Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

They’re going after Hollywood and Broadway’s biggest cunt, Scott Rudin

I think he posts here. KEEP CUNTING, SCOTT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600April 25, 2021 10:03 PM

Can’t wait for the “talent” to be asked to comment!

by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2021 2:46 PM

At least he had the guts to do it!

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2021 2:49 PM

[quote]One recent Rudin assistant says the mercurial producer threw a baked potato at his head in 2018 for not knowing why someone from indie distributor A24 was in the lobby. "I went into the kitchen, and I was like, 'Hey, Scott, A24 is on the way up. I'm not sure what it's concerning,' " he says. "And he flipped out, like, 'Nobody told me A24 was on my schedule.' He threw it at me, and I dodged a big potato. He was like, 'Well, find out, and get me a new potato.' "

He IS a Datalounger!

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2021 2:51 PM

This has been common knowledge for over 30 years. Almost everyone who has worked for him has been fired AT LEAST once.

It's long overdue. I can't understand how he has been so successful and people still work with him when he is SOOOO ABUSIVE. This man takes it to another level.

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2021 2:53 PM

Nancy Pelosi throws phones. He's an amateur.

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2021 2:53 PM

I loved him in the Sony email leaks.

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2021 2:54 PM

R4: He works in Hollywood. That’s why.

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 2:54 PM

May he get the comeuppance he so richly deserves.

by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2021 3:00 PM

How has no one thrown anything back at him? At some point someone, even if it's just one person, must have said ENOUGH and smashed potatoes in his face.

by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2021 3:00 PM

At l;east he has becoming eyeglass frames!

by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2021 3:01 PM

is he of the Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 11April 7, 2021 3:01 PM

Because they're afraid they'll never work in Hollywood again, R9. And Rudin would embroil them in very long and every expensive legal proceedings.

by Anonymousreply 12April 7, 2021 3:02 PM

After reading that article I feel like punching him in the face. Did anyone ever smack him back after getting bullied so aggressively? Rudin probably knows who he could get away with terrorizing and who not to me with

by Anonymousreply 13April 7, 2021 3:03 PM

R11 Duh

by Anonymousreply 14April 7, 2021 3:03 PM

The Sony leak was the best read ever and Rudin was hilarious. I'm sure Angie is still clenching her fists over it.

by Anonymousreply 15April 7, 2021 3:04 PM

I get that r12 but what I'm saying is that I don't understand why there wasn't ONE person who said, fuck it, I don't need Hollywood, and threw shit right back at him.

by Anonymousreply 16April 7, 2021 3:10 PM

He eats POTATOES? He IS a MONSTER!

by Anonymousreply 17April 7, 2021 3:16 PM

Who gives a fuck? If you don’t want to stand for the abuse, leave. He’s not Harvey W., who set out to destroy the careers of people who would sleep with him, he’s just a mega-asshole boss. Walk away and his power over you evaporates.

by Anonymousreply 18April 7, 2021 3:21 PM

Shut up, R18. The toad is a fucking psychopath who belongs in jail for multiple assaults.

by Anonymousreply 19April 7, 2021 3:26 PM

The Hollywood Reporter is owned by Penske Media Corporation. Jay Penske is the CEO and his father has close ties to trump. The father also received a presidential medal of freedom from trump. It’s probably fair to say there is some bias there.

by Anonymousreply 20April 7, 2021 3:27 PM

R18, no one should have to make career compromises because of an abusive boss.

by Anonymousreply 21April 7, 2021 3:28 PM

If there was even a hint at a sexual indiscretion, he'd be toast. But since he's only committing horrific mental abuse, he'll get a pass.

by Anonymousreply 22April 7, 2021 3:32 PM

Didn’t he get the memo that only entitled histrionic incest-surviving white women seething with scornful anger, and passive-aggressive black women who side eye you with pursed lips & use the race card to get what they want can demand everyone around nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 23April 7, 2021 3:33 PM

It’s fair to say Rudin is a psychopath, R20. No bias needed. The story writes itself.

by Anonymousreply 24April 7, 2021 3:33 PM

Scott has people who scour the message boards to defend him whenever possible. Expect them to show up here soon.

by Anonymousreply 25April 7, 2021 3:35 PM

I worked for a female boss who was a psychotic covert gaslighting mental abuser, it was hell on earth. I’d take a loaded baked potato to the skull any day over that bullshit, at least you know the temperature of the room with old Scott.

by Anonymousreply 26April 7, 2021 3:35 PM

A friend of mine is a friend/associate of his. I’ll ask him if he knows about any of this stuff.

by Anonymousreply 27April 7, 2021 3:37 PM

So the worst thing he ever did was throw a baked potato at somebody's head? That automatically makes him one of the nicest people in Hollywood. That's child's play compared to 90% of what goes on in that town.

by Anonymousreply 28April 7, 2021 3:38 PM

What is your friend doing associating with the likes of him, R27? Bullies like this turn my stomach.

by Anonymousreply 29April 7, 2021 3:39 PM

R29 I hate Cunts like you. Grow a pair.

by Anonymousreply 30April 7, 2021 3:40 PM

[quote] He’s not Harvey W., who set out to destroy the careers of people who would sleep with him, he’s just a mega-asshole boss.

I thought Harvey destroyed the careers of those who DID NOT sleep with him?

by Anonymousreply 31April 7, 2021 3:40 PM

[quote]the Oscar-winning producer was enraged that one of his assistants failed to get him a seat on a sold-out flight. In a fit of fury, he allegedly smashed an Apple computer monitor on the assistant's hand. The screen shattered, leaving the young man bleeding and in need of immediate medical attention. One person in the office at the time described the incident as sounding like a car crash: a cacophonous collision of metal, glass and limb. The wounded assistant headed to the emergency room, and Rudin called his lawyer, according to another staffer there that Halloween afternoon.

Still "child's play," r28?

by Anonymousreply 32April 7, 2021 3:43 PM

[quote]This has been common knowledge for over 30 years.

Yeah, I'm just surprised he was able to get away with it for this long.

by Anonymousreply 33April 7, 2021 3:45 PM

How long until all the Hollywood cunts line up to “speak out against this unacceptable behavior”?

by Anonymousreply 34April 7, 2021 3:45 PM

I knew somebody who was a PA on a film of his. She was fired 3 times. One time it was because she didn't answer the phone on the first ring and she was deliberately wasting his time. ??

This was before cell phones.

He has a very impressive resume - he's one of the most successful producers ever. Just imagine if he hadn't been a complete asshole - you have to wonder how many people have turned down work with him because of it.

by Anonymousreply 35April 7, 2021 3:48 PM

R34, Exactly. That is why I can't stand all their sanctmonis screechings. All the abusers and perverts that still flourish in Hollywood to this day.

by Anonymousreply 36April 7, 2021 3:51 PM

R35 who turned down work? Middle management people? No Hollywood stars turned him down because he throws stuff. People are lazy, he gets shit done. Nothing will ever get done once the millennial coddle lovers takeover.

by Anonymousreply 37April 7, 2021 3:53 PM

Anyone who can defend his shit must be an abuser themselves.

by Anonymousreply 38April 7, 2021 3:58 PM

I've posted this before. I was an assistant to Rudin in the 90s. I survived 7 months, which is pretty good. The worst he did to me, aside from screaming, is throw a bagel at my head. The worst thing that happened while I was there was him locking one assistant in a closet. It was on a Saturday and nobody found her for like 6 hours.

Also, I was told not to tell him that I was gay. He liked to hire good-looking straight guys so he could abuse them. I only knew of one other gay guy and lasted for a year because he had an encyclopedic knowledge of Broadway musicals (Rudin's one soft spot). Weirdly, a few years later he saw me at a restaurant and hit on me. I'm not sure he remembered who I was.

A bigger self-hating fag you will never find.

by Anonymousreply 39April 7, 2021 4:11 PM

R39 - I can believe it. He's a gay man who hates gay men because he's a disgusting, fat, abusive pig.

It is wild how long he has been able to get away with this behavior. I'd take a Weinstein massage over this mental and physically abusive asshole any day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 40April 7, 2021 4:21 PM

It’s amazing that the assistant who got his hand smashed by a computer monitor and ended up going to the hospital didn’t file a police report and sue the shit out of Rudin.

by Anonymousreply 41April 7, 2021 4:25 PM

He's gone through every general management team and every ad agency on Broadway. People know life is too short. And what he did to Joey Parnes and his team was brutal.

by Anonymousreply 42April 7, 2021 4:34 PM

What did Whoopi say? No, seriously Whoopi said something.

by Anonymousreply 43April 7, 2021 4:36 PM

[quote] What is your friend doing associating with the likes of him, [R27]? Bullies like this turn my stomach.

Because my friend is not in a position to say “No, we will not work with Scott Rudin,” because Rudin’s power and previous success speaks for itself, and my friend isn’t going to single-handedly corral a bunch of other industry players who are at or below Rudin’s level to reject his involvement in a huge project.

If he were a child molester, yeah. But if he’s just a potato-throwing asshole? Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 44April 7, 2021 4:37 PM

Exactly, R41.

I've been working as an executive assistant for nearly 15 years. I've worked for great people and I've worked for assholes. Though I took some abuse from the assholes (it's kind of built into the job), there are lines I will not allow them to cross and one of them is throwing something at me. If you throw something at me, your ass better duck because it's coming right back at you. I don't care how much I want or need the job, I just would not put up with it. My mother always told us growing up that a person can only do to you what you LET them do to you, and, once they see you're weak, there's no end to what they will do to you. That's not judging anyone who worked for Rudin and took his abuse, just saying you have to draw the line somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 45April 7, 2021 4:38 PM

Can you read, R44? Cause I don’t think you read the article if you think he’s “just a potato-throwing asshole.”

by Anonymousreply 46April 7, 2021 4:40 PM

They’ve written a book about him: “The No-Rudin Rule”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 7, 2021 4:44 PM

Jodie Foster didn't like working with him. He produced one of her directing projects.

by Anonymousreply 48April 7, 2021 4:44 PM

By the way, I also work in the entertainment industry and for some very powerful people and none of them act like that. There are a few jerks certainly but most of them are decent people. So my point is that Rudin doesn't act like that because he has to, he acts like that because he's a fucking asshole and people let him get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 49April 7, 2021 4:44 PM

Does anyone else get a large floating rectangular advertisement in the center of the article that comes and goes and you have read a line or two at a time above or below it?

by Anonymousreply 50April 7, 2021 4:53 PM

What is this, a coffee klatch, R50?!

by Anonymousreply 51April 7, 2021 4:56 PM

Megan Ellison, whom Rudin mocked in the Sony emails, chimes in

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 7, 2021 4:57 PM

Gays are always thrown to the wolves.

by Anonymousreply 53April 7, 2021 5:14 PM

[quote]Yeah, I'm just surprised he was able to get away with it for this long.

American culture used to tolerate - even lionize - abusive bosses. That worm is turning.

by Anonymousreply 54April 7, 2021 5:15 PM

All the stories I've heard about Scott involve abusive behavior, but not sexually abuse or assault. Isn't it odd that a closeted gay man of his age would not use his position in the industry to exploit young, hopefuls?

Btw, Rudin is nice to actors and directors he saves his bile for the assistant class. At least that is my experience and observation, anyone have stories that contradict?

by Anonymousreply 55April 7, 2021 5:16 PM

"Nice to actors and directors"? WTF...Are you kidding? He will turn on anyone. He screamed at Whoopi, and everyone else has a story. I can't believe his assistants are on this thread trying to protect the idea that "he's good at what he does so he's allowed to be mean to assistants." Wow...He must be scared. If you make lists of all his films and all his broadway, at the end of the day he has the same track record as many. He just does more and he does it louder. No one talks about "Shuffle Along" or "The Wild Party" or some other huge Broadway flops. It's only Dolly and To Kill a Mockingbird.

by Anonymousreply 56April 7, 2021 5:25 PM

Why did he scream at Whoopi? I heard he was super ass kissy with Celebs. I wasn't kidding, just what I heard

by Anonymousreply 57April 7, 2021 5:27 PM

I knew he was a cunt, but jesus, those stories. It would be great to see him get some payback.

by Anonymousreply 58April 7, 2021 5:32 PM

[quote]'Well, find out, and get me a new potato.' "

And they fired me for throwing a SALAD?

by Anonymousreply 59April 7, 2021 5:32 PM

Yeah, these stories sound like just scratching the surface, I was expecting much more salacious.

by Anonymousreply 60April 7, 2021 5:33 PM

90% of crew members on every production are entitled douchebags who dream of having the job and clout of Scott Rudin

by Anonymousreply 61April 7, 2021 5:42 PM

i have attacked multiple Dataloungers for claiming PR reps come on here. Ive been accused of being a PR rep multiple times as well which is annoying. But would I be surprised if R20 is a PR rep? Nope.

Rudin has such a constant stream of employees that there are no rumors about him. its all true. and we all know it because everyone knows people who worked for him. He is an insane person. In any other industry he would have been fired and institutionalized.

by Anonymousreply 62April 7, 2021 5:46 PM

R49 you've never worked at a top agency if you think none of them act like that

by Anonymousreply 63April 7, 2021 5:46 PM

Oof

by Anonymousreply 64April 7, 2021 5:46 PM

Hollywood has become more corporate over past few decades. Rudins behavior is not normal. Its also not drug related. He's just a crazy violent motherfucker. Agencies couldnt put up with that kind of behavior today.

by Anonymousreply 65April 7, 2021 5:48 PM

R95 you don't what you're talking about

by Anonymousreply 66April 7, 2021 5:51 PM

Hollywood studios and unions didn't start offering sexual harassment training until TWO YEARS AGO, and most have not completed it or it has not stuck. It is still an unregulated wild west.

by Anonymousreply 67April 7, 2021 5:53 PM

R66 how do you know what 95 will say, are you Jean Dixon?

by Anonymousreply 68April 7, 2021 6:03 PM

This is an open secret and anyone on DL defending SR is purposely missing the point. All the shared stories so far are just barely scratching the surface of the toxicity. I've had plenty of friends work in his offices and the story is always the same: run away, as quickly as you possibly can.

by Anonymousreply 69April 7, 2021 6:13 PM

I've been waiting for this hammer to drop. SR is awful to fellow producers, writers, you name it. And if he's terrible to people with power, you can imagine how he is with those working in his office.

BTW, SR's not in the closet, so referring to him as a closeted gay man is incorrect. The truth is he's not particularly interested in sex, which is possibly why he has such rage issues.

by Anonymousreply 70April 7, 2021 6:28 PM

R65 yes they do

by Anonymousreply 71April 7, 2021 6:29 PM

It’s not as though he threw a raw potato. That can do some real damage. (See the Chicago Potato Riot of 1915). A baked potato is soft and mushy.

by Anonymousreply 72April 7, 2021 6:30 PM

[quote] The truth is he's not particularly interested in sex, which is possibly why he has such rage issues.

Yes. He just needs a few good poundings.

by Anonymousreply 73April 7, 2021 6:31 PM

Kind sincere people don't have their end-all goal to work in the entertainment business

by Anonymousreply 74April 7, 2021 6:32 PM

[quote] Nancy Pelosi throws phones.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 75April 7, 2021 6:32 PM

He’s Faye Dunaway.

by Anonymousreply 76April 7, 2021 6:35 PM

What happens to skittish reluctant HR reps who tries to throw weight and address the sexually inappropriate of the most powerful agents in Hollywood?

They get fired!

by Anonymousreply 77April 7, 2021 6:40 PM

[quote] If there was even a hint at a sexual indiscretion, he'd be toast. But since he's only committing horrific mental abuse, he'll get a pass.

Joss Whedon would like a word.

by Anonymousreply 78April 7, 2021 6:40 PM

Rudin has a husband named John Barlow who runs a PR agency. So it's not like he's living like a monk. Rudin is so grossly unattractive that you never want to imagine his having sex with anyone.

I don't know why he let loose on Whoopi, but I always heard he was ass-kissy to A-list actors and directors, though it's easy to imagine his turning on the latter like a viper during a project.

Hollywood will always be like this because there are thousands more people who want to be in it than there are jobs. It's the ultimate buyers market for employment and therefore ripe for abusive behavior by those with power.

by Anonymousreply 79April 7, 2021 6:44 PM

“Several people I spoke to for this Scott Rudin piece told me they spoke to the NY Times last year for a similar exposé. Obviously, it never ran. I'm not sure why.”

“ I made some progress last year on the [Bryan] Singer front. But there's obviously more there.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 7, 2021 6:54 PM

Old Hollywood was run like the mafia. The studios had their own police force. They covered up rapes and everything else under the sun.

by Anonymousreply 81April 7, 2021 6:55 PM

I remember someone hypothesized that Harvey Weinstein's dysfunction came from his desire for this kind of elitist and WASPish prestige which he could not reconcile with his own slovenlyness and inescapable Jewishness. Rudin appears cut from the same cloth.

by Anonymousreply 82April 7, 2021 6:55 PM

Unless the baked potato had sour cream or chili on it, it's not that big of a deal.

by Anonymousreply 83April 7, 2021 6:59 PM

How is it that Scott Rudin and Joss Whedon have been exposed as pricks but not Michael Bay? He sounds and looks like a coked-up whore.

by Anonymousreply 84April 7, 2021 7:00 PM

Using "cunt" in your thread title and "cunting" in your post are both sure to get you more WWs and more clicks here on WW!

Well done!

by Anonymousreply 85April 7, 2021 7:07 PM

"Rudin himself pegged the number of assistants he burned through in the previous five years at 119."

He admittedly went through ONE HUNDRED AND NINETEEN assistants in 5 years. That's 24 a year. That means every other week he fired an assistant.

And that's just 5 years.

