Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, are any of these groups from the 1970s worth listening to?

I've been going through my parents record collection and I've enjoyed listening to some of the gems they have in their collection.

HOWEVER, there's a ton of records by 1970s soft rock/country-ish/singer-songwriter groups that haven't retained their popularity over the years and that I've never listened to, beyond maybe a hit or two by a few of them. Are any of their records worth dusting off and playing? If so, which one should I listen to fist?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294April 29, 2021 11:12 PM

You have to have been a gayling living through the craptastic 70s to really hate this stuff.

I think Bread was the poor man's version of America, which was the poor man's version of The Eagles which were shit to begin with. I was so happy when the New Wave groups started on the scene. Music between 1970 and 1978 was pretty bleak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2021 1:03 AM

May I suggest Steely Dan instead? Their music has held up very well.

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2021 1:06 AM

R2 You may, but I've already "discovered" and enjoyed their Steely Dan records! They were much better than what I've been lead to believe. I don't understand their reputation for being frat boy music, I guess the 70s were a different time.

What's funny about these albums to me, is that I don't think they had any "musical" staying power for my parents, I don't think they kept listening to any of those groups listed after the 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2021 1:14 AM

Best bet is to google lists of these groups' hits and give those songs a listen. None of those bands ever released an essential album other than greatest hits collections.

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2021 1:21 AM

Pure 1970's California rock.

Full bush and hairy holes EVERYWHERE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2021 1:23 AM

^^^ LOVE!!!

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2021 1:24 AM

Those are all terrible bands, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 1:26 AM

Those are all fantastic bands, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2021 1:27 AM

Agreed. The songs may seem schmaltzy by today’s standards, but I find their music soothing as they are from my childhood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2021 1:29 AM

I thought America was great (grew up in 70s/80s) and have listened to them my entire life. And also a lot of music from the Eagles. i have never owned any music from the others but tolerated their songs when they came on (except the Flying Burrito Brothers - who the hell even is that??). Seals & Croft were kind of unique, but i only knew their radio hits, never owned any music by them.

by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2021 1:37 AM

One of the best 70's songs of all time. It's still sounds spectacular. Wear headphones to hear every tiny sound. It's beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 7, 2021 1:40 AM

Lots of men with long hair and beards and no body.

by Anonymousreply 12April 7, 2021 1:41 AM

[quote]You have to have been a gayling living through the craptastic 70s to really hate this stuff. I think Bread was the poor man's version of America, which was the poor man's version of The Eagles which were shit to begin with. I was so happy when the New Wave groups started on the scene. Music between 1970 and 1978 was pretty bleak.

r1, I bet you and I are almost the exact same age. I had the same reaction, especially to America: "Why did the horse have no name? You're in the desert! There's nothing to do but GIVE the horse a name, you stupid hippies!"

"Play some 'funky Dixieland'? THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS FUNKY DIXIELAND!"

by Anonymousreply 13April 7, 2021 1:46 AM

Overall the Doobie Brothers are the best, but The Flying Burrito Brothers were as good when they were at their peak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 7, 2021 1:49 AM

"I found her diary underneath a tree . . ."

WTF was her diary doing underneath a tree? People got misty listening to this song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 7, 2021 1:55 AM

I love this video. I want that denim sequined jacket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 7, 2021 1:58 AM

I'd be shocked if there weren't any Three Dog Night albums in the collection. They were one of the most popular groups at that time.

They didn't write their own songs, but they sung some of the best songs of that time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 7, 2021 1:59 AM

Seals and Crofts’ first album is lyrical and mystical — nothing like the commercial crap they switched to. I highly recommend it. It’s like they became a different group over night.

by Anonymousreply 18April 7, 2021 2:02 AM

R17 Yep, they DO have Three Dog Night in their collection and enough albums that I should have put them in the poll: Golden Bisquits, Harmony, and Seven Separate Fools.

I also should have put Poco in the poll.

by Anonymousreply 19April 7, 2021 2:02 AM

All these bands are good.

“Schmaltzy by today’s standards”? By today’s standards, everything mentioned in this thread is absolute fucking gold.

by Anonymousreply 20April 7, 2021 2:03 AM

R18, there’s nothing wrong with “Summer Breeze.” It’s an exquisite composition.

by Anonymousreply 21April 7, 2021 2:03 AM

Dennis Locorriere from Dr Hook has big dick face

by Anonymousreply 22April 7, 2021 2:04 AM

Summer Breeze is trite top 40.

by Anonymousreply 23April 7, 2021 2:05 AM

[Quote] there’s nothing wrong with “Summer Breeze.”

Never said that but okay.

by Anonymousreply 24April 7, 2021 2:06 AM

All of those bands are pretty bad EXCEPT the Flying Burrito Brothers and specifically Gilded Palace of Sin, which is a truly truly great record. There's a reason that Gram Parsons was friends with Keith Richards and Mick Jagger - they're peers.

Best of Bread is actually kind of pleasant once in a blue moon.

by Anonymousreply 25April 7, 2021 2:06 AM

America had great harmonies and excellent songwriting. Tin Man, A Horse With No Name, You Can Do Magic, Lonely People, I Need You...and even a lot of their deep cuts are pretty good. If you like Crosby, Stills and Nash, I think you will like America.

by Anonymousreply 26April 7, 2021 2:07 AM

Just remember when listening and watching these videos. HUGE BUSHES AND HAIRY HOLES EVERYWHERE IN THE 1970'S.

by Anonymousreply 27April 7, 2021 2:07 AM

R20 agreed. That’s the irony of it, and makes the hyper analysis of 70s song lyrics by millennials even more laughable.

by Anonymousreply 28April 7, 2021 2:08 AM

Kansas had some good songs too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 7, 2021 2:10 AM

America is revolting. “Sister Golden Hair” has some retarded lyrics.

R18, I don’t know how else to interpret what you wrote. It sounds dismissive of everything that came after their solo record; “Summer Breeze” was a few albums down the road. Read what you wrote again.

by Anonymousreply 30April 7, 2021 2:10 AM

LOVE the 3 a, b, c's: america, bread, the carpenters...

say what you will....

by Anonymousreply 31April 7, 2021 2:10 AM

Here’s he deal. All of these songs sound better on an AM car radio of similar vintage, preferably a Delco in a GM. Perhaps with a bit of static from a storm that’s making its way nearer

by Anonymousreply 32April 7, 2021 2:11 AM

Sorry, everything that came after their debut, not their solo record.

by Anonymousreply 33April 7, 2021 2:12 AM

I grew up listening to all this stuff. My mom loved the ‘70s adult contemporary/yacht rock music.

Here are a couple more to add to the list. England Dan and John Ford Coley and Little River Band.

by Anonymousreply 34April 7, 2021 2:12 AM

R31 Unfortunately, the Carpenters must have been too corny for my parents (somehow), there isn't a single album by them in their collection. They had to draw the line somewhere. No Kansas, either!

by Anonymousreply 35April 7, 2021 2:12 AM

Doobie Brothers Livin On The Fault Line album is their best imo.

by Anonymousreply 36April 7, 2021 2:13 AM

Lead singer of Kansas Steve Walsh was another reason to love the. He was always showing off his body and huge bulge. Loved him! Thanks for the reminder, r29!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 7, 2021 2:14 AM

R34... forgot about them, england dan and john ford coley.. love them too...

also love the stylistics!....

by Anonymousreply 38April 7, 2021 2:14 AM

Hated the Carpenters.

I LOVE Little River Band. Poco and England Dan & John Ford Colley were pretty great as well. I'll add one: Atlanta Rhythm Section. Their version of "Spooky" was great.

by Anonymousreply 39April 7, 2021 2:15 AM

Steve! So handsome!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 7, 2021 2:15 AM

A real town in TX, not China.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 7, 2021 2:17 AM

If they purchased any Todd Rundgren albums, those are essential listens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 7, 2021 2:18 AM

I always thought all of Bread's songs sounded the same. i will lump in the Doobie Bros as sounded the same as well, but i think it's because their lead singers had pretty distinctive voices. I wouldn't put either of them at the top of my 70's chart.

by Anonymousreply 43April 7, 2021 2:18 AM

“Carry On, Wayward Son” is great. OP, just look it up online if you don’t have the record there. Sick riffs, interesting time signature, great transition to the killer chorus.

by Anonymousreply 44April 7, 2021 2:18 AM

What.... No Air Supply?

by Anonymousreply 45April 7, 2021 2:19 AM

I feel like once you’re into “China Grove,” you might as well go Foghat.

by Anonymousreply 46April 7, 2021 2:20 AM

Eagles "Take It To The Limit" is a great song and probably would sound better sung by someone with a more soulful voice.

"Desparado", also an Eagles song, is better with Linda Ronstadt singing it, it's a solid tune and a song by one of the band members done solo, Don Henley, "Heart Of The Matter" is a true gem of American popular songwriting.

by Anonymousreply 47April 7, 2021 2:20 AM

America, rather than being a "poor man's Eagles", as a poster above suggested, were probably more like a poor man's Neil Young, at least in the beginning...except they were better singers. They weren't all countrified like the early Eagles, and they didn't have that rock edge that the later Eagles had. They had a decent string of hits that were pleasant to listen to.

The Doobie Brothers were sort of a good-time boogie bar band. Songs to play while you're on a road trip type of stuff. Great, catchy tunes. Their sound changed dramatically when they added Michael McDonald to the lineup and became the personification of what is now known as "yacht rock".

Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show began as pretty much a novelty band, singing a lot of songs by Shel Silverstein. Then they dropped the "and the Medicine Show" and just became Dr. Hook, specializing in fairly bland, soft pop-rock. I only like them for the nostalgia factor.

Flying Burrito Brothers were among the bands that pioneered the "country rock" genre. They were an offshoot of the Byrds, I think. They were critical darlings who never had a hit song. "Hot Burrito #1" is a pretty tune.

Loggins and Messina are my personal favorites of this list. They didn't have a ton of hits, only 3 or 4 really, but they had a ton of great album cuts, like "Watching the River Run", "Vahevala", "Peace of Mind", "Angry Eyes", "Holiday Hotel", etc. etc. They were musically probably the most versatile band on the list. Don't be put off by what Kenny Loggins eventually became in the 80's...this is when he was really good.

Bread is pure soft rock schmaltz...but they are very good at it. It just gets to be a bit saccharine after listening to more than two or three of their songs. Some of their songs are probably considered classic love songs, so good for them.

Seals and Croft usually managed to come up with a great tune every year or two. They were devout members of the Baha'i faith, so they were super serious and a bit pretentious, which probably kept them from becoming bigger stars.

by Anonymousreply 48April 7, 2021 2:21 AM

Eagles’ “Take It To The Limit” takes it to the limit and waaaay beyond with an outro that never fuckin ends.

by Anonymousreply 49April 7, 2021 2:21 AM

Also, as mentioned upthread, Steely Dan was/is a completely different kind of sound and i still love it. Interesting, intellectual lyrics as well.

by Anonymousreply 50April 7, 2021 2:22 AM

My all time fav Atlanta Rhythm Section song. RIP leader singer, Ronnie Hammond. He had one of the purest most beautiful voices in rock music. Just a beautiful singer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 7, 2021 2:22 AM

“Sylvia’s Mother” by Dr. Hook & TMS is a tearjerker. Written by Silverstein. Devastating!

by Anonymousreply 52April 7, 2021 2:22 AM

R45 Just ONE album, thankfully.

I think what I find funny about my parents' record collection (to be fair, it's mostly my dad's), is that while he bought all those records when he was in his 20s... he certainly didn't KEEP listening to this 1970s soft rock. That's what kind of cracks me up about their record collection, they certainly didn't play any of this music while I was growing up!! Like most people he probably "regressed" to music he liked as a TEENAGER as he got older, which has aged better (and definitely still holds more cultural cachet): Cream, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, and The Doors. Only 70s artists definitely stuck around for my father were really Jackson Browne and Eagles.

It just makes me laugh that there were so many albums by the groups in the poll, but they were RARELY listened to after the 1970s!!

by Anonymousreply 53April 7, 2021 2:27 AM

Bread had some decent songs. The hits were mostly written by David Gates, but band mate Jimmy Griffin's songs were just as good if not better, and he had a more soulful voice. His songs were usually the b-side or album cuts. His solo albums are worth seeking out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 7, 2021 2:27 AM

r52 I used to hear that song on the radio when I was a kid and feel so heartbroken and didn't really understand why, but I was clearly living that song with the man singing it.

by Anonymousreply 55April 7, 2021 2:27 AM

America: Schmaltzy sub-Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Bread: Closer to the Carpenters than to real rock, can't really be compared to America

The Doobie Brothers: Fratboy Rock

Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show: Novelty act

The Flying Burrito Brothers: Related to the Byrds/Buffalo Springfield ecosystem of musicians, never had more than cult status

Loggins & Messina: Messina was a session guy---ex-Buffalo Springfield. They did listenable pop and then Loggins went to Nashville and did commercials from a crappy local hospital

Seals & Crofts: Had been around a long time, originally partnered with Glen Campbell in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 56April 7, 2021 2:28 AM

r48 Loggins & Messina have a place in my heart because the song Back to Pooh Corner put my kids to sleep almost every night when i sang it to them, so we have a 31 and 26 old running around who know that song by heart and love it. Also loved their version of Danny's Song.

by Anonymousreply 57April 7, 2021 2:28 AM

The Flying Burrito Brothers were great. I love Gram Parsons. He hated Roger McGuinn's version of You Don't Miss Your Water so much he left The Byrds, I believe. Sweetheart of the Rodeo is where that all started.

by Anonymousreply 58April 7, 2021 2:30 AM

Steely Dan was always very different in appeal from these bands. they were closer to jazz than to folk and part of the Zappa/Mothers ecosystem of music which was very eclectic, but owed a lot to jazz

by Anonymousreply 59April 7, 2021 2:33 AM

I had a lady teacher that used to play the Bread greatest hits album when we had individual study period in school.

You'd think just being in school was torture enough.

by Anonymousreply 60April 7, 2021 2:34 AM

r59 i think that's why i love them so much. very different sound, very progressive.

however, i have been looking at this thread as more about 70's music in general than a particular genre and just been posting about bands from the 70's generally.

by Anonymousreply 61April 7, 2021 2:35 AM

Michael McDonald, the man responsible for changing the sound of the Doobie Bros, was connected to Steely Dan. You can hear him contributing vocals on the Aja album particularly on the song "I Got The News". I love that album btw, that was one magical summer in high school the year that came out.

by Anonymousreply 62April 7, 2021 2:39 AM

70s music, in general, was horrible, although there were bright spots here and there. For every Jackson Browne, you had the Eagles who just awful despite being part of the same social network as Browne. Some of the more cultish folkies like Wendy Waldman were better and at least Laura Nyro was interesting, but the popular stuff just kept getting worse. This was music that either helped kill AM Top 40 or benefited from the conversion of FM from experimental formats to AOR, as well as the gradual deterioration of bands as different as Chicago, Jefferson Airplane/Starship and Led Zepplin.

by Anonymousreply 63April 7, 2021 2:40 AM

England Dan and John Ford Coley were just as commercially trite as Seals and Crofts. Weren’t two of them related or something?

And BTW, *I* am R18 and I don’t know why R 24 is pretending to be me.

by Anonymousreply 64April 7, 2021 2:41 AM

You won't want to give it too much thought, but your dad purchased a lot of those albums because they were ones that his dates would have really enjoyed and be into

by Anonymousreply 65April 7, 2021 2:41 AM

I wish Loggins & Messina would reunite and tour again. I missed all of this. Here's an entire show at the fucking gorgeous SBB! Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 7, 2021 2:45 AM

r63 got to agree to disagree. i think the 70s had a lot of good music, as evidenced in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 67April 7, 2021 2:47 AM

Can’t Buy a Thrill is a great album.

I have to admit I love America.

by Anonymousreply 68April 7, 2021 2:59 AM

The Doobies were like two separate bands. I loved their early stuff like China Grove and Long Train Runnin'. Their remake of Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me) is my all-time favorite cover. Once Michael McDonald came along, they had even greater success, but I hated that sound.

Bread gets knocked a lot, but they had a very polished sound. Make It With You, If, and Baby I'm A Want You are their biggest hits, but It Don't Matter To Me is my favorite. I used to dismiss their hit Everything I Own as just another silly love song, until I heard that David Gates wrote it about his father upon his death. Brings a whole new side to the lyrics.

Seals and Crofts started off in The Champs (Tequila!). Diamond Girl and Summer Breeze are their biggest hits, but I just love the more modest hit Hummingbird (especially the ending). Their career took a hit when , at the height of their popularity, they released the single (and album) Unborn Child, a very pro-life record. Gotta admire them for taking such a risk.

by Anonymousreply 69April 7, 2021 3:26 AM

[quote]England Dan and John Ford Coley were just as commercially trite as Seals and Crofts. Weren’t two of them related or something?

Yes, Dan and Jim Seals were brothers.

by Anonymousreply 70April 7, 2021 3:41 AM

The stuff your Dad listened to as a teenager was absolutely solid and listened to today got a reason. It was music that breathed and challenged the norm and is as alive today as then.

The soft stuff you describe is all dreck. Mainstream, derivative, and written for mass appeal.

Music that examines the status quo through heart and soul is what you want. Joni, Janis, Marvin, Carole and JT were innovators, look for people like them.

by Anonymousreply 71April 7, 2021 4:01 AM

No love for this fuckable cheeseball?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 7, 2021 4:08 AM

[quote]they were closer to jazz than to folk and part of the Zappa/Mothers ecosystem of music which was very eclectic, but owed a lot to jazz

But the Steely Dan guys also got their start writing pop songs in the Brill Building.

by Anonymousreply 73April 7, 2021 4:10 AM

I like Frampton and will on occasion (after a few glasses of wine) open youtube and pull up some of his live performances. i thought he was a great live performer (don't know how he is anymore), very comfortable in his skin, and he and Bob Mayo were such a great team. Really sorry that Mayo died at a fairly early age; they seemed to be kind of like soul mates of a sort.

by Anonymousreply 74April 7, 2021 4:13 AM

OP, you forgot to include Boris Grebenshikov: ‘The Bob Dylan of Russia’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 7, 2021 4:34 AM

R75 Believe it or not, I’m not a Russian troll.

by Anonymousreply 76April 7, 2021 4:36 AM

[quote]What.... No Air Supply?

