Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is the last book you finished reading?

How many books did you read in 2020 and 2021?

What were they? What were your favorites?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 8, 2021 1:04 PM

Mein Führer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2021 5:56 PM

1963 by Steven King. It took me about 9 months to get through. The middle was a slogfest, IMO. It really picked up at the end, though.

My favorite books are by Elizabeth George. I love the Inspector Lynley mysteries. Her other books are meh. Also enjoyed the Outlander series. I got as far as Dragonfly in Amber. One last one, most books by Phillppa Gregory. She writes fictionalized accounts of the early Royal Family like the wives of Henry VIII.

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2021 6:25 PM

I read 1963 too. Started off great and then checked out with the love story.

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2021 6:28 PM

My favorite novel, To Kill a Mockingbird. Read for about the thousandth time.

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2021 6:32 PM

The last book I read was also 11/22/63, but I really liked it. It took me a week or two to get through. Was a rare book that I couldn't wait to get back to.

Otherwise recent ones.

The Devil in the White. That one took me a bit, but worth reading and did like it. I found the parts about the World's Fair are actually more interesting than the serial killer aspect.

Finally read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I'm way behind on my reading list. Loved this one. It got to be a bit of a slog about 3/4 through, but glad I kept going.

Several P.G. Wodehouse, Wooster and Jeeves stories.

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2021 6:34 PM

Biography of Flannery OConnor by (DL fave?) Brad Gooch.

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2021 7:49 PM

So many people just finished Stephen King's 11/22/63? But it came out years ago.

Maybe we're in a parallel universe or something.

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 9:09 PM

The user's manual of my LG OLEDCXP television.

by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2021 9:29 PM

It's because that book is the thickness of a NYC phone book back when that when that was a thing, It's a big book, but for me I didn't want it to end.

by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2021 9:36 PM

Mike Nichols: a Life, by Mark Harris. Compulsively readable.

by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2021 9:39 PM

Though I always feel guilty admitting I read him semi-regularly, I just read King's most recent, LATER, and enjoyed it. I'm a fan of the short paperbacks he does for Hard Case Crime. Unlike his tomes, his HCC books are well-edited and concise.

LATER is a Sixth Sense-ish coming of age story with vivid characters and solid storytelling, a breezy, engaging, undemanding read.

Before that the last King book I read was THE INSTITUTE when it was new in hardcover, and it started off solid but could have been much shorter.

I go between short books and longer ones, fiction and non fiction, new and vintage. Not reading celebrity autobiographies as much as I used to, now that everybody does them and so many are formulaic and pat. Still doing some social justice reading after events of last year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 7, 2021 9:48 PM

My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh . I read a couple of her books and found them to be pretty original and intriguing, I haven't read her latest book, the reviews seem bad and the preview that I read didn't do anything for me. I have way more unfinished books than finished ones. The last book I bought was A Little Life, I gave up on it pretty quickly, it seemed good if you were like one of the characters and I am not.

by Anonymousreply 12April 7, 2021 10:05 PM

R7, R2 here. I tend to get into things later than a lot of people. I didn't watch Game of Thrones until probably the 4rd season. I got hooked one year between Xmas and New Year's when HBO showed a marathon of the first 3 seasons. After getting all caught up, I continued to watch the series.

by Anonymousreply 13April 8, 2021 1:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!