Unfortunately, I've seen very abusive people be protected in the business world time and time again. It's disgusting, particularly when EVERYONE KNOWS.

by Anonymousreply 86April 7, 2021 7:10 PM

A shanda fur die goyim.

by Anonymousreply 87April 7, 2021 7:13 PM

It's amazing that he lasted so long. And most of these people sound more than happy to talk and see his downfall.

What a horrible person.

by Anonymousreply 88April 7, 2021 7:14 PM

[quote] It’s amazing that the assistant who got his hand smashed by a computer monitor and ended up going to the hospital didn’t file a police report and sue the shit out of Rudin.

Almost certainly he got an enormous payoff so long as he promised in writing not to press charges.

by Anonymousreply 89April 7, 2021 7:16 PM

I actually had a date with him, many many years ago, when he was still on the way up. It was horrible -- he never asked me anything about myself and instead spent all his time sucking up to the person who had set us up and who was there at dinner with us as though he knew Scott needed a chaperone -- someone who was, at the time, much more powerful than Scott was.

I also found him to be one of the most physically unattractive people I'd ever met, not just because of his looks but because his dark soul seeps into and fully saturates his face.

by Anonymousreply 90April 7, 2021 7:21 PM

The posters on this thread who are saying "So what? Who cares? he's successful, so if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" are why this kind of behavior has continued to flourish in Hollywood, and why people like Rudin and Weinstein have been so successful and also why they feel their predatory and abusive behavior is not only tolerated but encouraged.

by Anonymousreply 91April 7, 2021 7:22 PM

Towards the bottom of the article:

[quote]Several sources say that the victim of the computer monitor incident received three associate producing credits in addition to a monetary settlement.

by Anonymousreply 92April 7, 2021 7:22 PM

He’s a pretty spectacular POS, but he’s not the only one.

by Anonymousreply 93April 7, 2021 7:27 PM

That's Hollywood Jews for you.

by Anonymousreply 94April 7, 2021 7:56 PM

r90, the couple you were with - were they a celebrity couple?

If so, I think we might know each other. Does "SpaceCamp" mean anything to you?

by Anonymousreply 95April 7, 2021 8:11 PM

There was this one time at SpaceCamp....

by Anonymousreply 96April 7, 2021 8:20 PM

Isn't Scott Rudin a diaper fetishist?

by Anonymousreply 97April 7, 2021 8:40 PM

I’m surprised that the fact he locked someone in a closet for 6 hours isn’t getting more traction.

by Anonymousreply 98April 7, 2021 8:46 PM

R98 - it's because she forgot to change his diaper.

by Anonymousreply 99April 7, 2021 8:50 PM

Jewish diaper fetishists are notoriously volatile.

by Anonymousreply 100April 7, 2021 8:53 PM

So he has physically assaulted people on numerous occasions. He's a criminal AND an EGOT. I don't know where people get the energy for all of this.

by Anonymousreply 101April 7, 2021 8:57 PM

He threw dirty diapers at them.

by Anonymousreply 102April 7, 2021 9:00 PM

Scott is well-known for caning his male assistants on their bare buttocks for the slightest mistake.

by Anonymousreply 103April 7, 2021 9:05 PM

R42 What did he do to Joey Parnes?

He's going through investors too. The financial statements for the Midler Hello Dolly claimed it only made $5 million in profit. Not helped by the fact they were spending $150,000 a week on advertising for a show which was sold out.

I do love the THR found a photo to use which has both Kevin Spacey and Armie Hammer in it.

by Anonymousreply 104April 7, 2021 9:09 PM

[quote] It’s amazing that the assistant who got his hand smashed by a computer monitor and ended up going to the hospital didn’t file a police report and sue the shit out of Rudin.

He got three producing credits AND a monetary settlement. I am sure that settlement was in the high 7 figures. Getting his hand smashed was a career-making 'accident.'

by Anonymousreply 105April 7, 2021 9:14 PM

All this hand-wringing and pearl-clutching is idiotic. People let Rudin "get away" with his behavior for the same reason they let Weinstein run amok: because he makes money and wins awards in Hollywood *and* on Broadway, and most people who flock to the entertainment industry are willing to do anything/anyone to accrue even half the success that Rudin has achieved. Once Harvey got old and his power faded it was safe to turn on him, same with Rudin, negative stories about whom have been circulating in the press (including the Reporter) since at least 2014. Since it's such an open secret that Rudin is a raging, hemorrhoid-encrusted asshole, then why was there still a pool of hungry 20-somethings willing to be his assistant?

by Anonymousreply 106April 7, 2021 9:47 PM

R95 -- No, it wasn't couple who set me up with Scott -- it was a very powerful person in the industry (at the time, now his star has faded) who thought, for some godforsaken reason, that we would be a match. As I said, it was one of the worst dates of my life. (Because of my career, I've had a number of set-ups with rather famous people, women and men -- I came out later in life -- and everyone of them was unpleasant. Once I got my life together, I never dated anyone even remotely famous again.)

by Anonymousreply 107April 7, 2021 9:58 PM

Rudin should have courted you harder, R107.

Because the one he settled for is no catch. Oh, no, no, no, no, no.

by Anonymousreply 108April 7, 2021 10:03 PM

Who wouldn't want Scott Rudin signed on to produce and raise money for their movie?

by Anonymousreply 109April 7, 2021 10:04 PM

Apparently everyone, r109.

by Anonymousreply 110April 7, 2021 10:08 PM

"No, it wasn't couple who set me up with Scott "

Ahhh, ok. I was friends with a guy right after I left Rudin's employ who went on a date with him. I guess I can say this, but they were with Johnny Depp and Kate Moss. This friend (who I haven't spoke to in many years) had a very similar reaction to yours. Totally grossed out.

Good to hear you've moved on from all that.

by Anonymousreply 111April 7, 2021 10:12 PM

R110 Huh?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 7, 2021 10:14 PM

Vile, disgusting, and beyond obnoxious. I met the man in the 90s and spent a few hours with him over the course of a few weeks and he still shocks my conscious with his gross and smelly ways. The only other celeb who I personally met who was also beyond vile was Darren Star of Sex and the City.

by Anonymousreply 113April 7, 2021 10:21 PM

Same R98. Isn’t that legally kidnapping?

by Anonymousreply 114April 7, 2021 10:28 PM

Of course it is, R114. Kidnapping is a criminal charge.

In tort, that act would be false imprisonment.

I hope the girl collected a bundle for her six hours of imprisonment.

by Anonymousreply 115April 7, 2021 10:39 PM

And I always dreamt of becoming a Hollywood actor...

by Anonymousreply 116April 7, 2021 11:03 PM

Hollywood and Broadway culture actually takes sick pleasure in protecting guys like this. Re-inforces everyone's self-hatred.

by Anonymousreply 117April 8, 2021 12:22 AM

I just quit working on a high profile show. The executive on it was a monster and everyone just towed the line because they were good at their job. . I didn’t as I hated this person and thought fuck you. Very toxic work environment. They are everywhere in every profession but the entertainment industry for some reason attracts a higher percentage. I took it all to HR who will do nothing. My career will be affected. The executives will not.

by Anonymousreply 118April 8, 2021 12:29 AM

Many people learn the hard way that HR is not on your side if you don't do the hiring and firing or make decisions for the company.

by Anonymousreply 119April 8, 2021 12:32 AM

I would rather work with Rudin over Bette Midler any day. I'm sure he was terrified of her during the Hello, Dolly! run.

by Anonymousreply 120April 8, 2021 12:33 AM

[quote] and everyone just towed the line

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 121April 8, 2021 12:35 AM

R107, are you make or female?

by Anonymousreply 122April 8, 2021 12:48 AM

Oh, this dude is gay? Surprise surprise. Little bitchy diva.

by Anonymousreply 123April 8, 2021 12:49 AM

I respect a gay man who can instill fear in some of the most ruthless heterosexual assholes on the planet and beat them at their own game

by Anonymousreply 124April 8, 2021 12:51 AM

You mean like Roy Cohn, R124?

by Anonymousreply 125April 8, 2021 12:52 AM

when is it going to come out about some abusive WOMEN?

by Anonymousreply 126April 8, 2021 12:55 AM

R115, a side note: I've often wondered, why is the term "false imprisonment"? That sounds like a sting operation involving an actual fake prison. It's the adjective "false" that's throwing me.

by Anonymousreply 127April 8, 2021 12:57 AM

[quote]The Hollywood Reporter is owned by Penske Media Corporation. Jay Penske is the CEO and his father has close ties to trump. The father also received a presidential medal of freedom from trump. It’s probably fair to say there is some bias there.

That hardly means anything, Larry Ellison of Oracle is a huge Trump supporter but his showbiz daughter the aforementioned Megan Ellison is liberal

by Anonymousreply 128April 8, 2021 1:01 AM

Not to rationalize his behavior but this has been how Hollywood operates for almost a hundred years.

As someone said, everyone goes along in hopes of a bigger paycheck, fame, awards, etc.

Instead of the faux outrage there should be some accountability measures put in place by studios and producers with real teeth and consequences. Otherwise it’s just a bunch of hot air.

by Anonymousreply 129April 8, 2021 1:30 AM

R125 Roy Cohn was not openly gay

by Anonymousreply 130April 8, 2021 1:35 AM

[quote]I would rather work with Rudin over Bette Midler any day. I'm sure he was terrified of her during the Hello, Dolly! run.

Why would Rudin be terrified of Midler? He outranks her in terms of power in the biz.

I personally witnessed Linda Lavin shade Scott Rudin at a cocktail event. Lavin was talking with my partner, myself and one other person in the business. Rudin came up interrupted the conversation and stuck his hand out to Lavin with some overture of praise. Lavin looked him up and down and without saying a word or offering her hand back, walked away. My partner thinking he was rescuing her from offending a powerful producer said "Linda, you know this is Scott Rudin" and Lavin said "Yes I know, who it is" and she walked away leaving Rudin with his hand out. He made some feeble joke and also left. Maybe he has gay panic around divas

by Anonymousreply 131April 8, 2021 1:40 AM

Viola knew.

by Anonymousreply 132April 8, 2021 1:44 AM

[quote] [R125] Roy Cohn was not openly gay

Neither did the comment I responded to mention anything about being open.

[quote] I respect a gay man who can instill fear in some of the most ruthless heterosexual assholes on the planet and beat them at their own game

by Anonymousreply 133April 8, 2021 1:48 AM

I love that the Hollywood Reporter included a photo from 2011 with Rudin, Armie Hammer, and Kevin Spacey on stage together to receive an award. A picture is worth a thousand words.

by Anonymousreply 134April 8, 2021 1:48 AM

R133 it was a reference to Scott Rudin - AN OPENLY GAY MAN - and you compared him to Roy Cohn - A CLOSETED GAY MAN.

by Anonymousreply 135April 8, 2021 1:50 AM

I responded specifically to the comment. If you can't understand that, then sit down.

Also, everyone Roy Cohn tangled with knew he was gay. Just because he didn't publicly admit it doesn't mean EVERYONE didn't know it.

by Anonymousreply 136April 8, 2021 1:51 AM

R136 I am sitting down Mr. Contrarian. You obviously know it was praising Scott Rudin being openly gay in the ruthless hetero Hollywood world.

by Anonymousreply 137April 8, 2021 1:54 AM

Yeah, R136, I don't get why being an openly gay man is helpful in this situation. It's never ok to beat and terrorize your subordinates.

by Anonymousreply 138April 8, 2021 1:55 AM

R138 tell Scott Rudin that and see what he says

by Anonymousreply 139April 8, 2021 1:56 AM

I’m not understanding the problem here.

by Anonymousreply 140April 8, 2021 1:57 AM

This thread wouldn't have any replies if Rudin was straight

by Anonymousreply 141April 8, 2021 1:58 AM

Was Rudin "hands on " with To Kill A Mockingbird? Who are the "nice producers " on Broadway and Hollywood? Jordan Roth? He doesn't seem evil at all

by Anonymousreply 142April 8, 2021 1:58 AM

At a Broadway League Spring Road Conference party he walked right up to me looked at my name tag and gave me a hug. He asked how I as doing etc. He's since done the same thing every time I've run into him. I have no idea why. I passed him early one morning on West 44th Street and he was clearly in a hurry rushing to Café Une Deux Trois probably for a meeting and he stopped to say hello. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 143April 8, 2021 2:00 AM

Will a Tropic Thunder hit? 😂 Wasn't Tom Cruise's character in that movie based on him?

I had no idea he was a Datalounger.

The comments at this Deadline article are great. Deadline is known to attract a lot of pissed low level employees to comment on articles that no one reads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144April 8, 2021 2:08 AM

Les Grossman was based on Joel Silver.

by Anonymousreply 145April 8, 2021 2:21 AM

[quote]Nancy Pelosi throws phones.

Uhhh, so does Scott Rudin. I distinctly remember an article that was written years ago in which his assistants placed an inconspicuous peice of tape on the floor of his office so they knew where it was safe to stand so as not to get hit when he flung the phone at them. He did it often enough and someone got wise to place a marker on the floor. The article was originally linked here on DL in the early 2000's and has probably been scrubbed from the internet. I remember this because I shared it with my coworkers at the time. I had worked in a box office that dealt with his office often. We even referred to him privately amongst ourselves as "scott-fucking-rudin." Occasionally an assistant would show up to pick up tickets for him and we often felt bad for them because we knew that working for him must have been so unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 146April 8, 2021 2:34 AM

R141 - blinks in Joss Whedon-

by Anonymousreply 147April 8, 2021 7:49 AM

R131 Great story. Linda Lavin is one of DL's favorites to malign, but she wins me over assuming your story is true.

R146 I think it was Gawker that wrote the article, 10 Worst Bosses (or something like that).

by Anonymousreply 148April 8, 2021 8:50 AM

He was always a gentlemen around me. I've never even heard of this behaviour until now.

by Anonymousreply 149April 8, 2021 9:12 AM

Hopefully he'll go to the same prison as Harvey Weinstein and the two can finally bone. They hate each other but were made for one another (homo/het mirrors).

by Anonymousreply 150April 8, 2021 11:06 AM

[quote]Instead of the faux outrage there should be some accountability measures put in place by studios and producers with real teeth and consequences. Otherwise it’s just a bunch of hot air.

Completely agreed, though this comment could be true about any high profile/big dollar business; as long as senior executives bring in $$ & make shareholders happy, there is no accountability. It's only after they've fallen out of favor that the knives come out.

This thread is one of the best DL threads in a while & the story about the assistant being locked in a close for 6 hours (while horrifying) is a also a hoot. But in spite of all this, I imagine people flock to work for this guy so you can put it on your resume - no judgement here, however, because I'm sure that kind of thing goes a long way showbiz.

If anything, I kind of admire people who could survive in this world. I don't think I'd last 5 minutes

by Anonymousreply 151April 8, 2021 11:15 AM

Wait, so what did Rudin do to Joey Parnes & co.? Is that why Rudin uses a different GM now?

by Anonymousreply 152April 8, 2021 11:40 AM

By citing incidents with assistants, the article somehow doesn't capture the constancy and depth of the abuse, not for seasoned colleagues like Parnes & co and the publicists and marketing companies - like barrages of calls and emails at all hours 24/7 of the day, calling meetings with 10 minutes notice that are canceled when you arrive, constant repeated threats of being fired, bellowing with fury on every third phone call. These other companies put up with it because the money is good and they have employees to pay and he has a long history of firing them anyway, going elsewhere, then when the new company tries to quit the work because it's even worse than they expected and their employees are beyond miserable, he goes back to the company he fired and tells them it'll be different. Classic abuse. I wish the article could have evoked some of that.

by Anonymousreply 153April 8, 2021 12:14 PM

This Gawker post from 2007 is interesting, it's when they were doing their Worst Bosses series

[quote]As our tipsters have it, Rudin neatly nails every bad boss cliche, especially the one about throwing things. When he recently at long last got a Blackberry, it was viewed with mixed relief and terror by his five (yes) assistants because of the likelihood that it would soon become a projectile. Allegedly, it did. The assistants, one of whom is tasked solely with making theater reservations for Rudin, are frequently fired. Sometimes all are fired simultaneously, and when this happens they traditionally go across the street to a cafe where they await a call from the office manager to let them know they're rehired. Despite the admirably thorough division of labor, the assistants are, according to a tipster, still horribly overworked. They're also meant to be on call 24/7, and are banned from taking the subway because this renders them unreachable.

And on the 2005 WSJ article:

[quote]A 2005 Wall Street Journal article entitled Boss-Zilla (subscribers only) delved into Rudin's antics, but according to a tipster, barely scratched the surface, with good reason: while it was being researched, one of Rudin's employees was tasked with compiling a list of every single individual who had ever worked for him. This list was then called and told which stories they were permitted to share. Ostensibly they complied because of Rudin's industry clout, which makes sense to us: there is no telling what someone who will send a crate of cigarettes to Harvey Weinstein is capable of. Shiver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154April 8, 2021 1:20 PM

It's hard to explain that he's more than a [italic]mean boss[/italic]. It's oppressive dangerous damaging horror. Even throwing a Blackberry sounds like a petulant tantrum compared to the hell employees and colleagues endure.

by Anonymousreply 155April 8, 2021 2:24 PM

I loved him in Swimming with Sharks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156April 8, 2021 2:51 PM

What everyone is missing here is that all of Rudin's aggression has been calculated and strategic. He knows that fear is the most motivating force, and he's created a history of intimidation and ugliness and raw force that people can't help themselves falling for. For every Dom, there's a sub, and show business has many more subs than Doms, particularly amongst people-pleasing actors. My guess is he loved yesterday's article. He's now an ever bigger myth.

by Anonymousreply 157April 8, 2021 4:21 PM

The Twittersphere is now calling out Whoopi for her "No comment" on Rudin.

by Anonymousreply 158April 8, 2021 4:21 PM

R158, it was more of a 'no comment, no comment' than a 'no comment.'

by Anonymousreply 159April 8, 2021 4:23 PM

Another voice added...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160April 8, 2021 4:35 PM

what does America's Australian sweetheart have to say? Trouble in River City?

by Anonymousreply 161April 8, 2021 4:42 PM

Has anyone spoken to Sutton?

by Anonymousreply 162April 8, 2021 4:45 PM

My first boss in PR threw a Stapler at my head. A fucking metal stapler that embedded in the wall after he launched it and I ducked. I had two options, cry and leave or cunt out. I took cunt out. I pulled it out of the wall and told him (he did this in front of the office mind you) "I have six witnesses that you just tried to do bodily harm to me. Get fucking help or I will sue the fuck out of you" and handed him back his stapler. He went into his office and shut the door. He was gone the rest of the day. The next day, he had transitioned three of his major accounts to me and took some time off to get help. Thank god, because he probably would have really hurt someone.

by Anonymousreply 163April 8, 2021 4:50 PM

[quote]What everyone is missing here is that all of Rudin's aggression has been calculated and strategic.

