marcia 100% deserved that Oscar

However all the pundits were saying Kate Hudson had it in the bag, and Kate probably believed all that publicity. So imagine her shock when Marcia won.

by Anonymousreply 5April 9, 2021 10:30 PM

That cunt stole Dame Walters' Oscar that year. Her performance in Billy Elliot never gets old for me. Pollock was just your usual bland Oscar bait biopic that no one remembers anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6April 9, 2021 10:32 PM

Judi is going to have Marcia killed.

by Anonymousreply 7April 9, 2021 10:34 PM

If I remember correctly Dame Judi was filming a movie with Kevin Spacey in Canada. And Spacey forgot his suit, and asked Judi (who was still in Canada) if she would mind going to his hotel room and retrieving his suit and delivering it to him in L.A.

So maybe she was in a sour mood having to do this favor for Spacey. I just can't imagine Dame Judi being upset about losing. She might have been icy, because she was in a pissed off mood as she was working with Spacey at the time.

by Anonymousreply 8April 9, 2021 10:35 PM

"I'm scared that my career is slipping, so let me rehash something irrelevant from 20 years ago. That'll fix it."

by Anonymousreply 9April 9, 2021 10:36 PM

for fuck's sake / give us the nominees /

Academy Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role Nominees (2001

Marcia Gay Harden Pollock

Frances McDormand Almost Famous

Kate Hudson Almost Famous

Judi Dench Chocolat

Julie Walters Billy Elliot

by Anonymousreply 10April 9, 2021 10:36 PM

Yahoo News, a great source for slop.

by Anonymousreply 11April 9, 2021 10:39 PM

[quote] How did Harden realized the unnamed nominee was not happy that she won?

Dame Judi went right out to the parking structure, bribed a valet to tell her which one was Marcia Gay's car, and took a huge dump right on top of the windshield.

It was a pretty eloquent gesture.

by Anonymousreply 12April 9, 2021 10:43 PM

Don't forget r12, she also peed in the gas tank.

by Anonymousreply 13April 9, 2021 10:48 PM

I agree Dame Julie Walters should have won. Judi in Chocolat was another role she seemed mildly embarrassed to be recognised for, she could have done it with a hangover and no sleep.

by Anonymousreply 14April 9, 2021 10:58 PM

At least I remember the movie Chocolat. I don't remember Pollock at all. Was it a biopic about the overhyped Jackson?

by Anonymousreply 15April 9, 2021 11:04 PM

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia, If you had to blow the Weinstein brothers to get the role, you'd want a bloody Oscar for your efforts too.

by Anonymousreply 16April 9, 2021 11:15 PM

So I checked and Dame Judi's husband died 2 months before this 2001 ceremony. She's on record saying she threw herself into work to cope, including filming that boring Shipping News.

Why does Marcia not consider it might not be about her and realise the woman was grieving?

As if Judi wanted another Supporting Oscar anyway.

by Anonymousreply 17April 9, 2021 11:31 PM

Marcias win was a huge surprise and if you watch the presentation the crowd was thrilled and with her the whole time as was Nicholas cage.

by Anonymousreply 18April 9, 2021 11:46 PM

Kate Hudson was the favorite to win that year, so if anybody was upset it was her.

by Anonymousreply 19April 9, 2021 11:50 PM

The only one who had a right to be pissed over an oscar loss that year was Ellen Burstyn.

by Anonymousreply 20April 9, 2021 11:58 PM

I forgot Marcia existed. As has most of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 21April 10, 2021 12:00 AM

Judi better not fuck with Dana "Star" Lewis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 10, 2021 12:01 AM

Poor Ellen Burstyn even had a facelift done just before that award season so she looked nice and fresh at all the events but in the end her Oscar was snatched from her by that horse mouth whore.

by Anonymousreply 23April 10, 2021 12:01 AM

Surely this warrants a revival of Feud.

by Anonymousreply 24April 10, 2021 12:05 AM

If you watch the clip of Harden winning Dench doesn't look mad at all.

by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2021 12:06 AM

Judi Dench was devastated that her husband was dying and she was forced to go on a publicity tour. I remember Joy Behar (who I usually love) made a mean remark about how miserable she was while she was on The View. I've no doubt she didn't give a fuck about any award.

by Anonymousreply 26April 10, 2021 12:10 AM

Dench had just lost her husband. She's on record saying she was astonished she was even nominated. She was not the favorite to win. Plus she had already filmed "Iris" which was an amazing performance

by Anonymousreply 27April 10, 2021 12:11 AM

R26 I believe her husband had just died? No way would she go on a publicity tour with him dying. She and he seemed to truly love one another.

by Anonymousreply 28April 10, 2021 12:14 AM

If memory serves, Kate Hudson was being rammed down our throats prior the Oscars as a favorites, so her loss to Harden was a happy surprise.

by Anonymousreply 29April 10, 2021 12:15 AM

Judi Dench didn't deserve the award for Shakespeare in Love, much less anything else.

Horrible woman.

by Anonymousreply 30April 10, 2021 12:17 AM

Kate Hudson was the favorite. She has said when she lost Kurt Russell said to her now you just have to really get to work.

She apparently didn't take his advice. Never made another good movie again.

by Anonymousreply 31April 10, 2021 12:22 AM

Dame Judi with her hubby on their wedding day. Her wedding dress is giving me Doctor Zhivago vibes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 10, 2021 12:23 AM

Has anyone mentioned that Kate Hudson was favored.to win? Or that Judi's husband had just died? Whenever a thread goes over 2 replies I zone out and just write what I want because Im incredibly self absorbed.

by Anonymousreply 33April 10, 2021 12:27 AM

Kate should have won her Penny Lane was her only best performance and the best of the bunch.

