Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Burning Man

Tell me all about it. What is it actually like? I know some of you bitches have been there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122Yesterday at 8:01 AM

Anal everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 104/05/2021

Seems like a douche-bro get together with a lot of spoiled rich kids who call themselves 'artists'.

by Anonymousreply 204/05/2021

I’ve never been, but I once worked with an editorial assistant who used to go every year.

She would then post her naked photos online. EVERYONE saw them, year after year, until someone in HR caught on. She was fired. I shed no tears because she was a squinty-eyed backstabbing bitch.

by Anonymousreply 304/05/2021

Stinky. So much in the air that assaults the olfactory.

by Anonymousreply 404/05/2021

It looks unsanitary.

by Anonymousreply 504/05/2021

It is culty. I’ve noticed that from a crew of dweebs I know who go every year and attend planning parties all year. Middle aged people, not wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 604/05/2021

It's a huge drugfest

by Anonymousreply 704/05/2021

I’ve been. If you don’t think you would like it, you won’t. If you think You will like it, you probably will. From what Inhave been told from people who have been going since the 90s, the cool factor was over circa 2006.

by Anonymousreply 804/05/2021

Lots of male nudity and homosex

by Anonymousreply 904/05/2021

It's a huge dpfest

by Anonymousreply 1004/05/2021

I think they should let the Burning Man remain and set the attendees on fire.

by Anonymousreply 1104/05/2021

It's pretty fun. You can find whatever you want there. Everything goes. If you're some uptight pearl-clutcher, it ain't for you.

by Anonymousreply 1204/05/2021

What's it like?

Like Wicker Man without the serious fun.

by Anonymousreply 1304/05/2021

I haven't been, but the Smithsonian Renwick Gallery did a Burning Man exhibit a couple of years ago and it was really impressive. Mesmerizing. The exhibit included an incredibly ornate temple carved out of balsa wood that was reconstructed indoors. You write a blessing/thought on a small piece of wood and place it somewhere among the carved walls, and after the exhibit, the Smithsonian shipped it back to be burned as an offering.

The exhibit also featured a fascinating vehicle made out of kitchen utensils, strange growing and shrinking mushroom sculptures and a psychedelic light display projected onto the ceiling that you watch while lying ok bean bag chairs on the floor.

The description doesn't do it justice. It made a real impression on my friend and me when we saw it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1404/05/2021

bump

by Anonymousreply 1504/05/2021

Are there buckets, 'long-drops', septic tanks or a sewer?

by Anonymousreply 1604/05/2021

It got too commercial. Very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 1704/05/2021

i heard it's extremely dusty/dirty and don't bother showering because the minute you step outside, you get filthy again. also bring a bike. and yeah, all kinds of sex and drug trips are everywhere to be had. Also, bring a bike. When i lived in SF, people would often post furniture or other shit on craigslist saying it would be a great addition to burning man...furniture and other stuff. who cleans up after this festival? you know no one is packing in/packing out.

Honestly, the desert is not a favorite place of mine but if they held something like this in the mountains (without the burning part, which i realize would take the "burning man" part of it out, but you could come up with an other-artsy theme and it would be cooler), i'd probably like to check it out.

by Anonymousreply 1804/05/2021

It’s all about reclaiming your masculinity and place in nature apparently

by Anonymousreply 1904/05/2021

It was over by the early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 2004/06/2021

I want to know who this guy is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2104/06/2021

It's Hunter Biden, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 2204/06/2021

Straight men take drugs and try giving oral sex.

by Anonymousreply 2304/06/2021

R21, that's one big dong.

by Anonymousreply 2404/06/2021

That woman has zero boobies at R21

by Anonymousreply 2504/06/2021

Someone post more Burning Man male nudes

by Anonymousreply 2604/06/2021

but the sex would be so "dirty" . Yuck!

by Anonymousreply 2704/06/2021

Are most of the straight women at Burning Man, prostitutes then?

by Anonymousreply 2804/06/2021

I like that the burning couple pictured have no tattoos. It makes them a hot couple. Her lack of tits is weird.

