Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How to tell someone grew up poor/lowbrow, check their fridges!

Inspired by the miracle whip thread, let's come out a list of food items that you should throw away before the new date shows up at your doorstep.

- Velveeta - Miracle Whip - Kraft Shredded Cheese - Vienna sausage - Spam

feel free to chime in!

by Anonymousreply 122April 12, 2021 4:35 PM

Heads that have gone off.

by Anonymousreply 1April 5, 2021 1:45 AM

Drained pasta.

by Anonymousreply 2April 5, 2021 1:47 AM

potatoes in bags

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 5, 2021 1:48 AM

I grew up poor and we didn’t eat any of that shit.

by Anonymousreply 4April 5, 2021 1:50 AM

Hawaiian Punch/Fruit Punch

by Anonymousreply 5April 5, 2021 1:51 AM

canned peaches and pineapples are the only fruit in the house

by Anonymousreply 6April 5, 2021 1:54 AM

R3, so how do you store potatoes you buy?

by Anonymousreply 7April 5, 2021 1:56 AM

white bread

by Anonymousreply 8April 5, 2021 1:56 AM

Maggi sauce

Lap cheung

Any offal

Instant rice

by Anonymousreply 9April 5, 2021 1:58 AM

Oh, how I hate to think of the riff-raff rabble commoners and their filthy, lowbrow customs!

*shudder*

The peasants are what they eat. And they eat common, low things!

Why, when you think about it, they're little better than the earthworms beneath our expertly-pedicured feet!

Let's all gather 'round and share tales of the poor and we can laaaaugggh, and laaaauuugggh, and laugggghhh! Ahaahahahahahahahahaha! tee hee! :D

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 5, 2021 2:00 AM

I have a wealthy friend, like 4th gen wealthy, and he always has Miracle Whip in his fridge. Grosses me out to no end but he loves that crap. Kinda blows your theory outta the water, OP. Also, he'd laugh at you and this thread.

by Anonymousreply 11April 5, 2021 2:14 AM

Why would you care what someone else ate?

by Anonymousreply 12April 5, 2021 2:18 AM

You are aware that most people poor/lowbrow can read, or at the very least understand experition dates?

Are you retarded and need everything explained to you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 13April 5, 2021 2:19 AM

Margarine

by Anonymousreply 14April 5, 2021 2:24 AM

everyone is laughing at R13, but at least you know "date" is not the fruit here.

On a second thought, he could turn out to be a fruit, lol

by Anonymousreply 15April 5, 2021 2:26 AM

i came in to say exactly what r4 said. my parents, while not rich, had us eating pretty richly with everything homegrown and homemade. even our mayo.

by Anonymousreply 16April 5, 2021 2:28 AM

OP, you sound like the worst kind of snob. BTW, I grew up poor and we didn't have any of that shit in the fridge.

by Anonymousreply 17April 5, 2021 2:28 AM

Yeah, it's a real thing, R15, in real life. You either are one of them (which is what I assume) or you are so clueless you have no idea what is really said in real life because of what someone eats. It's astonishing .

by Anonymousreply 18April 5, 2021 2:30 AM

twinkies and ho hos and any other snack cake like them

by Anonymousreply 19April 5, 2021 2:33 AM

Only a loser would judge someone based on what's in their fridge.

by Anonymousreply 20April 5, 2021 2:33 AM

I don't continue a relationship with anyone who is an obnoxious food snob. I have been raised around people who educated poor, abused, and neglected since I was born.

Someone who understands they are fortunate to be able to choose what they eat, fine, even great in some circumstances. Someone who is a nasty hag about it, never.

by Anonymousreply 21April 5, 2021 2:38 AM

International Delight coffee creamer

by Anonymousreply 22April 5, 2021 2:41 AM

Cow milk.

by Anonymousreply 23April 5, 2021 2:45 AM

Fake American cheese aka “processed cheese spread” Crystal Lite

by Anonymousreply 24April 5, 2021 2:45 AM

Aside from condiments, most rich folks I’ve known keep a barren fridge - enough for maybe two meals. They also have an odd affection for deli meats and cheeses. As somebody who grew up poor, sandwiches do not count as food to me.

by Anonymousreply 25April 5, 2021 2:48 AM

Velveeta was and is expensive, compared to American cheese. Making macaroni & cheese with the Kraft blue box is cheaper than making it with Velveeta.

by Anonymousreply 26April 5, 2021 2:48 AM

R9 seems to think that the ingredients of foie aux oignons, figà àea Venessiana and der Beuschel somehow indicate someone has come from a poor family.

