Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Quantity of Voting is Important, but we need to look at the quality of votes as well

Said by Arizona GOP lawmaker John Kavanaugh. I agree with this statement. In theory, anyway. Anybody else?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 8, 2021 11:42 AM

I know WAPO is paywalled for a lot, here's a different link...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 8, 2021 7:22 AM

Yes, I know the story is from a month ago, but I only recently caught up with it.

by Anonymousreply 2April 8, 2021 7:24 AM

You are a fascist OP.

by Anonymousreply 3April 8, 2021 7:25 AM

No. Not really. He brought up the idea that somebody “totally uninformed on the issues” presents a problem. I totally agree with this statement.

It's the specifics I disagree with. People who watch Fox News and/or Newsmax and nothing else, are getting misinformation. They are making there voting choices based on complete lies. Those people should not be allowed to vote. Not the minorities Kavanaugh is complaining about.

by Anonymousreply 4April 8, 2021 7:27 AM

^^their voting choices.

by Anonymousreply 5April 8, 2021 7:28 AM

R4 that is impossible to enforce. "deplorables who only watch Fox"! The problem is misinformation. Not stopping low information and stupid citizens from voting: They have a constitutional right to vote. You really are a fascist.

by Anonymousreply 6April 8, 2021 7:50 AM

It's a moot point. There's no way the United States could enact a policy where you can only vote if you're "qualified" that would work. It would be constantly abused to disenfranchise voters, and there's no real way to create a workable policy anyway. People who didn't graduate high school are often intelligent, and there are a lot of people with PhDs or MDs who are idiots.

by Anonymousreply 7April 8, 2021 7:58 AM

misinformed = don't agree with me quality of voter= minorities

Meh, this is just some pathetic excuse for voter disenfranchisement. I hope this guy gets brutally beaten to the curb for this comment

by Anonymousreply 8April 8, 2021 8:00 AM

If these GOP assholes believe in "quality" votes, then not a single person who voted for Trump should ever be allowed to vote again. And the same idiots no doubt voted for Palin, too. Low IQ morons.

Do they understand what garbage humans they are that they thought Trump -who wouldn't know the fucking constitution even if Madison himself used flash cards to explain it to him- was qualified to be in elected office because he made those inferior dipshits feel special based on racism and bigotry.

It's ironic that the very people proposing this bullshit exemplify the low quality voter.

by Anonymousreply 9April 8, 2021 8:03 AM

One man, one vote.

Those who deplore the vote of the "uninformed" are often the Big Liars themselves.

Liberals wish to educate the populace; Right-Wingers strive to propagandize.

by Anonymousreply 10April 8, 2021 8:24 AM

This bitch. And who gets to determine “the quality of the vote,” hm? Your retarded ass, I’m sure.

by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2021 8:42 AM

R9, Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 12April 8, 2021 8:52 AM

There's the ideal voter - someone who is curious about every aspect of the world, keeps track of the problems facing our country, reads a variety of experts in each area (Immigration, environment, economy, labor, infrastructure, agriculture, technology, health care, the judicial system), sits down for one-two hours a day with 2 or 3 different newspapers, and who researches and listens to every candidate's platform, reads their websites, investigates their donors, and then votes. That ideal voter represents perhaps .0005 of the electorate. Then there's the rest of the voters in this country. It's a bit sad that people are so heavily influenced by their media of choice, believe their propaganda, and trust their guidance when it comes to voting, but I don't see how you weed out 99.995% of the voters without defeating the very notion of democracy.

by Anonymousreply 13April 8, 2021 8:53 AM

This is an old argument - one that's been use to prevent blacks & women from voting.

by Anonymousreply 14April 8, 2021 9:37 AM

Stupid and uninformed people in other countries can vote and, yet, they do not elect Trump and his neonazis. So, obviously, that's not the issue.

by Anonymousreply 15April 8, 2021 10:35 AM

Women aren't smart enough to vote- Ann Coulter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 8, 2021 10:57 AM

No. You educate people and let them make a choice. We need informed voters, not obstacles and extra requirements to vote. But OP has already shown that she herself might be too stupid to vote under her false belief.

by Anonymousreply 17April 8, 2021 11:36 AM

Same argument used to claim Blacks shouldn't vote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 8, 2021 11:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!