Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NZ's Jacinda Ardern to Australia: "Welcome back, baby"

The Trans-Tasman travel bubble is due to begin at 11.59 pm (AEST) on Sunday, April 18.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 26, 2021 12:09 PM

9 News Australia calls her "New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Arden"?

by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2021 2:38 AM

Oh, Dear.

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2021 2:38 AM

"Think of New Zealand as another state". I can't believe she just said that.

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2021 2:39 AM

Australian travelers traditionally make up 40% of New Zealand's tourism, no wonder she is keen to have them back.

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2021 2:41 AM

[quote]"Think of New Zealand as another state". I can't believe she just said that.

Given that we've discovered during the pandemic that our Federal Government serves virtually no purpose and it is the State leaders to whom we owe our privileged health status, I think she's just getting with the strength.

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2021 2:46 AM

Her husband looks good and she seems anorexic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2021 2:53 AM

This bubble will definitely be a big hit with Aussies, and vice versa. I'm looking forward to being able to fly out to the South Island and see Queenstown without all the tourists. Dunedin is a gorgeous city to visit in winter, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 2:55 AM

They need to hire Lainie Kazan back to be their tourism ambassador.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2021 3:32 AM

She comes off as a smug bitch

by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2021 3:37 AM

She's not anorexic, but you are obese. And R9 is a fat, ugly anti-Trudeau, anti-Ardern cunt troll.

by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2021 3:39 AM

People from Queensland will still need to be tested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 7, 2021 3:55 AM

In America, we just do what we want! Look at how it turned out! 🤡

by Anonymousreply 12April 7, 2021 3:59 AM

I wish these two wonderful countries nothing but the best, but I do feel that this reopening is probably going to turn out to be too soon. But maybe they really have things under control there.

by Anonymousreply 13April 7, 2021 4:06 AM

[quote]Dunedin is a gorgeous city to visit in winter, isn't it?

You must be joking. Dunedin in winter is colder than Judith Collins' tit and dreary as Shona Laing.

by Anonymousreply 14April 7, 2021 4:07 AM

R10 you're right. She's probably borderline anorexic.

by Anonymousreply 15April 7, 2021 4:10 AM

R6 She did quite well for herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 7, 2021 4:12 AM

[quote] borderline anorexic

She could eat an apple through a picket fence.

And she's got two mops of hair handing on either side of her head.

by Anonymousreply 17April 7, 2021 4:23 AM

Thank you, R13. It probably is "too soon" in the sense of avoiding the virus altogether, but we have got really good at clamping down on outbreaks early. The last few in Australia have succumbed to 3-day lockdowns.

What happens is that people in the affected areas are (a) clearly told what those areas are and when the lockdown starts, and (b) asked to come forward for testing - and they do, in large quantities. Testing is free and readily available. When they find a positive, authorities map the genomic sequence so they know for sure whose case is related to whose, and simultaneously use contact tracing to find everybody who has had possible contact with the virus. Because of the genomics they know if there's a "missing link" they haven't found yet. They isolate everyone with a realistic chance of having caught it for up to two weeks, and this way it really does only take a few days to get it out of circulation and let everyone else go free again. The recent Queensland cases were the extra-infectious UK strain, too.

All shops and other public places people regularly go have to have QR codes up outside, and you sign in/out with an app when you enter and leave. This helps contact tracers find more exposed people more quickly.

I'm not sure about NZ, but Australia has vaccinated all airport and quarantine workers (AND their families) with Pfizer, as well as staff in the hospitals where people coming from overseas with the virus are likely to end up in serious cases. Almost everyone else in the country is only getting Astra Zeneca, though, which doesn't protect against the South African variant, so I can't see how we're going to abolish quarantine for anywhere but NZ anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 18April 7, 2021 4:32 AM

[quote]Dunedin in winter is colder than Judith Collins' tit and dreary as Shona Laing.

Dunedin is pretty place, albeit with a slightly unsettling vibe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 7, 2021 4:32 AM

R17 = Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 20April 7, 2021 4:32 AM

R19 It's also one of the few large cities in the Southern Hemisphere that gets a decent amount of snowfall at sea level.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 7, 2021 4:34 AM

There’s a lot of anxiety bubble and it’s understandable. Us Kiwis have done so well thus far and don’t want our traditional Tasman rivals to fuck things up for us.

