Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kids in the Hall Revival Facing PC Censors at Amazon

Kevin McDonald recently revealed that the cast is butting heads with employer Amazon over some of the sketches they’ve written for the new revival season of Kids in the Hall. First, they can’t be men in dresses, the characters in dresses must be presented as female. Um, wtf is drag then? Next, a sketch by Dave Foley was axed by Amazon. In it, a doctor holds a press conference announcing that they’ve found a cure for cancer but it also turns gay people straight. The press does nothing but go on and on about how terrible it is that it turns gay people straight with the doctor having to remind them that they’ve found a cure for cancer. Amazon won’t let them do it. Scott Thompson, the gay cast member, is livid. It’s amazing that these companies are walking on eggshells over the Twitter mafia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 9, 2021 2:41 PM

I think this is funny... "a sketch by Dave Foley was axed by Amazon. In it, a doctor holds a press conference announcing that they’ve found a cure for cancer but it also turns gay people straight. The press does nothing but go on and on about how terrible it is that it turns gay people straight with the doctor having to remind them that they’ve found a cure for cancer."

And yes, I'm gay... musical theatre, Follies-loving, gay.

by Anonymousreply 1April 5, 2021 9:27 PM

That sketch is pretty much a statement about culture today. Outraged over everything, not seeing the bigger picture. Kids in the Hall did an entire bit on today’s SJWs 30 years ago. As Scott Thompson said, these people have been around since the 90s. Social media has given them a megaphone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 5, 2021 9:42 PM

Scott is really not down with the entire trans kids thing and really puts the blame on their parents who want attention and/or can’t deal with the fact that their children are gay. He did this as Buddy Cole on stage.

by Anonymousreply 3April 5, 2021 9:43 PM

Chicken lady is offensive to vegans.

by Anonymousreply 4April 5, 2021 9:45 PM

[bold]OP’s article is from March 2020.[/bold]

The only thing I could find from 2021 is a very vague blurb.

[quote]Amazon Prime Video's first Canadian original series will be reuniting the cult comedy troupe for the first time in a decade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 5, 2021 9:49 PM

R5, I only used the link for the photo. The Kids in the Hall revival starts filming next month through July. Kevin did a recent Skype interview online.

by Anonymousreply 6April 5, 2021 9:52 PM

Chicken Lady loves life!

by Anonymousreply 7April 5, 2021 9:52 PM

Or is it eats life?

by Anonymousreply 8April 5, 2021 9:53 PM

Gavin is offensive to assburger sufferers.

by Anonymousreply 9April 5, 2021 9:53 PM

Walk over to Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 10April 5, 2021 9:55 PM

That’s why kids in the hall were so cutting edge and funny. A lot of their comedy was dark. Amazon is going to ruin it. I think they really need to stop rebooting things.

by Anonymousreply 11April 5, 2021 9:59 PM

“Naked fat black crippled dykes are hard to find.”

HATE CRIME! HATE CRIME!

by Anonymousreply 12April 5, 2021 10:00 PM

They might as well cancel the revival because there is no show if the censors take over.

by Anonymousreply 13April 5, 2021 10:02 PM

Naked fat black crippled dykes LOL!

This is complete nonsense. People need to lighten the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 14April 5, 2021 10:03 PM

OP, where's the source for what Kevin McDonald said?

by Anonymousreply 15April 5, 2021 10:23 PM

by Anonymousreply 16April 5, 2021 10:26 PM

This is especially stupid:

[quote]First, they can’t be men in dresses, the characters in dresses must be presented as female.

Have these people ever seen "Kids in the Hall"? Just like Monty Python, when they dressed as women, they were always playing female characters, not men in dresses. (Though I can think of a couple of rare exceptions in Monty Python.)

by Anonymousreply 17April 5, 2021 10:28 PM

Did the Amazon executives even watch Kids in the Hall? Did they think they got another 30 Rock? How can you have a Kids in the hall without Kathy and Kathie??

by Anonymousreply 18April 5, 2021 10:36 PM

but 30 Rock had drag, didn't it?!

by Anonymousreply 19April 5, 2021 10:43 PM

R15, go on Twitter and go to Kevin’s page. It was a month or so ago. He was interview with another guy. Halfway in they asked about the revival series and what the status was. The pandemic delayed things and he said that since they’re old they really didn’t want them exposed to Covid. He appeared to be only half joking. He confirmed that it’s entirely written now.

