Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Watching Sex and the City for the first time

I will be watching Sex and The City for the first time. For those of you've that watched it, tell me if you enjoyed it. Has it stood the test of time or will watching it now seem dated? Is there anyone else who has never seen it before?

by Anonymousreply 380May 11, 2021 2:23 AM

It's a great show to hatewatch. And make fun of Carrie Bradshaw's character.

by Anonymousreply 1April 5, 2021 1:10 AM

I really enjoyed it but it’s very dated.

by Anonymousreply 2April 5, 2021 1:10 AM

WHY?

by Anonymousreply 3April 5, 2021 1:13 AM

Nice hat!

by Anonymousreply 4April 5, 2021 1:16 AM

Why are you replying? This user has posted this same thread more than once over the past year. They’re always watching this “for the first time” yet always all over any and every other SATC thread.

by Anonymousreply 5April 5, 2021 1:18 AM

R5 You're wrong there. This is the first time I've ever posted such a thread.

by Anonymousreply 6April 5, 2021 1:19 AM

R6. No. I’m not wrong. And I’m embarrassed for you.

by Anonymousreply 7April 5, 2021 1:20 AM

R7 I don't give a shit. Go fuck off, you nasty old queen.

by Anonymousreply 8April 5, 2021 1:20 AM

I thought it was terrible when I first watched it and then I adapted to the style and sensibility and I enjoyed it. I think the pop culture zeitgeist of it was a big part of its appeal, though.

by Anonymousreply 9April 5, 2021 1:21 AM

R8 nope. Stop with the fake threads and lying and psychotic behavior. Who keeps pretending to see the same show for the first time over and over?

by Anonymousreply 10April 5, 2021 1:23 AM

I recall seeing Sarah Jessica Parker on the cover of every magazine and wondered why everyone though she was so beautiful. I imagine it had a lot to do with this show.

by Anonymousreply 11April 5, 2021 1:25 AM

There are some shows that were on at that time that still feel relevant today like Oz. SATC Is an early 2000s time capsule.

by Anonymousreply 12April 5, 2021 1:27 AM

And then you use other accounts you have to comment on your own thread where you’re lying about watching it for the first time (AGAIN).

by Anonymousreply 13April 5, 2021 1:28 AM

R10 Seriously. You're wasting your time. I'm not that person. Furthermore, I don't understand why you (and so many others) feel the need to visit threads you don't like just to post cunty remarks to everyone. This is why DL is on a downward spiral. Now, kindly fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 14April 5, 2021 1:29 AM

For Gods sake please don’t watch the edited episodes that air on E! It’s SATC Light.

by Anonymousreply 15April 5, 2021 1:29 AM

SJP was amazing in this series, and just like her Carrie, she continues to be a fashion icon. People say that Carrie was so self-absorbed but I never saw that. She was always there for her friends, whether it was Samantha going through cancer, or Miranda trying to adjust to domesticity. And don't forget, she was really good friends with Stanford, and even tried to fix him up with Mario Cantone's character.

by Anonymousreply 16April 5, 2021 1:29 AM

R13 Feel free to prove me wrong. I have never posted a similar thread and I have not account. Not a subscriber.

by Anonymousreply 17April 5, 2021 1:30 AM

no one ever watch that show sober. They even tell you to drink watch it.

by Anonymousreply 18April 5, 2021 1:30 AM

R15 a neighbor is moving and has given me her complete series DVD set (among other DVDs). I'm assuming these are all unedited.

by Anonymousreply 19April 5, 2021 1:32 AM

I plan on watching the 2 DVDs of the movies as well. Did anyone here actually go see these when they played in a theater?

by Anonymousreply 20April 5, 2021 1:36 AM

"Lawrence of My Labia". Stellar writing!

by Anonymousreply 21April 5, 2021 1:37 AM

Using his accounts to speak to himself again 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 22April 5, 2021 1:44 AM

I thought the first movie was bad and didn’t finish it so I’ve never even bothered with the second. I was tempted to watch it for this scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 5, 2021 1:47 AM

What a troll post. If you’ve been on here any length of time, you’d know there are numerous threads about this show and the actors.

by Anonymousreply 24April 5, 2021 1:50 AM

Hell, I’m new here and I’m not even buying the ‘not a subscriber’ schtick one bit. I was never allowed to comment let alone post before subscribing.

by Anonymousreply 25April 5, 2021 1:51 AM

I tried to watch it but after a few minutes I thought "This is shit" and never watched it again. It was a scene where the Kim Cattrall character is in a restaurant with Carrie and spies a blonde waiter. Carrie goes into a back area in the restaurant to talk to somebody and lo and behold Cattrall and the waiter are back there too, humping. I heard that was typical, Kim Cattrall getting fucked in every episode. How lame.

by Anonymousreply 26April 5, 2021 1:52 AM

I love how nearly any topic can bring out the rage in poster son dl

by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2021 2:09 AM

The first movie was a SATC fans wet dream. I actually liked it. The second one was a disgrace and made me understand why Kim washed her hands of the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 28April 5, 2021 2:09 AM

[quote] I was never allowed to comment let alone post before subscribing.

Then you're a sucker.

by Anonymousreply 29April 5, 2021 2:40 AM

and I'm hoping there is a lot of male nudity on the show.

by Anonymousreply 30April 5, 2021 2:45 AM

I've often wondered why everyone thought SJP was so beautiful. While I give her credit for saying her nose and the wart on her chin are her legacy, I'd never find her beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 31April 5, 2021 2:48 AM

She's a beautiful and a fashionista. It's easy to see why all those hot guys went ape shit over Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 32April 5, 2021 2:51 AM

You have to love the OCD Dataloungers who think that threads about one of the most popular shows in history couldn’t possibly be from multiple posters. Especially considering it is on the just launched HBO streaming app.

by Anonymousreply 33April 5, 2021 2:51 AM

I read somewhere that the show was written almost entirely by gay men.

by Anonymousreply 34April 5, 2021 3:00 AM

OMG OMG OMG. I'm a total Carrie, I admit it! But there's also a naughty Samantha part of me, and there is some Charlotte in me who wants the prince charming and the mcmansion in Greenwich. I am not a Miranda. Repeat, I am not a Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 35April 5, 2021 3:16 AM

I watched a good portion of it but I have never had the desire to catch up on what I had missed or rewatch what I had already viewed.

by Anonymousreply 36April 5, 2021 3:18 AM

R34 and the reboot is being written by a group of woke diverse young women so it’s going to be a fucking hoot!

by Anonymousreply 37April 5, 2021 3:35 AM

I think SJP carried the show (yuk yuk) because she wasn't beautiful. She was tall (and seemed comfortable with it), had great legs, dressed provocatively but not in an overtly slutty way and seemed approachable to men/relatable to women because she wasn't model-gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 38April 5, 2021 3:43 AM

Eaychbit OP and report back. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I actually read and enjoyed the column in the New York Observer in the 1990s before it was made into the series. BTW how old are you?

by Anonymousreply 39April 5, 2021 4:17 AM

Watch it, I meant to type.

by Anonymousreply 40April 5, 2021 4:17 AM

I watched it & enjoyed back when it was on (I started late, about 2 yrs in but caught up on reruns), will watch the reboot, but don’t feel the need to rewatch anything. I loved Miranda the best; Samantha was very one-note; Charlotte was the rose nylund; Carrie kinda got on my nerves, & i for one hated her chemistry with Big!

by Anonymousreply 41April 5, 2021 4:48 AM

Hot young guys all over NYC couldn't wait to stick their dicks in Sarah Jessica Parker. An in-their-prime John Corbett, Chris Noth and Ron Livingston fell totally madly in love with her and just couldn't stop fucking her.

I've always viewed this show as science fiction.

by Anonymousreply 42April 5, 2021 5:37 AM

R42 Flawless!

by Anonymousreply 43April 5, 2021 5:47 AM

I tried watching it a couple of months ago and made it to the middle of season two. I thought Carrie was really shallow, Charlotte was very naive for a woman in her 30s, Miranda was unpleasant and Big was a dismissive, smarmy cunt. Carrie was purely attracted to his money and status right?

by Anonymousreply 44April 5, 2021 5:51 AM

Lots of male actors were on it before they were known and/or famous. I also loved the Samantha character.

by Anonymousreply 45April 5, 2021 5:54 AM

I knew Cynthia Nixon was a dyke before even she did. From day one of SATC I thought "who's that dyke?"

by Anonymousreply 46April 5, 2021 5:55 AM

Just for a little refresher, this was a young Ron Livingston. JFC. Come on. He was GORGEOUS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 5, 2021 5:57 AM

It's aged like milk. Samantha now comes off like a creepy predator. Not for one second do you believe the ginger dyke wants dick. And as if Carrie can afford her own Manhattan apartment with her shit excuse of a job.

by Anonymousreply 48April 5, 2021 6:04 AM

I'm a Miranda with a Samantha rising.

by Anonymousreply 49April 5, 2021 6:44 AM

Stop after the third or fourth season, OP. It's entirely downhill from that point and by the time you get to the Ron Livingston episodes with SJP having a hysterical breakdown because her writer boyfriend wrote a character who was a New Yorker wearing a scrunchie, you find yourself wishing this foursome had been out servicing their johns in the WTC on the morning of 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 50April 5, 2021 6:58 AM

Like [italic]Friends, Seinfeld, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and many others,[/italic] SATC seemed to exist in a world without Black people.

by Anonymousreply 51April 5, 2021 7:09 AM

Watched it 20 years ago and some episodes were good. It does not hold up at all.

by Anonymousreply 52April 5, 2021 7:14 AM

Just don't think it's a documentary over how people live(d) in NY or anyplace else.

by Anonymousreply 53April 5, 2021 7:19 AM

Lol r50. What straight male writer would have included that scrunchie detail in the first place? Also funny because scrunchies are now “in” again.

by Anonymousreply 54April 5, 2021 7:50 AM

Friday The 13th, Part VIII: Skeletor Takes Manhattan

by Anonymousreply 55April 5, 2021 9:57 AM

Responsible for turning an entire generation of women into vapid whores.

by Anonymousreply 56April 5, 2021 9:58 AM

A big part of its appeal was identifying with one primary character and chattering with friends about it--very much like the astrology reference above.

