Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Nanny is on HBO Max

I'm on Season 1. It is actually a very funny show. It's sort of like a subversive I Love Lucy. The supporting players really make it, Niles, CC, Sylvia, and Val are great. Even the kid actors aren't annoying.

by Anonymousreply 165May 9, 2021 7:21 AM

Where were you the past 30 years, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1April 4, 2021 6:00 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 4, 2021 6:03 PM

one of my favorites but I've always liked comedy sketches with a Jewish twist! (looking at your Rhoda)

by Anonymousreply 3April 4, 2021 6:06 PM

Niles never made a big deal out of it but at one time he was the skeptical captain of an aircraft carrier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 4, 2021 6:06 PM

I always wanted to fist đź‘Š Mr. Sheffield

by Anonymousreply 5April 4, 2021 6:09 PM

we had a guy with last name of Shuffield at my firm. I always found a way to introduce "Oh, Mr. Shuffield"! into the phone conversation (pre cancel culture and he was too timid to tell me to knock if off or he liked it, never knew)

by Anonymousreply 6April 4, 2021 6:15 PM

Why is HBO playing junk like this now, they never did this before?

by Anonymousreply 7April 4, 2021 6:20 PM

I recently rediscovered The Nanny and love it. Fran Drescher is my favorite streetwise smart-alec schnook. If Fran can’t make you laugh there is no hope!

by Anonymousreply 8April 4, 2021 6:28 PM

It is a very old-fashioned sitcom and Fran Drescher is funny despite that voice, but a show like this would get canceled after the very first episode today and be accused of peddling Jewish stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 9April 4, 2021 6:48 PM

The show is pure schlock and very dated (actually, it felt very dated even in the 90s) but the chemistry between Fran Drescher and Charles Shaughnessy made it very watchable.

by Anonymousreply 10April 4, 2021 6:51 PM

im 63 and this is the 1st humorless period , culturally, in my life. Will it ever return? including stereotypes and making pokes at others? Even repressive China and Russia had ironic humor but i suppose it had to go "underground"

by Anonymousreply 11April 4, 2021 6:53 PM

[quote]The supporting players really make it, Niles, CC, Sylvia, and Val are great.

What about me, OP? Huh? What about me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 4, 2021 6:54 PM

Was Mr Sheffield a fantasy character written by Fran's gay ex-husband? A straight, handsome, suave producer of musical theater who remains single for years after his wife's death?

by Anonymousreply 13April 4, 2021 6:57 PM

This show is one of the few 90s sitcoms that aged pretty well in my opinion. Fran is hilarious and the supporting cast was great especially C.C. and Niles. The kids were well cast too and unlike other sitcoms, the children never took over the show with nauseatingly cutesy antics.

by Anonymousreply 14April 4, 2021 7:32 PM

Brilliant show, for those who find the Golden Girls high-larious.

by Anonymousreply 15April 5, 2021 2:24 PM

If there’s no Professor I’m not watching!

by Anonymousreply 16April 5, 2021 2:52 PM

If rather hear people talk about The Nanny than that godawful Friends crap.

by Anonymousreply 17April 5, 2021 3:03 PM

Why did Fran give up hunky Harry Hamlin to chase the stuffy English prick, Mr Sheffield?

by Anonymousreply 18April 5, 2021 3:04 PM

Of course it's available in streaming now that I just bought the whole series on DVD. Of course!

by Anonymousreply 19April 5, 2021 3:08 PM

It was just okay. Nothing worth rewatching .

by Anonymousreply 20April 5, 2021 3:09 PM

CC is my fav!

by Anonymousreply 21April 5, 2021 3:13 PM

I watched my first episode of Gimme a Break on another thread and it was pure drivel, this was just an update with a Jew instead of a Black and a snobby family instead of a blue collar one. Drivel.

by Anonymousreply 22April 5, 2021 3:16 PM

Welcome to the 90s OP.

by Anonymousreply 23April 5, 2021 3:22 PM

The show was quintessential nineties. It debuted in 1990 and signed off in1999. It even went for the pregnancy formula to add one last year of ratings.

