Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Of the 4 remaining daytime network soaps...

..which 1 do you want to be the last one to sign off?

by Anonymousreply 60May 31, 2021 3:00 AM

When Will and Sonny left "Days" for Arizona, I stopped watching.

by Anonymousreply 1April 5, 2021 4:51 PM

DOOL because the writing is horrific. How many times can you have someone kidnapped? How many times can you bring people back from the dead?

There is no surprise element. You know that each time someone confides or shares plot altering information and the door is open behind them that someone is going to walk in. They never disappoint. As a result it is predictable and trite.

I watched for decades but it has become an endurance test replete with fast-forward and often just skipping it entirely.

It's too bad too because it was once a very well written show with some fascinating characters, well played. The cut in cast members means the same thing happens to the same people, over and over. Hitting us over the head with Ben and Ciara will not turn them into a "super couple". The show needs to stop while there is a modicum of goodwill left.

by Anonymousreply 2April 5, 2021 5:44 PM

[quote] DOOL

DOOL?

by Anonymousreply 3April 5, 2021 5:55 PM

MURIEL!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4April 5, 2021 5:56 PM

DOOL - Days of Our Lives

by Anonymousreply 5April 5, 2021 6:03 PM

[quote] DOOL - Days of Our Lives

Ah, DOOL.

by Anonymousreply 6April 5, 2021 6:35 PM

Bring our sister Susan Flannery back to "B&B" and I'll watch again. She was wonderful as Stephanie.

by Anonymousreply 7April 6, 2021 12:02 AM

Are there any lezzzies left in daytime?

by Anonymousreply 8April 6, 2021 12:04 AM

I agree about Susan Flannery. Brilliant actress and a force of nature and always compelling to watch.

by Anonymousreply 9April 6, 2021 12:10 AM

Rumor is Vincent Irizarry will be bringing Dr. David Hayward to GH. Is that happening? He and Finola had terrific chemistry on AMC all those years ago.

by Anonymousreply 10April 6, 2021 3:07 AM

I haven't watched any in years, but I suspect The Bold & The Beautiful will be the last one standing. Why? It's cheaper to produce than the others and has a big following still in parts of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 11April 6, 2021 3:15 AM

All the good soaps were canceled.

by Anonymousreply 12April 6, 2021 3:16 AM

The Stephanie/Brooke feud was the best part of B&B. When Flannery left, it was no longer fun or interesting.

by Anonymousreply 13April 6, 2021 3:17 AM

Another World was the last interesting soap.

by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2021 3:19 AM

B&B dates in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2021 3:19 AM

Vincent Irizarry probably very much wants to work on GH as he now needs the money to pay for bail/legal fees for his domestic terrorist son's involvement at the Capital on Jan 6

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2021 4:02 AM

Irizarry always came across as smug to me. Not surprised he and his son are deplorables. His looks are going fast too.

by Anonymousreply 17April 6, 2021 4:11 AM

Is he a deplorable too?

by Anonymousreply 18April 6, 2021 4:14 AM

R18 I believe he is. He follows quite a bit of Republican politicians, talking heads and news accounts on Twitter. He made his account private after his sons arrest though.

by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2021 4:23 AM

Days, because it is the Cockroach of daytime TV. It's been in the ratings basement for over a decade, yet it still survives.

by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2021 4:31 AM

Why so many Rethugs in soaps? It's sad.

I used to loathe Eric Braeden but I love how he trashes Trump on his Twitter. Of course, Victor Newman would have hated Trump anyway because he would be a threat.

by Anonymousreply 21April 6, 2021 4:36 AM

[quote] Days Of Our Lives

[quote] DOOL

Who is top billed on that program?

by Anonymousreply 22April 6, 2021 4:37 AM

Days survives because its 18-49 demos are competitive with the other three soaps, and its on less than a shoe-string budget.

by Anonymousreply 23April 6, 2021 4:41 AM

R21

Eric Braeden has been a longtime outspoken liberal.

