Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Skinny Oprah On The Cover Of Vogue

Was it her shining moment?

Did it turn into her lowest moment when she gained the weight back?

It doesn't even look like her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 9, 2021 7:32 AM

With gal pals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2021 5:24 PM

Who in the ham sammich is this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2021 5:25 PM

Losing weight made her teefs stick out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2021 5:25 PM

Lady in red. The best photo of the bunch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2021 5:26 PM

Remember when TV Guide put Oprah's head on Ann-Margret's body?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2021 5:27 PM

Literal GENOCIDE of White Bodies.

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2021 5:30 PM

Not a pretty gal....

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 5:31 PM

I remember it was controversial because it barely looked like her (she was promoting Beloved at the time). There was also a mini-scandal because, allegedly, Anna Wintour had made the cover conditional...Oprah had to lose weight or it wasn’t going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2021 5:40 PM

The black female comics used to ridicule her on "In Living Color". I think it was Kim Wayans who did the skit where a skinny Oprah kept eating junk food and eventually blew up like Violet in "Willy Wonka". It became more hysterical because it showed that Oprah was not the goddess to black women that she thought she was.

by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2021 5:42 PM

R8 really? Oh, Excuse my post at R6.

Literal Genocide of Black Bodies!

by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2021 5:44 PM

R5 I was just going to post something about that. I was only 10 years old, but I recall people talking about it after the truth was revealed.

by Anonymousreply 11April 7, 2021 5:44 PM

HARPO, who dat? Her waistline been squeaked.

by Anonymousreply 12April 7, 2021 5:58 PM

Why is her head/face seemed pasted on all of them?

by Anonymousreply 13April 7, 2021 6:01 PM

That doesn't even look like her, in the Vogue spread.

by Anonymousreply 14April 7, 2021 6:42 PM

1998 Photoshop. Primitive.

by Anonymousreply 15April 7, 2021 6:50 PM

The photos are edited of course, but they also did things like hide her stomach with a chair or by putting her in a weird position, and having skirts that flared out to hide the hips.

Unfortunately, her face looks very strange without the weight. In the cover photo, she looks almost ill.

by Anonymousreply 16April 7, 2021 7:32 PM

She probably was ill because fat people need to starve to loose weight.

by Anonymousreply 17April 7, 2021 7:54 PM

She's admitted to being arrogant during this period.

by Anonymousreply 18April 7, 2021 7:59 PM

[quote]people need to starve to loose weight

OH DEAR! I am going to lose it with your loose!

by Anonymousreply 19April 7, 2021 8:00 PM

Then the movie bombed and she gobbled up two chaffing dishes of macaroni and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 20April 7, 2021 8:07 PM

R18 So what is her excuse for her current arrogance?

by Anonymousreply 21April 7, 2021 8:09 PM

Sadly it goes to show that it is really hard to keep the weight off.

by Anonymousreply 22April 7, 2021 8:12 PM

It's easier when you don't binge-eat 30 pounds of macaroni and cheese to deal with life's disappointments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 7, 2021 8:16 PM

She is rich beyond comprehension. Successful. Happy. Has good friends. A partner. And has a lot of power within the industry. She has recorded one of the most watched interviews ever. Go Oprah. Go

by Anonymousreply 24April 7, 2021 8:17 PM

To quote OP:

"Get a life, whore.

Go see a psychiatrist to figure out why you are still interested in someone you don't like.

Move on."

by Anonymousreply 25April 7, 2021 8:23 PM

R23 Who hasn't binged on 30 pounds of mac and cheese?

by Anonymousreply 26April 7, 2021 8:24 PM

Some people are made to be larger and they don't look right thin--Oprah, Al Roker, Star Jones. Not everyone is supposed to be skinny.

by Anonymousreply 27April 7, 2021 8:29 PM

BELOVED bombing must have been a humiliating defeat for Oprah. Up to that point, everything she touched seemed to turn to gold -- her monthly book club produced many bestsellers simply on the basis of her recommendation -- and BELOVED was touted as a potentially big Oscar contender. But then the movie opened and tanked big time!

by Anonymousreply 28April 7, 2021 8:30 PM

Remember when she got sued by the beef industry?

