Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WTF is "Chad" on TBS supposed to be?

What a stupid show.

And why does a female get to play a 14 year old boy? I thought we weren't doing that?

Gay people play gay people, trans people play trans people, and MEN should play MEN.

So why does a female get to play a male? Oh, I forgot. They're special, and exempt from "the rules."

This show is crap. Hope it gets cancelled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 12, 2021 4:58 AM

Oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 1April 6, 2021 5:25 PM

Who gives a fuck?

by Anonymousreply 2April 6, 2021 5:31 PM

The actress playing Chad is 39. The whole thing seems pointless.

by Anonymousreply 3April 6, 2021 5:33 PM

I thought he was trans. I'm so confused.

by Anonymousreply 4April 6, 2021 5:33 PM

This is BULLSHIT!

[quote] Chad was originally sold to and ordered for a series by Fox in 2016 titled Chad: An American Boy with the original concept about a "14-year-old boy in the throes of adolescence who is tasked with being the man of the house", with the original pilot written by Pedrad and Rob Rosell, but never went to production. In 2019, the show was picked up by TBS and ordered to a ten episode first season with the trailer being released on May 15, 2019, and the show is set to premiere on April 6, 2021.

You're right, R4.

What in the fuck is the point of having a 40 year old female play a 14 year old boy?

It's idiotic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2021 5:37 PM

That thing isn’t trans? 😳

by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2021 5:41 PM

It’s not offensive. It’s just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 7April 6, 2021 5:41 PM

I haven't watched it but I've seen the ads. I don't get it, but I thought the choice of actor/actress had something to do with that show where the gals are portraying their teenage selves.

by Anonymousreply 8April 6, 2021 5:43 PM

Even females don't want to play females any more.

by Anonymousreply 9April 6, 2021 5:44 PM

[quote]It's idiotic.

It's literal violence!

by Anonymousreply 10April 6, 2021 5:46 PM

Sean Hayes played a woman in Lazy Susan recently. That whole project seemed pointless.

by Anonymousreply 11April 6, 2021 5:46 PM

It’s also odd that SNL has a different recurring “Chad” character.

by Anonymousreply 12April 6, 2021 5:46 PM

I like it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 6, 2021 5:47 PM

“Chad” is an Arab name? Isn’t the character supposed to be Middle Eastern? Maybe that’s the joke.

by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2021 5:48 PM

There was nothing funny in that trailer. Not a good sign.

by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2021 5:49 PM

[quote] “Chad” is an Arab name? Isn’t the character supposed to be Middle Eastern?

Iranian/Persian.

See the link at R5.

by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2021 5:54 PM

Women really struggle to get good roles these days.

by Anonymousreply 17April 6, 2021 5:58 PM

[quote] Women really struggle to get good roles these days.

Bull. In this case, she (Pedrad) both wrote the role of "Chad," and is also playing the role in the show.

There's no excuse for a show like this.

Who thought it was a good idea to green-light this crap? They should be fired.

by Anonymousreply 18April 6, 2021 6:02 PM

It’s his American nickname. His real name is probably Sa’id or something.

by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2021 6:03 PM

Peter Pan has traditionally been played by a woman.

by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2021 6:07 PM

This is NOT okay!

by Anonymousreply 21April 6, 2021 6:09 PM

Non-trans women (actual women) should be able to play boys if transsexuals can play whatever gender they want. Just as non-trans men (real men) should be able to play trannies.

by Anonymousreply 22April 6, 2021 6:10 PM

Well, the actor’s not going to pube into something unrecognizable and unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 23April 6, 2021 6:11 PM

What’s that supposed to mean, r23?

by Anonymousreply 24April 6, 2021 6:12 PM

NYMag hates it

Has an adult playing a child character ever been genuinely entertaining?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 6, 2021 6:27 PM

Pedrad is not easy to look at in this role.

I keep examining her heavily overdone makeup.