The show seemed really stupid and shallow in a lot of ways but one strength was that all the characters were more flawed than not. They all excelled at something and otherwise were just big messes. Carrie was supposedly a good (or at least popular) writer and otherwise her life was a total mess--writing about the messiness was her job. (The rates she was paid were preposterous, though.) Charlotte was a Keeping Up Appearances type and her perfection was her flaw, which was what made her obviously the least interesting. Miranda was smart and confident in everything except relationships, and Samantha was the breakout star because she was the always-vulgar one but also because whe rejected all social norms except the most superficial ones. So the show was good at characterization at least in the sense that people identified with the vulnerable aspects of the characters who were all "successful" professionally.

The City was also a character, and that may be the most precious time-capsule aspect of the show to me. When SATC aired, New York City was still that aspirational New York that threw together scrappy creative people with all the trendy prototypes and excessive wealth. Now it's an unaffordable and relatively uninteresting place compared with what it was when SATC aired. Oil oligarchs from Russia and the Middle East didn't buy up half the real estate and Carrie's apartment was close to realistic, whereas now it seems a person on her means would have to sleep standing up in a roach motel to afford to live in New York.

by Anonymousreply 57April 5, 2021 11:32 AM

[quote] Like Friends, Seinfeld, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and many others, SATC seemed to exist in a world without Black people

If you’re answering honestly, just how many black people would be in the social circles those four women were part of? Assuming you have similar white straight female friends, how many of them have close, Black friends?

by Anonymousreply 58April 5, 2021 11:51 AM

12% Population! 99% Representation! NOW!!!

by Anonymousreply 59April 5, 2021 12:02 PM

Re missing black people, here is what I don't get:

1. SATC, Seinfeld, Friends, et al. were fictional television shows that were filmed in Los Angeles on sound stages, not actually in NYC.

2. All those shows are more than 20 years old, before the notion of realistic demographic representation was a mainstream nationwide consideration.

1 and 2 are not great excuses for overlooking the unrealistic whitewashing of depicting NYC, BUT...

3. The Real Housewives of NYC and Beverly Hills are supposedly "real," they all are taped on location in two of the most diverse city/counties in the country, and they've both been entirely whitewashed until the most recent Beverly Hills season. NYC is the most glaring example, featuring only white women (and one half-Asian woman), and black people being seen only as service workers in fleeting moments. Real Housewives of NYC even showed a woman wearing an afro wig and brown face makeup as a joke just a few years ago.

Yet white-only reality shows that are produced in NYC, LA and other very diverse areas never seem to be criticized. Instead, people obsess over fictional depictions from 20-30 years ago. This seems so weird to me.

by Anonymousreply 60April 5, 2021 12:06 PM

Uh SATC was filmed entirely in nyc.

by Anonymousreply 61April 5, 2021 12:11 PM

R60 is a woke Twitter revisionist

by Anonymousreply 62April 5, 2021 12:17 PM

R58 I don't think that defense holds much water because in all the shows mentioned, many scenes took place in public spaces. In a city like NYC, even if you somehow maintain an entirely white circle of friends, you're still interacting in public places that are extremely diverse in all ways. Seinfeld interestingly included a good number of Middle Eastern sidekick characters and occasional Asian ones, but black people largely didn't exist in Seinfeld's New York. The only one I can think of is the lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 63April 5, 2021 12:18 PM

So we’re supposed to measure the percentage of race represented on every show but never look at actual population statistics? Got it.

by Anonymousreply 64April 5, 2021 12:20 PM

Was it, R61? Huh. I'd have to go back and watch but if it was and if there aren't a lot of people of color at the very least used as extras, then that would seem like intentional exclusion.

Even so, the show is a relic at this point and we may as well be chastising Lucille Ball for not casting Fred and Ethal as a black couple. Energy would be better spent improving what is being done now.

by Anonymousreply 65April 5, 2021 12:22 PM

The show was set in a fictional universe where someone would dump Blair Underwood (Dr. Robert) for that whiny, unattractive bitch Steve.

by Anonymousreply 66April 5, 2021 1:34 PM

Honey, did you see the body on "whiny, unattractive bitch Steve."?

by Anonymousreply 67April 5, 2021 1:51 PM

R66. Right?! Blair was the perfect boyfriend and she dumped him for that brat who later cheated on her because he wasn’t getting enough attention because she was working her ass off to pay for the house in Brooklyn that he wanted. Bitch got what she deserved.

by Anonymousreply 68April 5, 2021 2:04 PM

R67. Did you see the body on Blair Underwood?

by Anonymousreply 69April 5, 2021 2:05 PM

SPOILERS follow, in response to the Blair Underwood comments.

Guys, the whole dramatic tension of the entire series (as archaic as it now seems) is that good, stable relationships with good guys were out of reach for all the women, despite their differences, and primarily because all the women made all the wrong choices. And the ultimate happy ending for all of them was that they found some kind of stability.

Carrie was in a self-destructive, volatile relationship with "Big," and ultimately (in the series), the volatility settled and their rocky relationship reached an equilibrium. She blew through a lot of good and bad guys on the way. I *think* that Aidan (who the public ended up hating) and then Baryshnikov were meant to come across to viewers as "Mr. Perfect" for Carrie, as compared with Mr. Big, who was bad for her, so that viewers' expectations of who would end up being perfect for her would be overturned, but the public overall wanted her to be with Mr. Big the whole time, and so there really wasn't any perceived growth of Carrie's character. She and Big just resisted one another all along when they were meant to be together.

Miranda had a good guy available to her but she rejected him and treated him poorly, not wanting to settle, and she eventually ended up with the guy who was right for her (Steve) rather than the guy who was the best on paper (Blair Underwood). This paralleled her type-AAA lawyer-ness learning to chill out over time. That was her character growth. Blair Underwood would have slotted into the "living-by-checklists" Miranda before her personal evolution. Steve slotted into her "more-human-and-less-ambition" evolution.

Charlotte had the same journey, which paled in comparison to Miranda's, because who cared about Charlotte? But she was with the guy who was presented perfectly and had money, etc., and he turned out to be such a dud that she realized she loved a slimy, sloppy guy who was entirely wrong for her but who inexplicably turned her on.

And Samantha's personal growth was that she started off independent but still seeking male companionship and in the end she realized she was really happiest as her own companion.

All the women spent the whole series dreaming about finding Mr. Perfect and for all of them, their Mr. Perfect was all wrong on paper but somehow perfect for them. It's an obvious moral of the overall story, and if

by Anonymousreply 70April 5, 2021 2:32 PM

R67 uh I hope you’re joking.

by Anonymousreply 71April 5, 2021 2:36 PM

Do you think SJP was jealous that they gave Blair Underwood to Cynthia, while she was stuck with musty old Baryshnikov?

by Anonymousreply 72April 5, 2021 2:50 PM

I grew up watching black movies and tv shows and there were hardly any white people in them. But it never bothered me because I’m not a whiny gen z lazy loser.

by Anonymousreply 73April 5, 2021 2:59 PM

Watching SATC today would probably be hilarious given how much of the show would probably be cancelled as insensitive and phobic of some stripe.

by Anonymousreply 74April 5, 2021 3:01 PM

Is the you-started-other-threads troll here?

I got zonked by one who claimed it was easy to prove (except it was not true).

At least the threads I was accused of starting existed.

Now the troll is claiming there are other threads about watching SaTC for the first time. But there are not any that you can find by searching.

Do they exist?

by Anonymousreply 75April 5, 2021 4:23 PM

SATC would definitely never get away with the tranny hooker episode in the current climate. The writers and Kim Cattrall would all get canceled for lines like "chicks with dicks, boobs on top, balls down below".

by Anonymousreply 76April 5, 2021 4:30 PM

How would SATC hold up to the MeToo movement?

by Anonymousreply 77April 5, 2021 4:31 PM

A tv show with an all-white cast would seem strange today.

by Anonymousreply 78April 5, 2021 4:40 PM

Almost prehistoric, R78!

by Anonymousreply 79April 5, 2021 4:58 PM

R38 - it's common knowledge (if you do the research) that SJP is petite, not "tall" - come on! That was a sloppy lie and easy to counter.

by Anonymousreply 80April 5, 2021 5:04 PM

Like every long-running show, it had good moments and bad. It was at its best when it was talking about sex frankly and showcasing the friendship between the women. It once flirted with brilliance during the Carrie/Big/Natasha triangle. I loved the way they handled that and the show seemed to have no issue making Carrie look like a crazy, insecure stalker who couldn't let him go. I thought that was brave for both the show and SJP. If they'd left the Big relationship there and maybe brought him back as a temptation for Carrie one last time, it would have been great, but they kept bringing him back and fucking up every potentially stable relationship for her.

Since Chris Noth has said he's not returning for the reboot and the original script for Sex and the City 3 had his character dying and Carrie forced to deal with it, I hope they use that in the reboot series. It could be a great moment for her character after a few seasons and two movies where they depicted her as charming, kooky, fashionable, and flawless without any of that relatable grit and desperation from the first three seasons. Make her go through life without a man and maybe realize Big wasn't the one for her and that it's not too late to find true love.

by Anonymousreply 81April 5, 2021 5:06 PM

Are you sure the Sex and the City reboot is going to have an all new "woke" cast? It looks like it's just a continuation of the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 5, 2021 5:36 PM

Nowadays, I couldn't help but wonder, would Miranda flashing her ginger tits at a gay man be considered a hate crime?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 5, 2021 6:40 PM

I remember the gay men I knew who were fans claiming the show was really about 4 gay men and that the themes and situations were much more relevant to gay men than straight women. This was supposedly the appeal to gay male fans of the show.

by Anonymousreply 84April 5, 2021 7:01 PM

During SATC's original run I was in my 20s and living in NYC and really liked it. Now that I'm so much older and with the passage of time and all of the insane shit that's happened over the past 20 years, it rings very shallow and superficial to me. I guess I've just grown up and moved on but if I catch a clip of the show now I find it frivolous and annoying and I can't believe I was so into it all those years ago.

by Anonymousreply 85April 5, 2021 7:11 PM

I’m available!

by Anonymousreply 86April 5, 2021 7:14 PM

Who cares R5? I'd rather read another SATC thread than another ridiculous Markle and Harry thread.

by Anonymousreply 87April 5, 2021 8:50 PM

I rewatched the whole series a few years ago and it really falls apart around season 4. The first three seasons are still pretty solid with a few cringeworthy moments like the whole bisexual episode.