by Anonymousreply 24April 5, 2021 3:26 PM

True, r13. Rich, successful and handsome guys like this are usually remarried within a couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 25April 5, 2021 3:47 PM

Fran's line reading is hilarious and watch Mr Sheffields face, he is so close to laughing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 5, 2021 5:00 PM

Never found actors (almost) breaking character as hilarious as others do.

by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2021 5:31 PM

Like others, I rediscovered it over this past year and remembered just how funny it was. I love Fran and she's a sweetheart in real life (met her once).

by Anonymousreply 28April 5, 2021 5:55 PM

R24-WRONG

It debuted in 1993.

by Anonymousreply 29April 5, 2021 6:06 PM

[quote]Never found actors (almost) breaking character as hilarious as others do.

He didn't break character.

by Anonymousreply 30April 6, 2021 12:42 AM

Did Brits really believe Niles was actually British and Charles Shaughnessy was an American doing a bad British accent?

by Anonymousreply 31April 6, 2021 12:45 AM

Looks great, HD and not all stretched out to fit widescreens.

by Anonymousreply 32April 7, 2021 1:03 AM

Like many shows of the "will they or won't they" variety, the show jumped the shark once Fran and Maxwell got married. As I recall, that didn't happen until the final season, however, and every season leading up to that has held up beautifully. Job well done.

by Anonymousreply 33April 7, 2021 1:58 AM

The younger daughter is still in the business. She is very good at getting nekkid on television.

by Anonymousreply 34April 7, 2021 2:27 AM

I binge watched it a couple of years ago and Fran emded up being my least facorite character.

by Anonymousreply 35April 7, 2021 2:31 AM

In one episode Fran claims she was in this commercial

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 7, 2021 2:35 AM

OP, The Nanny is one of those rare sitocms that has aged well and seems better NOW than it did then. Season 1 is fine but seasons 2,3,4 and 5 are ten times better.

by Anonymousreply 37April 7, 2021 2:50 AM

R31, Shaughnessy received a lot of mail telling him that he should look to Niles to see how to do a 'real' English accent lol.

by Anonymousreply 38April 7, 2021 2:52 AM

The kid playing Brighton really did look like he could be Charles Shaughnessy’s son.

by Anonymousreply 39April 7, 2021 3:00 AM

[quote] The younger daughter is still in the business. She is very good at getting nekkid on television.

So is the oldest one, who played a whore experimented on in that Masters and Johnson series. She faked a gigantic shivering orgasm (thus rendering the experiments useless) and it was kind of funny to see little Maggie Sheffield “cumming.”

by Anonymousreply 40April 7, 2021 3:36 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 7, 2021 8:16 AM

I love crazy Renee Taylor in this.

by Anonymousreply 42April 7, 2021 1:17 PM

I still say that Max and C.C. Had the best wardrobes on television.

by Anonymousreply 43April 7, 2021 1:51 PM

Wasn't Daniel Davis rumored to be extremely difficult to work with? If so, that's a shame considering how great he was on the show.

by Anonymousreply 44April 7, 2021 4:49 PM

No, that rep came after on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 45April 7, 2021 5:15 PM

[quote]I love crazy Renee Taylor in this.

MY MEDICINE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 7, 2021 5:18 PM

The Nanny was hilarious at the start. It was kind of magical. Sitcoms usually take a while to fire on all cylinders. I eventually stopped watching. wonder if it got tired or if it stayed good...

by Anonymousreply 47April 7, 2021 5:53 PM

I always loved Lainie Kazan's appearances as Aunt Frieda.

by Anonymousreply 48April 8, 2021 12:16 AM

Baby James Marsden in the pilot, as Maggie's first kiss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 8, 2021 12:18 AM

I remember discovering the grandmother was Mildred Harper (who was pretty funny on the Dick Van Dyke show as well).

I remember in the later years they had a running bit of wondering why she was still a nanny since the kids were mostly grown up and she did little to no nannying.