It is so distracting that I get lost in it and everything else disappears.

by Anonymousreply 26April 6, 2021 6:46 PM

Pen15 Is brilliant, so this can work, but this overkill and unnecessary. And they are always shilling this during SNL as if anyone remembers or cares she was once on it. Lorne must own a piece of it that’s the only reason I can see why the hype there.

by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2021 6:55 PM

What is TBS again and how can one be expected to remember these obscure channels?

by Anonymousreply 28April 6, 2021 6:56 PM

Has Eliot Page commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 29April 6, 2021 7:39 PM

The ad was cringey. I'll pass.

by Anonymousreply 30April 6, 2021 7:47 PM

OP: What a stupid show. And why does a female get to play a 14 year old boy? I thought we weren't doing that? Gay people play gay people, trans people play trans people, and MEN should play MEN. So why does a female get to play a male? Oh, I forgot. They're special, and exempt from "the rules."

OP, don't forget that African Americans can play anyone, anywhere, and Asians can play all sexes and trans.

Or they'll burn you to the ground!

by Anonymousreply 31April 6, 2021 8:26 PM

Cancel this shit.

Nobody wants to see a 40 year old woman, playing a 14 year old boy. It's fucking creepy!

Can you imagine if a 40 year old MAN tried to play a 14 year old GIRL, in a sitcom?

That would NEVER in a million years be put on a major network.

This should not be, either. Talk about a double fucking standard!

by Anonymousreply 32April 6, 2021 9:11 PM

It really is hilarious that so many people here think that the "Chad" character is trans.

If the person who created this character truly meant for it to be a portrayal of a 14 year old Iranian boy, then she is a MASSIVE failure.

No one thinks she's a boy. Or even Iranian, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 33April 6, 2021 10:19 PM

[quote] No one thinks she's a boy. Or even Iranian, for that matter.

She is Iranian.

by Anonymousreply 34April 6, 2021 10:42 PM

Is she Iranian or Persian, they are usually very keen on the distinction.

by Anonymousreply 35April 7, 2021 12:35 AM

Chris Lilley playing Ja’mie on “Summer Heights High” was hilarious as shit.

...another character that could never happen today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 7, 2021 12:59 AM

This is horrifying. She looks so creepy as Chad. You can see years of fillers and botox all over her face.

by Anonymousreply 37April 7, 2021 1:25 AM

r29 Why would THEY?

by Anonymousreply 38April 7, 2021 1:26 AM

It's fucking bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 39April 7, 2021 1:30 AM

I hope they don’t do any locker room scenes cause that would be creepy.

by Anonymousreply 40April 7, 2021 1:31 AM

Okay NOW I want dick shots. Get on it, HBO.

by Anonymousreply 41April 7, 2021 1:34 AM

"Pen15 Is brilliant, so this can work, but this overkill and unnecessary."

It's terrible.

by Anonymousreply 42April 7, 2021 1:37 AM

R37 said it best. Horrifying indeed. Couldn’t pay me to watch one minute of this shit. I am hoping it goes down in history as a tragic failure. On the other hand, American dumb asses elected an Orange idiot, so they will eat this crap up.

by Anonymousreply 43April 7, 2021 1:42 AM

Jake Ryan is in this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 7, 2021 2:01 AM

One simple trick: don’t watch it.

by Anonymousreply 45April 7, 2021 2:04 AM

I watched and much to my surprise, it was actually good with some hilarious moments. It feels more like a Hulu show.

by Anonymousreply 46April 7, 2021 2:33 PM

Watched the first episode, but won't be a repeat viewer. Unlike PEN15, which has adults (who remain in appearance as adults) acting like teen-agers and nailing the teen-girl behavior and mannerisms, this has an adult woman, made up as a teen-age boy, acting as a caricature of a teen-age boy. Tries too hard and just comes off creepy and desperate.

by Anonymousreply 47April 7, 2021 6:16 PM

Yikes.

IMDB: 2.4/10

by Anonymousreply 48April 8, 2021 6:58 AM

Lord forgive me, but I would rather have had a series about Pete Davidson’s Chad than this dreck.

by Anonymousreply 49April 8, 2021 7:19 AM

Regarding Chad. I think Nasim playing the lead takes away some of the cringe of the lead being so ashamed of his heritage and him wanting nothing more than to fit in with the other "normal" kids.

[quote] Has an adult playing a child character ever been genuinely entertaining?

Australian comedian Chris Lilley is pretty good at playing teen characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 8, 2021 10:56 AM

Cancel this fucking shit show.

NOW!

by Anonymousreply 51April 8, 2021 12:23 PM

Proof that trying to be WOKE, can still end up being a massive FAIL.

by Anonymousreply 52April 8, 2021 12:24 PM

Even more puzzling: why is OP so invested in this show? Were they somehow involved with it at some point?

