Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Worst TV Theme Songs Ever

I know you bitches are gonna come up with some doozies, but I nominate this embarrassingly dated intro to one of the dumbest “hit” sitcoms ever, a show so bad most of the cast quit after the 3rd season so they had to reboot it and this is how they decided to kick off making a bad thing even worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161April 22, 2021 8:14 AM

I know it’s Ray Charles but this was a bad idea for a sitcom theme song. And all the actors looked stupid too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 6, 2021 8:25 PM

This alone should have been a red flag at what an asshole Joss Whedon is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 6, 2021 8:28 PM

I watched the one you posted OP and then the original. I think this one was actually better but they are both weird. What was Suddenly Susan even about? I get it confused with Veronica's Closet.

I am glad it introduced us to Kathy Griffin though!

I remember being a kid and every season they would switch up the opening to The Cosby Show. I didn't realize that at first though and when this one aired, I literally though the show had changed thing up and the family would now be on a shipwrecked island.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 6, 2021 8:36 PM

Tombstone Territory credits' theme: overly perky whistling, no matter how dramatic the episode

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 6, 2021 8:37 PM

Maybe I had stopped watching Suddenly Susan by then but that clip is not familiar at all.

But this I had to mute each episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2021 8:42 PM

So, I rewatched Felicity again last month, and I guess J.J. Abrams was an aspiring musician at one point and had written the opening theme song for the series. That was fine for two years, but then for that last years he added lyrics to the music. And what does he speak of about hip, cool, young NYC college students? Well, he speaks of new wallpaper and new shoe leather of course. Now granted in season two Noel and Elaina did have an apartment that they stripped five layers of old wallpaper off, but then they painted and did not use new wallpaper and then they moved out anyways. The problem is the song is an earwig, and given the chance I still listened to it, especially for the wailing virtuoso statement of “New version of youuuuuuuu, I want a new version of meeeeeeeee!” But new shoe leather, kids don’t care about that, toss those shoes and buy a new pair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2021 8:52 PM

That was really funny OP. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 7April 6, 2021 9:01 PM

OP, irregardless of what the song is or was, I just sing the Seymour song from Little Shop of Horrors as the theme song to the series.

by Anonymousreply 8April 6, 2021 9:06 PM

You know an 80s show's theme song is bad when it's used as the model for "bad 80s tv show theme" parodies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 6, 2021 9:15 PM

^^ For example:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 6, 2021 9:16 PM

OP, you win! That was awful. The only bright spot was Rob Estes who I thought for a second was going to lift up his shirt.

Watching the DESIGNING a WOMEN clip I thought, “Poor Jan Hooks. She died so young. Oh, and Dixie Carter is dead, too. And Meshach Taylor. Is Ray Charles alive? (Googled him.). No. Dead since 2004. That’s a lot of dead people in a show that’s been off the air less than 30 years.”

by Anonymousreply 11April 6, 2021 9:37 PM

R11, don’t Google the Golden Girls cast.

by Anonymousreply 12April 6, 2021 9:42 PM

R11 Or British comedy 'Are You Being Served'

by Anonymousreply 13April 6, 2021 9:46 PM

In "My Opinionation" everyone involved with the Blossom theme/opening should be ashamed of their fucking selves!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2021 9:52 PM

Geez, Suddenly Susan went from #3 in its first season to #65 in season 2. People would just watch whatever dreck NBC broadcast on Thursday night back then.

by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2021 9:54 PM

[quote] "OP, irregardless of what the song is or was..."

Oh, dear.

I'm adding the theme from "Two And A Half Men" to this list. It's also one of the least funny things ever put on television.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2021 9:56 PM

R14 was what I was about to say. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 17April 6, 2021 10:08 PM

R15 Suddenly Susan was sandwiched between Seinfeld and ER. The Number 1 and 2 show at the time. And then they moved it to another night. And the true numbers came to fruition.

by Anonymousreply 18April 6, 2021 10:10 PM

Hilarious...not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2021 10:12 PM

Omg this is horrendous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2021 10:14 PM

The hilarious 90’s classic and romantic comedy Caroline in the City. I’m still rooting for Caroline and Richard to be together. The chemistry is undeniable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 6, 2021 10:20 PM

Joanie Loves Chachi:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 6, 2021 10:24 PM

OP, is there anything particular that draws you to Suddenly Susan? It seems so random. Your description of Season 3 and how some of the cast had quit plus the 4th season reboot sounds about right. It just seems like you intentionally left out some events.