No, R157. Of course he knows how to enforce a boundary and to project strength. And, of course, he knows how to be strategic in his interactions with others.

But his abuse is not a genius at work and you're a moron if you think it is. He's a malevolent narcissist who will never win enough awards to assuage his broken soul. He flies into a narcissistic rage at the slightest provocation and when he does, he really intends to hurt others. He knocks people down so that he can be on top, even if he is only on top of a pile of intimidated young people. He works in a highly speculative industry that is an endless pile of LLCs and LLPs and only cares about financial success. He wouldn't last five minutes as an employee of a large corporation. But as long as it only happens in his office, the industry treats it as his business.

by Anonymousreply 164April 8, 2021 4:59 PM

A bit of a weird question, but for those in the know: is there any particular reason Rudin hired Amar Ramasar for the West Side Story revival? For those who don't know, Amar is one of the ballet dancers at NYCB who was sending nudes of his girlfriend - without her knowing - to another dancer and one of NYCB's patrons, who would made degrading comments about the women.

It seems such an odd casting decision, as the role of Bernardo isn't so challengingly choregraphed that it needs a principal ballet dancer, and he's 38/39 so isn't age appropriate. Plus, casting him at the time of MeToo and so on just guaranteed a lot of bad publicity. And yet Rudin stuck by him. It seems an odd choice, and given there are posters here who have interacted with Rudin, wonder if any of them could cast light on that choice.

by Anonymousreply 165April 8, 2021 6:12 PM

r163 did you work for Jeffrey Richards? Was he censured for throwing a stapler?

by Anonymousreply 166April 8, 2021 6:15 PM

It's the basic problem of insecure people being in powerful positions acting unprofessional towards staff and other underlings. And getting away with it for decades.

A few reports here and there do nothing. Mock and dismiss social media's #metoo all you want, but it accomplished so much more than any legit report from a legit media outlet which barely exist, because - of course - the media is too scared to rock the boat and the vicious cycle of a status quo where "the superiors" have the privilege to mistreat "the inferiors" without repercussion. So it's best to use any advantage you can get to become a "superior" playing by the established "superiors" rules and keep that outdated "management" style alive and well.

by Anonymousreply 167April 8, 2021 6:19 PM

Scott Rudin is an abusive monster, these stories were known for decades. I feel bad for his assistants, unfortunately some of them turned into mini-Scotts themselves.

by Anonymousreply 168April 8, 2021 6:31 PM

As if Megan Ellison has any qualifications other than being the daughter of a billionaire to criticize someone who actually earned his own money and success

by Anonymousreply 169April 8, 2021 6:48 PM

He's almost as hideous-looking as that other Hollywood monster Weinstein.

by Anonymousreply 170April 8, 2021 7:52 PM

Is he a nappy fetishist?

by Anonymousreply 171April 8, 2021 7:53 PM

Isn't his husband a big Broadway publicist?

by Anonymousreply 172April 8, 2021 7:54 PM

He does look good in leather shorts though.

by Anonymousreply 173April 8, 2021 8:05 PM

The idea that he's somehow okay as a boss because people "flock to work for him" is insane.

People flocked to work for Trump, and for Idi Amin, too.

by Anonymousreply 174April 8, 2021 8:10 PM

Reasons people work for guys like Rudin: Some people are plain stupid, some are blinded by ambition, some are just glutton for punishment.

by Anonymousreply 175April 8, 2021 8:19 PM

They also imagine it can't be as bad as they've heard, or that they're forewarned/forearmed and therefore smarter or better equipped than the hundreds who have come before them.

by Anonymousreply 176April 8, 2021 8:28 PM

R176, that last point is a key one. I assume most of these people are, in fact, gifted and capable, and they think that they can handle things.

by Anonymousreply 177April 8, 2021 8:46 PM

[quote]What I'm saying is that I don't understand why there wasn't ONE person who said, fuck it, I don't need Hollywood, and threw shit right back at him.

I had the same thought, especially since some of his victims have left the entertainment industry entirely.

by Anonymousreply 178April 8, 2021 8:50 PM

Is he the kind of bully who would back down if one of these kids beat the absolute living shit out of him, or would he just press charges and keep acting like he does?

by Anonymousreply 179April 8, 2021 8:52 PM

How is this a shock? He's pretty famous in New York for treating everyone who works under him like dirt. But he's a money-maker who has a knack for success.

He's a shitty guy, but there is some truth to the old tale that if you can survive under him for a year, you can work anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 180April 8, 2021 9:00 PM

Anyone who worked for him in the last twenty years knew exactly what they were getting into and did so with their mouths agape and on their backs with knees held to their chest

by Anonymousreply 181April 8, 2021 9:01 PM

I didn't THROW a salad, a dumped it on the floor.

Get your facts straight.

by Anonymousreply 182April 8, 2021 9:05 PM

It’s not news that he’s a SOB

It’s news that he actually physically assaulted his assistants

Just like everyone knew that Weinstein was a gross womanizing pig, but it was news that he was actually a rapist

by Anonymousreply 183April 8, 2021 9:06 PM

Ugly people are often vicious bullies.

by Anonymousreply 184April 8, 2021 9:08 PM

The article makes it clear that Rubin tried to punish people who left, or even simply entertained other job offers. It sounds exactly like spousal abuse.

by Anonymousreply 185April 8, 2021 9:32 PM

The man had a brother who worked for Rudin. The brother committed suicide some time later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186April 8, 2021 9:55 PM

[quote]I worked for a female boss who was a psychotic covert gaslighting mental abuser, it was hell on earth. I’d take a loaded baked potato to the skull any day over that bullshit, at least you know the temperature of the room with old Scott.

What a sick, twisted way of looking at it. "Oh, his behavior is horrendous, but not AS horrendous as that of a (gasp!) WOMAN I worked for, so he's not THAT bad." Go to hell, immediately.

[quote]So the worst thing he ever did was throw a baked potato at somebody's head?

NO, that's not correct. Read the article, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 187April 8, 2021 10:00 PM

R187 you seem pretty level-headed yourself

by Anonymousreply 188April 8, 2021 10:14 PM

No, R172. The husband dropped out of Broadway some years ago. He was a Broadway union press agent, but not ever the most successful of them.

His office was funded by Rudin. Rather than see the weekly union salary leave the family every week, he set up his husband in his own office and then hired him to hold the required weekly contract and do the publicity for Rudin's productions. Better to pay him and put him to work that to support him?

The husband shared the office with another press agent who for some years had near legend DL status in the Theatre Gossip threads, mostly for his hairy chest.

All of this has been recounted in those toxic threads, time and time again.

by Anonymousreply 189April 8, 2021 10:50 PM

No one who ever worked for the Hollywood moguls ever recounted stuff like this about them. The worst you hear about them is they go on a screaming bender but nothing this OPENLY abusive.

by Anonymousreply 190April 8, 2021 11:31 PM

R190, that's true. Harry Cohen, the notoriously sadistic head of Columbia, never did things like this -- and he was a legend. This is on a new level.

by Anonymousreply 191April 9, 2021 1:35 AM

So the rumored NYT expose of a Broadway heavyweight that didn't come out a couple of years ago was about him?

by Anonymousreply 192April 9, 2021 1:39 AM

I have read and listened to stars accounts of all of them; Zanuck, Warner, Mayer, Thalberg, Cohen, Zukor, Laemle. To read this about any of them is at this point impossible. Everyone who knew them and worked with them is dead. And so much ink has been spilled about all of them even after they were dead and this simply didn't happen with them. If it did thousands of people kept it a secret. And why would they? So many people hated some of them.

And I've never even heard anything like this about Broadway's most notorious producer David Merrick who seemed to be everyone's enemy. Rudin exists in a different world from these men. As well as that costume designer. You know there was a casting couch but there has been nothing so abusive that has come out about people like Colt or Beaton or Wittop or Oliver Smith.

by Anonymousreply 193April 9, 2021 1:55 AM

Harry Cohn

by Anonymousreply 194April 9, 2021 1:56 AM

Well it didn't happen either with George M and he was mean.

by Anonymousreply 195April 9, 2021 1:59 AM

Is Scooter Flo Ziegfeld level asshole?

by Anonymousreply 196April 9, 2021 2:03 AM

I must say though Arthur Freed did not act very gentlemanly at times. Talk to Shirley Temple or Barrie Chase. His creep factor was off the charts. It has put a bit of a crimp in enjoying the great films of his unit. Did all the great performers and writers and musicians involved with his musicals not know this was going on?

by Anonymousreply 197April 9, 2021 2:25 AM

[quote]All the stories I've heard about Scott involve abusive behavior, but not sexually abuse or assault. Isn't it odd that a closeted gay man of his age would not use his position in the industry to exploit young, hopefuls?

Umm, I don't how this idea that he is "closeted" has suddenly arisen. As some others have noted, he has a long-term male partner, now his husband, who used to be one of the top theatrical press agents.

[quote]If you make lists of all his films and all his broadway, at the end of the day he has the same track record as many. He just does more and he does it louder. No one talks about "Shuffle Along" or "The Wild Party" or some other huge Broadway flops. It's only Dolly and To Kill a Mockingbird.

Also, apparently, at least some of his Broadway successes are "prestige" hits that actually make little or no money -- partly because he spends so much on them. Wasn't it reported that the Broadway run of HELLO, DOLLY! made only a tiny profit even though it was perceived as a huge hit? Given that bit of info, it's all the more surprising that his epic abuse has been tolerated so long, but he does have some pretty big films to his credit, so I guess that's the reason.

[quote]Rudin has a husband named John Barlow who runs a PR agency.

Used to run. That agency no longer exists, and Barlow is no longer working in PR. As far as I know, he has just been a sort of a house husband for years, though I could be wrong about that, maybe he has some projects I'm unaware of.

[quote]I remember someone hypothesized that Harvey Weinstein's dysfunction came from his desire for this kind of elitist and WASPish prestige which he could not reconcile with his own slovenlyness and inescapable Jewishness

Does that really make any sense? Aren't there still a lot of Jewish power brokers in Hollywood -- and on Broadway, for that matter?

by Anonymousreply 198April 9, 2021 3:27 AM

I can see Sutton bailing from The Music Man.

by Anonymousreply 199April 9, 2021 3:36 AM

R198, there is a belief by some that Hollywood was an expression of Jewish anxiety and even self-hatred. The founders of Hollywood were desperate to be seen as "real" Americans -- the WASP kind, preferably. All the actors had to lose weight, get their noses fixed, and have their names changed to eradicate any suggestion of ethnic identity. All of the early moguls were taunted about their garment industry origins no matter how powerful they became. Louis B. Mayer, I believe, had been a furrier, and Samuel Goldwyn a glove maker, and people loved to remind them of that.

by Anonymousreply 200April 9, 2021 3:43 AM

As we've learned, even fucking and marrying the underage daughter of your girlfriend like Woody Allen won't keep the most famous, richest and successful actors of all time from working with you for their own personal gain.

by Anonymousreply 201April 9, 2021 3:47 AM

[quote]As if Megan Ellison has any qualifications other than being the daughter of a billionaire to criticize someone who actually earned his own money and success

I don't believe she's judging him on his business acumen or his taste and talent as a producer, you idiot.

by Anonymousreply 202April 9, 2021 3:58 AM

R202 oh really you dumb fuck

by Anonymousreply 203April 9, 2021 4:00 AM

Megan Ellison hasn't done anything but written checks for movies that her Dad pays for and has never had to work a day in her life

by Anonymousreply 204April 9, 2021 4:04 AM

R202, so you think Megan Ellison IS judging Rudin on his business acumen and his taste and talent as a producer? If so, you are indeed an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 205April 9, 2021 4:07 AM

Mayer tried to make overtures to Katherine Grayson and when she refused he called her a bitch. She said they never used language like that home and she called him the worst thing she could think of-a pants presser. He then had one of his famous heart attacks.

by Anonymousreply 206April 9, 2021 4:11 AM

R205 maybe you could go back to the counter at the vaginal steam clinic and talk about all those big bad men you've been victimized by

by Anonymousreply 207April 9, 2021 4:12 AM

R205 your use of acumen was insufferable the first of the three times

by Anonymousreply 208April 9, 2021 4:14 AM

NOTHING worse than an idiot in love with a new word

by Anonymousreply 209April 9, 2021 4:17 AM

R207, you are unhinged. I would suggest you go work for Rudin, as you'd probably be like two peas in a pod. But he'll probably never work again.

R208, two times. I'm sorry if BIG WORDS of three syllables intimidate you. P.S. Piss off.

R209, "acumen" is not a new word to me, but it obviously is to you. At least you learned something, if you bothered to look it up.

by Anonymousreply 210April 9, 2021 4:18 AM

R210 lower your dosage queen

by Anonymousreply 211April 9, 2021 4:26 AM

Investors in "Hello, Dolly!" couldn't get in unless they also invested in two other Rudin productions, including that horrible "Glass Menagerie" that pompous director Sam Gold obliterated (and made a living hell for its Laura, Madison Ferris), and not only did the other productions tank, the gold expected from Bette as Dolly never transpired because Rudin spent so much money on advertising and marketing even after the show was pretty much sold out. My producer friends said they'd never work with him again because the return on investment was so low and negligible, and that was before this nasty, overdue article came out.

by Anonymousreply 212April 9, 2021 9:45 AM

[quote] even fucking and marrying the underage daughter of your girlfriend like Woody Allen won't keep the most famous, richest and successful actors of all time from working with you for their own personal gain.

but r201 there's no analogy. Woody's "transgressions" were about his [italic]personal[/italic] life, and these Rudin claims are all about his work behavior.

by Anonymousreply 213April 9, 2021 11:53 AM

[quote]The gold expected from Bette as Dolly never transpired because Rudin spent so much money on advertising and marketing even after the show was pretty much sold out.

Yeah, those huge ads for DOLLY! that continued to appear even after the show was basically sold out were a HUGE red flag.

by Anonymousreply 214April 9, 2021 1:45 PM

He probably had so many insanely priced premium seats that he had to keep advertising it. I bet if you had a lot of money you could get in close to performance date and if the tickets hadn't sold you would just sell them as last minute available house seats.

by Anonymousreply 215April 9, 2021 1:51 PM

[quote] As we've learned, even fucking and marrying the underage daughter of your girlfriend like Woody Allen won't keep the most famous, richest and successful actors of all time from working with you for their own personal gain.

For the 800th time, she was an adult.

by Anonymousreply 216April 9, 2021 2:07 PM

[quote]For the 800th time, she was an adult.

I hear ya, Woody.

by Anonymousreply 217April 9, 2021 2:16 PM

R212 Indeed, made $126 million, and yet investors say they only got a profit of 5%.

Side note, it's estimated Bette was making 100-200 grand a week, based on the differences in returns from weeks she was in to weeks she was out.

Also:

[quote]Investors in Rudin’s shows sign away their right to publicly discuss a show’s finances or say anything that could be construed as negative.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218April 9, 2021 2:32 PM

R213 so working with a child molester is fine since it's off the job - GOT IT!

by Anonymousreply 219April 9, 2021 2:54 PM

R216 For the 801st time, he molested his daughter Dylan when she was eight years old

by Anonymousreply 220April 9, 2021 2:55 PM

No, dear. He didn't. He was accused by an unhinged loon.

by Anonymousreply 221April 9, 2021 2:58 PM

R221 You, dear, are a fucking idiot

by Anonymousreply 222April 9, 2021 2:59 PM

As if this deranged queen R221 has insight into the private life of Woody Allen

by Anonymousreply 223April 9, 2021 3:00 PM

So Woody and Scott worked together?

by Anonymousreply 224April 9, 2021 3:03 PM

[quote]For the 801st time, he molested his daughter Dylan when she was eight years old

Not proven, and strongly disputed by another of Mia's hundreds of adopted children: Moses, who was actually present at the scene of the alleged crime and had been charged with keeping a close eye on Dylan, and says it's not possible that such abuse could have happened.

R223, but what's your point, since OF COURSE you have no more knowledge into the private life of Woody Allen than anyone else here?

by Anonymousreply 225April 9, 2021 3:03 PM

Let's accuse Woody Allen's daughter of lying and was never molested and get back to the daughter of a billionaire accusing Scott Rudin of being a big meanie!

by Anonymousreply 226April 9, 2021 3:09 PM

Honest question, no sarcasm intended: How does the fact that the woman in question is the daughter of a billionaire make her accusations against Scott Rudin less compelling or believable or worthy of interest?

by Anonymousreply 227April 9, 2021 3:11 PM

R225 just received his 23 and Me results and found out he's 86% Bitter Queen

by Anonymousreply 228April 9, 2021 3:33 PM

R227 are you the one posting ten "Eldergays, tell me about..." threads a day and need Every. Little. Thing. Explained.

by Anonymousreply 229April 9, 2021 3:42 PM

Can the Woody/Dylan obsessives please go to one of those (many) threads.