That is incorrect. What's more, it confirms that R9 grew up, well, as not one of us.

By the way, that is how we talk. We do not judge. We just use plain language and recognize our own.

And we do not use the work "fridge."

by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2021 2:53 AM

[quote] And we do not use the work "fridge."

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 28April 5, 2021 2:54 AM

R27, nobody will look any of that up and you need to put the smirnoff down, hon.

by Anonymousreply 29April 5, 2021 2:55 AM

You would not believe how many food snobs are middle to lower middle class. Most are pathetic strives. One whiff of that, and I'm done with you.

I'm R13 and R21. Save you time sleuthing that.

by Anonymousreply 30April 5, 2021 2:56 AM

I have a chilled bottle of prosecco in my fridge, along with a wheel of brie. My organic eggs cost $8 a dozen. I am so not low brow...

by Anonymousreply 31April 5, 2021 3:09 AM

I have two ultra rich friends, one is single and the other is married but without children. Their refrigerators are practically empty, at least when I’ve been there and had occasion to open the refrigerator. Usually some leftover containers from restaurants, bottled water, and maybe a wine bottle. There has never been butter, milk, eggs, condiments, etc. Likewise, when I have been to some of their ultra rich friends’ places, it’s a similar situation, only there are mixers and other alcohol, presumably because we were there for a party of some sort.

I would much prefer to eat from a “poor” person’s refrigerator. The contents are probably closely monitored for expiration dates, and, using the stuff in their refrigerators, they could probably make tasty meals.

by Anonymousreply 32April 5, 2021 3:09 AM

OP- ANY FAT WHORE who starts endless threads about - McDonald's, Wendy's , KFC, Popeyes' etc is LOW BROW.

by Anonymousreply 33April 5, 2021 3:11 AM

I keep a BIG jar of Vegenaise in my refrigerator plus LOTS of Fruits and Vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 34April 5, 2021 3:15 AM

I only have lube, whip cream, and some some non-fat cottage cheese in my refrigerator. I’m on a non-food, heavy sex diet.

by Anonymousreply 35April 5, 2021 3:23 AM

My grandparents were poor. They were farmers. They had milk, butter and eggs in their refrigerator, beef, chicken and pork from my uncle’s farm in their freezer. Butter was store bought, but milk and eggs fresh from their farm and, after they gave up their cow, from my uncle’s adjacent farm. They also always had vanilla ice cream (store bought). In the summer/autumn, produce was picked fresh. We used to pick wild strawberries and raspberries in June/July, and wild blueberries and Saskatoon berries in August/early September. My grandmother canned, so in winter/spring, everything but root vegetables were from jars. I can still taste her canned peaches, it’s a warm childhood memory.

They had coffee, tea, sugar, oatmeal, flour, vanilla, salt and pepper, and that was about all. Bread/buns were always home baked, and my grandmother always had a cake for afternoon tea-vanilla with a unique caramel type icing, made from brown sugar, vanilla and butter.

They ate simply but well. Bringing a jackfish (Northern Pike) or walleye from the nearby river was a real treat for them. They were from Cape Breton Island, and missed eating fresh fish.

by Anonymousreply 36April 5, 2021 3:30 AM

Sounds nice, R36. I'd eat all that stuff you listed.

by Anonymousreply 37April 5, 2021 3:32 AM

The only thing I couldn’t drink was the milk. Farm fresh milk is very rich. I was used to 2%.

by Anonymousreply 38April 5, 2021 3:35 AM

Kool Aid

by Anonymousreply 39April 5, 2021 3:40 AM

I would say lack of fresh fruits and vegetables indicates poverty.

by Anonymousreply 40April 5, 2021 3:41 AM

My ex boyfriend (factory worker) kept his cases of cigarettes in the refrigerator.

by Anonymousreply 41April 5, 2021 3:44 AM

I grew up poor. We didn't waste food, we didn't let food expire and we certainly didn't eat this crap. My mother made everything from scratch as "store bought, pre-made is crap and over-priced."