I can never completely hate Victor because I like Braeden.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 6, 2021 4:48 AM

I believe Susan Lucci is a registered Republican.

by Anonymousreply 25April 6, 2021 5:03 AM

R25

She is.

by Anonymousreply 26April 6, 2021 5:06 AM

Suzi Rogers is top billed, but Dee Dee Halls in the nominal star.

by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2021 5:17 AM

Is Dee Dee Hall a repub? Didn't she refuse to wear an AIDS ribbon at some awards show a few years back? Doesn't sound too liberal to me.

by Anonymousreply 28April 6, 2021 5:42 AM

Breast cancer, R28

by Anonymousreply 29April 6, 2021 5:43 AM

Days is the only one I still find to be watchable. Y&R has become trash. There is no point of B&B without Susan Flannery. I never liked GH. Days, within the obvious budgetary constraints, still manages to be interesting and does the best job of mixing old and new characters.

by Anonymousreply 30April 6, 2021 5:51 AM

It’s fucking stupid to offer a choice of not watching any soaps. Jesus Fucking Christ.

by Anonymousreply 31April 6, 2021 6:12 AM

R31 Sounds like this thread just wasn't meant for you.

by Anonymousreply 32April 6, 2021 4:53 PM

Not only is SL a republican R25 when a fellow soap actress asked her to be

a part of a pro choice event Susan hung up on her after she asked.

by Anonymousreply 33April 6, 2021 4:55 PM

The Linda Dano thread has been Murieled.

by Anonymousreply 34April 6, 2021 4:59 PM

Link, please, r33. I highly doubt Susan would hang up on anyone, and I highly doubt she is anti-choice, given how glowingly and proudly she speaks about Erica being the first character in daytime to have a legal abortion. Please spread your nonsense somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 35April 6, 2021 5:26 PM

[quote] Susan hung up on her after she asked.

Did she refuse to wear a ribbon?

by Anonymousreply 36April 6, 2021 5:37 PM

[quote] So much for her nice friendly persona

Slaughtering babies is so nice and friendly.

by Anonymousreply 37April 6, 2021 5:41 PM

Help me understand why Miss Leslie Charleson is not top-billed at GH. She has the longest continuous role of any cast member.

by Anonymousreply 38April 6, 2021 5:49 PM

R35 I tried to find the soap actress who revealed the story but couldn't find her or the soap opera group that was formed.

I watched ATWT, Passions, DOOL & Sunset B. & don't recall any of those actresses being the storyteller (I read about this story over 5 years ago & it may have been around the time Lucci's AMC character's abortion was rewritten as not taking place).

Can anyone list some vocal pro choice soap opera actresses? I'm drawing a blank right now.

by Anonymousreply 39April 6, 2021 5:52 PM

R13 did Brooke rip-off Stephanie's wig in a fight?

by Anonymousreply 40April 6, 2021 10:06 PM

I don't buy Lucci hanging up on them. That doesn't sound like her at all. Even though I don't agree with her political leanings, she has a great reputation in the business. I could see her not doing it because it potentially alienating conservative fans (and that seems to be the majority of soap opera fans). She is very image conscious and never says anything too controversial.

by Anonymousreply 41April 6, 2021 10:56 PM

I agree -- Susan doesn't seem the type to do that. She seems to keep her political affiliations neutral. She does seem very well liked in the business. Only her tension with Sarah Michelle Gellar seems to be the only blip. When she won the Emmy you could feel the love and joy in that room. Oprah, Rosie, her peers...

[quote] did Brooke rip-off Stephanie's wig in a fight?

Haha I don't think so. I think Flannery was much like Braeden in that she got final say, though not sure how true that is. Flannery was always very complimentary of Katherine Kelly Lang when she won her various Emmy awards.

by Anonymousreply 42April 7, 2021 12:22 AM

I want to buy a luscious Sue Flannery wig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 7, 2021 2:18 AM

R43, was she a lez?

by Anonymousreply 44April 7, 2021 3:07 AM

Lucci is a very kind and politically neutral person, and always so in control. Did anyone catch Miss Locher's tribute to Agnes Nixon? Susan, as she always has, talked glowingly about Agnes. However, you could practically see the tension in her face when Peter Bergman, Darnell Williams, and Debbi Morgan made some lovingly snarky comments about her. I don't think Lucci was expecting anything less than a 100% glowing tribute.