Meanwhile, back here at home, Radar claiming Hugh Jackman contemplating pulling out of Music Man. I can't believe this is any way true, but stranger things have happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230April 9, 2021 4:45 PM

[quote]Are you the one posting ten "Eldergays, tell me about..." threads a day and need Every. Little. Thing. Explained.

No, I'm not that person, but again, I don't understand why the fact that a woman comes from money has any bearing on her accusations against Scott Rudin, since the accusations have NOTHING to do with how Rudin earned his money. Unless you can explain this to me, I'm gonna guess that you don't understand it, either.

R230, my personal opinion is that Jackman should not bow to pressure to pull out of THE MUSIC MAN just because Rudin has been publicly revealed as a monster. If I were him, I'd issue a statement along the lines of, "I find Mr. Rudin's behavior reprehensible and abhorrent, but I will continue in THE MUSIC MAN for the sake of the hundreds of other people who will be employed by the production, and for the audiences who would like to see us perform." Maybe Jackman could even make it a condition of his continuing in the show that Rudin would seek professional help, would issue a public apology for his actions, and would make a huge donation to some organization for victims of abuse. All of that said, I wouldn't be surprised if Jackman does quit the show entirely, because that's the environment we're in right now.

Another option: Maybe Rudin could relinquish rights to the show and some other producer(s) could pick up the production as planned? That would neatly solve the problem.

by Anonymousreply 231April 9, 2021 5:47 PM

Beetlejuice may yet take revenge on The Music Man.

It's going to be truly pathetic to see Hugh and the other Hollywood stars try and pretend (once again) that they had no idea about things that have been widely known for years.

Also, the closet case who's friends with Ivanka and Jared can go fuck himself.

by Anonymousreply 232April 9, 2021 6:09 PM

And there's more...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233April 9, 2021 6:28 PM

People have refused to work with people who they have found to be reprehensible. There are other producers who would be more than happy to produce The Music Man with Hugh Jackman. I'd say being physically violent with people to the point of physical injury or trauma is not much different than sexual assault.

by Anonymousreply 234April 9, 2021 8:29 PM

Remember when we let Jerry Robbins walk off the stage?

by Anonymousreply 235April 9, 2021 8:31 PM

Does Rudin even add much of worth to theatre anymore? Revivals of Hello Dolly, The Music Man and Our Town? He has the taste of an 88 year old elder gay.

by Anonymousreply 236April 9, 2021 8:43 PM

[quote] Another option: Maybe Rudin could relinquish rights to the show and some other producer(s) could pick up the production as planned? That would neatly solve the problem.

Barry Diller, David Geffen and several others are already involved as co-producers. The worst that will happen is that Rudin steps back from any public participation or public credit but retains his financial participation. Hugh Jackman in The Music Man? The show must go on!

by Anonymousreply 237April 9, 2021 9:28 PM

Did anyone else think this thread would be one that the 2015 troll bumped? I mean everyone knows Rudin is just downright awful.

by Anonymousreply 238April 9, 2021 10:09 PM

Is somebody like Rudin even necessary to do revivals of shows that were huge successes decades and decades ago? I mean this is not some unique talent bringing great new works to the stage. What makes him so special?

by Anonymousreply 239April 9, 2021 10:16 PM

R231 you're too verbose

by Anonymousreply 240April 9, 2021 10:39 PM

OH NO, NOT HUGH JACKMAN!!!

What ever will multi-zillionaire Scott Rudin do....

by Anonymousreply 241April 9, 2021 10:43 PM

R231 No cares if you understand and no one cares to explain everything to you, Lil Ms. Contrarian

by Anonymousreply 242April 9, 2021 10:46 PM

Is it me or has this threat of Music Man been going on for a decade now? Or does it just feel that way?

by Anonymousreply 243April 9, 2021 10:47 PM

It feels like it was just revived 3 years ago. We can't escape it. And I love the show as much as anyone. It's become like Gypsy. Please God stop these people!

by Anonymousreply 244April 9, 2021 10:51 PM

"Music Man" tickets went on sale in fall 2019. The currently scheduled opening night is winter 2022.

by Anonymousreply 245April 9, 2021 10:54 PM

Hugh Jackman is the human embodiment of a yawn

by Anonymousreply 246April 9, 2021 11:05 PM

It's not a good role for Hugh Jackman. He should use this as his excuse to dump the whole damned thing.

Run, Hugh. Run!

by Anonymousreply 247April 9, 2021 11:38 PM

How does Hugh look in a jockstrap

by Anonymousreply 248April 10, 2021 12:34 AM

[quote] Is somebody like Rudin even necessary to do revivals of shows that were huge successes decades and decades ago? I mean this is not some unique talent bringing great new works to the stage. What makes him so special?

Look at this IMDB page and you'll find out why this is a big deal. Rudin produced and produces some of the hottest films in the business. His clout as a producer is way bigger than his theater projects on broadway

by Anonymousreply 249April 10, 2021 1:47 AM

[quote][R231] you're too verbose

R240, you're too obtuse, My post consisted of one fairly long paragraph and two very short ones. Sorry to tax your brain cells.

R242, among other signs of how dim you are, you obviously have no idea what the word "contrarian" means.

by Anonymousreply 250April 10, 2021 2:24 AM

So--the old gash Rudin is finally being exposed and even, for the first time, facing at least some accountability for her cunt bahavior. Sure took long enough.

Oh, by the way--her Mary apologists on this thread are HILARIOUS!

by Anonymousreply 251April 10, 2021 3:12 AM

R250 desperately needs someone to talk to

by Anonymousreply 252April 10, 2021 5:13 AM

R202 Fuck, Winter 2022. They are sure being optimistic.

by Anonymousreply 253April 10, 2021 10:09 AM

If Ellen DeGeneres can be canceled for being "mean" then it's more than past due for this shitbag to GTFO. What's with the double standard?

by Anonymousreply 254April 10, 2021 11:26 AM

Except that Degeneres wasn't cancelled. The cunt is still on the air.

by Anonymousreply 255April 10, 2021 11:28 AM

About ten years ago an insider in the biz was talking about a crazy Faye story that was then in the gossip news, and she laughed and said Hollywood liked to scapegoat Faye because of her chemical imbalances, but it's really just a 'look over here at the crazy lady' to distract from the male monsters all over the industry.' in the industry

Never gave it credence or really thought about it, but now in the last few years with the culture changing and the many stories that have toppled so many former 'untouchables', I wonder...

by Anonymousreply 256April 10, 2021 11:56 AM

I think there's enough psychotic, entitled, toxic behavior to go around. Faye is a crazy nightmare, and so is Rudin. Rudin has more power, sure--but would YOU wanna be Dunaway's assistant?

by Anonymousreply 257April 10, 2021 12:01 PM

Hell no,

but that wasn't her point. It was a much longer discussion.

She said everything that Faye's reported doing, with the exception of throwing piss on Polanski, she's heard stories or witnessed men doing the same thing.

They report it on Faye gleefully. Silent on the others.

by Anonymousreply 258April 10, 2021 12:07 PM

Because she has no power, R258. She doesn't produce. She's useless at the box office. She's an easy target.

You go after Rudin, there are consequences.

by Anonymousreply 259April 10, 2021 12:08 PM

THAT was her point

scapegoat

by Anonymousreply 260April 10, 2021 12:12 PM

The point is about power. A real equivalence would be Degeneres and Rudin.

by Anonymousreply 261April 10, 2021 12:14 PM

Rudin versus Weinstein. Who would win a fist fight?

I remember reading about Weinstein that, despite his reputation, he could be loyal and generous to those he favored.

Are there any positive Rudin stories? I tend to think someone that bad, can't be ALL that bad. Or are there people so relentlessly awful that they are exactly that ... relentlessly awful?

by Anonymousreply 262April 10, 2021 12:33 PM

"...relentlessly awful..." lacks any specificity. It tells us only someone's opinion of the guy, but nothing about Rudin.

Rudin is narcissistic. He is emotionally volatile and can explode into a narcissistic rage at any moment. He strives for attention on the world stage, but all the attention the world can give him will never be enough to fill the hole in his broken psyche.

Weinstein, Rudin, Trump. They're all a variation on the same broken narcissistic person. They enjoy inflicting pain. They enjoy watching others suffer. It gives them a sense that they are better and stronger and right. They always feel in the moment that they are right, no matter that they may hold an entirely different opinion on the same matter 15 minutes later. They're right then, too. Always right. And always controlling everything around them. And if you challenge that, even in ways that might be imperceptible to anyone else in the room, they will explode and try to destroy you.

by Anonymousreply 263April 10, 2021 12:45 PM

[quote] He has the taste of an 88 year old elder gay.

r236 which is the basic Broadway audience

by Anonymousreply 264April 10, 2021 1:48 PM

Will this at least impact his ability to find assistants and staff? For anyone who Googles him now, I presume this is the first thing that will pop up. In fact, I suggest we all Google him and click on this story so the algorithms keep it at the top of the results.

by Anonymousreply 265April 10, 2021 1:49 PM

That, R264, and middlebrow tourists and their kiddies.

by Anonymousreply 266April 10, 2021 1:53 PM

R265 I agree, but what’s weird was the mention of certain NYU’s programs that are direct feeders to supplying staff for him. They obviously know and keep sending sacrificial lambs to him and are not protecting their graduates in any way. Many school theater programs have very strong alumni networks, it’s one of the reasons to go to certain schools like Yale, NYU or CMU- it can’t be an unknown factor to the faculty or graduates.

by Anonymousreply 267April 10, 2021 2:05 PM

Most of show biz is like Rudin's office, but just a wee bit less extreme, to one degree or another.

Some do it with rage. Others do it with utter contempt and disrespect for those around them. It's a business filled with broken people. There are some great folks, but it's a cold business.

by Anonymousreply 268April 10, 2021 2:15 PM

Rudin is working masterfully right now behind the scenes to kill this story by making sure no one of any stature comments. And he is succeeding. He's leading two of the biggest shows on Broadway right now -- Mockingbird and Morman -- with Music Man on deck. He's not going anywhere, because he's made too much money for the theatre owners. That's the reality. The only question is whether all the minions in Hollywood and Broadway can keep up the social media nudging to make it really uncomfortable for everyone involved in all his shows. Not sure they have the strength.

by Anonymousreply 269April 10, 2021 3:49 PM

if there were video and audio of Rudin abusing people that would circulate quickly on social media and would be the only thing that would make this stick

by Anonymousreply 270April 10, 2021 4:04 PM

[quote] Rudin is working masterfully right now behind the scenes to kill this story by making sure no one of any stature comments.

r269 what do you actually know, or is that your theory? What does that work actually comprise?

by Anonymousreply 271April 10, 2021 4:10 PM

r271 = Barry Diller.

by Anonymousreply 272April 10, 2021 7:52 PM

[quote]Rudin is working masterfully right now behind the scenes to kill this story by making sure no one of any stature comments. And he is succeeding.

No, he is not succeeding. The story is EVERYWHERE. And it's not surprising that "no one of any stature" would comment, seeing as how I'm sure those people rarely if ever see Rudin in action at his worst.

[quote]He's leading two of the biggest shows on Broadway right now -- Mockingbird and Morman -- with Music Man on deck. He's not going anywhere, because he's made too much money for the theatre owners. That's the reality. T

I would think the least that will happen is that he'll have to remove himself from daily physical interaction with others in an office environment. He MIGHT be able to stay on as producer of THE MUSIC MAN and other shows if he would agree to that.

by Anonymousreply 273April 10, 2021 8:21 PM

The silence has spoken. Nothing from The Shuberts. Nothing from Hugh Jackman, Sutton Foster, Jeff Daniels, Laurie Metcalf, and the writers of "South Park." Even the uber-woke cast of West Side Story is absolutely silent. He's got to be laughing his ass off.

by Anonymousreply 274April 10, 2021 8:29 PM

R269 How can he “kill” a story that’s already been published?

by Anonymousreply 275April 10, 2021 8:31 PM

R274, silence does speak. It means that no one will defend him.

by Anonymousreply 276April 10, 2021 8:40 PM

Scott Rudin was tolerated as long as he wasn’t a liability. In show business, that means money. Harvey Weinstein was thrown to the wolves when his films could no longer make money or win awards (Tulip Fever killed his career as much as Ronan Farrow). For Rudin, it appears his massive overspending on Hello Dolly rendered him expendable.

by Anonymousreply 277April 10, 2021 8:59 PM

In Broadway and Hollywood, silence equals, "we may not like it, but we're not stopping it. " Rudin will be fine.

by Anonymousreply 278April 10, 2021 9:00 PM

After DOLLY, Rudin produced Mockingbird, a play that was doing the numbers of a major hit musical. All was forgiven.

by Anonymousreply 279April 10, 2021 9:01 PM

Don't count on that, R278/R279.

by Anonymousreply 280April 10, 2021 9:04 PM

[quote]The silence has spoken. Nothing from The Shuberts. Nothing from Hugh Jackman, Sutton Foster, Jeff Daniels, Laurie Metcalf, and the writers of "South Park." Even the uber-woke cast of West Side Story is absolutely silent. He's got to be laughing his ass off.

R274 must be either a member of Rudin's crisis PR team or one of his assistants posting from a hospital with a shattered hand but also with a big, fat check of hush money in his pocket.

[quote]Silence does speak. It means that no one will defend him.

Exactly.

[quote]In Broadway and Hollywood, silence equals, "we may not like it, but we're not stopping it. " Rudin will be fine.

No, he won't.

[quote]For Rudin, it appears his massive overspending on Hello Dolly rendered him expendable.

His overspending, plus the fact that apparently he wasn't paying some of the people who worked for him, including ad agencies. That little bit of info came out in the press many months ago.

by Anonymousreply 281April 10, 2021 9:23 PM

SCOTT RUDIN IN MY HERO!!!

by Anonymousreply 282April 10, 2021 9:36 PM

This is a non-story. Apparently EVERYONE who went to work for him knew what they were getting into and rolled the dice anyway.

by Anonymousreply 283April 10, 2021 9:44 PM

Rudin's minions have to work overtime on Datalounge this weekend. Guys, just get a better job!

by Anonymousreply 284April 10, 2021 9:59 PM

R284 get a life loser

by Anonymousreply 285April 10, 2021 10:04 PM

So, when one runs into a certain crisis you hire a completely different PR team from the one you already have? There are ones that specialize in this?

by Anonymousreply 286April 10, 2021 10:15 PM

R286 It can either a division of a large PR agency, or in some cases yes an agency dedicated to crisis PR. After all, it does take a different set of skills from your usual PR stuff.

by Anonymousreply 287April 10, 2021 10:19 PM

You would think having the troubled past like that Rudin would have hired a PR firm that could handle all of it?

by Anonymousreply 288April 10, 2021 10:22 PM

What troubled past? This is the first time his actions have come back to haunt him.

by Anonymousreply 289April 10, 2021 10:23 PM

He’s known what he’s been doing to these people for decades and that it’s going to come home to roost at some point. It would have been smart to have an all purpose PR team in place already who could handle it.

by Anonymousreply 290April 10, 2021 10:28 PM

I disagree. First, because he's a narcissist and likely thinks he's untouchable. But also because none of this has been a secret. This isn't like Weinstein where everyone knew something was going on but not how bad it was. Stories about how awful Rudin is have been swapped for so long and nothing happened, short of him telling people which awful stories they were allowed to tell the WSJ. Hell, he probably thought the stories boosted his reputation.

by Anonymousreply 291April 10, 2021 10:36 PM

RUDIN 4 PREZ

by Anonymousreply 292April 10, 2021 10:48 PM

R285, you're the loser--defending a cunt like Rudin as a job. Poor pathetic you.

by Anonymousreply 293April 10, 2021 10:50 PM

He has hired/fired/re-hired a LOT of ad agencies and press people. It would be interesting if they all banded together at this moment.

by Anonymousreply 294April 10, 2021 10:51 PM

No, R286, Rudin just uses his sad minions like the one at R285. You can hear the bitterness in self-loathing.

by Anonymousreply 295April 10, 2021 10:53 PM

The most ridiculous thing is how desperate does cunt Rudin have to be to resort to having his slaves here on a gay site actually attempting to aggressively defend him? Jesus Fuckiing Christ--wouldn't you just kill yourself if THAT was your job?

by Anonymousreply 296April 10, 2021 10:57 PM

R296 You say that like DL doesn't have its own share of contrarian cunts who'll defend any asshole for free.

by Anonymousreply 297April 10, 2021 11:00 PM

R297, it's the way R285 lashed out--as if this were personal to her. Maybe it's Cunt Rudin herself!

by Anonymousreply 298April 10, 2021 11:16 PM

RUDIN IS LIFE

by Anonymousreply 299April 10, 2021 11:18 PM

Give me liberty, or give me Rudin!

by Anonymousreply 300April 10, 2021 11:19 PM

ARBECHT MACHT FREI.

by Anonymousreply 301April 10, 2021 11:19 PM

Megan Ellison is too rich for Rudin to fuck with. She is also a great supporter of gay artists. Rudin is a self loathing classless bully.

by Anonymousreply 302April 10, 2021 11:30 PM

What are the odds that Rudin knows where at least a couple of the dead fuckbuddy bodies are buried and is confident that Jackman won’t bolt or squeal?

by Anonymousreply 303April 10, 2021 11:38 PM

WE SEE YOU WHITE BULLYING SCOTT RUDIN!

by Anonymousreply 304April 11, 2021 12:32 AM

[quote]This is a non-story. Apparently EVERYONE who went to work for him knew what they were getting into and rolled the dice anyway.

