Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Looking for a Sugar Daddy in the 1950's

I wonder what magazine this would have appeared in?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 12, 2021 6:04 PM

I vant a green card.

by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2021 10:39 PM

I hope he found his friend and lives happily ever after.

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2021 10:41 PM

I'll bet he succeeded

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2021 10:42 PM

I’m a fag who needs a dad 🤡

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2021 10:43 PM

Member of the homosexual-club?

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2021 10:46 PM

He's a DLer for sure.

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2021 10:47 PM

He English better me.

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 10:49 PM

He only wants generous friends.

by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2021 10:49 PM

I wonder if he is still alive and what kind of life he was able to make for himself.

by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2021 10:49 PM

Don’t knock it. It vorked for me.

by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2021 10:50 PM

I didn’t find Nofodden in Norway, but there is Notodden. Homosexual-club? Gay club?

by Anonymousreply 11April 7, 2021 10:50 PM

I wonder why he didn’t want friends his own age.

by Anonymousreply 12April 7, 2021 10:52 PM

Brave guy, homosexuality became legal in Norway in 1972 but in the other hand back then the add wouldn’t have found its way back to a small village in Norway.

by Anonymousreply 13April 7, 2021 10:53 PM

You had me at "Mr. D"

by Anonymousreply 14April 7, 2021 10:54 PM

Because everyone his own age is poor, R12. And generally not very hairy.

by Anonymousreply 15April 7, 2021 10:54 PM

He posted the wrong picture. I wanna see that dick and ass!

by Anonymousreply 16April 7, 2021 10:59 PM

He should have shared a photo of his coin slot like they do on Grndr.

by Anonymousreply 17April 7, 2021 11:14 PM

In related news Norway had a homo-club in the 50’s.

by Anonymousreply 18April 7, 2021 11:47 PM

Europeans are so progressive with their exemplary healthcare, their free tuition, and their homo-clubs!

by Anonymousreply 19April 8, 2021 12:13 AM

What does a homo club do, besides the obvious?

by Anonymousreply 20April 8, 2021 12:15 AM

why, kvetch about marginalization of course!

by Anonymousreply 21April 8, 2021 12:16 AM

His letter and more are at the end of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 8, 2021 12:24 AM

R22 - wow, good find!

by Anonymousreply 23April 8, 2021 12:45 AM

Maybe 70 years from now people will be looking back on some of our Grindr ads.

by Anonymousreply 24April 8, 2021 12:49 AM

At least he’s not from a SHITHOLE country!

by Anonymousreply 25April 8, 2021 12:54 AM

Norway was very poor in the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 26April 8, 2021 1:34 AM

[quote] Member of the homosexual-club?

That is a f*cking 10/10 at Datalounge. I am going to be sure to add that to my introductions on Zoom calls.

by Anonymousreply 27April 8, 2021 1:41 AM

Miss Lindzbelle's first ad in the early 70s:

Beautiful, almost virgin, young lady looking for older man age 50+. Interests include politics, shooting rifles at the gun range, attired in fashionable dresses and wearing sexy and frilly lingerie. This southern debutante will be going places, and needs a strong, confident, and very successful man with gentlemanly manners that knows how to treat a special lady.

by Anonymousreply 28April 8, 2021 2:09 AM

Scandinavians were always very open sexually. Not surprising. As a kid in the fifties, I didn't know there was such a thing!

by Anonymousreply 29April 8, 2021 2:14 AM

This is kind of a sweet cute story. In a sense uplifting.

by Anonymousreply 30April 8, 2021 2:58 AM

He's not cute but his message is. How wonderfully elegant with his French and German and school boy English.

by Anonymousreply 31April 8, 2021 3:01 AM

It appeared in this magazine. His letter is on the last page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 8, 2021 3:06 AM

Sorry R22. I missed your post

by Anonymousreply 33April 8, 2021 3:08 AM

HOMASECKSHULS

by Anonymousreply 34April 8, 2021 3:18 AM

He's the '50s equivalent of GermanGayGuy.

by Anonymousreply 35April 8, 2021 5:13 AM

The whole mail order gay bride thing seems creepy, even if it was the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 36April 8, 2021 5:49 AM

Oh! We found Joel's grandfather, I see!

by Anonymousreply 37April 8, 2021 5:54 AM

R22. I enjoyed reading many of the letters ... the final letter was a bit melancholy ...

by Anonymousreply 38April 8, 2021 6:11 AM

I find it quite touching.

by Anonymousreply 39April 8, 2021 7:08 AM

If you like that ad, you'll love these. The Link was an Edwardian hookup mag that the British Govt finally shut down. This twitter site posts the ads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 8, 2021 7:37 AM

The article by Alison Hunter in the current[March)magazine,in which she discusses the Midwinter Institute conclusions regarding whether women should be"butch"or"femme";and summarizes it all up with"doing what comes naturally,"brings up a subject I have wanted to write to you about for sometime.

This has to do with"flaunt-ing"in public. Why,oh why,do both our sexes feel that it is clever,cute,or just having the courage of our convictions to ape the opposite sex, ironical it is, considering that we don't LIKE the opposite sex,in most cases. I have had occasion to be in a bowling alley when the"ladies"teams were bowl-ing, and such an array of out-and-out butch characters would be hard to imagine Each trying to outdo the other, with no concern for the on lookers who were not sympathetic. The unfortunate thing about it is that both male and female take on the most offensive. vulgar and gauche characteristics of the males,and the most simpering,cloying and sickening characteristics of the females and on both of them it looks bad even to one of their kind.

Mr.C.INGLEWOOD,CALIFORNIA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 8, 2021 8:23 AM

The magazine, the first of its kind, was the foundation of what is still called today One Archives, which is the largest collector of LGBTQ materials in the world and located in Los Angles. A few years ago the formally independent archives was merged into the library system of University of Southern California.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 8, 2021 8:27 AM

Here’s a nice overview about the magazine from the archive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 8, 2021 8:29 AM

This reminds me of an interesting story my roommate told me. Before WW2, her grandmother of 17 came to Cluj, Romania from the south and started her ballet career where she quickly advanced to prima ballerina. A beauty that was a cross between Liz Taylor and the delicate grace of Audrey Hepburn, her dance partner was a young, blonde twink with huge eyes from Moldova. They looked amazing in the pictures she has...like two perfect human specimens full of youth and grace. When the Germans came through in 1942, they blocked the main square between the opera and cathedral so when her grandma came to rehearsal she was told to go through the back. The opera was half empty and everyone was sitting in stunned silence. She asked where her partner "Michy" was and everyone just said "we aren't interfering" (Romanian translation = we are afraid and keeping our mouth shut to save our lives). She climbed to the top floor and one of the toothless peasants who worked the stage set said "come see here the 'snowfall'". Through a bulls-eye window she saw how her partner, a few other gay men and the Jews had been stripped naked and were forced to scrub the sidewalk with small shoe brushes by the Nazis before being herded onto trucks. Later, a peasant lady told her how once they got to the brickyard by the trains some of the peasants coming to the market gave them some grapes and blankets. None came back after the war.

by Anonymousreply 44April 8, 2021 8:46 AM

[quote]A few years ago the formally independent archives was merged into the library system of University of Southern California.

Oh, dear. And oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 45April 8, 2021 1:51 PM

R11 Notodden is a small town in Telemark.

by Anonymousreply 46May 12, 2021 6:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!