Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nip/Tuck

Why is it forgotten?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 28, 2022 2:38 AM

This was my favorite show in High School. I think it relied largely on shock value and a lot of Christian's sexual exploits would be routine in 2021. I thought it was a glamorous show when I watched it in 2004, very gauzy and soft-focus. They never should have left Miami.

by Anonymousreply 1April 6, 2021 3:23 AM

Perfect cast... everyone was so believable as their character’s type.

by Anonymousreply 2April 6, 2021 3:37 AM

Kimmy was the best thing on TV.

by Anonymousreply 3April 6, 2021 4:10 AM

The actress who played Kimberly was stalked, then married the bodyguard she hired.

She doesn’t act anymore. She says her husband’s never seen the show, and might be shocked if he did!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 6, 2021 5:28 AM

one of the greatest shows of all time. Part of when FX was doing stuff that was super edgy because they couldnt do R rated but could skirt it...made the show runners more creative. Great show for anyone to pick up on netflix

by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2021 7:08 AM

I loved this show when I was in college, but it did not age well for me. I tried to watch this in the beginning of quarantine b/c I remembered enjoying it and there are a lot of episodes. I just couldn't get into it the second time around. I love Julian McMahon. It's love double anal with Julian and Rob Estes.

by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2021 7:39 AM

Is it on Netflix please?

by Anonymousreply 7April 6, 2021 8:30 AM

Cuts too close to the bone for most people. They don't want to be reminded that in the long term the work they paid for that cost a shit load of money didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 8April 6, 2021 9:29 AM

It's still the best Ryan Murphy show to date. It suffered the same fate as a lot of his shows: you can see exactly when he lost interest and the show started to go downhill (the move to LA) but at least, here, he was able to sustain the quality for more than a season. Plus, it was dark, stylish, and glamorous, unlike a lot of his more recent stuff which, to me, a least, has the production values of a daytime soap on a much bigger budget.

by Anonymousreply 9April 6, 2021 10:34 AM

In Australia we all thought Julian McMahon was gay like his father.

by Anonymousreply 10April 6, 2021 10:49 AM

I think Murphy purposely keeps this and Popular buried to make what he’s doing now look fresher and not reminding us that he’s doing the same old schtick and did it better in the past.

by Anonymousreply 11April 6, 2021 11:14 AM

Isn't this the one with a hot DILF fucking a sofa??

by Anonymousreply 12April 6, 2021 11:27 AM

Loved this show to the bitter end.

There's nothing I like better than a shocking reveal, and it seemed like Nip/Tuck had one about every fifteen minutes.

That whole season with the creepy doll-faced slasher and Sharon Gless was lurid and amazing.

by Anonymousreply 13April 6, 2021 11:56 AM

LOVED The Carver even though it got a bit ridiculous at the end.

by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2021 12:04 PM

"I think Murphy purposely keeps this and Popular buried to make what he’s doing now look fresher and not reminding us that he’s doing the same old schtick and did it better in the past."

Yes, because that's something a sane television show creator would do. Only on Datalounge. Just post "I hate Ryan Murphy" and move on to another Chrissy Metz thread.

by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2021 12:07 PM

R15 Yes, I tend to hate watch his shows, it’s 2021, hate watching is a valid form of consumption.

by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2021 12:16 PM

When it was on the air, I thought this was a great show, though I have never tried to re-watch it. It was pervy, creepy, racy in ways that felt fresh and fun, and - at least early on - didn't take itself too seriously. And lots of wonderful celebrity guest stars (Catherine Deneuve I remember once!). Also - and I know this places me in the minority - I thought the kid - John Hensley - was super super cute. He even had a somewhat homoerotic storyline with Seth Gabel one season.

by Anonymousreply 17April 6, 2021 12:21 PM

Loved that show.

by Anonymousreply 18April 6, 2021 12:37 PM

John Hensley, who played Matt on Nip/Tuck, appears on the March 22 episode of The Good Doctor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2021 1:36 PM

I just got into this show after seeing it mentioned on DL. Enjoyed the first season, especially the suicide scene in Adele Coffin, and will be watching season two soon.

by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2021 1:59 PM

Hehe. Yeah, R19 I remember everyone called him "not Michael Jackson."

by Anonymousreply 21April 6, 2021 2:06 PM

That Michael Jackson-lookalike son was exhausting and insufferable and looked older than the father!

by Anonymousreply 22April 6, 2021 3:53 PM

[quote]That Michael Jackson-lookalike

Tha'ts what my friend called him, too.