CC and Niles were funny together, but they made a mistake having them get together. Not every hate relationship has to have an undercurrent of love-hate desire. The series should probably have ended with them Fran and Maxwell getting married or better yet getting engaged and skipped all of the wedding planning episodes.

by Anonymousreply 50April 8, 2021 12:32 AM

If I had met the young James Marsden when I was a teen, he wouldn't have been just my first kiss. He would've been my first marathon fuck session.

by Anonymousreply 51April 8, 2021 1:10 AM

I do remember Drescher looking gorgeous in her wedding gown. I’m

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 9, 2021 8:26 AM

[quote] I do remember Drescher looking gorgeous in her wedding gown.

And out of it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 9, 2021 8:50 AM

Fran Drescher was a babe and the show took many opportunities to show off her figure. She certainly disproved the stereotype that attractive women can't be funny.

by Anonymousreply 54April 9, 2021 4:04 PM

I just saw a standup special with different female comics doing sets, and Fran did a set. She was pretty good at standup, and boy does she look good. She’s not THE NANNY size anymore, but she wisely chose FACE over ASS.

by Anonymousreply 55April 9, 2021 4:32 PM

I just watched episode with the fabulous Todd Oldham “lifesavers” dress. My favorite Fran look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 9, 2021 4:48 PM

Few women have the curves to get away with a dress that duplicates a roll of assorted Lifesavers

by Anonymousreply 57April 9, 2021 4:56 PM

[quote] Wasn't Daniel Davis rumored to be extremely difficult to work with?

he ALWAYS has been

by Anonymousreply 58April 9, 2021 5:22 PM

Saw Fran Drescher at MoMA about 8 years ago and while she was still dressing like a 90s 30something (Herve Leger bandage dress, "natural" makeup), she was pretty and the body was banging. I smiled at her and she winked back (she was with some ancient looking dude who looked stern and unpleasant).

Surprised she can't find the right vehicle sense; she knows her way around a good punchline.

by Anonymousreply 59April 9, 2021 5:28 PM

[quote]I do remember Drescher looking gorgeous in her wedding gown

Meh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 9, 2021 8:23 PM

It's such comfort entertainment with the "I Love Lucy" retro vibe.

I think a lot of people underestimate how difficult it is to make a show where you just fall in love with the characters and even accept the few misses here and there in order to keep them around.

One thing I think the show missed was another Sheffield as a regular having to deal with Fran's family to get that class and culture shock dynamic going. They just popped up for one episode and immediately gone the next. CC could have done it, but for some reason she never really got too involved with, or exposed to, Fran's family in a way like sharing actual story lines.

I love one of the later ones where Max finds out he has a sister and she inherits all of the money of Max's dad and Fran and her mom visits the sister and her mom, and it's such a fun scene of both moms sizing each other up and going for the hotel menu.

by Anonymousreply 61April 9, 2021 9:23 PM

I thought it was weird there was only one episode with Fran's sister Nadeine. She was never seen again after that and I'm not sure she was ever mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 62April 9, 2021 9:56 PM

I think it's a shame that "The Nanny" didn't win any acting Emmys (it scored only one win for costume design). Fran, Renee (both nominated) and Daniel were all hilarious in their roles and very deserving.

by Anonymousreply 63April 9, 2021 10:01 PM

R62 Nadine just didn't have the kitchen that Niles had.

by Anonymousreply 64April 9, 2021 10:02 PM

I see it every night on Logo or Cozi. Fuck HBO Max.

by Anonymousreply 65April 9, 2021 10:03 PM

They have "Niles and CC Burns" from all 6 seasons on YouTube and I just watched them again....am sore from laughing!!

by Anonymousreply 66April 9, 2021 10:42 PM

r65 types poor

by Anonymousreply 67April 9, 2021 11:35 PM

Grandma Yetta was a more glamorous Bernice Clifton. I loved how she called Brighton "Little Shmooey."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68April 9, 2021 11:40 PM

R50 It was kind of a cop out to put CC and Niles together but they kind of had to do it. It is a sitcom, after all. After seeing CC not get her man and even have a mental breakdown because of it, they had to give her someone. And, it gives Niles a happy ending as well.

by Anonymousreply 69April 10, 2021 12:01 AM

Little fun fact: Charles Schaughnessy is the son of Alfred Shaughnessy, the developer of the original 'Upstairs Downstairs.'

by Anonymousreply 70April 10, 2021 12:08 AM

[quote] see it every night on Logo or Cozi. Fuck HBO Max.

