Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Thandie Newton: "Call me by my name!"

Audiences have known her as Thandie Newton for over 30 years. Now, the Westworld actress has revealed that is not her real name. Her real name is Thandiwe Newton.

Newton’s full name is Melanie Thandiwe Newton. Thandiwe is pronounced “tan-DEE-way” and it means “beloved”. In an interview with British Vogue, she revealed that her name was misspelled in the credits of her first film in 1991, Flirting which co-starred Nicole Kidman and Noah Taylor. As a result, Thandie Newton has stuck for over three decades. It’s not known why she waited so long to revert to the real spelling of her name — but it doesn’t matter. What matters is that we refer to her as Thandiwe Newton from here on out.

“The thing I’m most grateful for in our business right now is being in the company of others who truly see me,” said Newton in the interview with British Vogue. “And to not be complicit in the objectification of Black people as ‘others’, which is what happens when you’re the only one.”

Newton continued, “That’s my name. It’s always been my name. I’m taking back what’s mine.”

The Emmy-winning actress has become an outspoken advocate on numerous fronts. In the British Vogue article, it mentions her involvement in the African American Policy Forum and the #sayhername campaign founded by her friend Kimberlé Crenshaw, who coined the term “intersectionality”. Newton is also a board member of Eve Ensler’s V-Day, which supports women survivors of sexual violence in Congo with the City of Joy project. She also helped establish One Billion Rising which campaigns to end violence against women. She was also awarded the OBE in 2018 for her contributions to charity and film. “We can make a difference,” she said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 8, 2021 3:11 PM

I don't think this was necessary. Thandie is better.

by Anonymousreply 1April 5, 2021 11:33 PM

Why she all act like someone stripped her of her fucking real name? She coulda fixed the problem 30 years ago. I'm calling her Melanie from now on.

by Anonymousreply 2April 5, 2021 11:39 PM

With all due respect, ma’am, I’ve got problems of my own.

by Anonymousreply 3April 5, 2021 11:40 PM

Thandiwe is clumsy. Thandie is better.

by Anonymousreply 4April 5, 2021 11:40 PM

She and her management knew damn well what they were doing by going by Thandie, she can shove her reclaiming bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 5April 5, 2021 11:43 PM

Good for her for advocating for these causes.

But this 'reclaiming' is BS. What is she campaigning for?

by Anonymousreply 6April 5, 2021 11:49 PM

R2 and R5 are right. Take a look at IMDB any time and you'll see tons of actors whose names were misspelled and it didn't stick. "Gerald McCluskey (as Gerald McClusky)" and the like. And if it was just a misspelling, that is not oppression. It was on her and her management to correct the error with the next film.

by Anonymousreply 7April 5, 2021 11:49 PM

Dionne Warrick was changed into Dionne Warwick because of a printing error on her first record. She liked "Warwick" better, so she kept the changed spelling.

by Anonymousreply 8April 5, 2021 11:52 PM

Jesus christ,could she look any whiter ???

by Anonymousreply 9April 5, 2021 11:54 PM

[quote]I don't think this was necessary. Thandie is better.

I agree. It's got and energy about it.

[quote]“That’s my name. It’s always been my name. I’m taking back what’s mine.”

Sweetie, you name is "Melanie" so I don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 10April 5, 2021 11:55 PM

The spelling of Thandiwe may be unusual when looking at it. However, the pronunciation, “tan-DEE-way” is quite nice. It's too bad she didn't correct it years ago. But sometimes we go along to get along or in her case, to make it in show business, which someone may have suggested to her when she was starting out.

At the same time, keep in mind that people like her are not unique. There are millions of people who name or spelling of their name was changed as they came through Ellis Island and other ports of entry when there was massive numbers of immigrants coming to the United States from Europe. Some people want to make it as a current day form of discrimination. But no, it's been happening forever to generations of people of all nationalities all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 11April 6, 2021 12:02 AM

Actors create stage names all the time.

Let's face it - Melanie Newton is a lot less interesting than Thandie Newton. I'd argue that Thandiwe would have suffered the problem common for people whose names are difficult to pronounce, and thus remember.

Also, she should ask Saoirse Ronan how irritating it would have been to CONSTANTLY have to correct people pronouncing your name. Thandie is relatively simple to say and remember.

by Anonymousreply 12April 6, 2021 12:08 AM

In the Ellis Island era, many people welcomed Anglicizing their names because they thought it would help them assimilate. And it was done by people of all nationalities. Scandinavians were quite partial to it.

by Anonymousreply 13April 6, 2021 12:11 AM

Jessica Thandiwe was the star of "Driving Ms. Daisy."

by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2021 12:12 AM

She never really happened, did she.

by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2021 12:17 AM

Sally Atwater = bimbo weather girl

Tally Atwater = seriously journalist

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2021 3:39 AM

Much ado about nothing.

by Anonymousreply 17April 6, 2021 3:50 AM

this is odd. In flirting she played a character called Thandiwe but they credited her as Thandie?

