Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Your Opinion Please: Do my own taxes or hire someone?

In the past I've used Turbo Tax and taken the standard deduction and taken care of this online. It's just me and my life is pretty simple. Last year I bought house and heard about all the tax benefits of home ownership. My question is, should I continue doing my own taxes online with Turbo Tax and take the standard deduction or go to a professional?

by Anonymousreply 6April 8, 2021 6:02 PM

Don't rush into anything Give it another month or so.

by Anonymousreply 1April 8, 2021 2:20 PM

I go to a place call Taxes R Us - the guy there really knows his business and helps me a lot. I'll be seeing him this Monday.

by Anonymousreply 2April 8, 2021 2:35 PM

Do them yourself, of course. I use FreeTaxUSA, but they're all mostly alike...they'll walk you through the whole thing question-by-question. If you're living in the home, there shouldn't be anything tricky, because your lender will have sent you all the info you'll need for taxes. If you're using it as a rental property, you may want to go to a professional the first year, because you need to depreciate it, and it can be confusing to set that up. Don't wait, OP, just log-on and do it. Good Luck.

by Anonymousreply 3April 8, 2021 2:57 PM

If all that's changed is itemized deductions, it shouldn't be that much more of a challenge to do it with TurboTax or another type of commercial software (even the free versions.) And remember-- unless you have substantial interest expense and charitable contributions, you might not even be able to itemize.

by Anonymousreply 4April 8, 2021 3:31 PM

Thank you R3. I went to FreeTaxUSA and I think it's better than TurboTax. I appreciate the assist.

by Anonymousreply 5April 8, 2021 5:51 PM

No reason to hire someone - a waste of money. Even using software seems necessary. Unless your mortgage is over $500,000, you will likely just take the standard deduction of $12,000. It’s about 3 numbers to fill in and 3-4 calculations. Even a non math person should be able to do it in 45 minutes - without TurboTax or any software.

by Anonymousreply 6April 8, 2021 6:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!