From OP:

WTF is "Chad" on TBS supposed to be?

What a stupid show.

And why does a female get to play a 14 year old boy? I thought we weren't doing that?

Gay people play gay people, trans people play trans people, and MEN should play MEN.

So why does a female get to play a male? Oh, I forgot. They're special, and exempt from "the rules."

This show is crap. Hope it gets cancelled. WTF is "Chad" on TBS supposed to be?

This is BULLSHIT!

[quote] Chad was originally sold to and ordered for a series by Fox in 2016 titled Chad: An American Boy with the original concept about a "14-year-old boy in the throes of adolescence who is tasked with being the man of the house", with the original pilot written by Pedrad and Rob Rosell, but never went to production. In 2019, the show was picked up by TBS and ordered to a ten episode first season with the trailer being released on May 15, 2019, and the show is set to premiere on April 6, 2021.

You're right, R4.

What in the fuck is the point of having a 40 year old female play a 14 year old boy?

It's idiotic. WTF is "Chad" on TBS supposed to be?

Even females don't want to play females any more. WTF is "Chad" on TBS supposed to be?

[quote] “Chad” is an Arab name? Isn’t the character supposed to be Middle Eastern?

Iranian/Persian.

See the link at R5. WTF is "Chad" on TBS supposed to be?

[quote] Women really struggle to get good roles these days.

Bull. In this case, she (Pedrad) both wrote the role of "Chad," and is also playing the role in the show.

There's no excuse for a show like this.

Who thought it was a good idea to green-light this crap? They should be fired. WTF is "Chad" on TBS supposed to be?

Cancel this shit.

Nobody wants to see a 40 year old woman, playing a 14 year old boy. It's fucking creepy!

Can you imagine if a 40 year old MAN tried to play a 14 year old GIRL, in a sitcom?

That would NEVER in a million years be put on a major network.

This should not be, either. Talk about a double fucking standard! WTF is "Chad" on TBS supposed to be?

It really is hilarious that so many people here think that the "Chad" character is trans.

If the person who created this character truly meant for it to be a portrayal of a 14 year old Iranian boy, then she is a MASSIVE failure.

No one thinks she's a boy. Or even Iranian, for that matter. WTF is "Chad" on TBS supposed to be?

It's fucking bizarre. WTF is "Chad" on TBS supposed to be?

Cancel this fucking shit show.

NOW! WTF is "Chad" on TBS supposed to be?

Proof that trying to be WOKE, can still end up being a massive FAIL.

by Anonymousreply 53April 8, 2021 12:33 PM

[quote] why is OP so invested in this show?

A better question is, why is R53 so invested in the op?

That's a lot of work copying and pasting, even for a stalker like R53.

You're quite psychotic and very scary R53.

Perhaps your should seek help for your condition. It's not healthy.

by Anonymousreply 54April 8, 2021 12:39 PM

It's not a lot of work.

You hit "Ignore" and then cut and paste.

But still, it's a show that is getting widely panned on a cable network few people watch by a minor SNL player.

Yet you really want to make sure we hate it.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 55April 8, 2021 12:42 PM

You type a lot r53.

by Anonymousreply 56April 8, 2021 12:46 PM

I haven't watched any episodes. The snippets I've seen in adverts are embarrassing. That gal who plays Chad sounds like one of the aliens from 'Galaxy Quest'.

by Anonymousreply 57April 8, 2021 12:49 PM

The deep dive exposure of OPs and anything they’ve ever posted is a disturbing trend by someone who has way to much time and that I am now worried will come after me!

by Anonymousreply 58April 8, 2021 1:36 PM

I think Op's rage is a bit off putting. I saw the add and thought it was about a trans kid. Was I going to watch it, no.

However, since Op is so against it, and it stars a 40 year old woman playing a 14 year old boy, and it's terribly reviewed, I just might to catch the train wreck that it could be.

by Anonymousreply 59April 8, 2021 2:02 PM

[quote] Sean Hayes played a woman in Lazy Susan recently.

That’s because she is one.

by Anonymousreply 60April 8, 2021 2:30 PM

[quote] The deep dive exposure of OPs and anything they’ve ever posted is a disturbing trend by someone who has way to much time and that I am now worried will come after me!