Sure a lot of poor (and rich) people are trash, but a lot aren't.

Something tells me you're more white trash than most - so you can drop the superiority posts.

by Anonymousreply 42April 5, 2021 3:45 AM

I'm a poor adult b/c I buy fresh stuff; some of it goes bad; but I got a new fridge (remember me?)

Bottom freezer; well lit. I know exactly how much food I have now.

by Anonymousreply 43April 5, 2021 3:48 AM

R39 is racist

by Anonymousreply 44April 5, 2021 4:07 AM

I hate when you guys act like such snobs.

by Anonymousreply 45April 5, 2021 4:11 AM

Use of Cool Whip containers to store leftovers!

by Anonymousreply 46April 5, 2021 5:03 PM

[quote]Use of Cool Whip containers to store leftovers!

I have a friend who has more than one set of china from Spode, Limoges, etc. But what he eats from are old Cool Whip containers.

by Anonymousreply 47April 5, 2021 5:58 PM

Anyone who has Wishbone salad 🥗 dressing in their refrigerator.

by Anonymousreply 48April 5, 2021 6:45 PM

Boones Farm, or boxed wine if you “fancy”!

by Anonymousreply 49April 5, 2021 6:47 PM

Miracle Whip is CERTAINLY low brow

Us Hellman’s people are generally upwardly mobile

by Anonymousreply 50April 5, 2021 6:58 PM

[quote]Kraft Shredded Cheese

Huh? What's wrong with shredded cheese?

by Anonymousreply 51April 5, 2021 7:06 PM

I had an ex that drank boxed wine. Apparently she liked the taste of it because she drank a lot of it.

by Anonymousreply 52April 5, 2021 7:31 PM

Honestly, OP? You sound like a money grubbing whore. My Italian grandmother wouldn't have even let you in her house.

by Anonymousreply 53April 5, 2021 7:32 PM

At one point during my childhood we used powdered (dry) milk to drink. I don’t remember the circumstances why. I was over at a friends house and we were hanging out with her family in the kitchen. They said help yourself to some milk. I grabbed the plastic jug and I shook it. They asked me why I shook it. This was strange to them. They laughed at me about it. I shook the jug of milk because that’s what you had to do with powdered milk to mix it up. After that incident her family knew I was poor.

by Anonymousreply 54April 5, 2021 7:44 PM

[quote] feel free to chime in!

I think you are a stuck up highbrow asshole OP, most likely with a big stick up your arse. I couldn't care what other people have in their refrigerators, not "fridges'

BTW I have both Dukes Mayonnaise and Miracle Whip in my refrigerator.

by Anonymousreply 55April 5, 2021 7:47 PM

I remember some photo spread of the Dump apartment in NY. A kitchen pantry had all kinds of shit food in it. Money does not buy class.

by Anonymousreply 56April 5, 2021 8:36 PM

[quote] I had an ex that drank boxed wine. Apparently she liked the taste of it because she drank a lot of it.

Your ex drank a lot of boxed wine because it was probably cheap and she was maybe a borderline alcoholic (needed to buy wine in bulk on a regular basis). No offense intended. I have my own bad habits and need to make these kinds of decisions all the time.

by Anonymousreply 57April 5, 2021 8:39 PM

Why would I be offended R57? It did bother me that she drank every night and yes boxed wine was cheap.

by Anonymousreply 58April 5, 2021 8:41 PM

R52 made me giggle.

by Anonymousreply 59April 5, 2021 8:42 PM

[quote] At one point during my childhood we used powdered (dry) milk to drink.... I was over at a friends house ... They said help yourself to some milk. I grabbed the plastic jug and I shook it. They asked me why I shook it.... They laughed at me about it. I shook the jug of milk because that’s what you had to do with powdered milk to mix it up. After that incident her family knew I was poor.

I never drank powdered milk and did used to shake the carton.