No, because they didn't hit outside of Australia until 1980.

by Anonymousreply 77April 7, 2021 4:38 AM

Holy crap, r77 - i feel like a fool, i had NO idea Air Supply was an Australian band.

by Anonymousreply 78April 7, 2021 4:44 AM

70s AM light is the most depressing music on the planet. And this coming from a 90s emo kid.

by Anonymousreply 79April 7, 2021 5:03 AM

Jackson Browne is not a group, but he fits right in with OP's list, and he's better than all of them.

by Anonymousreply 80April 7, 2021 5:06 AM

Summer Breeze reminds me of 5th grade and sun and boy crushes. Great memories for me.

I love driving and Used to play Ventura Highway while cruising around during the summer.

I love the song Donkey Jizz as well.

by Anonymousreply 81April 7, 2021 5:13 AM

^Jaw

by Anonymousreply 82April 7, 2021 5:13 AM

Ha! R81/r82

by Anonymousreply 83April 7, 2021 5:17 AM

This is why disco was inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 84April 7, 2021 5:18 AM

r79, what the hell is "70's am light?" This music was on FM, you moob.

by Anonymousreply 85April 7, 2021 5:19 AM

Another vote for Loggins and Messina, especially Golden Ribbons and Lady of My Heart

Add to List:

Quintessential 70s hippy, dippy singer Jesse Colin Young

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 7, 2021 5:30 AM

Who cares R85. Both sounded equally shitty back then anyway.

by Anonymousreply 87April 7, 2021 5:31 AM

r85 , what were your "enlightened" choices back then.

Also AM quality radio was typically shitty music with a lesser quality of sound, therefore cheaper bandwith and sounded shitty. FM=popular, money-making albums and films. get it straight.

by Anonymousreply 88April 7, 2021 5:48 AM

[quote] Yep, they DO have Three Dog Night in their collection and enough albums that I should have put them in the poll: Golden Bisquits, Harmony, and Seven Separate Fools.

Three Dog Night Harmony is an awesome album.

They cover Hoyt Axton, Paul Williams, and Stevie Wonder

by Anonymousreply 89April 7, 2021 5:58 AM

I love Dan Fogelberg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 7, 2021 6:31 AM

I liked 'light rock' as a teen in the '70s at the same time as hard rock, funk, and classical. We were a musical family; singing along anywhere was never discouraged.

I found America's "Horse With No Name" to be kind of spooky, until at 15, an older pal, who resembled the band's singer Dewey, got me high and we made out. It's been my favorite song ever since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91April 7, 2021 6:53 AM

... but then they went on to make this shit:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 7, 2021 6:54 AM

R88, No way, I hardly have enlightened tastes. Only stating a fact - okay, okay it’s my obnoxious opinion - that Easy Listening 70s is the most depressing music on the planet. There’s nothing wrong with the songs themselves. But play one of these bands, and I feel physical revulsion, my stomach curdles, I want to crawl into a hole and die. If I were a filmmaker and wanted to make a bleak arthouse film that left the audience feeling nothing but a niggling void, a mild existential discomfort, I would fill it with this music and stark empty spaces and no dialogue. And cigarettes. Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 93April 7, 2021 6:59 AM

I like Bread and America. No thanks to The Dooley Brother, Steely Dan and The Eagles.

by Anonymousreply 94April 7, 2021 7:00 AM

If there's nothing to do in the desert, he had plenty of time to name his horse.

by Anonymousreply 95April 7, 2021 7:21 AM

Supertramp wasn't on the list, but should have been. They're another one with interesting lyrics. I went through a phase a few years of listening to their best of collection on repeat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96April 7, 2021 7:55 AM

and this of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 7, 2021 8:00 AM

Dan Fogelberg’s Nether Lands would never see the light of day at this point in time.

I love take The Long Way Home.

by Anonymousreply 98April 7, 2021 8:20 AM

I liked the 70s and still enjoy listening to that kind of music. 100 times better than what's going on these days.

by Anonymousreply 99April 7, 2021 9:51 AM

how quickly the ear adjusts back to autotuneless singing.

by Anonymousreply 100April 7, 2021 10:59 AM

Of 1970s pop/rock music, can't stand just about all on that list. Really like Joni Mitchell's 70s albums and Fleetwood Mac pre-Buckingham/Nicks. Also the Stones' early 70s and late 70s output was great.

by Anonymousreply 101April 7, 2021 11:40 AM

Very little of the music mentioned here challenged anything and it doesn't wear well. Most of it also charted on AM. Thankfully, FM was standard equipment on cars bey the end of the decade.

by Anonymousreply 102April 7, 2021 11:40 AM

LOVE “Get Closer”, R11!

by Anonymousreply 103April 7, 2021 11:51 AM

You won’t find many posters on Datalounge with solid taste in music, but I can agree with the guy who said that Flying Burrito Brothers is the only good band in the list.

by Anonymousreply 104April 7, 2021 11:58 AM

Here’s something funny a friend showed me recently though: a teenaged GG Allin playing this kind of crap in 77

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 7, 2021 12:09 PM

After listening for years to this schmaltzy, overwought crap, it was a delight when someone like Debbie Harry showed up sing songs like "Rip Her To Shreds".

by Anonymousreply 106April 7, 2021 12:10 PM

I love the doobie brothers

by Anonymousreply 107April 7, 2021 12:11 PM

Agreed, R37 and R40 — Steve Walsh was so hot in his heyday!

by Anonymousreply 108April 7, 2021 12:12 PM

R92 Oh boy, that song is dreck!!!! Thank goodness that particular record is nowhere to be found in the collection!

R89 I'll give Harmony a listen once I've cleaned it.

R11 I'll admit that I've listened to "Get Closer" several times on Spotify today, it's not half bad!!

What made me curious about these soft rock artists was inventorying/cleaning my dad's record collection. I've been cleaning all of the "good" records and listening to them, so I was wondering if any of the other artists listed in the poll would be worth listening to eventually. In this crazy pandemic world, I've found cleaning records with a Spin Clean to be oddly relaxing.

And no need to worry about the quality of my turntable up and running (with a new needle). I've got their old Dual turntable up and going, too. So I'm getting the full 1970s vibe from them. Naturally, they also had Sansui floor speakers, but I bought a new set of speakers when I purchased a new amplifier. I'm becoming one of THOSE Millennials who is into "vinyl" now, I guess. 😒

I should post the entire collection here for you all to judge. My father owned two Diana Ross albums, for some reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109April 7, 2021 9:30 PM

r29 belongs on the "Worst Song of All Time" thread.

by Anonymousreply 110April 7, 2021 9:56 PM

R106 - yes, I agree. When I stumbled onto college radio and new wave (before it went mainstream) it was exhilarating. Today I'm neutral about a lot of these bands and hearing the songs bring about an "aww" moment of nostalgia, but nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 111April 7, 2021 10:06 PM

R96, Supertramp should not even be mentioned alongside the likes of America, Bread, and other shit music of the 70s. Supertramp was a phenomenal band who created timeless music.

by Anonymousreply 112April 7, 2021 10:10 PM

How could you leave off the Monkees? Davy Jones is so dreamy!

by Anonymousreply 113April 7, 2021 10:13 PM

This thread needs this song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114April 7, 2021 10:13 PM

Supertamp were phenomenal, but have somehow been overlooked. They shouldn't be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115April 7, 2021 10:39 PM

As much as I hated these groups, I have to admit that most of them knew how to sing.

by Anonymousreply 116April 7, 2021 10:43 PM

These were all a little before my time but they’re nostalgic for me from hearing them as a young kid. We all have our favorite underground cool kids bands, critical darlings and music snob preferences of course, but a lot of these tunes are the definition of easy listening and are well-crafted for what they are.

by Anonymousreply 117April 7, 2021 10:58 PM

A lot of this music was popular as it helped soothe people during traumatic times. Sucks that we're going through difficult times again, but at least we still have this music to help get us through

by Anonymousreply 118April 7, 2021 11:15 PM

R118 That's an interesting way to interpret the soft rock from the 1970s, soothing the soul of a traumatized nation. I really like that thought!

by Anonymousreply 119April 7, 2021 11:18 PM

We were all funkin out to The Doobies in Watts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120April 7, 2021 11:24 PM

I’ve been listening to this music the past year for that very reason. They are songs of my childhood, and they are calming.

by Anonymousreply 121April 7, 2021 11:25 PM

There were a lot of people who had either been through war, or war adjacent in that era.

The grande dam is probably Pink Floyd's The Wall. Although you have to listen to that with headphones or exceptional speakers, or you haven't heard it.

There is an unmistakable sound and eeriness in that era of music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122April 7, 2021 11:26 PM

R122 I don't want to de-rail the thread, but I have honestly NEVER looked at 1970s music through the lens of people who survived war, growing up with fathers who went through war, economic recessions, etc. It's very obvious to look at the protest songs of the 1960s and realize "duh" that was influenced by the war, but I never considered the after effects and *processing* of those experiences being worked out in the music that followed.

I feel like this would be a good thesis!

by Anonymousreply 123April 7, 2021 11:32 PM

Three Dog Night's 'Out in the Country' is something I rarely come across anymore, but it always makes me weep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124April 7, 2021 11:35 PM

Thanks r124 that’s a great song. Why does it make you cry?

by Anonymousreply 125April 7, 2021 11:39 PM

The Isley Brothers "Summer Breeze" is the best version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126April 8, 2021 12:03 AM

[quote]I'd be shocked if there weren't any Three Dog Night albums in the collection. They were one of the most popular groups at that time.

