Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mermaids (1990)

God, I love this movie. I was reminded of it in the Winona Ryder thread. I recently rewatched it on Prime and thought it held up beautifully. Cher, Ryder, and Ricci are perfection in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2021 12:42 AM

And Michael Schoeffling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2021 9:44 PM

“Know your shoe size and know your fabrics.”

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2021 9:48 PM

R1 So yummy.

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2021 9:51 PM

Some great Cher moments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2021 9:56 PM

Cher was negative about this movie but it was great -- it founds its life on video. God, I miss the days of movies in theaters -- then the excitement when they came out for rental. Everything is just a mediocre blur of too much content -- plus enforced diversity that feels so anti-art.

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2021 10:01 PM

I watched this many time on VHS. I was living in Boston when this and Witches of Eastwick were filmed and ran into her quite a few times. She's very nice.

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2021 10:12 PM

Lasse Halstrom wanted a darker ending where Ricci's character died...so Cher had him fired.

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 11:26 PM

R7 😂

by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2021 11:45 PM

I liked it and saw it when I was in high school. I’d never want to watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2021 11:51 PM

[quote]Cher was negative about this movie but it was great -- it founds its life on video. God, I miss the days of movies in theaters -- then the excitement when they came out for rental. Everything is just a mediocre blur of too much content -- plus enforced diversity that feels so anti-art.

I was a kid when it came out in theaters. My aunt who is a big Cher fan took me and my cousin and we loved it. I also sort of miss the days of rental stores because my parents were friends with a couple who owned a rental store and we rent a couple of times a month from them.

by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2021 11:58 PM

"Now his lips are touching mine..."

by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2021 2:10 AM

R11 Some of Charlotte’s dialogue was so “My So-Called Life.”

by Anonymousreply 12April 8, 2021 7:42 PM

i forgot does ryder's character actually get screwed by michael schoeffling's character in the movie or were they only ABOUT to have intercourse before they had to stop to save ricci's character... if they DID have full blown sex, what a young hunk to lose your virginity too! whew lordy be!!!

by Anonymousreply 13April 8, 2021 7:47 PM

R13 it’s definitely implied that he pushes himself all the way inside her, but I don’t think he cums because they get interrupted by nuns. Still, yeah, imagine losing your virginity to him?!

by Anonymousreply 14April 8, 2021 8:00 PM

Emily Lloyd was originally supposed to play the Ryder part, but clashed with Cher. She had to sue them to get compensation for her salary.

by Anonymousreply 15April 8, 2021 8:14 PM

YouTube has this listed as “free with ads” but it let me watch the whole thing last night with no ads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 8, 2021 9:45 PM

That waterfall where Charlotte almost drowns and where the fake monastery set was built by the production team is actually located in the large backyard of some house in Easton, Massachusetts. It was on sale recently for $1.5 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 8, 2021 9:49 PM

Sorry, it's Kate who almost drowns, not Charlotte.

by Anonymousreply 18April 8, 2021 9:50 PM

[quote]Emily Lloyd was originally supposed to play the Ryder part, but clashed with Cher. She had to sue them to get compensation for her salary.

Geez. how many people did Cher have fired from this film?

She also had Frank Oz fired from this as director because they clashed.

by Anonymousreply 19April 8, 2021 9:50 PM

I really like the movie. Bob Hoskins and Ricci are really charming. Cher is good too and Winona was in her first breakdown phase, which kind of worked. But I can't get into to alleged acting.

The real distraction in this film is Cher's spanking new cheekbones her choice to be constantly smirking. She shouldn't really like her performance in it very much, but I'm sure it's her being 8 lbs overweight and those enormous cheek implants that really make her dislike it. Cher is innately talented, but far too dumb and vain. She's is the worst judge of what's good.

Overall it's an oddly enjoyable movie. But mostly because of BoB and Ricci.

by Anonymousreply 20April 8, 2021 9:58 PM

R19 She also had issues with people on the sets of Mask and Witches of Eastwick. Peter Bogdanovich who directed Mask said she had a bad attitude and was difficult to work with. And three years after Burlesque came out, she said the director of that movie was a bad director. Not a good idea to bash directors if you want work.

Her movie career slowed down not because of the infomercial, but because she’s a bitch and difficult to work with. If you have problem after problem on one movie set after another, YOU are the problem.

by Anonymousreply 21April 8, 2021 10:04 PM

It wasn’t a great movie and the whole premise was utterly stupid. Move on tampon!!

by Anonymousreply 22April 8, 2021 10:23 PM

Am I the only one that found Christina Ricci super hot in this?

by Anonymousreply 23April 8, 2021 10:24 PM

Fuck off, Defacto at R14.

DIAGF.

by Anonymousreply 24April 8, 2021 10:26 PM

R22 😂

by Anonymousreply 25April 8, 2021 10:29 PM

I saw this in the theater with my sister. When it looks like the kid is going to drown, she got all tense and I said, "Relax! They aren't going to kill a kid in a Cher movie." So I was kindof right and kindof wrong.

by Anonymousreply 26April 8, 2021 10:29 PM

Awful voice over and way too much of it. But Cher got another cool hit song out of it all.

by Anonymousreply 27April 8, 2021 10:29 PM

If you’ve posted in here, I liked your mini-review and insights, so I’m posting it in here:

I watched this last night after not seeing it for 15-20 years.

What a fun little movie this is! It made me nostalgic for not only the 60s that this movie portrays, but also the 90s when a movie like this could still get made.