It's like the budget got higher on season 4 which came with more cooks in the kitchen and it didn't work as well.

by Anonymousreply 88April 5, 2021 9:03 PM

It became more of a soap opera by the 4th season. I can see why it had immense appeal to straight women and gay men.

by Anonymousreply 89April 5, 2021 9:24 PM

R88 SJP became Producer in season 4..

by Anonymousreply 90April 5, 2021 9:27 PM

Why did they do away with the "people on the street" offering their opinions on sex and dating?

by Anonymousreply 91April 5, 2021 9:30 PM

Because it was gimmicky and didn't age well.

by Anonymousreply 92April 5, 2021 9:35 PM

If you even met the real Candace Bushnell, you'd thank Darren and SJP for making Carrie relatively smarter, less shallow, and nicer (starting from the very lowest bar).

by Anonymousreply 93April 5, 2021 9:44 PM

Do tell R93

by Anonymousreply 94April 5, 2021 9:48 PM

I loved the ratty fur coat Carrie wore in the first two seasons. She looked like a teen dressing in mommy’s clothes and it was endearing.

by Anonymousreply 95April 5, 2021 9:49 PM

R95, yes, that was part of the charm of the show in the early days. Carrie was a stunted teenage girl on the inside and it was endearing for a season or two until it became clear that she was incapable of change and it became a little sad.

by Anonymousreply 96April 5, 2021 10:39 PM

R80, but I didn't do the research. I've never seen the show. I'm just giving my impression of what its appeal seemed to be.

SJP is short? She always looked tall in photos to me, probably because she was so thin.

Live and learn.

by Anonymousreply 97April 6, 2021 5:21 AM

first season barely counts. watch if you want to but dont bail if you find it boring.

by Anonymousreply 98April 6, 2021 7:09 AM

Whoever claimed that there were no black people in the background scenes in SATC is lying. SATC was representative of the demographic that Carrie and her friends move in and even in a place like Manhattan there are circles that are almost entirely white.

by Anonymousreply 99April 6, 2021 7:13 AM

[quote]it's common knowledge (if you do the research)

Honey, do you know what "common knowledge" is?? It is not something that requires research BY DEFINITION.

Also, you're talking about the physical height of a washed up TV actress who is pushing 60, not the temperature at which water freezes.

by Anonymousreply 100April 6, 2021 2:36 PM

It took me a while before I realized that Cynthia Nixon was the same actress who played the hippy girl in the movies 'Little Darlings" (which also starred fellow lesbian, Kristy McNichol.)

by Anonymousreply 101April 6, 2021 7:43 PM

For kicks, I watched a few season 1 episodes the other night on amazon. In one episode, three characters (two men and 1 woman) on five different occasions told Carrie how beautiful she was. In another, the gorgeous and hot Samantha flirts with Big before he and Carrie started dating, yet he is more interested in Carrie! This show did not in any way mirror real life.

by Anonymousreply 102April 6, 2021 9:12 PM

Samantha was a little aggressive with Big and that may have turned him off. If she had played the bimbo card he would have fucked her.

by Anonymousreply 103April 6, 2021 9:50 PM

A man like Big couldn't have handled Samantha. She wouldn't have fallen for his bullshit. Carrie painted herself as this hardened cynic, but she was just a scared little girl who wanted the richest, most popular kid in school to like her.

by Anonymousreply 104April 6, 2021 10:05 PM

R103 is right.

by Anonymousreply 105April 6, 2021 10:08 PM

I've often wondered if SJP's "Square Pegs" co-stars were ever jealous that she got this role.

by Anonymousreply 106April 6, 2021 10:30 PM

I actually liked Carrie up until she stalked Big at that church and was so obsessive about meeting his mother. Cringeworthy behavior. Miranda should have shut that shit down.

by Anonymousreply 107April 6, 2021 10:44 PM

[quote] SJP is short? She always looked tall in photos to me, probably because she was so thin.

Are you fucking blind? Because you just need to watch the show for 5 minutes to see that she’s petite. Hell she’s the shortest of the 4 of them. Are you of the impression the others are Amazon women?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108April 7, 2021 1:01 AM

Here she is with Chris Noth. He absolutely towers over her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109April 7, 2021 1:01 AM

Chris Noth's ass and the back of his balls. He's got a big set of low-hangers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110April 7, 2021 1:08 AM

R110 Hot!

by Anonymousreply 111April 7, 2021 5:53 PM

That is not Chris Noth!

by Anonymousreply 112April 7, 2021 6:03 PM

Did Carrie ever date ANYONE who was equal in the looks department? It seems that all the guys she dated and hooked up with would be totally out of her league IRL. She was at best a 6, and she was hooking up with all these 8's and 9's. It was like a gay man's fantasy come to life.

by Anonymousreply 113April 7, 2021 7:54 PM

It most certainly is Chris Noth r112.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114April 7, 2021 7:59 PM

I would say Justin Theroux is equal to SJP in looks and he played two of Carrie’s suitors.

by Anonymousreply 115April 7, 2021 8:07 PM

Justin Theroux was very handsome back then, way out of SJP's league.

by Anonymousreply 116April 7, 2021 8:08 PM

I never thought Berger was that great looking and why did she call him back his last name?

by Anonymousreply 117April 7, 2021 10:37 PM

I loved it when Berger broke up with her on a Post-it. She deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 118April 7, 2021 11:52 PM

I thought Aiden looked challenged

by Anonymousreply 119April 8, 2021 12:09 AM

Season 3 Aiden looked challenged. Season 4 Aiden was hot.

by Anonymousreply 120April 8, 2021 12:26 AM

I fucking LOATHE Ron FUCKING Livingston. As bad as that season was his character flushed that season down the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 121April 8, 2021 12:40 AM

Ron Livingston is fucking gorgeous. Him with SJP, talk about a looks-discordant couple. Most of her bf's were hot. WTF did they see in her? Can you imagine if they had given her Jason Lewis as a romantic interest? That would've been the height of absurdity.

by Anonymousreply 122April 8, 2021 1:01 AM

You're blind, R122.

by Anonymousreply 123April 8, 2021 1:24 AM

Damn you bitches are tough. Even Ron Livingston doesn't pass muster with you? I mean, sure, he was no IG underwear model/whore with 8-pack abs, but he is objectively very attractive. I don't think many people, male or female, would turn him down.

by Anonymousreply 124April 8, 2021 1:44 AM

Ron Livingston was hot AF back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125April 8, 2021 2:07 AM

R122, my mother would always swoon when Ron would show up on screen. She rarely comments about a man being really handsome, but she would say that about him quite a bit, also Nathan Fillion. I agree with most people here, Sjp isn’t a beauty & almost all the guys she dated were way better looking, it was pretty unrealistic.

by Anonymousreply 126April 9, 2021 12:22 AM

A little off-topic, but were the producers or anyone tied to the show also tied to the film "The Broken Hearts Club"? Was rewatching SATC season 1, and no less than three actors from the film appear...Tim Olyphant, Ben Weber, and Justin Theroux.

by Anonymousreply 127April 9, 2021 12:37 AM

It’s too bad Skipper just disappeared after Season 2. He made a much more interesting male friend than stereotyped Stanny.

by Anonymousreply 128April 9, 2021 2:02 AM

In every episode, someone is telling Carrie how beautiful she is. It's a bit much.

by Anonymousreply 129April 9, 2021 2:19 AM

[quote]Even Ron Livingston doesn't pass muster with you?

"Even"? Please. He's disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 130April 9, 2021 2:28 AM

The most cringe-worthy moment in the whole series was when Miranda grabbed Charlotte's vibrator (which was inside her pussy only minutes before that) and threw it into her purse just like that. What kind of a person does something like that?!

by Anonymousreply 131April 9, 2021 4:14 AM

Even more cringeworthy than when Carrie was asked to be an underwear model in a fashion show?

by Anonymousreply 132April 9, 2021 4:32 AM

R131, what about the time Carrie's diaphragm got stuck down there and Samantha had to plunge her fingers in to extract it?

by Anonymousreply 133April 9, 2021 5:50 AM

R133 I never understood why a woman wouldn't be able to fish out her own diaphragm?

R133 technically it was a models & real people event and Carrie made a comment she was under no illusion which one she was.

There was even a season 1 episode where she commented how many model like women were in NY and how could they compete?

As others have commented in previous threads, early Carrie was pretty, good body, nice tits and blonde hair. Plus a minor celeb who was apparently funny. What's not to get?

by Anonymousreply 134April 9, 2021 6:14 AM

I'm such a Charlotte. I want the perfect husband and the tasteful mcmansion in Greenwich.

by Anonymousreply 135April 9, 2021 6:20 AM

The diaphragm thing was just a super lame plot device to turn attention back to Carrie (because the girls had to ask her who she was fucking when they learned she was using it and that started a whole lot of drama). But at least Samantha (presumably) washed her hands after getting that thing out. But Miranda just threw that vibrator, which must have been still dripping with Charlotte's pussy juices, into her purse and had that thing rub all against the stuff she was carrying in it.

by Anonymousreply 136April 9, 2021 7:30 AM

Miranda should have chucked the vibrator out the window like Charlotte did with her getting-over-divorce self-help book!

by Anonymousreply 137April 9, 2021 3:57 PM

Samantha=Blanche

Miranda=Dorothy

Charlotte=Rose

Carrie=combination of all three

by Anonymousreply 138April 10, 2021 5:29 AM

From a gay man's POV, inane.

by Anonymousreply 139April 11, 2021 1:01 AM

[quote] But Miranda just threw that vibrator, which must have been still dripping with Charlotte's pussy juices, into her purse and had that thing rub all against the stuff she was carrying in it.

Who knows what Miranda did with the vibrator after she returned home? There was always lesboerotic subtext in the interaction between butch Miranda and prissy WASPY princess Charlotte.

by Anonymousreply 140April 11, 2021 9:36 AM

Miranda also ate from the trashcan.