Now there was a band that was absolute shit. They were like the Creed of the early 70s.

by Anonymousreply 127April 8, 2021 12:04 AM

The Carpenters were derided and got a lot of shit in their time, but they were exquisite talents. Karen Carpenter was one of the greatest female singers of the 20th Century. It was my generation (Gen X) who really appreciated them, as opposed to Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 128April 8, 2021 12:12 AM

I still remember when they announced her death on the radio. My young gay heart was crushed. I loved them and still do. Karen had an incredible vocal range.

by Anonymousreply 129April 8, 2021 12:17 AM

This song shows off her vocal range. Beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130April 8, 2021 12:18 AM

I'm not from that era at all but some of the music is nice to me. It's pro tool free and that's downright refreshing. Nothing synthesized on OP's list thankfully.

Seals and Croft had really nice harmonies. Very delicate.

Kenny Loggins can sing really well. Corny thing he is.

The Doobie Brothers are a very well rounded band. Fine instrumentalists to be had there. Michael Mc Donald just so happens to sound soulful when he sings, he replaced someone else, right? I wouldn't know. But, that band with out without Michael Mc Donald is good!

I know nothing of the other bands OP listed. Nothing. No opinions to be had. I might check out some of them on YouTube or might not.

The Carpenters were of that era and they were really good. Karen Carpenter had an alto for the ages and she played the drums quite well. I first heard them on some retro hour on the radio as a child and just positively had to learn more. My parents liked that since they had a rep as being wholesome. Karen Carpenter could have done jazz marvelously.

I like this thread and thanks for indulging me with this rather stream of consciousness post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131April 8, 2021 12:19 AM

I was fascinated to read in Karen Carpenter’s biography that she had a teeny-tiny voice that, unamplified, couldn’t be heard across a room.

by Anonymousreply 132April 8, 2021 12:20 AM

All those groups mentioned had hits except for the Flying Burrito Brothers. I'd say listen to their hits, not their albums. As for the Flying Burrito Brothers, well, some of their their albums got good reviews but all failed commercially. I've never heard any of their albums so I don't know how good they really were.

by Anonymousreply 133April 8, 2021 12:24 AM

"I was fascinated to read in Karen Carpenter’s biography that she had a teeny-tiny voice that, unamplified, couldn’t be heard across a room."

Anybody listening to her records would know she had a "teeny-tiny" voice. She had no volume at all. Her singing never bowled me over. She had a DISTINCTIVE voice, not a very good one. Her vocal range was so limited. Her mournful singing style suited ballads but she sounded ridiculous singing up tempo numbers. Even when she was singing about being happy ("Top of the World") she sounded like she wanted to slit her wrists.

by Anonymousreply 134April 8, 2021 12:29 AM

I'm a child of the 60s and 70s. I remember all of these. Do "Earth, Wind & Fire", "Hall & Oates" or ""KC and the Sunshine Band" belong on this list?

by Anonymousreply 135April 8, 2021 12:39 AM

Was KC & the Sunshine Band proto-disco or were they just considered disco? They predated it, right? The lead guy was a HUNK. Woof.

by Anonymousreply 136April 8, 2021 12:45 AM

R135 For reference, none of those artists are in my parents' record collection. Therefore I didn't include them in the initial poll.

I do enjoy the thread discussing peoples love of 1970s music, so keep the conversation going!

by Anonymousreply 137April 8, 2021 12:47 AM

Speaking of Bread, Dusty Springfield's cover of Make It With You is sublime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138April 8, 2021 12:48 AM

R137 Forgot to sign off as OP, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 139April 8, 2021 12:48 AM

WRONG R1-The LATE 1970's is when music and fashion became bleak

E.G.- Disco , New Wave, Punk.

by Anonymousreply 140April 8, 2021 12:51 AM

Disco and punk and new wave were all pretty awful. Devo was doing amazing stuff, but their cool shit from the 70s didn’t get released until 1990, I think, on the album Hardcore. Music they recorded on tape machines in their basements in Ohio. That was cool New Wave. The popular punk of that time has always been obnoxious to me, and not in a cool way. Pop chord progressions played fast, with snotty vocals. Blah. Turn it down a notch, for god’s sake. The Jam and the Buzzcocks were good, however.

When I think of New Wave and disco, I see them as unfortunate precursors to the plastic, neon/pastel 80s. Synths and drum machines and that godawful reverb on the snare.

The 60s were so great, and the styles ran the gamut because pop/rock progressed so quickly, from 50s pop and doo-wop to the early Beatles, the Byrds, Rolling Stones, Mamas+Papas, Jefferson Airplane, Neil Young, Hendrix—my god. All in one decade. In the 70s you had the continuation of that stuff, plus Sabbath, plus the “AM Gold” stuff derided or celebrated in this thread.

But by the late 70s, way too much bloated production techniques, which gave rise to punk as a reaction to shit like Fleetwood Mac. If I had to choose between listening to Top 40 from 1982 or Top 40 from 1972, I’ll go with ‘72 every fucking time.

by Anonymousreply 141April 8, 2021 12:59 AM

I love the yacht rock music of the 70s as well as the singer-songwriter stuff like James Taylor, but I also love a lot of disco, too. The good disco like Donna Summer and Chic, not the Disco Duck/Village People garbage.

This era was before my time, but I think people who weren't around in a particular era don't have all the prejudices and baggage of people who were, so they can listen to different genres objectively, and find things they like in each genre.

by Anonymousreply 142April 8, 2021 1:07 AM

I have to say I can't stand punk. I tried and just couldn't get into it at all.

by Anonymousreply 143April 8, 2021 1:08 AM

In my Upper Middle Class suburban town ( north of NYC)in the late 1970's , Disco music was associated with lower middle class Italian types from Brooklyn and Queens.

It was considered TACKY and LOW CLASS.

by Anonymousreply 144April 8, 2021 1:08 AM

Disco was also seen as elitist, r144. Studio 54 and all of that. It was music that the jet set high-society types played everywhere they went.

by Anonymousreply 145April 8, 2021 1:11 AM

The BEST music/fashion was 1965/66. Just before all that DRUG/PSYCHEDELIC drenched hippy stuff of the late 1960's but still COOL.

I was in high school in the 1980's and HATED contemporary music/fashion. I loved the Beatles and the Byrds. When I first bought The Best Of The Byrds I played the album OVER and OVER, especially Mr. Tambourine Man.

by Anonymousreply 146April 8, 2021 1:18 AM

[quote]It was considered TACKY and LOW CLASS.

Unlike all you and all your neighbors in Scarsdale.

by Anonymousreply 147April 8, 2021 1:24 AM

R147- Rye ,actually

Close though

by Anonymousreply 148April 8, 2021 1:27 AM

1970, sort of setting a stage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149April 8, 2021 1:32 AM

R13, - '"Horse With No Name" is about HEROIN ~ this has been well known for 45 years.

R41- "China Grove" is the penultimate road trip song.

R2 - I want to marry you and spend out days listening to the extended version o "Aja" and trying to figure out hidden meanings in obscure storylines and lyrics. And what does The Custerdome look like?

by Anonymousreply 150April 8, 2021 1:41 AM

The overanalysis of song lyrics was one of the more annoying things about the 70s.

The Carpenters were awful--Karen had a pleasant voice but their material and arrangements were crap.

The Flying Burrito Brothers, like many cult bands were a mixed bag, but better than the other ones on the list. Steely Dan also, was much better than anything on the list.

by Anonymousreply 151April 8, 2021 1:54 AM

Summer Breeze is overwhelmingly nostalgic to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152April 8, 2021 1:56 AM

[quote] '"Horse With No Name" is about HEROIN ~ this has been well known for 45 years.

Wrong asshole, R150. America was always known as a 'clean' band; no parties, no drugs except pot and beer. Dewey Bunnell has repeatedly stated this for 45 years, and he was never a junkie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153April 8, 2021 5:38 AM

Don’t forget Orleans

by Anonymousreply 154April 8, 2021 5:55 AM

I used to watch the entire Time Life soft rock infomercial when it used to air. It calmed me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155April 8, 2021 6:19 AM

I liked America's songs for "The Last Unicorn," which is an underrated film overall. "Walking Man's Road" still holds up.

by Anonymousreply 156April 8, 2021 6:38 AM

Doobie Brothers of course!

by Anonymousreply 157April 8, 2021 6:59 AM

I think James Taylor has been under represented. His songs were straight from the heart and wonderful to listen to. He is the one musician i haven't seen in person that i wish that i would. such a beautiful voice, and writing songs about his life. <3

by Anonymousreply 158April 8, 2021 7:46 AM

I'm a big Flying Burrito Brothers fan, but the Doobie Brothers were a significant band in the 1970s. There was a recent cover of their song Listen To The Music by Tom Johnston various artists around the world which shows that some of their best songs are still relevant today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159April 8, 2021 10:53 AM

I love this lesser-known but lovely Seals and Croft tune:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160April 8, 2021 10:55 AM

A favorite tune of America not yet mentioned:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161April 8, 2021 10:57 AM

Another lesser-played America song:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162April 8, 2021 10:58 AM

Thanks, OP. I hadn't listened to this album in a long time:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163April 8, 2021 11:04 AM

Am I the only person who finds value in all kinds of music, from easy listening to disco to new wave to hard rock? Why limit yourself? There is no glory in being a music snob. I might think the Carpenters were cheesy, but I still feel nostalgic when I hear their songs.

by Anonymousreply 164April 8, 2021 11:28 AM

I feel the same way, r164. I like (almost) all forms of music. (I've never been able to get into screamo or some other heavy metal, though, I'll admit.)