Ellen Burstyn robbed!!!

by Anonymousreply 34April 10, 2021 12:31 AM

R32 Poor pigmy-sized Judi is pretending to be Tonya.

I know another old lady who got married in the same Tonya dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 10, 2021 12:33 AM

Wow what a weak year for that category.

by Anonymousreply 36April 10, 2021 12:40 AM

Marcia Gay Harden is proof that winning the Oscar doesn't guarantee a great career.

by Anonymousreply 37April 10, 2021 12:42 AM

The winning moment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 10, 2021 12:46 AM

Judi won SAG Julie won BAFTA Kate won GG Fran won CC Marcia won OSCAR

by Anonymousreply 39April 10, 2021 12:50 AM

If I remember correctly, Kate Hudson was the odds on favorite.

Dame Judi... not so much since she had recently murdered her husband.

by Anonymousreply 40April 10, 2021 12:53 AM

Re: Roberts’ win. Do not knock the magic that happens when a certain star (as opposed to an actressy actress) aligns correctly with a role.

by Anonymousreply 41April 10, 2021 12:55 AM

R41, the bra won her that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 42April 10, 2021 12:56 AM

I remember that shitty get up Hudson wore. Plus the press was saying how nice it would be that mother and daughter both would have Oscars. Hudson really wasn’t that great in the part that any young actress could pull off. I think Harden benefited from a split vote in the category since each nominee had won something before the Oscars. Harden won the NY film critics award for supporting.

by Anonymousreply 43April 10, 2021 1:06 AM

Judi is a dear friend and I know her. I am certain she was completely delighted Ms. Harden won.

Because it proved that the Members of the Academy have a wicked sense of humour.

by Anonymousreply 44April 10, 2021 1:16 AM

R37 harden was nominated again 3 years later and won a tony award. She works all the time and will until for the rest of her career. She’s a solid character actress who’s well liked and respected, that’s why she got such a big reaction when she won.

She also benefited from the Pollack screeners being among the last ones to be released.

by Anonymousreply 45April 10, 2021 4:26 AM

huh r45?

She will work for the rest of her career? Yes I guess that is true for everyone since if they stop working their career ends. Big reaction when she won? Not even a standing ovation. (all though this was before they stood for everyone I guess.)

by Anonymousreply 46April 10, 2021 5:08 AM

Marcia Gay Harden is a dreadful actress, overrated and hammy, and her two Oscar nominations are head scratchers since she was this side of late career Laurence Olivier in both of the roles.

by Anonymousreply 47April 10, 2021 5:13 AM

Dear she will work until she drops dead, and yes standing ovations were reserved for legends, now everyone gets one.

She’s not A list, but winning doesn’t vault too many to superstardom.

Hudson’s buzz was dying down before the Oscars and there was some backlash that the press was anointing her as the chosen one and her win was in the can. Also her buzz died down after people started noticing Frances mcdormamd’s work in almost famous and it was far better then Kate Hudson’s.

by Anonymousreply 48April 10, 2021 5:23 AM

Ellen Burstyn's biography discusses how Harden seems to have issues with men. Funny they were both up for Oscars this same year and if Burstyn had gone supporting she'd have easily won.

by Anonymousreply 49April 10, 2021 5:30 AM

They’re adorable R32.

Did they sit atop their own wedding cake?

by Anonymousreply 50April 10, 2021 5:39 AM

Judi Dench was nothing more than a Harvey workhorse. Without Harvey she would never have had the film career that she has had the last 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 51April 10, 2021 5:44 AM

No actor is ever happy when another actor wins an award.

by Anonymousreply 52April 10, 2021 5:45 AM

R52, we are if we've already won the award.

Maybe that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 53April 10, 2021 5:46 AM

Marcia's gotta be doing something right.

She shot our beloved Elliot Stabler (twice, I think) and we still like her.

by Anonymousreply 54April 10, 2021 5:47 AM

R51 Judi Dench has been vastly overpublicized. She was a nobody from 1962 to 1995.

We had no idea who she was.

by Anonymousreply 55April 10, 2021 5:48 AM

George Clooney's acceptance speech at the Oscars.

He's right about comparing art: '

"Wow. Wow. Alright, so I'm not winning Director. It's a funny thing about winning an Academy Award, this will always be sort of synonymous with your name from here on in. It will be: Oscar winner George Clooney, Sexiest Man Alive 1997, Batman, died today in a freak accident....

[bold] Listen, I don't quite know how you compare art. You look at these performances this year, of these actors, and unless we all did the same role—everybody put on a bat suit, we'll all try that—unless we all did the same role, I don't know how you compare it. They are stellar performances and wonderful work, and I'm honored, truly honored to be up here. [/bold]

And finally, I would say that, you know, we are a little bit out of touch in Hollywood every once in a while, I think. It's probably a good thing. We're the ones who talked about AIDS when it was just being whispered, and we talked about civil rights when it wasn't really popular. And we, you know, we bring up subjects, we are the ones—this Academy, this group of people gave Hattie McDaniel an Oscar in 1939 when blacks were still sitting in the backs of theaters. I'm proud to be a part of this Academy, proud to be part of this community, and proud to be out of touch. And I thank you so much for this.

by Anonymousreply 56April 10, 2021 5:53 AM

She was made Dame in 1988, years before she became a Weinstein regular. In the UK she'd be considered a legend today, even without her Hollywood movie career.

by Anonymousreply 57April 10, 2021 5:53 AM

If I remember correctly, Kate was favoured to win, but Judi had just gotten out of prison for the murder of her husband who had died when Judi had killed him.

by Anonymousreply 58April 10, 2021 5:53 AM

I’m sure Judi’s comment will be, “Who...am I?”

by Anonymousreply 59April 10, 2021 5:54 AM

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.