Your "logic" stupefies me. Shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 305April 11, 2021 12:53 AM

The NYTimes will not do a story. He spends too much.

by Anonymousreply 306April 11, 2021 1:17 AM

It's so beyond stupid how woke the Times is when they will protect abusers and predators for decades and no one calls them on it. In fact they champion them if they have enough success.

This has been going on for many decades. It has to be the most corrupt hypocritical paper in the world.

by Anonymousreply 307April 11, 2021 1:58 AM

R307, this isn’t a just NY Times problem—every outlet who wrote about Rudin before, including the WSJ, reported abusive behavior by him with a wink and a nod.

by Anonymousreply 308April 11, 2021 2:15 AM

[quote] This is a non-story. Apparently EVERYONE who went to work for him knew what they were getting into and rolled the dice anyway.

[quote]Your "logic" stupefies me. Shut the fuck up.

No you shut the fuck up. Did you read the article? Everyone knew and people CHOSE to work for him despite the horror stories. He'd throw something, they'd duck and back to work. They CHOSE to work there.

by Anonymousreply 309April 11, 2021 2:23 AM

R309, so what? He could have signed waivers from these people saying that they were willing to tolerate physical abuse to get ahead in the industry and it wouldn't matter. The idea that an employer can assault an employee and face no consequences, because that employee is desperate to a have a career, is repulsive and exploitive. It's saying that we should go back to the nineteenth century when employers had no duty whatsoever to their employees.

by Anonymousreply 310April 11, 2021 2:37 AM

R310, exactly. I hope your point causes R309 to SHUT THE FUCK UP, whereas my post failed to do so :-(

by Anonymousreply 311April 11, 2021 4:15 AM

R308. The Times does this all the time with people with clout and power. They act all liberal and righteous and pedal ideals but they continually protect monsters who would exploit and hurt others.

by Anonymousreply 312April 11, 2021 4:26 AM

A friend of a friend worked for him back around the time of the behind the scenes drama with The Hours. He said one day Rudin picked up a computer monitor and threw it at someone. This was the bulky computer monitors, not the flat screens. He was told Rudin had thrown a microwave at someone a few months back.

Scott and Harvey really did deserve one another.

by Anonymousreply 313April 11, 2021 4:46 AM

Rudin is a Juden!

by Anonymousreply 314April 11, 2021 4:53 AM

If, as Megan Ellison and others suggest, HW Reporter only scratched at the surface of Rudin's abuses, how fucking BAD can they be? Dead boys or live girls bleeding from their rectums with ground glass found in stomach contents?

After so many gone assistants in the triple digits, I can't help but wonder if Rudin is up for a class action lawsuit with numerous litigants like tobacco industry lawsuit. Coercively applying NDAs won't hold water in such a scenario, will it.

by Anonymousreply 315April 11, 2021 5:56 AM

Rudin’s producing a new film, it’s called Gone Assistant.

by Anonymousreply 316April 11, 2021 6:06 AM

Point of law about NDAs: In almost every jurisdiction, no contract (including NDAs) can require you to break the law. That includes requiring you to keep silent about criminal behavior. If they do, they are nonenforceable.

by Anonymousreply 317April 11, 2021 6:14 AM

^ Actually, in every jurisdiction. No contract can require you to break the law. The contract, or at least those parts of it, are legally invalid and will fail in a court of law.

by Anonymousreply 318April 11, 2021 6:21 AM

What was the drama around "The Hours"?

by Anonymousreply 319April 11, 2021 5:09 PM

R319 Harvey and Scott fought over almost everything to do with that movie. Harvey wanted Gwyneth Paltrow for Laura Brown, he hated Nicole's nose, he hated the score. They disagreed over the release date - one wanted to rush it out in late 2001, the other wanted to save it for 2002. They had some actors film scenes that were later replaced with other actors. I think it was originally a Miramax/Paramount co-production, but only Paramount released it in the states. They also pitted their leading ladies against one another at the Oscars, after Harvey was adamant Nicole go supporting.

by Anonymousreply 320April 11, 2021 5:32 PM

Is he canceled yet?

by Anonymousreply 321April 11, 2021 5:33 PM

SCOTT RUDIN 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

by Anonymousreply 322April 11, 2021 5:58 PM

I miss Spy Magazine.

by Anonymousreply 323April 11, 2021 6:34 PM

unfortunately, I think this will go away unless leaders in the business speak up and denounce the behavior. Most PR people would advise Rudin not to respond to any of these accusations which are actually accounts of fact, not really accusations. He will be told not to comment and his peers and those he does business with will be told not to comment. The conventional wisdom is the story will die if Rudin and all interested parties refuse to comment and feed the story.

This crisis PR move often works: Note: Joanna Gaines and the homophobic church, they said nothing and it died, despite outraged social media.

Someone must have recorded some of these tantrums, I think people need to see it for it to have a visceral effect.

by Anonymousreply 324April 11, 2021 9:42 PM

[quote]The Times does this all the time with people with clout and power. They act all liberal and righteous and pedal ideals but they continually protect monsters who would exploit and hurt others.

Years ago, the Times went after an acquaintance of mine who was in an upper-level administrative position at a major NYC arts organization. At least one of the things they accused him of doing wrong was false information, and the other things were, I would say, very minor transgressions, about 1/1000th as bad as the things Scott Rudin is accused of. Still, it was enough to get the guy to resign his position. (Fortunately, he bounced back elsewhere). I always assumed the story happened in the first place because someone had a huge axe to grind against the fellow in question and that person was well connected at the Times. But also, the powers that be at the Times knew that going after someone like this would in no way impact on the Times in terms of ad revenue, whereas one can only imagine there would be HUGE impact if they went after someone like Rudin.

by Anonymousreply 325April 11, 2021 10:33 PM

They spiked another piece about a Broadway sleazebag too over ad revenue, didn't they? Was it Thomas Schumacher?

by Anonymousreply 326April 11, 2021 11:05 PM

Didn't Rudin and Sondheim have a very public spat over the rights to Bounce (or one of its earlier iterations)--Sondheim sued and Rudin countersued, and somehow Arthur Laurents wound up in the middle of the whole mess. Naturally.

by Anonymousreply 327April 11, 2021 11:23 PM

[quote]They spiked another piece about a Broadway sleazebag too over ad revenue, didn't they? Was it Thomas Schumacher?

There was a lengthy piece about Schumacher in the Wall Street Journal. Is that what you're thinking of?

by Anonymousreply 328April 11, 2021 11:29 PM

R328 No, there was definitely something that was meant to run in the Times but didn't, and I'm almost certain it had a Disney connection.

by Anonymousreply 329April 12, 2021 1:14 AM

R329, I really think you're confusing two different stories.

by Anonymousreply 330April 12, 2021 3:58 AM

The Times was going to go after a number of Broadway sleazebags in a series of articles a few years ago. The first one ran (I forget who it was about) and then crickets. The rumor was that every major producer and production team threatened to pull all their advertising and the Times couldn't afford to take that kind of financial hit.

by Anonymousreply 331April 12, 2021 8:56 AM

^ A big piece on Rudin was to have been one of the articles in the projected series.

by Anonymousreply 332April 12, 2021 8:58 AM

These rumors of Big Times Stories are always questionable. How do folks know when The Times is planning a Big Story?

by Anonymousreply 333April 12, 2021 12:35 PM

[quote]How do folks know when The Times is planning a Big Story?

If you live in Peoria and work at Walgreen's, you don't.

But if you live in NYC and work in Times Square in the business offices of Broadway, there are few secrets or surprises.

by Anonymousreply 334April 12, 2021 12:51 PM

What a bunch of bullshit. You don't need to be around. Corporations will always promote their stories starting rumors. It's the oldest trick in the PR book.

by Anonymousreply 335April 12, 2021 1:05 PM

[quote] How do folks know when The Times is planning a Big Story?

To write most stories you need to interview people related to the subjects. Its close to impossible after you went after many, that people won't suspect a big story is coming, because people talk to each other and they'll exchange info that reporters are asking questions. That's what happened with Bryan Singer the first time, but he was able to kill the story first. He even went on twitter to whine about reporters going after his family and friends. Her knew.

by Anonymousreply 336April 12, 2021 1:09 PM

but a couple of reporters asking some questions on background really doesn't mean "The Times is planning a Big Story." It means they're staying vigilant.

by Anonymousreply 337April 12, 2021 3:19 PM

Here are some good old Rudin scandals. The NYPost loves this shit even though Riedel is in Rudin's ample pocket

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338April 12, 2021 3:38 PM

The bad stories are never written by Riedel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339April 12, 2021 3:40 PM

And this isn't from the Post but it's one of my favorites

““The only thing separating my hands from your neck is the fact that there are three thousand miles between us. Be aware that this is the last movie of mine you will have anything to do with because the prospect of having to go through another one of these events with you makes my skin crawl.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340April 12, 2021 3:44 PM

[quote]Charles Isherwood also had issues with his editors about his assignments. It got ugly when Charles complained Ben Brantley always reviewed the big shows and he never got a shot at them.

Feud: Brantley vs. Isherwood!

Charles: Ben, I want to review the big shows too! Give me a shot, or this will get ugly!

Ben: No Charles, the big shows are ALL MINE!!! [mad laughter]

by Anonymousreply 341April 12, 2021 4:58 PM

Charles: And Ben, you're already ugly!

by Anonymousreply 342April 12, 2021 5:13 PM

Both were terrible critics: Isherwood was a cunt, and Brantley was stupid with horrible taste, as well as an ass kisser.

by Anonymousreply 343April 12, 2021 5:15 PM

I knew several people that were interviewed for that Times piece a few years ago. I'm sure the threat of losing advertising dollars won out.

by Anonymousreply 344April 12, 2021 6:04 PM

Let's be clear. Rudin has won.

by Anonymousreply 345April 12, 2021 6:22 PM

Won what?

by Anonymousreply 346April 12, 2021 6:27 PM

Won, in that he'll keep going and producing and abusing and raking in the money. Treating assistants, agencies and investors like shit.

by Anonymousreply 347April 12, 2021 6:31 PM

[Quote]How do folks know when The Times is planning a Big Story?

The people interviewed by the HR told the author that they had been interviewed by the NY Times about Rudin for an article that never came out. That's more than a rumor.

by Anonymousreply 348April 12, 2021 6:34 PM

He has won nothing. The fact that this has been brought up again, especially now in this climate, means that this is is the best chance the cunt will see some fallout. So don't count your chickens, girls.

by Anonymousreply 349April 12, 2021 6:37 PM

He looks like Steve Jobs and David Cross had a baby.

An ugly, ugly, ugly baby.

by Anonymousreply 350April 12, 2021 6:41 PM

R350 A never nude, sometimes blue baby with a sharp technological mind?

by Anonymousreply 351April 12, 2021 6:52 PM

Rudin sure is one ugly old queen.

by Anonymousreply 352April 12, 2021 9:23 PM

I've seen Rudin be abrasive and rude with some pretty famous people without reprisal leading me to believe that Rudin is not just powerful in his capacity as a producer but a vengeful, revenge driven asshole driven by grievances.

God, I wish people like this didn't have power over talented people.

by Anonymousreply 353April 12, 2021 9:30 PM

You mean the people at the Times don't know after being in publication for how many years that when they plan a story revealing abuses in an industry there is going to be the threat of pulling advertising? This is a surprise to journalists and editors and owners? So they keep quiet while they reveal corruption in industries or the government where there will be no financial repercussions.

All the news that is financially profitable to print.

by Anonymousreply 354April 12, 2021 9:47 PM

R354 It probably was a surprise to the journalists who would've expected management to back them up, I'm not sure why you're lumping them in with management and the owners.

by Anonymousreply 355April 12, 2021 9:56 PM

Because they are journalists. They are that naïve and don't know their own management and what they'll support them on? Not very bright.

by Anonymousreply 356April 12, 2021 10:39 PM

Everyone knows Scott's never ending Sunday Times Double trucks were keeping that section alive. Now with Hollywood going through its streaming revolution, there will be less and less film advertising, giving Rudin even more clout over that section.

by Anonymousreply 357April 13, 2021 1:17 AM

So the Times is so beholden to its advertisers they will ignore controversial issues. We won't cover any negative news about you as long as you give us money.

by Anonymousreply 358April 13, 2021 2:48 AM

I know some people that were interviewed for the NYT article and didn't pull any punches. One of whom is a veteran producer and her staff scolded her for talking to them without her PR person present . She named names and just let it all rip. She's no prize herself but is nothing like Rudin and his ilk. She's not abusive just loud and high maintenance. The NYT made the rounds at all the GM offices on Broadway and lots of shit was spilled. The article never materialized.

by Anonymousreply 359April 13, 2021 2:55 AM

The rumored Times series wasn't going to be just about producers. Choreographers, directors, creatives and stars were going to be outed for abusive behavior and demanding casting couch services. That's why it wasn't just Rudin who threatened to pull advertising. Everybody did.

by Anonymousreply 360April 13, 2021 6:43 AM

Quite a few have been outed already. It just seems like they keep coming. Show business keeps creating them like a factory.

by Anonymousreply 361April 13, 2021 10:33 AM

There’s No Business, Like Show Business that should be called Screw You Business ya Know!

by Anonymousreply 362April 13, 2021 11:23 AM

^^ [quote] Are there any positive Rudin stories?

Funny you asked. About 15 years ago I was at a screening and Q&A for some Trey Parker and Matt Stone show. They made a point of saying that for all of his public reputation (yes, back then), Rudin was also an incredibly sharp and smart producer, really knew his stuff, and they gave him props for being a hard worker. FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 363April 13, 2021 11:57 AM

[quote] Rudin was also an incredibly sharp and smart producer, really knew his stuff

That's part of the problem. Like Weinstein, Rudin is really good with tremendous savvy. Probably way more charming than Weinstein. I know some badly behaved idiot producers, but Rudin's flaws are equalled bis strengths.

by Anonymousreply 364April 13, 2021 12:28 PM

Stop whitewashing this Rudin cunt. There are many great producers out there who don't throw computers and hot food at underlings.

by Anonymousreply 365April 13, 2021 1:21 PM

[quote]Like Weinstein, Rudin is really good with tremendous savvy. Probably way more charming than Weinstein. I know some badly behaved idiot producers, but Rudin's flaws are equaled by his strengths.

But even if there's some truth in that, a really good, savvy producer would not make the huge mistake of withholding pay from his contractors. Months ago, there was a big article about this, and I think it helps explain "why now" as far as the other allegations coming out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366April 13, 2021 1:30 PM

SpotCo really fucked up in not getting contracts done and instead trusting Rudin to keep to his word. He's a producer, for fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 367April 13, 2021 2:44 PM

No one here is whitewashing Rudin, who’s proved to be pretty despicable. I simply relayed a reason for his success

I do wish SCTV was still around. Here’s their take on Joel Silver, who is (or was) in a similar league in terms of temperament.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368April 13, 2021 7:27 PM

Are there any openings in Rudin's office?

by Anonymousreply 369April 13, 2021 8:25 PM

Yes, every assistant's mouth and ass.

by Anonymousreply 370April 13, 2021 9:00 PM

Rudin is not physically attractive, so he deserves his inevitable fate.

by Anonymousreply 371April 13, 2021 9:11 PM

[quote]Here’s their take on Joel Silver, who is (or was) in a similar league in terms of temperament.

And sporting similarly awful grey stubble.

What's with these types (Weinstein, Rudin, Silver et al.) and grey stubble? All they manage to achieve is look homelessly unkempt and repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 372April 13, 2021 11:58 PM

They think it camouflages their fat faces and suggests a jawline

by Anonymousreply 373April 14, 2021 12:26 AM

It is also supposed to make up for their rapidly balding skulls.

by Anonymousreply 374April 14, 2021 2:25 AM

I get growing a goatee or similar to compensate but this is just gross stubble.

Don't they look at themselves in the mirror?

by Anonymousreply 375April 14, 2021 12:22 PM

[quote]Don't they look at themselves in the mirror?

Do they do anything except look at themselves in the mirror?

by Anonymousreply 376April 14, 2021 12:33 PM

I think that subset of Jew is just naturally more hirsute.

I think much of Weinstein/Rudin/Silver’s anger comes from being “the wrong kind” of Hollywood Jew

Hollywood moguls are expected to fit in the patrician mold started by Louis B Mayer (see below Bob Iger, Ron Meyer)

This are actually very old Jewish tensions, from country of origin, with Westernized European Jewish emigrées from old Germany being embarrassed by the shtetl Jews from Russia and Lithuania

Additionally there is the old Jewish masculinity crisis, with tensions between “the nice Jewish boy” and the “surly Jewboy”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377April 14, 2021 12:34 PM

Clearly Rudin has receipts on other big players who might speak out against him. Maybe he has collected the financial/moral/ sexual improprieties of his peers and has been able to neuter them and any potential criticism from them in preparation for a moment like this. Would make sense he would anticipate a me too type cascade of revelations and armored himself with salacious facts implicating those whose voices would matter in denouncing him.

by Anonymousreply 378April 14, 2021 12:55 PM

So what? Being a cunt still isn't against the law. There's a lot of them around.

These people probably heard all the stories about him yet still chose to work for him. Why? Was it the opportunity to work for an accomplished producer?

If you don't like his abuse, you're free to leave.

by Anonymousreply 379April 14, 2021 1:08 PM

I spent many years working in the business in NYC. Everyone in the business knows what an asshole Scott Rudin is. But it is a business filled with them. Voldemort, anyone?

However, it is absolutely true that his employees put themselves in that position. There are other show biz offices in which to work and be abused. Broadway is filled with them. Once you are "in" the business and are known, you can move around with relative ease. Projects come and go and these offices are constantly in flux. It can rationally be concluded that going to work for Rudin is worth the abuse, if that's what gets you in the door.

