Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NZ's Jacinda Ardern to Australia: "Welcome back, baby"

The Trans-Tasman travel bubble is due to begin at 11.59 pm (AEST) on Sunday, April 18.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26Last Thursday at 2:22 AM

9 News Australia calls her "New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Arden"?

by Anonymousreply 1Last Tuesday at 6:38 PM

Oh, Dear.

by Anonymousreply 2Last Tuesday at 6:38 PM

"Think of New Zealand as another state". I can't believe she just said that.

by Anonymousreply 3Last Tuesday at 6:39 PM

Australian travelers traditionally make up 40% of New Zealand's tourism, no wonder she is keen to have them back.

by Anonymousreply 4Last Tuesday at 6:41 PM

[quote]"Think of New Zealand as another state". I can't believe she just said that.

Given that we've discovered during the pandemic that our Federal Government serves virtually no purpose and it is the State leaders to whom we owe our privileged health status, I think she's just getting with the strength.

by Anonymousreply 5Last Tuesday at 6:46 PM

Her husband looks good and she seems anorexic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6Last Tuesday at 6:53 PM

This bubble will definitely be a big hit with Aussies, and vice versa. I'm looking forward to being able to fly out to the South Island and see Queenstown without all the tourists. Dunedin is a gorgeous city to visit in winter, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 7Last Tuesday at 6:55 PM

They need to hire Lainie Kazan back to be their tourism ambassador.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8Last Tuesday at 7:32 PM

She comes off as a smug bitch

by Anonymousreply 9Last Tuesday at 7:37 PM

She's not anorexic, but you are obese. And R9 is a fat, ugly anti-Trudeau, anti-Ardern cunt troll.

by Anonymousreply 10Last Tuesday at 7:39 PM

People from Queensland will still need to be tested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11Last Tuesday at 7:55 PM

In America, we just do what we want! Look at how it turned out! 🤡

by Anonymousreply 12Last Tuesday at 7:59 PM

I wish these two wonderful countries nothing but the best, but I do feel that this reopening is probably going to turn out to be too soon. But maybe they really have things under control there.

by Anonymousreply 13Last Tuesday at 8:06 PM

[quote]Dunedin is a gorgeous city to visit in winter, isn't it?

You must be joking. Dunedin in winter is colder than Judith Collins' tit and dreary as Shona Laing.

by Anonymousreply 14Last Tuesday at 8:07 PM

R10 you're right. She's probably borderline anorexic.

by Anonymousreply 15Last Tuesday at 8:10 PM

R6 She did quite well for herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16Last Tuesday at 8:12 PM

[quote] borderline anorexic

She could eat an apple through a picket fence.

And she's got two mops of hair handing on either side of her head.

by Anonymousreply 17Last Tuesday at 8:23 PM

Thank you, R13. It probably is "too soon" in the sense of avoiding the virus altogether, but we have got really good at clamping down on outbreaks early. The last few in Australia have succumbed to 3-day lockdowns.

What happens is that people in the affected areas are (a) clearly told what those areas are and when the lockdown starts, and (b) asked to come forward for testing - and they do, in large quantities. Testing is free and readily available. When they find a positive, authorities map the genomic sequence so they know for sure whose case is related to whose, and simultaneously use contact tracing to find everybody who has had possible contact with the virus. Because of the genomics they know if there's a "missing link" they haven't found yet. They isolate everyone with a realistic chance of having caught it for up to two weeks, and this way it really does only take a few days to get it out of circulation and let everyone else go free again. The recent Queensland cases were the extra-infectious UK strain, too.

All shops and other public places people regularly go have to have QR codes up outside, and you sign in/out with an app when you enter and leave. This helps contact tracers find more exposed people more quickly.

I'm not sure about NZ, but Australia has vaccinated all airport and quarantine workers (AND their families) with Pfizer, as well as staff in the hospitals where people coming from overseas with the virus are likely to end up in serious cases. Almost everyone else in the country is only getting Astra Zeneca, though, which doesn't protect against the South African variant, so I can't see how we're going to abolish quarantine for anywhere but NZ anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 18Last Tuesday at 8:32 PM

[quote]Dunedin in winter is colder than Judith Collins' tit and dreary as Shona Laing.

Dunedin is pretty place, albeit with a slightly unsettling vibe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19Last Tuesday at 8:32 PM

R17 = Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 20Last Tuesday at 8:32 PM

R19 It's also one of the few large cities in the Southern Hemisphere that gets a decent amount of snowfall at sea level.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21Last Tuesday at 8:34 PM

There’s a lot of anxiety bubble and it’s understandable. Us Kiwis have done so well thus far and don’t want our traditional Tasman rivals to fuck things up for us.

While a few of my kiwi friends who reside in Australia have already booked flights, I don’t think I’ll be jumping the ditch any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 22Last Tuesday at 8:37 PM

US needs to nuke both Australia and New Zealand. Two useless countries that serve no purpose. Hemorrhoids of the world.

by Anonymousreply 23Last Tuesday at 8:52 PM

Is New Zealand not part of Australia? Do they use different currencies?

by Anonymousreply 24Last Tuesday at 8:59 PM

R23 We don't agree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25Last Tuesday at 9:00 PM

They are completely separate countries with different currencies, different systems of government and different approaches to their [different] Indigenous peoples, R24, just in case you are serious.

by Anonymousreply 26Last Thursday at 2:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!