Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are some good things about the pandemic lockdown you wish could stay and not get lost in the rush to return to normal?

Should returning to normal be our goal when? Is it even possible?

by Anonymousreply 40April 12, 2021 5:17 AM

Zoom AA meetings

by Anonymousreply 1April 6, 2021 6:11 PM

Riding nearly empty public transit has been nice -- plenty of empty seats! And I don't mind the social distancing in places like grocery store lines.

by Anonymousreply 2April 6, 2021 6:15 PM

I wish traffic wouldn't return to normal. Also, I really don't miss grocery shopping and will continue to use delivery more often than not.

by Anonymousreply 3April 6, 2021 6:17 PM

Traffic. With schools closed it's been almost bearable. The best was when we were in strict stay-at-home mode. Traveling the LA freeways was almost pleasurable.

by Anonymousreply 4April 6, 2021 6:29 PM

Work from home.

by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2021 6:32 PM

Having to be anywhere where people don't wash their bums. And that is just about everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2021 6:42 PM

Walking every day. I miss the gym but a long walk at the end of the workday clears my head and relaxes me. I would like to continue but not sure how realistic that will be.

Having lunch at home with my cat is something that I really enjoy and I think both of us will miss if I have to go back to the office.

by Anonymousreply 7April 6, 2021 6:47 PM

School online has been great but at the same time I miss getting out of the house more.

by Anonymousreply 8April 6, 2021 6:52 PM

The first episodes of "Greatest #AtHome Videos" and reruns of "Hollywood Game Night" made 2020-early 2021 bearable. All the local business (and some national chains) offering perks like free pickup of surplus healthy movie snacks, surplus diner food for neighborhoods with no grocery delivery, curbside library book pre-orders, or even prepackaged family-size gourmet meals made me believe the 'homefront' spirit of WWII might revive. I wish such positivity had.

by Anonymousreply 9April 6, 2021 6:59 PM

The businesses (gyms, cooking schools, lectures, etc.- even concerts) that offer zoom programs; I might not be willing or able to travel into DC or Baltimore to take a cooking class, but it's great to be able to take them online & I think a skilled presenter/teacher can translate what they do over zoom. Likewise, I like the option of taking pilates or yoga at home. Even a concert (like a choir) can be well done over zoom.

I hope businesses look at the customers they've acquired who couldn't otherwise attend in person (not just COVID related) & maintain in-person and zoom options

by Anonymousreply 10April 6, 2021 7:00 PM

I don't miss live studio audiences on talk shows.

by Anonymousreply 11April 6, 2021 7:14 PM

Traffic and a 3.00pm nap.

by Anonymousreply 12April 6, 2021 7:28 PM

Working from home has enabled a level of concentration that I had never experienced. I only hope it continues, at least on a rotating basis, at the corporation for which I work.

I also think the more accessible online options have opened up revenue that businesses weren't forced to imagine, or invest toward, prior to lockdown. I also hope those stick around to supplement in-person options.

I plan to wear my Harris tweed face masks next winter. They keep my face warm and add a bit of style.

by Anonymousreply 13April 6, 2021 7:33 PM

Sidewalk cafes, aka "outdoor dining."

by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2021 7:42 PM

I miss March and April of last year, seeing sweet red foxes loping along the greensward parallel to the road. They always looked so happy.

I miss no traffic and no asshole drivers.

I miss staying close to home without being considered lazy.

On the other hand, I miss my cousin Rosemary, my Aunt Nellie, and my other cousin Tracey. Fucking COVID.

by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2021 8:11 PM

The time and energy to cook healthy meals.

by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2021 8:21 PM

R15, we have some neighborhood foxes. I put out milkbone dog treats at night (we don't have a dog). Do you guys think that is the right thing to be feeding them?

by Anonymousreply 17April 6, 2021 8:53 PM

Not doing anything has been somewhat normalized.

by Anonymousreply 18April 6, 2021 9:19 PM

Republicans dying of COVID.

by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2021 9:21 PM

The comeback of the wild animals into our streets and our lives

by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2021 10:21 PM

Not having to visit the in-laws.

by Anonymousreply 21April 6, 2021 10:32 PM

R21 and not having to get together with any relatives on holidays.

by Anonymousreply 22April 6, 2021 10:42 PM

Private movie theaters. The regional chain near me had $100 deals. You could rent the entire movie theater and fill it, or not fill it, to your heart’s desire. I used this option three times. We were all masked and the chairs made it easy to calculate social distancing

The first time, BF and I invited four other couples. We sat 25’ apart.

The second time we invited eight other couples and sat 15’ apart. Guests felt inclined to contribute so we divvied it up among the employees working that night.