Were you planning on rolling them out as though you had no previous knowledge? The glaring omission seems odd given that you watched the show.

by Anonymousreply 23April 6, 2021 10:31 PM

R21 Ally McBeal stole its audience

by Anonymousreply 24April 6, 2021 10:32 PM

Blame it on my youth, R23!

I was a child when it aired, but my family would basically watch on the only TV in the house whatever dreck was on NBC from 8pm-10pm during the school week most of my childhood. I recently went back to see if it was as bad as I remembered and that Season Four intro was so painfully dated it inspired me to create a thread about the worst TV theme songs. I must say, this has been a blast thus far! Keep it up, please!

The Season Two intro is almost so bad it’s good... almost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 6, 2021 10:36 PM

[quote] Blame it on my youth,

I hear you R25. You sound like quite the scally! And an observant one. Some might even say gifted.

by Anonymousreply 26April 6, 2021 10:44 PM

R22 CHARLES IN CHARGE was even worse.

I doubt anyone wanted Scott Baio in charge of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2021 10:59 PM

So bad it comes out at the other hand and is good again: the NCIS theme. Not a song, I know.

by Anonymousreply 28April 6, 2021 11:07 PM

A very obscure one, this failed and long forgotten British sitcom starring Chris Barrie (Red Dwarf, The Brittas Empire, the butler in the Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider films).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 6, 2021 11:11 PM

‘Mistake Of Your Life’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 6, 2021 11:12 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 6, 2021 11:38 PM

Rocky Road theme song from the mid 80s =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 6, 2021 11:47 PM

Take your pick =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 6, 2021 11:48 PM

This is my favorite of all awful theme songs because it comes from a very brief period (roughly 197982) where networks had the insane idea that sitcom theme songs would best be sung by the stars if the show. Tony Randall is okay, but Kaleena Kiff cannotsing, and Swoosie Kurtz sounds like she's trying out for a soprano part in the choir at the local Methodist church...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 6, 2021 11:57 PM

The version of "The Facts of Life" from season one comes from that same period--and treated the audience to the wobbly singing of Charlotte Rae--when she goes into the high notes at the end it's truly jaw-dropping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 7, 2021 12:02 AM

Lotsa Luck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 7, 2021 12:22 AM

R30 Who’s ever channeling Jennifer Love Hewitt there is doing some mighty fine sweater acting.

by Anonymousreply 37April 7, 2021 12:57 AM

Yikes, R36, is that perhaps the most unattractive cast ever assembled for a network series? Not a looker in the bunch. Lotsa Luck is right!

by Anonymousreply 38April 7, 2021 1:03 AM

I was going to nominate this one but it kinda grows on you

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 7, 2021 2:32 AM

[quote] I was going to nominate this one but it kinda grows on you

No, Defarto, it grows on you. Don't cast a wide net. You are the one who idolizes hitler.

Stay in your own lane with your hate speech.

by Anonymousreply 40April 7, 2021 2:36 AM

The Southern Charm Theme Song on Bravo was EXCREMENT.

The 1986-87 season of Knots Landing was fucking terrible. It was the Knots Landing Theme Goes To Jamaica. Absolutely atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 41April 7, 2021 2:40 AM

Theme song aside, the Facts of Life actually did a pretty good job of retooling the show and knowing who to keep from that bloated first season cast. That and a Different World were probably two of the better efforts to fix and save a show. Usually, they just make it worse. Suddenly Susan is one that went from mediocre to less than mediocre with some of their changes. Newhart is another show that really improved with casting changes the second and third seasons, especially replacing the perfect maid with Stephanie and getting rid of the original neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 42April 7, 2021 2:55 AM

r5 OMG this is one of the worst theme songs ever!!! i liked the show but as soon as Netflix offered the option to skip the opening theme, my finger was on that button like a trigger. Horrible.

by Anonymousreply 43April 7, 2021 3:07 AM

Thank all of you for not mentioning me.

by Anonymousreply 44April 7, 2021 3:07 AM

No worries Linda, In most homes it was known as the "Flo Program" or "The Kiss My Grits Lady Show".