Bull. It shows that OP is way too invested to make his opinion the dominant one. A method commonly used by trolls. It doesn't make the topic (in this case: Chad) any better, but makes you wonder why someone is so obsessed with something as silly and trivial like this show.

by Anonymousreply 61April 8, 2021 3:08 PM

[quote]Australian comedian Chris Lilley is pretty good at playing teen characters.

I fucking LOVED that show. He was perfection as Ja'mie.

by Anonymousreply 62April 8, 2021 5:03 PM

I think that someone from SNL posts here on Datalounge.

Why would anyone defend this crap show, except for someone who either knows or works for Pedrad.

I couldn't even stomach the first episode because it was so fucking creepy.

by Anonymousreply 63April 10, 2021 5:51 PM

Your clit as a dick, OP?

by Anonymousreply 64April 10, 2021 5:53 PM

No wonder that person looked “off”. It was disturbing to see. Couldn’t put my finger on it but that creature is weird.

I just didn’t want to comment on it. That is a woman playing a boy? WTF????

Why?

by Anonymousreply 65April 10, 2021 6:01 PM

The character comes off as too weird. And despite the bad wig and shapeless clothes, Chad reads as a girl, which only heightens the weirdness.

by Anonymousreply 66April 10, 2021 6:20 PM

Funny, OP, I thought you freepers were against "cancel culture".....now you're rooting for a show to get canceled solely due to your hate for trans people

If you don't like it, don't watch it

by Anonymousreply 67April 10, 2021 6:25 PM

R63, don't watch it then

Are you gonna bitch and moan about The Year of Living Dangerously because Linda Hunt played a man?

by Anonymousreply 68April 10, 2021 6:27 PM

This is my new favorite show. It's weird and has a Strangers with Candy vibe.

by Anonymousreply 69April 14, 2021 5:14 PM

It's not entertaining at all, R69.

I don't know what show you're watching, but in the couple of times I've tried to watch it, I actually become angry at how stupid it is.

It's lame and it's extremely un-funny.

by Anonymousreply 70April 14, 2021 5:18 PM

So surprised everyone hates is. Watched it without knowing anything about it and thought it was funny. Found out is was universally hated on IMDB then came over here.

by Anonymousreply 71April 18, 2021 6:38 AM

Pen15 ripoff.

by Anonymousreply 72April 18, 2021 6:51 AM

It reminds me of Strangers With Candy. The characters are unlikeable, farcical and flawed. But that's what I like about it. It's dark and absurdist. You'd think more people HERE would get it. It's smart and strange and pretty good just two episodes in. Everyone overreacts to anything that isn't literal. Satire and irony are dead. It's not vomitus, puerile crap like the insufferable, cutesy, CALL ME SCAT.

by Anonymousreply 73April 18, 2021 7:06 AM

I think "Lazy Susan" is pretty funny, actually. It's a slow burn tho.

by Anonymousreply 74April 18, 2021 10:36 AM

Who in their right mind would ever believe a middle-age woman as a teenage boy? It’s preposterous!

by Anonymousreply 75April 18, 2021 2:56 PM

wannabe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 18, 2021 2:59 PM

I thought the pilot episode was ok. But, episode 2 was awful and I hate TV shows were the younger sister is set up as the "voice of reason".

by Anonymousreply 77April 18, 2021 3:22 PM

I really thought "he" was trans! Watched once, and found it repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 78April 18, 2021 3:38 PM

Has Nasim Pedrad ever been funny?

by Anonymousreply 79April 18, 2021 5:11 PM

[quote] I really thought "he" was trans! Watched once, and found it repulsive.

That's why this show doesn't work in 2021.

There are actually trans people who look like "Chad," so it would be confusing to the viewer.

Even if the Chad character wasn't trans, people would be asking "Why is this old lady dressing up and pretending to be a teenaged boy?"