by Anonymousreply 20April 5, 2021 10:53 PM

R18, those characters are presented as women. Amazon doesn’t have a problem with that. Basically they don’t want cross-dressing jokes, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 21April 5, 2021 10:54 PM

The skit at r2 makes fun of social justice warriors, but it also points out that people who are ok with the way things are are often perverted, terrible men. That's what I love about Kids in the Hall.

by Anonymousreply 22April 5, 2021 10:55 PM

I think Kevin mentioned a bit they were doing in their live shows where they’re in wedding dresses as guys. This is something Amazon won’t allow them to do. Your guess is as good as mine. The people making these decisions don’t understand the issues. It’s like the (no doubt) white executives at Hulu removing the Golden Girls episodes where they have mud packs on their faces. They think they’re helping but they’re not. They’re being stupid.

by Anonymousreply 23April 5, 2021 10:56 PM

But I need my Cathy and Kathy!

by Anonymousreply 24April 5, 2021 10:57 PM

"Someone stole my bike!!!"

by Anonymousreply 25April 5, 2021 11:00 PM

[quote] A lot of their comedy was dark. Amazon is going to ruin it.

This is exactly why it should have gone right back on HBO.

I'm happy to see it but did they not know that Amazon would be all up in their business? Were they really their only option?

by Anonymousreply 26April 5, 2021 11:04 PM

"Lucky penny..."

by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2021 11:06 PM

Amazon is not the right platform for them. Maybe HBO or Showtime.

by Anonymousreply 28April 5, 2021 11:07 PM

Amazon, the "studio" that ended Woody Allen's prolific career. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 29April 5, 2021 11:11 PM

This is a truly shitty time to be a comedian. Nobody has a fucking sense of humor anymore. Jerry Seinfeld won't even play college campuses anymore because of the stick-up-their-asses woke mob.

It's cyclical, though. I feel we're coming to the end of this SJW period. It's starting to become a parody of itself.

by Anonymousreply 30April 5, 2021 11:17 PM

"I think Kevin mentioned a bit they were doing in their live shows where they’re in wedding dresses as guys. This is something Amazon won’t allow them to do."

When are these idiots going to understand that "DRESS = WOMAN" is anything but progressive?

by Anonymousreply 31April 5, 2021 11:18 PM

R31, THANK YOU.

You’re not a real woman unless you’re in a dress, lipstick and fuck-me pumps, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 32April 5, 2021 11:28 PM

I just started watching the show thanks to this thread. The Kathy and Cathy sketchs are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 33April 5, 2021 11:56 PM

I was about to say that they should go back to HBO! I want to see that cancer sketch and I loved when they did drag. Their office ladies sketches were the best.

by Anonymousreply 34April 6, 2021 12:26 AM

Feel the power of the suburbs!

by Anonymousreply 35April 6, 2021 12:33 AM

One presumes Scott visits us often here.

by Anonymousreply 36April 6, 2021 1:00 AM

I would’ve thought that HBO max would’ve jumped at this show. I’m happy to see them performing again. I know some of them are hurting financially. But I hate to see them censored. It was such a good show. I remember staying up late to watch it on HBO.

by Anonymousreply 37April 6, 2021 1:17 AM

Amazon needs to fire their executives in charge of this production for incompetence.

by Anonymousreply 38April 6, 2021 1:26 AM

But Buddy would be fine right?

by Anonymousreply 39April 6, 2021 1:30 AM

Brain Candy is one of the best movies ever ! Ive seen it 100 times,and laugh out loud each viewing. I will watch cause I love them,but it will be interesting to see how they play it as 30 years older.

by Anonymousreply 40April 6, 2021 1:34 AM

Cathy and Kathy and the rest of the office ladies were such brilliant sketches.

by Anonymousreply 41April 6, 2021 1:36 AM

[quote]Naked fat black crippled dykes are hard to find.

😂😂😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 42April 6, 2021 1:45 AM

Good. Canada is a product of imperialism.

by Anonymousreply 43April 6, 2021 1:46 AM

Everywhere is a product of imperialism.

by Anonymousreply 44April 6, 2021 1:48 AM

[quote]but 30 Rock had drag, didn't it?!

Yes! Most notably, Jenna's boyfriend, Paul. Best B-plot of the series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 6, 2021 1:49 AM

[quote]Yes! Most notably, Jenna's boyfriend, Paul. Best B-plot of the series.