No, you see a half hour of commercials with clips of "The Nanny" in between on Logo

by Anonymousreply 71April 10, 2021 12:11 AM

I loved when Dorothy Lyman was one as a snooty matron and asked Fran if a sculpture was Mayan. Fran replied (while pointing at Mr. Sheffield), “No, it’s his’n!”

This show is like comfort food. It’s not HIGH ART and it’s not trying to be. I binged super heavy THEM on Prime today, and I needed a little light entertainment, and THE NANNY filled the bill.

by Anonymousreply 72April 10, 2021 1:40 AM

r72 Dorothy Lyman directed many episodes of the show.

by Anonymousreply 73April 10, 2021 2:07 AM

voted top ten ,,,,one of the worst shows ever made....her voice alone is vomit inducing.

by Anonymousreply 74April 10, 2021 2:07 AM

[quote]I thought it was weird there was only one episode with Fran's sister Nadeine. She was never seen again after that and I'm not sure she was ever mentioned.

I feel her pain.

by Anonymousreply 75April 10, 2021 2:07 AM

It's a great old-fashioned sitcom and a nice escape for 30 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 76April 10, 2021 2:11 AM

Fran: Niles, do we have any old nipples?

CC: Hello-hello!

by Anonymousreply 77April 10, 2021 2:20 AM

Fran must be one of the most gross untalented people to ever make it. true, her voice makes kids weep.

by Anonymousreply 78April 10, 2021 3:49 AM

[quote]This show is like comfort food. It’s not HIGH ART and it’s not trying to be.

True but it's still infuriating how a great show like "The Nanny" was dismissed by critics while "Friends," which wasn't nearly as funny, continues to be put on a pedestal as one of the "greatest" TV sitcoms of all time. It's such a joke.

by Anonymousreply 79April 10, 2021 4:29 AM

True r79. The Nanny was funnier than Friends.

by Anonymousreply 80April 10, 2021 5:21 AM

Lauren Lane was gorgeous back then.

by Anonymousreply 81April 10, 2021 5:21 AM

[quote] It is a very old-fashioned sitcom and Fran Drescher is funny despite that voice, but a show like this would get canceled after the very first episode today and be accused of peddling Jewish stereotypes.

Not it wouldn't. Transparent, the show with Jeffrey Tambor on Amazon Prime is essentially a jewish show with all the jokes and stereotypes and no one bats an eye. It literally ended with a musical number with lots of puns about the holocaust.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 10, 2021 5:29 AM

[quote] Lauren Lane was gorgeous back then.

She's even better now.

[quote] Surprised she can't find the right vehicle sense; she knows her way around a good punchline.

She keeps alluding to a possible reboot. When promoting that show with Adam Pauley she mentioned many times she could do the nanny today with Cardi B and she would be the right "ethnic" replacement, her words not mine.

by Anonymousreply 83April 10, 2021 5:34 AM

Fran should have had Rosie O'Donnell appear on her show and compete with her over who was the bigger Streisand (and Midler) fan.

by Anonymousreply 84April 10, 2021 7:52 AM

My favorite moments from the show:

1. After finding out that Brighton has been smoking, Fran laments, "I am the worst nanny in the world." She pauses for a beat and then says, "OK, maybe Rebecca de Mornay, then me."

2. Fran, Sylvia and Yetta slapping each other after an argument.

3. Fran trying to convince Maggie to spend her summer in a convent. "I got two words for you. Sounda Music."

4. During a family quarrel over a will, Fran's uncle says something like, "Our side of the family has done well." Sylvia responds, "What well? My daughter is a maid." Fran, who has been gorging on a sandwich, protests, "Nanny, ma!" with her mouth full.