I had neighbors who drank powdered milk (Milkman brand). At the time, I didn't realize it was cheaper. I just thought it was a choice. I tasted it, though, and didn't like the flavor.

by Anonymousreply 60April 5, 2021 8:43 PM

[quote] Us Hellman’s people are generally upwardly mobile

Oh, us are?

by Anonymousreply 61April 5, 2021 9:24 PM

Non Brand-name soda like Shasta, Nehi, any Store brands, and RC cola.

by Anonymousreply 62April 5, 2021 9:26 PM

I was raised upper middle class, my mom always used Miracle Whip in tuna instead of mayo so I do have Miracle Whip in my refrigerator for that.

by Anonymousreply 63April 5, 2021 9:31 PM

The fanciest fridges will be upper middle class strivers. The rich have cooks.

by Anonymousreply 64April 5, 2021 9:32 PM

Rich or poor, the Americans are generally obese.

by Anonymousreply 65April 5, 2021 9:43 PM

"experition dates"

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 66April 5, 2021 9:52 PM

Food.

by Anonymousreply 67April 5, 2021 9:54 PM

Velveeta and Spam are kind of expensive for what they are.

by Anonymousreply 68April 5, 2021 10:00 PM

This thread reminds me of the communists in China.

Fuck off!

by Anonymousreply 69April 5, 2021 10:25 PM

Truly wealthy people don’t even know where the refrigerator is.

by Anonymousreply 70April 5, 2021 11:05 PM

R36--- Aw, dear! You have me wishing I was seated in their kitchen, chatting with them and eating a slice of warm, homemade bread with fresh farm butter and a lovely cup of coffee! They sound perfect!

by Anonymousreply 71April 5, 2021 11:13 PM

The only person who'd know the "tells" of another poor person's refrigerator would be... another "poor/lowbrow" person.

As anyone of the class OP aspires to be would (a) never have seen such a persons refrigerator, let alone house or kitchen and (b) never given it's possible contents any thought.

Yet another in a series of DLCAS posts which can be summed up neatly as

"He may be a hairdresser with a year of community college under his belt, but at least he doesn't have Velveeta and Miracle Whip in his refrigerator. That indicates he is a man of refined taste so we should invite him to join the club"

Said No One Ever.

by Anonymousreply 72April 5, 2021 11:42 PM

^^no apostrophe on its.. OH DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 73April 5, 2021 11:42 PM

I always clean out a place in the refrigerator when I'm having a friend over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 5, 2021 11:54 PM

American caviar. A really good chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 75April 5, 2021 11:56 PM

R68 is right. These foods were not poor people food, because they have always been priced at a premium over their unprocessed or store-labeled counterparts.

Chipped beef in the jar seems like poor people food, but it costs about $20/lb.

by Anonymousreply 76April 6, 2021 12:07 AM

Food prices are insane. Unless you have a lot of money, you are going to be hurting from this. Try living on disability and grocery shopping. You take whatever the hell you can get.

by Anonymousreply 77April 6, 2021 12:12 AM

lol, some of you guys are too sensitive, there is nothing "snobbish" about this, just some suggestions to present yourself more "cultured" and had a good upbringing, we have "tasteful friends..." and "elder gays tell us..." threads, this one is no difference from them, a bit blunt maybe, but in essence it's still about presenting yourself more attractive than just present your hole for your new FB.

by Anonymousreply 78April 6, 2021 12:22 AM

I have rotisserie chicken from Walmart, salad ingredients, and fresh bread. I feel rich and I am not cooking tonight, 😛

by Anonymousreply 79April 6, 2021 12:39 AM

Wow. This thread is really despicable. Those who grew up poor, really poor, had very frw such things at all. Government commodity surplus, Kraft macaroni and cheese, generic crap, salvaged canned goods and thrift store day-old or week-old bakery items: poor. What are listed are mostly ordinary working class food. Kids don't know the difference between real mayonnaise and Miracle Whip.

by Anonymousreply 80April 6, 2021 12:57 AM

Has burnt champagne been mentioned?

by Anonymousreply 81April 6, 2021 1:10 AM

No, but chilled prosecco and brie cheese have been mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 82April 6, 2021 1:12 AM

Store brand brie? I prefer it! So bland and creamy. But this is French store brand, mind you.

by Anonymousreply 83April 6, 2021 1:14 AM

Farmed smoked salmon? Nasty!