But, yes, everyone knows and if you go there, you did it to yourself. The only reason to stay is that the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. Even the ones who don't scream can be vicious in their own quiet ways.

by Anonymousreply 380April 14, 2021 1:41 PM

Fuck off, R379. We all KNOW that. As if that's the fucking point. Same with you, R380. These Rudin apologists are tiresome.

"Clearly Rudin has receipts on other big players who might speak out against him." "Clearly," R378? That's actually pure speculation on your part. You think he has receipts on underlings?

by Anonymousreply 381April 14, 2021 2:30 PM

Rudin also makes his projects super high profile and a credit working for him is a calling card. And r381 is a rude asshole. There's bitchiness and then there's just classless witless behavior that makes the world and the reading of this site more unpleasant. You're tired of Rudin apologists but you're an abusive asshole with anger issues yourself. Thanks, hon.

by Anonymousreply 382April 14, 2021 2:41 PM

And what IS the point, r381? That he's an abusive asshole?

Decent people treat people decently. He doesn't - and that's well known - so why work for him then? He may well be a cunt, but you're fucking stupid if you put up with it.

He gets away with his behavior because people let him.

by Anonymousreply 383April 14, 2021 2:41 PM

"There's bitchiness and then there's just classless witless behavior that makes the world and the reading of this site more unpleasant." Get off your high horse, you stupid cunt R382--you're on Datalounge. Don't like it? Get the fuck off. Go back to licking Rudin's ass.

As for R383--the point is that no one should have to put up with being physically and emotionally abused at any job. Of course itr happens, and of course can leave. But the problem that the poor employee won't just pick up and leave, it's the abusive boss. Did it ever occur to you that there could be pressing situations on a perslons life--like insurance, kids, mortgage or rent--that don't enable someone to just leave a horrible job? You fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 384April 14, 2021 2:50 PM

"there's just classless witless behavior that makes the world and the reading of this site more unpleasant. "

MARY R382!!!

by Anonymousreply 385April 14, 2021 2:53 PM

[quote]Did it ever occur to you that there could be pressing situations on a perslons life--like insurance, kids, mortgage or rent--that don't enable someone to just leave a horrible job?

Those are not concerns in an office like Rudin's. Projects start. Shows close. The jobs end when they do. It's built in. These are never secure jobs in the traditional sense of a job being secure.

These are the hungriest and most ambitious young people. Not someone struggling to make ends meet as a part-time bookkeeper in a suburban used car dealership. Job instability is not at the top of their list of concerns. But they will eat ANY shit that comes so that they can be part of the business.

by Anonymousreply 386April 14, 2021 2:57 PM

Bullshit, R386, Rudin has full-time staff--like assistants.

Always pleasant hearing from Rudin's camp at R386. And while you're at it? GO FUCK YOURSELF.

by Anonymousreply 387April 14, 2021 3:01 PM

Yes, I understand that many people have pressing situations and they need their job, R384. And, of course, no one should have to put up with that kind of abuse.

Rudin's behaviour is well known. He has a high staff turnover. Why then would anyone want to work for him?

And, by the way, you sound like an abusive asshole yourself.

by Anonymousreply 388April 14, 2021 3:08 PM

I only throw back in the faces the very tone they give, R388. Need I remind you, delicate soul, that you're on DL? By the way, what exactly do YOU know about Rudin, in fact?

by Anonymousreply 389April 14, 2021 3:10 PM

R388 If you don't like R384's abuse, you're free to leave. DL is known for abuse. So you really only have yourself to blame for posting here. What were you expecting?

by Anonymousreply 390April 14, 2021 3:15 PM

Hilarious these fools are on DL defending the behavior of a tyrannical asshole against the poor sods who work for him, then get all Mary when they get called on their shit--on Datalounge!LMFAO!

by Anonymousreply 391April 14, 2021 3:19 PM

Between all of them, R379, R380, and several others posting here don't seem to have as many as two brain cells to rub together. That, and/or they are Rudin's minions.

by Anonymousreply 392April 14, 2021 3:23 PM

I think that's what they are--Rudin's minions. I can see that fat cunt beiing so pathetically thin-skinned he sends his slaves to DL to fight with people here. LMFAO!

by Anonymousreply 393April 14, 2021 3:25 PM

WHAT ABOUT KEVIN HUVANE? ISN'T HE just as bad if not worse than Rudin?...

always amazed me how the "stars" when winning any award regularly during their speeches would praise rudin and huvane and other creeps to the skies?

by Anonymousreply 394April 14, 2021 3:29 PM

Whataboutism. What about Trump? He must be awful to work for. So let's give them all a pass in the name of "What about...?"

Bull.Shit.

by Anonymousreply 395April 14, 2021 3:31 PM

IF Rudin did no more than create a toxic office environment, that would be one thing. But this article makes clear that he has a vindictive streak that follows the person out of the office. This is a common tactic of abusive bosses - they seek to spoil the reputations of those who leave because in their mind this balances out any negative thing former employees might say about them. It's a little hard to part ways with the likes of Rudin if it means doors are shut the minute you leave.

by Anonymousreply 396April 14, 2021 3:34 PM

lol Oh, I don't care about r384's abuse, r390. People spitting with anger and calling everyone fucking morons always make me laugh. I'm still here, darling!

by Anonymousreply 397April 14, 2021 3:36 PM

Very good point, R396--it isn't just that Rudin is abusive while people are in his employ. He goes beyond that. I guess that's why his ass-licking minions are here on DL, posting furiously away in his defense.

"I'm still here, darling!" And you're still a cunt, R397!

by Anonymousreply 398April 14, 2021 3:37 PM

Wow, Rudin's pr team is working overtime on this site. So, let me get this straight: Because you (may) know its a rough environment, you have to accept physical cruelty and mental abuse? This is the logic? Talk about blaming the victim...

by Anonymousreply 399April 14, 2021 3:38 PM

R399 would not recognize show business press if it bit him on the ass.

by Anonymousreply 400April 14, 2021 3:41 PM

Why thank you, r398! You're embarrassing yourself.

Aww, poor baby, what did he do to you? Please share your sad, sad story, or are you too busy working to pay the rent and put food on the table for your kids?

by Anonymousreply 401April 14, 2021 3:41 PM

No, I have no connection to him, R401--unlike you.

by Anonymousreply 402April 14, 2021 3:42 PM

And if I were too busy working to pay the rent would I be on DL right now, R401? LMFAO!

by Anonymousreply 403April 14, 2021 3:43 PM

I don't actually. If only you knew. lol But I'm happy to keep playing because you're so obviously worked up about him.

by Anonymousreply 404April 14, 2021 3:45 PM

I hate bullies, R404. Like Rudin and Dump. Clearly you don't.

by Anonymousreply 405April 14, 2021 3:46 PM

Notice how the most vociferous defenders of Rudin's behavior (at the expense of the employees) have nothing to say about Rudin himself--they deflect it on others.

I guess if there are minions of Rudin posting here, these minions are most bitter at the employees who got away. It's sad.

by Anonymousreply 406April 14, 2021 3:51 PM

Rudin has no minions. No one likes him. No one.

Some people work for him because it gets them into the business. No one is loyal to him. As soon as they can move on, they move on.

There... are... no... minions.

by Anonymousreply 407April 14, 2021 3:53 PM

Assistants aren't minions, R407? In this case? What are they?

by Anonymousreply 408April 14, 2021 3:55 PM

They're sure not valued employees.

by Anonymousreply 409April 14, 2021 3:55 PM

I thought Minions were a Disney thing, does he do Disney shows?

by Anonymousreply 410April 14, 2021 3:59 PM

r405 Who has actually defended Rudin here? Who has said this is ok?

Industry people - who seem to know better than you - are saying this type of behaviour is, unfortunately, common in the entertainment business. Everyone knew about Rudin. No one is defending or excusing his behavior. Either you're imagining this or you have some kind of reading disability.

No one is blaming the employees either. But you seem to suggest that they're too stupid to know what they're signing up for.

Calm down and re-read the comments. No one, I repeat, no one is defending him. I know you're angry, but please take your meds.

by Anonymousreply 411April 14, 2021 4:26 PM

R411, I'd say you're the one with reading comprehension issues. There are lots of posts upthread that blame or in other ways minimize the employees of Rudin for not leaving or for complaining, etc. And I am in the business--not on the production or PR side but the creative side. And you, darling from acrosss the pond? What do YOU know?

by Anonymousreply 412April 14, 2021 4:31 PM

...acrosss the pond - lol

Oh, well, they say you can't argue with crazy. You prove the point, r412. Stay dumb, darling.

by Anonymousreply 413April 14, 2021 4:36 PM

[quote]And I am in the business--not on the production or PR side but the creative side.

That right there is the problem, R412. Leave this discussion to the people who know how the business side works.

Now go back to that writing your screenplay. On your laptop. From the Abbey.

by Anonymousreply 414April 14, 2021 4:36 PM

R413, I pointed out that there were posts that belittled or minimized what people said they experienced on the grounds they knew what they were getting into or they should just quit. Don't hear anything from you about that. And yes, you are from across the pond and don't know anything about this.

And I expected the same kind of attempt at belittling from Rudin apologists like R414 when I say I'm a creative. Creatives are the people Rudin has made a career off of, after all, so no shame in that. Why don't you go back to defending bullies, since that seems to be YOUR job. LMFAO!

by Anonymousreply 415April 14, 2021 4:42 PM

Sorry, refuse to accept this idea that its "common" in the entertainment business. I've been in it for 25 years. It's there, but its hardly common. It is much more the exception than the rule...

by Anonymousreply 416April 14, 2021 4:43 PM

Of course you're right, R416. Rudin's extreme abuses are not common.

by Anonymousreply 417April 14, 2021 4:44 PM

Oh, r415, it's a big ol' world out there with many timezones. It's so cute that you think I'm from 'across the pond.'

Did Rudin knock back your screenplay?

by Anonymousreply 418April 14, 2021 4:49 PM

🥱 🥱 🥱 🥱. 🥱. 🥱

by Anonymousreply 419April 14, 2021 4:51 PM

R418, it's your Britishisms that gave you away, but perhaps you're from Canada. Whatever. The answer to your question is no. Of course, you don't acknowledge you're wrong when you say Rudin's employees haven't been miminized here but you're too busy going after people like me who go after bullying psychopaths.

by Anonymousreply 420April 14, 2021 4:53 PM

Interesting arguments happening here.

You can’t compare this kind of work to office work. Its not frau central. It’s contract work which starts and ends in a defined time. It’s not right, but everything is money in the entertainment industry and there are endless people willing to sell their souls for a job in entertainment.

Why do you think these hideous men take these jobs? They wouldn’t get laid any other way.

by Anonymousreply 421April 14, 2021 4:55 PM

I think you've been going after a few people yourself, r420.

by Anonymousreply 422April 14, 2021 4:56 PM

You're goddamn right, R422--I go after Rudin apologists who blather on that this kind of behavior is "typical in this business," "they knew what they were getting into," these are people "happy" to "sell their souls."

As for this idea that Rudin does not have a full staff of people around him at all times for him to abuse--that's also ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 423April 14, 2021 5:01 PM

Pat yourself on the back for your righteous advocacy here on DL, R423.

by Anonymousreply 424April 14, 2021 5:08 PM

Or maybe, R424, it's because I grew up gay and know what it's like to be bullied that makes me so furious as a proud, unbullied adult with people like Rudin, who I've never met but whose disgusting reputation certainly precedes him.

And what also disgusts me even more are other gay (I assume) guys defending the behavior of a common high-school bully.

Maybe it's that, R423. But a little righteousness when it comes to someone like Rudin is not a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 425April 14, 2021 5:10 PM

Jesus Christ.

by Anonymousreply 426April 14, 2021 5:13 PM

Yes, R426, he also hated bullies.

by Anonymousreply 427April 14, 2021 5:14 PM

[quote]No one is blaming the employees either.

You do realise we can see your post history, right? Posts like:

[quote]These people probably heard all the stories about him yet still chose to work for him. Why? Was it the opportunity to work for an accomplished producer? If you don't like his abuse, you're free to leave.

[quote]Decent people treat people decently. He doesn't - and that's well known - so why work for him then? He may well be a cunt, but you're fucking stupid if you put up with it. He gets away with his behavior because people let him.

How is that not blaming the employees? Likewise, you're excusing his behaviour with these comments - that people somehow deserved it because they continued to work for him.

Also, you're trying way too hard to try and convince us you work in the industry. No-one's buying it.

by Anonymousreply 428April 14, 2021 5:38 PM

That's right, R429, all the while pretending they weren't blaming Rudin's employees AT ALL.

by Anonymousreply 429April 14, 2021 6:16 PM

That was meant for R428.

by Anonymousreply 430April 14, 2021 6:17 PM

If cunt Rudin and/or her lackeys are posting on this thread, they've failed miserably to defend him. Better duck outta the way of that next hot potato, minions!

And Scott, if you are here--you're FAR TOO FAT to being scarfing down carbs!

by Anonymousreply 431April 14, 2021 6:21 PM

Yes, I realize you can see my post history, R428. And I can see yours too - flaming anyone like a psycho who doesn't agree with you.

Tell me how I'm blaming the employees? They know his reputation unless they've been living under a rock. So why put yourself in that position? Would you? Knowing what he's like?

I said, "Decent people treat people decently. He doesn't - and that's well known ..." Read it again, slowly. That means I said he is not a decent person. What don't you understand about that? Are you an imbecile? How is that excusing his behaviour or defending him? Tell me.

And where did I say I worked in the industry and how am I trying to convince anyone? Well?

You are unhinged. I'll bet you're one of those Markle stans too, but, by all means, die in ditch over Scott Rudin. rofl

by Anonymousreply 432April 14, 2021 6:28 PM

And pardon me, R428, if English is your second language. That would probably be why you seem to misunderstand everyone's comments.

by Anonymousreply 433April 14, 2021 6:35 PM

I'm not R428, R432/R433. But by your own words you absolutely go after the people who work for Rudin while barely touching on Rudin. That much is crystal clear.

by Anonymousreply 434April 14, 2021 6:37 PM

" ... absolutely go after the people who work for Rudin ..."

Let's be clear. There is no doubt that he's a cunt and his behavior is atrocious. His employees are not to blame for his behavior. That's all on him. Is that crystal clear enough for you?

But if someone threw anything at me, let alone a computer monitor, I'd be out the door. Why would anyone put up that? Would you?

by Anonymousreply 435April 14, 2021 7:00 PM

And another thread ruined by queens bickering.

by Anonymousreply 436April 14, 2021 7:01 PM

Agreed. You bitches ruined this thread fast. You both suck. I'd like to throw a damned potato at you both.

by Anonymousreply 437April 14, 2021 7:01 PM

Yes, you're both right, r436 and r43. And I apologize and will stfu. lol I've got to remember to not engage with crazy.

by Anonymousreply 438April 14, 2021 7:04 PM

Oops, that's r437 no r43 - I'll show myself out now.

by Anonymousreply 439April 14, 2021 7:07 PM

Oh, no! Another Scott Rudin thread ruined! What the fuck do you think DL is all about, you stupid bitches at R436/R437?

by Anonymousreply 440April 14, 2021 7:14 PM

Karen Olivia is quitting Moulin Rouge over the Scott Rudin stories. Did Rudin produce Moulin Rouge?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441April 14, 2021 8:44 PM

R432 You contradict yourself in your own posts by asking how you're blaming employees and then saying what happened is their own fault because they chose to work there. You can try as much as you want to spin it another way, but everyone can see what you said for themselves.

R441 No. Karen barely showed up anyway so it's no great loss

by Anonymousreply 442April 14, 2021 9:36 PM

Get real. Rudin has to have a crisis pr team on this...

by Anonymousreply 443April 14, 2021 10:19 PM

[quote]So what? Being a cunt still isn't against the law. There's a lot of them around.

Inflicting bodily harm isn't against the law? News to me.

by Anonymousreply 444April 14, 2021 10:31 PM

The fat cunt's gonna need it, R443.

by Anonymousreply 445April 14, 2021 10:58 PM

I agree with the poster who says considering his reputation you don't work for him period. You don't not cross a highway when there are trucks barreling down it at 80 miles an hour. And yes people actually do try it instead of going to a light. Nobody is excusing Rudin. But if you know somebody might be Jack the Ripper you don't go on a date with him and take your chances. This kind of physical violence is unprecedented at least since the time of the robber barons. I worked in the fashion industry for years and everybody knows there is plenty of abuse but I never saw physical violence towards other people or even post employment revenge. Rudin is deranged and you work with him at your peril.

by Anonymousreply 446April 14, 2021 11:23 PM

Megan Ellison acts so high and mighty and "Why doesn't EVERYONE know this!?", yet she herself has worked with Rudin repeatedly over a number of years without saying boo!?

Get off yer fucking high horse, White Lady!

Scott Rudin gives anti-Semites a warm cozy feeling. He successfully embodies all of the nasty stereotypical qualities you usually have to know more than one Jew to observe!

by Anonymousreply 447April 14, 2021 11:57 PM

R446, while I gather there may be more gossip in theater circles, I'll admit that right out the gate in fine arts I worked for a gallerist who turned out to be a famed psycho and genuinely had no idea what I was getting myself into. He had a great program and the gallery had an international reputation. I lasted three months. An artist friend of mine got picked up for representation by another, smaller, but still distinguished gallery. The gallerist was so insane he threw the receptionist on the floor and began kicking her in front of my friend, who pulled him off and called the cops. I think if you're young, starting out, and focused on "the work" it might be easy to simply walk into these situations unaware of how bad they can be - and frightened of what people will think when you leave.

by Anonymousreply 448April 14, 2021 11:59 PM

[quote]They act all liberal and righteous and pedal ideals...