I know how Judi feels....

by Anonymousreply 60April 10, 2021 5:55 AM

Marcus says herself she tends to be overly effusive, I can’t imagine judi being this way. It’s not the British way to be kissing asses at award shows, a simple congratulations will do. Especially hearing her husband had died just two months prior, I’m sure judi had her priorities in order and realised another Oscar wasn’t going to bring him back anyway- so what’s the point really.

by Anonymousreply 61April 10, 2021 5:59 AM

Marcia*

by Anonymousreply 62April 10, 2021 6:00 AM

Judi worked like a Trojan for years.

She had to wait until Peggy Ashcroft died before she got the big roles.

by Anonymousreply 63April 10, 2021 6:01 AM

I like Marcia’s hamminess. It suits her. She’s like an actress with a capital A, like Liz Ashley. She’s a rare breed these days.

by Anonymousreply 64April 10, 2021 6:03 AM

[quote]this Academy, this group of people gave Hattie McDaniel an Oscar in 1939 when blacks were still sitting in the backs of theaters.

Not sure why the Clooney speech was added to this thread but he got in a lot of trouble for that part. Hattie was forced to stay at the back of the theater when she one and then leave immediately. The Academy wasn't as progressive as Clooney said.

by Anonymousreply 65April 10, 2021 6:07 AM

Kate’s momentum had obviously waned by Oscar night because the film was a flop (and isn’t that good anyway). Prognosticators knew the category was ripe for an upset which is what makes Marcia’s win one of the most beloved among Oscar watchers - it’s the last time there was a genuine upset in an acting category.

I have a theory that none of the Academy actually watched Requiem For A Dream - not that Burstyn was going to topple Roberts that year (she wouid’ve been foolish to think so). But she was Requem’s sole nomination - if Academy members had actually watched it, surely Aronofsky & Selby Jr. would’ve received an Adapted Screenplay nod? Production Design, Cinematography? Connelly, who was ignored here in a fairly tepid category but won the following year for a ho-hum performance in A Beautiful Mind? Burstyn’s nomination was out of respect but no one in the Academy actually watched Requiem For A Dream.

I also don’t understand how in this year Linney and Lonergan get nominated for You Can Count On Me but Ruffalo doesn’t. His is one of the best male performances of this era, almost Brando-like in its redefinition of masculinity on screen and yet was ignored in favour of Crowe’s career-ending, two-dimensional posturing in Gladiator.

by Anonymousreply 66April 10, 2021 6:16 AM

I imagine that Kate Hudson was the favorite to win? I don't care for Judi Dench or her singing or twinkling blind eyes. She's creepy with that voice too. Piglet face. Who is she really? Was she in some British soap opera or something? Because there is nothing much grand about her at all.

by Anonymousreply 67April 10, 2021 6:24 AM

[quote]the last time there was a genuine upset in an acting category.

r66 must be punished

by Anonymousreply 68April 10, 2021 6:30 AM

R10, it saddens me that other than Hudson(who I like), Walters is the only name on the list without an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 69April 10, 2021 6:33 AM

Seems like Marcia popped up in lots of things we saw several years ago, but I haven’t seen as much of her since.

by Anonymousreply 70April 10, 2021 6:54 AM

This line in the article really made me laugh.

[quote]Dench, who has been nominated for seven Oscars and won Best Supporting Actress in 1999 for Shakespeare in Love, has not yet publicly addressed Harden's claim.

Seriously, why hasn't she issued a statement via Instagram?

If you look at all the nominations she got where she didn't win, there are 6 Oscars, 17 BAFTAs, 4 Emmys, 10 Golden Globes, 9 individual SAGs, 8 Oliviers.

It gets to a point that you can't remember every nomination you had, let alone who won each time.

And I can't imagine she'd have watched Pollock. She might have been disappointed Julie Walters didn't win - the two Dames have sadly never worked together - and Mrs Wilkinson is the type of role Dench would have played 20 years earlier.

by Anonymousreply 71April 10, 2021 7:38 AM

[quote]It’s not the British way to be kissing asses at award shows,

They do at American award shows. They really put on the British act and act all cutesy and twee. They know this will win them favor with many Americans, especially those in the business who, for some reason, have a hard-on for British actors, especially the more stereotypically British they are.

by Anonymousreply 72April 10, 2021 11:37 AM

Judi Dench isn’t a showbiz survivor for being the sweet daffy woman she pretends to be in talk shows. She will not talk to James Ivory to this day for not making her character a more focal part of the scenes she shared with Maggie Smith in A Room With A View. During CMBYN awards season, she found herself face to face with him and turned on her heel and left the room and it’s 30 years later.

by Anonymousreply 73April 10, 2021 11:41 AM

Ah, you're probably right R28. -R26

by Anonymousreply 74April 10, 2021 11:47 AM

R73 Wow. That makes Dench sound like a complete bitch-diva. I wonder If Machiavellian Maggie had a role to play in that Ivory subterfuge?

by Anonymousreply 75April 10, 2021 11:58 AM

Marcia Gay was just pissed off because Judi had just won a Best Actress Tony. Marcia Gay tried with that long assed gay play a few years ago, but all she could manage was a Featured Actress nomination for Part One.

The last time Judi had been on Broadway was 1959 as an extra in an Old Vic touring production.

by Anonymousreply 76April 10, 2021 12:13 PM

R76 Bitch, I won for Best Actress in a Play!

by Anonymousreply 77April 10, 2021 12:17 PM

I love Marcia Gay Harden and Dame Judi-

I think Marcia was trying to give some fun Hollywood Tea and she really came across badly here...

And I suspect she will be quite embarrassed if she learns what Judi was going through at the time.

By all accounts Marcia is a very kind and classy woman, so I forgive the bitch.

And frankly, her performance was the best out of the 5, although my heart is with Julie Walters.