Maybe they were all corny moments and not particularly witty, but as someone wrote up thread, it's like comfort food. Very old-fashioned feel good comedy and Fran Drescher has great comedy timing.

by Anonymousreply 85April 10, 2021 8:02 AM

[quote] Fran should have had Rosie O'Donnell appear on her show and compete with her over who was the bigger Streisand (and Midler) fan.

Rosie played a cab driver where Fran lost something valuable (a ring?) in the cab.

by Anonymousreply 86April 10, 2021 8:09 AM

[quote] Rosie played a cab driver where Fran lost something valuable (a ring?) in the cab.

Wasn't there also an episode where Nanny Fine was in the audience for the Rosie show and got interviewed by Rosie? Or was it Regis and Kunty Lee?

by Anonymousreply 87April 10, 2021 9:46 AM

I never saw it. Based on DL advise I watched Frasier and loved it.

I am now watching Murphy Brown.

Before the lockdowns I never watched any tv.

by Anonymousreply 88April 10, 2021 9:52 AM

R78 that's not her real voice.

by Anonymousreply 89April 11, 2021 2:39 PM

Fran's voice is just a part of her exaggerated TV persona. Think Gilbert Gottfried or Jean Stapleton or Sam Kinison. Her real voice is more subdued.

by Anonymousreply 90April 11, 2021 2:43 PM

I enjoyed Fran's short lived TV Land sitcom Happily Divorced. It even had Shaughnessy guest star as a bisexual playboy who wanted a threesome with Fran and her gay ex husband.

by Anonymousreply 91April 11, 2021 2:46 PM

I love this show and think it's vastly underappreciated.

However.....I seem to remember a lot of gossip about how cunty Fran is/was, how she would want all the funny lines, etc.

by Anonymousreply 92April 11, 2021 2:59 PM

Fran would never be cunty R92. You're thinking of Cybil Shephard.

by Anonymousreply 93April 11, 2021 3:13 PM

R78 is illiterate.

by Anonymousreply 94April 11, 2021 3:14 PM

[quote] You're thinking of Cybil Shephard.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 95April 11, 2021 3:26 PM

Oh, dear, what R95? Did I misspell her name? Pffft.

by Anonymousreply 96April 11, 2021 3:29 PM

BOTH names, R96. Brava!

by Anonymousreply 97April 11, 2021 3:30 PM

As I said, Pffftttt....I don't care. She's always been overrated, in both looks and talent.

by Anonymousreply 98April 11, 2021 3:32 PM

Who the fuck could care if Cybil Shepard's name is spelled correctly? That is bizarre OCD shit.

by Anonymousreply 99April 11, 2021 3:36 PM

R99 No, that's called basic intelligence. Which you clearly lack.

by Anonymousreply 100April 11, 2021 3:47 PM

If you care about a topic and your argument, you take the time and check your comment's grammar and spelling. People tend to take comments, with proper grammar and spelling, more seriously.

And yes, I had to do a quick check regarding serious vs. seriously.

by Anonymousreply 101April 11, 2021 3:58 PM

Actually, r100, spelling and the presumed need for it is about education. Intelligence has nothing to do with it. Since you are all about improving others, I thought you would want to know.

by Anonymousreply 102April 11, 2021 4:36 PM

It's such a fun and charming show based on the I Love Lucy formula and it worked. There were even the same stakes as I Love Lucy

Fran = Lucy

Mr. Sheffield = Ricky

Niles = Ethel

CC = Fred

by Anonymousreply 103April 11, 2021 4:41 PM

When the Nanny started, I thought what an old, outdated concept. Who'd have a nanny in the nineties? And the concept really sounded like a rehash of 80s 'Who's the boss'. And on top of that they re-used even the set for the pilot. So I really didn't have high hopes. But man the show was enjoyable right from the start. The star clicked right away with the audience, the writing was sharp , and the supporting characters were written well and utilized just to the right amount.

by Anonymousreply 104April 11, 2021 4:42 PM

Fran and Mr Sheffield had great chemistry with each other. Even the kids were able to act like they genuinely adored Fran.

by Anonymousreply 105April 11, 2021 4:49 PM

[quote]If you care about a topic and your argument, you take the time and check your comment's grammar and spelling. People tend to take comments, with proper grammar and spelling, more seriously.