She looked like shit in The Color Purple. Her makeup person is a true artist, she is not a natural beauty.

by Anonymousreply 29April 7, 2021 8:33 PM

I think Oprah is quite lovely and looks better with a little extra weight. That being said, all those photos look shopped to hell. She looks great but I don't think that's what she looked like in real life before editing was done.

Oprah gurl, you don't need it ALL. You aren't a movie STAH, you're a media mogul. Settle for that.

by Anonymousreply 30April 7, 2021 8:37 PM

Remember the wagon of fat?

[quote]In 1988, Oprah Winfrey wheeled out a little red wagon containing 67 pounds of animal fat — the amount of weight she’d then lost — just to show her audience what she’d accomplished.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 7, 2021 8:37 PM

From her heaviest to her skinniest was more like a 125 pound difference.

Who’s she kidding with this 67 pound thing?

by Anonymousreply 32April 7, 2021 8:40 PM

Did she drop the weight with meth?

by Anonymousreply 33April 7, 2021 8:44 PM

When I went to WW they acted like she was a god. Why should I take advice from a woman who has all the means and money but can't control her own weight?

by Anonymousreply 34April 7, 2021 8:45 PM

I think she looks lovely. Oprah might not be traditionally attractive to everyone, but I've always found her to be a very attractive woman. I know a lot of people think she's full of shit, but she's always struck me as meaning well.

by Anonymousreply 35April 7, 2021 8:56 PM

And let's see in a few months when the snacking takes over.

by Anonymousreply 36April 7, 2021 8:59 PM

Black women are genetically made to gain weight as they get older - it's a fact of life, especially the big behinds. Oprah gave it the old college try but she needs to relax now that she's getting older and just be herself, including her weight.

by Anonymousreply 37April 7, 2021 9:02 PM

She looked completely different in the Markle interview. Like 50 pounds different, is this a late April Fool’s joke.

by Anonymousreply 38April 7, 2021 9:06 PM

Oops nevermind. This is skinny Oprah from the past not current fat Oprah. She’ll never be this skinny again.

by Anonymousreply 39April 7, 2021 9:08 PM

r38 especially since she OWNS weight watchers ...

by Anonymousreply 40April 7, 2021 9:08 PM

Damn! If she had stayed at that weight, I would have married her years ago.

by Anonymousreply 41April 7, 2021 9:19 PM

I met her during the Beloved era, and she was skinny in person with a huge head and a big bellowing voice.

by Anonymousreply 42April 7, 2021 9:25 PM

Every single depleted fat cell in her temporarily skinny body must have been screaming 24/7 BREAD!!!!!! MAC & CHEESE!!!! It's a wonder she didn't use drugs again. Or did she?

by Anonymousreply 43April 7, 2021 9:44 PM

She looks uncomfortable and stiff in every shot. I guess a big ego control freak never does well when somebody else is in control.

by Anonymousreply 44April 7, 2021 10:01 PM

Anyone else thinking she looks a lot like Angela Bassett in the OP's links?

The Vogue cover is so overly photoshopped.

She has so much yet she cannot control herself. If I was that wealthy I'd have a master chef preparing every meal I eat, a live-in trainer, and an onsite workout room, and people to keep me constantly moving and motivated. Instead, she eats mac and cheese and bacon cheeseburgers.

by Anonymousreply 45April 7, 2021 10:41 PM

She's incredibly wealthy and influential, but she got that way by being vulnerable on camera in a way very few people have the nerve to be.

I appreciate her overall. I remember when she used to do shows that showed her without any makeup. For example, she's open the show on full glam with the hair and lashes and makeup and then laugh at video of herself running a 10k with no makeup and looking really rough. That's where her power came from. A lot of women and men yo-yo diet and as successful as she has been, she never took herself too seriously or became as pretentious as someone like Madonna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 7, 2021 10:51 PM

Oprah has overcome a horrible childhood into one of the most successful women ever and gives it back ten fold. So what if she is fat?

by Anonymousreply 47April 7, 2021 11:12 PM

She’s not really fat. She is plump, but she also looks good that way.

She looks sickly when she gets too skinny.