Lawyer by day, pig by night.

by Anonymousreply 141April 11, 2021 9:48 AM

Miranda was so unlikeable. The character was mostly unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 142April 11, 2021 1:27 PM

IRL do women as extremely attractive as Samantha hang out with homely women like Carrie and Miranda?

by Anonymousreply 143April 11, 2021 1:47 PM

R143 I never hang out with women prettier than me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144April 11, 2021 3:10 PM

Dear God, R144, is that from a reboot of The Witches of Eastwick or Hocus Pocus?

by Anonymousreply 145April 11, 2021 4:43 PM

Miranda evolved more than any of the other women. And it was 100% believable.

by Anonymousreply 146April 11, 2021 8:42 PM

Remember that fugly guy Miranda dated who took a shite with the bathroom door open? I was so disgusted I stopped watching for 4 weeks!

by Anonymousreply 147April 11, 2021 10:08 PM

I had a bf who came into the bathroom and shit while I was in the shower. That was a deal breaker.

by Anonymousreply 148April 11, 2021 10:14 PM

I'm drunk Charlotte

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149April 11, 2021 10:14 PM

[quote]Miranda also ate from the trashcan

And she hd her ass eaten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150April 11, 2021 10:36 PM

*had ^

by Anonymousreply 151April 11, 2021 10:36 PM

[quote]Like Friends, Seinfeld, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and many others, SATC seemed to exist in a world without Black people

The circles these women moved in were extremely white. For example, they spent a lot of times in chichi bars. You could walk into a chichi "upscale" bar in Manhattan back then and it would literally be nothing but white people. Even in NYC in the 2000s there were places that were nothing but whites everywhere you looked. It wasn't far-fetched at all to see that represented on the show.

by Anonymousreply 152April 12, 2021 12:31 AM

I lived in NYC while the show was shot.

Even then the lack of color was noticeable. The chichi upscale bars were not "all-white," at least not in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 153April 12, 2021 12:38 AM

^^^^ and this includes places that were used as locations in the show!

by Anonymousreply 154April 12, 2021 12:38 AM

no, it doesn't hold up IMHO;

Carrie's a selfish shrew who committed adultery and dumped the same guy, who loved her, twice.

by Anonymousreply 155April 12, 2021 12:41 AM

[quote]Even then the lack of color was noticeable. The chichi upscale bars were not "all-white," at least not in Manhattan.

Bullshit. I was also there and there were places where you did not see a non-white face.

by Anonymousreply 156April 12, 2021 12:47 AM

SJP is a beautiful, stylish woman, so it was not a stretch to have other characters constantly refer to her as beautiful or stunning. Honestly, I think gay men are so used to judging female beauty based on OTT drag queens, that they are unable to notice a truly beautiful woman.

by Anonymousreply 157April 12, 2021 12:49 AM

Sarah Jessica Parker is very, very short. 5'2", but with 5 inch heels, 5'7".

by Anonymousreply 158April 12, 2021 12:56 AM

Love this. Classic. Now in HD on HBO Max.

by Anonymousreply 159April 12, 2021 12:57 AM

[quote] Stop after the third or fourth season, OP. It's entirely downhill from that point and by the time you get to the Ron Livingston episodes with SJP having a hysterical breakdown because her writer boyfriend wrote a character who was a New Yorker wearing a scrunchie, you find yourself wishing this foursome had been out servicing their johns in the WTC on the morning of 9/11.

I just watched my first episode and enjoyed it. I like Carrie so far and hated Miranda immediately. I couldn't help but think of that photo of Chris Noth with his balls hanging from the back when he came on. Looking forward to watching more. I like the music too.

Also I can see why some of the women at the office of my old job seemed sexually aggressive at the time this show was a hit. I don't think it would fly during the #metoo era we're living in.

at what point do I watch the movie? I know it came out later on.

by Anonymousreply 160April 12, 2021 12:57 AM

I thought Carrie was pretty. She didn’t look like a model and had flaws but seemed comfortable in her own skin which is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 161April 12, 2021 1:08 AM

The SJP/Kim feud breaks my heart. They seemed to close and friendly, that it's just been heartbreaking to watch their friendship crash to a bitter end. Watching their scenes in the reruns is just bittersweet, and sometimes I dissolve into a mess of tears thinking about what was lost.

by Anonymousreply 162April 12, 2021 1:18 AM

The show was interesting at the point where they let Carrie become the "villain." When she cheated with Big behind his wifes back, had to take her to the hospital, and then had her call bullshit when Carrie asked for forgiveness--that was some of the most shocking, compelling and complex writing in the series.

Then it moved on to romantic fantasy and became unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 163April 12, 2021 1:19 AM

[quote] Is there anyone else who has never seen it before?

Me and all my friends. I have no interest in watching annoying women talk about men and sex all day, I already have to ditch these types at work, I can't imagine sitting through it at home, let alone enjoy that.

For a board as misogynistic as this one, I'm surprised anyone would waste their time watching this.

by Anonymousreply 164April 12, 2021 1:32 AM

Misogynistic? I would say that people just get called on their shit, and if that includes women so be it.

by Anonymousreply 165April 12, 2021 1:48 AM

I've seen about three episodes and in every one Carrie's voice over made the comment "Someone once said". I have a feeling she said it more than that.

I found her character to be extremely self-centered and obnoxious. The rest of the cast seemed okay. Would have fucked Big (asshole that he was).

by Anonymousreply 166April 12, 2021 2:51 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't find Chris Noth that attractive? There's something "soft" about his face that does nothing for me. Now give me a Chris Meloni!

by Anonymousreply 167April 12, 2021 3:03 AM

Umm, R162 I hope you're being sarcastic. Otherwise, MAAAAAARRRYYYYY!

by Anonymousreply 168April 12, 2021 3:20 AM

I know SJP once said "My nose if my legacy. Why would I ever change it?", but she should have gotten that wart on her chin burned off before "Sex and the City." It's very distracting and makes her look like a witch.

by Anonymousreply 169April 12, 2021 3:24 PM

There was something very sexy about SJP in the 90s and especially in the first two seasons of SATC. I never doubted for a second that hot men were drawn to her. And by the time the series was over the best she could get was Petrovsky and she knew it.

by Anonymousreply 170April 12, 2021 4:22 PM

I actually enjoyed the series on HBO. But, the first movie killed it for me. The second movie buried it and gave me complete closure. I could never watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 171April 12, 2021 4:37 PM

All they ever did was whine about their sex lives and behave like little whores, fucking every hot guy in sight. It's a miracle none of them ever contracted an STD. In the real world in the 90s, Samantha would've been POZ.

by Anonymousreply 172April 12, 2021 4:43 PM

R163, yeah, that was raw stuff, but did Carrie learn from it?

I didn't see much growth.

And what man would prefer her to Natasha, Bridget Moynihan?

(Cue the Gisele Budchen Tom Brady joke).

by Anonymousreply 173April 12, 2021 4:59 PM

Well, Charlotte did get crabs at the Hamptons once.

by Anonymousreply 174April 12, 2021 6:55 PM

Who hasn't?

by Anonymousreply 175April 12, 2021 6:57 PM

Za Za Zooooooo!

by Anonymousreply 176April 12, 2021 6:59 PM

Both Carrie and Samantha had abortions when they were young sluts and Miranda caught chlamydia from Angela Lansbury’s nephew.

by Anonymousreply 177April 12, 2021 10:09 PM

Samantha must've been a walking petri dish.

by Anonymousreply 178April 13, 2021 7:40 PM

Samantha's cunt was a Biohazard zone. Enter at your own risk.

by Anonymousreply 179April 13, 2021 7:53 PM

It's funny how they portrayed the women as sexually aggressive, sex-obsessed whores, but the one poor gay guy, Stanford, was so meek, asexual, and relationship-minded. It was like the opposite of real life.

by Anonymousreply 180April 13, 2021 7:58 PM

Samantha did special strengthening exercises to keep her cooch as tight as a duck's arse!

by Anonymousreply 181April 13, 2021 7:59 PM

R180 one of the funniest was Stamford meeting an anonymous guy from offline, before apps. The one guy took one look at him, said "NO" and strutted off.

by Anonymousreply 182April 13, 2021 8:04 PM

Did we ever figure out why sad, nellie OP keeps posting the same thread over and over?

by Anonymousreply 183April 13, 2021 8:07 PM

I hated Carrie when she cheated on Aidan. Hated!! He was the best thing to ever happen to her, and she treated him like sour milk. Aidan deserved so much better!

by Anonymousreply 184April 13, 2021 8:11 PM

R182 yes! And the guy who rejected him was no prize himself which made it so true to gay life

by Anonymousreply 185April 13, 2021 8:31 PM

The cabin episode showed how shallow and stupid Carrie really was. The cabin was a cute little rustic getaway and she freaked over a squirrel FFS and was such a fucking bitch to Aidan.

by Anonymousreply 186April 13, 2021 8:33 PM

You do have to buy the convention that it's a TV show, which came from a column of many stories. The show had to tell all those stories with just those 4 women. Frankly, I'm amazed they did it this well, without it becoming some kind of anthology.

by Anonymousreply 187April 13, 2021 9:52 PM

So if Carrie had married Aidan Shaw she would have been Carrie Bradshaw Shaw. Or Carrie Shaw.

by Anonymousreply 188April 14, 2021 11:06 PM

[quote] It's funny how they portrayed the women as sexually aggressive, sex-obsessed whores, but the one poor gay guy, Stanford, was so meek, asexual, and relationship-minded. It was like the opposite of real life.