You were just a homely lump with a shitty theme song.

by Anonymousreply 45April 7, 2021 3:14 AM

The [italic]Who's the Boss[/italic] theme song was pretty dire as was the show. It's telling that the copyright owners actually let [italic]Family Guy[/italic] use it for a scene where Adam West is in Hell and trying to find something on TV to watch and that's all they have on every channel. Letterman already did that joke when the show was still running. I'll take ANY version of the FOL theme over that, even if it was played by Cousin Geri on the kazoo.

R34: They rerecorded that with Gladys Knight for the second season. Still not that memorable a song, but it sounds like heavy metal compared to this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 7, 2021 3:19 AM

I'm Doin' It The Best I Can ("Just the Ten of Us")

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 7, 2021 3:21 AM

You're SO going to Hell for that, R47, and so are you if you mention my show's theme or the lesbian who sang it.

by Anonymousreply 48April 7, 2021 3:22 AM

The worst sitcom of all time (canceled after one episode) had the worst theme song of all time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 7, 2021 3:27 AM

What about that time Grant Goodeve wrote lyrics to 8 is Enough and when on and on about “shiny new dimes.”

by Anonymousreply 50April 7, 2021 3:29 AM

Looking at Joanie Loves Chachi-why the fuck did they give Erin Moran that awful hairstyle? The show was set in the 60s and that hair is 80s dyke.

by Anonymousreply 51April 7, 2021 3:35 AM

cringe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 7, 2021 3:40 AM

i like Oprah, but she can't sing or dance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 7, 2021 3:43 AM

This is a downside to Youtube. All of these should be forgotten forever, and never cross another synapse of any beautiful human minds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 7, 2021 3:45 AM

Seinfeld music is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It wasn't a standard "intro" because, you know, the show was revolutionary and "edgy", a show about "nothing", when really was about a group of very unlikable people being awful in New York. They were funny and tiresome at the same time, very odd.

by Anonymousreply 55April 7, 2021 4:40 AM

I'll take that over the [italic]Friends[/italic] theme any day, R55. That's the sort of song that makes me wish rock music had never been invented.

by Anonymousreply 56April 7, 2021 4:42 AM

“Up Your Pavement” theme music

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 7, 2021 4:50 AM

[quote] Yikes, [R36], is that perhaps the most unattractive cast ever assembled for a network series? Not a looker in the bunch. Lotsa Luck is right!

Here’s an episode — notice Dom DeLuise’s body. He wasn’t fat. His face was fat but his body would not be considered fat today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 7, 2021 5:02 AM

R6 I adore that intro to Felicity. That neeeeewwwwwww VER!-sion is good. Great voices, momentum and decent lyrics.

The original sounded so....granola bullshitty. I only watched the whole show through a few years back and was laughing everytime I heard that stupid woman ooooohhing eeeehhhhhing aaaahhhhing and waaaaaaying. Da fuq?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 7, 2021 5:11 AM

The MASH theme song was SO fucking irritating and creepy! I turned the channel every time it came on.

by Anonymousreply 60April 7, 2021 5:12 AM

The version from the movie has lyrics, R60.

by Anonymousreply 61April 7, 2021 5:13 AM

Lotsa Luck was actually pretty funny despite the terrible open. Well it was funny to a little kid anyway. I remember it distinctly, strange to say.

by Anonymousreply 62April 7, 2021 5:26 AM

R21: That's not a song, that's Little Orphan Annie having a nervous breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 63April 7, 2021 5:31 AM

Yikes OP, you are right - that intro is trash. So Brooke Shields was pretty. Who cares? Why'd she get a show??