And fucking Kate Hawn? She played the sweet game but she was beyond heavily favored to win and was probably seething. Despite her acting happy for Marcia. I suspect that Marcia got a decent amount of votes, but Julie and Kate split it.

by Anonymousreply 78April 10, 2021 12:19 PM

[quote]Bitch, I won for Best Actress in a Play!

10 YEARS after Judi won hers. By that point, they were just handing them out to actors who had perfect attendance.

by Anonymousreply 79April 10, 2021 12:21 PM

R66 there have been a few upsets in the last 20 years. Have you forgotten Adrien Brody, Olivia Colman, and Marion Cotillard?

by Anonymousreply 80April 10, 2021 12:23 PM

I remember when Judi was nominated for Notes on a Scandal - one of her best screen roles really- she didn’t attend the oscars as she knew Helen Mirren had it sewn up. She seemed pissed in an interview I saw when discussing she wasn’t going. She said something like, it’s a done deal, so why bother?.

by Anonymousreply 81April 10, 2021 12:42 PM

R78? That’s called winning.

by Anonymousreply 82April 10, 2021 12:43 PM

Nobody considers Olivia Coleman’s win an upset.

by Anonymousreply 83April 10, 2021 12:44 PM

R81, I agree that Dench is great in "Notes on a Scandal", but unfortunately that year Helen Mirren was overdue to win the Oscar so Dench was out of luck.

by Anonymousreply 84April 10, 2021 12:50 PM

Reese Witherspoon had it sewn up and Judi attended that Oscars. Oh well. Maybe she was bored that weekend.

by Anonymousreply 85April 10, 2021 12:57 PM

Classic. I suspect Judi might be closer to her Notes On a Scandal character than we realize. I've often gotten the vibe that she might be a real bitch behind the scenes... Hmmm..

by Anonymousreply 86April 10, 2021 1:06 PM

R83 How was Coleman winning not an upset? Glenn won Critics' Choice, Golden Globe(Drama), and SAG; Coleman won Golden Globe (Musical/Comedy) and BAFTA. Glenn also had the overdue factor and seemed to be the sentimental favorite.

by Anonymousreply 87April 10, 2021 1:27 PM

[quote]I suspect Judi might be closer to her Notes On a Scandal character than we realize. I've often gotten the vibe that she might be a real bitch behind the scenes...

You can see that going back to her sitcom “As Time Goes By” where her character can be very cranky. She’s the British Mary Tyler Moore. Lovable onscreen, but there’s a huge bitch just under the surface.

by Anonymousreply 88April 10, 2021 1:44 PM

I would say harden was the last true out of nowhere win. She wasn’t nominated for any of the precursors and the nomination was a surprise itself.

by Anonymousreply 89April 10, 2021 2:06 PM

R5 I agree about Kate. The character she created in Penny Lane is unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 90April 10, 2021 2:07 PM

"Marcia Gay Harden" is Latin for "excited sissy".

by Anonymousreply 91April 10, 2021 2:12 PM

I remember in one episode of THE UNITED STATES OF TARA, Brie Larson refers to her as 'Marcia Gay Hard-on.'

by Anonymousreply 92April 10, 2021 2:15 PM

Judi, Julie, Frances and Kate were nominated at every major wards.

Kate Winslet was nominated for Quills at the SAG

Catherine Zeta Spartacus Jones was nominated for Traffic at the Golden Globes

Lena Olin was nominated for Chocolat and Zhang Ziyi was nominated for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon at the BAFTAs with Kate Hudson promoted with a nomination in Best Actress

Marcia Gay Harden was nominated at the Independent Spirit awards but the Oscar was the first major nomination.

by Anonymousreply 93April 10, 2021 2:19 PM

“Ellen Burstyn's biography discusses how Harden seems to have issues with men. ”

What woman with half a brain doesn’t?

by Anonymousreply 94April 10, 2021 2:24 PM

R89 I think Adrien Brody usurped Harden two years later. Granted, Brody was nominated for the precursor awards. But no one really expected him or the Polanski best director wins. Plus Brody got a standing o and the audience reaction really dwarfs the Harden win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 10, 2021 2:38 PM

No love for Frances McDormand in her role in Almost Famous? I love her as the fierce, single protective mother. When she tears into Billy Crudup’s character over the phone—it’s a great scene.

by Anonymousreply 96April 10, 2021 2:44 PM

[quote] At least I remember the movie Chocolat. I don't remember Pollock at all. Was it a biopic about the overhyped Jackson?

No Rose, no — it was a scathing expose on the marine fish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 10, 2021 2:51 PM

[quote]She had to wait until Peggy Ashcroft died before she got the big roles.

Actually, it was Glenda Jackson's retirement that Judi had to wait for. The Bond producers tried to sway Glenda to return to acting with Goldeneye. When she turned them down, they went with Judi.

by Anonymousreply 98April 10, 2021 3:01 PM

I haven't seen Dench's film, but I've seen the others and they were all pretty thankless roles and forgettable performances. Harden had been playing a lot of put-upon losers in indie films (when Lili Taylor wasn't playing them), so Pollock was a subtle change from that and perhaps that was good enough to win the prize for her.

by Anonymousreply 99April 10, 2021 3:23 PM

[quote] The Bond producers tried to sway Glenda to return to acting with Goldeneye. When she turned them down, they went with Judi.