Gay men in the show were absolutely annoying. They were little ugly pets/accessories for the girls.

by Anonymousreply 189April 14, 2021 11:22 PM

Natasha was so above Carrie's league in every possible way: looks, career, even emotional intelligence in spite of being 10 years younger than her. Cheating on her with Carrie is kind of like downgrading from an Arabian horse to a mangy donkey. Come to think about it, all exes of the guys she got serious with were way out of her league.

by Anonymousreply 190April 14, 2021 11:30 PM

You just know that if SATC were real life, Carrie would've referred to Stanford as "my gay".

by Anonymousreply 191April 15, 2021 12:10 AM

Natasha's speech when Carrie crashes Natasha's lunch to apologize was great TV:

"Yes, I'm sorry about it all. I'm sorry that he moved to Paris and fell in love with me. I'm sorry we ever got married. I'm sorry he cheated on me with you, and I'm sorry that I pretended to ignore it for as long as I did. I'm sorry I found you in my apartment, fell down the stairs, and broke my tooth. I'm very sorry that after much painful dental surgery, this tooth is still a different color than this tooth. Finally, I'm very sorry that you felt the need to come down here. Now not only have you ruined my marriage, you've ruined my lunch."

by Anonymousreply 192April 15, 2021 12:15 AM

Even though I'm a gay man, I think I know what make straight men tick and what turns them on. Carrie's face was not much, but she had a banging body and gave off a really palpable sexual energy. Straight guys respond more to that than to an asexual Barbie doll like Natasha.

by Anonymousreply 193April 15, 2021 12:29 AM

^lol

by Anonymousreply 194April 15, 2021 12:31 AM

I mean you were married to the character played by Carole Bouquet and then you bring Carrie to Paris as the woman you want to live with?

by Anonymousreply 195April 15, 2021 12:33 AM

i called it Tits and the Sexies

by Anonymousreply 196April 15, 2021 12:35 AM

NYC is still rampant with these types of women trying to live glamorous lives and searching for their investment banker husbands in Brooks Brothers suits on their $40,000/year salaries as junior editors at a publishing house. SATC really ruined a whole generation of women.

by Anonymousreply 197April 15, 2021 12:36 AM

[quote] Even though I'm a gay man, I think I know what make straight men tick

No you don't.

by Anonymousreply 198April 15, 2021 12:49 AM

Natasha was always dressed in white UNTIL she dumped Big. I hope she got a big fat divorce settlement.

by Anonymousreply 199April 15, 2021 1:10 AM

r197 absolutely. It caused hordes of boring basic bitches to move to NYC to do exactly as you described. Also, to treat gay men like pets or animals in a zoo. There were problems with these women in gay bars coming in and "taking over." There was an episode of SATC where the four women did just that, it was pretty offensive. In real life, however, these bitches got shown the door.

SATC and also Friends had a lot of negative consequences for NYC, lots of people who should've stayed in Columbus or Parsippany ended up moving here and the quality of life in the city really suffered.

by Anonymousreply 200April 15, 2021 1:10 AM

Remember when she farted in bed with Big then got under the cover to sniff it? Dirty bitch.

by Anonymousreply 201April 15, 2021 9:34 AM

All these hot guys finding Carrie and Miranda attractive played like a frau's wet dream.

by Anonymousreply 202April 15, 2021 1:31 PM

Did they ever explain why these women were so sexually compulsive? What is their family backgrounds made them so fucked up? Psychologically healthy people don't fuck anything that moves.

by Anonymousreply 203April 15, 2021 1:44 PM

I worked with a faux Carrie Bradshaw. Her name was Amanda and she was about 4’11. Always wore seasons 3/4 Carrie inspired outfits including big flowers. Treated her bf like crap. I figured she was obsessed with the show as a teen and was now living her best Carrie life. I hated her.

by Anonymousreply 204April 15, 2021 3:45 PM

I hated how they just randomly turned up at each others apartments, like in Friends. What if the person had the farts and their apartment stank?

PISS OFF, I'M BUSY!

by Anonymousreply 205April 15, 2021 3:48 PM

Who the hell shows up at someone's residence unannounced? Outside of immediate family, would anyone just randomly show up without calling/texting first?

by Anonymousreply 206April 15, 2021 3:51 PM

I just got hbo max and am trying to get through it too. Forget the fantasy element of it, I just find it kind of silly and don't understand how it took off in the first place. It's a cheap cable show and very much seems like it. I'm only up to season 3 and Carrie seems perfectly fine looking to me but I agree she would not be as desirable in real life as she is in the show and would have had an average number of men available to her. I literally just got to the episode where big and Carrie resume their affair. He just HAS to call her because he can't live without her and then tells her I love you???!! Not realistic AT ALL. He maybe would have resumed the affair so he can get an extra fuck in but no way would he be in love with her. She was sexy but not necessarily pretty and definitely not love material to a straight man.

by Anonymousreply 207April 15, 2021 4:40 PM

No, R203. Little is said about any of their families and no parent ever makes an appearance even at holidays or weddings.

by Anonymousreply 208April 15, 2021 5:22 PM

Some old guy walked Charlotte down the aisle when she married Trey. I assumed it was her dad. Charlotte’s brother also made an appearance. Sam fucked him. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 209April 15, 2021 6:38 PM

Never saw it; have no interest in watching it.

by Anonymousreply 210April 15, 2021 6:43 PM

It was weird that no one from Charlotte's family was at that huge rehearsal dinner or at the wedding. It was all Trey's family. And speaking of Trey's family, we meet his brother and sister-in-law several episodes after the wedding, but they also weren't at the rehearsal dinner or wedding. Major continuity issues!

by Anonymousreply 211April 15, 2021 6:53 PM

We met Miranda’s sister Betsy at their mothers funeral.

by Anonymousreply 212April 15, 2021 8:02 PM

Carrie grew up on a farm in Kentucky

by Anonymousreply 213April 15, 2021 8:28 PM

Really, r213? Which episode was that mentioned in? I vaguely remember something about her absent father or something, but don't ever recall the state she grew up in, much less a farm.

by Anonymousreply 214April 15, 2021 10:31 PM

Fucking hell r214 you sure are thick as a plank!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215April 15, 2021 10:45 PM

Darren Star has said that the lack of backstory for the leads was a specific strategy.

by Anonymousreply 216April 15, 2021 10:50 PM

Neigh! Neigh!

by Anonymousreply 217April 15, 2021 11:27 PM

I’m going to have to watch this show again. It’s the television equivalent of potato chips

by Anonymousreply 218April 15, 2021 11:32 PM

The edited version that airs on E! is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 219April 16, 2021 1:53 AM

According to a straight married-couple-friends of mine: She loves The Sopranos. He loves: Sex and the City.

by Anonymousreply 220April 16, 2021 2:41 AM

Well we’ll well..... look who’s coming back for more punishment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221April 16, 2021 3:59 AM

Loved it the first time around when I was young. As I got older and watched reruns, I don’t care for it as much. Carrie was so self absorbed it was nauseating.

R221, I’m guessing Carrie and Big are divorced or he’s dead. Aiden is when I started hating her, she treated him like garbage. I guess he’s going to be who she ultimately ends up with.

by Anonymousreply 222April 16, 2021 4:06 AM

I wish SJW Twitter would bully the writers into forcing Carrie to end up with a trans man. Or as a trans man.

by Anonymousreply 223April 16, 2021 5:50 AM

How will they explain Samantha's absence?

by Anonymousreply 224April 16, 2021 8:36 AM

They’re going to simply say Samantha has moved on to a new group of friends and doesn’t keep in touch. Just like real life.

by Anonymousreply 225April 16, 2021 12:37 PM

They should have the Samantha character in love, married and living in a big house in Connecticut just for shits and giggles. The life Charlotte wanted.

by Anonymousreply 226April 16, 2021 4:30 PM

^with a horse named Parker!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 227April 16, 2021 6:02 PM

Did Chris Noth refuse to return?

by Anonymousreply 228April 16, 2021 6:03 PM

Noth is being coy about returning. First he said he wasn’t and now hinted he might. It’s already been leaked that Carrie may be a widow in the reboot.

by Anonymousreply 229April 16, 2021 6:06 PM

Another thing that marred the last season and the movies was making all four so wealthy and living lives most people could never afford.

If it's coming back and wants to be in any way relatable they need to tone down the conspicuous consumption.

by Anonymousreply 230April 16, 2021 6:20 PM

Samantha has been cancelled after being outed by that tranny she dumped water on. Carrie and the others dumped her as they didn't want to be vicariously cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 231April 16, 2021 6:22 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232April 16, 2021 8:37 PM

r227, why would she get a horse named Parker? That seems very random. I know you're trying to say she'd end up like Charlotte, who did in fact love horses, but I couldn't see Samantha naming her horse Parker. She'd probably give it an erotic/sexual name, something like Orgasm or Fellatio. That would make more send for the randy Samantha, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 233April 16, 2021 9:11 PM

Think about it R233.

by Anonymousreply 234April 16, 2021 9:13 PM

It's a travesty Cattrall never won an Emmu for SATC. Like or loathe her but she made what could have been a tired old slut into an iconic character

by Anonymousreply 235April 16, 2021 9:19 PM

R235. She’s in good company

by Anonymousreply 236April 16, 2021 9:56 PM

Rewatching SATC, there really wasn't much of the way of acting going on besides for SJP and maybe Cynthia. They seemed to get the meaningful scenes which required actual acting. Almost every scene with Kim, outside of the cancer story, had her having sex or saying double entendre/innuendo with her "shticky" sexual voice, all in very short snippets that didn't require any acting range.

by Anonymousreply 237April 16, 2021 10:18 PM

In the very first episode Sarah played the character like it was supposed to be played-cynical and sexy. As the episodes progressed she played it more and more like herself-a lady grossed out by crude talk who believes in romance and happily ever after. It's not that she's a bad actress I just think she got lazy. The one who really stood out was Cynthia. She was pretty caustic and cynical too but you saw softer and more complex sides as well. She was an unpleasant character but the most well played and realistic. Kim was one note and Kristin I wouldn't even call an actress. Half the time she looks like she doesn't know what her lines are.

by Anonymousreply 238April 16, 2021 11:10 PM

Charlotte got dumber and more annoying as the series progressed. She’s sexy and smart in the first season then she goes off the rails. By the second movie she’s a moron.

by Anonymousreply 239April 16, 2021 11:40 PM

In real life a pampered WASPY New England princess like Charlotte would never hang out with the likes of super-aggressive Alpha female Miranda, the openly promiscuous Samantha and the trashy social climbing Carrie who writes a sex column.

by Anonymousreply 240April 17, 2021 7:10 AM

Kim was one-note, true, but let's not forget that Emmys have been given out to the likes of the even more one-note (and shrill) Lisa Kudrow, the massively overrated Doris Roberts for a shit performance in an unfunny piece of shit, Patty Heaton, Candace Bergen and Deb Messing. Kim's acting was at least as good as theirs, at least within the "comedy" category.

by Anonymousreply 241April 17, 2021 7:16 AM

Lisa Kudrow has genuine talent, she was brilliant as Valerie Cherish.

by Anonymousreply 242April 17, 2021 7:38 AM

Samantha was not one note, she had lots of great scenes or plots that showed she was a real human, such as:

- Breaking up with Dominic, whom she loved - HIV scare - Disappointed with Carrie judging her - Crying after not getting a job because of her promiscuous reputation - Cancer - shame at cheating on Smith with Richard - portraying the character's softer side when she is there for her friends

by Anonymousreply 243April 17, 2021 7:53 AM

[quote]She’s sexy and smart in the first season then she goes off the rails.