It just doesn't work. On any level.

by Anonymousreply 80April 18, 2021 7:55 PM

It's not a fucking documentary. Jesus Christ.

by Anonymousreply 81April 18, 2021 11:05 PM

She looks like that guy who had terrible plastic surgery to look like Justin Bieber and eventually committed suicide.

by Anonymousreply 82April 18, 2021 11:19 PM

lol r82

by Anonymousreply 83April 18, 2021 11:24 PM

In other words, a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 84April 18, 2021 11:24 PM

The real problem with Chad is that the character is a total asshole.

by Anonymousreply 85April 18, 2021 11:51 PM

It’s so painfully unfunny and the only Chad character worth watching is big dick energy Pete Davidson’s stoner Chad.

by Anonymousreply 86April 18, 2021 11:59 PM

This will probably be canned. TBS has canned a lot of sitcoms over the years. I enjoyed the alien abduction sitcom People of Earth which Nasim Pedrad had a part on. TBS initially renewed for a third season and then it canned it later on.

by Anonymousreply 87April 19, 2021 6:34 PM

[quote] This will probably be canned

Good!

It's offensive in so many different ways.

by Anonymousreply 88April 19, 2021 10:51 PM

I like the show, it doesn't work every time but there have been numerous laugh out loud moments for me. I think a lot of people just don't get it and are taking it all too literally, as another poster mentioned. The show has an absurdist tone that is bound to confuse or turn off a lot of people, and I think this reaction by some people was completely expected.

Like others, I also don't get why OP is so outraged and invested in hating the show, hysterically demanding it be cancelled and incessantly posting the same thing over and over as if to appear that more people are agreeing with him than actually are. This behavior to me is much more disturbing than the show "Chad".

by Anonymousreply 89April 19, 2021 11:07 PM

Is this where the Chad Fan Club meets?

by Anonymousreply 90April 26, 2021 11:34 PM

Wait, so Chad Everett wasn't an Arab?

by Anonymousreply 91April 27, 2021 12:42 AM

Can you just imagine the motherfucking UPROAR that would occur, if a 40-something year old man were to play a 16 year old girl?

People would fucking FREAK OUT. And TBS would NEVER approve of that show.

It would be considered creepy, weird, and bordering on pedo.

So why isn't there the same outcry about this 40 something year old woman, playing a 16 year old boy?

Oh, I forgot. Women get away with anything they want to get away with. Fucking double standard.

by Anonymousreply 92April 27, 2021 6:41 PM

Sorry. All I see when I think of this show is this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 29, 2021 5:00 AM

I just think it looks stupid and awful. What is all this "there should be uproar" nonsense.

For those of you who watched it, was it anything less than what this thread seems to think, i.e., it's garbage.

by Anonymousreply 94April 29, 2021 5:09 AM

Tonight's episode was the best yet.

by Anonymousreply 95May 5, 2021 6:54 AM

Only gay people should play gay people? And only straight people should play straight people? They're actors. Actors act. Acting=playing the part of someone else on stage, screen, radio or television.

by Anonymousreply 96May 5, 2021 7:15 AM

Nasim Pedrad didn’t get her due on SNL. I thought she was funny before SNL became the Kate McKinnon Show.

by Anonymousreply 97May 5, 2021 8:09 AM

I think it's hilarious. The lead character is such an ignorant brat. You just love to watch him fail miserably. Like, when he shows up at his mom's ex boyfriend's house and makes everyone uncomfortable or the episode with the sword he brings to school (like, whatever could go wrong?).

by Anonymousreply 98May 5, 2021 8:52 AM

Wow, look at the SHILLS at R95, R96, and R98.

Nothing you say will make this show better, so just give up on trying to promote it.

Chad SUCKS ASS.

by Anonymousreply 99May 5, 2021 9:03 AM

I’m certainly not offended or scared of a woman playing a teenage boy like some of the rather disturbed posters in this thread. My problem with the show is that it just feels dated. I don’t mind cringe comedy but it’s not really a show about the “awkward years” when the main character is a self-centered asshole who antagonizes and alienates everyone in completely unbelievable ways. So now you have to accept the reality of this 40 year old teenager AND the reality that a person like Chad could exist. The two main jokes of the show have nothing to do with one another, which just makes it feel strange.

by Anonymousreply 100May 5, 2021 9:14 AM

I have never seen the show or heard of it til now. But I have an issue with politics controlling art.

R96

by Anonymousreply 101May 5, 2021 10:02 AM

Who is more unhinged: r99 or r99's chip on his shoulder?

by Anonymousreply 102May 5, 2021 11:08 AM

Tonight's episode included Chad's origin story. His real name is Fereydun. Best show on tv.

by Anonymousreply 103May 12, 2021 4:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!