Loved the original Ally McBeal show and theme, but then they "amped up" the intro in season 4 and after Downey went to jail and half the cast bounced, the whole thing became a sad circus and the ratings went down down down....

That's what I think of when I see this last frenetic intro....sounds terrible too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 7, 2021 5:34 AM

[quote] Lotsa Luck was actually pretty funny despite the terrible open

I liked The Super with Bruno Kirby (young Clemenza in Godfather) and Richard Castellano (older Clemenza in Godfather), a similar early 70s working class family sitcom. I get Lotsa Luck & The Super mixed up in my memory. All in the Family & Sanford & Son set off a rash of working class family shows after years of middle class families in pristine homes. Can’t find any episodes of The Super.

by Anonymousreply 65April 7, 2021 5:58 AM

Forgotten Canadian show called Check It Out.

Epitome of cheesy 80s opening. It appears that they had exactly $5 to film this. The actors dont even seem interested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 7, 2021 6:16 AM

[quote] Epitome of cheesy 80s opening. It appears that they had exactly $5 to film this.

And $4.50 of that was paying Don Adams' bus fare to Canada.

by Anonymousreply 67April 7, 2021 6:17 AM

The alternative DAWSON’S CREEK theme. I didn’t want to wait for that song to be over. Why would you replace my perfect track with that twee tinny little piece of crap?

And I could really have used those kickbacks, too. What could have been...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68April 7, 2021 8:39 AM

R55 I agree about the Seinfeld stuff. I must've blocked it out or I would've added it upthread..

R54 They need to be reminders to get the theme right (if one is used for a show).

Just compare the original Gilligan's Island theme to the one we all know & love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 7, 2021 8:49 AM

The original Gilligan’s Island song doesn’t make sense - a Caribbean beat, a Mexican accent (carrumba!) and a Hawaiian ukulele.

Sherwood Schwartz was a longtime Hollywood insider. He knew to put his name on everything because it would pay off in the end. Did he actually write the more familiar Gilligan’s Island theme himself, or did he pay someone to write it & to give him the writing credit, which was common practice in music/entertainment industry? Who knows. But he got rid of the original theme & replaced it with one with his name on it & that’s what mattered.

He also never told the stars of the show they should negotiate for the right to endless reruns instead of just 6 airings.

by Anonymousreply 70April 7, 2021 2:58 PM

R35- You're an idiot.

The first season theme song of TFOL was THE BEST.

The late season theme songs of TFOL were HORRIBLE as someone posted earlier in the thread.

by Anonymousreply 71April 7, 2021 3:07 PM

R49- That show has THE SAME set as the first seaon of The Facts Of Life.

by Anonymousreply 72April 7, 2021 3:09 PM

[quote] Worst TV Theme Songs Ever

Gene Roddenberry dashed off lyrics to the original series theme so he could screw Alexander Courage out of half the music rights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 7, 2021 3:10 PM

Hello Larry! Portland is a long way from LA. Yes it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 7, 2021 4:05 PM

I actually really liked the Cosby show opening lol.

I think the worst I’ve ever heard was Small Wonder, the unfunny sitcom about a little girl android.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 7, 2021 4:08 PM

I have never heard of the series Felicity. But it looks in the opening like there is his male eye candy?

by Anonymousreply 76April 7, 2021 4:14 PM

Uncle Waldo's Cartoon Show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 7, 2021 4:19 PM

I think the “opinionation” song wins...and thanks for getting it stuck in my head.

by Anonymousreply 78April 7, 2021 4:20 PM

R76 Double eye Candy as befits a love triangle, Scott Speedman as Ben the bad boy and Scott Foley as Noel, the good guy. Double Scott goodness!

by Anonymousreply 79April 7, 2021 4:30 PM

Great examples. You’re killing it, bitches! Keep up the great work.