On one hand, Paul only did drag of Jenna so the joke was the only person she could date and marry was herself.

On the other hand, you could never make 30 Rock the way it was today. It still gets ripped to shreds once a year for stuff it did YEARS ago.

[quote] Outraged over everything, not seeing the bigger picture. Kids in the Hall did an entire bit on today’s SJWs 30 years ago.

And they're not going anywhere. That sketch took me right back to college where we had one of them, a lesbian, who would loudly cuss out anyone who said anything that no one else considered slightly off color. She had the power to turn everything into an argument.

Some SJW stuff is good, like that campaign to get kids to stop calling everything "gay" and also to stop calling other kids "faggot" but a lot of it doesn't make any sense at all. The KITH, as women when necessary, should remain. It's established. They were always fully committed to the bits and they had little to do with the fact that they were men dressed as women. Goodness!

by Anonymousreply 46April 6, 2021 2:09 AM

Paul: Paul L'Astname. I'm Jenna's boyfriend. Jack: Oh, I've heard a lot about you, Paul. Paul: Well, it's all true. I'm a native of Houston and I love to cook healthy.

by Anonymousreply 47April 6, 2021 2:13 AM

All the girls wanna know who is the cutest guy on death row?

by Anonymousreply 48April 6, 2021 2:17 AM

The KITH guys did some of the best passing drag I’ve ever seen. It’s not that they looked like women exactly (though everyone knows Dave would totally pass) it’s that the characterization of their women was so sharp and well observed. They totally understood female socialization.

by Anonymousreply 49April 6, 2021 2:29 AM

R49, this is one of my favourite skits, too bad the quality isn't great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 6, 2021 2:34 AM

Salty bloody ham

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 6, 2021 2:51 AM

I'm puzzled as to why they agreed to work with Amazon. HBO or Netflix would have been more appropriate for their brand of comedy.

by Anonymousreply 52April 6, 2021 3:00 AM

do we know if HBO or Netflix made an offer?

by Anonymousreply 53April 6, 2021 3:06 AM

They played women so convincingly. My favorite office ladies sketch...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 6, 2021 3:12 AM

I'm not gonna spread for no Rho-ses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 6, 2021 3:13 AM

Just one of my favorites. The cheesecake skit. Crying from laughing so hard the first time I saw it. Kids in the hall won’t be the same without these girls.😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 6, 2021 3:33 AM

[quote]Dave Foley

Mmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 57April 6, 2021 4:54 AM

Get mad at your heroes in Kids in the Hall if you're so upset about this. They're the ones who wanted the cash so badly they signed on with a company that had editorial say in what they could do.

by Anonymousreply 58April 6, 2021 5:06 AM

[quote]Some SJW stuff is good, like that campaign to get kids to stop calling everything "gay" and also to stop calling other kids "faggot" but a lot of it doesn't make any sense at all. The KITH, as women when necessary, should remain.

I didn't expect someone to just flat-out state that "SJW stuff to get rid of homophobia is good, SJW stuff about every other bigotry is bad."

by Anonymousreply 59April 6, 2021 5:08 AM

Their skits were far weirder and quirkier than US counterpart SNL. Some skits missed the mark completely, but you had to respect that they were far more creative than SNL’s writers overall. Loved the skits where they played women because they took their roles seriously so it wasn’t a gross caricature or them making fun of women—it was more endearing.

by Anonymousreply 60April 6, 2021 5:12 AM

Ditch Amazon and go elsewhere, or produce the web series by itself.

by Anonymousreply 61April 6, 2021 5:43 AM

Thirty Helens Agree:

IT'S A FACT!

by Anonymousreply 62April 6, 2021 5:53 AM

Love these guys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 6, 2021 6:06 AM

Scott Thompson was so great at playing fraus.

by Anonymousreply 64April 6, 2021 6:20 AM

KitH was different from SNL, but they both were part of a backlash to what Dataloungers call "PC" or "SJW" culture.

In the 1970s, it was edgy to be racist. SNL had an infamous sketch called "Word Association" with Chevy Chase calling Richard Pryor's character a series of racist words until it escalated to the n-word.

The 1990s had a pretty sizeable anti-PC backlash from GenXers and Boomers who missed the 1970s, so you got South Park and KitH and The Man Show and such, but by the 1990s, you couldn't have a skit where a white person called a black person the n-word. Some stuff was still okay -- see Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon both in blackface in 2000 -- but there were limits, because times had changed.