Somebody forgot to mention that to the idiot who put this TV ad together:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 10, 2021 3:24 PM

R100 That's so funny! I guess Dench was also unknown in Australia until the latter '90s.

by Anonymousreply 101April 10, 2021 3:35 PM

Judi's favorite flowers are the reckless rose and the tempestuous tulip.

by Anonymousreply 102April 10, 2021 3:40 PM

Judi places scorn upon the common cornflower.

by Anonymousreply 103April 10, 2021 5:17 PM

Hot Take: Judi deserved a nomination for Skyfall.

by Anonymousreply 104April 10, 2021 6:06 PM

Well, she certainly looked amazing. Especially for someone with an unusual, unconventional face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 10, 2021 6:50 PM

^ That's a great dress, though it's simple style and unrelieved color would get her crucified now.

by Anonymousreply 106April 10, 2021 7:39 PM

Great dress, great hair.

by Anonymousreply 107April 10, 2021 7:46 PM

The necklace is just right too. She would have looked underdressed without one with that neckline, but she kept it understated.

by Anonymousreply 108April 10, 2021 8:13 PM

I mind Marsha beautiful. And very classy. Surprised that this thread has so many haters. She is the real deal. Her Dame Judi comments are very unfortunate though. Not good Marsha!

by Anonymousreply 109April 10, 2021 8:24 PM

[quote] Dame Walters

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 110April 10, 2021 9:11 PM

R110 "Oh dear" yourself, you ignorant cunt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111April 10, 2021 9:40 PM

I'm glad to see Judi finally got arrested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 10, 2021 9:54 PM

[quote][R110] "Oh dear" yourself, you ignorant cunt!

It's "Dame Julie," you tosser.

by Anonymousreply 113April 10, 2021 9:58 PM

R112 I'm no fan of Dench but those Ullman satIres are tacky.

This image of her as a harmless naughty old lady is manufactured by her PR people because she's going blind and senile.

by Anonymousreply 114April 10, 2021 10:00 PM

I suspect that Dame Judi is a full fledged BRITISH CUNT WHORE!!! And possibly a total BITCH!!!!!

Her little upturned pigsnout of a nose said all that I needed to hear, Chile!

Total bitch. More Judi Stench stories, please!

by Anonymousreply 115April 10, 2021 10:29 PM

Marcia shouldn’t have said anything publicly but Judi must have done something to elicit her feeling that way.

by Anonymousreply 116April 10, 2021 11:17 PM

MGH won me over in The Spitfire Grill, one of my favorite movies. That's all I have to contribute, carry on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117April 10, 2021 11:36 PM

YES R117. MGH is a goddess. Sad that she did this gossip shit with Yahoo. She is so classy that all is forgiven.

I recall that years ago too, that she lost her nieces in a horrible fire? I just thought of that. It was terrible..

by Anonymousreply 118April 10, 2021 11:40 PM

She's lucky she wasn't nominated alongside Diane Ladd, who would have let the world know on camera how she felt.

No one does a pissed off reaction shot quite like Ms. Ladd.

by Anonymousreply 119April 10, 2021 11:43 PM

Love Diane Ladd!!!!!!!!!!! I would have loved to seen her win for Wild At Heart!

Was that the Whoopi year??

by Anonymousreply 120April 10, 2021 11:45 PM

MGH is a good character actress. Such different characters in “Mona Lisa Smile” and “Mystic River.”

by Anonymousreply 121April 11, 2021 12:31 AM

R120 yes. Diane looked a little relieved last year sitting by Laura and experiencing her Oscar win vicariously through her daughter.

by Anonymousreply 122April 11, 2021 12:37 AM

I’m imagining Diane Ladd and Sally Kirkland menacing MGH in an alleyway, for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 123April 11, 2021 5:18 AM

R123 LOL 😆🤣

by Anonymousreply 124April 11, 2021 5:21 AM

A now morbidly obese Dame Judi sits at home all day surrounded by her cats and rewinding her DVD copy of “The Mist” to watch one scene over and over again...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125April 11, 2021 7:10 AM

Did Judi have a boob job?

by Anonymousreply 126April 11, 2021 8:03 AM

Laura Dern had no business winning that Oscar for that nothing performance.

Julia Walters should have won here.

MGH could the then won for Mystic River instead of Renee Z in Cold Mountain

by Anonymousreply 127April 11, 2021 8:10 AM

FUCK YOU R127

by Anonymousreply 128April 11, 2021 8:14 AM

R126 Probably paid for by Harvey.

by Anonymousreply 129April 11, 2021 9:00 AM

Harvey was fucking Judi.

by Anonymousreply 130April 11, 2021 9:18 AM

There was a story on Popbitch a few years ago that Judi and Charles Dance were fucking when he directed her in Ladies in Lavender.

He was mid 50s and she was mid 60s.

This when when he was dating Sophia Myles, who was in her 20s at the time, before she hooked up with David Tennant.

by Anonymousreply 131April 11, 2021 10:41 AM

And in head this whole time I've had JoBeth Williams! Anyone else mix those two up?

by Anonymousreply 132April 11, 2021 10:54 AM

Hasn't Laura Dern slept with just about everyone? Wouldn't that explain a win?

MGH in "Mystic River" was in the same irritating role she had played a dozen times before--it just had a bigger budget than most of her previous films. BTW, she was in "Mystic River" not "Mystic Pizza"---that was Lili Taylor, the younger somewhat less less successful MGH who got a lot of the safe parts.

by Anonymousreply 133April 11, 2021 11:46 AM

Yes R111, I know she received a damehood but as R113 points out, it's Dame Julie. Don't give the Brits more ammo -- in Tea With the Dames, they laugh themselves silly when Americans refer to them as Dame Dench, Smith, Atkinson, etc. I apologize that my "oh dear" was cunty -- I always find them humorous.

That said, MGH was really wonderful in Barkskins, a show not many seem to have watched.

by Anonymousreply 134April 11, 2021 12:19 PM

Laura’s Oscar was mainly a career achievement Oscar. I love her to death and have no qualms with this. She’s been acting for nearly 50 years and deserves all the acclaim she’s been getting lately.

by Anonymousreply 135April 11, 2021 3:02 PM

Everybody better duck. An American trashing a British National Treasure is cause for another war between the US and the UK.

by Anonymousreply 136April 11, 2021 3:04 PM

I’m glad Kate lost. Her Oscar outfit was a travesty and didn’t merit global attention that evening.

by Anonymousreply 137April 11, 2021 3:11 PM

R136 I'll side with the US on this one. Team Marcia.

by Anonymousreply 138April 13, 2021 6:34 AM

I liked her in The Daytrippers and some of those other 90s indie films, but she was really hammy in most other things i've seen, including this one. I actually found both she and Dench to be the worst in this category. I think Ed Harris could have reigned her in more because his work is really not that bad.