You're fucking HIGH, R239. She looked positively bovine that first season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244April 17, 2021 1:40 PM

Couldn't they have hired a hotter and younger actress than Sonja Braga to be Kim's scissor sister? Their relationship was not at all believable.

by Anonymousreply 245April 17, 2021 3:06 PM

Samantha was the gay guy written by the gay writers for the gay male audience.

The HIV test scene was all of us before Prep in the 90s. And her reaction was how we felt then.

by Anonymousreply 246April 17, 2021 3:15 PM

I thought so too, R245. Katey Sagal would have been perfect for that role.

by Anonymousreply 247April 17, 2021 4:42 PM

Another unrealistic aspect of their friendship is that a successful partner in a NYC law firm, such as Miranda, would have (1) the time and (2) the energy to hang around women who spent their time like in a high school cafeteria bitching about their high school girl-like crushes on guys. "Oh, you know, he gave me hydrangeas, I am not sure how to interpret it - is it an act of hostility or affection?" type of talk.

by Anonymousreply 248April 17, 2021 8:49 PM

Imagine how much Carrie's lttle studio stank when she was a smoker.

by Anonymousreply 249April 17, 2021 9:02 PM

Imagine the stink after all those cosmos

by Anonymousreply 250April 17, 2021 10:04 PM

Carrie always smoked in front of an open window, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 251April 17, 2021 11:50 PM

I agree about Charlotte. A woman like her would never have the three other woman as close friends.

by Anonymousreply 252April 17, 2021 11:51 PM

Rewatching season 4 and the quality of the writing really started to tank. The Carrie/Big/Aidan triangle is ludicrous. Samantha and Charlotte/Trey are beyond tedious. Thank god for Miranda who keeps things somewhat interesting.

by Anonymousreply 253April 18, 2021 12:04 AM

Why would a high powered lawyer like Miranda be friends with some dumb loser who writes a sex advice column for a weekly rag?

by Anonymousreply 254April 18, 2021 12:12 AM

I like all of the characters except for Charlotte. She always seemed pointless and boring.

by Anonymousreply 255April 18, 2021 2:36 AM

The only thing more boring than Charlotte was Charlotte with Trey. At least Harry was fun.

by Anonymousreply 256April 18, 2021 2:44 AM

As I sifted through the rubble of my marriage skirmish, I had a thought. Maybe the fight between marrieds and singles is like the war in Northern Ireland. We're all basically the same, but somehow we wound up on different sides.

by Anonymousreply 257April 18, 2021 3:53 AM

R257 as someone from Northern Ireland, I couldn't help but wonder, why couldn't we have Carrie Bradshaw as our envoy for peace?

by Anonymousreply 258April 18, 2021 8:30 AM

I'm a Charlotte. Most of you bitches are Carrie (but think you're Samantha.)

by Anonymousreply 259April 18, 2021 8:40 AM

Big could have had any woman in Manhattan or Brooklyn he wanted. No way in hell was he going to cheat on his wife with the washed up rag doll Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 260April 18, 2021 11:47 AM

[quote] The only thing more boring than Charlotte was Charlotte with Trey.

Trey looked a bit like kd lang, so it gave Charlotte a vaguely lesbian edge for a bit when she tried to seduce him. That other fake lez storyline they gave her was utter garbage.

How come Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte each got a lez storyline but Carrie always remained hetero?

by Anonymousreply 261April 18, 2021 11:50 AM

Carrie was a homophobe who freaked out over bisexuality and getting a kiss from a lovely young fille during spin-the-bottle

by Anonymousreply 262April 18, 2021 12:12 PM

Samantha's pussy took EZ Pass.

by Anonymousreply 263April 18, 2021 12:17 PM

[quote]getting a kiss from a lovely young fille

It was lucky Alanis who got to kiss Carrie's ashtray mouth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264April 18, 2021 12:20 PM

R253, on my recent rewatch I noticed exactly the same thing - around season 4 the writing really started to take a nosedive, the characters became broader and more caricature-ish, and Carrie uglier. Suddenly she was less of a sex columnist and more a writer about relationships. The show started becoming more focused on fashion and labels and shallow things like that.

It was around this time SJP became an executive producer, so...

by Anonymousreply 265April 18, 2021 12:34 PM

As a gay kid in early 2000s, I shamelessly bought season 4 on DVD and devoured it. I think I started watching in season 5. It wasn't til later when TV repeated the first 3 seasons I realised season 2 and 3 were much stronger.

by Anonymousreply 266April 18, 2021 12:37 PM

Carrie was always way too prudish to write a sex column. Samantha had that nailed.

by Anonymousreply 267April 18, 2021 1:59 PM

[quote] Carrie was a homophobe who freaked out over bisexuality

I thought that was a fairly realistic reaction from her. Pretty much all of my female friends say they'd never be comfortable dating a bisexual guy.

by Anonymousreply 268April 18, 2021 2:08 PM

Frances Sternhagen as Bunny was the only redeeming thing about that dull Charlotte/Trey storyline. She stole every scene.

by Anonymousreply 269April 18, 2021 3:21 PM

One thing I noticed about season 4 was that Carrie was no longer ALWAYS the glue that held the girlfriend scenes together. For example, prior to season 4, you'd almost never get a scene of just Charlotte and Samantha, or just Miranda and Charlotte. Even Miranda and Aidan has a solo scene without Carrie that wasn't about Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 270April 18, 2021 3:44 PM

I loved Bunny. I loved the line Carrie narrates regarding Bunny's cocktails before dinner starting at 5 and ending with "last man standing"......I like to use that now.

Also, when Charlotte's sister in law blurts out that she saw Charlotte kissing the gardener "now you're a McDougal" with a little flourish of her cocktail.

by Anonymousreply 271April 18, 2021 3:57 PM

Frances Sternhagen is a sublime actress who always stands out. She’s a treasure.

by Anonymousreply 272April 18, 2021 4:29 PM

Looking at the writers of the various seasons it looks like Darren Star essentially stepped away after season 3, so perhaps that's why there was a change in tone and character starting in season 4.

by Anonymousreply 273April 18, 2021 4:35 PM

"I don’t enjoy Mandarin food and I don’t enjoy a Mandarin child.” Bunny McDougal

by Anonymousreply 274April 18, 2021 5:22 PM

Frances Sternhagen hasn't worked since 2014. Does she have Alzheimer's or something?

by Anonymousreply 275April 18, 2021 5:57 PM

Darren Star and Michael Patrick King clearly had different ideas of what the show should be. I preferred the early Darren years. It's like chasing between Stephen Sondheim and Andrew Lloyd Webber. One is smarter and more in tune with humanity and all its flaws and the other is loud, brash, occasionally fun but mostly forgettable fluff that always forces a somewhat happy ending even if it's not earned.

by Anonymousreply 276April 18, 2021 6:38 PM

My favorite exchange involved Bunny, in the episode when they go to the Scottish Society Highland Fling:

Charlotte: "For something called a fling, it sure seems like a lot of work" Bunny (chuckling): "That's what I used to tell Trey about you!"

by Anonymousreply 277April 18, 2021 7:30 PM

Frances was nominated for a Guest Emmy for SATC but lost to Clitoris Leachman for Malcolm In The Middle

by Anonymousreply 278April 18, 2021 8:21 PM

The earlier years were smarter, more realistic, and had its pulse better on dating in NYC than the later seasons, which came off as more of a fairy tale with longer arced highly romantic, and mostly tedious, storylines.

by Anonymousreply 279April 18, 2021 9:02 PM

R278, it's CLORIS, not CLITORIS.

by Anonymousreply 280April 18, 2021 11:58 PM

R280 bitch, please

by Anonymousreply 281April 19, 2021 9:52 PM

Whose bright idea was it to have SJP cut her hair very late into the 4th season? It aged her about 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 282April 19, 2021 11:17 PM

Will there be lots of nudity in the new series? I hope Kristin and Cynthia insist that Sarah Jessica do all the raunchy sex scenes and full frontal nudity this time.

Please God, please please let her be nude all day on the sets and get it out of her system so that I don't have to put up with her constantly walking around the house with no clothes on.

by Anonymousreply 283April 20, 2021 5:43 AM

I liked it in its time but it hasn’t aged well.

Four privileged white bitchez obsessed with trivial shit and snagging a man.

Carrie especially seems like a vapid whiny cunt.

by Anonymousreply 284April 20, 2021 7:40 AM

What R1 said.

It's 4 lost women doing stupid things. Fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 285April 20, 2021 9:07 AM

And what R284 said.

by Anonymousreply 286April 20, 2021 9:08 AM

How the fuck did Miranda have all that time to brunch and go club hopping with the girls, when she was supposedly billing 60-70 hours a week at her firm? Ditto with Samantha. She's supposed to be some high-powered PR exec, but she never seems to be doing anything besides fucking, eating and gossiping with the girls, shopping, and oh yeah, fucking.

by Anonymousreply 287April 23, 2021 12:39 AM

For those of you've that watched it

by Anonymousreply 288April 23, 2021 12:49 AM

Miranda getting hot guys was totally unbelievable. But not all her men were good looking. She was clearly lesbian too. I can see guys going for Carrie. Her body was banging and she was stylish and confident. Samantha is the same, but she was like 50+ and pulling lime 25 yrs olds on a daily basis. Not sure about that.

by Anonymousreply 289April 23, 2021 1:54 AM

Samantha was not 50+ she was in her early 40s when the show started. But I agree, an attractive middle aged woman would not only not attract such young guys, she simply wouldn't be attracted to them. Women of that age who look like that end up with older wealthier men.

by Anonymousreply 290April 23, 2021 4:51 PM

Of course Samantha would want young studs. She was a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 291April 23, 2021 4:56 PM

Miranda was a successful and intelligent slim woman with a pretty-ish face. The writers made a point once with really hot guy she landed (the policeman). She at first didn't think he was serious when he asked her out. Then she got blind drunk on their date because she felt so self-conscious.

They had her date lots of unspectacular guys too, such as the guy who took a dirty dump with the door open.