The same thing is happening now to KitH. That's how it works. They're only getting a reboot because of the people who still think racism and sexism and homophobia is so, like, edgy & funny, you guys, but they can't cater only to that small demographic, not unless they don't like cash.

And they wouldn't be doing this if they didn't like cash. Getting paid is their goal here. That means they have to tailor what they do to the year 2021.

They'll bitch and moan about it and cry that they're being oppressed, but they're not being oppressed, they're virtue signalling, REAL virtue signalling, not the catchphrase used in rightwing propaganda. KitH are using the press to let a very specific group of people know that they WANT to be the way they were 25 years ago but THE MAN won't let them, it's a sign that the world is, like, falling apart, but just TRUST that they're the same as they were so please, make sure you give them your money.

by Anonymousreply 65April 6, 2021 7:40 AM

R65 but their comedy WASN’T wholly reliant on racism/homophobia/etc. Did you watch the KITH? Some of it was just weird and out there, some of it was social commentary, and then another portion was offensive territory if we look back on it now. But not the majority.

I don’t know what Kevin said in the interview, so maybe you have context that I don’t?

by Anonymousreply 66April 6, 2021 5:11 PM

[quote]Chicken Lady loves life!

Straight from my body to your plate.

by Anonymousreply 67April 6, 2021 5:21 PM

[quote] The same thing is happening now to KitH. That's how it works. They're only getting a reboot because of the people who still think racism and sexism and homophobia is so, like, edgy & funny, you guys, but they can't cater only to that small demographic, not unless they don't like cash.

WTF are you talking about??!! Kids in the Hall was the most pro-gay, pro-woman, non-racist show on the planet. Your mother should have swallowed. Fucking retard.

by Anonymousreply 68April 6, 2021 5:44 PM

[quote] I don’t know what Kevin said in the interview, so maybe you have context that I don’t?

What I wrote is exactly what he said. He explained some trouble they were having with some of the sketches and Amazon not letting them do them.

by Anonymousreply 69April 6, 2021 5:45 PM

R58/R65 = same retard who needs to be flushed from this site.

by Anonymousreply 70April 6, 2021 5:45 PM

[quote] I'm puzzled as to why they agreed to work with Amazon. HBO or Netflix would have been more appropriate for their brand of comedy.

Here’s what happened:

About two years ago Kevin said that Lorne Michaels approached them about rebooting the show. It turned out that he made the entire thing up. Then, as luck would have it, Lorne heard what he said and was interested in the idea of bringing the show back. Amazon, which is now worldwide with its streaming service made the offer. If it hadn’t been for Kevin’s quote, the reboot probably would have never happened - meaning, no services out there were clamoring to have it return. Lorne was the one who got the original show on the air. He has clout. He probably took Amazon up on the offer or knew people there. Kids in the Hall still has a massive fan base.

by Anonymousreply 71April 6, 2021 5:50 PM

I found Buddy gross but I loved Scott's purse clutching Frau timidly entering her first gay bar.

by Anonymousreply 72April 6, 2021 8:10 PM

Scott Thompson as the Queen was always very funny. And he looked so much like her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 6, 2021 8:35 PM

I didn't say it was wholly reliant on racism etc. r66, and I don't know why you think I did.

by Anonymousreply 74April 6, 2021 8:38 PM

Just shut up r74 you fucking retard

by Anonymousreply 75April 6, 2021 8:39 PM

[quote] same retard who needs to be flushed from this site

You're constantly posting racebait threads and rightwing bullshit about how the COVID vaccines are unreliable. If there's any shit that needs to be flushed, it's yours.

by Anonymousreply 76April 6, 2021 8:40 PM

[quote]Some SJW stuff is good, like that campaign to get kids to stop calling everything "gay" and also to stop calling other kids "faggot" but a lot of it doesn't make any sense at all. The KITH, as women when necessary, should remain.

Then R59 said,

[quote]I didn't expect someone to just flat-out state that "SJW stuff to get rid of homophobia is good, SJW stuff about every other bigotry is bad."

Which is a wacko interpretation of that original sentence because they obviously have some trauma they're working through.