He looks like an electrician I’ve masturbated about.

by Anonymousreply 2904/06/2021

R28, I believe as there is no exchange of money allowed at Burning Man, and prostitutes get paid, there may be a lot of male and female sluts, but there are no whores.

by Anonymousreply 3004/06/2021

My friend used to go every year.- he really the boyfriend of my girlfriend but I consider him a friend..he bought a shitty RV and convince my gal pal to go and she hated it. Music blasting at all hours, pot smoke, cigarette smoke she said it was gross.

by Anonymousreply 3104/06/2021

I read in a Tales of the city book about it and it sounded fun. Any stories of the homosex?

by Anonymousreply 3204/06/2021

It's where white collar white men go to let off steam and try hard.

by Anonymousreply 3304/06/2021

Naked oil wrestling. I'd try it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3404/06/2021

Isn't it a movie where Nicolas Cage gets stung with bees and then they burn him?

by Anonymousreply 3504/06/2021

It’s full of the kind of people who live in “intentional communities”.

by Anonymousreply 3604/06/2021

It all looks so grotty and desperate.

by Anonymousreply 3704/06/2021

Nah, it's full of yuppie/techie types from the Bay Area who like cosplaying edgy alt/cool by stripping out in the desert.

As discussed above, Burning Man stopped being relevant over 15 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3804/06/2021

The art and architecture look fascinating. But I don't think I'd care for the experience overall.

by Anonymousreply 3904/06/2021

I know someone who goes. I think it peaked a while ago — but I think it’s likely still interesting. Obviously, not for everyone. I love the idea of community, drugs, fun. I do not love the dust, the desert, the b.o.

by Anonymousreply 4004/06/2021

It is supposed to be a way to humble onself, eliminate distractions and get back in touch with gratitude for life. Unfortunately, it became trendy big business and now Silicon Valley people go glamping there in energy-hog mobile homes and abuse drugs there. It's supposed to be spiritually grounding and non-material--that's the whole point of creating art and then burning it, to separate from tempting material things. It's been perverted as an indulgent bacchanal.

These are the festival's 10 tenets:

Radical Inclusion Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.

Gifting Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value.

Decommodification In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience.

Radical Self-reliance Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on their inner resources.

Radical Self-expression Radical self-expression arises from the unique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. It is offered as a gift to others. In this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient.

Communal Effort Our community values creative cooperation and collaboration. We strive to produce, promote and protect social networks, public spaces, works of art, and methods of communication that support such interaction.

Civic Responsibility We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws.

Leaving No Trace Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them.

Participation Our community is committed to a radically participatory ethic. We believe that transformative change, whether in the individual or in society, can occur only through the medium of deeply personal participation. We achieve being through doing. Everyone is invited to work. Everyone is invited to play. We make the world real through actions that open the heart.

Immediacy Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience.

by Anonymousreply 4104/06/2021

Burning Man today does not follow those tenants anymore.

Yes, Burning Man long ago followed the footsteps of the once-great Coachella festival. Now full of "models" and influencers mingling with rich Silicon Valley slime.

by Anonymousreply 4204/06/2021

[quote] Burning Man today does not follow those tenants anymore.

I hope they at least paid their final month's rent.

by Anonymousreply 4304/06/2021

Fuck this shit, you gotta use the porta johns? Disgusting!!

by Anonymousreply 4404/06/2021

r42, Burning Man (1986) is the predecessor of Coachella (1999).

by Anonymousreply 4504/06/2021

The year I was there a private jet landed at the temporary airport with a couple of “Russian hotties” who were on the way to some tech billionaires luxo-camp. But they forgot their tickets. Plane takes off again and shows up 3 hours later and immediately takes off in a huge cloud of dust. Engines probably needed overhaul after sucking in that much dust.

by Anonymousreply 4604/06/2021

Some friends go and love it. They take drugs, identify as artistic/alternative and have all had an amazing “connection” with someone there but it never leads to anything more. Since I don’t take drugs, don’t like crowds and don’t like being dirty it wouldn’t be for me.

by Anonymousreply 4704/06/2021

Doesn't fit entirely, but this is from Lily Tomlin monologue about the Beatles going to India. "You have to be able to afford things like plane tickets to India to learn how to give up material things like plane tickets to India."

by Anonymousreply 4804/06/2021

[quote] [R28], I believe as there is no exchange of money allowed at Burning Man, and prostitutes get paid, there may be a lot of male and female sluts, but there are no whores.