The fact that Joely Richardson dated him for some time was crazy to me. He was so off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 23April 6, 2021 3:58 PM

The show started out great but SPOILER ALERT when lesbian Liz suddenly decided she was in love with Julian the show wasn’t the same anymore.

by Anonymousreply 24April 6, 2021 4:04 PM

I like it the first several seasons. It jumped the shark with the resolution of the carver storyline. Then I just watched it to stare at Christian. He was so gorgeous .

by Anonymousreply 25April 6, 2021 4:22 PM

Mrs Grubman the plastic surgery addict is my favorite character. One of the more moving scene in the series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 6, 2021 4:45 PM

I loved when Sean walked in on the guy who turned out to be the Carver getting fucked by the closeted military guy.

by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2021 5:20 PM

The show hasn't disappeared. It's actually been expanded and renamed " The Real Housewives of____________"

by Anonymousreply 28April 6, 2021 7:46 PM

Ground breaking really . Then it jumped the shark,as they all do eventually. Its was just sooner in this case. I was riveted every week,and I havent said that about a tv show in years . Except Yellowstone,thats a damn good show!

by Anonymousreply 29April 6, 2021 8:09 PM

I read for the role of Sofia on that show and went in looking glamorous (tight black Bond Girl dress, open toed Ralph Lauren pumps, etc.) I felt kind of sorry for the other actor — drab, meek, not very passable — sitting off to the side in jeans. He told me I looked pretty.

Well, well, well... that’s who they picked! And he was great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 6, 2021 9:36 PM

Julian McMahon and Mario Lopez showering together...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 6, 2021 9:51 PM

Vanessa Redgrave as the inappropriate grandma

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 6, 2021 10:27 PM

A group of us would watch "together" from our separate apts in New Orleans, and text each other commentary. This was when texting was still relatively new. Great fun! I also went a few times to dive bars, wherever a bartender friend would have a Nip/Tuck viewing night each week, and that was a fantastic (drunken) time as well. Great show to watch with others at the same time, especially if you recorded it so you could pause for heated discussions, bathroom breaks, or to mix drink refills. Ah nostalgia! This same group of friends did the same thing each week for Rock of Love with Bret Michaels. What a glorious trashy trainwreck...but I digress!

by Anonymousreply 33April 6, 2021 10:37 PM

In the early years, there was nothing else like it. Dark, sexy, sad, campy, funny, and deeply human all at once. Some of the best acting I've ever seen was on those first three seasons. They tackled very risqué subject matter that no one else would touch. They made this flawed, somewhat unlikable, and selfish people very compelling and relatable.

Somewhere around season 3 or 4, it lost something. You can feel like it switched to auto pilot with an inspired moment here and there for the remaining seasons.

I still find the Ava character from season 2 to be one of the most haunting and memorable TV characters of all time. I still find myself wondering what she could be up to these days. Then they made the mistake of bringing her back in the final season and not doing anything with her. It was somewhat fitting that she was still the only woman for Matt and the only way he could possibly be happy.

It always seemed like Christian and Kimber were the anti-Carrie and Mr. Big and Kimber's tragic send off made sense and I liked them bringing in Melanie Griffith to play her mother.

by Anonymousreply 34April 6, 2021 10:44 PM

R10 = Dannii Minogue

by Anonymousreply 35April 6, 2021 11:09 PM

[quote]I loved when Sean walked in on the guy who turned out to be the Carver getting fucked by the closeted military guy.

It was quite the pounding!

Oh, and he was played by Bryce Johnson, who was the jock on Popular. Murphy used him again on a Christmas-themed episode of Glee. He played a Santa who seduced Chris Colfer's character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 6, 2021 11:11 PM

It was ridiculous. Every attractive female who came in for genital surgery would barely be out of anesthesia before fucking Christian or Sean in the recovery room. (To test their new pussies out, I guess.)

I never thought Kimber was attractive. She had t-rex arms and yellow hair.

by Anonymousreply 37April 6, 2021 11:12 PM

I think the tragic part of Kimber was that she was always just sort of slightly above average and no surgery, drug, or man would fix that. She was so sad.

by Anonymousreply 38April 7, 2021 12:15 AM

R36, I wonder if Ryan used him on his couch.

by Anonymousreply 39April 7, 2021 12:18 AM

I love the way they just casually glossed over Ava's mother/son incest. They adopted him but she still raised him as a son.

by Anonymousreply 40April 7, 2021 12:34 AM

[quote]R17 lots of wonderful celebrity guest stars

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 7, 2021 2:43 AM

The later seasons in LA became super cheesy.