Many years ago, when I still had a FB acct, I posted Barry White's "Love's Theme" (linked for reference ....). Well, some elitist queen commented, "Barry White? Really?"

Yes. I like what I like. What's it to you??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165April 8, 2021 11:34 AM

I’m a child of this era as well—America was my first concert, followed by Seals and Crofts. I still listen to Supertramp, Steely Dan, and Todd Rundgren, but, as others have pointed out, they’re in a different musical universe than the bands mentioned by OP.

by Anonymousreply 166April 8, 2021 11:49 AM

“Jimmy Messina! How she blowin’?”

“FUCK you, Loggins!”

“Come on, everybody. Everything’s...smewth.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167April 8, 2021 12:40 PM

No OP- because if you do you will turn to stone!

by Anonymousreply 168April 8, 2021 12:56 PM

America, Bread, Doobie Brothers, Seals & Crofts. Say what you want about 70s music being cheesy and all but their compositions are quintessential examples of beautifully written pop songs with skillfully played and simply arranged instrumentation. They're not rock and I'm fine with that. I think they'll last longer than trash put out by Beyoncé, Justin Timberlake, the Weeknd, Foo Fighters, among others.

by Anonymousreply 169April 8, 2021 1:16 PM

[quote]Thanks R124 that’s a great song. Why does it make you cry?

R125, I'm not sure I can explain. I'm wired a little different in that I don't tend to cry over extreme pain or grief, but over joy. If something is overwhelmingly awesome, it just wrings tears out of me (i.e. Evelyn catching Ninny leaving a jar of honey at the cemetery at the end of 𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐝 𝐆𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐓𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐞𝐬 (1991) and realizing who she really was; the lightsaber battle between Darths Maul and Sidious in 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐬, S05E16; the Halls of Khazad-dûm in 𝐋𝐨𝐭𝐑: 𝐅𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐩 (2001)). Those are the kinds of things I cry over.

In the case of 'Out in the Country,' it's the memories that it evokes in me; where I was and how I felt about life in 1970; how much songs like it shaped who I grew into (liberal as all hell), and how much I still feel its message. And as I said, I don't come across the song very often anymore; it's like the voice of an old friend.

by Anonymousreply 170April 8, 2021 3:16 PM

Wow, I wouldn’t have had you pegged for a Clone Wars fan, Dragon!

That Maul/Oppress/Sidious fight scene scene is awfully painful to watch, and for that it’s shocking it was left in the final cut of what is essentially (but not exclusively) a kids’ animated show. “I’m not like you, I never was...”, “you have been replaced....” “there can only be Two.”...brrrr. Maul is such a fantastic and likeable character in TCW, which is a shame as far fewer people have seen that side of him as compared with his silent minimal role in Phantom Menace.

It’s also a chilling moment to see Sidious at the apex of his power and control, feeling completely invulnerable throwing two Nightbrothers around like ragdolls and shutting down their syndicate easy as swatting flies. The fact that he doesn’t even bother his ass killing Maul—his deadly and feral apprentice, one he entrusted with knowledge and skill of a seasoned assassin and terr0rist— is chilling, and shows how confident he is in both himself and Anakin as far as destructive Darkside power goes. That this old withered Nazi can just do all that almost singlehandedly is sobering...

As for my TCW bias, I’m a Dooku bitch. The man is so eloquent, collected and highly skilled that he puts everyone else in the universe to shame. He is the one character truly trying to put an end to both the Jedi & the Sith, seeing how much atrocious destruction their ideological war creates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171April 8, 2021 4:04 PM

Did anyone mention Lobo? The lead singer for them pretty much sounds like David Gates.

10CC is another. Should Emerson, Lake and Potter/Powell be on this list? I would think so, but Karn Evil 9 kinda disqualifies them, but Lucky Man is definitely schmaltzy ‘70s.

by Anonymousreply 172April 8, 2021 4:43 PM

I totally forgot about "House at Pooh Corner." I'd be secretly devastated if Kenny Loggins turned out to be a giant asshole. He seems like such a "gentle soul" (MARY!!!).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173April 8, 2021 7:31 PM

This live performance of Danny’s Song is really beautiful. I ripped the audio of it and have it on a playlist of 70s favorites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174April 8, 2021 7:38 PM

This is probably the most unusual song the Doobie Brothers ever did. It's like half folk, half prog, and sounds like nothing else in their catalog. It's from the last album they did before the Michael McDonald era began.

It got tons of FM airplay, but when they finally got around to releasing it as a single, it bombed. Still one of my all-time favorites by them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175April 8, 2021 7:49 PM

R175 is OUT of the DOOBIES!

by Anonymousreply 176April 8, 2021 8:16 PM

Anyone here into the ‘Daryl’s House’ webseries? It ran all through the 2010s, and has some great collaborative performances of classic yacht rock, some covers and some by the original musicians. Daryl set up such a cool space and platform for talented people to come and jam.

The rendition of ‘This Is It’ he and his house band did with Loggins is remarkable. Amazing that these are men in their 70s; they look and sound so great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177April 8, 2021 8:27 PM

Fantastic cover of Player’s “Baby Come Back”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178April 8, 2021 9:19 PM

Here it is

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179April 8, 2021 9:20 PM

Love the Daryl's House collabs. This one is a little faster and funkier than the original and I like it better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180April 8, 2021 9:20 PM

I think the term "yacht rock" is derogatory and unnecessary. That was some great music made by some very talented people.

by Anonymousreply 181April 8, 2021 10:11 PM

r181 it is meant to be derogatory, but i really don't give a shit what people think about my musical tastes. if many of the songs/bands i like fall into that category, so be it. i also like some disco, some hard rock, some pop rock, some jazz, some classical, some rap, some folk. My tastes are all over the map.

by Anonymousreply 182April 9, 2021 12:55 AM

The Doobies had one style all the way from "Listen To The Music" through "China Grove" and another when Michael McDonald took over. But sandwiched between those two styles was "Black Water", which doesn't sound like either. Very unique, and it hit number 1 to boot.

by Anonymousreply 183April 9, 2021 1:55 AM

I found this cover of "Get Closer" by Seals & Crofts 2, I have no idea how these people are related to Seals & Crofts but I am enjoying this cover!

Damn, I really love "Get Closer"!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184April 9, 2021 2:05 AM

R183 That makes me realize it might've been helpful to list the albums by the Doobie Brothers they owned -- "Stampede," "Takin' It to the Streets," "The Captain and Me," Toluse Street," and "What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits." According to Wikipedia there's just one Michael McDonald-led record in there.

by Anonymousreply 185April 9, 2021 2:13 AM

Hall and Oates hold up. He could sing.

by Anonymousreply 186April 9, 2021 2:23 AM

Hall and Oates had some great songs.

One thing that's odd about them is that they had hit after hit in the first half of the 80s and then they just seemed to disappear in the second half of the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 187April 9, 2021 2:27 AM

Someone on this thread criticized "Sister Golden Hair" by America. It's a GREAT song - mournful, haunting and wanting in it. It's my all time fav song by America and their second song that went to #1 - people, including me, loved it! Still love it!

by Anonymousreply 188April 9, 2021 2:46 AM

Jefferson Starship (evolved from Jefferson Airplane) had some good output in the 1970's "Miracles" is a great song and one of their biggest hits. Although they had even more output and bigger hits as Starship in the 1980's. Loved Grace Slick's great lead singing on "Nothing's Going To Stop Us Now."

by Anonymousreply 189April 9, 2021 2:53 AM

"Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" is a fucking great song, I don't care what anybody else says. Classic 80s pop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190April 9, 2021 2:58 AM

Finally, r63 mentioned Chicago.

To my older child/early teen ears, the sound of the rythymic horns made me happy, while, at the same time, the lyrics made me kinda sad.

"Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191April 9, 2021 2:59 AM

Chicago's 70s stuff is fabulous, it still sounds fantastic. Their David Foster-produced 80s stuff is absolute shit.

by Anonymousreply 192April 9, 2021 3:01 AM

the first 2 Chicago albums were great--then it was generally downhill from there.

by Anonymousreply 193April 9, 2021 3:03 AM

R184 the guy in that "Seals and Crofts 2" video is Brady Seals.

There are actually 5 members of that same family who hit it big in the music business:

Jim Seals, of Seals & Crofts.

His brother Dan Seals, of England Dan and John Ford Coley (and later a successful country star on his own)

Their cousin Troy Seals, one of the most successful country songwriters of the 80's, who wrote big hits for The Judds, Reba McIntyre, Loretta Lynn & Conway Twitty, George Jones, Ray Charles, etc. etc.

Their cousin Johnny Duncan, a big country star in the mid 70's (he had 10 top ten country hits), around the same time as Seals & Crofts were hitting it big on the pop charts.

Their cousin Brady Seals (the guy in the video), who led a country band called Little Texas that was a big for a few years in the mid 90's. He's now an obnoxious Christian fundie.

The female in the video is the daughter of Dash Crofts, of the original Seals & Crofts. So it's Seals' cousin and Crofts' daughter.

by Anonymousreply 194April 9, 2021 3:03 AM

People in the boomer generation, which I'm a part of seem to pride themselves on being musical snobs. All music must sound like whatever they like. Anyone who says they like all kinds of music gets the strange looks thrown at them

by Anonymousreply 195April 9, 2021 3:27 AM

Doobie Brothers is my favorite. Michael McDonald is the best singer in all those groups. (I don't know anything by the Burrito Bros.)