I'm betting men far outnumber women at Burning Man, then.

by Anonymousreply 4904/06/2021

i wanted to go 20+ years ago when it was small and it was about art. now it just seems dumb

by Anonymousreply 5004/06/2021

The idea sounds great to me (an alternative, more welcoming, society network), but why does it have to take place in the middle of a hot and dusty desert?

by Anonymousreply 5104/06/2021

Bring goggles if you go.

by Anonymousreply 5204/06/2021

I've been to smaller-scale Burning Man-like events and had fun (Bequinox). Just an opportunity to let loose and have some fun with like-minded laidback people.

Naked male eye candy and free love is a bonus.

by Anonymousreply 5304/06/2021

It all sounds so desperately 'try-hard'.

by Anonymousreply 5404/06/2021

To be fair R54, desperately tryhard also describes your Grindr profile

by Anonymousreply 5504/06/2021

More Burning Man dong.

It's nice but they look like they smell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5604/06/2021

The more i think about it, the more the dirt, dust, heat and the constant music and noise when you need some sleep would totally suck. i'd go for the meditation huts and mushroom/acid trips, but knowing that all the tents and trailers are like right on top of each other makes me feel like it would be a constant influx of sensory perception and maybe a bit too much for me. i feel like i could possibly attend 2*3 days tops and then would feel "ok, been there/done that/i'm over it" and need to leave.

by Anonymousreply 5704/06/2021

It all looks so bro-y, twee and exhaustingly white and heterosexual.

I guess if you get a hard on for post apocalyptic cosplay it' really awesome.

by Anonymousreply 5804/06/2021

[quote]It’s full of the kind of people who live in “intentional communities”.

You mean like "suburbs"?

by Anonymousreply 5904/06/2021

r21 His are bigger than hers.

by Anonymousreply 6004/06/2021

Can you go if you wear contacts?

by Anonymousreply 6104/06/2021

r56 Somehow "desert dick" doesn't seem appealing to me.

by Anonymousreply 6204/06/2021

It's addictive and cult like. I've not been (though I want to go once), but I have a few friends who are very into it. When I lived in SF, the city literally quiets down because all the tech people are there of all ages. My friend is really into it. She volunteers. It's supposed to be this utopia, but my friends who live for this scene create a lot of drama out of stupid shit. I've been to some burning man house parties and there are a lot of 50+ wealthy straight men who have good careers but like to do drugs and hook up with men. There really is something for everyone. I'd want to do what is the cardinal sin - "the plug and play camp". You can do Burning Man in luxury with tents and nice beds all set up for you on arrival, cook, etc.

by Anonymousreply 6304/06/2021

Skankfest. Slobs, sleaze, stupidity.

I’m the owner/director of a major art school that automatically rejects all applicants whose résumés mention ever having attended Burning Man.

by Anonymousreply 6404/06/2021

Yeah right R64. Burning man is an older crowd than art school applicants.

by Anonymousreply 6504/06/2021

R65 A lot of younger idiots are surprisingly into it as well.

by Anonymousreply 6604/06/2021

Just don't be a Sparkle Pony.

by Anonymousreply 6704/07/2021

Typical DL thread, with 67 very opinionated posts and I think 2 people who have been. I’ve done it a bunch of times. From my perspective, it’s just amazing and unique in so many ways. It is culty, there are tech bros, there can be drama and the dust is unbelievable. But you also get to meet interesting people from a completely different perspective to your own. People create the most beautiful art and haul it out there. They put on amazing (and sometimes shitty) shows. You can choose your own adventure and explore the event’s different aspects, every day for a week. But for everyone there, they’ve made an effort, they often make you laugh and there is something of interest. So for me, that’s what makes it great, and brings me back regularly.

by Anonymousreply 6804/07/2021

I want to hang out in the “big penis only” tent.

by Anonymousreply 6904/07/2021

I WANT TO SEE THE BURNING MAN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7004/07/2021

I've had friends who were convinced that I would love it and have tried to get me to go in the late 90's, but it really didn't appeal to me (I hate camping unless there are hot showers and a semblance of a toilet). I sort of wish I went then, but got to go to the first 2 Coachellas and some AfterBurner street parties. The first Coachella was in July or August and it was a disaster- 100 degree heat, DJ records melting, people and talent having heat exhaustion (they only allowed 1 water bottle to bring, no water to buy). The second Coachella was moved to spring, so the heat was better, and they were selling water on the premises. Both events had incredible artists and it was really all about the music.

