Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alan Watts

Some cutie on here turned me on to Watts over the holidays - I believe it was in the “I’m fucking depressed” thread - and now I am a total admirer. From his brilliant mind and astute observations to his lulling voice and adorably infectious laughter, Watts is a fantastic lecturer whom both theists and atheists - and those somewhere in between the two - can learn from.

Currently, I’m listening to “Out of Your Mind: Essential Listening from the Alan Watts Audio Archives” (it’s available on YouTube, to which I will share links below). I highly recommend checking him out.

Out of Your Mind Part 1:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2021 10:40 PM

Out of Your Mind Part 2:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 6, 2021 10:11 PM

He changed my life, OP, for the better. Welcome!

by Anonymousreply 2April 6, 2021 10:16 PM

R2 Was it you who shared all of those links in the aforementioned thread? If so, thank you! I listen to him regularly, especially while working out or completing menial tasks.

by Anonymousreply 3April 6, 2021 10:19 PM

Also, the above recording is available on Audible.

by Anonymousreply 4April 6, 2021 10:25 PM

Watts made it possible for me to quit smoking--he advised not to oppose one part of your mind with the other (I won't smoke, I want to smoke) but just quietly decide that you don't do that anymore and every time an urge arises just quietly think, "I don't do that" and go on with your life. Worked for me--not saying the first 72 hours weren't hell, they were. People think he was esoteric but he was down to earth.

by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2021 10:38 PM

It wasn't me, R3, I didn't know he's on Youtube. In the late '60s, a San Francisco FM station played a talk by him every Sunday morning and I always listened to that. Then I got his books at the library. Peaceful.

by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2021 10:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!