Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Beyond Belief or just straight up bullshit?

I have been watching this show on Prime for the last couple of days and I really must say, none of it can possible be true. It is claimed that some of the stories are “inspired” by actual events, but this has to be in the loosest sense possible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 9, 2021 5:35 AM

It was very popular in German speaking countries, more so than in the US I think. It's still on every Sunday on one of the major German TV channels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2021 10:25 PM

This one is apparently loosely based on Leona Helmsley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2021 10:29 PM

They attribute the “true” content to Robert Tralins, who wrote a lot of pulp and science fiction. This is from his Wikipedia page: Tralins was evidently interested in fetish and related topics. His The Sexual Fetish describes agalmatophilia and frottage.[5]

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2021 10:39 PM

It always annoyed me that they never referenced the Real stories so we could look them up ourselves. Most sounded like urban legends or accounts from unreliable witnesses.

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2021 10:41 PM

Is that Riker?

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2021 10:44 PM

Germany here, and yes, it's very popular, with all generations. It even managed to reach the now-teenagers. There are several reasons: mystery and creepypastas and unsolved mysteries are popular as it is, and right now, there seems to be a renaissance. The X-Factor was well-made and utterly undisturbing and harmless, ideal family TV. Then, very importantly, Jonathan Frakes is a great host, engaging and authentic. Everyone knows his face or are even familiar with his name in Germany, the ones who were young in the 90s (like moi) from "North and South" ("Fackeln im Sturm" in German), and of course Star Trek TNG which has never stopped being popular since the time it was first aired.

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2021 10:59 PM

This was always a guilty pleasure of mine in Sci-Fi.

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 11:43 PM

The stories all sound like campfire story nonsense. Robert Tralins wrote a book called, Strange events beyond human understanding. That is where the alleged true stories come from.

by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2021 11:53 PM

^^Is his book similar to the book Strangely Enough?

by Anonymousreply 9April 8, 2021 12:00 AM

R9 SEBHU is just a collection of stories that read like urban legends and campfire tales. Tralins claimed the stories came from witnesses and that they were true. There isn’t a whole lot to go on, though. Information is scant at best.

by Anonymousreply 10April 8, 2021 12:06 AM

A lot of the stories were based on urban legends. One story that can be confirmed to be true is the episode that had a segment on Morgan Robertson. He was the author of the novella titled The Wreck of the Titan: Or, Futility. The novella was about a large ocean liner ship that sank after hitting an iceberg. The novella was published fourteen years before the Titanic sank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2021 12:25 AM

This article details some of the ones based on urban legends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 8, 2021 12:48 AM

Weren’t all the lame cases the ones that were true?

by Anonymousreply 13April 8, 2021 12:55 AM

This never gets old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 8, 2021 5:50 AM

R7 Same with me. I did a rewatch of the show a couple of years ago and it was fun to laugh at the cheesy acting, bad props etc.

by Anonymousreply 15April 8, 2021 5:57 PM

A somewhat similar show that was also guilty pleasure for me was Mostly True Stories? Urban Legends Revealed. It was on TLC and hosted by Natasha Henstridge

by Anonymousreply 16April 8, 2021 6:01 PM

OMG! I thought I was the only one who watched these. I was a teen in the late '90s/early 2000s ad I lived for MOSTLY TRUE STORIES and BEYOND BELIEF. They scared mem sometimes, too. haha

by Anonymousreply 17April 8, 2021 8:23 PM

R17 Yes loved watching this, Unsolved Mysteries reruns, and all those true crime docs.

by Anonymousreply 18April 8, 2021 8:26 PM

I loved this show.

by Anonymousreply 19April 8, 2021 9:09 PM

Brolin seemed uninterested, its good they replaced him with Frakes.

by Anonymousreply 20April 9, 2021 1:38 AM

James Brolin acts like he has no clue what each segment is even about. H so clearly just there for the paycheck. Frakes serves up some camp.

by Anonymousreply 21April 9, 2021 5:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!