Not necessarily the worst, but definitely odd - COP ROCK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 7, 2021 9:32 PM

Another Brit one but 'Eastenders' theme song with lyrics had cats leaping to their death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 7, 2021 9:49 PM

^^^EASTENDERS is an actual song? With lyrics???

by Anonymousreply 82April 7, 2021 10:23 PM

In 1983, NBC launched their reboot TV series based on its iconic cinematic forbearer: CASABLANCA: The Series! Certainly the opening theme set to the clips of the new cast and how this was going to play out is instructive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 8, 2021 4:06 AM

This is especially awful for having as its first rhymed words "caring" and "sharing."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 8, 2021 5:28 AM

The worst

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 8, 2021 5:44 AM

Lame af

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 8, 2021 5:50 AM

Our House intro, but I guess this show gets points for featuring DL faves Shannon Doherty and Deidre Hall! Plus Uncle Diabeetus Wilford Brimley!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 8, 2021 6:09 AM

No no, *this* is the worst...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88April 8, 2021 6:12 AM

R88 is either a bitter Anne Tremko or Bob Golic.

by Anonymousreply 89April 8, 2021 6:15 AM

Not like the original was any good to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 90April 8, 2021 6:39 AM

Oh come on, R84, R86 and R87 — those are nowhere near the WORST theme songs ever.

Resurfacing the theme to Co-Ed Fever for comparison:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91April 8, 2021 6:44 AM

Whoever created this must have snorted enough cocaine to keep Colombia solvent for a decade, which is way longer than this show lasted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 8, 2021 6:44 AM

Hodge Podge Lodge was horrendous with these screeching children. As a firm rule, children should not be allowed to sing opening theme songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 8, 2021 6:45 AM

[quote]As a firm rule, children should not be allowed to sing opening theme songs.

Excuse me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94April 8, 2021 6:47 AM

Little-known fact: The theme to We Got It Made is what destroyed Tom Villard's immune system, not HIV.

by Anonymousreply 95April 8, 2021 6:50 AM

Honestly, R91, there is nothing more horrendous (thus far). Unbelievably atrocious and also “trying” so hard at the same time. Who could ever watch that and say it was cute/fun?!!

Grand is def close second though. Yikes.

Thanks for keeping this nightmare circus of horrors going everyone. Tbh I always knew you bitches would come through.

by Anonymousreply 96April 8, 2021 6:54 AM

[quote] This is my favorite of all awful theme songs because it comes from a very brief period (roughly 197982) where networks had the insane idea that sitcom theme songs would best be sung by the stars if the show.

I know, right?

by Anonymousreply 97April 8, 2021 6:58 AM

Were there just too many versions of Linda scatting away the Alice theme to include and thus canceled herself out?

by Anonymousreply 98April 8, 2021 7:02 AM

A perfectly lovely flute melody was wasted on the otherwise-egregious theme to Disney Afternoon’s ADVENTURES OF THE GUMMI BEARS.

The awful drum machine track, the obnoxious imperial parp, the cheesy lyric, the overblown vocal line from Joseph Williams (son of John Williams, and lead singer of Toto)...shiteous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99April 8, 2021 10:34 AM

Compare to the wonderful, inventive and apt themes for other Disney toons, such as GARGOYLES, TALESPIN, DOUG, RECESS, and GOOF TROOP, and you wonder how Eisner signed off on the GUMMI BEARS theme.

by Anonymousreply 100April 8, 2021 10:38 AM

The Jonas Brothers did themselves dirty, writing such a bad theme for their own sitcom. Or maybe that was the point....🤔

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101April 8, 2021 10:48 AM

The only things I remember about Suddenly Susan were that there was an episode dedicated to the premise that old people can be mesmerized by butterscotch candies and that I thought Kathy Griffin's character was a lazy knockoff of the redhead from Newsradio.

by Anonymousreply 102April 8, 2021 11:11 AM

Like these, R34?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103April 8, 2021 2:41 PM

That [italic]Grand[/italic] theme is an abomination. It’s the sort of thing that thinks it’s clever but is actually just annoyingly smug and honestly too maudlin to be a sitcom theme song.

by Anonymousreply 104April 8, 2021 3:00 PM

[quote] Kathy Griffin's character was a lazy knockoff of the redhead from Newsradio.