Sounds like an agent's idea to make her sound less foreign to UK and US audiences.

Thandiwe? Does she speak English ok would be the next question. As Thandie she wouldn't be asked that.

by Anonymousreply 18April 6, 2021 4:05 AM

[quote] this is odd. In flirting she played a character called Thandiwe but they credited her as Thandie?

Another funny thing.

Thandiwe means "beloved," and she starred in Oprah's movie "Beloved."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2021 4:21 AM

Oprah was almost Orpah.

by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2021 4:25 AM

I always thought "Thandie" was pronounced with the first part as you would say the the word "the" - so Th-anne-dee. Was it supposed to be Tand-dee all this time?

by Anonymousreply 21April 6, 2021 4:45 AM

Mediocre actress, flat and uninspired.

by Anonymousreply 22April 6, 2021 4:51 AM

Who is she again?

by Anonymousreply 23April 6, 2021 4:52 AM

It's a fucking W.

A one letter difference in her name, from what people were calling her before.

What's the big fucking deal???

by Anonymousreply 24April 6, 2021 4:54 AM

I like it! As other people have noted, the spelling looks clunky but the pronunciation is pretty. Bitch would still be fierce as hell on Westworld even if she'd changed it back to Melanie.

by Anonymousreply 25April 6, 2021 4:57 AM

She used to pronounce it Tan-dee like in Jessica Tandy.

Don't know how you are supposed to say it now.

by Anonymousreply 26April 6, 2021 5:01 AM

It's a bit late in the game for a name change.

by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2021 5:02 AM

Then i like the "old" way better "Tan-dee-way"

by Anonymousreply 28April 6, 2021 5:03 AM

Gee somebody already went thru IMDb and changed all her credits on there.

by Anonymousreply 29April 6, 2021 5:05 AM

[quote] "Call me by my name!"

Happy to do so ... Melanie.

by Anonymousreply 30April 6, 2021 5:08 AM

[quote] Oprah was almost Orpah.

Oprah never let them call her 'Gail' (her middle name). She insisted on her 'distinctive' first name and now she is OPRAH!

It's like coming out and being who you are rather than what people want you to be or think you should be. If people can announce their personal pronouns they can pronounce this woman's true name.

by Anonymousreply 31April 6, 2021 5:34 AM

This is all just so stunning and brave.

by Anonymousreply 32April 6, 2021 6:23 AM

She had potential but she never happened.

by Anonymousreply 33April 6, 2021 6:26 AM

She's on a big hit TV show and just won an Emmy a few years ago. What more do you want?

by Anonymousreply 34April 6, 2021 6:28 AM

r34 Would most americans know her name?

by Anonymousreply 35April 6, 2021 6:29 AM

r35 she's been around for quite some time. i would think most people that have seen movies that aren't just action/superhero/blockbuster based would have encountered her in a film or two, regardless of whether she is from the UK or America.

by Anonymousreply 36April 6, 2021 6:41 AM

r35 they probably just know her as the woman from Westworld

by Anonymousreply 37April 6, 2021 6:48 AM

Thandiwe = give me more roles because I'm black.

by Anonymousreply 38April 7, 2021 3:45 PM

She must have a project to promote. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 39April 7, 2021 3:55 PM

Thandie

The fireworkth are hailing over little eden tonight

Forthin a light

into all those thtony fathes left thtranded on thith warm July

by Anonymousreply 40April 7, 2021 3:59 PM

Well she succeeded in getting publicity out of the change, I saw the article in a number of online publications I read. Doubt it'll give her career a boost though. Wonder what she has up her sleeve next.

by Anonymousreply 41April 7, 2021 4:20 PM

I love that her first name is actually Melanie.

by Anonymousreply 42April 7, 2021 4:20 PM

She's 48!!!

Too old. Next.

by Anonymousreply 43April 8, 2021 12:25 AM

I’m going to start calling myself Orothyday.

by Anonymousreply 44April 8, 2021 12:46 AM

I'm getting Slavic from the woman.

by Anonymousreply 45April 8, 2021 12:59 AM

My name is Melanie, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 46April 8, 2021 1:43 AM

Has anyone asked how I'M doing????

Selfish assholes.

by Anonymousreply 47April 8, 2021 12:26 PM

Bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 48April 8, 2021 3:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!