And, anyway, why do we give a shit what she looks like? She’s one of the most successful people on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 48April 8, 2021 12:45 AM

Why R48? Maybe due to the fact that eating and dieting have been the bane of her very existence. It is and always has been, the most important thing in her life.

by Anonymousreply 49April 8, 2021 6:12 AM

Then she ate it all back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 8, 2021 10:50 AM

The most important thing in her life, R49?

She was serially raped by multiple uncles throughout her childhood.

She moved around the country to find jobs as a news reporter.

She dedicated her talk show to a mix of celebrity worship, personal safety, reading and self-improvement.

She single handedly made reading fiction a popular pastime when trash TV shows dominated the public's minds, boosted the publishing industry and made the greatest experimental author of our time, Toni Morrison--our era's William Faulkner--nearly as well known to the non-reading US public as Madonna.

You're choosing to focus on her weight. It doesn't seem like the most important thing in her life to me. She has been preoccupied with fad diets and other self-help efforts, but she seems far more preoccupied with literature, spiritual pursuits and doing charitable things for other people.

by Anonymousreply 51April 8, 2021 11:21 AM

[quote]It became more hysterical because it showed that Oprah was not the goddess to black women that she thought she was.

White women relate to movie stars, that's who they want to be. Black women relate to singers. Doesn't matter how they look as long as they speak to them Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith, Lena Horne, Aretha, Whitney, Beyonce ... the could be conventionally beautiful or not.

White women made Oprah a star.

by Anonymousreply 52April 8, 2021 11:38 AM

R52 That's quite a stereotype...it doesn't really match my experience. Most white women I know are more concerned with musicians than they are to actresses--but they primarily are interested in male singers. I'm thinking of my white women friends and I can't think of any who care at all about any actresses or ever mention them, except for saying how much they dislike people like Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie.

Thinking of my black women friends, they do love soulful black women singers from Aretha and Patti to Whitney, but they equally love Michael Jackson, Prince and Stevie Wonder, as well as actors from Viola Davis and Octavia Smith and Cecily Tyson to Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman. Generally speaking, the black women I know do gravitate toward black performers, but both men and women pretty equally.

by Anonymousreply 53April 8, 2021 11:53 AM

R51 You write that I am choosing to focus on her weight and wonder why.

I wonder why you have missed something so obvious. Her lifelong battle with her weight. She is completely obsessed.

Spiritual pursuits? The only thing she finds spiritual is Hermes handbags.

by Anonymousreply 54April 9, 2021 12:47 AM

R27-So true.

I do not like skinny Al Roker

I like FAT Al Roker.

I do not like skinny Oprah

I like FAT Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 55April 9, 2021 12:57 AM

R55 And you don't like Star Jones any which way!

by Anonymousreply 56April 9, 2021 1:45 AM

Beloved bombing was such a blow to Oprah and her career. A dream project that disintegrated.

I don't think the problem was so much Oprah but the film tanked because it was playing in multiplexes in suburbs and... it was not that type of film. It was more of an art film, despite the pedigree of Oprah and Jonathan Demme, coming off the back-to-back success of Silence of the Lambs and Philadelphia.

And it's a downer of a film. It was never destined to be a commercial success. I'm surprised that Oprah thought it might be. Her instincts about how this film would be perceived were completely off.

But I do think it's a good film. The cinematography is excellent and the sore by Rachel Portman is lovely and underrated.

by Anonymousreply 57April 9, 2021 1:57 AM

Oprah doesn't do stairs. I picture her exercise as gingerly walking around her property, I can't see her breaking a sweat.

by Anonymousreply 58April 9, 2021 2:09 AM

Is this the same fat ass bitch of colour who interview us 4 weeks ago? Because...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 9, 2021 2:56 AM

Did Megan fart at that point of the interview?

The 'Prah looks like she's smelling a big one.

by Anonymousreply 60April 9, 2021 2:59 AM

" .............. and the sore by Rachel Portman is lovely and underrated"

Rachel has a sore? Where!

by Anonymousreply 61April 9, 2021 7:28 AM

R59 she looks like a cartoon mad scientist.

by Anonymousreply 62April 9, 2021 7:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!