While a few of my kiwi friends who reside in Australia have already booked flights, I don’t think I’ll be jumping the ditch any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 22April 7, 2021 4:37 AM

US needs to nuke both Australia and New Zealand. Two useless countries that serve no purpose. Hemorrhoids of the world.

by Anonymousreply 23April 7, 2021 4:52 AM

Is New Zealand not part of Australia? Do they use different currencies?

by Anonymousreply 24April 7, 2021 4:59 AM

R23 We don't agree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 7, 2021 5:00 AM

They are completely separate countries with different currencies, different systems of government and different approaches to their [different] Indigenous peoples, R24, just in case you are serious.

by Anonymousreply 26April 8, 2021 10:22 AM

Touchdown between both countries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 20, 2021 5:18 AM

The trivel bubble is now open. And it's a massive stip for both countries. Australians can now travel over for geysers and fush and chups and it won't cost them an arm and a lig.

by Anonymousreply 28April 20, 2021 5:21 AM

In other news, Soleil Moon Frye has an evil twin living in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 29April 20, 2021 5:24 AM

This will end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 30April 20, 2021 5:24 AM

And NZ had a positive result today for a Airport worker who had been vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 31April 20, 2021 5:31 AM

She's not just a bitch, she's China's bitch.

by Anonymousreply 32April 20, 2021 5:48 AM

New Zealanders are not under the same "No Travel" ban, which has applied to most Aussies for the past 14 months. That means this could be an opportunity for Aussies to use NZ as a means to escape to Europe or elsewhere, although it may make entry back into the country impossible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 20, 2021 6:14 AM

Fucking hell r14, I'm chuckling like Winston does after a zinger in parliament.

by Anonymousreply 34April 20, 2021 6:23 AM

R25 It's not fair. 35,000 Aussies are stranded internationally, and they let cunts like Sean Penn in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 20, 2021 6:47 AM

She's got no choice, r32. When shit inevitably goes down in the pacific do you think the Brits will be there? The Americans? No-one gives a fuck, China already owns all the Pacific nations with their wonderful 'loans' and the ports are big enough for warships.

The pacific is gone.

by Anonymousreply 37April 20, 2021 6:51 AM

R37 The Australians, for all their faults, still have the backbone to stand up to China occasionally. Why not the Kiwis?

by Anonymousreply 38April 20, 2021 6:54 AM

And yet, r36, aside from 3 weeks one year ago, life has gone ahead as per usual for most of the populations of both countries.

We can go anywhere, we just know that we will have to quarantine to get back in. Fucking hell, are you really comparing the shit show in your country to Australia/NZ? Grow the fuck up and get a clue you ignorant tit.

by Anonymousreply 39April 20, 2021 6:54 AM

r37 trade

by Anonymousreply 40April 20, 2021 6:55 AM

Sorry, r38 I meant

by Anonymousreply 41April 20, 2021 6:55 AM

R33 An amendment to legislation has been made which warns Australians they could face jail or hefty fines if they fly anywhere else overseas from NZ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 21, 2021 4:53 AM

Is Jacinda a tranny? She has that tranny horseface which is so common.

by Anonymousreply 43April 21, 2021 5:57 AM

[quote] horseface

She has those two swags of hair which look like two horsetails hanging down both sides of her head.

She needs to experiment with the Bouffant Look.

by Anonymousreply 44April 21, 2021 5:59 AM

She sure has big teeth and mouth. hee haw, horsey.

by Anonymousreply 45April 21, 2021 7:44 AM

R24. You are the most American person in the world.

by Anonymousreply 46April 21, 2021 4:39 PM

She has r44. It looks decent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 26, 2021 11:36 AM

A bit embarrassed for DL that the majority of comments are about her appearance and weight, rather than the topic at hand, but not surprised.

As an Australian I do think it's still a little too soon (I don't feel in any rush to make the trip myself, we've already held out this long). But to be able to do this successfully and provide an example of safe travel between countries could lead to international travel borders opening up sooner than we think as well. She has done great work getting it under control, and I hope this operation is a relative success.

Is Karl Stefanovic using again? He seemed kind of out of it in the clip.

by Anonymousreply 48April 26, 2021 11:57 AM

OH MY GOD R24. Are you for real?

by Anonymousreply 49April 26, 2021 12:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!