Summer Breeze, I heard while driving and started to cry. The lyrics are not 100% simple, there's even a little darkness to the song.

Steely Dan, Aja and Hey 19 era, boomer music. I liked Dirty Work.

Neil Young could have sung "Horse with No Name" (America).

by Anonymousreply 196April 9, 2021 3:30 AM

R166 America was my first concert too! I went with my older sister and the whole thing was just so cool. Love their entire songbook, but Ventura Highway the best.

by Anonymousreply 197April 9, 2021 3:33 AM

GREAT cover at R184/OP!

by Anonymousreply 198April 9, 2021 4:12 AM

r190 In all these years, I never had a clue that the very '80s-sounding "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us" was by the former members of Jefferson Airplane. Thanks for the memories...and the elucidation.

by Anonymousreply 199April 9, 2021 12:51 PM

If you are a fan of 70s music (and some early 80s too), check out the Guardians of the Galaxy channel on Pandora. Great mix with yacht rock, Motown, and 70s funk.

by Anonymousreply 200April 9, 2021 1:59 PM

r199 Grace Slick was the only member of Jefferson Airplane who was a member of Starship. The others had all left the group in the early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 201April 9, 2021 3:02 PM

The bumper yacht theme content is lame but the music is good. Also The Bridge on Sirius is good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202April 9, 2021 3:08 PM

R200 thanks for the Guardians channel recommendation! Good stuff! Of course the first song was Brandy!

by Anonymousreply 203April 9, 2021 3:16 PM

Though I listened to the Doobie Brothers' Toulouse Street obsessively in 1972-73, I didn't buy any of their other albums until 1978's Minute by Minute. I just love the song "What a Fool Believes," possibly because I'd played the fool in just that manner two years earlier (and was probably still in love with the guy).

by Anonymousreply 204April 9, 2021 3:17 PM

Good as well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205April 9, 2021 3:18 PM

This is my favorite because they go deeper and play more than just the same 70s standards

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206April 9, 2021 3:23 PM

“Horse With No Name” was a popular song among the Manson girls.

by Anonymousreply 207April 9, 2021 3:50 PM

Horse With No Name was released at the end of 1971, after all those psycho Manson cunts were already behind bars.

by Anonymousreply 208April 9, 2021 5:42 PM

Isley Brothers are sublime, and I say that as a Zillennial. They’ve managed to be cool for sixty years, and that’s hard to do.

My favourite classic cuts of theirs are ‘For The Love Of You’, ‘Voyage To Atlantis’, and ‘Take Me To The Next Phase’ (both parts).

They also do a super-smooth cover of ‘Holding Back The Years’, though I suppose that’s more 80s/90s than 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209April 9, 2021 10:49 PM

^^^OT but the Mr. Biggs hiphopera saga that Ron & Ernie Isley did with R.Kelly and various female chanteuses (Angela Winbush, Kelly Price, Chanté Moore, Johnson Sisters, etc.) might be the crowning glory of 2000s r&b. So lyrically clever and true-to-life, campy and overblown yet somehow still absolutely compelling. And Ron never looked or sounded better, despite being in his sixties at the time.

It’s such a shame it all had to be culturally buried, because Kells is such a vile human being.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210April 9, 2021 10:53 PM

Due to age related dementia I have no memory of any of these bands, so cannot answer your question, OP.

by Anonymousreply 211April 10, 2021 12:46 AM

Yes, the early 70s had some crazy ass lyrics - horses without names, muskrats hooking up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212April 10, 2021 10:34 AM

I can’t with the Doobie Brothers. MM’s voice is painful to me.

Bread is cheesy, but they have a couple of songs I like.

by Anonymousreply 213April 10, 2021 12:12 PM

No Zeppelin?!

by Anonymousreply 214April 10, 2021 12:28 PM

"if i have to hear Yah Mo Be There one more time..." r213

by Anonymousreply 215April 10, 2021 4:13 PM

[quote]Grace Slick was the only member of Jefferson Airplane who was a member of Starship. The others had all left the group in the early 80s.

The ones who held on to their dignity and self-respect.

by Anonymousreply 216April 10, 2021 4:17 PM

r216 I can't blame Grace Slick one bit for doing the Starship music in the 80s. She was in her forties and knew that her shelf life as a Top 40 artist was supposed to be over but she was very, very lucky that she could still get radio play and MTV exposure as part of the Starship, with the newer and younger members of the band. It was her last shot to make $$$ before she couldn't get arrested in the music business and she took it. She got several hit songs and lucrative concert tours and then retired at the end of the 80s.

For the past 30 years she's lived in the Malibu Hills and has been quite well-off in her very comfortable retirement. Spencer Dryden, Paul Kantner and Marty Balin suffered from financial problems and had to keep dragging their old asses out on the oldies circuit until they dropped dead. Which life would you rather have?

by Anonymousreply 217April 10, 2021 4:31 PM

R216 You're hanging on to an urban legend. "We Built This City" was a big #1 smash hit AND a very good song. People loved it, bought it, and so did I.

by Anonymousreply 218April 10, 2021 9:33 PM

R214 If you want a serious answer, I didn't put groups like Led Zeppelin in the poll because I know they're worth listening to! This was mostly about the somewhat dated albums by artists they had lots of albums from in the collection.

R189 Naturally, they have a copy of Red Octopus, I might that dust one off too. "Miracles" is a good song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219April 10, 2021 9:39 PM

Everyone I knew hated that fucking song R218

by Anonymousreply 220April 11, 2021 12:58 AM

I'm with r220; I disliked that song. It's a "station-changer" song - when it comes on, you change the station as quickly as possible.

by Anonymousreply 221April 11, 2021 1:01 AM

I find "America" is usually the best for my sexy times...

"Lala...lalalah...you see I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.."

"alligator lizards in the air..."

by Anonymousreply 222April 11, 2021 1:10 AM

Carly Simon is the best...

"My father sits at night with no lights on, his cigarette glows in the dark..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223April 11, 2021 1:13 AM

I saw Supertramp on here, somewhere - they don’t fit into this easy listening category but they definitely don’t get much in the way of respect, either - and they’re one of my favorite 70s groups, very underrated.

by Anonymousreply 224April 11, 2021 7:50 AM

R224, though I'm of the age where I could have been buying Supertramp albums in the 1970s, they somehow existed on the musical periphery for me. I was only barely aware of a lot of one-word-name '70s groups (America, Queen, Kiss, Kansas, Journey, Boston, Foreigner, Genesis, Supertramp, Bread). I did, however, come to like them in the late '90s, when I bought a new turntable and started buying records again, this time second-hand.

I especially liked the album with the waitress on the cover, and the song "Take the Long Way Home."

by Anonymousreply 225April 11, 2021 12:48 PM

Then there was this album cover. The guys were not hot, but seeing all these shirtless men pressed together did something to me...

I just know "Still the One" . Meh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226April 11, 2021 12:59 PM

I hate, hate, HATE the lead singer of Supertramp's thin, squeaky voice. It's nails on a chalkboard to me. Their songs are fine...some of them I think are really good, but man I find them tough to listen. I remember liking some of the songs I heard by them after that singer left the band.

I agree that they don't belong in a thread about 70's soft rock/yacht rock...but one thing you can count on at Datalounge is the patent inability of DL'ers to stay on topic.

by Anonymousreply 227April 11, 2021 2:03 PM

R226 I get it.

For me, it was this Pablo Cruise album.

To make matter worse, I read in an interview that they actually were all completely butt naked for the photo shoot. God, the thought of that was SO hot to 13-year-old me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228April 11, 2021 2:11 PM

Since this thread's almost a total sausage fest - how about a woman from the era who's also now barely remembered?

Jennifer Warnes- Right Time of the Night

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229April 11, 2021 5:02 PM

And the most recognizable opening bars of a rock song...

Carly Simon's "You're So Vain"

And a reference to Nova Scotia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230April 11, 2021 5:10 PM

Also R230, the only rock song to incorporate the word "gavotte"

by Anonymousreply 231April 11, 2021 5:12 PM

[quote]"We Built This City" was a big #1 smash hit AND a very good song

Yes, and NO. Lots of shitty songs have been hits nonetheless. It definitely did not hold up through time.

by Anonymousreply 232April 11, 2021 5:20 PM

Jennifer Warnes was so bland and boring.

by Anonymousreply 233April 11, 2021 5:46 PM

Warnes could sing at a Ronstadt-level, but didn't look as good in hotpants, so she couldn't compete then and certainly not in the MTV video era

by Anonymousreply 234April 11, 2021 7:15 PM

Yes, lots of 70s artists suffered in popularity because they weren't MTV-friendly. Christopher Cross's career was over when MTV became popular because he was so unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 235April 11, 2021 7:46 PM

Was Christopher Cross always a chub?

by Anonymousreply 236April 11, 2021 8:00 PM

R225 that’s my favorite song of theirs too. They have so many good ones.

R230 I had no idea what she ever said there, I thought it was “go vat” - whatever that is. Is gavotte a Jewish/Yiddish word?

R235 Eddie “no money” is another one (I have that nickname for him because about 5/6 years ago when I was at Mohegan Sun we saw that he was playing in one of the lounges - for free).

by Anonymousreply 237April 11, 2021 8:08 PM

Eddie Money died somewhat recently. He did have "Take Me Home Tonight" with Ronnie Spector, which was a big hit in the late 80s.

by Anonymousreply 238April 11, 2021 8:10 PM

Didn’t he blow most of his money on coke?

by Anonymousreply 239April 11, 2021 8:16 PM

[quote]Is gavotte a Jewish/Yiddish word?

