Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People who never look the same in any two photographs

I'm not talking about people who don't look the same in photographs as they do in person, but people who look different in every single photograph.

I have met a guy through work on Zoom -- I've never seen him in real life. I've, of course, looked up his pictures online. And every picture I've found (he doesn't do social media) has been work related, probably dating back then years.

In no two photos does he look the same. I mean, it's like he is a totally different person in each picture. I am 95% sure he hasn't had work done, so it's not that. What causes this? Weight fluctuations? If so, they don't seem drastic enough to cause a different facial appearance. Lighting? But how much does lighting change features?

I can't describe it any better. It's almost like I don't know what he really looks like.

Do you know anyone like this??

by Anonymousreply 44April 8, 2021 10:03 PM

OP if he is only taking work related photos they are probably not very frequent and people do have weight fluctuations.

Also, lighting in your average work office is probably the worst lighting you can take photos in, ever. If thats where he took those photos it can cause you to look very different. I no longer let people take photos of me in office lighting, I dont give a fuck what its for. All it does it make you look old, fat or like you have a terminal illness.

by Anonymousreply 1April 6, 2021 2:37 AM

People look wayyyyy different once the fillers wear off.

by Anonymousreply 2April 6, 2021 2:42 AM

I think the singer Prince was one of those people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 6, 2021 4:41 AM

Human shape shifter. You in danger, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 4April 6, 2021 8:55 AM

It's been said the Debbie Harry never looked the same in two photos.

by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2021 8:58 AM

* the = that

by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2021 8:58 AM

I know someone like this. Know them very well.

The photos vary dramatically.

They don’t like it because photos can be wildly unpredictable. And they can have a photo taken that looks SO different (and usually unflattering) from their perceived appearance. So they have learned to be essentially behind a camera or avoid zoom and active online situations if at all possible.

It is disconcerting.

And yes, we do consider them a shape-shifter. What’s also interesting is that they are able to easily evanescence.

It’s all rather eerie.

by Anonymousreply 7April 6, 2021 9:22 AM

r5 I'm trying to think of some celebrity examples. Prince is a good one.

I know there are more. Perhaps Greta Garbo is a good example

by Anonymousreply 8April 6, 2021 9:23 AM

After looking at some photos, I do think Garbo is a good example of this phenomenon, although she also had makeup and lighting at her disposal to change her appearance

Still, facially, she almost seems like different woman across photos:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 6, 2021 9:39 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 6, 2021 9:39 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 6, 2021 9:40 AM

We were just saying this about Matt Gaetz’s “son” Nestor.

Amber Heard is another.

by Anonymousreply 12April 6, 2021 9:44 AM

Michael Jackson looked different at various stages of his life.

by Anonymousreply 13April 6, 2021 10:07 AM

LOL r4!

by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2021 10:20 AM

r13 another good example

by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2021 11:32 AM

E3 was that “office lighting?

by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2021 11:55 AM

R3 *

by Anonymousreply 17April 6, 2021 11:56 AM

John Mulaney is a good example of this.

His first and third Netflix Stand-up specials are only 5-6 years apart and he doesn’t even look like the same person. Even his mannerisms, posture, and speech patterns are totally different.

In his second special, he also looks totally different. He looks handsome in that one.

And in every interview and SNL appearance, he looks different still.

by Anonymousreply 18April 6, 2021 12:17 PM

i see that on Grindr quite a bit

by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2021 12:22 PM

It's not a filter thing, though r19. The pictures of him are clearly not manipulated

by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2021 1:34 PM

I think he is a she, and I think she's a changeling.

by Anonymousreply 21April 6, 2021 1:46 PM

Apropos of nothing, Norma Desmond was right about Garbo.

She really was one of the most striking women to ever grace the screen.

by Anonymousreply 22April 6, 2021 1:50 PM

Debbie Harry is not a celebrity, R8?

by Anonymousreply 23April 6, 2021 6:42 PM

I've looked at the photos again.