Samantha was gorgeous and very confident, I think most horny guys would "date" her as she was also clearly not going to play hard to get. And she had lots of guys her age or thereabouts. In one of the first episodes the voice over said Samantha decided to stop dating men in their 20s because she would always be "the older woman" to them. This was after some sexy youngster told her, post-coital, she had a sexy wrinkly neck

by Anonymousreply 292April 23, 2021 5:02 PM

Watching Miranda have sex with a man while sporting that short spiky butch cut was always hilarious. Who were they kidding?!

by Anonymousreply 293April 23, 2021 5:21 PM

Well, one of them was John Benjamin Hickey.

I thought Miranda looked great in the last few seasons. I noticed it in the season 5 finale when she sleeps with Steve. There was a beautiful close-up of her.

by Anonymousreply 294April 23, 2021 5:32 PM

[quote]Frances Sternhagen hasn't worked since 2014. Does she have Alzheimer's or something?

She's 91, r275, with a long career behind her. Not all performers work to the end.

I hope she is well. I worked with her once. Kind and quick-witted.

by Anonymousreply 295April 23, 2021 6:55 PM

I was walking around Union Square back in the late 90s and I noticed something was filming at a restaurant that had an outdoor patio area (I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the restaurant, it's long gone). I looked at the patio and there were four women sitting there being filmed. I immediately recognized Sara Jessica Parker. She was very thin and her nose was HUGE in person. I thought "wow she looks a lot different in person." I also recognized Kim Cattrall, who I could tell was spackled and troweled with heavy stage makeup even from about 20 feet away. I didn't recognize the other two women who I later learned were Cynthia Nixon and Kristin Davis (I had never heard of them at the time) but I thought "the redhead is obviously a dyke" and "the dark-haired woman is GORGEOUS." Seriously, the camera does not do Kristin Davis justice. She is stunning in person.

A few months later when Sex and the City premiered, I realized that was what I saw being filmed. For all I know, they could've been filming the pilot episode the day I saw them.

by Anonymousreply 296April 23, 2021 7:15 PM

Miranda was only with two gorgeous men during the shows run. Captain Crunch and a hot detective. She fucked both up horribly because she couldn’t believe a gorgeous man would want to fuck her. The rest of her men were merely ok looking.

by Anonymousreply 297April 23, 2021 7:34 PM

It was probably Coffee Shop R296

by Anonymousreply 298April 23, 2021 8:12 PM

One of the most unrealistic aspects of the show was that they were constantly running into each other or other people they know, despite whatever neighborhood they were in This happened at least once, sometimes multiple times, in a single episode.

by Anonymousreply 299April 23, 2021 9:59 PM

On rewatching this, I can't help but notice how BAD most of the acting is when it comes to the randoms and extras they meet. Seriously, it's so much worse than I remembered.

by Anonymousreply 300April 23, 2021 10:07 PM

THe actress who played Bitsy Von Muffling, the socialite that Nathan Lane's character married, was spectacularly awful.

by Anonymousreply 301April 23, 2021 10:59 PM

Remember that episode where Samantha wants to go to the pool on top of that building? Soho house, was it called?

First she runs into Geri Halliwell on the street - AWFUL actress. Then she tries to get in to the pool and the girl on the desk? TERRIBLE actress. Then she gets discovered at the pool as using a false id by the waiter, who? Is a HORRIBLE actor.

by Anonymousreply 302April 23, 2021 11:02 PM

The worst performance came from the actor who, as Richard’s assistant, was buying Samantha expensive gifts but never writing LOVE, RICHARD on the cards. Seriously, where did they find that guy.

by Anonymousreply 303April 24, 2021 12:00 AM

Richard's assistant was handsome and hot in a slightly fit-fat sort of way. That's how he got that role, not for his acting skills.

by Anonymousreply 304April 24, 2021 12:01 AM

And let's all take a moment to remember Heather Graham fucking up playing HERSELF in one episode.

by Anonymousreply 305April 24, 2021 12:02 AM

Heather Graham is generally not very convincing playing a human being.

by Anonymousreply 306April 24, 2021 12:03 AM

People go off on Andie McDowell all the time for being wooden and robot like, but Heather Graham is even worse. She seems like a pleasant person, though, and she's very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 307April 24, 2021 12:06 AM

Not ashamed to say I love the show. It is fun. Breezy fun. I watch reruns all the time. I never watched in its original run. I was in junior high/high school. Never heard of it until college. I liked all of them. SJP was actually pretty most of the time. My favorite scene is the chick falling out of the window.

by Anonymousreply 308April 24, 2021 12:06 AM

^That episode is good, R308, I agree. Kristen Johnston sells the fuck out of it with not much screen time.

I agree, I thought SJP was pretty in the earlier seasons, and in season 6 too, come to think of it, but she was made up so harshly in seasons 4 and 5, it was disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 309April 24, 2021 12:24 AM

Poor Kristin Davis. She was the prettiest of girls, but she got stuck with lesbianish Kyle MacLachlan and fug Evan Handler. Meanwhile, homely Carrie was pursued by one hot guy after another, and even dyky Miranda got some quality cock from time to time. None of that made any sense.

by Anonymousreply 310April 24, 2021 12:29 AM

R304 He looked like Ross Matthews.

by Anonymousreply 311April 24, 2021 12:32 AM

R310 SJP was not homely in this series. Let’s get real. She was very attractive. Kristen was the prettiest (though Kim was gorgeous) but did exude sex appeal.

The Big thing could wear thin watching binging on reruns. I have grown to hate Charlotte/Trey. That should have ended far sooner.

Samantha is freaking fab. All gay men are a combo of Samantha and Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 312April 24, 2021 12:32 AM

^^^meant Kristen did not exude sex appeal

by Anonymousreply 313April 24, 2021 12:34 AM

I think Samantha was the most popular of all the ladies, but her shtick is so tedious. OMG Samantha just said the most outrageous thing. That got old very fast. Kim didn't have much acting to do until the cancer storyline. SJP and Cynthia got the best material.

by Anonymousreply 314April 24, 2021 12:38 AM

Charlotte and Trey reconciling was painful. Interesting that they cut this scene (link below)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315April 24, 2021 12:45 AM

This is true, R314. There was one point in my rewatching when it became so clear to me that the writers had nothing for Samantha to do, apart from her usual shtick. Plus it became really cartoony. Early on she was confident, loved sex and slept around a lot, but she didn't have that almost out of control, hyper-sexuality that she had by later seasons. There are scenes in the early episodes where she is actually talking to men without making everything seem like a come on.

And what I noticed is, Cattrall has the gift for physical comedy when she's allowed to do it. They did utilise it a bit, but she could've done a lot more, and not just sexual related pratfalls.

by Anonymousreply 316April 24, 2021 12:46 AM

The best scenes were the simple ones where they were just sitting around the table chatting and gossiping and just horsing around with each other.

by Anonymousreply 317April 24, 2021 1:14 AM

They dressed Kim way too slutty. First few seasons she dressed appropriately for her age and position then they jumped the shark.

by Anonymousreply 318April 24, 2021 1:30 AM

Who was Samantha's hottest fucktoy?

by Anonymousreply 319April 24, 2021 1:31 AM

Victor Webster and Jason Lewis were the hottest guys to play her studs. Webster has aged well; Lewis not so much.

by Anonymousreply 320April 24, 2021 1:33 AM

Carrie and the Russian were cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 321April 24, 2021 1:38 AM

I liked Sam Robards, the sex swing guy.

by Anonymousreply 322April 24, 2021 1:42 AM

I liked that fireman (Rick?) from Staten Island. John Enos' ass was a revelation, too.

by Anonymousreply 323April 24, 2021 1:49 AM

Kim C looked amazing so I don’t blame them for dressing her like they did. She didn’t age. She looked way younger than she was. She legit was a MILF though she wasn’t a mother, of course. I agree, SJP was very pretty during the show’s run.

by Anonymousreply 324April 24, 2021 1:52 AM

Kim didn't look younger than her age. She looked every bit her early/mid-40s, but she was well preserved. You can see why she could get all those hot guys. SJP pretty? She looked attractive at times, and had an infectious, winning smile, but I'm not sure I'd ever apply the word "pretty" to her. She was the least conventionally pretty of the four.

by Anonymousreply 325April 24, 2021 1:58 AM

R319- the one and only Chip Kilkenny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326April 24, 2021 2:03 AM

Victor Webster was perfection. Face. Body. Everything hot.

by Anonymousreply 327April 24, 2021 2:06 AM

R325 Kim absolutely looked younger than her age. In late 90s/early 00s- 40 something rarely if ever looked that good. Now? Yes it is common. Then? No.

by Anonymousreply 328April 24, 2021 3:16 AM

I enjoyed the show and have rewatched but I cringe everyone someone says “fabulous”

by Anonymousreply 329April 24, 2021 4:44 AM

My two favorite cameos (playing themselves): Lucy Liu telling Samantha to fuck off and Carrie Fisher being Carrie Fisher.

by Anonymousreply 330April 24, 2021 5:35 AM

The episode where Samantha dates the black music producer and his bitch chef sister forces them to break up could never get produced today.

by Anonymousreply 331April 24, 2021 6:18 AM

Lucy Liu was great stealing Sam's ugly birkin bag.

R296 was SJP's hair blonde or brown when you saw her? It was only brown in the pilot where she lives in a ratty apartment above a coffee house.

R310 Charlotte got lots of hot cock too in the earlier seasons, like the prozac guy who couldn't get hard or the threesome man. Or the uncontrollable rage dude

R316 Kim was great at physical comedy, like when Maria was smashing up her dishes or she fell down a gutter as she didn't want to hold "Smith" 's hand.

by Anonymousreply 332April 24, 2021 6:18 AM

R332, or when she got stuck in her dress, and couldn't get the zipper down.

Plus there's a bit in the otherwise execrable second movie, where they are lunching at the hotel pool and Charlotte says: "well this is ALL Samantha's fault!" Cattrall's double take, looking at the other women like: "Can you believe this shit?" always makes me laugh.

R331, the actress who played the sister admitted as much in an interview I saw recently. But she also was very grateful for the experience and spoke very highly of it, including highly of Cattrall who apparently treated her wonderfully.

by Anonymousreply 333April 24, 2021 8:13 AM

Was Oliver, the good-looking Aussie, the only handsome gay male character to ever appear on the show? And the bi guy Carrie dated in one episode. They seemed to go out of their way to only cast trolls as the gay male characters. Stanford, Anthony, their hideous boyfriends, every single one of them.

by Anonymousreply 334April 24, 2021 10:01 AM

[quote] Was Oliver, the good-looking Aussie, the only handsome gay male character to ever appear on the show?

