Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Benedict Cumberbatch Says He Thinks He May Have Been 'Patient Zero' For COVID-19

Benedict Cumberbatch has opened up about not being sure whether he contracted COVID-19 and his role in a film about a man who was detained at Guantanamo Bay without charge for 14 years.

“I was incredibly ill, to the point that when all this COVID stuff suddenly broke in the new year, I was thinking, ‘Oh my God, was I actually patient zero?’” Cumberbatch told The Independent’s James Mottram in an interview published Saturday. “I was so ill — it was borderline pneumonia.”

The actor said he threw up between takes while filming “The Mauritanian” in Cape Town, South Africa, toward the end of 2019, but that he pushed aside the discomfort to complete the project.

Cumberbatch’s independent film company, SunnyMarch, produced the movie about the trial of Mohamedou Ould Slahi, who the U.S. government accused of recruiting for al Qaeda. Slahi was held at Guantanamo Bay from 2002 to 2016, and his 2005 memoir about the torture he experienced there inspired the film.

In it, Cumberbatch plays Lt. Colonel Stuart Couch, the military prosecutor who refused the assignment of prosecuting Slahi.

Participating in the film, Cumberbatch said, made him recall the immediate aftermath of 9/11 and the global environment of fear that had birthed the Guantanamo detention camp. The star said he felt “quite strongly that Guantánamo doesn’t have a place in our world,” and added that he was “going to plead” with President Joe Biden to close the prison if given the chance.

“It’s an atrocious own goal, I think, for the free world to be incarcerating people through extraordinary rendition, torturing them and extracting confessions they think are then usable in prosecution,” Cumberbatch said. “It is a really dangerous, unnecessary and ineffectual place ... and enough people have suffered there.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 27, 2021 8:00 AM

Good God, these movie people will stop at nothing to get noticed.

by Anonymousreply 1April 6, 2021 10:18 AM

What a drama queen.

by Anonymousreply 2April 6, 2021 10:19 AM

but what explains his extraterrestrial appearance and stupid name?

by Anonymousreply 3April 6, 2021 10:21 AM

So was everybody, dude. I felt the worst I've ever felt for about a week in mid-January. Could barely make it out of bed. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 4April 6, 2021 10:23 AM

Do you know who I am, R4??!!!!!

I'm FAMOUS!!!

by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2021 10:25 AM

🙄🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2021 10:27 AM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 7April 6, 2021 10:27 AM

His 'revelation' is almost as boring as The Mauritanian.

by Anonymousreply 8April 6, 2021 10:28 AM

A white heterosexual cisgender male centres himself in a world pandemic that has killed literally billions.

THIS IS WHY WE NEED TRANS WOMEN OF COLOUR PRIORITISED IN THE VACCINE RACE.

Read my article on Jezebel tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 9April 6, 2021 10:29 AM

Are you exhausted, R9/Roxane?

by Anonymousreply 10April 6, 2021 10:32 AM

Was he in a wet-market in Wuhan.

Honestly, what an idiot. I'm sure he has lots of money and it could easily have had a COVID antibody test in April/May of last year to determine if he had had COVID.

As for throwing up between takes when filming The Mauritanian, well that is understandable with the garbage dialogue and performance he was giving. He is lucky Jodie Foster's awful grey wig kept desecrating from his awful work in a film that's subject matter is no longer that interesting. The film is so 00's.

by Anonymousreply 11April 6, 2021 10:33 AM

He's so egotistical.

Even Dataloungers were thinking they had Covid back in October/November 2019, so he's not the only one.

But of course, being a "famous actor," he MUST have been patient zero.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 6, 2021 10:36 AM

Another boring, upper class English actor who is hailed as some great thing and he really isn't. All the nerdy, middle class girls get wet over him because's he sexually inoffensive.

by Anonymousreply 13April 6, 2021 10:46 AM

Benedict looks a lot like Dennis Quaid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2021 10:49 AM

This is Lens Dunham's cue to "reveal" that she's certain she contracted Covid in 2017. With the gratuitous SJW line added to mention that women of color, especially transgender women of color, must have been suffering from Covid since 2014.

by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2021 10:49 AM

Stumbled across clips from this on a TV review show. BC indeed looked about twenty years older, and now he's telling us why.

However yet more startling was to find that Jodie Foster now looks so aged, almost unrecognisably so. No sign of a vanity project for Jodie with this one.

by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2021 12:15 PM

I had a really bad case of the flu in February. I thought it was Covid but I had a test in April and it was negative.

by Anonymousreply 17April 6, 2021 12:26 PM

What is more, he was in Darkest Africa when he was practically dying!

by Anonymousreply 18April 6, 2021 12:30 PM

I wish I knew who Patient Zero were when it comes to celebrity egos.

by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2021 12:33 PM

R19 I'd nominate G.

by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2021 1:31 PM

It was me, oh how I've suffered being patient zero and nobody knowing my REAL name.

by Anonymousreply 21April 6, 2021 1:34 PM

Had Marky Mark been "Patient Zero," he would've punched that virus straight in the face so that we could all avoid this awful pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 22April 6, 2021 1:46 PM

[quote] What is more, he was in Darkest Africa when he was practically dying!

Did he see Ashley Judd there, when she had to make a 4-day trek out of "Darkest Africa" with an injured leg?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 6, 2021 4:52 PM

I knew there was something zero about him.

by Anonymousreply 24April 6, 2021 5:33 PM

Gee, what a narcissistic, fame-whortastic kind of thing to say from a guy I didn't think was, yet am not at all surprised is kind of way. Oh Actor Man, off on one of your other Acting Adventures. Where is that new Doctor Strange pic anyway?

by Anonymousreply 25April 6, 2021 5:45 PM

R22 made me LOL.

Mr. Bendydick Cumsinbatches made me roll my eyes heavenward.

by Anonymousreply 26April 6, 2021 5:58 PM

So he literally thought he had COVID and he literally did nothing about it? He didn’t get tested? Or notify a medical professional? Or quarantine himself? He just went on infecting everyone around him while he puked between takes? And he’s just now telling us...so that he can promote a shitty movie that he’s in?

He really is as stupid as he looks.

by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2021 6:32 PM

HOW IS ASHLEY?

by Anonymousreply 28April 6, 2021 6:33 PM

He's in a new gay movie based on a book by a gay author.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 27, 2021 7:50 AM

Narcissist. Classic.

by Anonymousreply 30August 27, 2021 8:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!