A lot of the best performances didn't even make it (like the aforementioned Connelly, for Requiem rather than Pollock which she was also in).

by Anonymousreply 139April 13, 2021 7:20 PM

Pollock may not be remembered much today because it was a vanity project for Ed Harris and Americans don't care about art history, but MGH was very good and gave an actual supporting performance--she wasn't a mis-categorized lead or an eight-minute cameo.

by Anonymousreply 140April 13, 2021 7:28 PM

Looking back in retrospect, Hudson was out of her depth in the category with those brilliant actresses. I probably would’ve voted for Walters or McDormand, but Harden is a good reliable character actress who can deliver the goods.

by Anonymousreply 141April 13, 2021 8:13 PM

R141 you're supposed to go by the specific performance in the nominated film, not by which actresses you respect more.

by Anonymousreply 142April 13, 2021 8:16 PM

R141 that’s why i said McDormand or Walters. Judi Dench I probably respect the most because she’s had a 50 plus decade career and has done everything from Shakespeare to the Weinstein circuit, but I wouldn’t have voted for her here.

by Anonymousreply 143April 13, 2021 8:26 PM

I can't find it, but there was an interview a few years back with another supporting actress winner, Brenda Fricker? In it, she mentioned that Julia Roberts got up and left when Brenda went to accept the Oscar, and Dianne Weist refused to talk to her.

by Anonymousreply 144April 13, 2021 8:52 PM

Oh, that's nothing. Shelley Winters got up and bolted down the aisle towards the podium when I won. Her husband had to tackle her before she got onstage. After that, she was nicknamed "Hubris" Winters.

by Anonymousreply 145April 13, 2021 9:03 PM

R144 is the implication that Roberts was pissed that she lost? I doubt it. I recall she had a great weekend leading up to the Oscars (when they used to be held on Mondays). PRETTY WOMAN had debuted at #1 that weekend and made Roberts a superstar practically overnight. STEEL MAGNOLIAS, released four months earlier, was also a box office hit and garnered her an Oscar nomination, earning her some recognition, but it was PRETTY WOMAN that really put her on the map. IMO, I think she was flying high during that time to care about losing. Plus, it's not like Roberts was predicted to win.

by Anonymousreply 146April 13, 2021 9:08 PM

R144 that's pretty stinking of those two, especially Diane who had alreadyy won

by Anonymousreply 147April 13, 2021 9:08 PM

It's incredibly sad that Brenda Fricker now looks like Kathy Bates in awful ageing make up.

She talks about the Oscar ceremony at 16 minutes in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148April 13, 2021 9:12 PM

[quote]Brenda Fricker? In it, she mentioned that Julia Roberts got up and left when Brenda went to accept the Oscar, and Dianne Weist refused to talk to her.

To be honest, Brenda Fricker looked pretty scary. Like an IRA terrorist's mother. And I've worked with Mia Farrow!

by Anonymousreply 149April 13, 2021 9:15 PM

Marcia, who what now?

by Anonymousreply 150April 13, 2021 9:44 PM

Oh, dear Marcy, let's not be a cunt about it, shall we?

by Anonymousreply 151April 13, 2021 9:50 PM

R146 Roberts had a pretty good shot at winning. She won the globe. Olin and Huston probably split the Enemies A Love Story vote. And Wiest never had a serious chance of winning. That left Fricker and Roberts. Im sure Fricker and Day Lewis were voted in tandem on a lot of ballots. If PW would’ve opened during the voting period however Roberts would’ve won hands down.

by Anonymousreply 152April 14, 2021 12:41 AM

[quote]R141 Looking back in retrospect, Hudson was out of her depth in the category with those brilliant actresses.

Hasn’t she been out of her depth in about everything she’s done since?

She’s a sputter.

by Anonymousreply 153April 14, 2021 2:37 AM

Fricker was predicted to win. Roberts' globe win was seen as odd since she wasn't even the Best Supporting Actress in her film.

Fricker has had mental issues most her life so her preceptions of Roberts and Wiest might be a bit off.

by Anonymousreply 154April 14, 2021 7:19 AM

Come on, DenCHY! Chin up, DenCHERS!

by Anonymousreply 155April 14, 2021 7:33 AM

Roberts looks really nervous when they announce the winner. She must have thought she stood a chance. Wiest looks really relaxed like she didn't stand a chance and knew it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156April 14, 2021 7:34 AM

I disagree. Harden was a co-lead in Pollock. It was category fraud.

by Anonymousreply 157April 14, 2021 7:42 AM

Julia could well have thought she had a good shot.

by Anonymousreply 158April 14, 2021 5:26 PM

What a nasty thing to say. Dame Judi was mourning her husband and was hardly in a celebratory mood during this time.

by Anonymousreply 159April 14, 2021 6:27 PM

So glad that it didn’t go to either Dench or Hudson. Dench is so fucking overrated and Hudson has proven how extremely one-note she is as an actress. Dench flares her Greer Garson like nostrils and arches an eyebrow and the Academy kisses her wrinkled old ass. Hudson is a complete waste of time onscreen. See how quickly she sank into the Romcom Sea?

by Anonymousreply 160April 14, 2021 6:32 PM

[quote]R159 What a nasty thing to say. Dame Judi was mourning her husband and was hardly in a celebratory mood during this time.