That's fine for a work document or an academic paper, but on an internet forum where people quickly type their random thoughts, and the subject of which is a half-forgotten actress from the 80s, nobody's going to approach the topic as if it's a dissertation. And you're a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 106April 11, 2021 4:50 PM

[quote]When the Nanny started, I thought what an old, outdated concept. Who'd have a nanny in the nineties? And the concept really sounded like a rehash of 80s 'Who's the boss'. And on top of that they re-used even the set for the pilot.

That's because the producers of The Nanny created Who's the Boss.

They made a second season Who's the Boss backdoor pilot with Donna Dixon and Fran Drescher called Charmed Lives which never got picked up. So Fran had previous experience working with them.

by Anonymousreply 107April 11, 2021 4:56 PM

r106, this is an anonymous message board. Your comment, or comments, is all the reader has to create a mental picture of you. And I'm sorry to say, I don't get a pretty picture of you. I can't see how anybody can.

[quote] And you're a cunt.

I rest my case.

by Anonymousreply 108April 11, 2021 5:04 PM

It is extremely disappointing that Fran Drescher turned out to be one of those anti-vaxxer covidiot conspiritualists.

by Anonymousreply 109April 11, 2021 5:20 PM

R92, I read that too but I find that hard to believe. I've watched the show a few times and there were few (if any) lines that don't make sense the way they are said. In cybill, it's obvious many of those lines were written for Cybill just because she demanded to outshine Baranski. But I don't see that in The Nanny.

by Anonymousreply 110April 11, 2021 5:29 PM

R104, a ton of people in Manhattan have nannies. It's a competitive business--way more than in Chicago where I live.

by Anonymousreply 111April 11, 2021 5:30 PM

[quote]Who'd have a nanny in the nineties?

Lots of people. One of the perks of wealth is not having to raise your own kids.

by Anonymousreply 112April 11, 2021 5:34 PM

r108 you type like an old lady.

by Anonymousreply 113April 11, 2021 5:36 PM

Lots of wealthy people in NYC have nannies. It's always been very common among that class.

by Anonymousreply 114April 11, 2021 5:37 PM

It was I Love Lucy for the 90s, with a scheming ditz who is always getting in trouble to the chagrin of her hunky husband/boss.

by Anonymousreply 115April 11, 2021 5:37 PM

[quote]Who'd have a nanny in the nineties?

They still have them in the '10s!

by Anonymousreply 116April 11, 2021 5:41 PM

I don't know about Fran being a diva, but Peter and her separated towards the end of the shows run when he announced he was gay. The last year or two was a professional but chilly atmosphere. Thankfully they worked through it and are now good friends.

I think Fran has said the show should have ended with the wedding, and that the last year was a mistake in retrospect. But CBS was threw a lot of money at them to stay on so they did. CBS also did the show dirty in its last season. They pulled it after February sweeps, bringing it back in late May to air the finale. The problem is they didn't air the five episodes prior to the finale until mid summer. So viewers saw Fran coming home with a new baby weeks before they saw her give birth and Niles and CC newlyweds before they even had their wedding. I think the proposal episode might have dumped during that summer as well.

Anyway, it was a mess of an ending to a good show.

by Anonymousreply 117April 11, 2021 5:44 PM

r99 It's spelled Cybill.

by Anonymousreply 118April 11, 2021 5:46 PM

r118 And Shepherd.

by Anonymousreply 119April 11, 2021 5:47 PM

Nobody gives a fuck r118.

by Anonymousreply 120April 11, 2021 5:48 PM

[quote]but Peter and her separated towards the end of the shows run

Oh, dear. (x2)

by Anonymousreply 121April 11, 2021 5:48 PM

[quote]CBS also did the show dirty in its last season. They pulled it after February sweeps, bringing it back in late May to air the finale. The problem is they didn't air the five episodes prior to the finale until mid summer. So viewers saw Fran coming home with a new baby weeks before they saw her give birth and Niles and CC newlyweds before they even had their wedding. I think the proposal episode might have dumped during that summer as well.