Oh, DEAR!

You people are slipping!

by Anonymousreply 449April 15, 2021 12:21 AM

Peddle!!

That was me. Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 450April 15, 2021 12:34 AM

R448 that sounds like a situation different from one of Hollywood's and Broadway's most renowned successful producers.

And what does it say about the stars who are willing to work for him? They need him that badly? Like Meryl and Judy needing Harvey?

by Anonymousreply 451April 15, 2021 12:45 AM

Olivo has taken a shot, but it also should be noted that no one is coming to Rudin's defense. He's worked with hundreds on Broadway, and not one person is stepping forward to defend him, or even offer an "He needs help, but he's talented..." Not even the Shuberts who have made tens of millions off of him are offering a statement of support. Hugh Jackman's team must be freaking out...

by Anonymousreply 452April 15, 2021 12:54 AM

The Broadway biz has many assholes like Rudin but there are some genuinely good people too. To name just a few, Charlotte Wilcox, Nina Lannan and Stuart Thompson, Stuart is now sadly passed away I'm afraid. How he managed to work with Rudin on Bok of Mormon and other shows I'll never know They are complete opposites.

by Anonymousreply 453April 15, 2021 1:40 AM

[quote]and called the cops.

What's the law in the U.S. - Do the authorities need someone to officially go to the police or file a lawsuit or can they start investigating based on media reports of violence in the workplace?

by Anonymousreply 454April 15, 2021 1:50 AM

r447 Ellison's behavior is now being called out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455April 15, 2021 1:54 AM

So, which is it: Do investors still receive enough profits to put up with him or not? If he doesn't deliver, even a super expensive PR defense will not save his career.

And another thing: Who in his right mind risks his career to work with Rudin when he is known to ruin his employees' careers out of spite (for leaving him, or standing up to him)? Just rolling the dice not being the one he goes after?

by Anonymousreply 456April 15, 2021 2:07 AM

r455 is proof that Rudin has a 24/7 crisis team on this story. He gave it to Variety to get even with The Hollywood Reporter.

by Anonymousreply 457April 15, 2021 2:07 AM

R456 They weren't. Hello Dolly only delivered a 5% profit on investment, not helped by Rudin spending heavily on advertising each week, even when the show was fully sold out.

by Anonymousreply 458April 15, 2021 10:35 AM

[quote] The Broadway biz has many assholes like Rudin

I've worked in this business a long time and I think he's known to be in a league of his own in terms of terror and abuse.

It seems that the best impact would be investors refusing to support him, especially since their windfalls are far from certain anyway. It's not on actors to turn down work, especially after this year. The millionaires have done the best during COVID

by Anonymousreply 459April 15, 2021 11:38 AM

wow the article at r455 is a real hatchet-job. Is Rudin really behind it?

by Anonymousreply 460April 15, 2021 11:43 AM

So, it was mentioned that Rudin set up his partner in a Broadway PR office, is that who he overspent the unneeded marketing for Dolly on just to launder the money right back into his household?

by Anonymousreply 461April 15, 2021 12:36 PM

no the PR guy and the advertising agency are completely different entities. Plus then he stiffed the ad agency

by Anonymousreply 462April 15, 2021 12:37 PM

Christ, Anthony Rapp has embroiled himself in this debacle, is he theater’s professional victim or what?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463April 15, 2021 1:32 PM

Not that any of those unions represent the people who bear the brunt of Rudin's insane behavior. But whatever.

by Anonymousreply 464April 15, 2021 1:41 PM

Interesting that the press agents union did not sign on...

by Anonymousreply 465April 15, 2021 5:08 PM

[quote] [R455] is proof that Rudin has a 24/7 crisis team on this story. He gave it to Variety to get even with The Hollywood Reporter.

They are now both owned by Penske media, so they’re not really competing with each other. THR was probably kinky able to print the Rudin article because Penske has a monopoly on the trades. He will go after whomever he wants to.

by Anonymousreply 466April 15, 2021 5:55 PM

[quote]So, it was mentioned that Rudin set up his partner in a Broadway PR office, is that who he overspent the unneeded marketing for Dolly on just to launder the money right back into his household?

No. Aside from what what someone else noted above, Rudin's partner left the PR business many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 467April 15, 2021 10:08 PM

Anyone talking to Amy Herzog?

by Anonymousreply 468April 16, 2021 12:13 AM

Care to elaborate, R468?

by Anonymousreply 469April 16, 2021 12:21 AM

Didn't Dolly cost a fortune to run just on Midler's salary? How could there be a huge profit on it when it's already a very big show in what today is a pretty small theater for a musical? A show like this would have to fill the Broadway or the Gershwin to show an appreciable return.

by Anonymousreply 470April 16, 2021 12:40 AM

R470, you seem to have not been paying attention over the past 20 years or so and therefore haven't heard about premium tickets. At those prices, there's no reason why DOLLY! shouldn't have been more profitable at the Shubert, even with Midler's huge salary. That is, if Rudin hadn't way overspent on advertising and in other areas.

by Anonymousreply 471April 16, 2021 3:16 AM

r466, the Hollywood Reporter is not owned by Penske; it's owned by MRC. Penske owns Variety, Deadline, Hollywood Life, Rolling Stone, etc., but not THR. His monopoly is not yet complete. So the Ellison story was very much a case of taking it to THR's competitor.

by Anonymousreply 472April 16, 2021 3:18 AM

Well then why do you think Rudin overspent on advertising when it would prevent his investors from making a decent return? To keep the Times happy and lay off him?

by Anonymousreply 473April 16, 2021 4:28 AM

When dos he get a Rudin awakening?

by Anonymousreply 474April 16, 2021 4:42 AM

Hold me Don. I'm scared.

by Anonymousreply 475April 16, 2021 9:51 AM

R472 keep up with the news Rip Van Winkle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476April 16, 2021 9:58 AM

[quote]Well then why do you think Rudin overspent on advertising....

To blast his name and his project and his association with Bette Midler all over the place in order to make himself as prominent as possible. He was encouraged to do so because he could use other people's money to do it.

If the tickets were already sold, he was not advertising the show, he was promoting himself.

by Anonymousreply 477April 16, 2021 10:38 AM

He probably gets a hardon every time he sees s billboard for one of his shows.

by Anonymousreply 478April 16, 2021 10:43 AM

R470 Midler was making about $200 grand a week. Fixed costs were $850,000 a week. Grosses were over $2 million a week when Bette was in. So plenty of room for profit.

by Anonymousreply 479April 16, 2021 11:18 AM

Ewwww r478 if only it could be seen under his hairy belly

by Anonymousreply 480April 16, 2021 12:23 PM

Do you think he's sweaty with not only a hairy chest and stomach but also hairy shoulders and a hairy back?

by Anonymousreply 481April 16, 2021 3:05 PM

So New York magazine is keeping it going...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482April 16, 2021 4:54 PM

I was surprised to read he's been sort of marginalized by the big Hollywood studios. Didn't know that...But haven't the studios just become the creators of comic book//tent pole crap? Seems like that's not Rudin's taste anyway...

by Anonymousreply 483April 16, 2021 5:02 PM

"spittle-frenzied tirades" is my new favorite expression.

by Anonymousreply 484April 16, 2021 5:19 PM

Broadway shows are all produced via LLC's. One LLC for the Broadway production. Another LLC with different participants for the National Tour. Etc., etc. They have no assets, except for a pile of contracts, a set and some costumes. Lighting and sound equipment can be rented. So, sue the LLC if you want to because of the producer's bad behavior. You might get a nice settlement. Or not so much.

But a big studio? A big studio has assets. And deep pockets. Rudin and his penchant for physical violence would be a greater liability to big film studio that employed him.

by Anonymousreply 485April 16, 2021 5:50 PM

That little bitch backing out of Moulin Rouge is just pissing in the ocean, I think she using this as a SJW excuse to cover up some other reason for her exit.

by Anonymousreply 486April 16, 2021 5:55 PM

She is, frankly, a feckless cunt, that Olivo lady.

by Anonymousreply 487April 17, 2021 4:17 AM

Rudin stepping down from his Broadway shows

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488April 17, 2021 3:14 PM

There is no reason why another producer can't take over Music Man. It's happened before.

by Anonymousreply 489April 17, 2021 3:19 PM

Others have pointed out that, although they're not listed as producers of THE MUSIC MAN on ibdb, both David Geffen AND Barry Diller are co-producing the show. So it shouldn't be too surprising to anyone that plans for the production will continue without "active participation" from Rudin.

by Anonymousreply 490April 17, 2021 3:29 PM

R455, There was a comment in the HR article that Megan should not really be casting stones herself.

by Anonymousreply 491April 17, 2021 4:46 PM

Susan Jackman was "very concerned" about the Rudin story, and Sutton threatened to quit reports THR

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492April 17, 2021 11:25 PM

How long before he tries for rehabilitation showering apologies everywhere claiming he didn't understand how hurtful he was being to people by physically assaulting them and sending them to the hospital?

by Anonymousreply 493April 18, 2021 2:28 AM

So, the mighty Scott Rudin is "stepping down" and apologizing. And so much for all you cunts who said he was invincible.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

by Anonymousreply 494April 18, 2021 4:00 PM

Scott has many powerful and important friends. He will be back. Anyone familiar with the "crisis management PR playbook" will recognize in his "admission" the work of a skilled press representative. He will be back and will create layers between him and the types of people he abused to mitigate his exposure.

by Anonymousreply 495April 18, 2021 4:07 PM

So what, R495? He was brought down. He will forever be a target for lawsuits for any future conduct.

by Anonymousreply 496April 18, 2021 4:11 PM

Brought down? He "stepped back" note he did not "divest " from his Broadway shows.

by Anonymousreply 497April 18, 2021 4:16 PM

R495 knows him as "Scott."

by Anonymousreply 498April 18, 2021 4:16 PM

When you're called on your conduct and you admit it, you will forever be a lawsuit magnet, as this cunt deserves.

by Anonymousreply 499April 18, 2021 4:17 PM

[quote][R495] knows him as "Scott."

The point being what? Can't find the lie in that post

by Anonymousreply 500April 18, 2021 4:18 PM

It's the supposed familiarity of it, R500.

by Anonymousreply 501April 18, 2021 4:19 PM

[quote]It's the supposed familiarity of it, [R500].

I see your point the first name usage implies some proximity to Rudin. However, the point made is salient.

Who knows, maybe this person knows the man?

Whatever the case, watch how this story progresses. Scott is smarter than Harvey.

by Anonymousreply 502April 18, 2021 4:24 PM

I don't know at all, and neither do you, R502, how "salient" R495 is in his opinion of Rudin's predicament and his future. The point is that the press about Rudin's behavior was effective, and he will have to watch his fat ass in future.

by Anonymousreply 503April 18, 2021 4:30 PM

And watch it he will, r502. I believe the point is there isn't really much accountability in this "win" Yes, his victims can sue him in a civil court if the statute of limitation has run out on their case. I'd be curious how many of his former employees or people he victimized have sued. His problem can be solved with money whereas Harvey's could not

And money is something Scott, oh sorry, I mean "Mr Rudin" has plenty of.

Not to be cynical, things will be better but don't think he's going away permanently

by Anonymousreply 504April 18, 2021 4:34 PM

I'm not suggesting he's going away. But why should the fact that he's been called on his behavior and he's admitted it be so quickly swept under the rug? The overriding point is this: this is the comedown many people on this thread said would never happen. The press against him worked. What's different with "Harvey," as opposed to "Scott," is that Weinstein was a sexual predator--the one thing Rudin hasn't been directly accused of (yet).

by Anonymousreply 505April 18, 2021 4:40 PM

Lock him up! Lock him up!

by Anonymousreply 506April 18, 2021 4:44 PM

I'm surprised Sutton had the chutzpah. She isn't very political (that's not a criticism). Her personality and style is pretty low key and easy. She seems like a true entertainer.

by Anonymousreply 507April 18, 2021 6:33 PM

r70 Weird statement. Rudin and his husband invite younger hot guys to dinner. I know someone who got the invitation and was straight. apparently that doesnt prevent some guys from fucking them anyway.

by Anonymousreply 508April 18, 2021 6:36 PM

Sutton Foster laid down the ultimatum the pussy Hugh Jackman didn't have the nerve to:

"The outlet says that Hugh was 'very concerned' about the claims, though he reportedly did not make any ultimatums in the way Sutton did. He did 'express his position that something needed to be done'.”

Yeah--something needed to be done--just not by him!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509April 18, 2021 6:42 PM

Don't see what the problem is, if you don't want to get hit with a phone, don't work for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510April 18, 2021 6:48 PM

Is this the same spineless Hugh Jackman you speak of?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511April 18, 2021 10:57 PM

Maybe that nice Patrick Wilson can take his part in Music Man?

by Anonymousreply 512April 18, 2021 10:59 PM

Damn, this is fierce, and watch until the end for M. Night twist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513April 18, 2021 11:09 PM

R513, thanks for posting that. Incredibly powerful.

by Anonymousreply 514April 18, 2021 11:16 PM

Can anyone imagine being 'friends' with Ivanka and Jared? There is some major denial going on there.

It would be like being friends with Jared's father who he so admires. Despite him sending his own sister a sex tape of his brother in law with a hooker because she testified against him in a legal matter where he was engaged in criminal behavior. And Jared said this shouldn't be settled in a court of law but discussed with a rabbi!

by Anonymousreply 515April 19, 2021 12:35 AM

"Scott Rudin, As Told by His Assistants" Linked below

Let's up the professionally misguided fools who have appropriated this important opportunity to confront abuse in the industry with a checklist of unrelated, disconnected SJW demands of "feeling safe" and extortion demands of "HUGE SUMS OF MONEY" to "BIPOC" theater companies, wise up and stop providing a reason to dismiss the real issues around Rudin and his ilk.

This is about bullying, abuse and torture in the work environment. Period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516April 23, 2021 1:18 PM

Just came to post that too R516

But he apparently had a soft spot (or hard one) for young gay men.

by Anonymousreply 517April 23, 2021 1:24 PM

Apparently Rudin really sees himself as a Miranda Priestly.

One Quitting Story That Resulted in a 45-Minute Tirade

“I had a good relationship with Scott until the bitter end. I eventually quit because it got to be too much of an emotional toll. I was the first one in that day, and he said, ‘Hey, good morning. All right, what the fuck is going on with this list of calls? God, you haven’t set a single one of them. You’re really fucking it up.’ I looked at him and I was like, ‘I’m not here for this.’ And he was like, ‘What do you mean you’re not here for this?’ I started going into my rehearsed speech of ‘Thank you so much for this opportunity. I’ve learned so much from you,’ and he goes, ‘I don’t care. You’re so stubborn and selfish and stupid, and no one will ever want to work with you in this industry. You’re fucking up something that could have been really good for you.’ I said, ‘I know.’ He went into me for 45 minutes, trying to break me down.

“I was telling myself, Dude, don’t cry, don’t cry, don’t cry, don’t cry. I teared up at one point. I was just staring at him — his empty eyes, his empty face. Eventually he turned back to his computer and was like, ‘I’m done with you.’ I went to walk out, and he turned and said, ‘You’re really doing this, aren’t you?’ Like ‘You’re really, really, really fucking this up, aren’t you?’ I said, ‘I’m not going to be verbally abused by you on a daily basis.’ He said, ‘This isn’t verbal abuse. This is me trying to push you to be better, to be tougher, to be stronger.’ I said, ‘I am tough. I am strong. I am better. I’m out.’ —Max Hoffman, intern and executive assistant, 2020

by Anonymousreply 518April 23, 2021 1:28 PM

It would be great if people could find a way to share this with anyone who ever considers taking a job with him ever again. Maybe this would be enough to convince them that they're not strong enough and it's not be exaggerated and no they're not going to change him.

by Anonymousreply 519April 23, 2021 1:29 PM

He's a tough guy and he wants those around him to be tough. Broadway doesn't go for week people. They've got to be strong and his enormous success attests to that. He sure has employed a lot of people of color so that throwing that in along with all there other wuss demands shows them they want Broadway to institute affirmative action quotas when the theater is the least democratic institution there is and has to be. If you can't take it you're not cut out for it and should find a job in school administration.

by Anonymousreply 520April 23, 2021 1:45 PM

[quote] Broadway doesn't go for week people.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 521April 23, 2021 1:49 PM

Well it sounds like like Rudin goes for “week” people R521, after a week anyone who works for him wants to be gone.

by Anonymousreply 522April 23, 2021 1:51 PM

Go easy on her, R521. Spelling is hard when you’ve recently taken a stapler to the temple.

by Anonymousreply 523April 23, 2021 1:54 PM

Broadway doesn't go for dope or booze, either.

by Anonymousreply 524April 23, 2021 2:20 PM

Was Mormon a Rudin production? What do the South Park boys have to say on this issue, preferably in cartoons?

by Anonymousreply 525April 23, 2021 2:24 PM

Rudin is a very weak person psychologically. Like all bullies, he secretly feels inadequate. His psychological problems and criminal behavior are not the cause of his success.

He succeeded in spite of his weaknesses, not because of them

And he is over.

by Anonymousreply 526April 23, 2021 2:27 PM

[quote] Rudin is a very weak person psychologically. Like all bullies, he secretly feels inadequate. His psychological problems and criminal behavior are not the cause of his success.

hear hear

by Anonymousreply 527April 23, 2021 2:30 PM

One or two of the things in the Vulture story sound like a pile on. I mean, if you're answering the phones "Scott Rubin" you deserve a kick in the ass!

But there's a line between being, say, a Miranda Priestly perfectionist, and being physically abusive. And he clearly broke that barrier numerous times.