by Anonymousreply 84April 6, 2021 1:14 AM

Beer in the fridge. Weed, cigarettes, vodka and poppers in the freezer.

by Anonymousreply 85April 6, 2021 1:17 AM

Those off-brand ants are a dead giveaway.

by Anonymousreply 86April 6, 2021 2:05 AM

[quote] there is nothing "snobbish" about this

There's nothing snobbish about judging people who grew up poor?? What?? Are you fucking serious with this bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 87April 6, 2021 3:49 PM

The point these threads get tiresome is when everyone posting is joining in on the dunking (on the poor). When people are admitting they were poor or knew poor people and the commentary is simply observational and/or conversational I don't mind at all. I speak as someone who grew up lower middle-middle class and who is weirdly fascinated with fridge contents (more telling, these days, than any medicine cabinet).

Snobbery and knowledge/fascination are not the same thing. Acknowledging what X Food says about socioeconomic status is not the same thing as judging someone for said status (the latter of which is shitty, and generally a huge tell for your Internet Rich - i.e. not rich - types).

by Anonymousreply 88April 6, 2021 5:31 PM

Maggi is good. Unfortunately it's owned by Nestle now.

by Anonymousreply 89April 6, 2021 5:46 PM

[quote]Money does not buy class.

In fact it doesn't even pay the bill!

by Anonymousreply 90April 6, 2021 5:48 PM

Nestle ruined British chocolate. And Kraft/Mondelez. Fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 91April 6, 2021 5:59 PM

Low brow food in the fridge is an absolute dealbreaker for me!

by Anonymousreply 92April 6, 2021 6:02 PM

I grew up poor, but we ate healthy homemade meals. My mother would keep bones and bits of things and make inventive soups and we never turned our noses up at leftovers. She made it almost fun.

Now I am loath to throw food away and I was sad that my SIL threw out the ham bone from Easter dinner (which I bought and prepared!) because I could have made a beautiful lentil soup from it. I did save a bunch of the meat, though, (“what are you saving THAT for?”) and will make a quiche with it tomorrow night. Soups, quiches and fried rice are a good way to use up vegetables and small bits of meat.

My fridge is filled with leftover containers, which I guess exposes me as a former Poor. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 93April 6, 2021 6:05 PM

The rich people have empty refrigerators and the people who grew up poor always have food in their fridge.

by Anonymousreply 94April 8, 2021 3:04 PM

My grandmother wasn't poor, but she sure did store leftovers and the like in used containers. If we'd all start doing that instead of buying and disposing so much plastic after one use our oceans would be much better condition. Nothing in her house went to waste. She even kept an empty milk carton on her counter and all scraps from fruit and vegetables would go into it so she could compost them. Some of those greatest generation folks would be considered hard core environmentalists by today's standards.

by Anonymousreply 95April 8, 2021 3:13 PM

my grandmother was precisely the same, it was a sign of her generation

by Anonymousreply 96April 8, 2021 3:14 PM

Forgot to add, my grandmother even used the water she boiled potatoes in to make gravy and to bake bread and buns! If she wasn't baking, she'd water her garden with it. Of course she also used a rain barrel, at home and at her cottage, which is something I do as well.

by Anonymousreply 97April 8, 2021 3:21 PM

[quote] The rich people have empty refrigerators and the people who grew up poor always have food in their fridge.

I am always baffled by blanket statements like this.

The contents of your refrigerator (and the fullness of it) depend on what stage of life you're at, something lost on many DLers who went from Child directly to Single Man and sort of stopped there.

I grew up well off. When I was a kid, we had lots of food in the house, even more when my brother and I were teenagers.

When I was young and single I hardly had anything in the refrigerator because I was rarely home to eat. Mostly leftover takeout that I wound up throwing away after a few days.

Now that I'm married, there's more food again, even before the pandemic.

I suspect this cuts across all income levels so please don't keep your refrigerators empty in an attempt to pass yourselves off as rich.

by Anonymousreply 98April 8, 2021 3:41 PM

Sometimes I have olive oil mayo in my fridge, sometimes some aioli, sometimes miracle whip. But, critically, I always have more than one of these. Now, if you have French's yellow mustard, THAT is a true sign.