Then I had to work a Coachella in 2014, and was surprised to find free water everywhere, but at that point, it was all drunk/drugged influencer kids who didn't care about the music. I expect many new Burners are like that- don't care about the art, just the social media aspect of it.

The AfterBurner parties were fun- because it was in the city streets, no dust to deal with. Music, fun performance art (I remember a Peanut Butter Bus that was giving away free peanut butter sandwiches), dancing, but alas, no dong show like the real thing.

by Anonymousreply 7104/07/2021

[quote]The idea sounds great to me (an alternative, more welcoming, society network), but why does it have to take place in the middle of a hot and dusty desert?

To make it less accessible to people who can't afford camping gear and RVs.

by Anonymousreply 7204/07/2021

[quote]Anal everywhere!

So, Hell's Kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 7304/07/2021

How do they transport all of that art? Some of those installations are massive.

by Anonymousreply 7404/07/2021

There was an episode of Judge Judy about burning man full of hipsters off their meds and something about a camper. I think someone had peacock blue hair. You know, because...attention!

by Anonymousreply 7504/07/2021

I’m old enough to remember the first one. The whole vibe was so different. It’s so commercial now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7604/07/2021

It sounds like a cult, a very dirty, very stoned cult.

by Anonymousreply 7704/07/2021

I wish there were a website of naked guys at Burning man

by Anonymousreply 7804/07/2021

[quote] y and don't bother showering because the minute you step outside,

I've heard stories about that playa dust that gets everywhere. And haboobs happen over there regularly?

by Anonymousreply 7904/07/2021

Can't they do something productive with all that land?

It may be dry but Israel succeeded in turning desert land into productive land.

by Anonymousreply 8004/07/2021

There's also "playa foot"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8104/07/2021

Does that playa dust get in your crack?

by Anonymousreply 8204/07/2021

I've been going every year since 1986, dazzling the crowds with my whirlybirds and selling fluorescent spandex leotards like hot cakes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8304/07/2021

R80. In a word, no. The area has open range with cattle and sheep on it, but the playa is incapable of supporting vegetation. It would be like trying to grow plants in a pot of baking soda.

by Anonymousreply 8404/07/2021

R82 Yes, it does. It’s even worse when you are naked. That dust gets everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 8504/07/2021

Why does it gotta be a burning man?

by Anonymousreply 8604/07/2021

I would assume water is highly valued there for keeping hydrated. It would require an entire lake to keep the participants clean and hydrated. Who would bring that much water to the festivities in the middle of a desert?

by Anonymousreply 8704/07/2021

I go with my sisters and nephews every year.

by Anonymousreply 8804/07/2021

At first glance it seems to be a bunch of dirty people going to a desert to do drugs and fuck. But as somebody who lives in Reno, you would be surprised at some of the people who are Burners. I've met several people who are very straight laced, work really hard at 9-5 jobs the rest of the year, then take off and lose their shit at Burning Man. Personally, I don't get it. That said, the Black Rock Desert has some beautiful landscapes. Its a shame it all gets trashed out by these fools at Burning Man. The upside is that it does bring money into the local economy and Nevada is really hurting from the pandemic shutdowns. We could have a conversation the wisdom of states with no income tax that are solely based upon tourism revenue but I'll save that rant for another day.

by Anonymousreply 8904/07/2021

At first glance it seems to be a bunch of dirty people going to a desert to do drugs and fuck. But as somebody who lives in Reno, you would be surprised at some of the people who are Burners. I've met several people who are very straight laced, work really hard at 9-5 jobs the rest of the year, then take off and lose their shit at Burning Man. Personally, I don't get it.

r89, people use it as an excuse to let loose, or release pressure, after bending over backwards to fit in (like, say working a 9-5 job which pays the bills and for Burning Man) the rest of the year.

by Anonymousreply 90Last Thursday at 12:47 AM

So they don't shower during the whole time they are there?

by Anonymousreply 91Last Thursday at 1:44 AM

Deep Douche Dive

by Anonymousreply 92Last Thursday at 1:53 AM

r91, Yes, they do- lots of RVs and bagged camping shower situations.

by Anonymousreply 93Last Thursday at 2:03 AM

commonly known as “Douche Bro Man”

by Anonymousreply 94Last Thursday at 2:24 AM

These guys do it right in an air conditioned camper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95Last Thursday at 3:08 AM

Day 1: Resting up at the sidelines of the Cum Dump Art Pavilion.

