Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oaxacan food

Are you into it? I love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 8, 2021 8:28 PM

No, but I love the visual arts of the region!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2021 8:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2021 8:18 PM

Some of the best food on the planet. A flor de calabaza quesadilla in Oaxaca in 1984 was likely the best thing I've ever eaten. Go the central market and see 8-10 DIFFERENT kinds of mole.

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2021 8:19 PM

[quote] see 8-10 DIFFERENT kinds of mole.

The DL mole patrol is as opposed to this as it is to Josh Hartnett and Edward Snowden.

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2021 8:21 PM

I've only had it at a Oaxacan restaurant in Orange Co. Quite interesting -- and very different from the traditional northern Mexican food we're accustomed to. (I didn't try the chapulines.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2021 8:41 PM

I really like those cemitas sandwiches. There used to be a truck near my work that sold them, but haven't seen them in awhile.

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2021 8:44 PM

Oaxaca is such a lovely place.

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 8:54 PM

Puebla food is good as well.

by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2021 10:17 PM

Well damn now I want to go.

by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2021 10:24 PM

Is it very different from other Mexican food?

by Anonymousreply 10April 8, 2021 1:47 AM

I hope it's not a bunch of cow tongue and pig brains kind of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2021 6:39 AM

Agreed, r11. i am not down with the organ shit or tongue or intestine.

by Anonymousreply 12April 8, 2021 7:00 AM

There's a Mexican chain restaurant in the UK called 'Wahaca' (the Anglicised version of Oaxaca since no one would know how to pronounce it anyway) and it's probably my favourite chain - I don't know how authentic the cuisine is though.

by Anonymousreply 13April 8, 2021 12:00 PM

i haven't been to interior Mexico . i need to and this place has always been on a bucket list. Taxco is another

by Anonymousreply 14April 8, 2021 12:05 PM

Oaxaca (the state) is on the Pacific Ocean. It's not "interior Mexico."

by Anonymousreply 15April 8, 2021 1:30 PM

Pati Jinich did some great oaxacan cooking on her show not long ago:. Her oaxacan chicken thighs with garlic and oregano are on my regular menu rotation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 8, 2021 2:16 PM

R15 Guess you've never been there. Yes Oaxaca state is on the coast - Puerto Escondido one of the original out-of-the-way undiscovered beach towns (surfers in the 60s), but now with a lot of tourist development at places like Huatulco.

But Oaxaca the town is in interior for sure - a valley in the Sierra Nevada range (with some peaks over 12,000ft.. The city's elevation is 5,000ft. The Monte Alban site of an Zapotec city is spectacularly situated at 6,500ft It's just a few miles up from Oaxaca city overlooking the Oaxacan valley.

by Anonymousreply 17April 8, 2021 3:31 PM

r17 Yes, I HAVE been there -- and "Oaxacan" in terms of cuisine generally refers to the STATE, not just the city.

by Anonymousreply 18April 8, 2021 3:55 PM

And the "cuisine" in question is from the Oaxaxan valley, not the coast. There is nothing more "interior" than Oaxaca city. So I am confused about the intent of your original post.

by Anonymousreply 19April 8, 2021 3:58 PM

R10 if it’s not that different from Mexican food its probably just ok, not great, not a cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 20April 8, 2021 4:40 PM

I believe I have had my fill of corn fungus.

by Anonymousreply 21April 8, 2021 4:42 PM

Grasshoppers were actually good. Like crunchy, salty potato chips -- yummers!

by Anonymousreply 22April 8, 2021 5:07 PM

I think they are mostly known for mole. Oaxaca the city offers much more than just its cooking. It’s a city entirely different than US or European cities...more of a village with culture. A world unto itself.

by Anonymousreply 23April 8, 2021 8:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!