Exactly correct. And Vicki Lewis was much funnier than Kathy's performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 8, 2021 3:09 PM

Speaking of NewsRadio, wasn’t Andy Dick somehow involved or responsible for providing the drugs to David Strickland from Suddenly Susan right before he killed himself? I know he got Phil Hartman’s wife back on blow which lead to her murder/suicide, but I think it was rumored at the time he was “friends” with closeted Strickland, too.

by Anonymousreply 106April 8, 2021 3:14 PM

And, to answer my own question, yes he was... what a puke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107April 8, 2021 3:17 PM

I don't remember Grand at all. The cast seemed to have a few people they were really trying hard to make the next big thing for a few years.

by Anonymousreply 108April 8, 2021 3:23 PM

Down To Earth. Everything is bad about this theme song , opening credits and the show itself. Don't think anyone in the cast id anything of note afterward.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109April 8, 2021 3:40 PM

David Strickland was so attractive and lovely, I miss him.

by Anonymousreply 110April 8, 2021 3:41 PM

"JenniFER, wotcha doin to me..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111April 8, 2021 4:22 PM

America is clamoring for a Small Wonder reboot! I think Elliot Page would be perfect for the role of Vicki the Robot, except they'd have to change the name to Victor.

by Anonymousreply 112April 8, 2021 4:27 PM

This was such a depressing song.

Diana Canova had been one of the most beloved performers on "Soap," but she left it to do this awful depressing sitcom. At this time (@1980), sitcoms were nothing but single parents with annoying cute small children--this trend nearly killed the genre since they just weren't funny. But then "The Cosby Show" revitalized everything (even though it wasn't that good).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113April 8, 2021 4:47 PM

OMG R113 I'm going to have nightmares about that child's teeth in the opening credits! Like the before picture in an ad for veneers.

by Anonymousreply 114April 8, 2021 5:16 PM

The late 80s early 90s had a number of sitcoms with intros and theme songs so lame they actually dissuaded you from watching. Then there were ones I would watch just for the intro, like Hill Street Blues. And intro should compel you to watch, not make you say, damn looks stupid af.

by Anonymousreply 115April 8, 2021 5:25 PM

^An

by Anonymousreply 116April 8, 2021 5:25 PM

MacGyver's theme song was inspired and produced by the lowest model Casio keyboard. I like watching Monk and it's followed by MacGyver so I always hear the theme before my lazy ass changes the channel.

by Anonymousreply 117April 8, 2021 5:35 PM

This is memorably awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118April 8, 2021 7:02 PM

Not only is the theme song of this completely non-descript, but the concept is hilariously awful. it would be like the kind of syndicated TV show Joey Tribbiani would get a role in on FRIENDS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119April 8, 2021 7:08 PM

Yellow Rose of Texas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120April 8, 2021 7:30 PM

Creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121April 8, 2021 7:33 PM

Wow, the boomers really ruined popular culture, didn’t they?

by Anonymousreply 122April 8, 2021 7:40 PM

I hated season 1 intro of the Doris Day Show. The one with the spiral staircase and fashion show, on the other hand, is perfection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123April 8, 2021 7:45 PM

Parks & Rec and 30 Rock's theme songs used to drive me batty.

by Anonymousreply 124April 8, 2021 7:47 PM

R99 I forgot about Gummi Bears! I kind of love how a Disney cartoon from the mid-1980s has such an overblown theme song. It's not right, but... it's okay.

by Anonymousreply 125April 8, 2021 7:51 PM

[quote] Then there were ones I would watch just for the intro, like Hill Street Blues. And intro should compel you to watch, not make you say, damn looks stupid af

Other good examples: LA Law, The Rockford Files, St. Elsewhere, Room 222.

by Anonymousreply 126April 8, 2021 8:02 PM

I love the theme to Taxi as well. I’d always watch the intro or outro. Was never a fan of the show but it was a bit over my head as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 127April 8, 2021 8:26 PM