[quote]The rich people have empty refrigerators and the people who grew up poor always have food in their fridge.

r98, it's actually a commentary about mindset, not actual quantities of food (though it's probably true for quantities so some extent).

It plays on several notions:

- Having a refrigerator vs. a fridge

- Always having food vs. buying food as needed. There is a tendency for poorer people to have food supply concerns - you hear that poorer people often go without food, so stock up when they can.

- It also plays on the idea that wealthier people don't stock up because they don't eat every meal at home. it's not filled with leftovers from prior meals. Fresh foods are obtained and prepared vs. premade foods.

Whether you agree with the commentary, it packs a lot of oomph into a single sentence. It's a dense sentence in terms of connotative meaning while simple in denotation.

by Anonymousreply 99April 8, 2021 3:55 PM

Growing up, we always had a big pitcher of Kool-Aid in our fridge with about 2 cups of sugar in it. I don't know how we drank that stuff. It would have been healthier if our mother had made us martinis instead. We had a wooden spoon that was permanently discolored red from stirring up all that cherry Kool-Aid.

by Anonymousreply 100April 8, 2021 4:07 PM

[quote]I shook the jug of milk because that’s what you had to do with powdered milk to mix it up.

Huh, I had no idea why I always shook the milk when I grabbed it, but it was probably because we had powdered milk when I was really young. Mom later said she mixed it with a little real milk (one of those school-sized half pints, I think) and it helped the flavor a lot.

The only time I really remember drinking powdered milk was at a babysitter's, she would mix it with lukewarm tap water. It was gross.

by Anonymousreply 101April 8, 2021 4:16 PM

[quote] wealthier people don't stock up because they don't eat every meal at home. it's not filled with leftovers from prior meals. Fresh foods are obtained and prepared vs. premade foods.

No.

When you have small children you generally do eat every meal at home. Or at least the kids do. Regardless of income level.

Anyone who is somewhat into cooking, regardless of income level, is going to favor fresh fruits and vegetables. Though MANY poor people do live in so-called "food deserts" where there aren't many places to buy fresh foods or anything remotely healthy or organic.

But unless you're living someplace like Manhattan or across the road from a supermarket, you're not likely buying everything the same day you're preparing it.

The type of foods in the house--fresh/organic vs frozen/heavy on chemicals--is likely the biggest difference, but again, that's very poor people living in food deserts, not every poor person and will likely vary tremendously based on ethnicity and region.

Nothing to do with quantity.

by Anonymousreply 102April 8, 2021 4:31 PM

[quote] we always had a big pitcher of Kool-Aid in our fridge with about 2 cups of sugar in it.

I loved that Kool-Aid liquid candy as a kid. I switched to Crystal Lite after I left home.

by Anonymousreply 103April 8, 2021 5:05 PM

R101 Growing up, we bought our milk from one or two local dairies. We would shake the milk jar because the cream would float to the top. That’s another reason to shake milk. Raw whole milk fresh from the dairy is like nothing sold in grocery stores today. Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 104April 8, 2021 5:09 PM

A top wouldn't give a fuck about any of this, and a bottom is unlikely to be in a position to be rejecting dates.

by Anonymousreply 105April 8, 2021 5:59 PM

This thread is flypaper for humblebraggers!

by Anonymousreply 106April 8, 2021 8:12 PM

OP, think a better way of putting it is if the person eats like garbage, doesn't like to cook, or is too lazy to cook. A single attorney friend of mine is like this. He makes a good living, but his freezer is filled with stuff like frozen Tombstone pizzas, or there's leftover takeout food in his fridge.

