Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When is the last time you went to the library?

What do you usually check out?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 8, 2021 12:08 AM

*was

by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2021 4:30 PM

I check out the nerdy librarian with the big COCK!

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2021 4:33 PM

Can't remember the last time, because the libraries in my County have been closed due to covid since at least March of 2020. They only recently allowed placing holds and picking them up - 2 days a week, for about 2 hours a day. Closed libraries have been one of the worst byproducts of this horribleness.....

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2021 4:38 PM

My library is overrun with the homeless people. I can’t stand going there. It smells like urine and ass. They never really have anything I am looking for anyway. I find out of print books online.

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2021 4:39 PM

Well, it was over a year ago. I am in a new city with some libraries that are supposed to be very beautiful inside...wish I could see for myself. Most things are open here - pretty much everything except for libraries and live theater.

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2021 4:43 PM

Pre-covid. But I borrow kindle books constantly.

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2021 4:50 PM

I'm a bibliophile. Love the smell of old books.I worked in a library all through my college years. Now retired. We have a small library just blocks from my place. Lovely walk . Friendly staff. I enjoy sitting by the large bay windows reading. Perusing the newspapers and magazines. Actually check out books and DVD's. Look forward to going at least twice a week. And it's all free.

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 4:51 PM

Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2021 5:10 PM

Yesterday. I’m reading Girl Woman Other by Bernardine Evaristo, which is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2021 5:14 PM

I loved the library as a kid AND an adult. I still remember my first overdue book - "Glimmer, Glimmer, Glumpkin." I was there about a month ago. I'll tell you what I remember - you couldn't say SHIT in the library. If you opened your mouth to speak with the people who were with you, then the librarian was on your ass like Giborey Sidibe on fried chicken! I do believe that I even got kicked out of the library as a kid back then. I can remember the librarians, the interactions with them, everything. Now days, all the libraries are interconnected throughout the entire state. I can do my shopping online, choose an item from way across the state, and expect it at my local branch within the week. Primarily, I have always checked biographies. "Truth" is stranger than fiction.

by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2021 5:17 PM

R10, your post is charming, minus the racism.

by Anonymousreply 11April 7, 2021 5:19 PM

I went to the tiny lending library on the other side of my block. I picked up a Stephen King collection and left a gay short story anthology. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 12April 7, 2021 5:20 PM

OP this is DL. The bathhouse to library visit ratio is going to be 10:1 at least.

by Anonymousreply 13April 7, 2021 5:28 PM

Thanks, R11, for your "charming" reply. I wonder - would it have made any difference if I'd referenced Chrissy Metz instead? Just wondering.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 7, 2021 5:30 PM

All the best bathhouses have libraries.

by Anonymousreply 15April 7, 2021 5:30 PM

R14, I also dislike making fun of Chrissy Metz, alas.

by Anonymousreply 16April 7, 2021 5:32 PM

Today, I work in one.

by Anonymousreply 17April 7, 2021 5:32 PM

The last time I was in a library was year, and years go......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 7, 2021 5:34 PM

November 2019, while visiting the Universidade de Coimbra in Coimbra, Portugal.

by Anonymousreply 19April 7, 2021 5:38 PM

[quote] All the best bathhouses have libraries.

They have an excellent selection -- The Male Nude, The Joy of Hooking, Mommie Dearest..

by Anonymousreply 20April 7, 2021 5:41 PM

R4, do you live in Bloomington, IN? I was there visiting and went in to use the bathroom. The whole library was full of homeless people and a kid was shooting up when I went into the men’s restroom.

by Anonymousreply 21April 7, 2021 5:43 PM

My neighborhood library, archives actually, built in 1586. No homeless people.

Mostly I buy books, and use libraries more for research projects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 7, 2021 5:53 PM

Last went to a library before lockdown started last March. Miss it. It's a soothing place to be.

by Anonymousreply 23April 7, 2021 5:58 PM

Oh, R16. In that case, Fuck Off, then before I come up there and beat your insufferable ass.

-R10

by Anonymousreply 24April 7, 2021 6:00 PM

Last night. The book is Stephen King's "Full Dark, No Stars".

by Anonymousreply 25April 7, 2021 6:05 PM

We have a beautiful Frank Lloyd Wright apprentice design library that sits on a big lake, but unfortunately it's been closed for over a year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 7, 2021 6:35 PM

My library was great at adapting and offering online programming. I did a film series, several author events including Mr. Andre Leon Talley, meditation, and an art series. I hope they continue to offer online as well as in-person programming.

by Anonymousreply 27April 7, 2021 7:10 PM

Over a year and I really miss it. We can request books/dvds online and then pick up but I haven’t gone. I’m reading ebooks regularly but the selection is not great.

by Anonymousreply 28April 7, 2021 7:26 PM

R21 that reminds me of an episode of the PJs when Thurgood finds a bunch of junkies sleeping in the lobby and throws them out, and the leader says "We know where we're not wanted, let's go to the library."

by Anonymousreply 29April 7, 2021 7:53 PM

I was there yesterday. I had to make copies of my tax returns. It was free.

by Anonymousreply 30April 7, 2021 7:56 PM

Sorry, R16. Bad day. Certainly not racist and neither was my original comment. Have a nice evening.

by Anonymousreply 31April 8, 2021 12:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!