For syndication, do they still show the episodes out of order? I only catch the show here and there, so never paid any attention to see if they rearranged them so that the storyline makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 122April 11, 2021 5:51 PM

Can someone set the oh dear troll on fire? THX.

by Anonymousreply 123April 11, 2021 5:52 PM

r115 And Niles and C.C. were Fred and Ethel.

by Anonymousreply 124April 11, 2021 5:53 PM

r123 It's cute that you think there's just one of them.

by Anonymousreply 125April 11, 2021 5:57 PM

r124 And Yetta was Mrs. Trumbull.

by Anonymousreply 126April 11, 2021 5:58 PM

All of them should be set on fire. Every damn thread, constantly. It's a fucking internet forum with hundreds of posts every day, not the damn National Review. Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 127April 11, 2021 5:58 PM

[quote]Fran's voice is just a part of her exaggerated TV persona. Think Gilbert Gottfried or Jean Stapleton or Sam Kinison. Her real voice is more subdued.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128April 11, 2021 7:55 PM

[quote]It is extremely disappointing that Fran Drescher turned out to be one of those anti-vaxxer covidiot conspiritualists.

Yeah, well they said she was a Trumper too because he was on her show 20 years ago. She is good friends with Rosie, not show biz friends but stay at each other's place when they are on the opposite coasts. Since they made "Car 54, Where Are You?" in 1994

by Anonymousreply 129April 11, 2021 8:01 PM

Can't believe I started a cat fight over the spelling of Cybill's name between two total strangers.🤣

That's why I love all you bitches.

by Anonymousreply 130April 12, 2021 9:28 PM

Did Yetta’s pussy stink? Well did it???

by Anonymousreply 131April 12, 2021 10:48 PM

I cant stand her voice...it's as if she's was channeling Teresa Giudice all those yrs

by Anonymousreply 132April 12, 2021 11:11 PM

I wonder if Fran took inspiration from Katey Sagal's performance as Peggy Bundy on Married with Children. Katey, similar to Fran, gave the character a high pitched whiny voice for comedic effect. Also Peggy had similarly tacky makeup, fashion and hair to indicate she was lower class and aging but still wanted to be seen as sexy. And similar to Fran, her character was always horny yet her husband wasn't interested.

by Anonymousreply 133April 12, 2021 11:43 PM

No, r133, just...

by Anonymousreply 134April 12, 2021 11:47 PM

R134

I also forgot. Jackee Harry played a similarly flamboyant character on 227 which also predated The Nanny.

by Anonymousreply 135April 13, 2021 12:16 AM

She was funnier than Sybil Shepird!

by Anonymousreply 136April 13, 2021 12:50 AM

Her clothes were all designer. Hardly Peg Bundy-ish.

by Anonymousreply 137April 13, 2021 1:07 AM

[quote]Did Yetta’s pussy stink? Well did it???

No, Niles kept it clean and tidy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138April 13, 2021 2:06 AM

I've never watched this show before and I've been enjoying it. I think it holds up well, and they snuck in some surprisingly dirty jokes.

by Anonymousreply 139April 13, 2021 2:18 AM

You could make the Nanny today r104. I guess it doesn't exist in flyover country, but in New York, LA, and the Bay the nanny industry is big.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140April 15, 2021 10:42 PM

[quote]Did Yetta’s pussy stink? Well did it???

How do you think her husband found her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141April 15, 2021 10:48 PM

Trapped in the wine cellar, Fran passes the time by giving C.C. a new do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142April 15, 2021 11:04 PM

R141 don't encourage the mentally ill troll. it posts about poop in other threads

by Anonymousreply 143April 15, 2021 11:31 PM

horrid show ewwwwwww

by Anonymousreply 144April 16, 2021 2:29 AM

I was watching an old (1983) episode of "Partners In Crime" on Britbox, and who should show up but a very young Mr. Sheffield!