It's a French dance, which I first heard of in My Fair Lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240April 11, 2021 8:27 PM

Eddie Money actually thrived in the MTV era.

He was funny looking, but unlike Christopher Cross, he wasn't fat and he had a full head of hair, so he could kinda-sorta pull off the rock star look.

And he was smart and hired good directors for his videos, which helped him a lot.

Also, remember that, after his first single, "Ride Like the Wind", everything that followed from Christopher Cross was very much in the adult-contemporary vein, a genre that MTV didn't play. In fact, that's how VH1 later came about...as a channel where fans of middle-of-the-road artists like Kenny Rogers, Christopher Cross, Air Supply, etc. could get see videos by the artists they liked.

by Anonymousreply 241April 11, 2021 8:54 PM

Eddie Money played the casinos because he could get free drinks and probably got paid in casino chips

by Anonymousreply 242April 11, 2021 9:46 PM

R229 My dad's record collection (I should stop calling it "my parents'") is, unfortunately, a sausage fest. According to my inventory, these are the only female artists in the collection (I hope I don't fuck up the formatting, sorry in advance):

- Carly Simon (No Secrets) - Carole King (Tapestry) - Diana Ross (Touch Me in the Morning, Lady Sings the Blues) - Emmylou Harris (Elite Hotel, Pieces of the Sky, Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town) - Gladys Knight & the Pips (Imagination) - Janis Ian (Aftertones) - Janis Joplin (Pearl) - Jessi Colter (Diamond in the Rough) - Linda Ronstadt (Don't Cry Now, Hasten Down the Wind, Heart Like a Wheel, Mad Love, Prisoner in Disguise) - Maria Muldaur (S/T) - Melanie (Candles in the Rain, Gather Me, Stoneground Words) - Phoebe Snow (S/T) - Rita Coolidge (S/T, It's Only Love) - Roberta Flack (Killing Me Softly)

There are also quite a few Jefferson Airplane albums, but I'm not sure if they should be listed there. I've always meant to listen to Phoebe Snow, in particular, but I haven't gotten around to it. I love her duet "Gone at Last" with Paul Simon, however.

I was a bit horrified at the lack of Joni Mitchell albums, but I've personally bought a number of her albums over the past year. Herjia is my favorite!

But seriously, thank you all for the discussion and recommendations (and songs to avoid). I'm probably not going to sell any of these records any time soon (as if you'd even be able to get more than $5 for a Bread record, so I might as well hang onto them and give them a chance while I can!).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243April 12, 2021 1:21 AM

David Gates and James Griffin split all their albums 50/50 as far as writing songs. But Gates had every single hit for Bread, so that caused hard feelings in the group, leading to it's demise. Ironically, the only hit record Griffin ever wrote was "For All We Know" , by the Carpenters.

by Anonymousreply 244April 12, 2021 1:28 AM

R244 David Gates had all the hit singles because his songs were always the A side single, half the B sides were by Jimmy Griffin. The record company made the blanket decision that because the first two hits were my Gates that all should be by him, but Gates influenced that decision. Griffin who co-wrote For All You Know (as Arthur James) won the Academy award for best song in 1971.

by Anonymousreply 245April 12, 2021 1:59 AM

Joni Mitchell's later 70s stuff is dreadful. Self-indulgence at its worst.

by Anonymousreply 246April 12, 2021 2:14 AM

The music industry of the 70s was a sausage fest, so it's no surprise the collection is also.

Lots of good female albums there. At the top of the list is King's Tapestry. As essential today as it was when it was released.

by Anonymousreply 247April 12, 2021 2:25 AM

R247 Yes, I listened to Tapestry for the first time in its entirety on its 50th anniversary and it's a great record! There are actually 2 copies of it in the collection!

by Anonymousreply 248April 12, 2021 2:29 AM

I was a big fan of Rod Stewart at the time. I wished he was better looking.

by Anonymousreply 249April 12, 2021 2:31 AM

Personally, I like America, but their best is on their Greatest Hits.

Loggins & Messina have some nice tunes.

I liked Seals & Crofts until I learned how fundie they became and how bitterly anti-abortion they became.

The 70s female singer I love is Karla Bonoff, who wrote a good chunk of Linda Ronstadt's songs.

If you have an interest in this era, may I suggest listening to SOMA FM Left Coast 70s. There's an occasional stinker in the bunch (Dire Straits, John Stewart) but often there's some good singer/songwriter stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250April 12, 2021 2:39 AM

If you haven't listened to the Linda Ronstadt albums, give them a listen. She didn't write her own songs, but she covered some of the best songs of the era and before that.

by Anonymousreply 251April 12, 2021 2:46 AM

I know they're not rock but since were on the subject of the ladies of the 70s, Chaka Khan did amazing work in that decade. All of the Rufus and Chaka Khan albums are pure brilliant soul.

by Anonymousreply 252April 12, 2021 3:12 AM

[quote]I've always meant to listen to Phoebe Snow

I found the first (s/t) Phoebe Snow album in a stack of albums someone was giving away a few years ago and it is absolutely wonderful. Sort of in the same jazz/folk universe as Joni Mitchell. Got me through the misery of late 2016 and really made me wonder why I hadn't listened to her before. Her 2nd and 3rd albums are also good, but after that the quality dips. She had to care for a severely disabled daughter and I think she wasn't able to devote enough attention to navigating the music industry, sadly. But I love her voice.

by Anonymousreply 253April 12, 2021 5:20 AM

As for the other stuff in the poll: as others have mentioned, Flying Burrito Brothers are the odd man out. Gram Parsons was always a cult figure, basically the country-rock Alex Chilton. Never even came close to having a hit, though he probably did (for better or worse) inspire the Eagles.

The MM-era Doobies had their moments. They were basically Steely Dan-lite (Skunk Baxter was also in both groups). America were to CSNY what the Doobies were to SD, but I unabashedly love "Ventura Highway" and a couple other tunes.

Don't really care much the other bands, but Aretha did a fairly wonderful version of Bread's "Make It with You" on her Live at Fillmore West album. At that point in her career she could make almost anything sound good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254April 12, 2021 5:27 AM

Also, re R119 - someone actually wrote a book about how singer-songwriter soft-rock was born in 1970 as a way to soothe boomers after the trials of the 60s. The linchpin albums were Let It Be, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Deja Vu, and Sweet Baby James.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255April 12, 2021 5:35 AM

Dusty Springfield's Make It With You was also sublime.

by Anonymousreply 256April 12, 2021 5:41 AM

Dusty Springfield wasn't that great. Fight me.

by Anonymousreply 257April 12, 2021 8:35 AM

personally, i always thought dusty springfield had a raspy voice and was more of a entertainer than a great vocalist... perfectly suited for the songs she did sing "the look of love" for instance is PERFECTION with her particular voice and her performance of it, but nowhere else... but hey that's just me...

by Anonymousreply 258April 12, 2021 12:40 PM

Dusty Springfield is widely regarded as one of the greatest vocalists ever. Also, the greatest female vocalist ever to come out of Britain. There's nothing raspy about her voice.

by Anonymousreply 259April 12, 2021 2:29 PM

Dusty was perfect doing "The Windmills Of Your Mind", "A House Is Not A Home" and the aforementioned "The Look Of Love".

by Anonymousreply 260April 12, 2021 2:48 PM

I loved "I Only Want to Be with You" and "Stay Awhile," and liked the second US Philips album, the one that had "Wishin' and Hopin'" on it. I liked the girl group sound that was popular through 1964, which the British Invasion more or less killed. There was some overlap, and I loved the Beatles, the Stones, the Hollies, etc.

But I've often wondered what music would have been like if we'd just kept listening to the Ronettes, the Crystals, Motown, Lesley Gore, early Dusty, and of course, the Beach Boys. I've imagined Phil Spector would have gone to ever greater heights, but who can say?

by Anonymousreply 261April 12, 2021 2:53 PM

There’s really only one 70s band of consequence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262April 12, 2021 3:06 PM

I saw that the top five singles acts of the Seventies were Elton John, the Bee Gees, Paul McCartney / Wings, the Carpenters and Stevie Wonder. I don't think any of the ones in your list even made the top ten. But I do think America, Seals and Crofts and Bread were very good.

by Anonymousreply 263April 12, 2021 3:47 PM

Joan Jett, Heart, Pat Benatar were all 70s FM radio stars and sold plenty.

by Anonymousreply 264April 12, 2021 4:02 PM

Hey! What about me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265April 12, 2021 4:29 PM

I prefer Brasil '66's version of "The Look of Love" to Dusty's.

by Anonymousreply 266April 12, 2021 4:48 PM

i prefer karen carpenter's short snippet version of a "a house is not a home" over dusty's any day.... the lyrics are MEANT for karen's intimate, warm yearning beautiful voice....

by Anonymousreply 267April 12, 2021 5:39 PM

Can someone explain the difference between AM and FM radio, as it was in the 70s? I'm a child of the 80s and by then AM radio was all news and all the music was on FM but I've heard that it was different in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 268April 12, 2021 5:48 PM

Until the mid 70s the most popular radio stations were on the AM dial and FM only had a few fringe stations. As those FM stations that mostly played Album Oriented Rock (featuring a lot of artists on this thread) grew in popularity due to the improved sound quality, the other stations that played other types of music switched over until FM became preferred for the majority of music radio stations.

by Anonymousreply 269April 12, 2021 6:17 PM

R268 Basically, AM radio was "Top 40". They played whatever was a hit. Mainstream pop, R&B, country, hard rock, adult contemporary, novelty records, bubblegum...if it was a hit, it got played somewhere on AM. They also almost exclusively played songs that were released as singles. The DJ's were high energy personalities.