But they had so many great guest stars: Rosie, Kathleen Turner, Jacqueline Bissett, Catherine Denueve. Bradley Cooper at his hottest.

Sharon Gless gave one of the best TV performances as Colleen Rose.

by Anonymousreply 42April 7, 2021 2:52 AM

I loved the show too, but I never understood what either of the men saw in Joely Richardson's character. She was incredibly annoying and not sexy at all.

by Anonymousreply 43April 7, 2021 2:53 AM

Don't forget me!

Stranger looking than Michael Jackson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 7, 2021 2:58 AM

[quote]r42 they had so many great guest stars: Rosie, Kathleen Turner, Jacqueline Bissett, Catherine Denueve. Bradley Cooper at his hottest. Sharon Gless...

You know what? [italic]Fuck. You!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 7, 2021 3:17 AM

R35, yes Dannii, didn't last long, then with Brooke whoever...didnt last either...married again...hopefully 3rd time lucky. Still think he's too scared to come out!!

by Anonymousreply 46April 7, 2021 5:44 AM

Rosie O'Donnell hit by a dyke on bike while Bradley Cooper groping Oliver Platt was hilarious .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 7, 2021 10:29 AM

I never understood the appeal of Joely Richardson. She has none of the magnetism of her mother or sister and always seemed to play Julia as if she was a hungry, sad, neurotic little bird. You really did have to wonder what Sean or Christian saw in her. That said, she was an interesting character for the first few seasons until the writers didn't know what to do with her and gave her dumb storylines like the lesbian fling and fruit cake poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 48April 7, 2021 5:40 PM

I still have nightmares about Jaqueline Bisset’s character James murdering the nice homeless man on Christmas and harvesting his body for parts.

by Anonymousreply 49April 7, 2021 5:49 PM

The move to LA was an attempt at a reboot. It was still entertaining. No matter how great they are at the beginning, most network/cable shows run forever if they can. There's just too much money involved. It even makes the older episodes worth a lot more if they keep going. There are literally new Grey's Anatomy fans who weren't alive when the show started.

Just read today that the economics are different for Netflix. They overspend at first to get new subscribers and there's little value in continuing beyond Season 4 or 5. Might change the dynamics of how these shows operate. That's why they cancelled Drew Barrymore's show after 3 seasons which was a hit, creatively worthwhile and critically liked, but too expensive and not driving new subscribers.

by Anonymousreply 50April 7, 2021 7:54 PM

The fact that Sharon Gless not only kept a straight face, but gave her insane character during the L.A. years some dignity was a monumental feat. I'm surprised she didn't get an Emmy for it. Every now and then, the show would provide a few Emmy noms. Wasn't Famke nominated for the show one year? She was excellent during her season. Whatever happened to her? She had such a captivating presence on screen. I saw that she got some really awful face work done, so maybe that's why she's taken less high profile gigs as of late.

by Anonymousreply 51April 7, 2021 8:49 PM

Famke, tell us what you don’t like about yourself.

by Anonymousreply 52April 7, 2021 10:03 PM

It's wonderful sleezy trash.

by Anonymousreply 53April 8, 2021 12:31 AM

Because of how badly it jumped the shark towards the end

by Anonymousreply 54April 8, 2021 12:34 AM

I don't even think of this being an old show, but it's on its way to turning 20 soon and I'm surprised we haven't started seeing any "25 Reasons Why Nip/Tuck Is Problematic Trash And Doesn't Deserve A Re-Watch" articles yet.

by Anonymousreply 55April 8, 2021 12:49 AM

I’m into the middle of the 2nd season and it’s amazing that it’s retained the original music. So many other series with high end contemporary music gets stripped of it in streaming. I wonder if Murphy was good at negotiating those music rights early on, and then it really paid off during Glee?

by Anonymousreply 56April 15, 2021 11:01 PM

What I remember are the first three seasons being engaging and fun and then the quality dropping off from there. I'm now approaching the middle of third season after starting a revisit. I'm committed to get through the series, but I've realised this isn't as good as I remember it. The show is a mess. Some of the trashiest parts are beyond moral reproach. I must have gotten more conservative or I wasn't paying attention, but Matt is so fucked up. He never properly repented for hitting the girl with the car whilst stoned. And that life coach (Famke Janssen) was so dysfunctional and gross (DLers today would have a field day with her). I did enjoy Matt getting the shit beat out of him by Willem and her trans friends. The Carver storyline isn't as good as I remember it. The woman playing the detective is a horrible actor.