Don’t you think MGH has better firsthand info as to how Dench reacted than anyone here has?

There’s not much reason for her to lie.

by Anonymousreply 161April 14, 2021 7:20 PM

R161 even if it’s true it was 20 years ago. So what? I like Marcia, but I don’t see anything for her to gain by bringing it up. Everyone secretly wants to win anyway or they would stay home. Even Fran McDormand who shows up every time but acts like she’s above it all.

by Anonymousreply 162April 14, 2021 8:25 PM

Yes I remember that year. Oliver Hudson was the favorite to win. Then his husband died.

by Anonymousreply 163April 14, 2021 11:32 PM

Fran McDormand loves awards, she just likes being thought of as too cool for it all

by Anonymousreply 164April 15, 2021 8:57 AM

R140 She isn’t actual supporting’ in it, her part’s huge.

by Anonymousreply 165April 15, 2021 9:09 AM

Am I the only one who liked Hudson's performance?

I wouldn't have given her the award, and sure her career afterward turned out to be one trashfire after another, but she's extremely natural and charismatic in this part. Sardonic, funny, and soberingly moving in the key sequences of the film after her overdose. The "what kind of beer?" scene is incredibly cheesy but somehow, she sells it. IDK, there's a certain charm about her work here that really sparkled on the screen. And I think an accurate portrait of the naive freedom of youth, until the crushing realisation that she is being taken advantage of.

I hear it originally was supposed to go to Sarah Polley, who I think would have been better though.

by Anonymousreply 166April 15, 2021 10:02 AM

How weird! Usually, actors are ecstatic when they lose an award to someone else!

by Anonymousreply 167April 15, 2021 10:04 AM

Who does Judi hate more for beating her to the Oscar?

Helen Cunt, Marsha Gaylord Harden, Hate Blanchett, Halletosis Berry, Helen Misery or Rhys Witheredspoon?

by Anonymousreply 168April 15, 2021 10:31 AM

Yeah Brenda Fucker seems crazy as fuck. Wish I didn’t google her.

by Anonymousreply 169April 15, 2021 10:43 AM

R168 she most deserved to win for Mrs Brown as. she was the best of a not-great group.

She was also terrific in Iris in 2001 and perfection as honorary Datalounger Barbara Covett in Notes On A Scandal but others pipped her.

Also very convincing as a sweet Irish Granny in Philomdna. Very moving.

I don't really rate any of her other nominations as she could give those performances in her sleep.

by Anonymousreply 170April 15, 2021 10:56 AM

[quote]she most deserved to win for Mrs Brown as. she was the best of a not-great group.

Yup. Siskel & Ebert said Dench should have won for Mrs. Brown. Helen Hunt also acknowledged Dench during her acceptance speech.

by Anonymousreply 171April 15, 2021 12:32 PM

Helena Bonham Carter was much better in The Wings of the Dove than Judi Dench was in Mrs. Brown and should have won the Oscar that year.

by Anonymousreply 172April 15, 2021 12:36 PM

[quote] Helena Bonham Carter was much better in The Wings of the Dove than Judi Dench was in Mrs. Brown and should have won the Oscar that year.

Actresses with three names are so...common.

by Anonymousreply 173April 15, 2021 1:27 PM

Julie Christie was good in Afterglow that year. But the film was weird and soapy and I was surprised she got nominated. Loved her performance though.

by Anonymousreply 174April 15, 2021 1:49 PM

Julie Christie should have won, though Judi was a close second.

by Anonymousreply 175April 15, 2021 2:21 PM

Julie Christie is a one-Oscar kinda gal.

I would give Dame Helen the Supporting Oscar for Gosford Park over Jennifer Connelly then give Dame Judi the win for Notes On A Scandal

by Anonymousreply 176April 15, 2021 2:49 PM

R176 I'll take Connelly joke Oscar but keep your fucking hands off my well deserved lead Oscar for QEII.

by Anonymousreply 177April 16, 2021 4:03 AM

Helen Mirren was overrated beyond belief for her ITV Drama performance in The Queen. It was a film originally made for the small screen and should have stayed that way. Mirren could have been thrown a pity TV Guide Award or something.

by Anonymousreply 178April 16, 2021 5:53 AM

R168 Mrs Brown, which gave Judi her first Oscar nod, was originally made for BBC TV. it was deemed too good and given a cinema release instead.

by Anonymousreply 179April 16, 2021 7:06 AM

Because British actors rarely turn down anything, the dividing line between tv and movies there, esp. in the past, was never like it was here. Exceptions like Ronald Reagan's last film, "The Killers" (where he was actually quite good as a mob boss) happened because of content issues like violence---OTOH, that film was made by Universals which was making high gloss schlock on both the tv and movie sides.

by Anonymousreply 180April 16, 2021 12:12 PM

R180 What was OTOH? Please excuse my ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 181April 16, 2021 2:11 PM

R181 OTOH stands for "on the other hand."

by Anonymousreply 182April 16, 2021 2:15 PM

R181 Here....thanks for the response.

by Anonymousreply 183April 16, 2021 2:17 PM

Anjelica Huston's reaction to Whoopi winning is hilarious!

What a fucking cunt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184April 16, 2021 6:48 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185April 16, 2021 7:10 PM

[quote]"I have never met Ms Dench – though if I had, I am certain I would have found her to be as generous and supportive as she is respected,” she wrote.“ I am deeply sorry for anything that would have led anyone to think otherwise.”