It just reminds me of this bit from 30 Rock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 6, 2021 8:56 PM

Hmm no, the person quoted does say "Some SJW stuff is good, like the gay/faggot stuff, but a lot of SJW stuff doesn't make sense," r77. That's a pretty accurate summary of what they said. Or should I say what "you" said? You're probably r46 yourself.

by Anonymousreply 78April 6, 2021 9:08 PM

[quote]Hmm no, the person quoted does say "Some SJW stuff is good, like the gay/faggot stuff, but a lot of SJW stuff doesn't make sense," r77. That's a pretty accurate summary of what they said. Or should I say what "you" said? You're probably r46 yourself.

Did I say it wasn't?

Anyway --

I said, "Some SJW is good like this ___ and some of it doesn't make sense."

Your psycho ass said, "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ONLY SUPPORT SJWS WHEN THEY'RE GETTING RID OF HOMOPHOBIA!!!!"

"Some" is not the same as "ALL" or did you not learn that in 1st grade?

It doesn't matter what you meant, you are still the exact person Tina is talking about.

I'm gonna mute you then let you go back on your way to crazy balls town.

by Anonymousreply 79April 6, 2021 9:16 PM

R49 I had to google to confirm if Tanya the Temp was a woman or a man. Like you said, they don’t so much look like woman as they really act like them.

You would like Drag Race Canada would try and get them on, at least as guest judges.

by Anonymousreply 80April 6, 2021 9:17 PM

I'm not the poster you're mad at r79. You can put me on ignore but it won't ignore the person you're having a conniption fit about.

by Anonymousreply 81April 6, 2021 9:20 PM

Isn't the Party Creep who buys a joint and saves it for later and asks host Dave to turn down the music and announce someone stole her bike also Tonya? Same actor Mark of course but is she the same as in the office?

by Anonymousreply 82April 6, 2021 11:52 PM

I may be gay, but I'll never get to be Canadian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 7, 2021 4:29 PM

Brain Candy was a masterpiece of comedy.

by Anonymousreply 84April 7, 2021 4:34 PM

OP is probably a Republican who wants to ban porn from people's phone

They rant against "politically correct censorship" but want to ban anything they think is "sinful"

by Anonymousreply 85April 7, 2021 4:36 PM

Where is r2's rant against Republicans in Utah trying to ban porn?

So-called SJWs are the reason gay people are treated like human beings. Conservatives fought gay rights every step of the way

by Anonymousreply 86April 7, 2021 4:38 PM

Just scratch the idea. Go somewhere else. Go to some conservative channel, I’ll watch you over there.

by Anonymousreply 87April 7, 2021 4:54 PM

R85 calling the cast of Kids in the Hall Republicans is hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 88April 7, 2021 5:16 PM

[quote] So-called SJWs are the reason gay people are treated like human beings.

No, dear. SJWs are hypocrites. They’re not what you think they are. They’re armchair complainers.

by Anonymousreply 89April 7, 2021 5:17 PM

[quote]calling the cast of Kids in the Hall Republicans is hysterical.

Their humor would be by today’s standards. Sad, isn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 90April 7, 2021 5:18 PM

Oh, R85 and R86 are the same abortion. Ignore.

by Anonymousreply 91April 7, 2021 5:18 PM

What I would give for an HBO edition of KiTH...

by Anonymousreply 92April 7, 2021 5:25 PM

R51 BASTARD HAM!!!! I say it every night I wake up dehydrated

by Anonymousreply 93April 7, 2021 10:49 PM

I agree that trans people should not be mocked, contrary to what the transphobs on DL say. But, they don’t play trans characters, they play woman. If Drag Race can do it, KITH can.

by Anonymousreply 94April 7, 2021 11:14 PM

I love Fran and Gordon.

by Anonymousreply 95April 8, 2021 12:49 AM

I saw them live when they were on tour a few years ago. The show opens up with all of them in wedding dresses and they exclaim in unison: “we are men in wedding dresses!” And the bit goes on from there, about how it affects their lives and how they wear them for all the men who want to, but can’t. It was amazing.

If that was their opening act for this new show as well, it means the censors were on them right out of the gate.

I agree that HBO or Netflix would have been a better fit - less restrictions.

by Anonymousreply 96April 9, 2021 2:04 PM

[quote]Kids in the hall won’t be the same without these girls.

They won't be without those girls. Re-read the links and comments here. C&K and most of their skits present women as women, not men in drag or making fun of trans etc.

by Anonymousreply 97April 9, 2021 2:37 PM

Where is the link to what OP is claiming in his post?

by Anonymousreply 98April 9, 2021 2:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!