I think what bothers me most about the show is when it tries to be earnest and heartfelt. Ryan Murphy just can't strike the balance between depravity and being human. I used to think this was the best he had to offer; now I'm realising it's almost as bad as most of what he has done. I only like Feud and American Crime Story at this point (particularly the first two seasons). I hope those hold up if I ever make a trip back to those.

On the plus side, I love the actress who plays Kimber. I love her character. She's emotionally codependent, but she has also reinvented herself. And the actress is so beautiful. I looked her up on IG and she's still beautiful. I also enjoyed the guest star spots from Vanessa Redgrave as Julia's mother and Jill Clayburgh (RIP) as the pissed-off woman who tries to put Troy/MacNamara out of business. Roma Maffia is fun. Some of her line-readings send me.

I read somewhere that Dylan Walsh got his foot in the Hollywood door thanks to Julia Roberts. I wonder how true it is. I think it's weird that his wife's name in the show is also Julia. Anyway ... I'm trying to get through third season and I'm trying to use Kathleen Turner as my motivation (she was in the fourth season I think).

by Anonymousreply 57April 9, 2022 9:19 AM

Also, the music used in the sentimental scenes seems straight out of American Beauty (which released just a few years before this show started). Anyone else noticed this?

by Anonymousreply 58April 9, 2022 9:22 AM

It's now on Amazon Prime. I just noticed that earlier this week and put it in my queue.

------------------

Ryan Murphy's next show

It's a subject he can sink his teeth into

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 9, 2022 10:04 AM

I remember watching as a teen hoping for more male nudity but don't remember any cock

by Anonymousreply 60April 9, 2022 10:07 AM

Why was Julian McMahon written out of the lead for FBI: Most Wanted? Dylan McDermott replaces him next week as a new character. Press stories about the replacement have been very vague.

by Anonymousreply 61April 9, 2022 10:52 AM

So, I finally got to the 4th season. I'm on Episode 4. Liz' kidney has been carved out. Kimber has recruited Matt to Scientology. Julia gave birth to Connor. Sean is having the affair with the babysitter. Christian struggles with getting old as well as getting hit on by a young man. The guys sold the practice. Celebrity guest stars include Kathleen Turner, Larry Hagman, Richard Chamberlain, and Jacqueline Bisset (who all look like a million bucks). I'm loving it, which is weird. When I watched it back in the day, I enjoyed the first three seasons and I thought the show went down the hill once The Carver storyline completed. Now, it's the opposite.

Getting through the first three seasons was a slog, and now I'm enjoying the fourth season. There isn't as much sentimentality and the camp stands out more. I hated Sanaa Lathan when I first saw her on the show when it aired. Now, I don't mind her. And Peter Dinklage (I find his clipped speech intolerable when I see him act) is quite good. I was genuinely shook when Liz woke up with one kidney. You can tell the show is more expensive. The lighting and makeup are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 62April 11, 2022 2:20 AM

R10 R46 Doesn't the real life story run that Danni Minogue caught Julian inflagrante with a guy?

Neither of them have ever sued or denied it no matter how many times it's repeated?

by Anonymousreply 63April 11, 2022 2:36 AM

Still one of my favorite shows ever. I was so in love with Dylan Walsh .Hes aged terribly though.

by Anonymousreply 64April 11, 2022 2:53 AM

I loved the show and for the Joely Richardson h8ers, what do you want a wifey character to be like?? She’s kind, pretty, intelligent…

I thought the character of Christian’s wild, damaged girlfriend Gina was really dramatic and unnerving. She just burned herself out right to the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 11, 2022 4:00 AM

Over the course of the show every one of them except the little girl and Liz was either a murderer or accomplice to murder. Naturally they would move to California.

The best part was how the writers each week found a new way to torture Matt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 11, 2022 4:20 AM

Matt really was a doomed loser. Poor thing. Nothing ever quite worked out for him!

by Anonymousreply 67April 11, 2022 4:22 AM

Julian was so hot. Just seeing this thread made me think of all the times I fantasized about him. And he was great every time. If in real life he plays both ways damn signed me up even now

by Anonymousreply 68April 11, 2022 4:24 AM

Season 2 finale spoiler alert. This scene haunts me to this day. SO fucked up. The character Ava Moore is having an incestious relationship with her son, who kills himself...so she does what any dysfunctional mother would do...leave his bloody body and calmly board a plane for oblivion. Underscored by the classic "All I Know" by Art Garfunkel. Brilliantly malevolent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 11, 2022 5:16 AM

So, I really enjoyed Season 4 more so than the first time I saw it. As mentioned, I wasn't as keen on the first three seasons this time around. In Season 4, the show seems to lean into the camp whilst still feeling fresh. And a lot of the legendary guest stars will well utilised.