Marilu Henner remembers every note of that opening theme song to Taxi.

by Anonymousreply 128April 8, 2021 8:29 PM

I haven’t seen the show in years, so maybe they’ve changed it, but I hated the intro to Fear The Walking Dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129April 8, 2021 9:50 PM

I kind of liked the Dear John theme. It reminds me of cozy evenings at home.

by Anonymousreply 130April 8, 2021 9:59 PM

Since we’re bashing Disney shows, I nominate [italic]Kim Possible[/italic] and [italic]That’s So Raven[/italic] as the absolute worst themes.

Both the [italic]Sister Sister[/italic] themes were pretty obnoxious, but THE Disney Channel just showed reruns of that and didn’t actually air it first.

by Anonymousreply 131April 8, 2021 9:59 PM

[quote] America is clamoring for a Small Wonder reboot!

But only if I return to reprise my triumph as Harriet Brindle!

by Anonymousreply 132April 8, 2021 10:02 PM

This treacly intro—for a shitty late-'80s sitcom that managed to ensnare Grant Tinker and Bryan Cranston—may be fatal to diabetics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133April 9, 2021 8:46 AM

[quote] Since we’re bashing Disney shows, I nominate Kim Possible

“Call me, beep me” does nothing for you? Weird.

The theme for EVEN STEVENS (also with Christy Carlson-Romano) was one of the best on Disney Channel. So jazzy! And the claymation title sequence was really unique and looked great, also.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134April 9, 2021 9:01 AM

All the fonts used in Disney Channel sitcom title sequences were crimes against design.

by Anonymousreply 135April 10, 2021 12:39 AM

Not the worst, but I never liked The Green Hornet theme. It was too frenetic and made me anxious. It really was like a little hornet was flying all around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136April 10, 2021 12:41 AM

R133: That title sequence called for a more upbeat song than that. That song sounds like it belongs in a bank commercial.

by Anonymousreply 137April 10, 2021 12:42 AM

I should have gotten more residuals for this shit!!

by Anonymousreply 138April 10, 2021 6:14 AM

Teri Copley's tits have returned to their roots — Jesus!

She told the 700 Club all about her previously heathen ways:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139April 10, 2021 6:20 AM

Miss Faye Dunaway was no stranger to bad sitcom intros... actually, this collection of CBS promos for “It Had To Be You” may be worse than anything proffered hence... weighed salads included.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140April 10, 2021 6:50 AM

Wow, R140's video! Faye Dunaway radiates such warmth and appeal! I am dying to watch her in a romantic comedy on Friday nights on CBS at 8pm! Said no one ever.

TBH, Faye was pretty good and game in that sitcom — a lot better than history recalls, especially compared to Candice Bergen's first season of Murphy Brown. And WAY better than in those promos.

by Anonymousreply 141April 10, 2021 7:04 AM

r14 wins

by Anonymousreply 142April 10, 2021 7:06 AM

As I said to the respectable journalists just prior to the Lloyd Webber press conference about his Sunset debacle, why are we not talking about the Brando/Depp film that was the toast of Cannes? Why do we dwell on these enterprises which did not showcase my ineffable artistry at its best? WHY?

by Anonymousreply 143April 10, 2021 7:15 AM

Dear John was a good theme song. not a great show but was interesting.

News Radio on the other hand was outstanding, funny.

by Anonymousreply 144April 10, 2021 7:36 AM

Christ, just stumbled upon this doozy for the Wayland Flowers and Madame vehicle. Who knew Corey Feldman was in it, I’m surprised he hasn’t listed Madame as one of his abusers. The guy playing the butler looks very familiar like he’s played that part before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145April 10, 2021 7:39 AM

How about this horrible 1990s remake of "The Love Boat"? They butchered the theme song. And the show was a cheap imitation of the original, with bottom-of-the-barrel guest stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146April 10, 2021 8:10 AM

I was never fond of the sappy theme song for "Eight is Enough," but dear God, what is this synthesized shit they used for the reunion movie from 1989? (also featuring a new Abby who looks nothing like the original Abby, and Willie Aames' scary mullet). It's all the worst of the 1980s wrapped up in a minute and a half.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147April 10, 2021 8:23 AM

That’s so true. Bob Urich is the kiss of death, no matter the great and acclaimed talent he is lucky to be paired with on a major series.