By Day 9, the mattresses and the wookie fur throws do get a bit manky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96Last Thursday at 4:14 AM

One of the very last things I would ever do- sounds awful.

by Anonymousreply 97Last Thursday at 5:06 AM

It sounds like a douche bro festival.

by Anonymousreply 98Last Thursday at 6:06 AM

[quote] people use it as an excuse to let loose, or release pressure, after bending over backwards to fit in (like, say working a 9-5 job which pays the bills and for Burning Man) the rest of the year.

Sorry, R90, if this is how these people need to blow off some steam they need some therapy. There are healthier ways to cut loose that don't involve drugs, anonymous sex, and not bathing for a week.

by Anonymousreply 99Last Thursday at 6:53 AM

What a unique observation for this thread R98

by Anonymousreply 100Last Thursday at 9:15 AM

The most popular men at these things are uncut and intentionally haven't washed their dicks for 21 days.

by Anonymousreply 101Last Thursday at 9:23 AM

You can expect to find this in the porta potty at Burning Man. Probably better to go dig a hole in the desert and shit in it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102Last Thursday at 9:30 AM

R93, there are also good portable solar showers out there now. Although if that dust is everywhere on the playa, you'd be dusty again in no time.

by Anonymousreply 103Last Thursday at 9:36 AM

I'd rather go to Comic-Con.

by Anonymousreply 104Last Thursday at 9:52 AM

The art displays and creative buildings are quite impressive I must say. How do they get the engineers and carpenters to come every year to make these things?

How does it work? One person designs something and people drive by with their bicycle and they just help building it? Some of these structures are not only huge but also very intricate. How do the building materials get to the site?

by Anonymousreply 105Last Thursday at 10:07 AM

r105, if RVs can be on the playa, so can trucks too.

by Anonymousreply 106Last Thursday at 2:23 PM

Friends of mine go every year. They often go to the orgy tents. A few years ago some of the str8 couples { six of them } went to one of the gay anal tents and jump in the fucking. All of the husbands and bf loved fucking the guys for the first time. Two got fucked. It was a free-for-all they said. If it is on this years they are going.

by Anonymousreply 107Last Thursday at 2:42 PM

But an apt one R100.

by Anonymousreply 108Last Saturday at 10:45 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 109Last Sunday at 11:54 PM

Smelly, woke bump.

by Anonymousreply 110Last Monday at 9:53 AM

An ex is a Burner. He told me on the day we met that he went to Burning Man. Because he was hot, I tried to look past it. But it was not possible. Being a Burner really is a red flag. It really does tell you a great deal about a person. And, perhaps more importantly, his friends. It lasted two years. Every one of his Burner friends was useless, witless, brainless, and dull, dull, dull.

What is it actually like, OP? 68,000 people in the desert in August for a week and no plumbing. So what do you think it's actually like?

by Anonymousreply 111Last Monday at 10:00 AM

The best description I've heard is that it's do-over for people who desperately wish they'd been cool in college but weren't.

You know, it's one thing to be naked and tripping in the desert when you're 19, quite another to be doing it when you're 33 and a digital marketing manager at Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 112Last Monday at 10:12 AM

So it's literally filthy yuppies. lol

by Anonymousreply 113Last Monday at 10:15 AM

33? Try 53. And more.

Grover Norquist is 64 and he is a Burner. How would you like to run across that sonofabitch naked at a party?

by Anonymousreply 114Last Monday at 11:59 AM

I don't see how it's any worse than going to a bar with a bunch of queens who just sit around being judgy and bitchy

by Anonymousreply 115Last Monday at 1:30 PM

They'd probably smell better R115.

by Anonymousreply 116Last Monday at 2:04 PM

[quote]Every one of his Burner friends was useless, witless, brainless, and dull, dull, dull.

Which is quite amazing since the festival promotes imagination, creativity and individuality.

by Anonymousreply 117Last Monday at 2:09 PM

I wouldn't bet on it R116

by Anonymousreply 118Last Monday at 2:19 PM

Well, we can hope R118.

by Anonymousreply 119Last Monday at 3:36 PM

Burners love giving and receiving anal.

by Anonymousreply 120Last Monday at 3:43 PM

And you know they don't "prepare" beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 121Yesterday at 7:36 AM

Safety third!

by Anonymousreply 122Yesterday at 8:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!