Now, Season 5 ... I think the move to L.A. was a smart move, if they insisted on keeping the show going. There was nothing left to do in Florida. However, it's really hit and miss (mostly miss). Oliver Platt and Sharon Gless were aces. I loved Jennifer Coolidge and Donna Mills looked breathtaking. The Bradley Cooper stuff was fun, except when they actually did an episode that was almost entirely edited as a Hearts & Scalpels show. That was painful. I can mostly leave the Season 5 material. And that's just Part 1! (I think I stopped there when I watched this originally) Part 2 is mostly awful. Liz slept with Christian? WTF? And they really didn't know what to do with Julia. I mean, amnesia? And that was only for a hot second. And they trot out the webbed MacNamara boy infrequently and randomly. And Christian faking the paraplegia. And then wearing the diaper? What?

I'll keep soldering on, but, this is starting to get bad. It actually makes the first three seasons look better.

by Anonymousreply 70April 21, 2022 9:53 AM

I got through. Its main MO seemed to be exploring the psyche of the leads and often supplementing that exploration with a reflective side-plot(s) of their patients. Whilst the show deals with some sensational subject matter few shows would even consider, that rigid structure backs it into a corner narratively. The first three seasons were interesting, sometimes fun, and mostly watchable. I'm surprised that, upon rewatch, I actually liked the fourth season best. I think the guest stars were great and real gets; the lighting that season was perfection. I also liked the primary "mystery" that season with the kidney thefts.

Like others have acknowledged, they needed the move to L.A. But the L.A. episodes comprise 2/5's of the series (41 of exactly 100 episodes), and the only things I enjoyed to any degree were Oliver Platt (including Rosie O'Donnell's return), Sharon Gless, and Bradley Cooper. They were used sparingly, but there was just so much filler surrounding them. There were times the outlandishness was still fun (like Matt becoming a mime). But one second Julia has amnesia and then she doesn't? Time has given the Alexis Arquette episode more resonance. It seems that who Arquette was playing wasn't that different from themselves. It's probably the episode out of Season 6 that I would point to as its best (now), even though it's a low bar. Regardless of where one stands on trans issues, I don't know how one could not have empathy for Arquette.

How Matt goes on to becoming a doctor (according to the flash-forward Connor episode) is beyond me. Let's see, he escapes punishment for hitting a girl with a car whilst stoned; he beats the shit out of a transwoman (but the payback was a big payoff); he's groomed by a much older, sociopathic transwoman and engages in an on/off again relationship over the course of the show; he joins the Scientology cult for a time; he becomes a meth addict after rearing a child; he goes to college only to drop out and become a mime; he physically assaults and robs small business owners, goes to jail, and gets raped multiple times. Eventually, his dad arranges for his release, but then he hooks back up with one of his abusers. I mean, I know Matt comes from a place of privilege, but he still manages to become a doctor after all this? I suppose it fits into the show's outlandishness.

But, I also was bothered by the show's loose morality. It seemed to be saying, this is the world we live in; we're just holding a mirror up. But, I don't think this series was as deft about it as, let's say, The Sopranos. We knew Tony Soprano was a bad person and he was never held up as an aspirational figure. I don't think Nip/Tuck treated its protagonists that differently, but somehow it doesn't play out the same way. For example, Ava Moore is a monster, but the show still seems to have some empathy for her just because of everything she has been through.

The show got depressing towards the end, but then it was also art imitating life, I think. Here was this cash cow Nip/Tuck that wasn't bringing in the ad dollars like it used to, which had to look itself in the face and realise that it was time to move on. I just wish it had done it sooner and more efficiently. And for padding the seasons with so much drivel, for treading around the issue, I can't believe they never had a moment where Sean and Christian have a sexually intimate scene (however they would want to write, I think they could manage). That would have been interesting, and thematically consistent with the outlandishness of the show. Additionally, it's a bit surprising that they treated Christian's sexual abuse as a kid rather superficially. Maybe the writers had something, but McMahon didn't have the range to carry it? That was disappointing, and could have elevated the later seasons.

I know that this show isn't supposed to be taken very seriously, at the end of the day. But, I do believe the show took itself seriously at times; hence my reactions. Thanks for indulging my short journey back to this series.

by Anonymousreply 71April 24, 2022 7:02 AM

The kid “Matt” I think he was supposed to look like “Christian”. He did a lille the first season or two but the actor as he got older became more freaky looking.

by Anonymousreply 72April 28, 2022 2:36 AM

A little I meant. Oh dear

by Anonymousreply 73April 28, 2022 2:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!