I'm sure this effusive PR intervention has Dame J. supportively rolling her eyes and respectfully cackling...

by Anonymousreply 186April 16, 2021 9:48 PM

I've never dated Al...Schweitzer(?), but word comes back from those who have that he's a really great guy.

by Anonymousreply 187April 16, 2021 9:52 PM

Not great group, Mrs Brown? You haven’t seen Helena, the exquisite and devastating Julie Christie, or Kate Winslet in those parts then.

by Anonymousreply 188April 16, 2021 9:54 PM

Oh for heaven's sake, they're both magnificent. And Marcia must have mis-read Judi, who I'm sure couldn't have cared less.

by Anonymousreply 189April 16, 2021 9:57 PM

Judi doesn’t deserve an Oscar just more greedy mouthfuls of Harvey Weinstein cock.

by Anonymousreply 190April 16, 2021 10:02 PM

Angelica Huston's reaction to Ellen Burstyn's win is even better. (first row next to Miss Dunaway)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191April 17, 2021 8:34 AM

Are those Marcia's real tittage in OPs pic?

by Anonymousreply 192April 17, 2021 9:23 AM

[quote] Anjelica Huston's reaction to Whoopi winning is hilarious!

Anjelica is clearly a racist. She would of bin smiling and cheering if one of the priviledged white Beckys had won. This is not even a microaggression. It is all out war on the strong, beautiful and talented Black Queen Whoopi.

by Anonymousreply 193April 17, 2021 10:11 AM

R193: I think she's just petty. She's Hollywood royalty of a sort (her dad was more quirky than the traditional royals like Lew Wasserman) and probably feels entitled. Her own work was pretty uneven and she wouldn't have had a career without her father.

by Anonymousreply 194April 17, 2021 1:16 PM

R194 The same could be said of the spawn of anybody with a parent in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 195April 17, 2021 1:50 PM

To be fair, Angelica was sitting right next to Faye Dunaway who lost to Ellen Burstyn. And Whoopi beat out her Grifters costar Annette Bening (who quite frankly deserved it).

by Anonymousreply 196April 17, 2021 2:06 PM

Um, I think R193 is being sarcastic.

by Anonymousreply 197April 17, 2021 2:09 PM

Dunaway looked sedated in the second video.

by Anonymousreply 198April 17, 2021 3:36 PM

Faye should have been nominated in 1970 for Puzzle Of A Downfall Child, 1981 for Mommie Dearest and 1987 for Barfly. The Academy haven't shown her the respect she deserves.

by Anonymousreply 199April 17, 2021 4:11 PM

Faye turns to Peter Wolf her husband at the time and says I knew it after Ellen is announced as the winner. I guess she had no illusions about winning. It’s weird Anjelica didn’t even clap for Ellen which would’ve been appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 200April 17, 2021 4:14 PM

Ellen should have won in 74 for The Exorcist then Big Faye in 75 for Chinatown. Glenda wouldn't have given a shit at losing for A Touch Of Class.

by Anonymousreply 201April 17, 2021 4:43 PM

Gena Rowlands deserved Ellen Burstyn's Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 202April 18, 2021 4:44 AM

R202- YES. Gena is a goddess.

And I agree about Faye in Barfly above- a beautiful performance. Her best, possibly.

by Anonymousreply 203April 18, 2021 5:24 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204April 18, 2021 7:26 AM

Anjelica and Whoopi are actually friends. Here she talks about Whoopi's "beautiful voice" when they gave Penelope Cruz her Oscar and Whoopi said some kind words.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205April 18, 2021 7:27 PM

I don't think Bening was too pressed about it either (although I imagine she might have been salty at Hilary Swank winning over her twice).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206April 18, 2021 7:28 PM

Marcia Gay Harden is neither gay nor hard.

by Anonymousreply 207April 18, 2021 7:31 PM

I don't think Annette would begrudge Hilary the first win as she was outstanding in Boys Don't Cry but the second win was too much for what is a rather limited actress.

by Anonymousreply 208April 18, 2021 8:13 PM

It feels like Jennifer Garner has gotten the career that Hilary Swank seemed destined for.

by Anonymousreply 209April 18, 2021 8:16 PM

I thought for sure that Bening would eke out a win in 2000. She was heavily pregnant during Oscar season and at the ceremony, which she blatantly showed off. And Warren Beatty was presented with the Irving Thalberg Award that night. Also, Bening had won SAG and BAFTA; Swank had won Golden Globe (Drama) and Critics' Choice.

by Anonymousreply 210April 18, 2021 9:24 PM

As limited as she is Swank (in Boys Don't Cry & Million Dollar Baby) was better than Bening in American Beauty & Being Julia. Annette Bening is a far superior actress than Swank but it boils down to bad luck for Bening losing two times to a very ordinary actress who just happened to have two roles of a lifetime.

Though Imelda Staunton in Vera Drake should have beaten Hilary Swank for Million Dollar Baby.

by Anonymousreply 211April 19, 2021 2:33 PM

I agree about Imelda in Vera Drake

by Anonymousreply 212April 19, 2021 5:57 PM

I'm a British snob and I'm saddened that Dataloungers would use Dame Judi —a stalwart of British Shakespeariana— to prop up the reputation of this American nobody.

by Anonymousreply 213April 20, 2021 1:03 AM

R213 My dear Judi was a nobody until of the UK until I made her.

She has a tattoo on her arse cheek to prove it too.

by Anonymousreply 214April 20, 2021 1:07 AM

She was in [italic]Cats[/italic], so maybe she thought it would be about fish.

by Anonymousreply 215April 20, 2021 1:08 AM

[qoute] Though Imelda Staunton in Vera Drake should have beaten Hilary Swank for Million Dollar Baby.

Staunton was brilliant in Vera Drake. Could Swank hold the screen like this? Could she show her internal thoughts without one word of dialogue? I think not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216April 20, 2021 1:41 AM

R216 Swank had great facial acting ***SPOILER*** especially after she was paralyzed from the neck down halfway through the movie. ***SPOILER***

She was also very believable as a boxer. My family are boxing enthusiasts. I was named after Marvin Hagler.

by Anonymousreply 217April 20, 2021 1:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!