by Anonymousreply 45April 7, 2021 3:15 AM

Flannery is such a ham, in the spirit of Jeanne Cooper. She's basically Erika Slezak in flannel with a tool belt.

by Anonymousreply 46April 7, 2021 3:48 AM

If Bev McKinsey were still alive, do you think one of the remaining four shows would've snapped her up? She's be 85, so it's possible she'd be able to appear every now and then like Bill Hayes.

by Anonymousreply 47April 7, 2021 5:30 PM

Cancel Bold and the Beautiful and General Hospital.

by Anonymousreply 48April 7, 2021 5:44 PM

The Staff seems irrelevant on Y&R. Griffith is wasting her. Bring her back to GH and get rid of Nurse Dutton.

by Anonymousreply 49April 7, 2021 5:48 PM

R38 Leslie has not been on contract with GH since 2010. It's unfortunate because with four Emmy nominations and her strong standing in the soap world, you'd think she'd get more recognition.

She was very vocal about her displeasure when Anna Lee was taking off of contract, basically accusing the people in charge of sending Anna to an early grave because of the loss of her medical insurance. In 2012, she had a great deal more air time especially after John Ingle passed away because they had just brought AJ back.

Now she has spans where she's on quite a bit and spans when she's not, sometimes gone because of health issues and sometimes because she takes time off to go to horse shows. I do see that she is in the opening credits on occasion so that is a good thing. While she may not be a traditional matriarch, she is still my favorite character on that show, and I got addicted because of her and Alan and the Quartermanis, not Luke and Laura.

by Anonymousreply 50April 7, 2021 5:51 PM

According to the prophecies of Nostradamus, the three networks will collude and form a pact so that the last four soaps all sign off the same day.

by Anonymousreply 51May 30, 2021 8:14 PM

Was it Nostradamus, R51, or was it Miss Cleo while drunk?

by Anonymousreply 52May 30, 2021 8:27 PM

Dumb Dylan at SON says the 4 soaps will last for DECADES

by Anonymousreply 53May 31, 2021 12:30 AM

Even though there's a huge HH ratings gap between Y&R and Days, the 18-49 demos for all 4 shows, which is all anyone cares about, are practically identical, so it'll be anyone's guess who goes first. My gut tells me that GH will be the last one standing, mostly because it's probably the cheapest to produce. The network owns it, while CBS and NBC have to pay licensing fees for their soaps.

by Anonymousreply 54May 31, 2021 12:54 AM

I would love the irony of Days being the last one standing, but it will probably be B&B.

IMO, the only thing keeping GH on the air is Days. I think when Days goes, GH will go next, then Y&R because Sony has already cut the Y&R budget so much that the #1 show doesn't look any better, production wise, than Days which has almost no budget. Sony will then be out of Soaps, leaving B&B which will probably go online because of the foreign revenue.

by Anonymousreply 55May 31, 2021 12:59 AM

Brad Bell has said that the foreign popularity of B&B does not factor into its survival. I think it and Y&R will go around the same time, just like sister shows AMC and OLTL did. Days is like watching a bad junior high production. Acting and writing are abominable. I can't believe it got a two-year renewal. NBC must have nothing in development to replace it. I feel that GH tries to be contemporary and cutting edge.

by Anonymousreply 56May 31, 2021 1:07 AM

[quote]I feel that GH tries to be contemporary and cutting edge.

I don't agree with that at all. The only thing GH has going for it is an EP who knows how to handle the budget.

by Anonymousreply 57May 31, 2021 1:10 AM

ATWT was the last great soap . I have zero interest in the remaining four, but hate to see the genre die.

by Anonymousreply 58May 31, 2021 1:50 AM

Y&R is a masterpiece! I love Adam Newmen and there hw Josh Griffeth!

by Anonymousreply 59May 31, 2021 2:05 AM

Ok. Kinda done.

The. Vee in the Biz and Dumb Dylan are really tiresome.

I haven’t ignored you because I kinda like Scoche posts, but I will have to.

Please seek help or just kill yourself.

by Anonymousreply 60May 31, 2021 3:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!