The New England aesthetic is so beautiful and I love the attention to detail of the changing seasons. The dialogue is wonderful and all of Charlotte’s inappropriate, half-baked thoughts felt so real to me and what I actually would be thinking when I was a teenager, especially all her thoughts about Joe. And Joe, man, what a stunning hunk of a man.

Cher is so effortlessly cool as Mrs. Flax. Each character is just so unique and quirky and it really makes you long for the freedom of the 60s and people not being such horrid cunts to each other back then. Even little Christina Ricci is fantastically weird as Kate.

It drags a little bit in the middle, and Charlotte’s virgin pregnancy is a little bit much, but it’s a classic nonetheless. I just felt like I was home watching this. This is the type of movie that just feels so right to me, and it could never get made today 🙁

by Anonymousreply 28April 9, 2021 1:00 AM

Everyone said Winona stole the movie from Cher, but I don’t agree at all. Cher’s comedic timing in this is pretty much perfect and effortless, whereas Charlotte’s voice over and character more generally was just this side of previous.

Still really enjoy the movie though, albeit from a “critical standpoint” I can certainly see where it’s not great. I saw this Xmas day with my family - the same day as Alice (which SUCKED)

And about a million times since then - shoop shoop!

by Anonymousreply 29April 9, 2021 2:09 AM

Winona mopped the floor with Cher and nearly got an Oscar nomination out of it. Were it not for Diane Ladd's shameless self promoting spaghetti dinner screenings of Wild At Heat for Academy members she probably would have gotten it. That's why Cher speaks ill of it. I found the film charming when I first saw it and still enjoy it when I stop to watch it if it's on TV.

by Anonymousreply 30April 9, 2021 2:16 AM

Personally, Imas I noted in the op, I think Cher, Ryder, and Ricci are excellent, perfect, and effortless together.

Here’s an interview with all three:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 9, 2021 2:23 AM

Great interview with Oprah about the film. Winona is interviewed alongside Cher.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 9, 2021 2:24 AM

Winona later cane out to say she hated doing the video for the shoop shoop song and was sort of rail roaded into it

by Anonymousreply 33April 9, 2021 2:32 AM

Also, Cher goes into detail about why she said she didn’t think she was good in the film in the interview @ R31.

by Anonymousreply 34April 9, 2021 2:38 AM

I love Cher but this thread has made me think of her a little differently. Firing both Lasse Hallstrom and Frank Oz, both solid directors, says a lot about her. And then Lloyd.

Ryder was a good choice, as she, Cher, and Ricci look like they could be related. But I can't help but feel Lloyd sparking with Cher would have been more interesting.

I think it's a decent film, great soundtrack, Bob Hoskins is terrific (as he always was), nice cinematography but it's a little staid.

by Anonymousreply 35April 9, 2021 2:57 AM

I saw Cher at the heliport in Logan Airport towards the end of filming Mermaids. She was crumpled up in a ball on the chairs with a trench coat draped over her. She was suffering from chronic fatigue.

by Anonymousreply 36April 9, 2021 5:08 PM

I always find it funny how much younger Christina Ricci seems in this than she does in The Addams Family, which was only made 1 year later. She was 9 when Mermaids was filmed but looks and acts more like a 5 or 6 year old.

I have a soft spot this film and I think it's one of Winona's best performances.

by Anonymousreply 37April 12, 2021 8:53 PM

Cher may be a bitch but Emily Lloyd was kinda nuts. The poor girl turned down Pretty Woman to do Mermaids and then she was fired from Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives because she had become unstable.

by Anonymousreply 38April 12, 2021 9:07 PM

If find it ironic that Bob Hoskins plays Christina Ricci's potential stepfather rather than her actual father because he would have been a better choice to play her father than any of the actors who did so in her other films. Like her he was short and intense, had a round head and was good at doing intimidating stares. A big father-daughter argument scene between him and teenage Ricci would have been amazing.

by Anonymousreply 39April 12, 2021 9:14 PM

The Oprah show with Cher must have been filmed in December 1990ish to promote the release of the film in the US.

Channel 4 in the UK used to show Oprahs in the daytime, and I would regularly truant from school, so I knew about the film well before it was released.

And then The Shoop Shoop Song was released in May to coincide with the film and I didn't know the original version of the song, but I knew it from Oprah so I bought it on the first week of release and it missed the top 40, then it went in at 23, then jumped to 2, then spent 5 weeks at number 1.

Also LOL at the woman asking Cher at 25.00 if her relationship with Chastity is like the movie.

by Anonymousreply 40April 12, 2021 9:16 PM

And this kind of happened again in Sleepy Hollow, Ricci's stepmother was played by Miranda Richardson who could actually have passed as a biological parent, much more so than Michael Gambon who played her father.

by Anonymousreply 41April 12, 2021 9:24 PM

What I don't get is how Cher complained for years that she wanted to be taken seriously as an actress. She gets into movies, has a phenomenal year in 1987 that wins her an Oscar, and then doesn't do another movie for three years, before practically abandoning her acting career.

She was offered many A list roles in the late 80's early 90's post oscar win. (War of the Roses, Thelma and Louise) but aside from Mermaids, nothing.

by Anonymousreply 42April 12, 2021 9:32 PM

r42, I think she achieved her goal and found acting boring.

The other thing is she was sick for at least 2 years with chronic fatigue after Mermaids.

by Anonymousreply 43April 12, 2021 11:01 PM

I think another problem is Cher doesn't have a lot of range. I enjoy her acting but she never showed us what else she could play. Plus the increasing plastic surgery limited her and she became preoccupied with her "final" tours.

by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2021 12:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!