FM was supposedly less crassly commercial, and less hit driven. They mainly played artists that had a modicum of critical respect, and an image as a "serious artist". They often played album cuts that were never released as singles, or that were released as singles, but weren't successful. They concentrated on southern rock (or country rock), singer/songwriters, hard rock, and prog rock. If a song was released in an edited version as a single, they would always play the long "album version"...and sometimes those were really, really long.

For all of its supposed seriousness and progressiveness, FM was, in practice, actually very restrictive and limited in a lot of ways. There was a serious dearth of black artists on their playlists, with the exceptions of Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Wonder. This was probably partly due to racism, and partly due to the perception of R&B as "too commercial"...you know, a bunch of guys or girls all dressed alike, doing choreography. Yet they the had no problem playing the hell out of the Average White Band and Boz Scaggs. So white artists playing R&B got played, while black artists mostly didn't (Stevie being the one exception). Even bands like the Isley Brothers, who did serious "message" songs, were left out. FM was also very late to embrace the punk and New Wave, clinging stubbornly to the same old sounds while this musical revolution was happening right under their noses.

A lot of times, it was more about an artist's image than their actual music when it came to who got played on FM. Musically, I don't think there's a ton of daylight between somebody like James Taylor, who was an FM (and AM) fave, and John Denver, who only got played on AM. JT leaned a little bit more into R&B I guess, while JD leaned more toward straight country, but basically they weren't all that different. They were both white guys with acoustic guitars who wrote and sang their own country-tinged, folkie-pop songs. But JT was cool, sullen, and a serious drug addict. JD was the epitome of uncool...a total dork, who had no problem clowning it up in cornball TV variety show skits next to "establishment" entertainment figures. So, JD couldn't get arrested on FM, even though something like "Rocky Mountain High" would have fit very nicely into the FM format. Melissa Manchester did get played on FM in the beginning, her first few albums were very much in the early 70's singer/songwriter vein. But when she started recording overly commercial schlock written by others, like "Don't Cry Out Loud", she was no longer seen as "serious" and was exiled to AM only. Same thing with Neil Diamond. He was cool enough for FM until about the time of the Streisand duet, then they dropped him.

A lot of artists got played on both formats. They would have big hit singles that got played on both, while FM would dive deep into their album cuts: The Rolling Stones, all of the ex-Beatles, Chicago, Jim Croce, Linda Ronstadt, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Rod Stewart, Paul Simon, Billy Joel, Peter Frampton, Fleetwood Mac, and so on. Others, like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, and Led Zeppelin, were mostly FM, but were able to come up with the occasional AM hit single. That didn't work in reverse, though...an artist perceived as AM wouldn't get played on FM under any circumstances. They were never going to play The Carpenters, no matter how many Klaatu or Leon Russell songs they covered. Neil Sedaka wasn't getting FM play, no matter how much he recorded and palled around with Elton John. Likewise Helen Reddy, Tony Orlando and Dawn, Cher, ABBA, and Barry Manilow.

by Anonymousreply 270April 12, 2021 6:34 PM

I always thought OP's song was called "Venture A Highway"

by Anonymousreply 271April 12, 2021 6:58 PM

Thank you both for clarifying AM vs. FM. By the mid-80s this must've no longer been a thing, because all music was on FM and AM was news and talk radio. At least in my region.

by Anonymousreply 272April 12, 2021 7:03 PM

I remember Jennifer Warnes being the opening act for a rock group at UVA.

The crowd was getting drunk and wanted to hear the rock group. So they got really rude and started booing her.

She was pleading with the crowd to just let her do her set. I felt so badly for her.

by Anonymousreply 273April 12, 2021 7:06 PM

My parents would play Ray Conniff on the 8 track tape player in our 1972 Cadillac Sedan Deville.

by Anonymousreply 274April 12, 2021 7:23 PM

I was in Cape Cod this summer and we had a multi generational family gathering ...generally I like current and indie groups like the Shins etc. But we chose the 70's playlist on Spotify and referred to it as Flaccid Rock. I kind of loved it. All the above groups were represented including Jerry Rafferty who I love.

by Anonymousreply 275April 12, 2021 7:27 PM

R255 I may or may not have ordered that book! Naturally, all of those albums are in the collection. There are actually TWO copies of Sweet Baby James in it (but no other James Taylor records, oddly enough).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276April 15, 2021 3:08 AM

The Isley Brothers covered this Seals & Crofts song back in the day. I never heard it before the recent live Isley Brothers vs. Earth Wind & Fire event that happened a couple of weeks ago (which was AMAZING btw.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277April 15, 2021 3:22 AM

"Joan Jett, Heart, Pat Benatar were all 70s FM radio stars and sold plenty."

Heart had their first hit in the 70s but Joan Jett and Pat Benatar were products of the 80s. The very superficial, trivial 80s.

by Anonymousreply 278April 15, 2021 3:27 AM

Joan Jett and Pat Benatar both had some great songs. They were hardly trivial or superficial. Joan Jett in particular lived the rock and roll life that your pansy ass would've run screaming from.

by Anonymousreply 279April 15, 2021 3:29 AM

It's bizarre to me that people burnt disco albums, but not the creepy as fuck Unborn Child album from Seals & Crofts. I winced when I came across it while entering the collection into discogs. Ick. Ick. People should have burnt this album instead of Donna Summer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280April 15, 2021 3:31 AM

The recent HBO Bee Gees documentary had a segment on that Disco Demolition in Chicago where all the troglodyte straight people burned disco records in Comiskey Park. They interviewed several people who were working at the park (all black guys) and these guys said it wasn't just disco but soul records like Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder the rednecks were burning too. It was definitely a racial thing.

by Anonymousreply 281April 15, 2021 3:34 AM

R281 I recall hearing about that event. The idea began as a push back by rock fans to the disco music that was dominating the airwaves at the time, but the overall concept grew into anti-black and anti-gay sentiment. It was ugly and uniformed and racist.

by Anonymousreply 282April 15, 2021 10:43 AM

"Joan Jett in particular lived the rock and roll life that your pansy ass would've run screaming from."

And she looks it. She's always looked...dirty. Like she never bathes. She's always had that "rode hard, put away wet" look about her. If that's what the "rock and roll life" does to you then you can bloody well have it.

by Anonymousreply 283April 15, 2021 8:11 PM

OP - Are you still cleaning and cataloging and have you found any gems in the collection that have resonated with you from an artist that you just discovered? Fall down any rabbit holes?

by Anonymousreply 284April 15, 2021 8:15 PM

In my neighborhood in the 70s, if you smoked pot, you were an FM listener. If you didn't, you listened to AM.

by Anonymousreply 285April 16, 2021 3:22 AM

R284 I'm done cataloging but still cleaning! My biggest discovery in this collection has been Neil Young, to be honest. My father loved his music, but I *despised* it growing up. Despised! I always thought that I hated Neil Young. When I put After the Goldrush on, out of curiosity, I was really taken by it! I didn't know he was so... good!! All these years I've been missing out on Neil Young!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286April 16, 2021 3:36 AM

R286 Almost all of Neil Young is good to great.

by Anonymousreply 287April 16, 2021 11:13 AM

One more 70s artist I should have put in the poll was Kris Kristofferson! I just noticed that there are about 4 albums by him in the collection. I've always liked "Sunday Morning Coming Down," but was the rest of his music good?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288April 20, 2021 1:33 AM

R250 I loved Karla Bonoff too. She does a version of "The Water is Wide" with James Taylor and JD Souther. Their harmonies will bring a tear to your eye. Gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289April 22, 2021 12:30 AM

Agree with so many already posted here but I can't believe I forgot about War.

Credit to whoever may have mentioned them earlier and my eye skipped over it.

Lowrider

Why Can't we Be Friends?

Summer

War wrote and performed great, great pop music and had a very distinct sound, even in an era that rewarded eccentricity.

by Anonymousreply 290April 22, 2021 12:41 AM

R289.... love Karla Bonoff's 2 mainsteam hits "please be the one" and "personally"....

by Anonymousreply 291April 22, 2021 3:54 AM

You'll probably either like or hate Kristofferson's voice. I never cared much for it. He was very good songwriter in his prime. The trouble with most singer-songwriters was that they were not able to sustain good work over the long run.

Neil Young's output has been pretty inconsistent over time. Nonetheless, I came to like more than I did in his prime.

by Anonymousreply 292April 22, 2021 3:36 PM

R288, one of my favorite album sides of all time is side 1 of [italic]Songs of Kristofferson[/italic]:

"The Silver-Tongued Devil"

"Loving Her Was Easier (than Anything I'll Ever Do Again)"

"Me and Bobby McGee" (Kristofferson, Fred Foster)

"Help Me Make It Through the Night"

"For the Good Times"

"Sunday Morning Comin' Down"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293April 22, 2021 3:59 PM

My copy of Fire & Rain arrived today, I am excited to read it.

I'm pretty much finished cleaning & organizing all the records. Now, time to listen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294April 29, 2021 11:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!