There are numerous "food stamp challenge" videos on Youtube and other sites that show how to live on a limited food budget but still eat healthy.

by Anonymousreply 107April 8, 2021 9:05 PM

Op if I ever catch you sticking your ugly face in my refrigerator, I’ll shut the door on it!

by Anonymousreply 108April 8, 2021 9:08 PM

A female model I know uses Miracle Whip as a beauty treatment. Rubs on face, lets sit for ten minutes. Wipes off with tissues, lotsa dead skin,

by Anonymousreply 109April 8, 2021 10:30 PM

I remember one year during the 1970s when the economy was terrible and we had to eat beans several nights a week. My mother would make a big pot of beans with ham and sometimes collard greens. She would always make cornbread in a cast iron skillet to go with it. During the summer, people would give us tomatoes from their gardens and we would have sliced tomatoes with the beans and cornbread. People also gave us lots of cantaloupe from the garden, which Mom would serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert.

by Anonymousreply 110April 8, 2021 10:41 PM

R110, that sounds awesome. I'd eat that even if money were not an issue.

by Anonymousreply 111April 8, 2021 10:46 PM

To add on to the Kool-Aid ... Other drinks that aren't really fruit juice (not milk or sodas, either). Dave Chappelle did a bit about "grape drink."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 8, 2021 10:49 PM

My boyfriend uses Country Crock "butter" and he stores his leftovers in the Country Crock containers. I love him dearly but his family is something else so I know where he gets it from.

by Anonymousreply 113April 9, 2021 1:45 AM

[quote] R26 Making macaroni & cheese with the Kraft blue box is cheaper than making it with Velveeta.

As a Canadian, I don't view Kraft Dinner (I mean Kraft Macaroni & Cheese) as particularly low class. Maybe I should, it's extraordinarily popular here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114April 9, 2021 1:52 AM

I did a couple of silly, "just in case " things at the beginning of the Pandemic. I haven't had them in probably 30 yrs. so I bought a couple boxes of Kraft Mac & Cheese to have on hand in the panty. Well, about 4 months ago, I decided to prepare it. It was horrible. Just awful. Inedible. I had to throw it out. In future I will keep a box of macaroni on hand, I will have some cream of mushroom soup and a block of cheddar cheese and use those, and that's it. As for Kraft, someone needs to look into what they call "cheese." I bought a couple bags of shredded cheese and again terrible. And they wouldn't even melt. WTF. Kraft isn't what it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 115April 9, 2021 3:34 AM

Are you American, R115? I ask because some of the cheese and other dairy they sell in the US isn't allowed in other countries (too much mucus, too many hormones, antibiotics etc).

by Anonymousreply 116April 9, 2021 3:45 AM

This King Arthur (they make flour) "Better Cheddar Cheese Powder" might be something good to try. $10.95 for an 8-oz. can.

Sad that Kraft apparently changed the formula. I did like that blue box mac and cheese. My taste buds tell me that Velveeta has changed as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117April 9, 2021 3:51 AM

R115 Kraft Mac is a comfort food for my ex-poor ass, I admit. My sweet husband picked up Kraft one time and got some of the children’s variety (cute shapes). We made it and it was inedible, threw it out. Next time at store I compared the ingredients of those boxes to the basic Kraft, and turns out the kids variety has a completely different formulation (cheaper to make? Healthier?) I don’t know why it’s different, but it’s awful. I can still enjoy the regular Kraft tho.

by Anonymousreply 118April 9, 2021 4:02 AM

Kraft cheese product used to be better before they switched to the lower quality petroleum byproducts resulting from fracking rather than the higher quality Saudi Arabian sweet crude. Sure, Kraft cheese products are still shelf stable and have richer color due to modern dyes, but the flavor just isn't the same.

by Anonymousreply 119April 9, 2021 4:11 AM

R24 doesn't believe in himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120April 9, 2021 4:13 AM

R108's refrigerator

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121April 9, 2021 6:19 AM

R104 is a goddamn humanitarian. Shaking the milk so everyone gets to partake in the cream that has risen to the top? My siblings and I (in the 80s and 90s so this isn't TOO ancient a practice, I don't think) used to come close to physically fighting over who got to crack the bottle and snaggle all the cream for themselves lol.

R114 Kraft Dinner (standard KD, not any of the offshoots) is different in Canada too. Both parts of it. The noodles are disgusting (no matter how briefly you boil them, they still turn to mush, which they never used to do) and the bright orange cheese powder, which used to be very tasty (trashy yes, but delicious) now tastes of basically nothing. Their Singles slices have also gone to shit. Sticky, mushy, tasteless crap. Who knew old-school junk food *wasn't* as bad as it could get?

by Anonymousreply 122April 12, 2021 4:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!