What about Marcus? Or Chris Payne Gilbert (who appeared in two episodes playing different characters)? Even the guy Miranda outed at work was kinda cute, in a nerdy way.

by Anonymousreply 335April 24, 2021 10:20 AM

Mario Cantone is objectively attractive, or at least he was all those years ago, but as soon as he opens his mouth he becomes unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 336April 24, 2021 4:19 PM

Mario Cantone tries too hard. Less is more, dear.

by Anonymousreply 337April 24, 2021 4:33 PM

Yeah the guy who played Stanford's bf was really cute. Stanford was hideous.

by Anonymousreply 338April 24, 2021 4:49 PM

Stanford was only 34 in season one! I thought he was well into his 50s!

by Anonymousreply 339April 24, 2021 5:12 PM

How did Stanford ever get a date? He was a hideously ugly troll and annoying as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 340April 24, 2021 5:18 PM

I was reading about the NY houses that were used for exterior shots of Carrie's home in the series (and there were quite a few of them) and found out that one of them (the one where the scene with her leaving Big in the S1 finale was filmed) was blown up by its crazy owner, who refused to sell it after getting a divorce. A pretty kooky tale!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341April 24, 2021 5:44 PM

Which of the 4 had the nicest boobs? Miranda's were not very nice and had those weird pink nipples. Charlotte's were pretty suckable. Sam's were small but well shaped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342April 25, 2021 10:59 AM

I'm not really a connoisseur of the boob, but I would go with Kim's. Her body was pretty great all round.

by Anonymousreply 343April 25, 2021 11:01 AM

Everyone says what a whore Samantha was, but the other three, especially Carrie and Miranda, fucked anything in pants too. With Miranda it was particularly pathetic, because she just came off as so fucking needy all the time.

by Anonymousreply 344April 25, 2021 1:50 PM

Samantha dedinately had the best body. Charlotte had a barrel shape, short legs and wide manly hips.

Carrie's boobs were obviously misshapen or deformed as she never took her bra off during sex. Plus she's short.

Miranda, no.

by Anonymousreply 345April 25, 2021 2:15 PM

Did SJP get a boob job in the 4th season? She started showing some serious cleavage from that point forward, while she seemed flat as a board the first few years.

by Anonymousreply 346April 25, 2021 2:25 PM

Dunno, she had a decent rack in the first few seasons, but not huge. Her hooter were bigger in season 6 after giving birth

by Anonymousreply 347April 25, 2021 2:40 PM

Is that Kristen Davis at R342? When did she show her muffin? And why? No one needs to see that.

by Anonymousreply 348April 25, 2021 4:47 PM

Did SJP popularize the sex scene with the bra on? I never understood that. If you don't want to show your boobs, put pasties on and tell them to shoot from the back or from the neck up. Don't wear a bra. No one wears a bra while fucking. It's as bad as the sex scene where the men still have their pants on.

by Anonymousreply 349April 25, 2021 5:31 PM

I think SJP said once that her fully clothed sex scenes are realistic because that's how she and Matthew allegedly do it at home.

by Anonymousreply 350April 25, 2021 5:51 PM

SJP was the only one who had a no-nudity clause in her contract.

by Anonymousreply 351April 25, 2021 6:02 PM

Um does anyone really want to see SJP naked?

by Anonymousreply 352April 25, 2021 6:41 PM

It might be fun for shits and giggles.

by Anonymousreply 353April 25, 2021 6:43 PM

All except Miranda had nice bodies. Miranda’s wasn’t bad is just was ehh.

by Anonymousreply 354April 25, 2021 7:57 PM

I think Samantha had the worst body tbh. Big thick manly limbs, not much of a waist or chest, big broad shoulders. I can see why her body would appeal to gay men.

by Anonymousreply 355April 25, 2021 8:02 PM

R349, oh god yes, those scenes in shows where the guy has just climaxed, then rolls over or gets out of bed wearing those knee-length boxer shorts* are ridiculous. I always think they should just film it another way if they don't want to show nudity.

*are these actually what most American men wear? They seem so puritan!

by Anonymousreply 356April 25, 2021 8:53 PM

Most of Samantha’s men went commando. Although I do remember an episode where she fucked a rich guy who had dumped her for a model and when he got out of bed he was wearing these droopy black boxer briefs and had a terrible body. Eek.

by Anonymousreply 357April 25, 2021 9:10 PM

I rewatched it inspired by this thread and it’s strange. I was so annoyed with Charlotte when the show was first on by I really came to like post Trey divorce Charlotte. She just seems so sweet and harmless and I feel for her character.

by Anonymousreply 358May 9, 2021 3:36 AM

She wasn't my favourite, R358, but you felt she was learning and growing at least. Unlike a certain other character.

by Anonymousreply 359May 9, 2021 3:37 AM

Carrie was my favorite. She had such a great sense of fashion, and was a true friend to the other three women. SJP imbued with her such warmth, charm and humanity.

by Anonymousreply 360May 9, 2021 3:42 AM

R360, I hope that’s sarcasm because Carrie was none of those things.

by Anonymousreply 361May 9, 2021 4:42 AM

Was there ever a situation where one of the other three women needed help or to just talk about something difficult she was going through and Carrie just listened without turning it into yet another conversation about herself and her boyfriend problems? She reminded me of certain people in my own life who have a compulsive need for every conversation to be about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 362May 9, 2021 7:11 AM

R362, I think that's the crux of the issue many people have with Carrie. She is too well drawn as that friend or acquaintance many people have who is constantly trying to make everything about themselves all the time. She also reminds me of people I've known in my life too.

by Anonymousreply 363May 9, 2021 10:55 AM

All of these women were flawed. Just like real life. I consider myself a good person but I’ve also been selfish with friends and family and done shitty things to people. Their flaws just made them more human.

by Anonymousreply 364May 9, 2021 12:52 PM

um, SJP was the star of the show. While the other women had their own stories, the thrust of each episode was Carrie's love life. So naturally, any scene where the women gathered together to chat and recap the goings-on was ultimately going to be about Carrie. It's Sex and the City Starring Sarah Jessica Parker. What's so tough to understand?

by Anonymousreply 365May 9, 2021 1:28 PM

at the time I really loved watching the first three seasons, I had just moved to the east coast and was working in NYC, I enjoyed the silly gafs and foibles of the gals.

then the series took a "serious" turn and I really didn't like it. the films I would no sooner view than watch paint dry

by Anonymousreply 366May 9, 2021 1:38 PM

R365 wise up, it was not just about Carrie and we are talking about whenever Carrie is listening to a friend she keeps making it all about her

by Anonymousreply 367May 9, 2021 1:56 PM

Plus, how much can the audience listen to one character going on and and on and on about her love life? The Big/Carrie relationship was pretty repetitive. They should’ve kept him married to Natasha and ended it there. That would have actually been bold to show that not everything works out in life and also to humble Carrie. Instead they went the route of he doesn’t really love the wife, he’s still into Carrie direction. I mean no wonder she was arrogant and up her own ass.

by Anonymousreply 368May 9, 2021 2:43 PM

I love the fuck buddy episode. I think it’s one of the best. Carrie fucks it up by trying to turn him into a boyfriend. Been there, done that.

by Anonymousreply 369May 9, 2021 3:04 PM

R368, that is what Chris Noth thought should've happened too. I read an interview with him once where he said he thought Big marrying Natasha should've been the end of his storyline, plus he was quite candid that he thought the show as it was in the first few seasons was a really interesting idea, but that it started to suck when it became all about fashion, etc.

Cattrall got a lot of shit for what she said about the show, but Noth was just as, if not more, direct.

by Anonymousreply 370May 10, 2021 10:40 AM

Big dumping Natasha because he wants Carrie was when the show gave up any pretence of realistic plots and turned into a complete frau fantasy inspiring every basic flyover bitch to move to Manhattan and try to be "a Carrie in search of her Big".

by Anonymousreply 371May 10, 2021 12:24 PM

Why not, R331?

by Anonymousreply 372May 10, 2021 12:37 PM

Because R372 that episode ends with Samantha dumping the guy and thinking he is a pussy for not standing up to his sister. In the current climate the sister's POV would need to be unquestioningly accepted as the correct one and Samantha wouldn't be able to get away with objectifying the black man even though she objectified all men.

I actually thought the chef sister was an interesting and well-written character and I also understood her objection to her brother dating a white woman. Presenting an episode from her POV would be great but of course the wokesters would refuse to even entertain a version of the script where she comes off negatively. Add to that Sam indulging in "black talk" when talking about her boyfriend and using words like "dis" and we are talking instant Twitter lynch mob outrage and cancelation.

by Anonymousreply 373May 10, 2021 12:52 PM

Nonsense, R372. That says more about your POV regarding the the BLM movement than anything else. There would be some in the black community who would share the sister's point of view, but there would be many more who would find her behaviour as downright controlling and inappropriate, regardless of whether they would feel comfortable with their own sibling dating someone white. And most outside the black community, regardless how much "white guilt" they carry, would think the sister was a bitch as well.

by Anonymousreply 374May 10, 2021 1:16 PM

Samantha wearing an afro wig after she lost her hair to chemo would never make it to air today.

by Anonymousreply 375May 10, 2021 4:26 PM

The chef sister was written as an angry black woman who’s tired of white women stealing black men. It was a small part and very one dimensional. The scene with Samantha and the brother in bed discussing rap was cringy.

by Anonymousreply 376May 10, 2021 5:50 PM

What was really cringey was Samantha dressed in some kind of Jlo rap club outfit that was far too young for her.

by Anonymousreply 377May 10, 2021 6:01 PM

R370 I'd love to read that episode if you have the link?

by Anonymousreply 378May 10, 2021 6:06 PM

There were a number of moments on SATC that would have the Twitter Warriors furious today.

by Anonymousreply 379May 10, 2021 6:09 PM

R295, I thought she was dead!

She, like Priscilla Pointer, is still alive!

Loved Frances in everything including SATC, Starting Over, and pretty much everything; she was in a Neil Simon play The Good Doctor based on the writings of Anton Chekov along with Christopher Plummer and Rene Auberjonois; we did it in high school.

by Anonymousreply 380May 11, 2021 2:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!