Rudin might think he was "toughening someone up" but he just reads as a giant baby with no emotional skills to process anything when he doesn't get his way.

by Anonymousreply 528April 23, 2021 2:36 PM

It's been a while since I've seen the film so I've forgotten the scene where Meryl Streep, as Miranda Priestly, screamed obscenities while smashing a computer over Anne Hathaway's character until she had to go to the hospital.

I thought she was just a chilly workaholic with OCD.

by Anonymousreply 529April 23, 2021 2:52 PM

I wonder how he treats his husband. Sounds like a nasty fuck in the the sack.

by Anonymousreply 530April 23, 2021 3:13 PM

R529 The “blue” sweater made her do it.

by Anonymousreply 531April 23, 2021 3:14 PM

[quote] Rudin might think he was "toughening someone up"

r528 he never thought that. It's a possible rationalization but, please.

by Anonymousreply 532April 23, 2021 3:51 PM

I thought Streep is on the record as saying she channeled Mike Nichols for her Amanda Priestly.

by Anonymousreply 533April 23, 2021 4:51 PM

A common misdirection on the part of La Streep. She was parodying Angela Westwater of the gallery Sperone Westwater, which represented Streep's husband's art at the time. I know Angela is extremely talented but a huge pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 534April 23, 2021 4:57 PM

It doesn't really matter, R530. Rudin's husband is a colossal asshole and richly deserves whatever abuse he gets.

by Anonymousreply 535April 23, 2021 5:08 PM

[quote]He's a tough guy and he wants those around him to be tough. Broadway doesn't go for week people. They've got to be strong and his enormous success attests to that. If you can't take it you're not cut out for it and should find a job in school administration.

And yet, there are many Broadway producers who have achieved enormous success without being tyrants presiding over toxic workplaces. You don't have to be an asshole to mount a hit show.

by Anonymousreply 536April 23, 2021 5:21 PM

It was not a secret Rudin was a sick fuck. Problem is, sometimes people like/need sick fucks. We had one for president.

by Anonymousreply 537April 23, 2021 5:24 PM

I’d like to see how Rudin would react if he had so “toughened up” one of these employees that they threw a punch or an object at back him when he got physically abusive.

by Anonymousreply 538April 23, 2021 5:26 PM

R516 It does say a lot about these actors that they feel they can tell Rudin how to make amends, rather than letting his actual victims do that.

by Anonymousreply 539April 23, 2021 5:50 PM

[quote]I ran into Scott one other time after that. I was rollerblading through Central Park. I did the only thing I could, which was blade right over to him to show him I was no longer scared. And you know what happened? He was charming as hell because I was no longer someone he had any power over. The power dynamic was no longer there.

Something very similar happened to me with a former manager who had acted like a psychopath at work, and was charming and funny when I ran into her years later. I wondered if it was a combination of being power crazy and being just plain old crazy, and whether she had finally found the right meds...

by Anonymousreply 540April 23, 2021 5:57 PM

[quote]One of the first things any of the other interns told me was that it would be way easier for me because I was a pretty gay person and not a woman, and especially not a woman of color. He would have me do all of the runs; I would take things to his house so he could read them. That was an opportunity that was given to me because I was pretty; he could trust me. The Black women, especially, he would never trust. He doesn’t invest in them. My jaw would drop every time some poor girl got in his viewfinder. The way he was cutting and cruel to me was awful, but it was funny, because he was like, “Ha-ha-ha, whatever, you’re catty.” It was so much worse when it was targeted at a 21-year-old girl.

Hmm, I find it hard to believe Rudin would get along with a guy (sorry, person) who describes himself as pretty.

by Anonymousreply 541April 23, 2021 6:00 PM

You know you're large and in charge, when you can upgrade from a snack purse to a snack closet.

"He has an enormous closet of snacks — giant Tupperware of M&M’s, Oreos, Cheerios. Don’t eat snacks when he notices things are low in the kitchen.”

by Anonymousreply 542April 23, 2021 6:01 PM

[quote]I’d like to see how Rudin would react if he had so “toughened up” one of these employees that they threw a punch or an object at back him when he got physically abusive.

On a similar note, I would have thought that, out of all the hundreds if not thousands of people that Rudin has abused over the years, at least one of them would have retaliated physically in one way or another. But there don't seem to be any accounts of anything like that ever happening -- and if it had happened, even only once, I'm pretty sure someone would have told the story.

by Anonymousreply 543April 23, 2021 6:33 PM

[quote] You don't have to be an asshole to mount a hit show.

The thing is that most people are stupid and easily impressed. If you are an asshole, or full on sociopath, you become great at pushing people's buttons to make people do whatever you want them to do.

Say, you have lots of money and want to invest "in the arts" or in the entertainment industry. Along comes some producer with big words, great pitch, even greater promises, and invites you to a private party with celebs you know and maybe even worship. By the end of the evening you are basically like Fry from Futurama screaming "shut up and take my money!".

Guys like Rudin are master manipulators. At first. Once investors realize that guys like Rudin don't really deliver on their promises, the investors move on and the producers look for new rubes to invest and fall for the same scheme.

We see with guys like Trump as well. Boasting about success, power and money when there is none. Trump's biggest power was convincing others that he had so much power that it's in people's interest to do business with him. Once people were on to him his scheme fell apart like a house of cards and he's desperately digging himself out of a gigantic hole of debt and humiliating defeat looking for that big break that could be his big comeback.

by Anonymousreply 544April 23, 2021 6:36 PM

It is annoying to me that Steve Jobs died before he had this kind of moment.

by Anonymousreply 545April 23, 2021 7:17 PM

Actually, R545, it's hilarious to me, because it means Steve Jobs is dead. I hope Satan is shoving carrots up his asshole for all eternity.

by Anonymousreply 546April 23, 2021 7:50 PM

I guess Mark Harris and Tony Kushner must be friends with Rudin, because Mark has been dead silent about this on Twitter. And he usually has an opinion on everything film or Broadway related.

by Anonymousreply 547April 23, 2021 8:06 PM

Miss Harris just resigned from NY Magazine, too.

by Anonymousreply 548April 23, 2021 8:08 PM

r547, I wondered about the same thing! Is Rudin producing the West Side Story movie or another Kushner play?

by Anonymousreply 549April 24, 2021 9:14 AM

Spielberg is doing [italic]WSS[/italic] film. I don't recall any projects Kushner did for Rudin, but he does Spielberg projects a lot. The only Kushner-Rudin alliance listed in this 2003 list is a Eugene O'Neill bio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550April 24, 2021 11:42 AM

Rudin is known as a pushy bottom.

by Anonymousreply 551April 24, 2021 11:56 AM

Merrick was known as the abominable showman and read Lupone on Prince. She claims he was so horribly abusive towards her it made her entire run on Broadway in Evita an ordeal.

by Anonymousreply 552April 24, 2021 12:21 PM

Patti claims a lot of things, especially to play up herself as a victim. Has anyone else made similar claims about Prince?

by Anonymousreply 553April 24, 2021 1:21 PM

Prince demands consonants.

by Anonymousreply 554April 24, 2021 1:23 PM

Rudin sucks. Racism sucks. We need to improve.

I hate WSYWAT's hostile style and off-putting tactics, but their "homework" of creating their "demands" was impressive and could be useful. Meanwhile, BFRJ is imprecise and unfocused, and merging Rudin, racism, AEA, and "plantation" language makes their message and goals completely unclear and impossible to approach. Perhaps they should have worked together. Now it's just aggressive but diffuse and generalized anger and dissatisfaction.

by Anonymousreply 555April 24, 2021 1:57 PM

The NY Times published an article.

He's not coming back folks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556April 24, 2021 3:45 PM

NYT is so brave jumping on the bandwagon now that all the hard work has been done.

by Anonymousreply 557April 24, 2021 3:53 PM

Rita Wilson had to throw in her story. While callous, it doesn't reach the level of abuse others received. This falls in line with Michael Chabon's essay about how Rudin would restrain himself around him, but he could see it was a struggle.

In 2015, Ms. Wilson learned she had breast cancer while starring in a Rudin production of Larry David’s play “Fish in the Dark.” When she told Mr. Rudin the news, she said, he complained that she would need time off during Tony voting season and asked to see her medical records, while Anna Shapiro, the director, grew upset about having to find a replacement.

A few days later, just before the curtains rose, Ms. Wilson received a call from her agent, saying her surgeon needed to call the insurance adjuster immediately, per Mr. Rudin’s demands. The memory still pains her.

“I felt like he was trying to find a way to fire me legally,” Ms. Wilson said. “He is the kind of person who makes someone feel worthless, unvaluable and replaceable.”

Ms. Shapiro said she had been trying to be helpful and had immediately apologized when it became clear that she had unintentionally upset Ms. Wilson; Rick Miramontez, a spokesman for Mr. Rudin, said that Mr. Rudin’s recollection was that Ms. Wilson had wanted to open the show and then leave, but that he and the director had not wanted her to delay treatment.

by Anonymousreply 558April 24, 2021 4:08 PM

Of course ole snaggletoothed attention whore Rita had to put her dirty ass in the water on this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559April 24, 2021 4:19 PM

Why didn’t she just have Tom destroy him? What use is being married to Mr. Hanks if he doesn’t have that much power?

by Anonymousreply 560April 24, 2021 4:26 PM

Wow, that was a hell of an article. kudos to the Hollywood Reporter for breaking the story but the NYT followed the money.

It says a lot that so many creative people were unwilling to speak out, probably because they have seen enough horror movies to know that he just might rise from the dead.

So his MO was to monopolize as many theaters and playwrights, agents etc so only he could get could get anything produced, then suck the money out of the major hits and funnel it to the prestigious stuff so he could get awards.

True mafioso stuff and a game that can only go on for so long before folks start asking for accounting.

He's done. unless he spends is own money.

by Anonymousreply 561April 24, 2021 5:19 PM

I'm sure he is very very rich skimming off money that should have gone to investors.

by Anonymousreply 562April 24, 2021 5:30 PM

I'm sure Rudin rolled his eyes as hard as I did at this statement prepared to him by his crisis PR.

And Mr. Rudin’s next steps? “I am doing the work to become a better person and address my issues,” he said in the statement to The Times. “Beyond that commitment, anything else would be far too early to contemplate.”

by Anonymousreply 563April 24, 2021 5:37 PM

[quote]I'm sure he is very very rich skimming off money that should have gone to investors.

Has any investor ever sued him? If they think they were defrauded, why don't they form a class action suit and find out. I guess they haven't done so thus far to avoid pissing him off, but now that nobody will partner with him, the gloves might come off.

by Anonymousreply 564April 24, 2021 5:39 PM

That is his fucking response to all of this?

How about "I have made a shit ton of money and can afford to retire and never trouble anyone ever again with my loathsome carcass"?

by Anonymousreply 565April 24, 2021 5:39 PM

[quote]She claims he was so horribly abusive towards her it made her entire run on Broadway in Evita an ordeal.

Thank goodness she had all that coke to console her.

by Anonymousreply 566April 24, 2021 5:45 PM

Paulson's story shows the same courage he had at The Boston Globe on the Catholic Church sex abuse scandals. When you see the movie "Spotlight", you hear his name mentioned. He was, at the time, the religion reporter for The Boston Globe, and they acknowledge he wanted nothing to do with the story, so they created that separate team. Paulson is not a leader in investigative journalism, which is why he was given the theatre beat at The Times. Who knew Broadway would require an investigative journalist.

by Anonymousreply 567April 24, 2021 5:45 PM

R564 The Hello Dolly investors started talking about it, and then suddenly received an extra payment and the talk dissipated.

That said, we're clearly not talking about particularly smart investors, given they signed a contract which doesn't allow them to criticise Rudin in public, nor brag about being one of his investors

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568April 24, 2021 6:20 PM

I do like her, but I foresee an overwrought victim laced statement coming from Greta Gerwig in tge very near future.

by Anonymousreply 569April 24, 2021 6:44 PM

huh?

by Anonymousreply 570April 24, 2021 6:46 PM

Fuck all these people. They all looked the other way when Rudin gave them prestigious employment. That's all they care about. Their own glorious selves.

Now that he is getting bad press, they turn on him. And mark my words, they do NOT care about how he treats his office staff. They could not care less about that. They merely do not want to be on the wrong side of bad press. So now they speak up. They're shocked. Shocked!

Fuck them all. Every last miserable one of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571April 24, 2021 6:58 PM

Exactly R571. Ever since Broadway and Hollywood became politically outraged it has always been do as I say not as I do. The arrogance of show people who say nothing until they think they're on the wrong side of publicity.

Like 'I didn't know' is an excuse. The gossip and talk about these people spreads like wildfire among everybody well before the public becomes aware of it. But who in the world is going to give up a chance for money or an Oscar or a Tony because flunkeys and peons are horribly mistreated? Like that matters in the least.

by Anonymousreply 572April 24, 2021 7:09 PM

Do you think Rudin is into really degrading and S&M laced sex?

by Anonymousreply 573April 24, 2021 7:14 PM

The cunt Rudin is OVER. To all you dickbags on this thread who defended him and his behavior, and said he wasn't going away:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 574April 24, 2021 7:26 PM

[quote]Patti claims a lot of things, especially to play up herself as a victim. Has anyone else made similar claims about Prince?

A friend recently told me that, of all people, George Chakiris has badmouthed Hal Prince -- and highly praised Jerome Robbins! But, in my experience, people speaking ill of Prince is a very rare occurrence. so I think any such talk should be taken with more than a grain of salt.

by Anonymousreply 575April 24, 2021 7:34 PM

Interesting that the NYT chose a photo of him with Jordan Roth. Probably reading too much into it, but after those pieces of Medium went after Roth, did wonder if any reporters picked up on them and did some digging.

by Anonymousreply 576April 24, 2021 7:48 PM

He's resigning from the Broadway League

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577April 24, 2021 7:57 PM

At the very least he should take a year off not only to take anger management classes but to lose a lot of weight, shave, and get better eyeglass frames that don't come from 2007.

by Anonymousreply 578April 24, 2021 8:08 PM

After the anger management retraining he should have to sign a binding agreement to lose a finger every time he subsequently throws something at a person.

by Anonymousreply 579April 24, 2021 8:13 PM

Maybe he can do a makeover reality show:

Frumpy to Fabulous: The New and Improved Scott Rudin!

by Anonymousreply 580April 24, 2021 8:16 PM

He's got to LEARN how to ACCEPT his FAT!

That's why he's so angry all the time!

It's the only way, sugar-pies!

by Anonymousreply 581April 24, 2021 8:20 PM

Um, r571, please take your meds before you post. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 582April 24, 2021 9:19 PM

No, R573. That would require more interest in others than deficient old Scott Rudin can muster.

He might have mirrors over the marriage bed, though. I know the husband. Trust me, that's a coitus you would not want to see.

by Anonymousreply 583April 24, 2021 10:14 PM

I temped in his NY offices for a week back in the 90's. He was out of town when I was there but I heard about him throwing staplers, everyone acted like they had PTSD and I overheard him screaming at people on the phone. I turned down the offer to stay on and went elsewhere instead of meeting him. This was '97. I'm surprised it's taken this long for it all to break out in the open. I didn't even hear that many complaints when I temped at Miramax. Everyone seemed so much happier there.

by Anonymousreply 584April 24, 2021 11:02 PM

R583 Scott's poor husband must be a pro at closing his eyes and thinking of England.

by Anonymousreply 585April 24, 2021 11:07 PM

I knew people that worked at Miramax too R584. I agree, it was a different environment then Rudin's office of horrors. It was a much larger staff and Harvey wasn't around that much. I've been to the offices myself many times for meetings with some of the execs.

by Anonymousreply 586April 25, 2021 12:58 AM

SO The Hollywood Reporter started this whole thing now sort of out of nowhere at a random moment. What triggered it? Why now?

by Anonymousreply 587April 25, 2021 1:40 PM

So the question is who will take Rudin's place? Is there a new generation producer with his pluses but without his, ahem, minuses?

by Anonymousreply 588April 25, 2021 2:52 PM

I think Rudin is just lying low right now. In a few years he will attempt a comeback and have an army of bots ready to praise his return on social media.

by Anonymousreply 589April 25, 2021 3:24 PM

Hollywood Reporter is doing old world investigative journalism lately. Kind of funny that a paper dedicated to entertainment would be leading the charge right now on that type of journalism.

Has there been some kind of management recently?

Maybe that twin brother of the dead assistant pushed for it. He's based in L.A.

by Anonymousreply 590April 25, 2021 4:36 PM

Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, Leonard Lopate and Kevin Spacey as well as Weinstein have all been successfully canceled with no return in sight. I don't see why Rudin will ever be welcomed back no matter how much money he made for his investors (which now doesn't appear to be much).

by Anonymousreply 591April 25, 2021 6:54 PM

Lauer, Rose, Lopate and Spacey were all about sex. No one has accused Rudin of that. Big difference. In our culture, you can be forgiven for being a bully, not a rapist.

by Anonymousreply 592April 25, 2021 7:05 PM

I thought Dustin Hoffman was over and done too, but he's in a new movie directed by Mayim Bialik. James Franco has some forthcoming credits too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593April 25, 2021 7:09 PM

R593 I guess theirs wasn’t rape rape.

by Anonymousreply 594April 25, 2021 7:18 PM

Yay! I hope Dianna Agron finally makes it big.

by Anonymousreply 595April 25, 2021 8:19 PM

If it's as good as Biailk's sitcom, they are doomed. And she played a big part in that sitcom...It is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 596April 25, 2021 9:06 PM

Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597April 25, 2021 9:47 PM

Bajour, Monsieur Cochon!

by Anonymousreply 598April 25, 2021 9:51 PM

I know someone on a Rudin show. They report its pretty clear he ain't going nowhere...

by Anonymousreply 599April 25, 2021 10:00 PM

Hereeeeeeeeeeee's SCOTTY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600April 25, 2021 10:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!