Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are you good at home repair and general projects around the house?

I'm sick of hiring someone for every little thing and would like to start taking on some minor home improvement projects.

by Anonymousreply 21April 7, 2021 7:02 PM

Well, OP I can do some very limited stuff with plumbing if the sink is stopped up, or the disposal jams, or the toilet is fucked up. And I can spackle, sand, and paint, but no. What I have done, do not laugh, is watch You Tube videos. They have a damned video for every thing. And whether you do the work yourself or hire someone, it is always vey smart to know WTF is going on when you have a problem. If the contractor feels like you are knowledgeable and you understand what's going on they will do a much better job. And you can ask good questions to keep them on their toes. This also works with car repairs.

by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2021 3:21 PM

I second watching YouTube to see how to fix something. Doesn’t matter if you want to do it yourself, or know what the handyman or tradesman is up to.

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2021 3:35 PM

Nope- I pay people to do everything correctly the first time. I stay at the office and generate cash to pay them all.

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2021 3:43 PM

I've been trying to repair my oven all day but I have tiny little T-Rex arms and can't reach half of what I need to. So the answer is APPARENTLY NOT.

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2021 3:45 PM

I'm randomly good at home electrics (which in the UK is saying something, as a light fitting can have 10 wires behind it), I just 'get it'.

I have rewired my 100 year old house, including replacing the 'fuse box' with a new box with circuit breakers. I had it inspected and certified and saved about £6,000 ($9,000).

I'm hopeless at plumbing though, it always leaks.

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2021 3:52 PM

I'd also recommend YouTube. Tons of handy people on there. It's a great resource for anything you don't need a licensed personal for. I learned how to deglaze my old double-hung windows and replace broken sash cords from YouTube. They're usually created by handymen and homeowners who are just nerdy about that kind of stuff, and they love sharing information. Lots of good outdoor/gardening vids on YouTube as well.

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2021 3:54 PM

There can be no one worse than me. Utterly helpless.

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 3:56 PM

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2021 3:58 PM

When I bought my house I became handy out of necessity. As others have said, there is a YouTube video for everything. However, the two things I will leave 100% to professionals are electrical work and tree cutting. Not risking my life to save money.

by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2021 4:07 PM

I remember asking a wealthy young Gay guy if he did any of the work on his recently renovated home. His reply, " "I don't know a thing about renovating a house, but I do know how to write checks"

by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2021 4:11 PM

Am I good? NOOOOO.

by Anonymousreply 11April 7, 2021 5:24 PM

Yes. I own several tool belts and I drive a pick-up.

by Anonymousreply 12April 7, 2021 5:42 PM

I'm gay and Jewish OP.

What do you think?

by Anonymousreply 13April 7, 2021 5:43 PM

Lesbians are. Or at least they like to pose as such.

by Anonymousreply 14April 7, 2021 6:06 PM

I’m pretty good... if I’m not I hire out.

by Anonymousreply 15April 7, 2021 6:09 PM

Nope. I'm with R3. I'm not going to break it further, just to have it be a larger bill. Have it fixed correctly the first time.

by Anonymousreply 16April 7, 2021 6:13 PM

I'm with r12.

My dad taught me a lot of stuff growing up. He wanted me to be able to take care of myself, my living space and my equipment. Now I can do quite a few things on my own from drywall repair to installing a dishwasher to minor carpentry work.

After I got my first place and before my dad got too far gone mentally, he would come over and supervise me as I fixed or installed something. Once I do something with my hands, I remember it. He really helped me become self sufficient and self confident in the "fix it/make it" arena.

After dad was gone, I turned to youtube. It's a great resource, OP, for any sort of repair. I'd you don't like one video on a subject, there are dozens more to choose from.

There are also tons of books out there if you learn by reading. You can read about it then watch a video.

by Anonymousreply 17April 7, 2021 6:30 PM

It’s good to work with ones hands.

by Anonymousreply 18April 7, 2021 6:31 PM

"I'm gay and Jewish OP.

What do you think?"

Not very handy, but I'll bet you're a wonder at running a men's clothing store

by Anonymousreply 19April 7, 2021 6:54 PM

I recommend watching a number of Youtube videos on a repair question, some of those people are idiots.

by Anonymousreply 20April 7, 2021 7:00 PM

Honey, I'm gay. The only repair I do around the house is to my figurines.

by Anonymousreply 21April 7, 2021 7:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!