The third time, we invited 10 other couples and used it as a fundraiser for the nonprofit where the guy whose birthday we were celebrating worked.

by Anonymousreply 23April 6, 2021 11:04 PM

Oh, here's another one: awards shows have largely fallen off the map. Yes, they still have them, but unlike previous years in which the public was relentlessly inundated with Oscar campaigns via TV, social media, etc, things have been rather quiet the last 2 years - and we aren't inundated with ridiculous stories about how Greta Gerwig is the next Cecil B DeMille (or something like that).

I wouldn't mind if awards season is permanently dialed down & some of the shows cancelled; awards shows are more about an effective campaign strategy rather than what movie or performance is or isn't the best, so it's not like they have much real significance anyway.

by Anonymousreply 24April 6, 2021 11:18 PM

Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 25April 7, 2021 7:47 AM

Chinese know everyone hates them, and they lie low. Slitty eyed yellow shit bags.

by Anonymousreply 26April 7, 2021 7:58 AM

I don't miss celebrities. Who cares that so-and-so went to Starbucks? Who cares what they're wearing or who they're dating? Just do your jobs and fire your publicists.

I've started hearing and seeing more planes flying over SF. While I don't live on a flight path I'll miss the quiet sky.

by Anonymousreply 27April 7, 2021 4:49 PM

Working from home is a dream come true.

by Anonymousreply 28April 7, 2021 10:06 PM

Cleaner air quality, no business travel, more home time with dog and other activities to improve work life balance

by Anonymousreply 29April 7, 2021 10:34 PM

Midsomer Murders, Law and Order, and not feeling like you have to be "out there" in the world as you normally would. I could stay in my house for the rest of my life if given the option. I think if I died no one would find me anyway for about 6 days.

by Anonymousreply 30April 7, 2021 10:41 PM

I don't see an issue with the dog biscuits, R17.

Years ago our cat rescue group had a site that literally was at the edge of a bayou. Two sister cats lived there, along with a lovely mother fox and her two kits. When we fed the cats, we'd put out Pedigree kibble for the foxes and the ratchet raccoons. I so enjoyed watching the foxes.

Bless you, and thanks for thinking of the foxes.

by Anonymousreply 31April 8, 2021 3:44 AM

Getting to stay home with my pets every day.

by Anonymousreply 32April 8, 2021 3:53 AM

My rural town finally got grocery pickup thanks to covid, and I’m never giving it up! I frankly loved all the shops that let you order online and drive-up, but that has already ended where I live. I lived in Japan before, and it was normal to wear a face mask if you felt unwell (or had allergies). Sad to see we can’t adopt that one.

by Anonymousreply 33April 8, 2021 3:56 AM

I will be still be carrying masks with me after this is over. Before the pandemic, I would get sick often. At least a head cold or two per year and a few times I've had the flu and wanted to die. I now get flu shots every year but I think having a mask for crowded spaces will be smart. I don't even care if people look at me funny.

Working from home has been amazing. I like that I can go throw a load of laundry in while I'm working or take a quick break and do some dishes. It frees up my time and I feel like I'm healthier because of it. I have time now to prepare my meals and work out. It's nice not having to sit in traffic and I've saved soooo much money on not eating lunches out, not driving, etc.

And r22, several years ago I stopped doing holidays with my family when I realized they were fucking toxic. I would drive 86 miles to see my mom and it would take over 2 hours on holidays. I'd get to her house, say hello and then I'd start helping with dinner. After dinner, since no one else would help, I would end up doing all the dishes for an hour or more. So I'd leave after about 4 or 5 hours of hearing my alcoholic step father using the n word or bashing Democrats, having only really talked to my mom for about 20 mins. So now, holidays are spent either alone or with friends and it's sooo much better. When you get older, you realize that stuff that doesn't bring you joy isn't worth wasting your time on.

by Anonymousreply 34April 8, 2021 4:26 AM

Shaking hands with everyone and awkward hugs and kisses from people you barely know but feel pressured to return their gesture.

by Anonymousreply 35April 8, 2021 6:03 AM

Being able to order cocktails to go with takeout food.

by Anonymousreply 36April 8, 2021 6:28 AM

Which of the good things about the pandemic will we keep after it is (hopefully) over?

by Anonymousreply 37April 12, 2021 3:46 AM

The mask-wearing which makes it close to impossible to catch a cold - or the flu. (Both 10X less contagious than coronavirus).

by Anonymousreply 38April 12, 2021 3:51 AM

Food and grocery deliveries being left outside my door. I always dreaded seeing the delivery person, it has been wonderful to have a genuine excuse not to.

Also having a good excuse to not go to a big family gathering.

by Anonymousreply 39April 12, 2021 4:54 AM

Not having to come up with a good reason to skip a family wedding or a well-intentioned Labor Day/Memorial Day invite to a humid, mosquito infected lake house.

by Anonymousreply 40April 12, 2021 5:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!