The other memorable part of the episode was the line, "she stood up and a silver teaspoon fell out of her muff."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145April 16, 2021 3:12 PM

The Nanny is comfort tv to me. No thinking required and a good way to spend time before falling asleep plus she's gorgeous and he's hot as fuck. I wonder if they ever got together off set because they had great chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 146April 16, 2021 3:42 PM

25 Years Later, The Nanny Is Having Another Moment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147April 20, 2021 4:10 AM

[quote]The kids were well cast too and unlike other sitcoms, the children never took over the show with nauseatingly cutesy antics.

Nor did they add a Cousin Oliver when the youngest grew up like The Cosby Show, Married... with Children, Roseanne, and the Golden Palace.

by Anonymousreply 148April 20, 2021 4:25 AM

R38 Charles Shaugnessey discusses that in this clip (skip to 1:44)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149April 20, 2021 4:40 AM

R149, that's so funny.

by Anonymousreply 150April 20, 2021 5:53 AM

R149, I sometimes forget how well The Nanny used guest stars.

by Anonymousreply 151April 20, 2021 5:53 AM

Don't know if it's a DL running joke or not, but there's a persistent rumor across previous Nanny threads that Ben Salisbury is hung like a porn star and was nicknamed "Ben with Ten." He left acting and is now of operations at Universal Studios Hollywood. He has a wife and three kids, despite pinging like crazy and despite another rumor that he took Justin Berfield's virginity.

In any case, he looks like hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152April 20, 2021 6:31 AM

^ director of operations ^

by Anonymousreply 153April 20, 2021 6:32 AM

Good for Ben Salisbury. He was one of the few who knew he would never make it as an adult actor and moved on with his life instead of becoming a total crazy embarrassment like so many of them who just don't know when to pack it up and change careers.

by Anonymousreply 154April 20, 2021 6:33 AM

YouTube currently has CAPTAIN RON available as a free movie, so I watched it over the weekend. Ben Salisbury is in it as the son of Martin Short and Mary Kay Place. I was thinking that may have been what got him noticed for THE NANNY since the movie and show were only one year apart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155April 20, 2021 6:40 AM

James Marsden's character Eddie appeared twice in the first season of THE NANNY. In his second episode, he and Maggie officially go out on a date, with Fran serving as chaperone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156April 20, 2021 6:48 AM

[quote]n any case, he looks like hell.

Actually he looks fine and except for the hair, scroll up and if he doesn't look like he could be related to Charles Shaugnessey.

By the way Charles Shaugnessey went on to Broadway in the musical "Urinetown" Met him at The Broadway Cares Equity Fights AIDS Annual Flea Market and co-starred with Christine Ebersol in the Paper Mill Playhouse production of "Ever After" the musical adaption of the Drew Barrymore Cinderella movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157April 21, 2021 2:44 AM

I just watched the French Tutor episode with Paolo Seganti and damn he was so sexy in this. You know Fran was happy to make sure they were kissing all episode.

by Anonymousreply 158May 5, 2021 11:18 PM

Funny that when this was on originally I never paid much attention to Mr. Sheffield, but on this rewatch I’m finding him quite sexy.

by Anonymousreply 159May 6, 2021 1:59 AM

Watch this, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160May 6, 2021 2:20 AM

How could you not notice r159? Mr. Sheffield being good looking is built into the premise of the show, Fran and CC constantly fighting for him.

by Anonymousreply 161May 6, 2021 8:18 PM

I know, r161, he was objectively handsome. Maybe “didn’t notice” was the wrong phrase. I guess I didn’t want to fuck him when I was watching it back then? Now when I watch it, I want to rip off those 90s pleated dad pants, and bend him over his big desk!

by Anonymousreply 162May 6, 2021 11:26 PM

it and its star are the epitome of repulsive and brain ded.

by Anonymousreply 163May 7, 2021 3:31 AM

Look at the genius at r163. Graduate of the Sally Struthers Degree Mill, I see.

by Anonymousreply 164May 7, 2021 3:40 AM

Great Instagram account: " What Fran Wore"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165May 9, 2021 7:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!