An albatross.

Imagine if Brando or even Depp had done my brilliant series! The mind remains confounded by what could have been.

by Anonymousreply 148April 10, 2021 8:48 AM

Star Trek Enterprise

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149April 10, 2021 8:59 AM

I never realized they had done a reunion movie R147. I forgot that Grant Goodeve gave me feelings that at the time I did not understand. Didn't he and Janet divorce on the series? Looks like they might reconcile in that movie. Joanie appears to have become a successful actress -- who seems to think it is the 1940s -- although I guess hats did make a bit of a comeback in the 80s. On a superficial level, in the appearance crazy acting world, it would have made more sense for Nancy to make it big in the acting world. You can tell by how self-important Tommy looks with his cell phone, that he will be having some very special lesson about what is important in life during the movie. I am a bit curious why they are all carrying briefcases as if they are attending some big business meeting. Now I am kind of curious to see how well the series has aged (I am assuming the reunion movie - not well at all).

by Anonymousreply 150April 10, 2021 12:39 PM

R150 I almost imagine that after all this time the first mother’s will has finally emerged and they are arriving at the law office for the reading. There will be shocking (SHOCKING I TELL YOU) revelations in it that will shake the 8 is Enough family to its very core turning brother against brother, sister against sister and parent and stepparent against child. They will struggle to find out if 8 is truly enough or not. But in the end, one more “lost” Christmas gift from the dead mother will materialize, this time for Nicholas and not Tommy, that will right every wrong and soothe all hurt feelings.

by Anonymousreply 151April 10, 2021 2:19 PM

Wait, there was a Casablanca TV show? Wow, I always learn new things at the datalounge. David Soul was a pretty piss poor substitute for Bogie

by Anonymousreply 152April 10, 2021 4:05 PM

The real trivial things you remember . I remember a review of the Casablanca series, that said David Soul was doing his best to remind us he was not Bogie -- he did not need to worry about it. Never did see the show. As sacrilegious as this sounds, with the right cast and writing, that could actually be the setting of an interesting series as long as they were not trying to reproduce the movie.

by Anonymousreply 153April 10, 2021 4:09 PM

^^deserves to be mentioned twice in one thread

by Anonymousreply 154April 10, 2021 4:24 PM

If Tom Villard had loved Teri Copley's, um, rack as much as Jesus does, he might still be alive.

by Anonymousreply 155April 11, 2021 5:49 AM

The Addams Family Theme. So cheap sounding, like the producers picked it up on sale at K-Mart. Charles Addams deserved better.

by Anonymousreply 156April 11, 2021 6:33 AM

[quote]Then there were ones I would watch just for the intro, like Hill Street Blues. And intro should compel you to watch, not make you say, damn looks stupid af

Like R115 and R126, I started watching Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere just because their theme songs were so good.

Of course I discovered the writing and characterizations were brilliant and the excellent themes were just icing on the cake. Can't say that about shows anymore.

by Anonymousreply 157April 11, 2021 6:42 AM

Who needs a classy tune anyway? Ode to who? Not me. I want my name in the the theme song. #3!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158April 11, 2021 8:36 AM

The [italic]Will & Grace[/italic] "theme" "song" is terrible like the rest of the show. Just a bunch of uncatchy piano noodling in the futile pursuit of a melody.

by Anonymousreply 159April 11, 2021 1:40 PM

The intro from that show in the 80s, you know that one with a saxophone solo.

by Anonymousreply 160April 11, 2021 5:25 PM

R149 Was watching the series premiere with a couple of Trekkie friends, and boy did they get pissed when I couldn’t stop laughing throughout the opening credits. True story.

Here’s another shitty song from a shitty show:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161April 22, 2021 8:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!