Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kehlani Says She Has 'a Lot of Privilege' as a 'Straight-Passing' Person: 'I've Been Lucky'

She’s hot. Kehlani is shining on their path to success but is also acknowledging the privilege that helped pave the way.

The R&B singer, 25, has been one of the several queer artists to prosper within the current mainstream music scene, with two Grammy nominations and appearances on the Billboard 200 album chart. In speaking with The Advocate for the magazine's cover story, she said she recognize how their "straight and cisgender presenting" privilege has played a part in finding success. "I have a lot of privilege," says Kehlani, who uses she/they pronouns and identifies as queer. "I think a lot of artists who we talk about and say, 'Oh, they had to come out or they had to do this,' a lot of them can't hide it." A lot of it is very [much] in how they present. It's tougher for them," Kehlani said. "It's tougher for trans artists. It's tougher for Black gay men. It's tougher for Black masculine gay women."

While the "Bad News" singer shared on Twitter in 2018 to clarify that she identifies as "queer," she never felt the pressure to come out in her own personal life, mainly due to the way she presents herself.

"I didn't even really have to come out in my private life," said Kehlani. "I don't walk down the street and people look at me and go, 'Oh, I bet she's queer' or 'I bet that she's into women' or anything like that because of the way I present."

"That's all privilege and I think that there are quite a few artists who were truly at the forefront but weren't able to make the strides that I was able to make being 100 percent myself because of the way they present and the biases and the phobias of the American public and the world," she added. "I've been lucky, super lucky."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 23, 2021 4:14 AM

What exactly is “straight passing“? Presence/absence of a caftan?

by Anonymousreply 1April 8, 2021 1:48 AM

Unclockable

by Anonymousreply 2April 8, 2021 1:48 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 3April 8, 2021 1:58 AM

Celia Rubinstein was a friend to all mankind......

WHO!!????

by Anonymousreply 4April 8, 2021 2:20 AM

A Datalounge thread on Kehlani?? Well you don't say!

Kehlani had a baby with Daily Shows' Jaboukie Young-White's brother Javaughn. Both of those brothers are GAY. I think Kehlani might like ladies sometimes, but I wager she likes seeing her man get fucked by another man more. Chile, I guess we calling that queer in 2021. Guapdad 4000 is another one of her besties, and sometimes I feel like there might be some tea on him too 🌈. She has a type for sure!

by Anonymousreply 5April 8, 2021 4:04 AM

Kelani is hot

by Anonymousreply 6April 8, 2021 11:32 AM

Kehlani

by Anonymousreply 7April 8, 2021 11:32 AM

Javaughn is bisexual

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 8, 2021 11:35 AM

Who ARE these people?

by Anonymousreply 9April 8, 2021 11:37 AM

You better show that face in some pussy or shut the fuck up, Kehlani.

by Anonymousreply 10April 8, 2021 11:41 AM

ok r8, she was definitely strapping on for him tho

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2021 1:43 PM

I’m so sick of this shit.

by Anonymousreply 12April 8, 2021 1:53 PM

What?

by Anonymousreply 13April 8, 2021 2:05 PM

Straight privilege because you are straight.

by Anonymousreply 14April 8, 2021 9:18 PM

But she can't hide those hideous tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 15April 8, 2021 9:49 PM

Hideous tattoos

by Anonymousreply 16April 8, 2021 9:52 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 17April 8, 2021 9:55 PM

Javaughn is so beautiful 😍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 9, 2021 2:49 AM

I need tea on Guapdad ☕

by Anonymousreply 19April 11, 2021 6:47 PM

Just to reiterate.......who?

by Anonymousreply 20April 11, 2021 9:59 PM

God bisexuals are fucking ANNOYING. Male or female, they are all raging narcissists.

by Anonymousreply 21April 11, 2021 10:34 PM

I love bisexuals

by Anonymousreply 22April 12, 2021 12:09 AM

Like Kehlani's music. But I rme at her comment during a Vogue video saying trans women were the best at doing make-up.

by Anonymousreply 23April 12, 2021 1:15 PM

TMZ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2021 1:53 AM

Javaughan is indeed handsome. Does he make music?

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2021 2:03 AM

r25 all I know is that he's a guitarist a la his social media, if he can sing as well I dont see why he aint a huge star

by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2021 2:47 AM

A big neck tattoo and tattoos covering hands and fingers can say a lot about a person

by Anonymousreply 27April 23, 2021 3:43 AM

She's gorgeous even with the tatts. The parents are chill with no drama so good for them. Is that wacky Lauren Hill on her arm?

by Anonymousreply 28April 23, 2021 4:12 AM

No clue who or what she is.

by Anonymousreply 29April 23, 2021 4:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!