It's the eyes. The eyes are different in every picture.

by Anonymousreply 24April 6, 2021 7:21 PM

I'm this way. Ever since I was a teenager, people have told me I look like a celebrity, but the problem is that it's always a different one and I don't think any of these people look alike and the list keeps growing as I get older. I try to figure out what all these people have in common besides being public figures of some type and can rarely make much of a connection.

by Anonymousreply 25April 6, 2021 7:53 PM

Are you a shapeshifter, r25?

by Anonymousreply 26April 6, 2021 8:52 PM

Maybe I am R26. Should I use my powers for good or evil?

by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2021 10:06 PM

Evil, R27. Definitely evil.

by Anonymousreply 28April 6, 2021 11:59 PM

Eyes are the windows to the soul, of course

by Anonymousreply 29April 7, 2021 6:28 PM

A lot of actors can be like this. If their eyes hit a light the right way or if they're seen at a slightly lower or higher angle, they look totally different. I'd imagine this would be a very in-demand skill for an actor.

by Anonymousreply 30April 7, 2021 7:04 PM

I'm trying to think of other examples r30

by Anonymousreply 31April 7, 2021 8:11 PM

Princess Diana. Asymmetrical faces have distinct character. Like that old joke when taking pictures "get my good side."

One side looked like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 7, 2021 8:29 PM

And her other side looked like this.

The cute upturned Harry side, and the more aqualine William side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 7, 2021 8:38 PM

Diana is a great example.

What about Robert Pattinson? Sometimes, he looks ethereal, other times he looks homeless, and in the right light, he can even be incredibly handsome. Tilda Swinton could qualify as well.

by Anonymousreply 34April 7, 2021 8:50 PM

I guess another way to explain it (OP here) is that I feel most people have an "essence" related to their appearance. Young or old, at any weight, in nearly any light -- the accidentals may change, but some intangible quality remains constant.

Maybe it has to do with never seeing this guy in real life. Maybe photographs -- even Zoom videos -- don't fully capture this essence in the same way that being physically present with someone does.

by Anonymousreply 35April 7, 2021 8:58 PM

Eva Gardener always looked different to me. Sometimes she was attractive an other times downright homely.

by Anonymousreply 36April 7, 2021 9:10 PM

[quote] Eva Gardener always looked different to me. Sometimes she was attractive an other times downright homely.

It depended on who was plowing her fields.

by Anonymousreply 37April 7, 2021 10:19 PM

Marry me r37

by Anonymousreply 38April 8, 2021 12:00 AM

I have that problem,and not in a good way. All my life I was told I was good looking,yet I take terrible pictures ! The camera just doesnt like me. Few and far between are the pics where I look like myself. Thats why theres very few pics of me over my lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 39April 8, 2021 12:15 AM

A lesser-known example: jazz singer Helen Merrill looked drastically different -- to me at least -- during different times of her life. (Facially, not hair or make-up).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 8, 2021 2:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 8, 2021 2:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 8, 2021 2:47 PM

Angular, concave, or "harsh" features (in my case, Eastern European ancestry) do not photograph well. I look a FRIGHT in my photos. Digital vs film exacerbates the problem - film grain tends to have a softening effect. Horrified at how I'll appear in posterity, I grew a beard purely out of vanity, because facial hair can hide a multitude of flaws. Results are better, but still sporadic. Round, soft, convex faces are much better suited to the standard/default "snapshot" lenses on many digital cameras and phones. Back in the old movie days, stars (many of whom were "interesting looking" in real life, close up) had an entire team of makeup artists, art directors, directors of photography, and cinematographers assigned to them personally just to shoot them well - and the lenses, angles, and lighting could all be tailor-made for perfect results.

by Anonymousreply 43April 8, 2021 3:59 PM

Thanks for the insight r43. I'd never thought of that

by Anonymousreply 44April 8, 2021 10:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!